-Chapter 3-

Vedant Malhotra was a very wise man

Vedant Malhotra was a very wise man. He rarely spoke but when he did, people listened. He was the typical alpha male who exhibited dominance, rather he was someone who people wanted to respect. What made him so special was his ability to analyze situations and emotions. He could always read his children's emotions, and at that moment he knew that Vikky was upset. The boy was not showing it. He was his cheerful self, trying his best to crack jokes and blend in, but that was the point, he was trying very hard.

Vedant let him have his way for a few minutes. He knew Vikky could not pretend for ever. The boy became upset only when Vivek scolded him. He did not understand why his son would scold him when Vikky was upset. Vivek always made it a point to be gentle with the boy. He wanted to know what happened.

"Kya kaha tere buddy ne?" He gently nudged Vikky.

Vikky stiffened but then gave a big smile, "Yahe ke aapko bohot careful rehna chaye. You should be resting pops. Chalo sojao jaldi se." He lowered the bed to a sleeping position as he spoke.

"Vikky you know you cannot lie, bacha. Batayega nehi pops ko. Kya hua?"

"Nothing pops. Aap khamakha pareshaan ho rahe ho. Dad kyun mughe datenge?"

"Dad?"

Vikky looked away. He should have been careful. His pops was a very smart man. He knew he called his buddy dad only when he was scared or upset. Despite the 17 years difference in their ages, Vivek Malhotra was his best friend. Vivek gave him the freedom to address him the way he wanted to, he let him do things his way, he fulfilled his every wish to the best of his ability. That was the reason why Vikky never spoke a word against him. What ever happened, was between him and his buddy, he would never let a third person come in-between. Not even his loving pops.

"Vikky....."

The door opened and Vivek stepped in. Vedat looked at his son. Their eyes met. He could see the distress in his son's eyes. He had not seen the anguish in 17 years and that scared him. Vikky saw him come and turned away. After what transpired in the cafeteria, he was not forgiving his buddy easily.