Love and Deepwater • A Rafaye...

By xjinminisrealx

Rafayel's has been all alone waiting for Enoria to comeback to him after her bride decided to sacrifice herse... More

Disclaimer
Season one
God of The Seas
Rafayel Legacy
Meeting someone Special
Goodbye
Muscle pulls
Heart Scale
Banquet flattery
Cheese in The Trap
Under the moon we meet
I missed you
Heartbeats
The Lemurian Games
To save them all
Hidden in plain sight
Storyteller
The First
Coral stone
Strawberries
Playing with fire
Slowly reaching out to you
Fleeting moments
Facing reality
Tides of longing
The final breath
Hug of the Sea
Season two
Return to Lemuria
End of the World

Truths

140 13 2
By xjinminisrealx

The Human capital of the Southern Shore trembled, once full of opulence, now chaos and fear could be felt from everywhere.

In two weeks, many treasured Lemurians escaped from their tanks, tainting their captor's walls and floors in bloody crimson. More than fifteen noble houses were killed, and only two families managed to remain untouched and thankfully alive after their treasured Lemurian was stolen, having escaped without being seen at all. Noble houses, once revered, were in ruin—the blood of fifteen of them mingling with the dust of their homes.

It was known that The Lord of the Southern Shore was in a state of anxiety, as he paced the marble halls of his palace. The loss of the Merfolk reverberated through the corridors, a seismic shift in the delicate balance of Human power.

If the other Human capitals were to learn about their disastrous loss, it would undoubtedly shift the power dynamics and potentially lead to an attack on their land. The situation was even more dire as they still needed to find the root cause of all their merfolk's disappearances.

The core of this tragedy eluded them, it was an enigma wrapped in shadows. How had the Lemurians achieved the impossible? After the first attack, how had they infiltrated homes guarded by steel and suspicion? How had they moved through the city like ghosts, unseen and unheard? They needed to find whoever was responsible that had achieved something almost impossible... to attack homes that were heavily guarded, move through the city without being noticed, and exist under the watchful gaze of a city that was becoming increasingly vigilant and afraid.

The Lord knew that gaining time was essential, and they needed to act swiftly to restore order and calm their nobles and commoners alike.

And so, The Lord sought a weapon, a myth believed to offer ultimate power. He needed a tide-changer, a force capable of shifting the currents in this silent war of conquest between humanity and their unending search for riches and eternal life.

But where would he find it? The myth that started the Lemurian Crusades. In ancient texts? In forbidden rituals? Or perhaps in the eyes of a captive Lemurian, the one who unknownly to the Lord, had slipped through their fingers like water?

He called for the Lemurian Keepers and the Hunters, they needed to accelerate their searchings for that.

As the city burned with anxiety, The Lord vowed to uncover the truth of the attacks. For the Southern Shore was no longer a haven, it was a battleground, and the stakes were higher than any throne. The merfolk had vanished, leaving behind a riddle —a riddle that held the key to survival or annihilation.

The moon hung low in the indigo sky, its silver glow casting elongated shadows across the castle. One night, after returning from wandering outside to explore and get intel to continue with his mission, Rafayel decided to get back early to the castle and rest for the night.

Now, the act of infiltration and saving his kin was harder than before, he had the spend hours wandering, spying, and exploring around the houses before entering and saving lives. In his wanderings, Rafayel listened to the hushed conversations of guards. He spied for the hidden entrances, the secret passages, the forgotten open windows, and possible tunnels to enter said houses. Rafayel explored the human hearts, desires, and fears of the guards, nobility, and common people. He mapped the castle's defenses, the guard rotations, and the weak points of the noble district.

During these nights, of wandering outside and returning home early to rest, Rafayel spent more time with the First, learning about Humans, about the Lord and its plans, as he used to confide in Lukian after hundreds of years of coexistence, trusting that he would never be backstabbed.

The First, ancient and wise, shared secrets like precious pearls washed ashore.

In Lukian's tales, Rafayel learnt about the Lord's name: Hendrick Stormborne.

About the name of the Capital, Phitia.

He learned about how Humans captured Lemurians, using mostly reinforced nets to catch them while they were moving underwater.

How they used powerful ballistic from canons to destroy their underwater palaces, urging them to leave their homes and swim, just to be captured in reinforced nets.

It started with just the most attractive mermen and sirens, changing to capture as much as they could when the importance of getting Lemurian became equivalent to how powerful a nation was.

He discovered how they used to abuse them, using just the amount of salt to keep them weak but alive.

But the most crucial fact that Rafayel got to know was about a certain Prophecy given by the Foreseer of Astra to Humans, years before the Lemurian prophecy was given to mermen.

Humans started the Lemurian crusades because of some kind of prophecy stating that there was a powerful weapon called Heart of The Sea hidden underwater.

'The Orb of Sea... is a powerful artifact that is believed by Humans to have limitless power. Humans believe that it has been hidden on a remote island in the deepest of the ocean. Or a temple. Or inside a deep cave. Never mind...' Lukian said, that night, comfortably floating on the water bank. 'It is also said that it can create an entirely new world for whoever gets its hands on it. However, because of its power, even though nobody found proof about its existence, most Humans have not given up on the chase... and it is still being hunted.'

Rafayel shrugged, confused.

'But there's nothing of the sort in Lemuria' He said, trying to recall his King keeping a weapon or artifact of said powers hidden in the Palace.

Lukian nodded.

'I told my Lord so' He answered, sad. 'I tried to prevent more attacks by advising him that this all-powerful orb didn't exist and that the Crusades they were fighting for were for something non-existent. But he never believed me. He said that a part of the omen already happened so he would keep attempting to encounter it, as would all the other Humans as well. Just the amount of power and riches they were attaining by collecting us was enough payment for all the endeavors deep-sea of the Hunters'

Rafayel was lost in thought, humming to himself as he mulled over the possibilities. He couldn't help but wonder what would happen if his King-father had possessed the Orb he heard so much about. Surely, it would have been a powerful tool to change the fate of Lemuria for the better. However, the reality was that the so-powerful Orb was nowhere to be found, and instead, of seeking protection, the people of Lemuria had been forced to turn to their Gods for help.

Despite his doubts, Rafayel knew that their prayers had been answered. His existence was proof enough that through divine intervention, the balance between Humans and merfolk had been partially restored. While the Orb may exist or not, and even though it could be a powerful tool, it was clear that the Gods above had a plan for Lemuria that did not involve its use.

Another day, after Rafayel returned from one of his ventures outside, tired and aching all over his body, Lukian decided to ask him a question that had been bothering him for a while, since he got to know Rafayel.

'How are you this powerful?' He asked, looking at him as if looking through his soul.

He saw Rafayel teleporting with flames, appearing when he called him, lost in his thoughts whilst talking alone with someone, how he turned the water of Lukian's tank into the purest of deep water with just a breath. It felt ominous and Lukian couldn't believe his own eyes. It was as if the universe itself bent to Rafayel's command.

Rafayel paused for several moments in thought, he then leaned back against the wall, still in Human form, wearing the clothes given to him by the princess and crossing his arms. The clothes even appeared and disappeared as he wished, when turning between Lemurian and Human forms.

He looked away for a brief moment before he answered the question.

'I am this powerful due to my... bloodline' He started. 'I carry a sacred power that somewhat resides within me' He paused. 'If you mean the powers that I possess of controlling water and fire... I had these powers since I was born' He answered, trying to be vague.

Lukian insisted.

'But you can do the unthinkable!' He tried to press. 'But the feats I've witnessed... are ... almost...' His voice cracked, tears forming in his eyes, tears that turned like pearls and fell onto the floor of the tank, spiraling endlessly. 'divine' He finished, voice trembling and soft.

Rafayel considered telling him the truth. Lukian would be the last one he would save and he felt like he could trust him. Thanks to him, his mission progressed, and he got precious intel about Humans, his bonded Lord, and most importantly, the knowledge of another prophecy existing. Lukian had aided him so trust had blossomed between them, fragile yet vital.

Rafayel decided to approach the tank, paces controlled and silent. Lately, they were guards staying behind closed doors, protecting the Royal family's most-priced Lemurian from the attacks happening in the city. He looked at Lukian, earnestly.

'You must swear to keep it a secret until the King decides to inform our people of...' He paused. 'the whole extent of my power' His gaze held Lukian's, imploring and resolute. 'This' He signaled himself. 'Needs to be kept hidden' He said, deep voice soft and sad.

Lukian put his hand on the heart scale and bowed. Rafeyel felt the bow taking place on his very being. 'I swear, your Grace'

Rafayel felt a surge of nervousness as he prepared to speak. He took a deep breath, rubbed the back of his neck, and cleared his throat to compose himself.

Despite his attempts to remain calm, he could feel his ears burning and a blush spreading across his cheeks. This was the first time he would openly acknowledge his true status to someone else, rather than having it revealed to him by others. It was a significant moment for him, as he had kept this secret to himself. Up until now, only the Queen herself and the King, maybe some advisors as well, knew the truth about his situation.

'I am a deity of the sea so.. it makes sense for me to be this powerful' He whispered, almost inaudible, voice small.

Lukian exhaled, trying to comprehend what he was heading. Eyes wide and mouth agape. Rafayel tried to continue talking, afraid of the silence. He opened and closed his hands, nervously. He was just a boy, and never felt as small as during that very moment.

'It is something I cannot describe nor explain, but it is also something that keeps growing in terms of strength and power' He said, looking into the ceiling. 'I was born with this power and was raised with it since I was a young child. At first, I didn't know how to control it, it was just something that happened from time to time. Talked with invisible friends, and fires appeared from nowhere underwater... I stayed a child for a long time, longer than most...' He blushed again, he was a child for hundreds of years, until his bond with Enoria, not knowing about what he did back then, giving her his heart scale. 'Suddenly I grew up, and the King ordered me to be trained, to train my body...' He exhaled, trying not to look into Lukian eyes. 'I learned to use my abilities since I was young, unconsciously, so I've had time to practice and master it somewhat. I have also been trained by several experts and masters to hone my craft and strength... other than that, I'm still discovering what I can do... I don't even know what the extent of my powers is...'

Lukian didn't know what to do and neither did Rafeyel. The air was heavy with all the truths that left his lips. He changed the weight of his legs, nervously. Lukian cleared his voice before talking.

'So... our prayers were answered' He murmured, voice cracking and more and more tears forming in his green orbs, pearls falling and spiraling, gliding through the water. Rafayel looked at him.
'We used to ask for a miracle, Lemurian was... we are no warriors, just artisans, and craftsman, little mages... We asked for help and you were given to us' He finished, eyes shining.

Born in the middle of a disaster, Rafayel thought, as his birth destroyed a whole town with the explosion of an underwater volcano. Rafayel, sometimes, didn't feel like a gift, but a harbinger of calamities as his birth mother died in there.

'I didn't know it until the Queen decided to speak with me about it' He said, a small smile on his lips. 'It was strange that I was homeschooled, never allowed to leave my chambers, never allowed to make friends outside of the Royal family, stayed a child for so, so long. Then, my powers sort of appeared one day, fire underwater, the capacity to learn everything, master anything, and control almost... the whole Sea. In ten years I was molded from being just a normal child to... this' He finished, looking at his ankles, moving his long legs uncomfortably.
He was still getting muscle pulls from time to time, his body still growing and changing each season.

Lukian kept quiet, waiting for him to keep speaking. Rafayel kept quiet instead.

'You will save Lemuria, your Grace' He said, eyes hopeful like never been. 'I firmly believe so'

Rafayel's expression was gentle but it became more stoic, his eyes narrowed as he spoke with what could be almost called certainty. He tried at least.

"I will save Lemuria... I will free and rescue it from the enslavement and torture of the Humans, as well as the destruction that they wreaked on Lemuria. It is the legacy that is expected of me, as the Prince of the Sea...' He took some air, considering what to say. 'But I have a more personal drive to liberate Lemuria, it's something that I cannot forgive the humans for... the injustice and the sins they have committed against our people, to you...'

Lukian smiled for the first time.

'But there's something more' He guessed, voice playfully charming.

Rafayel blushed.

'I see it every day when the Hunters take you down from the Princess chambers... you glow, you look happy and your eyes...' He looked at Rafayel with, a gentle smile. 'You look so much in love'

Rafayel felt his blush grow. He paused for several moments, as he chewed his lip. He knew exactly what Lukian was talking about, his relationship with the human girl was more than what it seemed. She was special, and he couldn't just let her go.

'I do love the princess. I will not lie... and regardless of the human's enslavement of us, you must understand that, her heart is genuine... she's not like the other humans that are cruel, harsh, and cold to our people... she's different. She's kind and gentle, she's genuine and caring... the human race may have committed atrocities against us, but she's not the same' He finished, speaking fast and lower, afraid that his truth would be heard.

Lukian smiled, knowingly. His voice was soft, trying not to scare him. His gaze shifted to Rafayel's chest, where a pearly heart scale once resided.

'I did notice your missing Heart scale' He wondered, looking at it, the new one that formed after he gave Enorian his own, had changed to chocolate brown.

Rafayel's eyes widened, he suddenly became flustered and his face flushed with a pink hue, as he bit his lip. The question made him quite hesitant to answer and his voice trembled a bit.

"I... It was.. gifted to the princess.. yes."

Rafayel gulped as he looked down and his voice became a whisper.

'Well.. it... it was a promise and I vowed to protect her and care for her.. and a promise of finding her again... of my loyalty as well..' His voice was trembling so badly, at that moment, Rafayel didn't feel godly at all. 'To be honest, I was just a child, so the bond was unexpected, but the moment I was with her, after coming here, my body... my feelings... they reacted on its own... I don't understand it myself but... I think that even our heartbeats—once separated —became entwined, a symphony of shared existence.'

Lukian frowned.

'The princess was known to have a weak heart and frail health, so it was a surprise when she lived much longer than expected, even the Lord was surprised as well...' The older explained, trying to think logically about the truth given by Rafayel. 'Maybe it was an effect of giving her your heart scale and doing so, you, immortal, her, a mortal, became bonded and by doing so, you extended her life' He told, following the dots.

'Yes... I did give her my heart scale because I felt that her heart was failing her...' He whispered. 'I was just a child but felt a connection, I had to do something... so I gave it to her, and somehow it did save her, however, it also meant we were bonded... the bond was unexpected... but I don't regret it at all' He finished, looking at Lukian.

Rafayel's confession hung in the air, vulnerable and raw as they glanced at each other, considering what to say.

'So, did you mate her?' The first asked. His words were direct, unyielding. Weeks had passed since Rafayel's arrival, and his presence had become a constant in the princess's life, from sunrise to dawn.

Rafayel jolted, his facial expression was one of surprise and disbelief. He tried to remain polite but the way he spoke was more blunt and strict. His voice was a whisper and he was careful with his words.

"No, I have not mated with her...' He answered, flushed. 'I do not plan to either... she is still young, we are bonded, and as the Prince of the Sea, it would be immoral of me to do such a thing with her. At least for now' He finished, whispering fast.

Lukian understood.

'How old are you? He asked, curious.

'My body's maturity aligns with seventeen human years' He answered, timidly. Rafayel walked to his tank, humming when his tail appeared free of its confinement, enjoying the water. He turned it into seawater on the first day, the same as Lukian's water, which nowadays showed his acting ability, looking weak when he could jump and run away anytime he wanted. '817 Lemurian years '

Lukian exhaled. 'And you were a child for...?'

Rafayel blushed.

'810 years' He answered, timidly.

'So you gave the princess your heart scale and your body matured after that?' He asked, confused.

Rafayel shrugged and nodded.

Lukian knew that the princess was important to the Humans. He guessed that she also appeared in their prophecy and felt uneasy when knowing that their... God was bonded to her, an immortal god bound by sacrifice, a mortal princess whose life hung in a delicate balance. Lukian sensed destiny at play, written in the stars, and wondered about the girl who held Rafayel's heart.

'How old was she? Wait... how old is she now?' He asked, wondering.

'She is sixteen, about to turn seventeen' He answered. 'We were just kids when we bonded'

Lukian understood then, that Rafayel didn't feel the effects of Ebb and Flow because they were still teenagers, Mother Nature understood that it wasn't needed yet. Rafayel, if he was a normal Lemurian, would be considered an adult, Lukiam himself was considered an elder. But who knew, maybe Gods residing in the mortal plane matured differently.

'You still have time' He said. 'But do you want to mate her? Can you? You are the Crown Prince and have your duties and responsibilities as royalty' He signaled, unafraid of saying so.

Lukian felt nearer to the male, after weeks of sharing a room, even more after Rafayel's confession. Almost as if he were his advisor or older sibling.

Rafayel sighed and he remained silent, his breathing became a little heavier as he struggled not to lose his composure, his face was red.

'I know that I can, that I can if I want to... I can choose to do so if I wish, mate her, I mean, but despite knowing I can, I think that I won't do it for a long time. It's the wrong thing to do. She is a human, and she's weak, she doesn't have the strength or stamina of a Lemurian.. it would only be irresponsible and wrong' He answered. 'I admit... I do have some sort of desire... my body cannot understand it yet, I think that I'm too young for that, but it feels wrong as I said... and she is weak...' He paused.

As for the other matter, about his duties, Rafayel hesitated. "the Kings expect me to mate a noble Lemurian. But the Queen spoke of possibilities," he confessed, voice barely audible. "A connection between Humans and Lemurians... that maybe it would be possible as the Crown Prince of the Sea, as part of my responsibilities, to mate with Enoria, hoping that the Ataroi bloodline continues and...' He said, hesitating briefly before he spoke, his voice a mere whisper. 'that the Humans and Lemurians would be able to be connected... somehow'

'You think that it's possible to do so?' Lukian asked, a knowing glint in his eyes. For him, after hundreds of years, it seemed impossible not to hate humankind.

Rafayel paused for a bit, he sighed and then he spoke again. His voice was more of a whisper, as he looked away a bit, he remained gentle and calm as he spoke.

"It is possible," Rafayel whispered, his gaze distant. "The Lemurians and Humans coexisted long ago before their hunger for power consumed them. It depends on their governance, whether they choose war or peace. I think that it is possible to unite... I fell in love and bonded a Human myself.'

Rafayel's facial expression was more soft and gentle, he smiled a little bit and his tone was filled with hope.

'I hope and wish you are right' Lukian said, unsure.

Rafayel expression softened, hope glimmering.

'I appreciate your wishes, but luck won't be necessary. I am determined,' Rafayel declared, cerulean-ruby eyes unwavering. 'I will save Lemuria and unite our species, ending this conflict. As a god and your Prince of the Sea, I will give my all.'

Lukian listened, torn between skepticism and longing. He wished for Rafayel's words to be true, but to his ears, after hundreds of years captive by Humans, he disagreed with the prince, who settled their conversation by closing his eyes, and Lukian followed suit, drifting into sleep.

At least, the truths shared today felt like they had achieved a milestone in their relationship, as he got to fully know a walking enigma given by the Gods themselves.

So Lukian, glancing at Rafayel through the glass of his tank, adopted a horizontal position, letting himself float to sleep but his brain running miles. He would likely need some time to digest all the information that was given to him, searching for all the possibilities and outcomes that might happen.

It all seemed too... convenient, too... fated to happen.

The breathing of Rafayel was the only sound that could be heard in the room, at least, until sunrise came. And with it, the starting of a new day.

~~~~~~

Omg, this is the longest chapter I wrote for this fic, about 4000 words. I just wanted Rafayel to talk about his issues with a friend and also, give clues about what's to come.

I'm trying for it to be canon but truth to be told, mostly everything is from my own thinking and imagination.

We have so little info about Rafayel's life before the memories given to us. So excuse me if I let my imagination fly.

Thank you for reading and loving this story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 4.9K 15
Sassy university student turned Sea Spirit × Saintly Mysterious Royal Sorcerer I am a normal university student. When I opened my eyes from my nap...
1.7K 42 33
A girl who only got shown hatred and disgust, she dies at the hands of her adoptive sister that everyone knows and loves. Her sister is from a place...
911 90 27
My heart, which had been fluttering nervously in my chest, dropped to the soles of my feet. Familiar blue eyes met mine. In my dreams they were stee...
414 4 35
I fell in love with a man I have never met. He doesn't even know that I exist. How is that possible to inherit an obsession with a man I can never ha...