An Unexpected Romance

By WWoodford

Chikako must submit to an arranged marriage with the much older and irritable Tobirama, what will come of it... More

Credits and Disclaimers
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 30

54 3 0
By WWoodford

"You did an excellent job with breakfast." Akira collected the dirty plates to wash them. "Did you have plans for today Chikako?"

Chikako worked to hold back her smile at the compliment. "I thought I'd show mother around Konoha and introduce her to some people and I'd like to find Takao and Kei and make sure they're comfortable. Are you up to that mother?"

It had been two days since they'd arrived back in Konoha. Even in that short time her mother's face seemed brighter, her smile easier and her laugh lighter.

"I think so." Her mother joined Akira, pulling a dishcloth off it's peg.

"Akira, I'd love it if you'd join us. Tobirama will be be busy all day with setting up a training schedule for my father's men."

"You're right. I will be." Tobirama's deep voice still made Chikako weak in the knees. He stood in the doorway, sweaty and dirty from training. "I imagine their training will take a lot of my time while they're here." He retrieved his breakfast from where it had been set aside, settling at the table to eat. "You'll find Takao and Kei in the encampment near the large training field."

"Are they settling in?" Chikako joined him while he ate.

He nodded and sipped at his tea.

They chatted about the coming day as he ate.

When he was finished he rose, "I need to be back. I'll be here for dinner." He pulled her into his arms and kissed her. "See you then, Chika."

When he'd left and the kitchen had been cleaned up Chikako led her mother into the village. Akira had begged off saying she had things she wanted to see to.

They walked slowly while Chikako told her the little she knew about the Konoha.

"I think we should go see Mito first. I want to find out how the baby is doing." Chikako replied when her mother finally asked where they were headed.

"Mito is the Hokage's wife, right? She was there when we arrived."

"She's the first friend I made here. She made me feel at home when I was new and introduced me to everyone." Chikako smiled at the memory of Mito dragging her away from the crowd the day she'd arrived.

When they arrived Chikako knocked on the door and slid it open when she heard Mito call out.

"Chikako! How are you?" Mito turned her attention to Maki. "Are you settling in?"

"I am thank you." Maki smiled.

"I'm bringing mother around the village and introducing her to people. Would you join us?"

The three women wandered around a section of the village for shops that were yet to be opened but there were benches there and people already used the area to gather and socialize. They were sitting in the shade on one of those benches when a man came by and Mito called out to him.

"Shikaya! I have someone to introduce you to."

He was taller than Chikako by a few inches, his black hair pulled back at the crown of his head. "Mito. It's been a long time since I've seen you. How is Tsunade doing?"

"She's well. Have you met Tobirama's wife yet?"

"I'd heard he'd married, someone from Iwa, right? " He looked at both Chikako and Maki as if trying to figure out which was which.

Chikako stood and offered him a bow. "I'm Chikako, Tobirama's wife."

"It's nice to meet you." He turned his gaze to Maki. "Who are you lucky enough to travel with?"

"This is my mother, Maki. She's come to live with me."

Shikaya turned his full attention on Maki and tipped his head to her. "Welcome to Konoha Maki."

"Thank you." Maki returned his greeting with a blush.

"You're Hata's daughter then? I had dealings with him many years ago."

Chikako swallowed the urge to ask how her father had manipulated him.

"Has something happened to him? Is that why your mother is here with you?" His forehead wrinkled with the question.

"I missed her. I'm selfish and I brought her home with me." Chikako laughed nervously, she hadn't counted on people asking why her mother was here. Relief washed over her when he dropped the question.

"Are you touring the village? Or running an errand?"

"We're just out walking. Showing the village to my mother."

"Would you be interested in seeing the Nara herds? We just got them moved into the new forest area."

"I'm afraid I need to head home but you should both go, they're beautiful creatures." Mito sighed.

"I'd love to see them, what about you mother?" Chikako said after saying goodbye to Mito.

All the way across the village they chatted amiably, Shikaya asking about Iwa and their trip here and Maki inquiring about the Nara clan. "I remember my mother and grandmother mentioning Nara medicine when I was a little girl. I never thought I'd meet a Nara." She smiled at him.

At the edge of the forest they leaned on the fence admiring the beauty of the animals that the Nara clan raised and kept for the purpose of their craft. "They are very beautiful, Shikaya, thank you for bringing us here to see them." Maki said.

"You're welcome Maki." His eyes were warm and welcoming as he smiled at her.

"We should head home, it's getting late and I want to help with dinner." Chikako was reluctant to leave.

"I'll walk you home." Shikaya offered each woman an arm to hold as he walked them back to their home. "Will you be living with Chikako and Tobirama, Maki?"

"As long as they don't mind. I have no desire to live alone." She was quiet a moment. "What about you? Do you have a wife?"

"I did, she died several years ago." Sadness laced his words.

"I'm so sorry. Do you live with your children?"

"I'm on my own. We weren't blessed with children. The clan elders have been on me to remarry but I just don't have the heart for it. I imagine time will change that."

Her mother nodded. Chikako stayed quiet, glad to see her mother making friends.

"Well, here we are. Another mission completed for me." He laughed. "I enjoyed the afternoon with you two ladies. May I call again for another walk soon?"

Chikako answered for them. "We'd love that Shikaya. Thank you.

Tobirama was sitting in the living room when they went inside. "I didn't expect to get home first."

"Tobirama! Mito introduced us to Shikaya Nara and he showed us the Nara herds." She let her excitement flow over him and then sobered, realizing she hadn't accomplished what she'd set out to do. "I never did get to find Takao and Kei."

"I invited them to come over after dinner tonight. They're interested in seeing you as well."

Takao and Kei both arrived just as they were finishing dinner. Akira shooed them into the living room to visit, saying she'd take care of clean up.

"How is training going? Are you settling in?" Chikako smiled at both men. She didn't miss Iwa, but it felt good to spend time with people she'd known all her life.

"It's going well. I'm looking forward to returning to Iwa and sharing what I've learned." Takao said.

Kei agreed. "Of course I miss Momo but I know she's in good hands with her family and this training will be helpful."

"Mother, Momo's going to have a baby while Kei is here. I wonder what she'll have?" Chikako said.

"As long as it's healthy and Momo is too then it won't matter." Kei said.

"You'll have to send word when you know, Kei. I want to know they are well too." Chikako smiled at him.

Later that night, when the men had left and everyone had gone to bed, Chikako lay in Tobirama's arms enjoying his warmth and strength. They'd visited with Takao and Kei for a long time before the men rose to leave saying they needed to be well rested in the morning.

"I think my mother enjoyed herself today. Shikaya has met my father and strange as it may seem I think that helped her feel a little less alone."

"I'm glad." Tobirama rolled up to look at her, yawning as he did.

"Go to sleep. We'll talk tomorrow." She pushed him back down on his back and snuggled into his shoulder. They were both asleep in minutes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 335 13
Meera Yagami, the sister of the Yagami clan leader Hiroshi Yagami. It was decided that Meera Yagami was to be wedded to Hashirama Senju to seal the a...
41.5K 1.3K 41
What will happen when a godess of war appears and joins madara uchiha on his life journey?
1.3K 86 17
Growing up in wartime was hard for everyone, be them adults or children alike; Saruyama Senju was no exception. She had seen people come and go so ma...
18.1K 440 25
Having a terrible start with Madara you both despised each other after an accident between you two one morning on your way to work. Thinking you woul...