A Friend of Another Friend

By bb2410

Misty Louise Paul has lived most of her childhood immersed in her studies and her favorite pass time...puzzle... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Fourty
Chapter Fourty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Four

307 13 2
By bb2410

-Tessly's P.O.V.-

-5 days later-

"That guy comes here everyday, who is he?" Lindsay said as she pushed back the curtains at the front of the door watching Chase outside in front of the yard holding his 5th bouquet of flowers in his hand and a apologetic look on his face. Same shit, every single day. I got used to him being out there I usually didn't notice until someone pointed it out, like right now.

"I don't know, but he's cute." Bianca said checking him out.

If only they found out how cute his personality was. We were going to start a Zeta meeting and I didn't need these two girls scoping out the enemy from the windows, we needed everyone focused. I headed over to Lindsay and Bianca and pulled them from the windows, they whined and complained.

"Heyyy." Lindsay groaned.

"Hush! We have a Zeta meeting, focus." I said pushing them both into the direction of the meeting area. Everyone was there, Misty and Alex were checking something off a list while the girls chattered amongst themselves.

Misty clapped her hands together after a moment of checking things together.

"Alright, ladies!! We are throwing another fundraiser for Little Children's Hospital in Indiana and we're going to need your help...we're having a bake sale." She said.

The girls cheered.

"We're baking the sweets to sell not eat." Alex pipped in.

"BOOO!!!" Chrishell yelled out and the girls laughed, including myself.

Alex went into detail about the entire thing assigning girls different goods to bake, I was stuck with pie...I didn't even know how to make a pie, but it really wasn't much of a problem for me since there was always YouTube how-to's and my superior cooking skills.

A part of me was listening to what was going on and the other was staring blankly ahead into the distance, lost in my own thoughts and worries. After a while I felt eyes on me and I turned to look and see Misty who was staring at me with a worried glance, she's been looking at me like that for the past couple of days, and although I appreciate her concern for me, I could handle myself.

She turned back to the group and spoke to them.

"We're also hosting a party/talent show here near the summer time, towards our fundraiser car-wash, so if you guys have any talents or friends with talents be sure to let us know so we can have a definite amount of people up on the stage." She said.

I nodded pretty impressed with the ideas Alex and Misty were coming up with to make this sorority original and different, a lot of girls were thinking of transferring to our chapter, and some couldn't wait for rush so they could get in as well.

It wasn't hard for Misty and Alex to rally up people, they were both breath-taking and the kind of people you wanted to be around. Misty used to be a lot more shy and introverted, now she was taking her role as president of Zeta Theta Nu with pride and confidence, it was nice seeing her like this.

The girls cheered at the announcement and soon enough the meeting was over. I checked the clock and Misty did at the same time, she walked over to me and patted my shoulder.

"You ready to go?" She asked me.

I nodded, we grabbed our things and were out the door before another thing could find a way and show up out of now where. We both walked together heading straight for the coffee shop, I was so grateful Misty hooked me up with the job to work with her since I got pretty much fired from my old job, I wasn't going into detail. All I had to say is that paper work and I did not mix.

"Did I ever thank you for the job hook-up." I nudged Misty. She turned and smiled to me.

"Yea, like five-hundred times when I first got you it." She said sarcastically.

I laughed. "Thanks again." I said to her gratefully.

She shrugged. "You're my best-friend I help you out, you help me out...its a team effort." She said to me modestly.

I smiled, "Yea but you're like a super best friend, I was out here young and struggling, how else was I going to buy a new video game without a job?" I said nudging her playfully. She almost killed herself from laughing so hard. She linked her arm into mine and we walked together towards the coffee shop.

"Tess." I heard Chase's pathetic voice say behind Misty and I.

I ignored him.

Misty turned to look at Chase before she turned back and looked at me. "Tess, maybe you should talk to him." She suggested.

I huffed, "I'd slit my throat before I do such a thing." I said ignoring the pleas her eyes were sending me. She pouted and focused on the ground as we walked.

"Tess, can we please talk." Chase cut from behind us to the front of our faces in a matter of a second. He caused me to have to break away from Misty's link and walk straight past him. I wasn't going to let this fool hear my voice.

I heard the footsteps of Misty being altered and then stopping completely, so I stopped as well but I didn't turn around. I heard her voice saying something to Chase but I couldn't exactly hear everything except for a few words.

"Give her some space." and "She needs time." before she was back beside me and we were off to the coffee shop. I didn't ask her what she said to Chase but whatever she did stopped him from following us and now he was just a figure lost in the distance.

Good.
-
"How do you do this, on a day to day basis?!" I said exhausted after the 30th customer walked out the door with his soy-mocha, no whip, 3 pump caramel, non-fat latte, at least I think that's what his order was. God, these things were so complicated and Misty only needed to hear it once before she had it down and ready in a matter of minuets.

Misty tapped my shoulder. "Don't worry, you'll get used to it, since they're usual's." She said comforted me.

They were usual's?

I silently cried to myself.

Misty laughed, since there was no one ordering anything we were chilling out at the counter chatting for a bit to each other. My back was faced opposite of the customers, and I was lightly tapping my hands against the granite counter tops.

"So are you going to perform for the talent show?" I asked her.

Misty rolled her eyes and shrugged, "I don't know, Tess...I'm not sure I'm comfortable singing in front of large groups." She said seriously.

I arched my eyebrows. "What makes you think you're going to be singing in front of a large group?" I asked her.

She gave me a look, "You know as soon as we throw a party Delta Sigma gets involved and then before we know it Greek town is at our place." She said.

I gave her a sarcastic look, "I could have sworn it was because we threw better parties than Alpha Chi Omega." I said cocking my head to the side.

Misty rolled her eyes again. "Yea, that too." She muttered.

The coffee store's bell rang and we both ignored it continuing our conversation.

"What about you, do you have a talent?" Misty asked me.

I laughed, "Does yodeling count?" I asked her.

She laughed.

"Um...excuse me I'd like to order." A woman's voice said. Misty instantly turned around to meet the woman's face. I turned around as well, shocked and surprised to see my brother's girlfriend Colet Britt standing in front of the counter top. That only meant one thing. My face busted into a genuine smile.

"Tess, is that you?" My brother's voice erupted behind her.

I immediately hopped over the counter to tackle my big-brother, Tristan Novak.

I held onto my brother tightly as he did to me. It's like I haven't seen him in forever and now he was here in Indiana bringing his insanely sweet and gorgeous girlfriend with him.

After I let go of my brother I came over and hugged Colet. She was a sweet girl who's been dating my brother since they were in high school, and I honestly couldn't ask for a better person to date my brother she wasn't like other girls she was a lot more quiet, reserved, and she was a pretty smart cookie, she was going to become a doctor and she was in medical school right now.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked them, my cheeks were hurting from all the smiling I was doing, but I couldn't help it I was so happy to see my brother. It was definitely a switch from my mood earlier, this was just what I needed to turn my life around and I was glad I worked here now.

Colet smiled, "We were just stopping for some coffee, we're house hunting here in Indiana." Colet replied to me.

My eyebrow arched, "House shopping in Indiana?" I asked them both.
Colet and Tristan both looked and smiled at each other.

I narrowed my gaze. Was there something I didn't know or what?

Colet bounced anxiously up and down before she finally spilled the beans. "I can't hold it any longer...we're getting married!" She said happily. I covered my mouth, excited and happy that my brother finally proposed to Colet, they have been together for so long, and they were still going strong it was only natural they took this to the next level. I was a proud sister.

Colet flashed me her left hand and showed me the very nice ring, Tristan got for her.

I nudged my big brother. "Nicely done, Trist." I said.

He laughed rubbing the back side of his head. "It was suppose to be a surprise...we were actually coming to visit you, but I see you're at work now." Tristan said.

I nodded agreeing with him. I turned briefly and almost forgot Misty.
She was standing patiently just watching what was going on. She didn't seem particularly bothered that no one was ordering. I introduced her.

"Trist, Colet....this is my best friend Misty Paul, she got me this job so be nice to her." I said. Colet giggled and Tristan shook his head.

"Nice to meet you, Misty...I'm Tristan, Tessly's brother...this is Colet my fiance." He said holding out his hand to shake with Misty's. She took it gratefully and then shook Colet's hand. "Nice to meet you too, you guys look really alike." She commented.

Tristan brushed his hair away from his face cockily. "I know I'm where she got her good looks from." He smiled.

I rolled my eyes. "And now meet my brother Tristan, Misty." I said to her.
She laughed. "Congratulations, by the way." She added mentioning the engagement.

"Thank you." Colet responded. "I got to tell you all about it, Tess!!" She said happily.

I smiled. "So are you guys moving to Indiana or what?" I asked them anxiously.

"Ah...yeah, we thought it was a really nice spot...different from the California lifestyle, we were just getting some help scoping the place with Colet's step-brother, Asher..." he trailed as he squinted his eyes looking at the menu.

"Bro, why don't you just wear your glasses?" I asked him.

He huffed. "I'm fine, plus glasses make me look like a nerd." He said.

Colet shook her head as well. "Asher...come over and meet Tess and her friend." Colet called behind her. At that time a guy emerged from behind a couple of people randomly standing around and approached the counter. I was a bit taken back.

This guy was hot.

Misty's eyes shifted as well and she made a noise in her throat before she randomly occupied herself by pressing random buttons on the cash register.

"Asher...this is my future sister-in-law, Tessly." She said introducing him to me.

The guy, Asher had really curly hair that sat in a very wavy and cool style on the top of his head, he had cool, hazel eyes with tiny flecks of blue in the middle. All the features on his face seemed so...perfect from his nose down to his perfectly pouted lips. He had a bit of a beard working on him, and on his arm he had some tattoos. They looked really cool. I pushed back my loose hair and secretly, wished I put on some makeup today, but that would go against the whole: I wasn't going to change for anyone protest.

He held out his hand for me to take, which I did shaking it and afraid my hands were sweating profoundly. "Nice to meet you, Tessly." He said smiling nicely at me.

"You..too." I stuttered.

Asher shook Misty's hand as well and we kind of all stood there awkwardly for a moment before I decided to speak up again. "So, you guys are going to order or what?" I asked them hopping back over the desk ready to take this one.

"Yep." Colet answered and she gave in her order, after her Tristan put in his order, and finally Asher put in his. Misty and I got right to it, of course she got it instantly and I secretly envied how quick she was, but I knew I'd be like that pretty soon when I got used to working here, for now I was going to give myself a break.

"Wow, thanks for telling me you have a family, Tess." Misty whispered to me sarcastically. I briefly glanced over to her and made a face.

"As you can see I barley see my brother as it is, I'm just as surprised as you." I whispered back to her.

She finished the coffee alongside me and we handed them their drinks.They thanked us and paid for it. I was expecting them to take it from there and leave, but they insisted on waiting for our shifts to finish so they could see my place...well our place since we lived in a sorority house, but they didn't know that yet.

As we took in other customers I watched my brother and Colet sit together, drink coffee, and laugh. They were so cute together, Colet was like I said so pretty. She had natural red hair, freckles across her face, and hazel eyes with flecks of orange in them.

My brother kind of looked like me, and I only say that because I like to be original so I might deny it if someone brings it up or such. But unlike my strong brunette hair, he had pretty sandy-type hair, he had the similar frost-blue looking eyes like mine, he was tall like 6'3 and he had a weird obsession for plaid shirts, he was wearing one now.

Eventually our shift ended and Paige took over to the ending one to close the store soon. Misty and I grabbed our things and my brother offered to give us a ride over to our place, which we took bunking in the back with Asher, I was in the middle between Misty and him. I tried my best to stay near Misty and she kept giving me weird looks, but personally I didn't want to be all up in his personal space.

We got home pretty quickly and Colet gaped at the place. "You guys live here?!" She asked. Misty and I looked at each other and laughed.

"Yea..but its a sorority house." Misty replied.

Tristan turned and looked at me with a surprised look. "You're in a chapter, Tess?" he asked. I nodded my head happy that I was surprising my brother with all my achievements. We all hopped out of the car.

"Who's the president?" Colet asked curiously.

"You're standing next to her." I said pointing to Misty who blushed when all the attention focused on her. She pushed some of her hair back and turned, heading towards the door. "Alex is my V.P." she said pushing the attention off her.

She unlocked the door and we stepped into the house. Some girls were up but they were in the theater room, watching a movie or something, because we could hear the noises from the door. Misty hung up her coat and walked into the kitchen. I helped everyone with their things and we followed her into the kitchen as well.

Inside the kitchen Alex and Chrishell were sitting down by the breakfast nook on their laptops music playing in the background. I recognized it as M.A.A.D. City by Kendrick Lamar. At the realization that they weren't alone in the kitchen they both looked up at the same time and looked at my brother, Colet, and Asher.

"Hello?" Chrishell said awkwardly.

Colet waved.

Alex and Chrishell exchanged glances. "Did we do something wrong?" Alex asked.

I rolled my eyes, and Misty was by the fridge laughing her ass off.

"No, Dara...this is my brother, Tristan...his fiance, Colet...and her step-brother Asher." I said pointing them all out. Chrishell and Alex both nodded in unison, I swear they spent all of their time together. They even finished each other's sentences from time to time.

They both got up and came to greet everyone. I introduced them.

"These are my other two best friends, Alexandra Mays, and Chrishell Marks..Alex's the V.P." I added. They all greeted them nicely and happily. I got them comfortable, grabbing them something to drink, if they wanted while.They asked the girls a whole bunch of questions about college life, which the girls answered naturally.

"Hey, Tess?" Colet called over to me.

I looked over at her, "Yea, Colet?" I asked her.

"Mind showing me, where the ladies room is?" She asked me.

I nodded getting up and showing her where the nearest bathroom was. As we walked casually to the restroom I could tell she had something she wanted to say, so it wasn't long before she started asking me questions.

"You like Asher, right?" She asked me.

I was bit taken back. "Wait..What?!" I asked her.

She covered her mouth. "Sorry...too soon, I was just wondering...you know Asher is single, are you single?" She asked me.

Images of Chase flashed into my head and I wish I could drink Clorox and clean the memories out of my head. Colet watched my facial expression closely.

"I just got out of a messy one." I replied to her.

"Wel-." She started but I cut her off.

"5 days ago, I don't think I'm ready to start the dating scene again." I said pushing my hair away from my face. Colet smiled nicely, I appreciated her trying to "hook me up" but Chase left me on a bad note and self-conscience every time a male species decided to gaze upon me. I was really messed up.

Colet focused on my gaze intently for one last moment before she smiled and headed into the bathroom. I found my way back to the front of the house, but I didn't walk into the kitchen, I pushed back the curtains and looked out into the now dark, star-filled sky.

It's been a while, since I've just stood and looked up at the stars, you would imagine how breathtaking they were when you gave them the time of day. I remember being a kid and laying on the front lawn of my house looking up at the sky, forgetting about all my problems and letting them climb up to the heavens.

I was so entrapped at looking outside I didn't even notice someone sneak up behind me.

I jumped.

"Oh! Sorry, I didn't mean to do that." Asher said apologetically brushing his hair back from his face. I watched as his tall dark figure stood towering a bit over me. I was glad it was pretty dark out in the hallway because then he wouldn't have to see me right now.

I cleared my throat, "It's fine, are you looking for something?" I asked him.

He turned towards the kitchen before looking back over to me, "The bathroom, if you don't mind." He said.

I shook my head. "It's cool, It's down the hall to your left." I directed him. I'm pretty sure he didn't need assistance on how to get there, plus he was a guy...it would be creepy for me to being him the entire way there.
He nodded, "Thanks." He started to head towards the bathroom before he stopped abruptly. "You seem like a really cool girl, your brother talks about you a lot." He said suddenly. My eyes turned back to him in a bit of a shock, glad my brother spoke of me but at the same time wondering why he was doing it to strangers, I mean I know Asher wasn't a complete stranger, he was Colet's step-brother but...still, I didn't know him.

I pushed some hair away from my face. "Uh...thanks." I said awkwardly.
Probably noticing my discomfort he tried to clean up his tracks. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, you're just really pretty and.." he continued rambling on and on and I honestly didn't know what to do.

He called me pretty.

Then I narrowed my eyes, because part of me wondered if Colet put him up to this or even worse my...brother. He probably thought I was a single cat-lady with no experience what so ever with a need to be pushed in the right direction.

I didn't want to be awkward or mean so I complimented him as well. "I like..um....your tattoos." I said.

He looked down at them briefly. "Thanks.." He replied.

We stood there awkwardly. "So...the bathroom." I reminded him after a minuet in silence. His eyes widened and if it wasn't so dark, I would think he would be blushing right now.

"Oh yeah! Thanks." he said before he disappeared down the hall, and out of my life.

Just like every other guy.

My luck seemed to be fading these days.

-

-Alexandra's P.O.V.-

"Alex...what are you doing here?" Wes rubbed his eyes lightly, squinting them lightly as the porch lights came on. I was standing in front of him with my hands wrapped around my body as I shivered to the cold breezing air.

I looked away averting his tired-worried glance. "I had a bad dream and I couldn't go to sleep." I replied to him softly.

The nightmares and the insomnia were happening a lot frequently lately. It really depressed me, sometimes I had to take pills to go to bed or something. It was always the same, memories of me killing myself, others of failure my life falling to nothing.

Wes. He got my nightmares. He never judged me, he talked to me about them and always seemed to have these words that calmed me and brought me back into logical thinking. See, I wasn't thinking right now..I just left the Zeta house, came over to Delta and expected Wes to take me in.

Was I selfish or what?

Wes noticing that I was shivering, just pulled me in and back upstairs to where he was suppose to resting, but I probably ruined that for him. He didn't flicker on the lights and I realized that was probably because Jayden was sleeping not too far from where we were standing. I tried my best to be silent.

Wes ushered me into the bed and I got in slowly and quietly, this wasn't the first time I pulled something like this, but most of the times I did this, Jayden wasn't here...today wasn't my lucky day. Wes hopped in shortly after that, not uttering a word. Maybe this time he really was exhausted and I was a silent burden on him or something.

"I'm sorry, I woke you up." I whispered into his chest.

He didn't say anything, and I thought he fell asleep or something, but after a moment he pushed my small body to his and just brushed his fingers through my hair. It was a relaxing motion, that pushed all my negative thoughts away from my body and putting me under this soft and still sleep.

"Rest, Alex...not sleeping a lot is not good for you." He whispered to me.
I peeked one droopy eye to him. "It's hard...I can't sleep." I said to him.

"You can now, can't you?" It was more of a statement than a question, but he was right I could sleep better when I was around him. I felt safer, like nothing could come and get me where I was right now. I buried myself deeper into Wes's chest, inhaling the familiar sweet smell he gave off. I liked it, it reminded me of pine needles, from Christmas trees, it was always a good smell.

I didn't reply to him, I was already swirling round and round into a tidal pool of sleep. The most I could remember was the sweet smell of his shirt, the feel of his warm body pressed against mine, and the feeling of safety and comfort surrounding me and making me feel whole again.

I didn't feel so dark anymore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 228 50
Misty Gates - she's smart, nice, and a goody-two-shoes. Constantly treated as an outsider, she struggles to fit in. Then there's Rick Hastings - a f...
184 14 22
book cover creds: @shootmejade on pinterest Tristian Liao and Natasha Best have never seen eye to eye since the 7th grade. Tristian was a ticking ti...
283 0 33
The day Scott Wynter's dad brought home another woman, life began to fall apart. Scott is in the process of healing from the loss of his brother and...
63.3K 3.5K 38
Lily graduates from college and her life falls apart - or at least that's how it feels. Within a day, Lily a) leaves the comfort of campus with a de...