Bride

By SwatiSandeep

In the shadows of a secluded town, three fates are about to entwine, setting off an emotional journey of love... More

-Dedication-
-Editor's Note-
-Characters-
-Teaser-
-Prologue-
-Chapter 1-
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 17-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Epilogue-

-Chapter 12-

1.8K 312 333
By SwatiSandeep

The fair exhausted the twins. They fell asleep in the jeep holding on to Vikky. Vivek looked at his son from the dashboard mirror, he looked a lot relaxed, but the tears he had seen a few hours still troubled him.

"Everything okay, Vikky?" He could not stop himself from asking.

Vikky looked up startled, "Kya hau, buddy?"

Vivek sighed in relief. Now that Vikky was back to calling him buddy, he knew the boy was no longer upset. He shook his head and focused back on the road.

"I thought you were upset at the hospital."

Vikky nodded his head. He had been upset at the hospital, but with his father around the gloom lifted away. Their past was painful, but their present was a beautiful fairy tale. He could never forget that.

"Mumma kab wapes aayege?" He focused on the matter that was actually relevant. He had to leave in a few days. He wanted to spend his time with his mother. 

"She will be back in a few hours, Vikky. Tu yaha hai na baccha. She will definitely make it a point to comeback home as soon as she can. She would have skipped the meeting....."

"Her business is equally important, buddy." Vikky cut him off gently. "I understand that. It's just that I miss her. I will have to go back in two days."

"Itne jaldi?" Vivek sounded surprised.

"Concert hai buddy, Goa me. Bhool gaye kya aap?"

Vivek sighed. It had slipped his mind. With the old man so sick, he hardly got any time for himself or the kids.

"The kids will want to come, Vikky. I cannot leave your gramps at a time like this. You mother will get them...."

"It's okay dad, Antara will get them with her. She spoke to mom already. Mom trusts her"

"why will she not, Vikky? After all she is your Bride"

Vikky cringed, "Eww dad, don't call her that. She is my girl....."

"Ahhh, so the word is unsuitable for your girl? but it was suitable for every other woman who pushed into my face."

"Come on buddy, that is how you ended with the best! You need to thank me. After all It was me who chose your 'Bride'"

Vivek shook his head. Like his beautiful wife his son had to get the last word.

"Buddy stop" Vikky yelled. Vivek hit the breaks immediately. The jeep came to a shrieking halt. He looked back at his son startled, "Kya hau?" 

"Ice-cream"

Vivek looked at the ice-cream vendor on the streets and glared back at his son, "Really Vikky, how old are you? Three?"

"Please na buddy, bohot maan hai. Kitne din ho gaye hai ice-cream khaye hue. Chaleye na khatey hai. please..... please....  please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please.... please...."

Vivek closed his eyes frustrated. When his 27 year old son behaved like a toddler he felt lost, but there was a part of him that celebrated it. No matter how old his child got he would always remain his child.

"Buddy, please....."

"Okay, fine" Vivek gave in, "only one, okay? You have a concert in two days. You cannot risk your voice."

Vikky gave an angelic smile. Vivek got down to order the ice cream. He was paying for the cones when the twins woke up. They saw the ice-cream and wanted one for themselves. Vivek shot Vikky a disgusted look but got ice-creams for everyone. But one ice-cream was not enough to satisfy the brood. They each ordered a different flavor and then fought to taste each others ice-creams. In the end Vivek was forced to buy each of them three different cones. His first born was proving to be the bane of existence. 

"Mughe yeh wale bilkul nehi pasnd buddy" He trusted the cone back into his hands, "Mughe woh pistachio flavor taste karne hai"

"Mughe bhi" Vish chimed in.

"mughe bhi" Vibha joined in.

"Bilkul nehi" Vivek put his foot down. if his wife found out about the late night ice-cream expedition she would skin him alive. And if the kids fell ill he would not be able to deal with it.

"You had enough ice-cream to last you guys a month. No more."

"Buddy, please yaar, kanjoos na bano aap....."

Vivek whacked him hard. The twins rushed to the car immediately. If their dad did not hesitate to whack their big-b, they would end up getting worse. They were smart enough to know when to cut their losses.

"Ja aur gade me baith" Vivek scolded.

"Mara aapne mughe? ruko apne mumma ko call karta hoon....."

"Haan beta call kar aur use bata ke hum yaha khade hoke, itne raat gaye kya maahn kam kar rahe hai. Mughe to ghar se nekaldege woh, tere bhi kuch kam aarti nehi utarege.'

vikky wanted to stop his feet. His parents knew how to keep him in line.

"Now stop acting like a toddler and sit inside before you catch a cold. I have had enough of your tanturms."

Vivkky marched away and joined the twins in the jeep. They gave him teasing looks.

"What?" He yelled.

"Taste karoge, big-b?" Vish offered him his ice-cream. "Mango flavor hai. It's really good."

Vikky shook his head, but Vish brought the cone closer to his lips, "chakh ke dekho, bura nehi hai"

Vikky gave in and took a lick. It was really good. Vish smiled, "Ache hai na? kahlo aap" he gave him the cone. Vikky looked surprised.

"Par tughe kahan tha na?"

"Haan to kya hua? Ice-cream aapko zyada pasand hai. Aap khalo. Waise bhi aapko maar bhi pade. Ise compensation samajh lo"

Vikky pulled him into a hug. The boy fought with him, but end of the day he always had his back. 

"Tu khale bacha, I am done" He handed the cone back to Vish. Vibha continued to enjoy her ice-cream without a care. She knew her dad well. If he whacked her big-b, he would compensate big time. She was not disappointed when Vivek came back with an ice-cream cone and handed it to Vikky. 

"Nehi chaye mughe" Vikky sulked.

"Are you sure?" Vivek raised his brow. "I can toss it away"

Vikky glared at his father. he knew he would do just that. he grabbed the cone before he lost it.

"This does not mean we are even, buddy."

"We will never me even son. You are my kid and I am your dad. I will always have the upper hand. Remember that."

Vikky rolled his eyes. Vivek ignore it and drove away. He needed to get the kids to bed, it was past their bedtime. Once they reached home, the kids wanted to bunk in with Vikky. Vivek tried to nudge them towards the room but they refused to listen.

"Bacha your big-b needs to sleep. You guys will not have enough room....."

"Its okay buddy" Vikky cut him off gently. He did not mind sharing his room with his siblings. "I don't mind having them around. The bed is enough to accommodate all of us."

Vivek did not argue. He knew how much the twins missed Vikky when he was not around. He could not grudge them the time or Vikky's attention.

"Okay, but you guys need to sleep. No late night gossip sessions. Your mom will be coming in a few hours. If she catches you awake, I will not come save any of you. clear?"

"Crystal, dad. We believe. Right kids?"

The twin laughed out loud. Their dad never let their mom even raise her voice to them, leaving them unprotected was an oversell. Vivek shot them a disgusted look and walked out. His wife was the correct medicine for his stubborn kids.

Vish and Vibha jumped on Vikky's bed. They were still laughing as Vikky came back from the washroom.

"Itne jadli change kar leya?" Vikky settled on the bed, the twins snuggled to him immediately.

"Haan kar leya, aab story finish karo. Kitne interesting point pe chod deya aapne. What happened after that. Did the Prince give in to the evil kings demands?

Vikky nodded his head. The twins looked shocked.

"What? Is he crazy?" Vish fumed, "Dad humesha kete hai na galat ke samne sir jhukana galat hai? Did the prince not know that?"

Vikky smiled sadly, "May be the prince learnt the lesson the hard way, bacha. You need to understand his situation. He felt he owed his son's life to the evil king. When you take a favor from your loved one, you need not repay it. Infact there is no concept of repayment between parents or sibling, or even close friends for that matter, but the Evil king was not the Prince's family. What he took from the kind needed to be repaid. The prince felt he could not pass down the burden to his son. So he did what he thought was best at the moment."

"What did he do, big-b?" Vibha sat up a little straighter. If the boy got hurt because of the Evil king she was prepared to rip his heart out, old man or not.

Vivkky remembered the day his dad came back home in the night. He was expecting a good scolding. he was prepared for a punishment, but his buddy surprised him by pulling him into his embrace. He had been waiting for his buddy to come back home and drifted off to sleep.

he was startled awake.

"Aa gaye wapes aap, buddy" Vikky tried to get up but Vivek gently pulled him down.

"Sleep bacha. I did not plan on waking you up."

Vikky turned around and hugged his buddy, "Gussa ho abhi bhi?"

Vivek fell silent.

Vikky dared to peek a look at his buddy, "datoge?"

"Daat ke koi faida hoga, Vikky?"

Vikky looked down and fiddled with his buttons. Neither spoke for a few minutes.

"How did the meeting with Avniji go?" Vikky was the one to break silence. he could never suppress his curiosity. Vivek sighed. That was something else that would disappoint Vikky.

"Do you like her? Did she like you back. Will you two....."

"Avni is an amazing woman, Vikky" Vivek caressed his face gently, "but she is not for us"

Vikky sat upright, "what do you mean she is not for us? She is so kind buddy, She likes me. i like her....."

"Vikky its a lot complicated than that bacha...."

"What is complicated buddy. she knows about me and yet came to meet you. She is a good person, buddy....."

"She is not ready for marriage, Vikky"

"Because of me?" Vikky's face fell.

Vivek shook his head, "because of her own personal reasons. I will not tell you them, Vikky. She trusted me with the truth. Let's just say that we are not meant for each other. It has nothing to do with you bacha, you need to trust me on this."

Vikky sighed. He was hoping a bit too much. Avni gave him hopes.

"Don't be upset, bacha. Please....."

"I want you to get married, buddy. I will talk to Miss Roy. Ask her to send us another match...."

"Before that why don't we go out on a vacation?"  

Vikky looked surprised.

"vacation?"

Vivek nodded his head, "Your college will start in a few days. Why don't we have some fun time together? The doctor suggested that a few days off will do dad good. A vacation would  help him heal faster. How about we go to Kasauli for a few days?"

"Kasauli?" Vikky's eyes sparked. It was his favorite destination. His buddy knew his weakness well.

"Resort book kar doon? Kal subah nikle?"

"Itne jaldi?" Vikky was surprised.

"I need a few days off, beta. May be the vacation will help me unwind?" Vikky touched his forehead immediately. For a second there he sounded tired.

"Tabeyat theek nehi hai aapke? Kuch hua kya?....."

"Nothing bacha, I just need a break"

Vikky looked into his buddy's eyes. He could see the shadows under his eyes. Something he had never seen before.

"Kese ne aapse kuch kaha kya?"

"Kaun mughe kuch kahega beta? Can't I wish to spend time with my son?"

Vikky sighed and buried his face back into his buddy's chest. Vivek ran his fingers through his hair gently.

"Kuch din me tu college ke leye chala jayega, bacha. You will become busy with your life. You will have your frinds. Kya paat baad me tughe is buddy ke saath bahar jana acha lage ya nehi?"

"stop taking nonsense buddy" Vikky hit him with his fists, "Mere abhi bhi bohot sare dost hai, kya main aapke saath time nehi spend karta hoon? kyun aise senti batey kar rahe ho? Aap mere best buddy ho na?"

"Best buddy hoon na main tera, to is buddy ke baat maan le, bacha. Let us go for this vacation. Please."

"Yeh please vease maat kaha karo aap. Aapko jana hai na, to zarur jayenge hum. Aapko yeh sab khene ke zarurat nehi hai. I love spending time with you buddy. Aab kal ko aapne dulhaan aa jayenge to aap kaha apne bache ke saath time spend karoge?"

"Vikram...."

"Dekha. Chubha na. Kese ko aise senti bate ache nehi lagtey. Aap mere leye jitne important ho, main bhi aapke leye utna he important hoon. Koi dost, koi dulhaan humhare beech kabhi nehi aa saktey. Hum kabhi ane nehi denge. Right buddy?"

Vivek nodded his head.

"Aab sojaye. kal subah nekalna hai to jaldi uthke kapde pack karna hoga. Time nehi hai humhare paas." Vikky stiffled a yawn.

"Soja beta, i will take care of everything. Tu aram se soja. Main hoon na, I will make sure everything is fine."

"Are akele kyn karoge aap sab? Main hoon na? I will help you. Please jaldi uthado mughe. Don't do everything on your own. That will piss me off buddy. You don't want me to be in a fowl mood on a vacation. Hai na?"

Vivek sighed but gave in. He knew Vikky never gave empty threats. He did not want him sulking. Vikky snuggled back and closed his eyes. The moment his head touched Vivek's chest he drifted off to sleep holding on to him. Vivek stared back at the ceiling. He was doing what he was supposed to do but he felt his world slipping away from him. he did not know if taking away Vikky from Shimla was the best thing to do, but at that moment he felt burdened. The old man had given A million dollars for his sons treatment. He could not repay the amount for another decade. he had been saving for Vikky's college funds. If Vikky got though New York Music college, the fees would be huge. Even with scholarship he would have have to take care of his lodging and boarding. He did not want his child living a constrained life abroad. The money would give him a good life. Only after Vikky's college could he think about repaying the loan. A  debt that needed to be repaid. He could not let his child be burdened. He would make sure to repay back every cent before he died. He owed it to his child. Till then he would have to do what the old man asked. Like he said he indeed owed him and he could not shoulder the burden of the debt any longer.

On the other side of the town Khushi sat outside her fathers ICU starting at the empty walls. Little Rishab drifted off to sleep in her arms. It was no place for a child to sleep. She gently laid the child on the couch and caressed his face. She never got to see her child grow up. She had no idea how he looked like when he was 7. She had only her imagination. But she hoped her child had a kinder childhood. She hoped the family that took him in treated him well.

Rishi flinched in sleep. She patted his head gently. The boy had nightmares, thanks to his selfish mother. Her eyes glinted as she recalled her cousins face. The woman was not worthy to be called a mother. Rishi deserved much better, so did Veer. She looked around hoping to see him. He never left Rishi alone for more than  a couple of minutes, but he had been gone for hours. She was worried for him. Veer kept everything bottled. That was the real problem. He was not the type to express his pain or anger. He expected people to behave fair. Life was never fair. She did not understand how a smart man like Veer missed on the small logic. His Kindness was his greatest enemy and his child was paying the price.

Veer came back after 30 minutes. One look at him and she knew he had been crying. She did not have to ask why. Only one person had the capacity to reduce Veer to tears. That gave her more reasons to hate Vivek Malhotra. The man was not loyal to any relationship. She wished him the worst form of hell.

"Yeh so gaya?" Veer sat down beside his child and caressed his face gently. She could see the love shining in his eyes. That is how a father should be with his child. Her child never got that from Vivek. she would hold it against him for life. Vivek Malhotra might have been every young, but he had no right to desert his own child. He was a coward and the worst form of monster.

Veer looked up when she did not answer. The  anger in her eyes made him sigh.

"How long will you hold on to the past, Ashi. Kab tak aise he Vivek ke bare me sochte rahoge? Satra saal beet gaye hai lekin tu aaj bhi wahe khade hai jaha woh tughe chod aaya....."

"Main bohot age badh chuke hoon, Veer. Main woh ladke nehi rahe jise Vivek chod gaya. Dekh use, kya aukaad ahi uske mere samne...."

"Bas kar Ashi. Insaan ke izzat uske neyat se ate hai uske auhde se nehi. You are talking like your dad."

"And dad was never wrong, Veer. Was he?"

Veer looked away.

"Chup kyun ho gaya Veer? Aab bhi kuch nehi sekha tu? That woman used you for your money, she sold her child away for money. Your step mother married your father for his money. She remarried a millionaire the day your dad died. Your best friend sold his own child away for money...."

"He did nothing like that Ashi...."

" 10 Millons dollars, Veer. Stop acting dumb. He sold my child."

"So did you khushi"

Khushi gasped.

"Baar baar Vik ko dosh de rahe hai. 17 saal ka tha woh. Being a dad is no joke Ashi. Rishi ke ane baad mughe ehaas hua dad hone ka matlab kya hota hai. It is a scary experience. I am freaking 34, he was 17. If he got cold feet it was not his fault."

"His cold feet costed my dad 10 million dollars Veer. It costed me my child...."

"It would have costed you nothing if uncle would have given you the money to save your child. He could have done it, Ashi. He did not do it. Haan Vivek paise leke bahg gaya. Lekin tere dad bhi kam galat nehi  hai....."

"Tu apne dost ko defend karne ke leye dad ko galat tehra raha hai, Veer. Bhool gaye ke tughe mere zarurat hai. You need me to get Rishi's custody...."

"Don't you dare throw it on my face, Khushi" Veer's eyes blazed but he did not raise his voice. His son had enough trauma to deal with, he could not add on.

"My son needs no favors from anyone. I will never put that burden on him. If you do not want to help, step back. I can get a wife from anywhere. I am Rajveer Mittal, you think I will need to beg a woman to be my wife?"

"Right? You are looking for another gold digger? You wish to condemn Rishi to your fate?"

"My fate was never bad Ashi. My step mother was a gold digger but she was not mean to me. She chose to ignore me. I will take it as an act of kindness. That gave me a chance to bond with another family. I never wanted for a mother's love. Vivek's mother made sure of it. You want me to hate Vivek for what he did to you? I cannot. I am angry at him for hurting you, but I cannot hate my brother. Acha hai bura hai, choor hai uachaka hai jaisa bhi hai mera dost hai, mera bhai hai. Use rishta nehi nebhana, iska yeh matlab nehi ke humeare beecha ka rishta khatam ho gaya hai. Are tum samajh bhi nehi sakte ke tumse shadi karne ke soch bhi mughe kitna guilty feel karatey hai. You were his woman...."

"I was never his woman. He used me."

"You are blinded by your anger khushi. Tum apne dard me sahe gaalt sab bhoolte jaa rahe ho. Your lost your child kushi. that pain is unparallel. No one can imagine what you are going though, but you are letting the pain destroy you. Let it go Ashi, please. Gussa, nafrat, badla, insab se kese ka kabhi bhala nehi hua hai. The more you loose yourself to the hatred the more you will suffer. Kab tak aise rahoge? Na khud khush ho, na kese ko khushi de pa rahe ho. Bas tumhare naam me he khushi reh gaye hai. Why are you doing this to yourself , Ashi?"

"Your best friend did that me, Veer. And you tell me you cannot hate him"

"You don't hate your family khushi" Veer got up. He had enough, "The way you forgave your father for forcing you to give up your child, I forgave Vik for what he did to you. Sahe hai ya galat main nehi janta, lekin main nafrat ke bojh ke saath nehi jee sakta Khushi. I have no one. Kal ko mughe kuch ho jaye to mera bacha anath ho jayega. Vik is my only hope."

"Jo apne bache se muh mod gaya woh tere bache ko kya dekhega Veer? You are fooling yourslef."

"Dekhega woh khushi. zarur dekhega, yeh dost ke ummed hai."

"You are a fool veer. Men like Vivek do not know the meaning of relationships. Itne saal se jis inssaan ne mud ke tughe nehi dekha, woh aaj kyun tere bache ka khayal rakehga? Aur Rishi ko kese ke zaruart kya hai? He is a Billionare's Heir...."

"Money is never enough Khsuhi. Daulat se pyar kharede nehi jatey. Us parewaar ne mughe woh pyar deya hai jo main kabhi nehi bhool sakte. Maa ne kabhi mughme aur Vik me farq nehi keya. Uncle ne humesha hum dono ko ek he tarah dekha hai. Unke paas paise kam the, lekin jo bhi us gahr me ata tha hum dono ke leye ata tha. Maa jo bhi banatey the dono ke leye banatey the....."

"Aur waise Maa peche chod ke chale gaye tughe? Ek baar bhi dekha nehi ke kaisa raha tu unke bena? Vivek ka to chod uske parewar wale bhi utne he gire hue hai...."

"Bas Khushi. Bohot ho gaya. Tere problem Vivek se hai. Use kuch bhi bol le. Keep maa and Uncle out of this."

"You are a fool, Veer"

"Fool he sahe. But I won't tolerate a word against them. I think we should rethink this marriage Ashi. After what you said now, I cannot think about this relationship. I though my friend was doing me a favor. I forgot that for Khushi Birla, everything is a deal. My child is not a deal. I will not let him become a deal. I will find another bride." Veer picked up his son. Khushi held his hand and stopped him.

"kaha le jaa raha hai use?"

"Gaha, use tere ehsaan nehi cahye, khushi. Uske dad hai uska khayal rakhne keleye."

"Kya bakwas kar raha hai. You know I love him."

"You love him? After what you said you want me to believe that khushi?"

Khushi's eyes filled up. She had been hurting when she hurled those words. She did not mean them.

"I did not mean them Veer, I was angry...."

"Gusse me tu kuch bhi bol dete hai. kuch bhi kar detey hai. Apne aap ko justify karke leye kese bhi had tak chale jatey hai khushi. You think that is healthy?"

Rishi whimpered in sleep. Veer tried to pacify him but the boy was too far gone in his nightmare. Khushi reached for the boy immediately. Veer was reluctant to let go but in the end gave in. His child's welfare outweighed his anger.  Rishi continued to whimper as tears rolled down in his eyes.

Khushi rocked him gently, holding him close  to her heart. She hummed a a soft lullaby to soothe the crying child. Her soothing voice worked its magic. Rishi stopped crying and rested his head on her shoulders. She continued to rock him as he drifted off to sleep. 

Veer saw the tears steaming down her eyes. She did not realize she was crying. He felt a pang in his heart. She did not deserve what she got. She would have made an excellent mother. It was a tragedy that  fate played a cruel hand. Her bitterness was a facade to mask her hurt, but the bitterness was consuming her. He was afraid that one day it would destroy her completely.  He could not hate the brother who hurt her, nor could he let go of her knowing what she was going though. He was at crossroads. For the first time in his life he felt helpless. He prayed for a miracles but did miracles really happen? Only time could answer the questions. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.9K 9.9K 28
A beautiful wedding turns to a disaster when the younger brother of the groom elopes with the bride's sister on the eve of the marriage. Two families...
39.7K 3.5K 63
• She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. • Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...
37.8K 2.2K 54
Prithvi Raj Sooryavanshi was aware of many things in his life. His physical appearance of six four height, raspy voice, and the long scar across the...
3.6M 253K 151
#01 in fanfiction on 23/02/18 Nandini murthy:-) A girl full of life and fun, wants to be independent and stand on her own feet. Loves her family. Man...