Bride

By SwatiSandeep

In the shadows of a secluded town, three fates are about to entwine, setting off an emotional journey of love... More

-Dedication-
-Editor's Note-
-Characters-
-Teaser-
-Prologue-
-Chapter 1-
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 17-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Epilogue-

-Chapter 11-

1.7K 313 344
By SwatiSandeep

Vivek dropped Avni home and made his way to the hospital. He had debated several times if he should go and meet the man, but in the end he could not hold back. He was the type to hold grudges and no matter what the old man had done, he owned him his son's life. That was one debt he would never repay.

As he made his way to the reception he saw Rajveer talking to the receptionist. Vivek braced himself for the confrontation. Though Rajveer had accompanied Khushi, he had not spared him a glance. He did not expect anything from his once best friend, but somewhere his silence cut deep.

"Mr. Birla kaunse kamre me hai?" He enquired politely. Rajveer saw him and stiffened.

"Aap kaun?" The receptionist looked up. Mr. Birla was a VIP patient, no one had access to his room other than his family. Khushi Birla had given strict instructions.

"We were waiting for him Sister" Rajeev told her politely, "I will escort him to the room."

The receptionist nodded her head and handed Vivek a visitors tag. Vivek entered his details in the register and signed. The nurse read the name and address and looked up.

"Vivek Malhotra from PPCB?"

Vivek nodded his head.

"My son is a big fan of your place sir. Your cupcakes are the best."

Vivek nodded his head in acknowledgement. He got the compliment very often. Most of the people in the small town knew him very well. That was the reason why his business thrived. Word of mouth was the best publicity.

"We are having a free cupcake night this Friday. Do visit us." He spoke with a smile. The Nurse gave him a sweet smile. Rajveer looked surprised. The Vivek he knew was very shy. He hardly ever spoke, the guy in front of him looked like a stranger to him. Did he ever know his best friend?

Vivek looked at Rajveer. Their eyes met. Vivek could read the questions in his eyes, he wished Veer would ask them. He would be happy to answer everyone of them, but knowing his bestie he was prepared for silence. That was Rajveer's idea of handling disagreements. Silence.

"This way" Rajveer spoke breaking the silence.

They walked together in silence. Khushi was waiting outside the room. A little boy was seated on her lap. Vivek looked at the boy and back at Rajeev. Vikky had told him about the boy. He was his besties son. All he wanted was a chance to know the boy but he knew Veer would not want him around the kid. He was deeply saddened.

Khushi stood up and glared at him. She was seething with anger. She did not understand why her dad wanted to see him. He was the reason for her pain and suffering. She wanted to rip his heart out, but at that moment she could not jeopardize her father's health. Her father was the one who held her when she was falling apart. Her father helped her though her depression, showed her the right way, helped her make something of herself in life. Vivek Malhotra had left behind a broken girl, Suryakant Birla had molded the girl into a strong independent woman. She would never let Vivek hurt her again.

"Dad is inside. The doctor told us that his heart is weak. He should not get upset under any condition." She spoke coldly.

Vivek nodded his head. He had no intention of upsetting the old man. He took a step towards the room but Khushi blocked his way, "If you hurt him in any way Vivek, I will rip your heart and feed it to the dogs. Clear?"

Vivek looked at her. She sounded furious but the sadness in her eyes was not lost to him. Khushi Birla was putting up a show. Even as a teenager she had done the same. She used anger as a shield to protect her vulnerable heart. when her parents opposed her pregnancy she had blocked them out with her indifference, only he knew how much their behavior hurt her.

"I have no intention of hurting your father, Ashi"

"Khushi" Khsuhi hissed. "Ashi bolne ka haq tum bohot pehle kho chuke Vivek. Jis lake ko tum chod ke gaye the, woh ladke kab ka mar chuke hai. I am Khushi Birla. I can destroy you and that pathetic business of yours with a wink of an eye. If you do not want to end up in streets go in come out without upsetting my dad. Varna main tumhare saath kya karunge tum soch bhi nehi sakte....."

Veer pulled her back. Vivek was doing them a favor by coming there. He was under no obligation to come.

"He came here to help us Khushi. Please calm down....."

Khushi shrugged his hand away in anger, "Don't you dare take his side Veer. He is not your friend...."

"Enough, Khushi." Veer cut her off. "Let him go. Remember it was uncle who wanted to meet him, not the other way around."

Khsuhi fisted her hands. she did not understand why her father wanted to meet Vivek.

"Go Vivek" Veer opened the door for Vivek, "The doctor said he is going good now. Please be careful. He should not strain himself."

Vivek stepped inside without a word and closed the door. He did not think the old man would appreciate an audience for the conversation. The moment the door closed Khushi glared at Veer.

"Why did you let him go inside alone, Veer. I cannot trust him."

"You do not have a choice, Khushi. Your dad wants to talk to him alone." Veer spoke calmly.

"They do not have anything to talk, Veer. He will upset dad. I do not want that. He has hurt us enough. If you does anything to upset dad...."

"You dad knows what he has done, Khushi. He is the one who has the most reason to hate Vivek. He wants to talk to the guy who destroyed his only daughters life, don't you think it is a little off?"

Khushi looked taken aback, "what do you mean?"

"You are letting your anger and emotions cloud your judgement, Khushi. I will never support Vivek for hurting you, but I will not lie to you. Vivek is not the type to behave that way. What he did when completely against his character. He left you alone in your grief, he never looked back all these years. And yet he is unmarried now. He took ten million dollars from your dad and he is running a small bakery here. You have seen his house Khushi, does it look like a man who is living in the lap of luxury to you?"

"For all we know, he must have gambled the money!" khushi scoffed, "Aukaad se badke jab daulat milteya hai na Veer to insaan baukla jata hai. It must have happened to Vivek. The man who can demand money to save his son is capable of anything, Veer."

Veer fell silent. Khushi saw Vivek's mistakes but she did not pause to think about her father's sins. If her father had wanted, he would have given her the money to save the child without conditions of adoption. The man was ready to pay ten million dollars to get Vivek's consent for adoption but he could not shell out a million bucks to save his own grandchild. From where he saw, both Vivek and Suryakant were equally guilty. But he knew Khushi would not agree. Suryakant was there to help Khushi rebuild herself but Vivek had walked away. That was an unforgiveable crime. He looked at his son. He had known him for a few weeks, but he could not dream of walking away from his child. He could go to any lengths to protect him. Then how could Vivek walk away from a sick child. Nothing made sense to him.

Inside Vivek was waging a war of his own. He waited for the old man to open his eyes. Seeing him revived bitter memories. Memories that he wanted to forget forever but could not. Suryakant opened his eyes and looked at him. Vivek stiffened. Those eyes that were once packed with power and arrogance were now staring at him with pain.

"Vivek" Suryakant gasped.

Vivek made his way to the old man. He stopped at a respectable distance.

"Kasie ho?" His voice sounded hoarse. Vivek nodded his head. He was sure the old man did not call him to ask about his health.

"What do you want, Mr. Birla?" He spoke calmly. All he wanted to do was yell at the old man for making him the villain but he did not do it. He made the choice to become the Villain. he could not forget that.

"You know" Mr. Birla sounded tired.

Vivek frowned. He did not understand what the man was saying.

"We had a deal Vivek" Suryakant looked at him.

Vivek stiffened.

"You promised me you will stay away from my child. You promised me you will keep the boy away from Khushi....."

"I have honored the promise for 17 years, Mr.Birla. Neither me nor my child have ever imposed on you or your family."

"She met the boy"

Vivek nodded his head. He could not deny it.

"He looks like her" Mr Birla's eyes filled up. Vivek did not deny it. Vikky was Khushi's reflection in every way. That was the greatest blessing in his life. He lost the love of his life, but he always had a part of her with him.

"Khushi is learning to rebuild her life, Vivek. I know what I did then was not right. I was only thinking like a father. I never gave my child's emotions a thought. Khushi paid the price of my mistakes. Her life has been a hell Vivek. After you walked away...." Vivek's eyes glinted, "After I forced you to walk away" Suryakant corrected himself immediately, "Khushi could not handle the pain. She locked herself in a room for days. No one could reach her. She only let Veer closer. She was falling apart Vivek, depression got to her. She tried to take her life thrice."

Vivek gasped. He could have lost her. The very thought sacred him.

"Veer saved her every time. I owe my daughters live to the boy. Only after you walked away I realized my mistake. I tried to find you Vivek. I tried my best to give back to my child what I had cruelly taken away, but you had just vanished."

Vivek looked away. At that time they had no funds. He had agreed to leave town with his child. His dad could not let him go on his own, so he father took him to Canada to his friends place, where they stayed for a year. His father got a temporary job there. They worked till they got enough funds to fly back to India. That is where they stayed for 16 years.

"Our world was falling apart, but suddenly one day khushi emerged from her room and joined us for lunch. She told me that she wanted to continue with her studies. We were relived. She focused on her studies. Got her degree from Yale, she took over my business smoothly. She took Birla Industries to new heights, Vivek. My daughter has made me very proud." His eyes misted. "she did everything a daughter shood do. She took care of her dying mother, she makes sure that I am happy, she takes care of our home and business. She is perfect, but she is not happy. We wanted her to settle down but she refused to get married. She agreed for everything we said, but she was not ready to move on."

Vivek had to sit down. The past had shook up up. His Khushi had suffered so much. In a way he was responsible for her pain.

"After 17 years she has agreed to get married Vivek. After 17 years she is ready to move on. She chose the best husband. Veer was there for her though everything. She pursued business management because Veer had applied for the same college. They are perfect for each other Vivek. They complete each other."

Vivek looked away. It was not easy for him to hear it.

"She has a chance at happiness Vivek. Please do not take it away from her. If she realized that the boy is her son, she will not be able to let go. She loved Veer, Vivek. She will give up everything to have her child back. That is not fair to my daughter."

"Does she not deserve to know her son, Mr. Birla?" Vivek looked at him with anguish filled eyes, "Does my child not deserve to know his mother?"

Suryakant shook his head, "I know I am being selfish again Vivek, but Khushi deserves much more. That boy will once again destroy her life....."

"My son is not a burden on anyone, Mr. Birla." Vivek's eyes blazed.

"I am not saying he is Vivek, but the boy will destroy khushi's life. Her happiness. Veer life will be destroyed. They are building a relationship Vivek. I beg you, don't destroy their life. Please. Let my daughter have her happiness, Vivek. You are a father, you know a fathers pain. I want my child to be happy."

"Aap bilkul nehi badle Mr Birla. You used your power then, now you are using emotions to blackmail me."

"I am not blackmailing you Vivek. I am begging you. Keep the boy away from Khushi. Please. My daughter should never know about his identity."

"Then what should I tell her when she asks me about him? Lie to her face....."

"We are here only for a couple of days Vivek. Veer has some personal business. As soon as it is done we will leave from here. Forever. Bas kuch din ke baat hai, Vivek. Can't you send the boy away....."

"The boy is my son, Mr.Birla. Mera bacha hai woh. He will stay with me, where he belongs. You do not want your daughter to find out about him then you keep her away from us. I cannot help you. Sorry."

He turned to go.

"I saved his life Vivek" Suryakanth called back. Vivek stiffened. "You owe his life to me."

Vivek looked back. His eyes blazed with anger, "Vikram is your grandchild, Mr Birla. Aapko sharam nehi ate aise waheyad baat kartey hue?"

Suryakanth looked at him sadly, "Mughe bas apne bache ke khushi chaye Vivek. I saved your son. If I wanted I could have let him die" Vivek stiffened. "Khushi would have cried for a few days but she would have survived the loss. She did survive loosing the boy. But I paid for his treatment. I gave your your son Vivek, do not take away my daughters happiness in return. Please. If you cannot be grateful, at least do me a favor. Keep the boy away from my child."

Vivek could not stand there and listen to his nonsense. he walked away upset. Khushi and Veer saw him coming out and stood up. Vivek did not stop to talk to them. He was too upset to stay back. Khushi rushed inside to check on her father. Veer chased behind Vivek and caught upto him. He had seen the sheen of tears in Vivek's eyes and no matter how hard he tried he could not ignore them.

Vivek was about to call for taxi when Veer pulled him back. Vivek was surprised to see him there.

"What do you want Rajveer?" Vivek pulled his hand back. After what he had heard he was not ina a state to handle more accusations.

"What happened inside?" Veer looked at him troubled.

"That is none of you business, Mittal. Move." He tried to push him away but Rajveer did not let him.

"It is damn well my business Malhotra. The old man is my family....."

"Oh the wedding" Vivek could not hold back the sarcasm, "I should have offered my congratulations to the happy couple. "

Veer looked away. Vivek ran his fingers though his hair. He owed Veer a lot. From what the old man had told him, Veer had saved Khushi. Their relationship hurt him, but he could not fault either of them.

"Listen Veer, I am not in a good mood. I need to go back home. I really wish you two all the best in life....."

"Really Vivek?" Veer could not stop himself, "You wish us all the best in life? You ex best friend is tying the knot with your girl and you are wishing us all the best? You want me to buy that?"

Vivek looked taken aback. The Veer he knew would never have addressed the issue head-on. He believed in silence for winning every argument. How did he change so much?

"Aisa kya dekh hai? Jawab de na?"

"What do you expect me to say, Veer? That I resent you your happiness?"

"well that would be a normal reaction"

"Is anything about us normal Veer?"

Veer looked away. He was right. There was nothing normal about their lives.

"I am not grudging you your happiness Veer. I made my choices and I never regretted them. I am happy. You and Khushi have the right to find your happiness. If it though marriage, who am I to grudge you that? I was the one who walked away."

"Why did you do it?"

Vivek fell silent.

"Why did you do it Vivek. I have waited for seventeen years to hear the answer. This may be my only chance. Tell me why the guy I admired so much, behaved like an abject moron. Why did you walk away from khushi? Why Vivek?"

"Jaan ke kya karega Veer?" Vivek looked him in the eyes, "Kuch bhi badal payega?"

"Nehi, but don't I deserve the truth?"

Vivek gave him a sad smile. "My best buddy deserved the truth, Veer, but I left the guy behind. We are no longer friends Veer. We go our separate ways. Lets not complicate our life"

Vivek turned to go but Veer blocked his way again. "Truth? Are you telling me that truth is something different Vivek? Did something happen that we are unaware of? Is that why you walked away"

Vivek took a step back. He had let his emotions take control. he could not make the same mistake again. Veer was very smart. He could put two and two together quickly. He did not want him finding out the truth.

"I think you should focus on your fiancée, Veer. That is best for everyone. I am glad to have had your friendship Veer. Any guy would be glad to have a friend like you. But I think we lost that friendship long ago. Its best if we do not interact again. Mere duneya yahe hai aur tere New York me. Our worlds will never meet Veer. Let's just part ways in good terms. I really want you to be happy. Be happy Veer. Forget that you ever had a friend called Vivek. That is best for us. Bye."

Vivek turned to leave.

"I have a son"

Vivek turned back shocked. Veer eyes filled with pain, "My friend would have wanted to know that. May be you are not the same guy anymore, but I wanted you to know."

Vivek had to force the tears away.

"Congratulations." He forced the words out. Veer shook his head disappointed. That was not what he wanted to hear. Vivek ignored the pain and hailed the taxi. he was falling weak. If he stayed even for a second he could not stop himself from embracing Veer. They had not just been best friends, they had been brothers. After Veer lost his mother, his father drifted away from him. His second marriage destroyed their relationship. Veer spent more time at his home rather than in Mittal Mansion. His dad was an accountant in Mittal Industries. Their friendship was something that defined tradition. In a way they grew up together. Leaving him behind was the most difficult thing he had to do. He had chosen his son over his brother and the woman he loved, a choice he never regretted. His vikky was worth all the sacrifices. he could not fall weak now.

The taxi stopped Infront of him, giving him an escape route. He opened the door to get away.

"Did you miss me Vik?" Vivek grip on the door tightened. No one called him Vik other than Veer. He did not let anyone else come so close. Hearing the nickname brought back memories. Something he was trying hard to forget.

"17 years Vik, did you think of me for even a second?"

Every day. Vivek wanted to say but he did not.

"You will not like the answer, Veer. Let's hope we do not have to meet again. Goodbye."

He sat in the taxi and motioned for the driver to move away. he could see Veer from the rearview mirror. he saw a tear slip from his best friends eyes and let the tears fall. They were destined to hurt each other, if only he could accept that easily.

"No no" Vish sobbed, "Please don't tell me they will never meet again" Big fat tears rolled down his eyes. Vibha handed him the tissue. Till that moment it was only her who was crying. she did not expect her twin to cry so openly. He always wanted to put a brave face.

Vikky pulled the boy into his embrace, "Kya baccha, tu to mera brave bacha tha na? Tu he rone laga?"

"They are brothers, big-b. They should stay together forever." He hiccuped.

Vikky wiped his tears away.

"Aise rote thode hai. Tune to kahane poore sune bhi nehi....."

"Please tell me that Prince did not listen to the evil king" Vibha implored. "The ice-queen deserved to know her son. The boy deserved to know his mother."

Vikky nodded his head. He agreed wholeheartedly.

"Chale?" Vivek's voice startled them. Vikky looked up. He was not expecting his father to come there.

"Mumma?"

"She had to go to attend an important conference" Vivek told him and looked at his children. "why are they crying?"

Vibha wiped her eyes quick. Her father hated tears. Vish did the same. Vivek looked at Vikky, even his eyes were numb.

"Kya ho gaya bacha? Itne upset kyun ho teno?"

Vikky hugged him tight. His father had sacrificed everything to give him a good life. If not for him he would have had everything. He was lucky to have a dad like that.

"Vikky bacha, kya hua?"

"Bhook lage hai dad. ghar chale?" Vikky pulled back and looked at Vivek.

"Dad?" Vikky looked away. Vivek draped an arm around Vivek and guided him out of the hospital. He hated seeing his children sad. He did not know what brough on the tears, but as long as he was around he could not let them cry.

"The fair is open today. Any one wants to go?"

Like he thought the kids immediately cheered. Vikky smiled. That was all Vivek lived for. His children's smiles.

Hello readers,
This book has 25 Chapters. Once we hit chapter 20 we start with double updates.
Good day!
Aaradhna

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 22K 33
22 years old ADHIRA VATS, who's vague & intricate, too naive to deal with the cruel world. Getting married was never in her list, atleast not before...
83K 6.4K 47
Life is not to be taken too seriously. Live your life by looking ahead to the future, embracing the present, and appreciating the past. Arnav Singh...
8K 512 61
They say "Blood is thicker than water." but "FAMILY" isn't just about blood, it's about who you love and have faith in and above all who loves you. F...
135K 7.9K 60
Divya Sharma, A sweet silent and a calm girl fighting with her own fears from her past. Her small family with her loving parents and a protective bro...