A Gambling Man // Ryan x OC

By undercoverbookworm1

Everybody knows the Dutton Family but none of them have made a name for themselves quite like the youngest, M... More

Prologue
Her life
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
2: Prologue
2: Her Life
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
3: Prologue
3: Her Life
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
4: Prologue
4: Her Life
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
5: Prologue
5: Her Life
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
A/N
59

58

2.6K 96 15
By undercoverbookworm1

I really hope this chapter makes up for last week. I cried, I laughed and I had a whole lot of fun writing it. It's definitely been a long time coming. I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did.

Mae woke up before most of the ranch that morning - the morning. She could feel the excitement bubbling in her chest and she cursed herself for wanting a sunset wedding. If she could, she would run down the stairs and grab Ryan from the bunkhouse to get married right at this second in her silk bridal pajama set that Beth bought her. She already missed him, she didn't think it would hurt this much not to wake up next to him. John insisted that she at least do the traditional wedding since Beth basically screamed at tradition to go fuck itself. Mae had no clue how she would go without waking up next to him for a year. She could feel tears building up in her eyes and her chest tightening. This wasn't fair, after everything this was supposed to be the start of her happy ever after, and now it was going to have to be postponed for a year. It hurt, it fucking hurt but seeing the excitement on Ryan, Rip, and Teeters' faces while they talked about this next great adventure was worth it. It was what he was born to do and she would never stand in the way of his dreams, just like he wouldn't stand in the way of hers. She thought of joining him in Texas for a year, she knew her clinic would be in good hands with Charlie but the ranch? She couldn't leave it, not with all of the plans she and Beth had come up with to save it.

Beth's working on the details to start selling the beef directly from the ranch and Mae had an entire plan of her own. She had the wranglers fix up the old barn a couple of pastors down, closer to town. They will start using that for weddings. Liam's always dreamed of being an event coordinator and weddings suit him just fine, he proved that during the planning process for Mae's big day. Avery already agreed to take on more of the secretary work in the clinic while continuing her degree. Mae also knew that her dad could face serious legal battles for stopping the airport project and they needed to prove that he still stood up for the locals and that he gave back to the community. She already started spreading the word and planning with Liam. Every month the Yellowstone will hold a sort of farmer's market. Small businesses from all over the state come up and book a stall for the entire weekend at a small fee. There will be performances by local artists and even from Travis and his rodeo crew. People can come from all over and pay a small entrance fee at the gate. There will be charity auctions every month and those profits will go to different needs in the community including orphanages, homeless shelters, schools, and hospitals. The stall fees and entrance fees go directly to Yellowstone's emergency funds while local businesses and artists get exposure and business. It's a true community project by the community for the community. It can also be used to negate any claims that Market Equities might have against him. It was going to be a busy year but without Ryan, it's going to feel almost impossible.

Mae heard her phone buzzing on the bedside table and smiled as she saw a photo of Ryan playing with Willow flashing on her screen.

"Hi, Cowboy," Mae couldn't help the grin stretching across her face.

"Mornin', Darlin'," Ryan greeted back, not even trying to hide his smile as he stood outside of the bunkhouse to not wake any of the others, "It doesn't sound like I woke you up. Did you already run away?"

Mae laughed softly at his teasing, "Never. You're stuck with me for life. Wedding or no wedding."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Ryan assured, "Why are you up so early?"

"It didn't feel right without you next to me," Mae admitted, a blush creeping up on her neck.

"Yeah it's why I'm up too," Ryan admitted.

Mae bit her lip as an idea played around in her mind, "Ryan, how long do we have before the rest wake up?"

"About two hours. Why?"

"Tack up Snowflake and Hades," Mae told him as she got up out of bed, "I'll meet you at the barn in five minutes."

"I love you," Ryan grinned before he ended the call and walked into the barn.

Mae quickly got dressed before sneaking out of the house and rushing to the barn where Ryan was already waiting. She rushed over and jumped into his arms, wrapping her own around his neck. Archie and Willow, who followed her out of the house stood next to the couple, their tails wagging. Ryan quickly connected their lips and Mae couldn't help the smile on her face. She loved this man, more than anything.

"What's your plan, Darlin'?" Ryan asked as he set her down on her feet.

"I'm thinking of an early morning swim, you in?"

"Always," Ryan smiled as he pecked her forehead. Mae got on Snowflake and Ryan on Hades, the two Australian shepherds followed closely alongside the couple as they made their way to the pools.

When the two got to the pools they didn't waste any time at all. Mae stripped down to her swimsuit and Ryan to his boxers and rushed into the water. Ryan sat with his back to the rocks and held Mae close to him, his arms wrapped around her middle and head rested in the crook of her neck. He placed kisses alongside her shoulder and neck while she smiled and played with his fingers.

"This is the perfect way to start our wedding day," Ryan breathed a sigh of relaxation as the warm water caressed every inch of their bodies. Mae nodded but she could already feel her eyes closing, finally relaxed as she rested against him. Ryan smiled as he tightened his arms around her. He was content to just hold her for another hour and let her rest. He just wanted to be close to her. He lifted and turned her so that she could fully cuddle into him. It was going to be an incredibly long day for the both of them and if he could give her just this hour of peace, then he wouldn't move until she woke.

xxx

An hour later Ryan woke her up from her nap and the two got dressed before making their way back to the house. When they got there it looked like the entire ranch was awake and going crazy. They were chastised by Colby and Beth before they were pulled away from each other. The couple tried to protest but it didn't look like they would be winning any of the fights.

Mae had breakfast with her bridesmaids and Liam in her room. Gator made them all pancakes, bacon, and some fruit while Beth made them all mimosas and kept them coming the entire morning. Around one that afternoon Mae got in a bubble bath, feeling less tipsy after snacking on the platter Gator brought up for them. Liam sat cross-legged on her closed toilet seat, Beth was sitting on the edge of the bath, and Charlie brought in the beanbag chair from Evie's room and sat next to the bath with Teeter. Avery and Monica at first stood at the door awkwardly until they became either more tipsy or more comfortable, Mae couldn't really tell and sat down on the floor across from the bathtub.

"Is this a regular thing?" Avery asked after laughing at a joke Liam told.

"Unfortunately," Mae replied. Liam gasped, Beth splashed her, and Charlie swatted her arm.

"What she meant was these moments that happen often are the highlight of her life," Liam replied and Mae laughed softly at her best friends.

"Okay let's talk about the wedding night!" Beth called out, clapping her hands excitedly.

"Yes!" Charlie cheered and Mae could feel a blush forming on her skin, "Do we have to?"

"So what are the plans for the wedding night?" Teeter asked.

"Definitely better than the stable," Mae shot back a gare directed at Teeter because of the time she walked in on her and Colby.

"Honey, in our life you got to fuck'em any time you can," Teeter replied and it was surprisingly Monica who started laughing first but the rest soon joined in.

"She's not wrong," Beth shrugged but before anybody else could respond Summer knocked on the door and told them that the photographer and videographer were there. The bridesmaids and Liam left quickly after that to help them set up and start getting ready themselves while Mae finished up.

Beth was the first one ready because she had to help Mae with her hair and makeup but Mae handed her a box and asked her to take it down to the bunkhouse for Ryan. It was a white button-up shirt with the words 'I love you, Cowboy' written in red thread on the underside of the collar, a belt with his initials and the date engraved on it, and a watch with both of their initials engraved on the bottom in a heart. Mae remembered the day she went to pick up everything. She dragged Rip with her into town because he had to pick up some things for the wrangler's upcoming trip. The shirt and belt were easy but she was having a hard time with the watch. She stood in the jewelry store for a solid twenty minutes debating between the two in front of her when Rip dragged her over to another display case and pointed at the leather strap with gold and black detailing on the watch.

"That's it, that's the one," Rip told her.

"Who knew you had such an eye for fashion," Mae teased but she knew it was perfect, it screamed Ryan.

Beth came back with a box for Mae it had her very own pink flask that was engraved with 'For the nerves, Darlin'', a blue charm bracelet that had a charm with their initials and date engraved, and finally a deck of cards with a note that said 'Ready to gamble in life with me?'. Mae couldn't keep the happy tears and laughter that escaped because of the box. They agreed on the surprise presents beforehand but she didn't know it would be like this and it was absolutely perfect.

"Stop those tears! I need to do your makeup," Beth called out as she handed her sister a tissue and allowed her to compose herself before starting with her hair and makeup. Charlie was getting herself and Evie ready in the toddlers' nursery while the rest of the girls finished up in Charlie's room and Liam had Mae's bathroom. After her hair and makeup were done Beth helped Mae into her wedding dress and that's when the big sister started feeling tears well up in her eyes.

"Beth-," Mae started wanting to thank her sister and to comfort her but the older blonde shook her head and walked to the door, "I'm going to go get dad."

Mae wanted to have a private first look with her dad before anyone else. He deserved that. It only took a couple of minutes before the door opened again and Mae turned to face her dad. He stopped in his tracks as he stared at his baby girl. John Dutton couldn't help the tears that formed in his eyes.

"Are you crying, Daddy?"

"If only your mother could see you now."

John walked over and wrapped his arms around her. She was always beautiful but today, she was breathtaking. His baby girl was all grown up. He didn't realize how fast time went by. He remembered the pink bundle wrapped up in his and Evelyn's arms for the first time, the little blonde toddler stumbling around in his boots, the preteen waking up every morning at four to curl up next to him on the porch, the teenager graduating high school and then the adult graduating university. He remembered every precious moment shared with her and his heart swelled. She deserved this happiness, above anyone else he could think of. The world had been too cruel to his daughters and knowing that they've both found good men who adore them, brings John a sense of peace.

Mae pulled away and smiled up at her dad, "Don't be going soft on me now, Old man."

John rolled his eyes at her, "My baby is getting married. I'm allowed a tear or two."

Mae laughed softly before hugging him again, "I love you, Daddy, thank you for everything."

"I love you too, Sweetheart, more than you'll ever know," John placed a kiss on the side of her head before pulling away, "I have to go check that everything's going smoothly. I'll be back here to get you when it's time."

Mae nodded and watched as her father left, only for Charlie and Evie to walk in. The little girl was dressed up in a soft pink, ruffled flower girl dress with a flower crown. Mae took Evie shopping and had the little girl pick her own dress. It was only fair since the bridesmaids could pick theirs, it was just a good thing that the little girl had such good taste.

"Mimi a pwincess!" The little girl called out as she pointed at Mae, her big brown eyes wide in admiration.

"Me a princess? Look at you, Bunny," Mae smiled as she spun the little girl around, who giggled.

"You do look amazing, Mae," Charlie dabbed at the tears starting to form in her eyes.

"You too, Char," Mae smiled and the two best friends hugged each other.

"I wanna huggie too!" Little hands tugged at their dresses. The two pulled away and picked up the little girl, holding her between them. A flash went off and they turned to see Liam standing there with a photographer.

"You're going to thank me when you see that picture," he shrugged at them and then shooed the photographer out of the room.

"Okay, the coast is clear. Everyone except us is at the venue. You two better not ruin your makeup," Liam warned before he led the three of them down the stairs. Mae and Evie held hands while the three girls walked towards the graves. Mae took Evie over to Evelyn's to give Charlie a moment alone with Lee. It was supposed to be their day first and that will always hurt.

"Hi mom," Mae whispered standing over the grave.

"This my grammy?" Evie asked as she looked up at Mae, who nodded in reply, "Hi, gwammy! You wike my dwess?"

"She loves it, Bunny. She loves you," Mae smiled as she kissed the little girl's head.

"She woves you too, Mimi. Momma's wove us," the curly-haired brunette grinned at the bride.

"Yeah, they do," Mae nodded, "I miss you mom. I wish you were here."

Mae kissed the top of her fingers before placing them down on the headstone, Evie copied her actions.

"Momma wun away," Evie tugged on Mae's hand to point at Charlie, who rushed back into the house.

"She's missing your Daddy but she's going to be okay. We should just give her a couple of minutes," Mae assured the little girl, who scrunched her face but nodded.

"We say hi to Dadda?" Evie asked and Mae nodded as the two walked over to Lee's grave.

"Dadda! I's miss you."

Mae squeezes Evie's hand, "He's always going to be looking after us, never forget that Bunny."

Mae then turned to the grave and took a deep breath, struggling to stop the tears, "Big brother, I miss you. You should have been here and I really want to cry right now but Beth might actually murder me if I ruin my makeup. We miss you, we love you."

"Mimi no cwy," the toddler tugged at her arm, and a small smile formed on Mae's face. She kissed her fingers and placed them on Lee's grave as well, Evie copying her again.

The two walked over to where Liam and Charlie stood. Liam told Evie to go help him get the cars because he knew the two of them needed a moment. The little girl oblivious to what was actually happening agreed and rushed after her uncle.

"He would be so proud of you, Mae."

"I hope so."

Mae and Charlie held hands while they walked over to her Jeep. Liam was driving and Charlie was sitting in the front with him. Evie was in the back with Mae. The rest have all already left for the old barn. Mae didn't feel nervous, she was excited. It was her fucking wedding day! The man of her dreams was waiting through those doors.

They all piled out of the car and Beth was the first one to walk up to her sister, "You deserve every beautiful moment today. I'm so proud of you, Baby sister."

"I would never have made it without you, I love you, Big sister."

The girls hugged as John walked over and the groomsmen walked out of the barn. The men all wolf whistled and Mae laughed at them.

"You want to give that man a heart attack, Mae?" Colby called out.

Rip walked over and wrapped his arms around her, even he could feel the tears welling in his eyes, "You look gorgeous, Cub."

"Thank you, Bear," Mae placed a kiss on his cheek.

"I'm so proud of you. You look amazing," Kayce smiled as he wrapped his sister into a bear hug. Mae thanked him and placed a kiss on his cheek too.

"Aunty Mae," Tate and Carter called out. They were the ring bearers. They were staring at their aunt with wide eyes.

"What do you think boys? Good enough to be a bride?" Mae asked.

"You're going to knock his socks off," Carter smiled as he kissed her cheek.

"You look beautiful," Tate assured and kissed her other cheek.

"Alright everyone, I think that's our queue to get this show on the road!" John called as the wedding tune started playing. Everyone got in their positions. Mae and Ryan didn't care about the traditional order their bridal party had to walk in, they wanted the couples to walk together. Avery and Jake, Charlie and Ethan, Monica and Kayce, Colby, and Teeter, and finally Beth and Rip walked down the aisle.

"My tuwn now?" Evie asked.

"Our turn and then yours, E," Tate smiled as he pinched her cheek before the boys walked out.

"Now?" Evie asked, practically bouncing in her shoes, she clutched her little bag of flowers so tightly her knuckles were turning white.

"Now, little one," John smiled and the father and daughter laughed as they watched the little girl skip into the barn.

"Daddy," Mae stated making John turn to look at her, "Thank you for everything."

"You deserve more than I ever could give you, Sweetheart," John placed a kiss on the side of her head, "We can still run, you know?"

"Not from him," Mae assured, "I'd never run from him. You ready for this, Old man?"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?"

"I've been ready since I met him."

Liam waved them in and the two walked towards to entrance, the slow steps were agonising for Mae. She wanted to sprint down the aisle and tackle him into her arms. Ryan kept his eyes locked on the barn doors and the moment she appeared, he felt his breath hitch in his throat and tears run down his face. He'll probably never live this down but she took his breath away. He could see her own tears falling down her face. Ryan wiped the tears from his eyes and cleared his throat.

John shook his hand before pulling the man into a hug, "Look after her."

"Always," Ryan replied and the two pulled away. John then took Mae's hand in his, kissed her cheek, and handed her over to Ryan. Ryan reached out and cupped Mae's face in his hands and wiped away her tears. Her blue eyes were locked on him as she studied his clean-shaven face, bright blue eyes, and full pink lips. This was it, they were getting married.

"Now you two are already making everybody cry and we haven't even started yet!" Lloyd exclaimed, causing everyone to laugh.

"Family, friends we're all together here today to celebrate this special day with our loved ones, Mae Dutton and Ryan Winchester. I met Mae a couple of days after she was born. Her big bright blue eyes had her Daddy wrapped around her finger since day one and I have been blessed enough to see that bundle of pink blankets grow into this amazing, beautiful, and courageous woman in front of us today. I met Ryan when he started as a low man on this ranch. He had a smart mouth and a knack for getting himself into all kinds of trouble. I watch that young man get bucked off of horses and fall off of hay bales but nothing knocked quite knocked him on the ass as hard as his love for this woman. These two fell in love unexpectedly when they needed each other the most. It has been an honor to watch your relationship and trust grow into this unbreakable bond we see today. Now I'm pretty sure you've all heard enough of my voice, they've prepared their own vows. Ryan, please start," Lloyd smiled as he gestured at the groom to start.

"Mae Evelyn Dutton, my Darlin'. I didn't expect to find love when I joined the Yellowstone all those years ago. I kept telling myself that I was staying because of the job but I knew that that wasn't true. I stayed because of you, the job is just a perk. I've spoken to you a lot about my grandparents and how I idolized their relationship but something in me always said that I wasn't worthy of that type of love, that I would never find it. And you know what? I was right. I could never find that type of love because it was so uniquely their own. I found something better. I found a love with you that's truly perfect for me, for us. A love that I can't live without anymore. You are my reason. My reason for waking up, my reason for enjoying life, and my reason for wanting to become old and gray. I want to do it all with you as long as you're by my side until we're playing poker in heaven and even after that. I love you so much and I promise to stand by your side, protect, comfort, and support you as my wife."

Mae had tears falling down her eyes again, "How am I supposed to top that?"

Everyone laughed as they watched her trying to wipe at her eyes and compose herself. Lloyd gave her another moment before asking her to say her vows.

"Ryan, you and all of my family know that I've always believed in soulmates. I grew up watching and hearing the stories of my parents' relationship and my belief grew. I saw Kayce and Monica fall in love and stick by each other, even through the hard times, and my belief grew. I watched Beth and Rip fight for their love since they were fifteen and my belief grew. I listened to the stories of your grandparents and my belief grew. I was always the one who believed it but never felt it until you strolled into my life. You saved me from some of my darkest moments, days where I didn't see a future, and days where I hated myself. You believed in me when I couldn't believe in myself. You made me laugh when I didn't think laughing was possible and you caught me when I didn't even know I was falling. I listened to people say how falling in love turned their worlds on their heads but that didn't happen with you. Falling in love with you was like coming home after years away. You are my home, my safe space, and my hope. I promise to love and cherish you through the rest of our lives, to laugh and cry with you but above all to always welcome you home. I love you because, my soulmate and my husband."

It was now Ryan's turn to wipe at his tears but he wasn't alone. At this moment most of their guests had tears streaming down their faces.

"The rings, please," Lloyd rasped out, trying to contain his emotions. Carter handed Ryan Mae's ring and Tate handed Mae Ryan's. The couple exchanged rings.

"Ryan, do you take this woman to be your wife?"

"I do."

"Mae, do you take this man to be your husband?"

"I do."

"By the power invested in me by some website, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Ryan, you may kiss your bride," Lloyd moved out of the way for the photographers to be able to take pictures.

Mae expected to feel something different during this kiss but it was just like all of their other kisses. Full of love and trust and that was all the couple needed.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! I present to you, for the first time ever - Mr and Mrs Dutton-Winchester!"

Mae wanted to keep her last name because of the ranch and Ryan agreed but he wanted to share a last name with his wife. Mae didn't want him to give up his last name in respect to his parents so the two decided to hyphenate but they will mostly be using Dutton.

The people cheered and threw flower petals at the couple as they walked down the aisle, their hands tightly locked together. The hired help quickly moved the chairs out of the way to open the dance floor.

"Now it's time for their first dance," Liam announced and Ryan led her over to the makeshift dance floor.

"Ready, Darlin'?"

Mae nodded a big smile on her face and laughed when Josh Turner's 'Soulmate' started playing.

"It's perfect," Mae smiled at him as he continued to twirl her around the dance floor.

"You're perfect," Ryan replied.

"You're cheesy," Mae added.

"I'm your husband now, better get used to it," Ryan replied with just as big of a smile on his face.

"I love you," Mae told him and he kissed her lips, "I love you too."

The rest of the wedding went off without a hitch. Liam was the best MC as he cracked jokes and announced the different speeches and dances. After their dance, Mae danced with her dad and Ryan danced with his mom. The couple kept being pulled to the dance floor by different people. Mae alone already danced with Kayce, Rip, Jamie, Tate, and Carter.

"Is it my turn to dance with the bride?" Walker asked as he approached her.

"Um, sure," Mae replied. She wasn't inherently close with the man. She can't really remember them ever having actual conversations but he was branded and that made him family.

"You know I've been on a lot of ranches in my day but none quite like this," Walker started, "It just has a way of pulling people back to it."

"Yeah it does but it's home," Mae replied with a shrug.

"I've seen a lot of wranglers fall for the farmer's daughter but I've never seen one like you and him. If I have to bet on any of them making it, it would be you two," Mae could see the sincerity in his eyes.

"Thank you. That means a lot," Mae smiled at him. He nodded before spinning her into Ryan's arms.

"Hi, husband," Mae smiled at him.

"Hi, wife," he greeted back with an equally big smile on his face.

"Now I know that none of you know the story of how Mae and I met-," Liam started holding the microphone as he addressed everyone.

"No!" Mae called out in panic.

"Sorry Boo-Boo, this is too good not to share," Liam winked at her. Ryan pulled Mae into his chest and laughed at the story of Mae literally running into Liam. She was in a bar in town with Charlie when the brunette signed Mae up for karaoke. Mae tried to chase Charlie down to join her on stage but crashed into Liam. The spotlight flashed to her as she was called up to karaoke, Liam hooked his arm around her shoulders and guided her to the stage. He grabbed tequila shots for the both of them before they sang Miley Cyrus Party in the USA together.

"And we're about to get a reenactment of that night!" Liam announced while Beth handed him two tequila shots. Mae laughed but rushed to join him on the stage and they definitely have improved from that first night. Everybody cheered for them.

"Okay now that the excitement is over, we have a special announcement from the bride and the groom's father," Ryan stared confused as his dad joined Mae on the stairs.

"Your dad called me a couple of days ago, Cowboy. He wanted to give us something special as a wedding gift," Mae started before handing the phone over to the older man.

"I wasn't given the chance to be in your life so I missed out on all of the birthdays and Christmas presents. Now it's time for me to make that up to you. I called your beautiful bride here and she sent me through to John. I told the two of them my idea and they agreed. I'm building you two a house. A place to start your family right here on this beautiful ranch. By the time you get back next year, it should be finished," Ryan's jaw dropped in shock before he ran onto the stage and pulled the older man into a hug. He thanked him before wrapping his arms around Mae. He couldn't believe that she managed to keep this from him.

"We're going to have our own home," he breathed in shock and Mae nodded with a big smile on her face.

The rest of the wedding went off without a hitch. Gator had outdone himself with the food and the cake, they were amazing. It was almost time for the send-off, everyone went outside while Mae and Ryan stayed on the dance floor for a private last dance to Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton.

"I love you, so much," Mae told him.

"I love you too, Darlin'. I always will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

925K 20.9K 76
And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness. Published: August 5, 2019 Completed: Apri...
257K 8K 183
What if a Pokémon Trainer found herself in the world of One Piece? What if she found herself with the Strawhat Pirates? What if she finds herself get...
19.3K 910 31
When you really love someone, age, distance, height weight, is just a damn number. A beautiful and cute love story of a university student and a busi...
404K 8.1K 20
Delilah returns home with plans to just focus on her career and take care of her uncle, but it seems fate had other ideas especially with Jax Teller...