AFTERGLOW - JAMES BUCKY BARNE...

Autorstwa chapterofmine

Former Ballerina, Grace Marlyn lives in between two worlds- A full time waiters and an occasional hustler in... Więcej

INTODUCTION
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 29

CHAPTER 28

63 2 0
Autorstwa chapterofmine

GRACE
_________________

Getting through Manhattan crowded metro in late October probably one of the least activity I wished to do at this hour, but Pietro took my car for the second halloween party he was invited last minute off Park Avenue which led me left with nothing but one option when Gary called for a cover up shift tonight, " You know I thought I would be able to get away with covering someone else's shift after I took the morning schedule for Jessie's maternal leave," I chuckled dryly before Claire looked over me with her green doll eyes, " Don't act like you don't miss the night shift," She shrugged a shoulder with the menu over her arm," I do missed night shift but not on Halloween, have you seem the crowd outside?" I asked a rhetorical question before Claire laughed interrupted us as she walked closer behind me," Why bother go outside when you can walk out of this door alone and listen to Gary's calling out for tables," She said in the same time pushing the door with her back to walked out of the room," I would say she's another reason I wasn't up for this shift tonight," I scoffed when Jane walked in from the changing room after I made sure Claire already far enough to heard us out," She's totally losing it after Dave broke off their engagement," Jane chuckled shortly before a rush of energy came through the door so quickly.

" Grace, you have a guest, table nine," Gary called out while I was waiting for the order on table 21 by the front kitchen," What guest?" I asked because I know it couldn't be Dean, not with the Halloween crowd like tonight especially not with his recent condition, I sighed a breath as I fixed the skirt apron before I walked back to the bar," Paul," I breathed out when I saw him sat by table nine all by himself, a paper bag with red bow sitting on the table in front of him," Grace," He shifted on his chair and called out my name when he saw me walked closer, there was a look in his expression for a second before I reached the table.

" I didn't know you two would be here tonight," I asked and moved my eyes around to looked for any other table Dean might preferred for the night, but instead Paul shook his head," Oh no, I'm just here to take some takeouts," He nodded before reaching for the gift off the table separating us," Dean wanted to come since yesterday to give this to you himself, but with the crowd I saw on the news earlier I know it wouldn't be wise," Paul nodded with a short chuckle," Happy Birthday," He continued in the same time he took me by surprised," How did-" I stopped myself shortly and nodded," I can't believe Dean remember," I looked up at Paul quickly,
" Please tell him thank you but I can't received th-"
" It's really nothing, you'll see it when you open the bag," Paul cut me shortly with the present still afloat in front of me before I took it," Well, Thank you," I nodded before Paul shook his head," One more more thing, you told me last time about Clover's policy, before I forgot again here's my number, if the cook stock up the Apple tart do let me know," He said jokingly just a second before I took the card and nod," Will do," I told him right until my eyes caught the small letter on the back side of the paper bag, I looked down by the small card underneath the bow," Trust yourself to find your way back," I kept my eyes on the handwriting card just before Jane walked by with a takeouts handbag and handed it to Paul, he said goodbye as he left me wondering, when did exactly I told any of them about my birthday?

I spent the next two hour of shift moving through  Clover before it was time to clocked out, luckily it was kitchen's staff turn to lock up and I knew better than wasting another second as I took my stuff and the present Dean had for me as soon as possible,
" Good night guys!" I chuckled in the same time I reached for the front door and walked my way outside, right before I found my car parked just few feet in front of Clover," Hop in," Pietro to my surprised as he stood by the hood of my car," Are you insane," I whispered as I hurried toward him.

" I can't have anyone see me driving down here," I protested," Yeah, I know, and that's why I said hopped in," Pietro whispered back before his eyes looked down further than my face," Oh man someone get you a present before me?" He sighed out a breath as he looked over the present Paul gave earlier from Dean," Well, Happy Birthday gorgeous," Pietro grinned as his hand reached for his pocket," What are you doing?" I asked quickly,
" Lighters," Pietro chuckled," You said no cakes so, make a wish, beautiful," He continued as he hold the mechanic matches in front of me, I looked at him for a good ten seconds before claimed my defeat as I blew the little tiny fire," Just drive, Pietro, let's go," I said as I walked to the passengers seat.

Pietro returned the car back into the parking lot building before walked me back to my place even after I told him I didn't need his companion,
" What's on the other bag?" He asked while I reached for my keys," Oh I'm not gonna tell you," I told him with a short chuckle, Pietro shrugged  a shoulder,
" You know, sometimes it's okay to let your wall down and let people try to understand you better," He looked over me with a grin on his face," And where's the fun in that?" I nudge my head over the front door," I should get inside," I nodded before he returned the gesture took me by surprise," Would you at least let me took you to dinner for your birthday? Tomorrow night, I'll take Wanda along, not a date," Pietro raised both of his hand in defeated stance," Okay," I let out a subtle nod before Pietro grinned eagerly and walked himself back to the street and called a cab, I watched the yellow cab drive off before I closed the front door and rushed my way upstairs.

The watch on my table clock turned to 11:50 pm, I had only five minutes left for my birthday and for once I wasted not a single seconds as I dropped my bag and Dean's present to the couch and ran myself to the kitchen, I pulled the fridge handle and sighed out a breath as I took out the small cupcake I've put aside since this morning, a single candle hidden underneath the box was all I needed- I told everyone no cakes, that was just because I'm saving this year's birthday all for myself,

" Make a wish, beautiful," I heard Pietro's voice echoed in my ears as I leaned forward by my kitchen counter, letting the fire started to burnt down the single candle just before I closed my eyes,
" No more slipped," I whispered a single wish under my breath before I blew the candle out and my eyes found the red present bag sitting on my couch, I threw the cupcake down the trash along with candle still intact before I licked the frosting stuck on my finger as I walked back to the living room to grabbed Dean's present.

A pair of fresh satin ballet slippers wrapped in a white cloth inside the bag, for a second my throat felt like it just completely stopped me from breathing before a single tear manage to escaped underneath my eye," Break it off and trust yourself," A note slipped down the white cloth when I took the slippers out, I smiled at the note as it didn't took me long to realized what Dean tried to reminded me about.

" Break it off," Said the note Dean left me, I moved from my couch and wiped the tears off my face as I walked back to my kitchen counter, I hold both of the slippers tightly before I slammed the them against the marble edge, hitting it harder once, twice, to  the point I heard it cracked," There we go," I grinned excitedly just before I pulled the sole and tried to break it off even more until I met the familiar feeling on the loosen shoes, I wasted no time when I ran to my bedroom and grabbed any tights I could found the fastest, get changed and ran back to the living room to put the shoes on.

For a moment I looked down at the pair of freshly beaten up slippers in my hands, it had been years since I actually put one on, let alone tried a basic movement in them," Trust yourself," I stammered under my breath as I reached to put one shoes after the other as I sat down on the floor, the next ten second felt like a rush as I tried to stood off the ground with the pointe shoes on, it took me a few seconds to realized I was closing my eyes shut before I opened them and not believing my eyes when I looked down on a perfect tip toe, my unexpected outburst of excitement made me moved  around the living room without hesitation before I stopped myself the second I felt a hint of pain started to creeping over my waist," Shit," I cursed to no one but myself, blaming myself for being too excited to the point I've forgotten how I can't hit the basic Odette anymore.

Six years since my accident took everything I had planned and it wasn't until three years ago when I completely gave it all, I exhaled a deep of breath before my eyes caught a faint of my reflection in the mirror and how much I have changed since that accident, I sighed out a breath before I took both shoes off and hang it underneath my white console, the pale pink color at least a nice addition to my dull life since that accident.

For a second part of me wished I still owned the old pair I used to have but of course you can't always get your wish granted, because those old slippers probably now collecting dust in one of NYPD evidence locker, shoved to the back of the evidence shelf along with its closed case file- I sighed out a breath and grabbed my journal out of the small table in my living before I slipped the birthday card Dean had for me," Break it off," I wrote down, " Like the near broken bones you almost crushed that night," I whispered the words out before realizing I've wrote it down to the journal, stopping myself quickly I closed the book shut and moved it into my bookshelves hoping to forget it like any other books I have left unread, I took a last glance over the pale pink slippers before I shoved back the memories of the past to the far side of my mind as I locked myself into my bedroom for the night.

_________________

" Could you at least just try to relax," Pietro chuckled as he kept his eyes on me, the dinner he asked me to just casually turned into a nightclub hit, for once I really wished I didn't came out here tonight, not when I couldn't kept my mind away from the pale pink slipper hang underneath my console," You good?" Pietro asked as he leaned over on the table with the second shot on his hand," I'm fine," The word came out harshly as I shifted from my seat just before Wanda walked to the booth with two champion glass," You won't believe what I just get myself into," She laughed until she gave me the champagne," Champagne? really?" Pietro's eyebrows furrowed as I reached for the glass,
" Where did you get these from?" I chuckled shortly,
" Oh, there's a bachelorette party next door before I walked in," She said before finishing the drink in one go," What's going on in here?" Wanda asked as soon as she looked from her brother to where I sat right across from him, Pietro chuckled dryly," I think our Grace getting a little bored," Pietro shrugged a shoulder on me and the word Grace came out with a different tone as if he was addressing a royal highness.

" What? I just got here!" Wanda shot a look at me with a hand over her chest before I laughed," That's a lie, I mean now your sister's here," I chuckled when Pietro make a winched face," Well, I'll take it from here then," Wanda took my hand and told me to joined her, I mouthed, "Sorry," toward Pietro before he sighed in defeat and walked himself to the bar," Where are we going?" I leaned closer next to Wanda's ear just to make sure she heard me from all the music around us," We're going to play a game," Wanda said loudly led the whole crowd in the bar cheered loudly around us.

" And what's in it for me?" I asked Wanda as I kept my back leaned by the bar, watching over the crowd for our next target- not that we were pulling a tip tonight but it did so much more better than sat still on the booth floor just like what Pietro planned for the night," I'd say fifty grands if you win," Wanda looked over me daringly before she took the glass off my hand," Come on it would be fun, besides, it's not like we have anything else better to do anyway," She chuckled as I rolled my eyes on her," Fifty? and you want me to do what, exactly?" I chuckled as I grabbed another glass the bartender just kept serving on our open tab courtesy of Pietro's generosity," See that guy by the stairs?" Wanda moved from her seat as she leaned closer to my ear," Yeah, what about him?" I asked shortly,
" Get him to take you back to his room," Wanda paused as she looked over me," I told you it's an easy money," She grinned as she leaned back right before Pietro rejoined our spot," I'm still debating if I should get Cassie back to her place or mine," He chucked before looking over from his sister to where I tried to fixed my dark grey dress, just before I took a deep breath in," And if I lose?" I looked back to Wanda in the same time she grinned on me," You need to crashed in a wedding for me," Wanda shrugged a shoulder before I nodded at her, " What are we doing?" Pietro asked to his sister,
" And here I thought we're celebrating my birthday," I gave Wanda a quick wink before I walked to the guy we have for targeted.

I moved myself through the crowd as I kept my eyes on the guy with a red tie, he was taller and more intimidating than I was anticipated for sure- but I wasn't one to backed down from Wanda's little game," Jesus, is there anyone here competent enough to get me drink?" I said in the same time I fixed my sling bag over my shoulder as I acted all lost the second I claimed the stairs, exactly where the guy to my absolute luck already had his eyes on me as soon as I took the first three stair steps ahead of him," Excuse me?" He chuckled with a mischievous grinned as he turned to looked up at my direction," I meant the bartenders, they keep skipping my order," I told the man dryly before his sudden laugh took me be aback," Well, allow me," The guy extended a hand in front of me before I took it after I acted like I was considering his offer.

He took my hand and led me to walked through the opposite direction away from the crowds, I glanced over my shoulder to made sure Wanda was watching and sure she did followed us within 12 feet away," Hope, two Macallan neat," The guy called out as soon as we reached the second bar I wasn't aware of," I didn't know this place have another spot," I nodded subtly before the guy released my hand and invited to sat down by the stool chair next to him, he hold my gaze as I took the seat before the smirk on his face grew wider," Probably because this area's off limits darling, " The guy's words took me by surprised before I moved my eyes to glanced over my shoulder where I found Wanda walked back with a security behind her, Shit- I muttered to no one but myself before the guy with the red tie moved from his chair, took one of the Macallan and nodded,

" Enjoy your drink, it's on the house," He said as he started to walk away," I'm drinking alone?" I asked over my shoulder stopping him halfway, his grin grew wider as he looked over me," Perhaps next time, I might have some bartender to fire waiting outside," He nodded before finally walked out the door and left me unexpectedly and for once I lost a bet long before I could even get a name, I sighed out a rush of breath and grabbed the free Macallan off the counter before I chugged it in one shot,

" Let's hope it's not too late for me to start finding a dress for a wedding," I sighed under my breath and thank this Hope for the drink.

_______________________

Wanda's laughing carried the whole walk to the parking lot, of course not a single one of us was responsible enough to drove back home which was why I called Yelena to picked us up after knowing she was in the area," He actually just left?" Yelena laughed along as we took a left on Soho, Wanda leaned over my shoulder as we kept walking she nodded," Better yet she didn't even get a name!" Wanda laughed louder just before I realized how Yelena had slowed down and suddenly hold my hand tighter as soon as she saw a small crowd right across the street.

" What's going on?" Wanda asked," I don't know, but why don't we take another road yeah?" Yelena's voice was an echo as a knot in my stomach tighten by an ambulance siren approached from the opposite direction, probably had to cut in through the road for the emergency," Grace, let's go," I heard Yelena's voice before Wanda took my other hand," Come on," She said before I nodded.

" Grace?"
" Grace!"

Someone was screaming, so loud you could never guessed which direction it came from," Somebody help," The voice begged desperately, even in the golden lights shining down from the bridge her skin was an unnatural shade of red, she can't feel anything- not even the thick gushing blood running over her skin, my skin, I realized.

Blood, I cover my mouth with my hands to muffled my scream but move it away quickly when I feel something sticky over my lips, blood, more blood, thicker than liquid- honey like. I rub my hands over my shirt frantically the second my numbness wash away and panic start to take over and I start noticing more blood pooling on the wooden floor like its trying to get into me, drowning me into it's dark pool before I immediately move backward and my back lay flat against a wall just as my head begins to spin with worry, sadness and fear as the tears start to well up under my eyes.

As always I actually waiting for them to spill, but they don't, instead I hear James footsteps fills the quiet room as he approaches from the door wide open on my right side before suddenly he carries me out of the room as I struggle to get myself out if his arms.

" You okay?" His question taking my aback as he moves me around as if he is looking for injuries, my throat feels dry as if I have been screaming for minutes or hours before I catch James's steel blue eyes watching over me with worries," It's not mine, I'm sorry, I.." I stop myself the second I realize how the blood still all over my shaking hands as I look down at them," No," I mutter under my breath, my voice barely make a hint of noise as I try to wipe the blood off my hands with the hem of my shirt," I need to get these off," My voice is a fearful plea now as I keep wiping my hands over and over again.

" Grace, stop, stop it," James says as he try to stop me by pulling my hands close to his chest before I pull them away from him," let me go," I say angrily in the same time I look up at him, my frustration finally turn into anger before I let myself drop to the floor right outside the room, I sit down and bury my elbows into my knees.

James watches over me as he kneels in front of me  for over who knows how long just until he moves a hand over his face and finally looking over the dead body in the room, Paul, my hands still shaking from the shocking because nothing could prepared me for what I just found," How did he get in here?" James asks shortly before I scoff dryly," Who cares?" My voice lost in the middle just before I shot a look up at him," Well I do, Grace," He sigh a deep exhale before looking back into the room until he decides to walk inside, walking pass Paul's lifeless body to the broken laptop still flickering its light on the table.

I suck in a deep breath and stand up from the floor, still shaking by the present of death in the room I cross my hands over my stomach closely and keep my eyes somewhere else instead of the pooling blood on the floor," Something's not right," James's voice echos around the still quiet room as I lean my back against the bookshelf for support, nausea start to creeping in me out of heartbreak because for what was worth, Paul had been one acquaintance I welcomed besides the staff around Clover.

" No shit it's not," I hold myself closely as I keep my hands crossing over my stomach before my eyes caught something near the wide wooden desk, just few inches away from the edge of the blood on the floor," What are you doing?" James asks as I walk closer to Paul's stiff body even though everything inside of my telling me to stop and the knot in my chest tighten at the sign of what I'm hoping I was wrong about, a choke sound escape my mouth as I pull the leather bound book I spend most of the night with," This," My voice barely a whisper, out of anger and any other emotions I'm trying to hold back, I let out a rush of breath and clutch my hands over my stomach as a sick feeling start to feel more unbearable after I throw my missing journal over James's direction.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

6.9K 166 11
Allie-Grace Carter was the top cheerleader and dancer at her high school and had been dating Bucky Barnes since freshmen year of high school. They ha...
261K 5.7K 44
(I was inspired by the Wattpad possessed by: @dyspneagrime It's really good, read it) (Also I own no characters except the ones I made and of course...
178K 4.2K 70
🖤Mature🖤Romance🖤 "Where's he going?" "To her. His Passerine." Kristyn, a fragile, little girl struggling her days in the crowded city of New York...
317 10 10
Chapters that include smut will have a asterisk (*) before the title of the chapter. Amidst the chaos of a terrorist attack in New York City, Y/N fi...