Fused By Fate

By ShepsGrey

He was a lawyer, a single father to his beautiful daughter. She had the kindest heart, a heart that many took... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen

Nine

191 11 5
By ShepsGrey

Another two weeks had passed within a blink of an eye. A whole three weeks and two days since the attack. Meredith had been discharged a little over a week and a half ago. Back to the home she grew up in, into the room that had been decorated with each phase she had growing up.

She was a shell of herself, terrified to leave the comfort of the house, she spent most days in the fetal position crying, choking back sobs until she'd fall asleep. She barely ate, she barely spoke. Although three weeks had passed the deep cut on her lip was still there. The bruises had started to fade but surgery cuts, the areas the glass pierced still held the evidence of her pain, of her biggest fight.

She once believed she'd never be like this no matter how her and Kyle ended. But before she never anticipated him almost beating her to death. She had tried to be strong but everything overwhelmed her. The moment things around her were quiet she would drift back to the dark world she'd lived in for eight months.  She tried to stop thinking about it but she couldn't. 

Most nights her piercing screams would alert Ellis into the bedroom where she'd hold her for hours, kiss her head and tell her she's safe. She experienced nightmares as well as the worst panic attacks Ellis had ever seen. Ones where all colour would drain from her face as she struggled for breath.

Lexie had been battling her own demons as she watched April and Jackson grow closer before her eyes despite she and Jackson being together. His distance brought her closer to Mark. She had spent more time with him than Jackson in the time since Meredith's attack. She had become close to Amelia too. She'd seen Derek often especially once the kids were back in their school routine. Mark was almost nearly always by Derek's side.

She had watched as Derek parented his daughter, showed her nothing but love and affection. He was the man she could see her sister with in the future. It was a gut feeling. She'd been hanging out with them many times when he would disappear with Sofia to talk to Meredith on the phone. It was one thing that brought her peace, Meredith was talking to someone even if in little words.

Derek and Mark had begun their work on Meredith's case. Piecing a timeline together, they had few images Meredith had sent from the early abuse she'd recieved in the first weeks as well as many screenshots of threats he had sent her over the phone.

Meredith's eyes slowly opened as the cool breeze from the window washed over her body. She slept with the security latch on. She'd figured out in the past couple of nights if she slept with the window open slightly with a warm light on in the corner she could sleep without any terrors.

She felt more refreshed, a little more like herself as she stretched out. She let a light wince escape her lips, her ribs still aching from the break and bruising.  

The first thing she did was shower, she washed her greasy hair with her new favourite lavender shampoo and conditioner. She knew she needed to do these things for herself, for her recovery and sanity.

She dressed in black cotton leggings with a blue long sleeved floral top that she had tucked in. Sitting at her dressing table she decided on wearing minimal makeup. Concealer for her bruises with mascara and lip gloss. Just those little things with a spray of perfume made her feel more human, more like her, more in control. The bed was changed with fresh pink floral sheets, the curtains open, airfreshner had been sprayed and the rubish removed.

Stepping into the lounge Ellis sat drinking a coffee, her work things by her side. 

"Morning mum"Meredith smiled from the door. Ellis' head snapped around as a large smile fell onto her lips.

"You look amazing darling, are you feeling okay? I am so proud of you" She walked to her daughter and softly embraced her as she placed kisses to Meredith's forehead.

"I feel a little better, the sleep is helping. I think having the air and light helps alot. I messaged Derek I want to start building the case properly so I can move on from that chapter of my life. I'm trying not to let the dark clouds linger over my head"Light tears built in Meredith's eyes as she spoke. 

"That sounds wonderful darling. I will be with you every step of the way. Holding your hand and encouraging you. You've got this" Ellis had always been her biggest supporter. They sat and ate breakfast together before Ellis left to work.

With a gentle sigh Meredith pulled her phone out and dialled his number, in the moments she'd felt okay he was all she could think about, him and his daughter.

Derek was at home, in his dark jeans and white shirt after a messy morning of making pancakes with Sofia. Sofia's dark hair had been styled into a ponytail, she giggled as she ran around the garden in her summer dress and sandals. She chased Hope around with her pink rope toy before throwing it every now and then. 

Mark had joined him as he often did on the weekends, he had watched Sofia whilst Derek showered himself. Derek was the best father, the best parent, he hated that he had to work some evenings but it was all so he could look after Sofia, make sure she had everything she would ever need. But having a close family unit made everything so natural especially on those later evenings.

He had just finished clearing up when his phone rang, Meredith's name flashed across his screen for the first time in four days. He had messaged her a little the day before when she said she wanted to start helping him build the case with Mark, when she had sent a few images of injuries and many screenshots. 

"Hey, everything okay"He answered as he peered out into his garden. Smiling as Sofia pulled Mark around now. 

"Hey, I..I was wandering what you were doing today"She gulped toward the end. 

"I was going to head to the park with Sofia and Hope to see the family as they were otherwise occupied yesterday. But if you wanted to come I am sure my little girl would be over the moon she misses you like crazy" Derek gribbed his phone tightly. The truth was he missed her. He missed their chats, her laugh, how she would comfort Sofia when she was upset, how she always made sure he ate no matter how tired he was when he got home from work. The four weeks he had spent getting to know her before the incident had left a permanent mark in his life. 

"Would that be okay please?  I don't want to intrude I know I am coming to the office tomorrow but I just don't want to be alone"She admitted.

"No worries sweetheart. Are you good to drive here then you can come in my car when we go out. You'll have to fight with Mark over who gets the front seat"He chuckled to himself.

"Thank you, I won't be long. Thank you"The call cut, he rested both elbows on the counter as his hands ran over his face. She sounded better yet still so fragile.

"You okay"Mark asked as he walked in for a drink.

"Meredith is coming with us today"Mark smiled before nodding.

"You've missed her man, I could see it all over your face. She's good for you"Mark patted his back.  

When the door knocked Derek was ready, the moment he opened it he felt as though the air had been knocked from his lungs. She looked stunning, she always had but it was something about the genuine smile and her warm eyes. 

"You look beautiful Meredith"He complimented, an obvious blush flushed her cheeks as she blinked rapidly and smiled looking down to the floor.

"Thank you, I covered the bruises the best I could"Derek rolled his eyes.

"Don't. You shouldn't have even tried. I haven't told Sofia yet, come"He held his hand out which she took slowly. He led her through the familiar setting of his home. They made it to the doors of the garden before Sofia's eyes fell on them. A smile that reached her eyes appeared as she ran over to them, slowing as she got closer.

"Meredithhhh"She beamed as the blonde knelt to recieve the hug. "Daddy said a bad man hurt you. Don't worry daddy puts bad mans away" She spoke so inocently.

"Men princess, bad men"Derek corrected. Sofia rolled her eyes, something she clearly learnt from her father.

"I missed you little firecracker" Meredith spoke as Sofia looked up at her.

"We missed you daddy did lots! Are you coming park with us"She clapped her hands happily when Meredith nodded. 

The seating arrangements were easy to figure. Hope was in her usual spot in the boot with the parcel shelf removed. Meredith sat in the back with Sofia and Mark at the front. 

Walking across the field she felt lightly nervous, she knew the Shepherd family knew everything, they'd been looking after Lexie. Making sure she was okay through it all.

On the large circular table under the tree they normally sat up Amelia nudged Lexie's side. The brunette looked up as did Clara, both women blinking to see if what they were seeing was real. 

Henry smiled as did Carolyn. Lexie stood up quickly "Thats my sister"She squealed running as fast as she could her heart felt ready to explode.

Meredith watched as her sister ran at her like an angry rhino, she sensed she wasn't slowing down and braced herself for the collision which happened soon after.

"Shit I'm sorry, I forogt I am just so excited you are here"Lexie held her tightly. She could sense Derek close to Meredith's side. "Your doing?"She questioned but he shook his head.

"Meredith asked to come, I just drove."He chuckled. Meredith looked up at him before trekking across the field with them. Sofia instantly ran off too the playground when she saw Hugo. Meredith near the end, Derek was the one at the end and she was beside him. Lexie next to her then Mark, then Carolyn, Clara, Henry and Amelia.

"You look better, how are you"Clara asked over the table.

"I'm trying. I spent over a week in my room barely talking, eating, showering and that isn't me. My nightmares kept mum up a lot but the past couple of nights i had the window open with the catch on with a warm light on it isn't bright it gives enough light though and its helping, no nightmares. I woke up this morning showering, cleaned the room, actually got dressed and ate with my mum. "Meredith felt Lexie's hand grip hers.

"I am glad you are here. I missed you" Clara offered a smile.

The day continued with back and forth conversation, they ate lunch at the cafe beside the cafe, Meredith took Sofia on the paddle boats which Derek watched in awe with Carolyn. She ate icecream, she laughed and showed everyone she was still in there.

It was late when they left each other.  Sofia had a mcdonald's for dinner. She refused to let Derek bath her so Meredith stayed and bathed her whilst Derek packed Sofia's lunch for the best day. He left her outfit ready on the chair in her bedroom. Mark washed a smelly Hope in the garden and dried her before heading home himself.

Meredith dried Sofia's hair, plaited it as well as helped her into her pyjamas. Once she was ready for bed Meredith called for Derek who tucked her up and read her a story. He allowed a movie to play on her tv, only because he could sense her tiredness .

"I should go"Meredith whispered as she stood with Derek in the kitchen. He turned to her with a soft smile.

"You look sleepy, go get some rest. Will you be okay driving to the office tomorrow. Its so close to your apartment"He sighed.

"I'll be okay. I promise" Meredith looked into his beautiful eyes. "Thank you for today. I needed it more than I let on"She tried her best to wrap her arms around his broad frame but failed.  Pulling back from the embrace Derek's hand trailed from her waist to her cheek. His thumb began to lightly skim over the mark on her lip.

"We'll get him sweetheart. I promise you that. I'll have the biggest sentence slapped on his wrist for what he's done to you." His words were full of sincerity.

Meredith thanked him again once he had walked her to the door, she drove the short distance home before messaging him to let him know she was okay. 

She ate some pasta, showered again, changed into pajama shorts and a vest before starting the new evening routine. She opened the window slightly and put on the security latch, closed the curtains and turned on the small light that sat on her desk. 

She fell asleep with a smile that night, she knew she would be okay. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 9.2K 162
what if meredith and derek were best friends ever since childhood and went down the same career path. they share an apartment down the road from thei...
64.5K 2.2K 50
Her secret is safe, but she is not. Will Derek be able to see her suffer but not help her? Meredith Grey , the smart and gorgeous daughter of Ellis...
34K 1.2K 46
Derek Shepherd comes into a new town as an attending at Grey-Sloan Memorial, while he's also handling the struggle of being a single father to his te...
49.1K 3.8K 104
TW suicide and sh