A Wish on a Full Moon

By FlareSouth511

After Cleo accidentally grants Kim's wish on the night of a full moon, everyone including enemies, family, an... More

Kim's Wish (Part 1)
Kim's Wish (Part 2)
The Letter
Metamorphosis (Part 1)
Metamorphosis (Part 2)
Pool Party (Part 1)
Pool Party (Part 2)
Catch of the Day (Part 1)
Catch of the Day (Part 2)
Time to Talk
Party Girls (Part 1)
Party Girls (Part 2)
Something Fishy (Part 1)
Something Fishy (Part 2)
Young Love (Part 1)
Young Love (Part 2)
Moon Spell (Part 1)
Moon Spell (Part 2)
Roommates
The Denman Affair (Part 1)
The Denman Affair (Part 2)
Dangerous Waters (Part 1)
Dangerous Waters (Part 2)
The Camera Never Lies (Part 1)
The Camera Never Lies (Part 2)
Sink or Swim (Part 1)
Sink or Swim (Part 2)
The Siren Effect (Part 1)
The Siren Effect (Part 2)
Shipwrecked (Part 1)
Shipwrecked (Part 2)
Breaking the Ice
Are You Ready?
Surprise! (Part 1)
Surprise! (Part 2)
The Big Chill (Part 1)
The Big Chill (Part 2)
Lovesick (Part 1)
Lovesick (Part 2)
Under the Weather (Part 1)
Under the Weather (Part 2)
Bad Moon Rising (Part 1)
Bad Moon Rising (Part 2)
To Forgive or Forget
Hurricane Angela (Part 1)
Hurricane Angela (Part 2)
Hook, Line and Sinker (Part 1)
Hook, Line and Sinker (Part 2)
Red Herring (Part 1)
Red Herring (Part 2)
One Case Closed, Another One Opened
Party of Four
Fish Out of Water (Part 1)
Fish Out of Water (Part 2)
In Too Deep (Part 1)
In Too Deep (Part 2)
Love Potion #9 (Part 1)
Love Potion #9 (Part 2)
Dr. Danger (Part 1)
A Twist in the Tail (Part 1)
A Twist in the Tail (Part 2)
Grief, Acceptance, & Forgiveness
Season 2 - Stormy Weather (Part 1)
Stormy Weather (Part 2)
Control (Part 1)
Control (Part 2)
The One That Got Away (Part 1)
The One That Got Away (Part 2)
Fire and Ice (Part 1)
Fire and Ice (Part 2)
Hocus Pocus (Part 1)
Hocus Pocus (Part 2)
What the Future Holds

Dr. Danger (Part 2)

328 10 0
By FlareSouth511

I do not own H2O: Just Add Water or any of the characters.

Chapter 60: Dr. Danger (part 2)

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[The girls plus Lewis sat at a table inside the cafe, hanging out as Emma talks about her troubles at home. Rikki leans her head back, looking anywhere else but at the 'lovely' couple sitting next to her.]

Emma: "My whole family hates me, and there's nothing I can do about it."

"You could tell them the truth," Bella suggested. Her parents understood when she told them. Shocked and took a while, but they understood. If their parents loved them, then they most likely would understand them too. Clearly, they do as they seem to have taken it quite well so far. But then again, you never know what a person's reaction will be to something this shocking. Especially from someone you've known literally your whole life. "Not an option at the time," Emma looked down.

"We didn't hate you. We were just surprised, that's all," Lisa defended themselves. "I know that now mom," Emma said with a small smile. But Elliot was definitely angry. I've never seen him that angry before.

Cleo: "I'm sure that's not true."

Emma: "They do. Especially Elliot." Cleo goes back to smiling at Lewis as he draws a heart in a pile of sand that he poured on the table. The same heart as the one in the mooncave on Mako Island. "I mean, he's just a little kid. He doesn't deserve to go without his holidays."

"You guys weren't even paying attention!" Emma scoffed. "We were. I wouldn't have responded otherwise," Cleo exclaimed. "And what about him?" Emma jabbed her thumb at Lewis. "I was listening," Lewis crossed his arms.

"I'm not a little kid. I'm eleven, a preteen," Elliot protested, the audience chuckling. "Still little, kiddo," Rikki grinned as she rubbed his hair, making Elliot pout.

"Why not just go on the holiday with them and just stay away from water?" Sam asked. "Because if I did, I would have just had to stay inside the resort room the entire holiday. There was water everywhere we went," Emma told her. "And now that I think about it, that probably would have only made her miserable. Us spending time in the water without her. Her family having fun and she couldn't join in," Lisa sighed in understanding. And us not knowing why, begging her to join us, but she would keep on refusing.

Emma: notices Lewis not paying attention. "Lewis? Are you listening to me, Lewis?"

Lewis: raises an eyebrow. "What?"

Emma: "This is important."

Lewis: "Oh, I'm – I'm listening." Just then, someone walks in through the beaded curtains and heads right for their table.

"Sure, you were," Emma shook her head at him for his earlier comment. "That face definitely says he was," Charlotte giggled, trying not to focus on their lovey-dovey aura.

Emma: "You know, I'm really starting to hate this whole mer –." The person comes up to them, revealing themself as Dr. Denman.

Dr. Denman: "Lewis."

"You were gonna say mermaid thing, weren't you?" Max assumed. "Mermaid thing, mermaid business. I dunno. But it was gonna start with mermaid obviously," Emma shrugged.

"It can be a pain sometimes," Cleo grumbled. "Yeah, no kidding," Bella mumbled. This is coming from someone who's been a mermaid for seven years now. She understands the struggle. Not being able to swim with people without revealing the secret, having to avoid getting a drop of water on yourself, and keeping control of your powers. So many lies, so many secrets to hide, and hardly anyone to trust. It's quite a bit of responsibility and a struggle to keep hidden.

The parents resume their tight grips either in one another's hands or the armchairs, hoping only the latter will be the only ones breaking as the crazy doctor meets all the girls for the first time. And so close to them and their scaley secret at that.

[Rikki's eyes widen as she heard the scientist's voice behind her. Emma cuts her rant off immediately and they all turn toward Denman, who stands by their side.]

Dr. Denman: "Sorry to interrupt." Looks back to Lewis and points to the side. "Can I have a word?"

"At least they're in public, she wouldn't do anything to any of them in public," Annette whispered. "With her, you never know," Charlotte whispered back, glaring at the screen. Don't do it, Lewis. Don't let her get you wrapped all back up in that mess. Don't let her sink her talons in you.

Lewis: nods his head, a serious look on his face. "Yeah, sure." Lewis stands up and follows her to the other side of the café. Cleo rubs her neck nervously as the three of them watch her go.

Rikki: leans over to her, nodding her head in her hand. "You're right. Her eyes are too close together." A small grin escapes Cleo's lips.

A burst of laughter fills the room, from most at least (as Denman had covered her eyes in embarrassment) not expecting the comment. "Oh, Rikki," Terry shook his head in laughter. Only you would know how to break such tension. "Oh, relax. I was only joking," Rikki smirked as she saw the doctor feeling her face in self-consciousness.

Dr. Denman: waits for Lewis to turn and face her. The girls watch the two like a hawk in the background. "I like you, Lewis. You're smart."

"Trying to butter him up. That's not going to work," Max said, crossing his arms. "While I do accept the compliments, which I already knew, you're right Max. It won't," Lewis pointed out for them.

Lewis: crosses his arms and grins. Nods his head. "Can we please just cut to the chase, doctor?"

"Short and simple. Just the way it should go. Get right to the point," Don nodded, approving of Lewis trying to make her leave as soon as possible. If it were him, he would've refused to talk to her and made her leave altogether. It's good for him to at least hear what she had to say, so they could have some knowledge of what her plans were.

"Doctor, hmm that's a change. No more Linda?" Ash asked. "I think after our last interaction before she had left, was my cut off for a first-name basis," Lewis answered. "I'd rather just stick with doctor or Dr. Denman."

Dr. Denman: throws her hands to her side. "Ok. I need to know about that cell sample you had last time I was in town."

"Wouldn't it be better to talk about that somewhere more private? And not in the public of the café?" Will asked. "I appreciate the comfort of the café," Lewis answered, relieved that she didn't take him somewhere quieter, and no prying eyes to find him. And the safety of it too. Since she did pretty much lure me into a trap, kidnapped me, and held me hostage in order to capture and blackmail the girls, Lewis thought as he held back from shuttering. He squeezed Cleo's hand for reassurance, one she eagerly responded with her own, as if she knew what he was thinking about.

"Just let it go, please," Don whispered, his heart racing in fear.

Lewis: shakes his head in disbelief. "N – no, I don't have time for this."

Dr. Denman: "Well, I've found something similar. On a big fish scale, from Mako Island ... from some strange pool under a volcano." Lewis's grin slowly drops as she speaks, the fear beginning to kick in as he realizes she found not only the moonpool, their secret hideout, and the beginning of the whole secrecy, but along with it, another sample. He glances away for a moment, having nothing to say to respond to that. Denman grins, noticing his silence. "Good to see I've finally got your attention."

"Well, there are other ways, but this one was probably better," Ash frowned.

"Who wouldn't pay attention to that, after you pretty much revealed that you were so close to finding out where exactly those samples came from?" Kim scoffed, worried for her sister and only increasing her parent's worries as she spoke her thoughts.

"At least she had told me, so we were one step ahead without her realizing it," Lewis told the others. Even if she was catching up rather quickly without any of us knowing ... and soon became one step ahead.

Dr. Denman: "See, the cells that I extracted from the scale are too similar to the cells from your sample. There's no way it's a coincidence."

"I dunno. It's quite a big world out there. And no way we could discover all the mysteries of the sea. That's been proven plenty of times," Max informed.
"I'm surprised you didn't realize the first sample was a scale," Lewis mentioned. "The first one was a smaller sample and was in its 'dry' form then. I didn't know where the original source came from," Denman explained, barely heard.

Lewis: "Well, I got mine from seaweed on the beach."

"That could sound believable. After all, you never know what gets washed up from the water. Lots of stuff gets pulled in and found in seaweed all the time," Ash mentioned. "Mainly trash though," Emma said, remembering the beach rally they had for the beach cleanup. "But it still wouldn't explain how Denman was able to find one in the mooncave. I mean, we know how, but she didn't," Bella gestured to herself. "A coincidence," Ash shrugged.

Dr. Denman: shoulders sag, rolls her eyes. "Hmm. You see, I just don't believe you."

Lewis: shakes his head. "Believe what you want. I can't help you." Lewis walks back to the table where the girls remained, staring at them as he throws his hands up at them. Denman stayed for a moment, her smile never leaving her face.

"What's with the creepy smile?" Kim said, a bit disgruntled. "I knew he was hiding something," Denman mumbled. "It was obvious, but he had a good reason for it. He was trying to protect his friends," Mrs. Chatham said.

"Good, Lewis. Don't help her. Don't let her get near my daughter," Don nearly shouted. "I never wanted her too," Lewis mumbled, inaudible to others.

Dr. Denman: walks over to their table as Lewis sits down. Talks to the other girls. "Sorry for the interruption." Glances down at the table and notices Lewis's hand-drawn heart in the salt, the exact same as the one on Mako Island. Her eyes widen slightly before cooling her calm features and walks away with a small grin. The girls watch her go before leaning in closer to Lewis and begin to interrogate him.

"Why didn't you get rid of the salt drawing?! You should've done that the moment you found out about her being in the mooncave!" Ash shouted, mentally facepalming. "I didn't have the chance. She had only just told me when we were away from the table. And as soon as I sat down it was already too late. She had already seen it," Lewis huffed.

"Now she knows that you were lying and that you were there," Neil sighed in worry. "And possibly Cleo," Bev shivered, glancing over at the doctor in terror. She seems like a good person, and they've gotten along quite well. But if she had hurt her daughter, then all those interactions won't matter, and Don won't have to worry about dealing with her. She'll deal with Linda first.

Rikki: "What was that about?"

Emma: "What did she say?"

Cleo: "Do you think she's pretty?" They all look at Cleo. She winces. "Sorry."

"Your jealousy is showing," Rikki teased.

"Seriously? That's the first question that popped into your head?" Kim raised an eyebrow as her parents shook their heads in amusement, the terrible mood momentarily forgotten. "It was a sensible question," Cleo shrugged uncomfortably.

"This almost feels like good cop, bad cop," Will chuckled. "Then what would be the third cop?" Bella asked, a small grin on her face. "Clearly the ignorant cop, Cleo," Rikki grinned. "It was important," Cleo defended. "To you."

"Should've asked him that question the first time they met. The answer was clear as day then," Zane chuckled lightly.

"At least there were two important questions," Annette sighed.

Lewis: looks downcast. "There's – there's a possibility that she may have, um –."

Rikki: "Spit it out, Lewis." They all look at him, intensely.

"Just get straight to the point, why don't ya?" Will grinned. "That's the way I like it," Rikki nodded as Terry said at the same time, "That's Rikki for ya."

"It was difficult to talk about," Lewis sighed.

Lewis: stutters. "She's found some evidence."

Emma: "You said she didn't have anything."

"I did, but that was before she went into the mooncave," Lewis mentioned.

"He did just find out literally a minute ago that she did have something. Give him some cred," Ash pointed out. "Yes. Thank you for the correction," Emma sarcastically said. "You're welcome," he smiled smugly.

Lewis: grimaces. "She hasn't got – anything. Sh –." Shakes his head. "She found a cell sample from one of your tails."

"From me," Cleo slightly raised her hand. "From Cleo," Don and Bev whispered. "From my sister," Kim grumbled. "From her," Denman muttered as she shrunk into her seat, the atmosphere feeling even thicker than before.

Emma and Rikki: eyes wide. "What?" Cleo bites her lip, knowing that it had to be from her.

Lewis: "Look, from Mako Island. From the moonpool." Emma and Rikki straighten up a little bit as he reveals that Denman had found their hidden home.

Cleo: "This is really bad."

"Yeah, no kidding," Will muttered.

"We should ban you from having dates there," Rikki told her. "Hey, it could've happened to any of us. And besides, you guys had just said earlier that it was a really nice place to have dates," Cleo remarked. "Well next time don't do it when there's a crazy scientist around," Rikki stated. "We didn't know she came back. And next time don't date a crazy mermaid hunter," Cleo shot back.

Lewis: "Look, I know it looks that way. I do, ok? But, let's just think about it. Alright. We'll just think about it."

"In what way would thinking help in this situation?" Kim asked. "Planning, pros and cons, problem-solving, conclusions/solutions, ideas, back up pl –," Lewis began to list off before Kim cut him off. "Okay, okay. You proved your point." She rolled her eyes at a smug-looking Lewis.

Rikki: "That almost never helps, Lewis."

"See?" Kim gestured to the screen. "Do I need to go over my list again?" "No!" "I thought so," Lewis grinned.

"Thinking is a lot better than acting. Acting before thinking can lead to more mistakes," Mrs. Chatham told Rikki.

Lewis: "She has an unusual cell sample. She cannot link that to you. We'll just make sure it stays that way."

"It's true. Despite the advance in technology, there's no way they could link that sample to either a type of fish or to you guys. There are too many species to try and connect it to, not to mention that there wasn't a DNA strand to match it with," Max informed, relieving the parents ever so slightly.

"An unusual sample that can cause a lot more harm than you think," Lisa said worriedly. But as long as it doesn't come back to our little girl ...

"It's not like we could try to take the sample back. She's going to have her guard back up after the last time. Plus, all the extra crew that are on board," Rikki sighed.

Cleo: raises her eyebrows. "Hope so, Lewis." The table goes silent as they process what they just learned. Rikki grabs her sunglasses, stands up, and walks away.

"Us too," most of the parents said. That hope was the only thing left that could protect their daughters.

Terry looked at the screen in worry. He hoped that she wasn't going to act before thinking. Don't do anything stupid, Rikki. It's not worth it.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Outside of the Juicenet café, Denman was walking away from the pavilion when Zane spots her. He walks up behind her and calls out to the scientist.]

Zane: "Dr. Denman." She stops and turns when her name is called. "Have you seen anything interesting out at Mako?"

Dr. Denman: sighs deeply. "Look, I'm sorry to disappoint you, ok?" Throws her hands to the side, shaking her head. "But there's nothing out there." As they talk, Rikki walks outside with her sunglasses on, assumably planning on leaving the café, when she looks over and sees the two talking to one another.

"Why lie to him? You could've just told him the truth. There was no harm," Elliot frowned. "Actually, there was. Zane believed in the whole mermaid thing so much, he would've just believed that the scale came from a mermaid, even though it did. And if not from the size of it, but from the color as well," Harrison sighed, finally speaking up for the first time in a while. While others might think it's because he probably didn't have anything to say, it was actually because his mind was overloaded with 'what if's' when his old friends find out what he did, and almost did, to their daughters. The possibilities were endless and constantly replayed in his mind. Overall, it will be nothing but seen as betrayal and fuel their anger.

"There's always harm when there's a mermaid hunter around," Terry muttered. It seemed like it was true. As ever since Rikki started dating Zane, it seemed he only got closer and closer to their secret. Though he knew it was only a coincidence since he found out mermaids existed before they started going out.

"You didn't care about disappointing me. You were only looking out for yourself," Zane huffed. Lewis was right, she wanted all the fame and glory.

Zane: "What? I don't believe you."

Dr. Denman: the two start slowly walking away from the café. "There's just fish. And that's all we're doing are population counts. And I'm telling you there's nothing out there." Rikki continues to watch the disagreement.

"She might be a good liar, but that is technically the truth. She didn't believe there were mermaids nor that it was from a mermaid. So, the scale was just from that, a fish. And they were doing population counts," Sam pointed out. "But she did think there was something out there. Otherwise, she wouldn't have kept the sample," Max commented.

"What are you doing?" Terry asked his daughter. "I was heading home when I saw those too. My boyfriend and my enemy talking to one another. Of course, it would gain my curiosity," Rikki shrugged.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Zane lies on a float on his back, floating about in the swimming pool of his backyard trying his best to relax. Harrison walks over to the side of the pool, carrying his briefcase with him.]

Harrison: "Right. I'm off. Afternoon consult. While you're there lounging around, how about you clean the pool?" Zane leans up slightly, looking over at his dad. "Do something useful for a change." Walks away from the pool and leaves.

"The pool looks clean to me," Neil frowned at the way Harrison spoke to his son. Guess he still hasn't changed, huh? "Nothing is complete to my dad, or the old him at least," Zane said, glancing at his dad after he spoke the last part.

"I see you still haven't learned how to talk to him properly," Terry crossed his arms. Harrison glanced down at the remark.

"Shouldn't that be something that Candy could do? What happened to her?" Bella asked. "The only doing that snob knows how to do is use a phone and try to hide every wrinkle behind makeup," Zane scoffed. "Candy and I were at a, uh, bit of disagreement with things at the time," Harrison commented. It was around this time that they had arguments almost every other day. It only got worse when Harrison dropped out of the deal with Denman. It was after that Harrison decided it was best to part ways.

Harrison was then reminded of where this afternoon's consult was actually taking place. With Dr. Denman on her boat, for the population reports. Instead, that 'consult' took a drastic turn for either the better or the worst, depending on which perspective you looked at it from. Really, when he thought about it, it was for the worst. But it did come out better with his relationship with his son.

"I needed to relax after the conversation with her," Zane said, nodding his head in Denman's direction. "Kids need some relaxation too," Lisa said. "Emma used to relax so much by swimming. I'm sure she still does." "That's right, mom," Emma smiled brightly.

[Zane turns over out of the float and swims over to the ledge. Zane pulls himself up and out of the pool, then walks over to the sun lounge and grabs his towel to dry himself off. Rikki comes around the corner and smiles at him.]

Rikki: walks over to him, taking her sunglasses off. "Hey."

Zane: drying his hair. "Hey."

Rikki: "I saw you talking to the marine biologist today."

"You didn't find it suspicious that she knew who Denman was?" Ash asked. "Not really. If you do your research, which I know Rikki does when needed, you'll know who she is ... as long as you can find a picture at least. But Rikki had also brought up the marine biologist before, so it was understandable that she knew who Dr. Denman was," Zane explained with a shrug. "Eh, fair enough."

Zane: smirks. "Jealous?"

"What's there to be jealous of? It's between a crazy geek or a rebellious teenage mermaid. How hard could it be to choose?" Kim scoffed. "Well to be fair, I didn't know Rikki was a mermaid at the time," Zane grinned. "Don't push your buttons, Bennett," Rikki warned.

Rikki: grins and shakes her head. "No, just curious."

Zane: smiles. "She's conducting research. Counting fish. That sort of thing. Nothing interesting." Turns around and goes back to towel-drying his hair.

"I wish that was all," Rikki mumbled and sighed as she knew what was about to happen.

"Yet it's very interesting to every nerd there is on this planet," Kim remarked.

Rikki: "Really? I heard she was onto something big."

"Why, why, why would you say that?" Emma asked, waving to the screen. "Rikki! What were you thinking?!" Cleo asked, wide-eyed. "I know. It was incredibly stupid. I don't know what I was thinking. I just spoke before I even thought about it, by then it was too late," Rikki winced.

"The tough and brave mermaid Rikki makes a mistake. It's starting to add up, now," Lewis smiled smugly before it dropped when Rikki glared at him. "Oh, like you haven't screwed up a few times."

"I think you all made mistakes this episode: Lewis with the heart drawing and Cleo's scale on Mako, Emma with her family vacation, and now Rikki with unfortunate leaked information," Charlotte informed. And that's not even all of it, going back to Mako was our biggest mistake. And that was all my fault, Emma thought. "Yes, thank you for clarifying that," Rikki rolled her eyes. "Look, it was a big mistake, and I regretted it immediately. And for that, I apologize." "You're forgiven, mainly because you're not the only one who screwed up. We've all taken part in what caused our little 'problem,'" Emma told her, whispering the last part.

Zane: whips around and stares at her confused. "What? She told me she didn't find anything. She told me she was just counting boring fish. What have you heard?"

"Yup. Big mistake," Kim winced, popping the p.

"Yeah, she's been telling that lie to quite a lot of people lately," Lewis said.

"How would she know if she was onto something big? It could've been a lie ... hypothetically," Will said after seeing Rikki's glare turn onto him. "Because she had no reason to lie to me, I thought," Zane admitted.

Rikki: eyes widen slightly, shakes her head in denial as she realized her mistake. "Um, I could be wrong. In fact, I probably am. Just forget about it."

"Too late for takesie – backsies," Elliot said.

"A little late for that, Rikki," Lewis shook his head.

"How could I forget about everything you just said?" Zane exclaimed.

Zane: smiles wide. "I knew it. She's trying to rip me off. She knows something about the mermaid." Points at her before he turns and begins to walk off.

"Why do you always lead everything back to the mermaid?" Emma rolled her eyes. "Because it was the only thing I could think about, thank you very much. And everything did lead back to the mermaid," Zane spat. "And it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't caught you," he said a little smug. "Don't remind me," Emma sighed.

"Hmm, first Lewis. Now you. Who's next on the rip-off list?" Ash looked around. "If you don't cut it out, it might be you," Kim said, a little annoyed.

Rikki: sighs and calls out to him, making him stop. "Oh, Zane." Throws her hands to her side, clearly irritated and worried. "Why can't you just let that go?"

Zane: "Because it's real, Rikki. That's why."

"Real to you, and secretly to her. But not to others," Max reminded.

"This is the part where seeing is literally believing in this case," Mrs. Chatham chuckled.

"And yet he was telling the truth the entire time," Harrison lightly chuckled at the reminder.

Rikki: "Well, it's getting old, and I'm sick of hearing about it. Why can't you find something more useful to do with your time?"

"Ooph, bad choice of words," Lewis grimaced.

"You sound just like me," Harrison said, a little surprised. "Wasn't intentional. Just real coincidental," Rikki replied. "Great, now I need to scrub my mouth out. Anybody got any soap?" "Hah hah," Zane laughed in a deadpanned tone, but smiled, nonetheless. "Like father, like son's girlfriend ... that's a weird saying," Ash scrunched his nose as it slipped from his mouth.

Zane: shakes his head in disbelief, getting angry. "You know, you are exactly like my father." Rikki looks offended. "Nobody ever believes me."

Rikki: "Maybe there's a reason for that."

"And today we're playing, 'How Low Can You Go?' Rikki seems to be in the lead at the moment, with Emma coming in a close second," Ash shouted out like a game-show host. "Is there any more of that wishing potion? I would love to wish for some duct tape," Rikki whispered to Cleo who shook her head. "Bummer."

Terry scowled, not liking his daughter being yelled at. She had a good reason why that conversation needed to be silenced. A reason that could cost her her life if a certain someone, ahem, Denman were to find out. He's given Zane several chances and he might've done both good and bad things in his relationship with Rikki, but he's starting to reach for the last straw.

Zane: smile falls. "I think you should go."

Rikki: "Zane."

Zane: "Just leave. I don't want to see you right now." Zane walks off, leaving behind a sad Rikki.

"And yet you were the one to leave," Terry grinned in amusement. Though he felt bad for his daughter, it was nice seeing Zane being the one to give up first.

"Where were you going?" Neil asked, afraid he might know what the answer is. And yet when Zane told him, a shiver still went up his spine. "I had a scandalous marine biologist to go see," Zane sighed, sounding defeated. He didn't like arguing with Rikki. But his determination got the best of him. Hearing Rikki talk just like everyone else did, who put him down, taunted him, and gave him disapproving looks, believing he was going crazy. All because he believed in something that was supposed to be a myth? Something that was actually real?

he others he got used to, especially from his dad, but coming from his girlfriend; the one person who he thought was going to support him unconditionally, hurt just as bad as a broken heart. But seeing the heartbroken look on Rikki's face once she found out he participated in Denman's plans, and that her secret was blown, hurt worse more than anything.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[The mermaid club gathers in Emma's bedroom to discuss the Denman situation further. Cleo and Rikki sit on the bed as Emma walks around the room giving the load down of what's happened so far. Rikki stares off into the distance, too distracted by her argument with Zane to focus. Lewis peaks out into the hallway to make sure no one, such as an angry Elliot, could barge in or listen to this important conversation.]

Emma: "Dr. Denman is definitely up to something. She told two different things to Lewis and Zane. She's obviously lying to one of them." Lewis shuts the door back.

"You knew she was up to something the moment she walked out of the café. Why are you just now having this conversation?" Bella asked. "Because we needed it somewhere more private and this was the only time," Emma answered. "Okay, so why did it have to wait till after Rikki talked to Zane?" "Because it was on the way to Emma's and I wanted to find out what they talked about," Rikki responded. I didn't know it was going to lead to an argument.

"It's obvious she lied to Zane. How could what she told Lewis be a lie when she described the moonpool and the scale perfectly? And then Zane's story was the complete opposite, she refused to give him any information," Sam commented. "... why didn't I think of that?" Emma said with a pained expression, looking like she wanted to slap herself.

"It's also obvious that she favored Lewis more over Zane. But probably because she benefited from Lewis more than she did Zane," Max mentioned, noticing the parallels. "Well, she probably wanted to gain Lewis's favor by telling him that information because he also had information that she needed, which he still refused to tell. But Zane did help her out a lot by telling her the location to look for; if it weren't for him, they probably would've never found the moonpool or the sample," Annette said, earning Zane a lot more glares his way. "Thanks for that," Zane mumbled, shifting uncomfortably under all the cold gazes pointed at him. "Sorry," Annette grimaced. But if he did end up causing them to get caught, she'll take it all back.

"Another reason could be trust. She didn't trust Zane that much, and the crazy mermaid rumors didn't help," Terry thought as he continued to glare at Zane. "I'd of probably done the same thing." He's right, Denman thought with a slight nod.

Cleo: "I knew she was trouble. She's going to catch us and study us like freaks."

Emma: "Cleo." Emma paces around the room as Cleo continues to rant. Rikki continues to stare off sadly into space.

Cleo: "Put us in a tank and see if we can talk to fish. Probably squid. I hate squid."

Emma: gives her a look. "Cleo."

"You're rambling again," Kim laughed lightly, regardless of the situation. "Sorry, it happens when I'm nervous," Cleo hugged herself. "We noticed," her friends and family said.

Cleo: "Cut us up into tiny bits and pieces and put us in a glass jar."

"You really don't know when to stop do you?" Will chuckled. "Clearly, if she doesn't when we have to say her name three times," Emma huffed. "I said sorry," Cleo squirmed.

"Thanks for the imagery," Lisa said, rubbing her arms due to her nerves as she thought of Emma being in all of those situations. She had to constantly remind herself that this was in the past. And it didn't happen. It couldn't have happened, because Emma was with them. Right here, right now.

"You've thought quite a bit on this, haven't you?" Annette asked in amusement. "I tend to be a bit of an overthinker," Cleo rubbed the back of her neck. "Ya think?" the whole room erupted. "It's okay. Charlotte does too on occasion," Annette chuckled as Charlotte gave her a look. "Mom!"

Emma: "Cleo, zip it."

Cleo: mumbles. "Sorry."

"Bout time," Kim sighed. She didn't want to have to hear any more of what could have happened to her sister.

Emma: sighs then looks over at the other blonde, who was silent throughout the whole thing. "You ok, Rikki?"

Rikki: jumps slightly before looking over at her other friends, who were all looking toward her. "Me?" Nods. "Yeah."

Cleo: "I know. It's really upsetting." Rikki goes back to staring off into space, wrapped up in her thoughts once more.

"You didn't tell them about the argument, did you?" Terry realized. "No, she did not," Emma sighed. "In her defense though, we really didn't give her a chance to tell us," Cleo confessed. "Once I told them what Zane told me about Denman, the conversation took a turn real quick, and I never really got to bring up the rest, as you can see," Rikki said as she gestured to the screen. "So, I just decided to wait till later."

"I think she's more upset by the argument than Denman snooping around, Cleo," Don informed. He'd be too if that was Cleo in Rikki's situation. "It was more like both," Rikki waved her hand from side to side.

Emma: "Look, we need to find out exactly what Dr. Denman knows. And I think I know where to start." Rikki looks back at her. The three mermaids then look over to Lewis, who was still on door duty, as he looks in surprise, knowing what she meant.

"Don't tell me," Lisa shook her head in worry as she too knew what Emma meant. "You're going back to Mako?" Neil finished the question for her, eyes wide. Emma didn't speak, only a nod in response. And that was my biggest mistake thus far. For suggesting the idea of us going. If we hadn't, they never would have gotten those pictures. The evidence that Zane needed to show to the world, to his dad, that we were real.

"We wanted to get one step ahead. So, we could be prepared," Cleo admitted, glancing down. It only backfired on us. Then we became several steps behind.

"Oh, gosh. Please no. No, no, no, no," Bev murmured to herself and shook her head, begging that her daughter didn't get into any more danger. That Linda didn't do anything to her daughter. That nothing will happen to these girls, even though her gut feeling was telling her otherwise. Tears began to build up at those terrible thoughts. It felt like things were only getting worse and worse by the minute.

"I think that's a bad idea. A really really bad idea," Kim noted, her eyes wide with fear.

"You wanted to go to Mako to find out what she knows? What kind of logic is that? She knew where the moonpool was and could go back there at any time. She could have even been there when you showed up! It's a terrible idea!" Ash exclaimed. "He's right. It'd be better for Lewis to check it out, just in case she did happen to be there. It'd be less suspicious of him being there since she knew that he had been there once," Max agreed.

"Again, why didn't I think of that?" Emma huffed as she shook her head. "Because clearly, we lost brain cells after the dance. But we also didn't know that she knew that Lewis had been there, so that wouldn't have helped us much," Rikki remarked.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Zane barges onto Denman's boat, already in interrogation mode as he begins to bombard her with questions. He storms up to her, in a new change of dry clothes.]

Zane: "Ok, so what have you found?"

"I just realized, but how were you able to beat me there? I drove there, and you somehow were able to talk to Rikki, change clothes, and still somehow managed to be faster than me. You don't even have a car!" Harrison whispered to his son. "I know a shortcut that cuts the time down a lot when you can't drive ... also helped that I cut through a lot of people's yards," Zane grinned as he whispered back.

"Looks like manners are off the table once again. Didn't even knock or said hello," Annette shook her head. "There wasn't even a door!" Zane exclaimed. "Still, you can knock."

Dr. Denman: at her scope, looking up at him. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Still going with that lie, huh?" Lewis raised an eyebrow. "To be fair, she also could've not known what he was talking about, since it would be a little troublesome to understand what he meant. Unless she somehow knew about the fight with Rikki," Sam reasoned. "Alright, but that still doesn't help," Lewis shrugged in defeat.

Zane: "I've heard you've got something big, and I want to know what."

Dr. Denman: "And who told you that?"

Rikki tightened her grip on her crossed arms. Zane wouldn't have given her away, would he?

Terry leaned forward in his seat, prepared to defend his daughter, and possibly stop the twerp who hurt his daughter.

Zane: points to himself, smirking. "I know everything in this town."

Rikki let out of breath, relieved to know that Zane didn't rat her out. They might've fought a few minutes beforehand, but he still cared for her. This proves it. That and him also telling her about the pictures and saving them from becoming science experiments.

Terry fell back into his seat, letting out his own breath of relief as well. Even though they argued, he was still loyal to Rikki. Let's hope it stays that way.

[Right then, Harrison climbs onto the boat, voicing his opinion behind Zane.]

Harrison: "I don't think so."

Zane: turns around and looks at his dad in surprise and confusion. "Dad?"

"H-harrison?" Neil asked in surprise, all eyes turning to his old friend. "What are you doing there?" Lisa asked, a frown appearing on her face as she once more grabbed her husband's arm, which was extremely tense from Harrison's meeting with Denman.

Harrison sighed as he rubbed his face. I'm not going to be able to avoid it forever. "I mentioned before that she was doing work for me. So, it would make sense for me to go meet with her as well. I just wasn't expecting him to be there too," he admitted, a little quietly. "I suppose," Neil narrowed his eyes. Zane met his dad's eyes and nodded ever so slowly. A sign that he was going to be with him no matter what. That he wasn't alone. Because he wasn't the only one who screwed up. They were going to face this soon-to-be madness together; like father, like son.

"She's supposed to be working for you, but instead she was focusing her work on something else," Don scowled.

But Neil continued to stare at Harrison, as the gears in his head began to spin. His heart which felt confused, slowly grew into one full of fear as a horrible thought, or theory began to form. Emma had said that Denman had done something to them. But she couldn't have done it alone. Could, could Harrison also be involved? Did he hurt my Emma? My daughter? His fist began to shake, and Lisa had to hold onto his hand to calm him down.

Meanwhile, Bev began to come to the same conclusion, as she too believed that if Linda did do something, she couldn't have acted alone. Cleo hid this secret for a long time, so it wouldn't be a shock that she hid something like this as well. But still, it's so shocking, so terrifying. So awful to know that Cleo was in danger, had been in danger, and I wasn't there to help her out. To save her. And I still am. Bev put a hand up to her mouth to prevent any sobs from escaping. I'm a terrible mother!

Rikki, Cleo, and Emma look at one another and take a deep breath. This was it, the moment of truth. Something they didn't want anybody to find out, something they didn't want to relive again. But, like always, they have no other choice. It's time to face their fears once more and watch as both the truth onscreen and their parents begin to break things down. They weren't sure what was going to hurt more; watching it happen all over again. Or having to see their parents suffer, see what they've been through, and the betrayal of one of their own.

Dr. Denman: smiles at him. "Good afternoon, Dr. Bennett."

Zane: points at both Denman and Harrison, glancing back and forth. "Wait. You two know each other?"

"A little slow on the uptake, aren't you Zane?" Lewis mocked. "Says the one who accidentally revealed to Denman that you were at Mako," Zane shot back. "Not much of an argument there," Ash frowned. "I didn't know what else to say," Zane admitted, causing Lewis to grin in amusement.

Harrison: "What are you doing here, Zane?"

"Shouldn't he be asking you that?" Elliot asked. "I asked it first," Harrison muttered. "'How old are you, ten?'" Zane grinned, reminded of the remark Rikki gave him so long ago.

"Surprised you didn't know, then again why should I be? You don't seem like you keep tabs on your kid," Terry shook his head.

Zane: shakes his head in bewilderment. "What are you doing here?"

"Great it's the hotel lobby convention all over again," Rikki chuckled, rolling her eyes.

"See?" Elliot smiled, making Emma smile back at him. His parents were too preoccupied with the horror movie they were seeing on the screen.

Harrison: "Business. Now why don't you run along? Find something ... expensive to do."

"Somehow I got a feeling he refuses to go," Neil muttered under his breath. "I'm afraid you might be right," Lisa whispered to him, having heard his mutter.

"I already do that enough," Zane joked, trying to ease the ever-growing tension, which didn't work.

"Blowing him off once more. Again, why am I not surprised?" Terry frowned. It's like work is more important to him than his own son. Won't even give him a chance.

Zane: points back to Denman, who went back to her work with another one of her assistants looking at the content of one of the cases. "Wait." Walks closer to his dad, getting angrier by the second. "I gave her a solid lead, and she knows something."

"She does, she just doesn't know what it is," Ash pointed out. And thank God for that, Bella thought.

"Your definition of something is very different compared to hers," Max said, a grim look on his face. He had a feeling he knew where this was going. And no, it was definitely, most absolutely, not a good thing.

Harrison: pulls him to the side, lowering his volume. "Let's get this straight. I have been funding Dr. Denman for an environmental impact study. Now, I know you've had your problems with it, but the development on Mako Island is going ahead –."

Zane: shakes his head. "No."

Harrison: "Whether you like it or not."

The room fills up with gasps, and then the anger sinks in. "No," Charlotte gasped. The place grandmother liked ... he's going to ruin it all!

"You mean to tell me this is all so you could put up that stupid resort on Mako?!" Neil snapped. Harrison only remorsefully nodded his head in response. "Unbelievable," Neil remarked, running a hand through his hair in distress as he heaved out a big sigh.

"Well, at least he wasn't lying about hiring her for a project," Don said, trying to see the bright side of things. It wasn't working though, as it only angered Sam more.

"All of this! All of this just so you could build that toxic destruction of nature! For some money you don't even need! Have you not learned your lesson the first time?" Sam shrieked, outraged by the fact that Harrison would try to find another way to build his money-making resort. "Believe me. I dropped out of it once I got some sense knocked into me," Harrison said, holding his hands up. But the guilty look was still etched into every inch of his face. "Can I knock it into you?" Emma glared once she heard that Harrison wanted to continue his destructive project. It would've ruined Mako! "You're not the only one," Cleo mumbled as she also glared; Rikki shook her head at him in disappointment.

"Well good. And I'm going to make sure it never happens again. Because once I get back, I'm going to get Mako Island marked as an endangered island, so that no greedy person like you can ever hurt it again," Sam huffed, declaring her promise to the whole room. "And I won't stop you," Harrison promised. Neither will I, Denman wanted to say, but it felt like her voice wasn't working, as it shook too much from fear of the unfortunate 'future' they were soon to see. "I like her," Rikki grinned. "She kind of reminds me of Emma. She's certainly got her fire," Cleo nodded her head at Sam. "Don't you mean ice?" Rikki teased.

Zane: "This is bigger than that." Glances over at Denman and then whispers back to him. "She's getting close to the mermaid."

Harrison: "Zane." Glances back at the crew, making sure that no one overhears them. "This has nothing to do with you and your crazy ideas." Harrison leaves him and walks over to Denman and her crew. Zane stares afar off, upset that his father still didn't believe him.

"Now you're sounding crazier than ever," Will commented. "Says the mermaid-lover," Zane countered. "Better," Ash gave him a thumbs up.

"Your psycho meter is full," Kim called out.

"Can you chill with the mermaid talk?" Emma huffed. Rikki giggled beside her. "What?" "... chill?" Rikki burst into laughter with Cleo. Emma narrowed her eyes at them but couldn't help the small grin that came after.

"Still don't believe him, huh?" Terry scoffed. "If Rikki came up to you and told you that she was a mermaid, or that mermaids existed, would you have believed her?" Harrison raised an eyebrow, his head in his hand. "Fair point," Terry tilted his head. He loved his daughter, but if she did something similar to what the young Bennett boy did, he probably would've assumed she was crazy too. And that would have been way before he found out all of this stuff was real.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Meanwhile, out in the ocean, and heading straight for Mako, the girls swim swiftly as they could. As they got closer to Mako, they slowed down to swim carefully through the many reefs. They head straight for the underwater entrance of the moonpool, with Cleo taking the lead. Soon after, Rikki follows behind as they all unknowingly pass by an underwater camera, which was pointed directly at the moonpool entrance, and pointed right at them. The camera senses the motion as they get in its direct line of sight, and snaps the picture of Cleo and Rikki, with their backs turned to the camera, swimming into the moonpool. Their orange tails in full view.]

The girls look down and hold hands as once more, gasps fill the room. Even louder than last time, with a few screams which came from the two mothers of the mermaids. The moment they were afraid to relive the most, has finally descended upon them. They couldn't avoid it, just like they couldn't avoid the mess of emotions they felt right now.

Aside from the heavy breathing and sobbing from a few, aka the parents, it was deadly silent as everyone let the shocking revelation sink in. They were caught. There was now picture proof of their existence with no way of being able to destroy it. Because as was explained earlier, it was connected to Denman's monitor. And according to the green camera with the same-colored blinking lights next to it, meant that it was being sent on its way, right now. By the time they found out and could get ahold of it ... it would be too late. Their secret was out.

Rikki broke that silence with a deep sigh. "We told you. Being a mermaid has both its pros and cons. This, this is one of them," Rikki spoke quietly with a small sad smile. "Rikki ..." Terry breathed out, as he saw the tears glimmer from the light on the edge of her eyes. Before she could say anything else, Terry threw his arms around her in a big hug. Rikki, shocked for a second, quickly hugged back, not wanting to let go. Afraid that she might not be able to hug him again. If something like before were to happen ever again and they couldn't escape.

She couldn't always be tough. She might be a mermaid with awesome butt-kicking powers, but it didn't mean she had to be brave all the time. Sometimes she needed to let loose. Like now, as the tears silently fell down onto her dad's shoulder.

Terry let her cry. It's not often that she lets her fears show. It's not often that she cries, that she's the one to break first. And it's certainly not often that she admits it. So, he lets her, while Terry tries his best not to cry himself. How could he not? Rikki, a mermaid for almost four months so far, had kept it a secret from everyone, including him. Only a select few knew, such as Lewis and Mrs. Chatham. They knew the dangers it could bring, the risk it would take, and the hunger most people would have for what they would only see as fame and fortune if they were to ever get their hands on them.

And now, because of some stupid underwater camera, it was going to ruin it all? It was going to risk his daughter getting taken away? How could he not cry? But he didn't. Rikki didn't need him to break down either. Because Rikki needed him to be brave, as her walls began to crack. So, he continued to fight back the tears. For her.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no. No, no, no. No! No! No!" Bev sobbed, tears breaking free as they flew down her reddened cheeks. Don grabbed her gently and pulled her into a hug, his mouth hung open, stunned, as a few tears also escaped. He didn't care about the divorce, he didn't care how much he didn't make her happy. He didn't care how angry he still was about the whole thing. At that moment, she needed him. They needed each other ... their daughter needed them.

So, while Bev, who also didn't think about their ex-relationship, sobbed into his shoulder as he patted her back, his other hand rested on Cleo's shoulder, which she gratefully accepted. Not looking at her parents, she faced the screen, fighting her own battle with tears. Whether from the picture or her parents' sudden comfort in one another; she wasn't sure what was worse.

Kim's whole body is shaking as she too began to cry for her sister. "Y-y-you didn't see the camera. Why-why didn't you see the camera? It was right there! You swam past it, it was right next to you! And you didn't see it?! Dang it, Cleo! Why did you have to go there?!" she shouted from the top of her lungs as she hugged her dad's side since his hands were occupied with his other daughter and her mom. It didn't matter though. They needed him more. "We-we were only going to check on the place. We didn't know it would be there. It was hidden from ou – our view," Cleo stuttered out, too in shock to have to see it for herself.

"We swam through there a thousand times. We know every reef and coral around there, and yet we still somehow didn't spot it," Emma admitted before she sighed. "It was all my fault. If I hadn't suggested we go check it out for ourselves and drove a boat to Mako instead of swam, this never would have happened." "You don't know that," Ash spoke softly, a downfallen look on his face.

"Oh Emma," her mother choked out, her hand flung to her mouth, holding back her own sobs.

Neil's breathing began to get heavy, as the temperature in the room felt like it was burning up to him. He glanced around the room with a watery gaze, looking at Emma, Denman, Harrison, Zane. Emma, the girls, Denman, Harrison, Zane. Emma, the girls, Mrs. Chatham, Harrison, Denman. Emma. Denman. Emma. Denman. Emma ... this, was it. What Emma had warned them about before, about why she decided not to tell them the secret. Because of this exact moment, that was going to go down. He knew it involved Denman. He had a feeling Zane was involved somehow due to his insistent hunting of the mermaid. And now he's finding out that an old family friend of theirs is most likely involved too. Harrison Bennett.

Now that he was beginning to understand how it happened; now the question is. What's going to happen?

"Emma?" Elliot spoke quietly, stunned in silence that they were caught. A pout began to form, and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion and sadness. This wasn't cool or anything like when they first became mermaids. It's like reality was starting to sink in, and it was terrifying. I, I argued with her that day. And she's now in danger. She was worried and needed help and I was angry with her, all because of our family holiday. It's just a stupid holiday and I got upset over that, instead of comforting or trying to help my sister. What kind of brother does that? She wasn't being selfish ... I was. All she was trying to do was protect their secret and her friends. And now, because of that, she's about to be in big trouble.

Sam stared at the screen, perplexed. Screw the resort plans, just how are they going to get out of this mess?

"No," Charlotte barely whispered, her eyes wide as she covered her mouth. Will's eyes widened in fear. The other teenagers began to look around wildly in the room, questioning and trying to process what just happened. With how long they were able to keep the secret, it was wrecked in one second because of some fancy technology? They couldn't believe it.

Instead of looking over at the girls like most of them did, Max watched his old friend that was right by his side. Yes, he did spare the girls a look, and from the looks of it, they'd rather not have all eyes on them. So, his sight, his worried emotions, was set on Louise Chatham. The elder woman glanced back at him, though her smile said she was fine, her glistening eyes said a whole other story. He didn't know what to say. He was right about the cameras.

Fifty years ago, they had to deal with Karl. Now, fifty years later in the somewhat present time, it was happening all over again. And the stakes were even higher this time. Because their 'Karl' wasn't working alone anymore. Their 'Karl' wasn't a rich teenage bad boy. It was a young, manipulative, and very intelligent scientist. But what was strange, the scientist he's been seeing onscreen and the one he was sitting next to seemed like two very different people. As if she had a complete flip in her manipulative personality. What changed? How did it happen? And why?

Those questions weren't important at the moment, as he sighed and laid a hand on his friend's arm in support, to let her know she wasn't alone. One that Mrs. Chatham was very grateful for because she needed the support all that she can for what was to come. It was always hard seeing their adventures. Even though they haven't had any like some of theirs, nor were they ever captured by scientists, she couldn't help but imagine her and her friends in their scenarios. And one upcoming one in particular. She kept thinking about her, Gracie, and Julia somehow behind bars, being threatened by scientists, and so much more. She had to remind herself that it never happened to them, and never will. The girls needed her to focus, they needed her more right now than anything.

Bella's lip quivered and her eyes were wide in fear. They, they were caught? All because of one measly camera? A picture of them, with tails? Bella began to take quick breaths as she thought more of it. What's gonna happen now? What did they do? Wh-what would I do if I were them? I was alone in this, they had each other. There had to be a way for them to get out of this ... oh gosh, what if I got my picture taken? What if Denman saw it too? Would I get taken to a government facility? Get declared a danger to the public? Taken away from my family? Torture me to get some answers or just for fun? Force me to work for them? Brainwash –?

Bella quickly pinched herself, trying to focus on the pain more than her own thoughts. As a way to remind herself that none of that has happened, or ever will happen as long as she had help. She had her parents and her new friends now. And Mrs. Chatham. She wasn't alone in this anymore. They've all had their ups and downs in adventures. And now she needed to see how they got out, so if she were ever to get in this situation, she would know what to do.

So, she took some deep calming breaths and settled back down in her seat. Unlike most of the others, who were shifting uncomfortably in their seats. Not like they'd be able to get comfy after that shocking twist. Some of them chose to stay where they were. Like Don who remained holding on to an upset Bev and Kim, with Cleo in front of them, arms crossed and determined eyes. And the Chadwick's where Terry kept his arm wrapped around a puffy-eyed Rikki's shoulder. Her tears were gone, but the red cheeks remained for now. Or the Gilbert's who remained close to one another, and they all looked back to the screen, hoping to stop this as soon as possible.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Back on the lab boat, Harrison walks over to Denman.]

Harrison: "Sorry about that. My son has some pretty fanciful ideas. Ignore him." They glance at him, as he messes with more scientific gadgets.

"Just like you always did," Rikki mumbled as she laid her head on her dad's shoulder.

"Fanciful ideas that are in fact very real," Max commented to no one in particular. As you're about to find out soon.

No one was really in the mood to talk. Not after the emotional, heartbreaking reveal just moments ago. Everyone was too on edge about just what was going to happen next to these special girls.

Harrison: "Now, I hope your results are proving favorable." Zane listens in, glancing over his shoulder at them.

Dr. Denman: nods. "Mm-hmm. Everything's pretty much as we expected. Although I did find something curious." Nearby, the monitor gets the signal from their underwater camera and begins to beep as it slowly downloads the picture, pixel by pixel. Greg, who happened to be close enough to hear the electronic noise, looks over at it and slowly leans in closer as he watches the picture being downloaded onto the monitor. "It's a cell sample I found in the area."

It's like she would tell the truth to anyone else but me, Zane scoffed internally. Guess that's what I get for believing in 'fairytales.'

Lisa sniffed as she held onto her husband tighter as the picture began to download, and Elliot inched closer and closer to Emma. When he was close enough, Emma wrapped an arm around his shoulder in a little side hug.

Harrison: "Really, Zane, this is none of your business." The downloading process makes it halfway, so far only showing the entrance of the moonpool ... and a tail.

Dr. Denman: "I'm not sure what it came from, but I found it on Mako Island."

The room remains quiet, except for a few sobs and sniffles here and there, as expected from the mothers of the mermaids. Their fathers' hold tightened at the sight of the truth coming to light to the last people on earth that needed to know.

"Even without touching Mako Island, just the camera's being there is destroying the nature of it all," Sam said sadly, feeling so bad for the girls. She wasn't sure how she would feel if her secrets were exposed over a photo. And these girls didn't even know yet!

Stalker much? Kim glared at the screen before it switched to a soft gaze at her sister, the sister who had to go through this without them even knowing.

"At least she finally answered one of my questions truthfully," Zane muttered to himself before looking over to his dad. "You know, it was none of your business either." "I was the one funding her though, so it was my business. And my fault," Harrison said with a heavily guilty expression.

Greg: as the picture was nearing completion, he sees the large orange tails, and the human bodies it was connected to. He straightens up, looking at it in confusion and disbelief. Unsure of what to do, he calls over the marine biologist. "Um, Dr. Denman?" The scientist turns to him at the call of her name. Harrison looks over as well. "You might want to take a look at this." Denman walks over, with Harrison following her. And what she sees is not something she ever would've expected. Neither of them would. Their eyes widen at the almost fully downloaded picture, having the same reaction as Greg did a second ago: confused, shocked, questioning themselves if this was real or not. Zane rushes over and shoves himself in between Greg and Harrison. He watches as the picture comes to a complete download. There, on the monitor, in front of all four of them, was a picture of two orange-scaled mermaids (Rikki and Cleo) swimming into the underwater entrance of the moonpool, with their backs facing the camera; still, the large orange tails were a dead giveaway as to what they were: mermaids.

Zane: "I knew it." Points at the camera, a tad aggressive as the others, including his own dad, staring at the picture in shocking disbelief. "How's that for an observable fact?" Denman shakes her head, her eye's widening more as her mouth opens slightly.

"But-but you weren't in the picture, Emma. You were safe," Elliot said, a little hopeful. That hope died the moment he saw his sad sister's eyes meeting his. "It doesn't matter, El. They were in the picture. We were in this together, and we were in danger together." Besides, the second picture confirmed it all according to Lewis. Just how the heck did we miss a camera that was in front of our faces?

"On the bright side, I think this is the quietest she's ever been," Lewis whispered to Cleo, as he gestured to the Denman onscreen in hopes to make Cleo smile again. Sadly, it did not. Cleo shook her head at him and bit her cheek, whispering back. "Not the time, Lewis."

Neil let out a breath. Not of relief, not of happiness, sadness, or anger. But of disappointment. Maybe a bit of anger ... okay quite a bit of anger, but the disappointment was on a much larger scale (pun not intended ... unintentionally). I was right. So, Harrison was involved. My old friend betrayed me and my family. But how? He did something. And I want to know. I need to know what he did.

But what worried Lisa more was not what he did, but what he might've planned to do. Obviously, something had to go wrong, otherwise, their girls wouldn't be here right now. Not to mention the whole world still believed that mermaids don't exist. And it was known this was still in the past. So, what was the plan? She knew what Harrison was like. It's the way he always was, always has been until recently when he suddenly changed his personality like it was overnight several months ago. Now that she thought of it, that must've been when it happened, which is happening onscreen right now. He was greedy, selfish, arrogant, and hungry for fame and fortune. Just like the marine biologist was. And that kind of greed could lead to all sorts of terrible ideas. And that's what scared her most.

Don had to let go of Cleo's shoulder, only momentarily, to release his anger by clenching his fist and jaw. Harrison knew. Harrison knew! And he didn't say anything?! His sad look turned into a deadly glare, both at the screen and the one thought of in the room.

"Not so hard to believe now, is it?" Charlotte asked with a cocky attitude, her scowl still shining on her face.

Denman closed her eyes in shame, her nails leaving marks in the palm of her hands. She fought the tears, she refused to cry. She didn't deserve to. If the others saw her cry, they would try to break her more. Not like that was going to stop them anyways. That she deserved.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[As the three nonbelievers were getting over their frozen state of shock, on Mako Island, the three girls break the surface of the moonpool and look around. They grab onto the rocky ledge. Cleo stares in worry at the large, heavy, flipper prints that lay all over the sandy ground of the cave.]

Cleo: "She's been here. That woman has been here."

"Glad you noticed. Now get out!" Kim said, shouting the last part. She didn't want her to stay too long, terrified that Denman might come and get them. Cleo sent her a grateful, yet sad glance her way.

Rikki: by Cleo's side. Emma on the other. "This is dangerous. She's too close. We can't come here anymore." Looks at the others. "Not now."

"She's a lot closer than you think now," Ash frowned.

"Good to know you've finally come to your senses," Annette mumbled, her arms crossed. She was worried for the girls too, but she thought it crazy for them to go to Mako Island, knowing full well that she's been out there too. Even if she didn't have the cameras, if she would've been diving nearby and seen them ... it would be a whole lot worse than just a picture.

Cleo: frowns as Emma and Rikki appear sad. "But ... this is our place. Our special place."

"And it always will be. We just had to have a little break from it for a little while," Emma told her. "Yeah, that break didn't last very long," Rikki snorted, her mood a bit better for the moment. We were back there the very next day.

Rikki: shakes her head. "Not anymore."

Emma: silent, then nods her head in agreement, even if she didn't seem to like it. "Rikki's right. We have to keep a low profile. That means total lockdown."

"Yeah, I think that low profile is off the rails," Will remarked, no sarcasm behind it.

That low profile is fixing to skyrocket when that second picture comes around, Zane thought. He had seen the second picture not long after he had found out who the mermaids were; aka his girlfriend and friends.

Cleo: "So no more coming here? No more swimming with the dolphins? No more midnight swims?"

"Wait. You went out swimming at midnight? That's past your bedtime!" Don paused, as he looked over at her. "Not the point, dad. Besides, my bedtime is at eleven. And that's only during school nights. We only did it on weekends," Cleo defended herself. "That would explain why you woke up later on weekends," Bev sniffled as she wiped her eyes, still in tears. "No, every kid loves to sleep in," Ash grinned. "I sure did."

"I could do without the dolphin swims," Charlotte mumbled.

Emma: shakes her head. "Nothing. No mermaids."

"No mermaids," Will repeated, his mouth ajar slightly. He couldn't think of a time when they weren't mermaids. There might have been some cons, but he could tell that they had the time of their lives being who they were, and who they were meant to be. They enjoyed the adventures together. And he enjoyed the powers, the swimming, and the smiles on their faces as they did so. He couldn't imagine them having to go without it for such a long time.

Bella felt down. Like her whole world was getting crushed and that a part of her felt empty. She couldn't imagine being a mermaid, and unable to swim or use her powers or anything of the sort. She couldn't imagine being a mermaid and trying not to be a mermaid. "It's like the beginning all over again, when I tried to ignore the fact that I was a mermaid," Cleo let out a watery chuckle like she was somehow able to read Bella's thoughts.

Cleo: shrugs. "For how long?"

Emma: hesitates, getting upset about the solution. "As long as we have to, ok?"

Rikki: nods. "Ok."

Cleo: soon after, she follows with a nod. "Ok." They all share a sad look of agreement. We then get a shot of Mako Island itself.

Well, they were smart about it, Harrison sighed, rubbing his forehead. If only we didn't get the pictures, then we wouldn't have ruined it for them. Their plan would've been perfect. And as soon as Denman would be on her merry way, they could've gone back to their normal mermaid lives. But we destroyed all those hopes and dreams.

"Wait, hold on. If – if the camera was able to get pictures of your tails when you were going in, then – then," Ash theorized, his eyes widening the more he thought of it, unable to finish his statement for the others. Unfortunately, he didn't have to, as Bev understood what he meant. "No. No. Don't. Don't leave. The – the camera. The camera. Don't go! Don't go! No!" Bev wailed, more tears streaming down her face as she buried her head in Don's shoulder again. Because she understood Ash.

If the camera was able to get them going in, their backs turned and tails in full view; then it would be able to get a picture of them on the way out too, with their faces shown clear as day. Even if they did spot the cameras on the way out, it would be far too late. "Take the land entrance! Take the land entrance! No!" Bev went ballistic.

"Oh gosh, please no," Lisa shook her head as she wept into her hands, Neil holding onto her as he stared at the screen in absolute horror as he too understood. Once they leave the moonpool, they will know who the mermaids are.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[No longer a mermaid, Emma walks into her house. Her friends were no longer with her, as they separated ways to go to their own houses, depressed at the thought of not being able to swim or be a mermaid for a while. She shuts the door behind her when she hears her mom call for her in the kitchen.]

Lisa: "Emma." Lisa walks over to the entryway and sees her daughter staring at her in confusion. Lisa gestures for her to come with her, and she begins to walk with her. "Can you come in here, please?"

"It wasn't the time for this. We should've done something. We should've helped you," Lisa said, very upset. "It's okay, mom. I needed this. This made my day better," Emma said, giving her a small smile. "What was it?" Will asked a little quietly. "You'll see," Emma sighed. They all saw, she thought as she glanced over at Harrison and Denman.

Emma: grabs her mom's hand that she held out as her mom pulled her over to the dining room table. "Is everything alright?" By the table, Neil and Elliot leaned against the back of the couch with two chairs pulled out from the table.

Lisa: gestures for her to sit. "Sit, please." Emma sat in the chair as her mother leaned against the table. Emma looks at the other two Gilbert family members in concern.

"Looks like a family meeting," Rikki mumbled quietly. "That's because it is," Emma said, giving her a small amused grin.

Lisa: "Now, we know that you don't want to go to the resort this year." Emma looks down and sneaks a glance over at Elliot, who also had his head down. A grin shows on his face then quickly hides it.

Neil: "But, how would you feel about going someplace different?" Emma gives him a small smile.

"Like what?" Ash asked, curious and silently wondering if it'll be safe for her with the news of mermaid's existence being broken to the scientists. "Let them finish and you'll know," Emma said, with the same smile as shown onscreen.

Will it be safe for her, that is the question. They've already been through enough danger as it is, Bella thought, her heartbeat drumming in her ears.

Elliot: "Someplace really dry?" He smiles at her as he straightens up and hands her a pamphlet. Emma returns the smile as she takes the pamphlet and opens it, looking at the pictures inside of a desert.

Neil: "Like Central Australia."

"The desert? That's the complete opposite of the resort," Sam asked, a little surprised. "That was the idea," Elliot answered, seeing as his parents were too busy clinging to one another in fear to reply. "And a brilliant one at that," Max agreed.

"It'd be perfect for any mermaid," Cleo said, a small grin on her face. "It's a perfect place to actually spend time on a holiday with my family. Without having to worry about a tail popping out in front of everyone," Emma winced as she saw her parents flinch. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to say that.

Emma: jaw drops in excitement. "A holiday smack bang in the middle of the desert?" Neil chuckles at her reaction as her smile grows. "Are you serious?"

Neil: looks at his son. "It was Elliot's idea." Elliot's smile turns smug.

"And there I thought you were mad at me," Emma laughed lightly as she looked at her brother. "I couldn't stay mad at you forever. You'll always be my sister," Elliot said as he gave her a full hug this time, which she gladly returned. She needed it. Even if someone might try taking you away from me, Elliot thought as he sent a glare over at the two doctors in the room. A glare from an eleven-year-old is scarier than it sounds. Not from Elliot though. He could never be scary.

Neil: "Is that a yes?"

Emma: "Yes, it's a yes." Lisa lets out a huge sigh of relief, glad to know that her daughter wasn't rebelling against the family like she formerly thought. Emma jumps up and holds her arms out. "Come here." The two Gilbert siblings hug, as Emma smiles in relief over his shoulder that he wasn't mad at her anymore.

"Well at least there's one happy ending," Annette sighed, as everyone is reminded of the events from earlier. "Not for long," Emma whispered.

"You guys changed your whole holiday tradition just so you could convince her to go with you?" Bella had asked. It reminded her of her parents, they did similar things once they found out the truth, just so she could still have some fun with her family. But since Emma's family didn't know her secret at the time, it's surprising that they would do that just for her. "A holiday is meant to be spent with the family. The whole family. Screw tradition," Lisa wiped furiously at her eyes, anger filling her tone. Emma's eyes widen slightly from her mom even saying such a thing before she finished answering Bella. "We had so much fun at the desert anyway that we've thought of it becoming our new tradition." "It never hurts to change things up a bit," Neil answered quick and short. "Sometimes it does," Rikki glanced down.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Back on Denman's boat, where the four mermaid hunters are still recovering from the shocking evidence of mermaids existing; Zane holds a copy of the picture in his hands, staring at the evidence that proved he was right the whole time. Proof to everyone that said otherwise, who called him crazy, that it was 'just a fantasy'. Proof that he needed for his dad to believe him. That his mermaid existed.]

"They're making copies?" Bev trembled, her eyes still watery. "It almost feels like a wanted poster," Don grumbled. It might've been just a piece of paper, but to them, that paper meant everything. It had a picture of their daughters, evidence of their magical existence. And it was what the scientists and Bennett's needed to motivate them for this hunt. Those papers were basically holding their daughter's lives on the line.

Harrison: next to him. Denman stands on the other side by the cabin next to the printer. "We all need to keep quiet about this. The last thing we need is to have the media swarming all over Mako Island." He gives Zane a look, who was still staring at the photo in excitement. "Zane, can you keep this a secret?"

"Considering he told the entire Gold Coast about mermaids the minute he saw Emma, I seriously doubt it," Ash glared. Well at least he's not calling me Ariel again," Emma internally shrugged.

"Hate saying it, but the media would be a whole lot worse than whatever scheme you four could come up with," Annette frowned. She knew what it was like to be in the public eye of the media. Her restaurant gets reviews all the time from all kinds of food magazines and cooking shows. Not to mention the good word she gets from the health, food, and restaurant critics. Her news would be a whole lot different, however, compared to the mermaids. She knew that if the media got ahold of the mermaids, there would be so much publicity, both good and bad. Most would see them as a danger, something unpredictable, something new. It would ruin the girls' lives. She didn't want that for them. Just like she wouldn't want that for her own daughter, Charlotte.

Zane: gives him a side look before turning to him and dropping his hands, the photo still in his clutches. "As long as there's credit where credit is due. I told you they were out there and you –." Gestures out to the ocean.

"Didn't listen. Like always," Zane finished his sentence. And like always, he cuts me off. "Karl would be proud," Max grumbled. "The two might be a lot alike, but they are so different in so many ways," Mrs. Chatham informed him. "How?" he asked, eyebrow raised. "Trust me," she smiled. As much as he doubted her, his friend was never wrong. Mostly. And he needed to trust her, just this once.

Harrison: cuts him off, glancing down for a moment. "Look, son. I'm sorry I doubted you. I was wrong." Denman listens in, as she sneaks glances at the father-son duo as another picture is slowly getting printed, different from the first one. "And for that I apologize." Zane stares at him in shock, silence overtaking him. "Apology accepted?" Zane looks down at his hand and shakes his hand, the bad tension between the two finally leaving ... for now.

"You admit that you were wrong. That's a shock," Don scoffed. "Must be a Bennett thing," Rikki said with a small smile. "The world must be ending," Kim sarcastically said. It sure felt like it, Cleo thought back to their capture. "And all it took was a stupid photo," Bev glared. "Another photo? It sure took a bit longer than the first one to come through. What a pity," Sam said, no emotion in her voice.

"Actually it – it came through earlier. But when it did, I thought it be-best to wait till Zane le-left," Denman stuttered out, her voice getting softer the more she spoke. "Why's that?" Charlotte demanded. Instead of a reply, Denman began to bite her nails, refusing to speak anymore for the time being. She began to rock back and forth, her breathing a little rapid as she did her best to remain calm. But all she could think about was what the families were going to do to her. How were they going to get their revenge on her for something that was in the past? Something that she couldn't take back, no matter how much she regretted it? These actions only caused Charlotte and others to frown even more, increasing their worries about the unknown. Is it that horrible to tell of something that will soon be shown?

Harrison: "Remember, Zane."

Zane: grins down at the photo still in his hands. "Yeah, I know. A secret." Zane hands the photocopy back to Harrison then strides off the boat, a wide smile still on his face. Harrison looks at the photo once more in slight disbelief, still shocked at the fact that this was real, and Zane was right all along.

"Something tells me that it won't be a secret for long," Will mentioned. "With that big smile on his face? He's gonna spill," Bella pointed out. Oh, you two are so, so right. I'm just super glad I was the only one he told, Rikki thought before she chuckled lightly. Ironic, the first and only person he told about evidence of mermaids, happens to be a mermaid.

Dr. Denman: walks over once Zane was gone, with another picture in her hands. "Have a look at this." Denman bites back a smile as she hands the picture over to Harrison and crosses her arms. "Another camera." Harrison looks at it in even more shock than before. This picture was different than the last. This time, instead of their backs turned, they were facing frontwards. There were three of them swimming side by side. And their faces, tails, and scaly tops were in full view. But that wasn't the shocking part to Harrison. What was, was that he knew those faces. From left to right was Emma, Cleo. And Rikki. Zane's girlfriend.

"Do the right thing, please. Stop this madness," Bev pleaded. "They're just kids, Harrison. You have to save them. End it now," Lisa begged, shaking her clasped hands together. Harrison closed his eyes and lowered his head, a hand running through his messy hair. They're going to hate me. Forever. I'll never gain my friends' trust again. I really messed up. Zane, although he wasn't looking at his dad, grabbed his shoulder in support. I'm with you, dad.

Harrison: "Unbelievable. I know these girls." Harrison looks up, with eyebrows raised as he stares at where his son once was. Denman grins mischievously. "Uh, I don't think we should share this with Zane." He stares back at the photo and zooms in on Rikki. Then the screen goes black.

Zane bit his lip. If he had found out about that picture earlier, he could've saved the girls so much trouble. Saved them from the unescapable hunt. Instead, he was deceived by his own dad. The thing is, he could forgive his dad. It was all in the past. But the others in the room, however ... this was all new to them.

Static. The only noise to fill the silent air. No shocked gasps, no screams of fear, no murmurs of worry, only the static sound coming from the screen and the sound of people breathing. Some were normal, some were light, and some heavy; some so strong and angry that Cleo was honestly surprised smoke wasn't blowing out. And some were breathing rapidly like Denman, who was shaking in pure terror in her seat, as she wrapped her arms around herself and buried herself into her lap. But Max did see one thing most others didn't before she went into hiding. A single tear.

Silent anger, what feels like the deadliest of all. The tears were gone and replaced with fury. The parents were angry, very angry. Everyone was. The mothers were filled with shock, anger, and sadness as their mouths hung open, no more tears falling. The fathers felt the same. Except replace the anger with wild and dangerous rage, as their eyes were wide and frowns on their faces in pure fury. The teenagers and kids in disbelief that someone who knew them and knew that his son was somewhat friends with them, would choose money, fame, and fortune, over them. But the one thing they absolutely felt in common, was betrayal. Because Harrison had just betrayed them. Broken their trust. Wronged them, lied to them, and kept it a secret from them.

Don glared at the screen, seeing red as he took a deep breath and began to crack his knuckles, loud enough for Harrison to hear. "Play the next one, please," Neil said in a calm and very terrifying tone. "Uh, dad. I don't think that's a goo –," Emma tried to say. "We want to see it. I want to see what goes down. I need to know. Press the button," Don said through gritted teeth as he cut her off. But no one made a move, as if frozen in fear. They wanted to know too, but were too scared to act on it.

"Start it! Now!" Terry shouted as he slammed his hand down onto the armrest, even making Rikki flinch at how loud he was. Zane still refused to press the button again, afraid of what it would cause next, although he already knew the answer to that. And so did Harrison, as he decided to face the upcoming wrath, no matter how terrified he felt. With an exhale, he slowly grabbed the remote from Zane's armrest, and with a shaky hand:

He pressed play.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

139K 5.9K 61
[ COMPLETE ] ❝there is no such thing as fate in this world. it's simply a combination of one person circumstances colliding with another.❞ [ 𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧...
27.3K 724 23
What happens when you go to MAKO island on a full moon? You turn into a mermaid, of course! The girls are mermaids and they go to a boarding school...
277 3 26
One awkward teenage girl. One life changing, yet possible dumb idea. One bite and one full moon. Packs, full moons and survival all colliding into o...
28K 517 23
Erik is back, and he has a plan: to take all the moon ring stones and forge them into one huge stone to reopen the merman chamber on Mako Island. Si...