A Wish on a Full Moon

By FlareSouth511

After Cleo accidentally grants Kim's wish on the night of a full moon, everyone including enemies, family, an... More

Kim's Wish (Part 1)
Kim's Wish (Part 2)
The Letter
Metamorphosis (Part 1)
Metamorphosis (Part 2)
Pool Party (Part 1)
Pool Party (Part 2)
Catch of the Day (Part 1)
Catch of the Day (Part 2)
Time to Talk
Party Girls (Part 1)
Party Girls (Part 2)
Something Fishy (Part 1)
Something Fishy (Part 2)
Young Love (Part 1)
Young Love (Part 2)
Moon Spell (Part 1)
Moon Spell (Part 2)
Roommates
The Denman Affair (Part 1)
The Denman Affair (Part 2)
Dangerous Waters (Part 1)
Dangerous Waters (Part 2)
The Camera Never Lies (Part 1)
The Camera Never Lies (Part 2)
Sink or Swim (Part 1)
Sink or Swim (Part 2)
The Siren Effect (Part 1)
The Siren Effect (Part 2)
Shipwrecked (Part 1)
Shipwrecked (Part 2)
Breaking the Ice
Are You Ready?
Surprise! (Part 1)
Surprise! (Part 2)
The Big Chill (Part 1)
The Big Chill (Part 2)
Lovesick (Part 1)
Lovesick (Part 2)
Under the Weather (Part 1)
Under the Weather (Part 2)
Bad Moon Rising (Part 1)
Bad Moon Rising (Part 2)
To Forgive or Forget
Hurricane Angela (Part 1)
Hurricane Angela (Part 2)
Hook, Line and Sinker (Part 1)
Hook, Line and Sinker (Part 2)
Red Herring (Part 1)
Red Herring (Part 2)
One Case Closed, Another One Opened
Party of Four
Fish Out of Water (Part 1)
Fish Out of Water (Part 2)
In Too Deep (Part 1)
Love Potion #9 (Part 1)
Love Potion #9 (Part 2)
Dr. Danger (Part 1)
Dr. Danger (Part 2)
A Twist in the Tail (Part 1)
A Twist in the Tail (Part 2)
Grief, Acceptance, & Forgiveness
Season 2 - Stormy Weather (Part 1)
Stormy Weather (Part 2)
Control (Part 1)
Control (Part 2)
The One That Got Away (Part 1)
The One That Got Away (Part 2)
Fire and Ice (Part 1)
Fire and Ice (Part 2)
Hocus Pocus (Part 1)
Hocus Pocus (Part 2)
What the Future Holds

In Too Deep (Part 2)

252 13 1
By FlareSouth511

I do not own H2O: Just Add Water or any of the characters.

Chapter 56: In Too Deep (part 2)

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[The girls walk behind Mrs. Chatham, where their little journey leads them to a secluded and empty pier.]

Rikki: behind Mrs. Chatham, with Emma and Cleo following behind her. "I always thought exercise was overrated."

Mrs. Chatham: chuckles and walks up the pier. "So like Julia. I always found the best way was to ignore her moods. And I often carried a tennis racket. It became very useful."

"Huh, guess we do tend to copy a few things. Ignoring your mood always made our days brighter," Emma teased. "And if I ignore your cold heart, it makes mine feel all warm inside," Rikki shot back with a grin.

"Do you still happen to have that tennis racket by chance?" Lewis asked, raising his hand slightly. "Lewis," Rikki warned. "Kidding, kidding."

Rikki: "I'm out of here." Gets frustrated and shakes her head. Begins to leave when Mrs. Chatham pleads for her to stop.

Mrs. Chatham: "Wait. Wait!" Rikki halts and reluctantly turns around. She stands beside Emma and Cleo as Mrs. Chatham stares at the end of the pier.

"You were that annoyed that you couldn't handle some joke?" Terry asked a little surprised. Usually, she doesn't mind a few comments thrown back at her. "I wanted to focus on getting that locket back. I needed to figure out a way to get it off of Miriam," Rikki explained. "Going down memory lane doesn't help me do that." "But learning a lesson will," Mrs. Chatham told her.

Mrs. Chatham: points to the end of the pier. "It was up there." The girls glance at each other before looking back at Mrs. Chatham. "His name was Karl." Another memory shows, and this time it's of Karl standing near the end of the pier, his arms crossed, and hair combed back. The rest of the background, the present time, was grayed out. "He was smart, funny, rich. A bit of a bad boy, but very good looking." Mrs. Chatham chuckles at the memory of her old enemy before she shakes her head and sighs.

"For someone who's from generations ago, he ain't that bad looking," Charlotte said, a few other girls agreeing.

"Yeah, it would remind you of Zane, if you take away the smart and good-looking parts," Lewis joked. "Jealous, Lewis?" Zane raised an eyebrow. "I'd rather keep my smarts than your filthy wallet," Lewis scoffed.

Mrs. Chatham: "She told him everything."

Julia: stands in front of Karl and holds his hands, looking very nervous yet excited. "I'm a mermaid."

The mood of the theater descends quickly as a few shocked gasps escape the crowd. "She actually told him?!" Annette said in shock. It made her wonder if her mother told anybody. She wished she had told her.

"Why would she tell him on a public pier? Someone could have overheard her!" Kim exclaimed. "That wasn't very bright of her," Don said. "I said she was hotheaded, not smart," Mrs. Chatham joked. "You're joking about our dead friend?" Max asked, hating to remind both of them that she was gone. "It's Julia. I believe she would want us to laugh at the memories," Mrs. Chatham sighed with a smile before returning to the conversation. "But she wanted to do it in a public place in case things weren't to go exactly as she had hoped. Which, it didn't." She pointed to the screen.

Mrs. Chatham: "At first, he was upset."

Karl: gets mad and yanks his hands away. "When were you going to tell me this?" A man from the present walks through them in the past memory.

Julia: "When I thought the time was right. You gave me this and ..." She holds up the love letter to him, but Karl takes it away from her.

Karl: scoffs. "I didn't ... I gave you this, not a fish." Karl tosses it on the ground and walks away from her, breaking her heart.

Rikki glanced down at the ground, a little glum. She was relieved that it never happened to her, but still felt bad for the former mermaid who had to go through that, all because of who she was and what she wasn't.

"Oh, man. How awful," Max shook his head, glaring at the man that was supposed to be their classmate. He wasn't there that day, but he wished he was. If he was, he could've stopped that mess before it turned for the worst. He could've been there to help his friend, to be there for her. But he wasn't, and there was nothing that could change it.

"What a jerk!" Sam shouted.

"How could she fall for a guy like him?" Ash scoffed. "Because she thought he was falling for who she truly was. But she was wrong. In the end, all he saw her as was a monster," Mrs. Chatham said, tears shining in her eyes. "But she's still the same person, just with a few added features," Elliot pouted. He didn't want anyone to treat his sister like that. He hoped that Byron wouldn't either if they ever ended up together. "Unfortunately, he couldn't see that," Mrs. Chatham sighed.

Zane stared at the screen in shock. How could he do that to her? He should've loved her no matter what, legs or tail. It shouldn't matter. But it did to that guy. Zane promised himself he would never turn into that guy, never again. And he plans on sticking to that promise.

"I'm surprised he didn't think she was crazy," Denman remarked. No one believed her for a while either. "Because everyone thought he was crazy for believing that the sea creature that saved the fisherman was a mermaid, even his own father. Karl was willing to believe any information he got. Including about her," Mrs. Chatham explained.

Mrs. Chatham: "He wouldn't see her for a long time."

"Maybe he needed some time to think it through," Bella said but felt only false hope. "That's what Julia thought too," Mrs. Chatham replied sadly.

Mrs. Chatham: "And then one day he called, wanting to meet. We begged her not to go. But ..." Another vision plays of Karl slowly pacing back and forth on the same pier, hands behind his back. He paced and paced, until he looks down and sees Julia pop up in the water with a bright, loving smile, and a tail. "She thought she could trust him. She thought he understood." Karl leans over to get a better look at her, seeing her tail for the first time. "She was so terribly happy. And so terribly wrong." Karl brings his hands forward and reveals a camera that he was holding behind his back. He holds it up to his face and immediately starts taking pictures of her, the flash marking each pic he took. The smile drops from Julia's face and shock takes over. As the camera continues flashing, she swims away, even more heartbroken than before. Karl was able to snap one more picture of her tail before she left. "He wanted to expose her to the whole world."

The theater gasped in horror. The girls glared at the man yet felt fear for the reminder that it almost happened to them. At the time they could only hear of the stories, but now they were seeing it from Mrs. Chatham's perspective, of everything that happened to them so long ago. And the visuals only fueled their anger, including many others in the room.

"Using her feelings against herself. He's the real monster," Charlotte muttered under her breath, though she was very thankful that it didn't happen to her grandmother. Her and Annette both.

Max fumed upon seeing this. Again, he wasn't there for her at the time, and he really wished he did so he could save her and protect his friend, but he couldn't. He wasn't. Luckily for them, the other two of the group were able to stop him in time. But it still didn't stop the guilt.

Neil stared at the screen in fear, even Lisa joined in. This was what they feared the most when it came to Emma's secret. This was the exact nightmare they hoped Emma wouldn't get in with Zane's ridiculous mermaid hunt. Neil didn't care how many people said that Zane changed, he acted exactly like Karl in these episodes so far. And if he goes as far as to expose Emma or Rikki just like that evil man did ... then he's going to wish a mermaid was there to protect him.

Bella's heart was beating rapidly. Her parents knew the truth and was very thankful that they never exposed her, but what if someone else were to find out. Like another family member, or a friend. Would they really go that low to destroy someone's life just to get some cash and a little bit of fame? It's not like they chose this life, yet they would choose to ruin their lives. And this guy had plenty of time to think it over, to see the pros and cons of the situation, and yet he still chose to try and take it all away.

Just another way of proving that she's more human than him, Ash thought, eyes narrowed at the screen.

Young Louise: "Hey!" Karl whips around to find two teenage girls, Louise and Gracie, stood behind him, and caught him in the act. In the background, Mrs. Chatham and the girls could be seen. Louise flings the camera out of Karl's hand, and it lands in the water, destroying any evidence he had. Karl gestures to the water as Louise and Gracie walk away from the disgrace.

Whistles and claps echo throughout the room, as the whole room hoots and hollers for the two girls. "Oh, thank you," Bella breathed out in relief.

"Wow, that was so brave of you," Lisa said and hoped that this would never happen to Emma or any of the girls.

Annette smiled at seeing her mother stand up to the horrible excuse of a man. Standing up for her friend like that, was so great of her, so powerful. And she couldn't be more proud to call Gracie her mother.

"You rock, Mrs. C," Lewis cheered. Mrs. Chatham chuckled in response. "Why thank you, Lewis. And to you all."

"That's what friends are for," Emma beamed as she looked at each of her friends.

Mrs. Chatham: "He tried telling everyone about us. But people made a mockery of him. No one believed him." Rikki glances down at the similarities of the phrasing.

"I know how that feels," Zane mumbled. It was just like when no one believed him about seeing a mermaid.

"Can you blame them? Who in their right mind would believe a rich, crazy snob thought three teenage human girls with legs, were mermaids?" Max scoffed, a smug grin left on his face at seeing the humiliating defeat of Karl. "I could think of a few," Lewis pondered as he glanced down at the two doctors. "Me too," Cleo smirked as she glanced at her sister. Kim rolled her eyes. "Can you please let the diary incident go?" "Not until you let go of the marriage thing and the old fear of water excuse," Cleo bargained. "Then I guess the battle continues on," Kim crossed her arms, accepting the challenge. "Oh, please no, no, no," Don whined. It was so peaceful till now.

[Later on, Julia sat on the pier, staring out into the distance, quiet and alone. She had her legs tucked close to her and refused to let anyone near. Grace and Louise watch from a distance, the former's arms were crossed, clearly concerned for their friend.]

Mrs. Chatham: "Julia closed up after that." Julia takes a deep breath as a tear escapes. "She never really got over the betrayal." Finally, after a moment, Louise leaves Gracie's side and leaves their friend Julia to herself. She walks down the pier, back toward the present Mrs. Chatham. Louise walks straight into Mrs. Chatham and morphs into her present self, and all past events vanish as the color returns around them. Mrs. Chatham takes a deep breath.

Max looked down. He knew the feeling of betrayal and regret. It was exactly how he felt when Gracie threw her locket into the moonpool and got rid of the magic for good. It felt as if their friendship was over, forever. It took him a long time to be able to move on from the past, though it seems to still follow him into the present, even now. It took a long time for Julia to finally be able to open back up, to be able to talk to anyone. To admit that she was wrong, and to rejoin her friends in the open blue, but she was able to do it. She was able to find her happiness again. Just like Louise was. Just like Gracie was. And just like he was.

"You're a good friend, Mrs. Chatham. Even if you hadn't spoken to them in a long time, you were still respectful to them. You were a good person, and very faithful. Thank you for that," Annette mentioned, secretly thanking her for being a good friend to her mother as well.

Rikki: frowns, bringing them all back to the present. "Well, that was then."

Emma: scolds her. "Rikki."

Rikki: "No, I know what she's trying to say. And I'm not like that." Rikki grabs her phone out of her pocket and walks away while she sends a text.

"You never know what you're like until you get stuck in a similar situation," Max mentioned. "Well, lucky for me, I didn't," Rikki said quietly as she sent a smile in Zane's direction.

"If you knew she was warning you then why didn't you speak up earlier?" Bella asked curiously. "I wanted to hear her story. I never got to hear the whole story behind those lockets, so I wanted to know more," Rikki admitted.

Cleo: glances back before she speaks to Mrs. Chatham. "So, what happened to Julia?"

Mrs. Chatham: looks back at her and after a few seconds, she speaks. "It took time. But life goes on."

Max and Mrs. Chatham glanced at one another. Though Julia really never got over that day, she did at least make an effort to move forward with her life and try to return to normal; well as normal as it gets for a mermaid. They all put in an effort to help and change things. And eventually, they all returned to their happy selves, somewhat, as the past stayed behind them.

Mrs. Chatham: turns back and begins to walk back down the pier. Emma and Cleo walk alongside her. "We rebuilt our friendship and our trust." She lays a hand on Emma's back and stops at the end of the pier near the beachside. Her other hand reaches for her locket and holds it. "We gave each other the lockets as a symbol of our friendship, our secret. And we swore an oath ... 'Keep the secret, be there for one another, and always be friends.'" Cleo smiles.

Max smiled at the reminder of the lockets. He was glad to be able to help out with those lockets and their friendship. Though he wished he could've done more, he knew how much those lockets meant to each one of them and was very thankful that they were once again in good hands.

"An oath we kept as well," Cleo beamed as she grabs both of their hands, the other two returning the smile.

Mrs. Chatham: looks out into the distance where Rikki had left. "She needs you. She doesn't know how much, but she does." Let's go of her locket and looks back at the two girls. "Good luck."

"As much as I hate saying it, she's right on that one," Rikki reluctantly admitted. "I did need you guys. It just took me a little bit to figure that out." "And we need you too, no matter how much of a pain you are," Emma joked, and Rikki playfully rolled her eyes. Cleo laughed.

"You should never be ashamed to ask for help. That's what friends are for, to help you no matter what," Sam said.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Meanwhile, outside the Juicenet café, Zane and Nate pull up on the zodiac next to the pier that connects to the café. When Zane parks the boat, he hops out and stands on the pier. Inside the boat lays the old worn out and bent door from Mrs. Chatham's boat that Zane had kept for evidence, as proof of his little merfriend. Unbeknownst to the two boys, Wilfred was watching the two from the patio of the café. He sets a tray down at a table and then walks down the boardwalk to the boys.]

Zane: to Nate. Reaches for the door. "Come on. Dad doesn't want it at his place anymore."

"Why not?" Neil asked suspiciously. "It was taking up too much space and it was unnecessary. There was no need for it," Harrison shrugged, making Neil relax somewhat.

"Why did you carry it to the café?" Kim asked. "I was trying to find another spot to put it. Luckily Wilfred lent a hand in that," Zane grinned, making Neil tense up again.

Nate: "Why don't we just dump it back out at sea?"

"Because it's illegal," Will said in a duh tone.

"I prefer to swim with fish, not trash. It's already bad enough knowing Nate's out in the water, we don't need any other garbage floating around," Rikki griped.

Zane: and Nate lift the door out of the boat. "No, it's proof. I want to keep it where I can see it." They stand it up to get a better look at it when Wilfred comes up to them.

Wilfred: looks at the door. "Woah! That's a genuine cabin door from a 1968 custom cruiser. Where'd you find it?"

"How in the world did he know that?!" Kim exclaimed, her jaw dropped along with a few others. Even Mrs. Chatham was impressed. That was the exact model of her boat. "All good fishermen know a good boat when they see one," Don grinned, clearly impressed by Wilfred's skills as well.

Zane: "We salvaged it from a shipwreck."

"Hmm, I think stolen is more of a better term," Mrs. Chatham mumbled. She might've forgiven Zane, but she can still complain about it if she wanted to.

Nate: points to the dent in the door, a teasing grin splits his face. "Yeah, Zane thinks a mermaid did this to save his life."

Zane: whispers. "Seriously?"

"Hey, when you go and blurt it out to the whole world, you're going to get some backlash about it," Emma smirked. "Yeah, and I get plenty of it already from Nate. He gave me more of it than anybody else," Zane scoffed. "That's what you get for blabbing your mouth," Rikki mocked. "He was telling the truth," Sam pointed out. "Yeah, but who was going to believe him," Lewis chuckled.

Wilfred: "You want to sell it?" Zane looks at him, slightly shocked.

"He wanted to buy a door?" Annette questioned his business decisions. "It was a rare piece. That's something you don't see every day," Don informed. "It's a door to a boat," Sam told him as if he were crazy. "Yeah, you totally don't see people buying old boat doors every day," Rikki sarcastically said.

"I thought you wanted to keep it," Ash grinned. "Hey, he offered a good price, I wasn't going to let that opportunity go," Zane smiled.

"Shouldn't I get some of the profit considering it came from my boat?" Mrs. Chatham raised an amused eyebrow. "Sorry, I didn't think about it. I can give you back some of the money if you'd like," Zane offered. "It's quite alright," Mrs. Chatham chuckled.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Meanwhile in the café, unfortunately for Miriam, the consequence of her revenge begins to kick in as the locket tangles up in her hair again. Tiffany stands by the counter with her, trying to help her get it free.]

Miriam: irritated as she tries to free her hair. "Ow! Ugh, why is this always happening? Some help here."

"Because it wasn't meant for you," Max said with a smug smile. Though he hated that she got it in the first place, he did enjoy seeing her suffer from her pitiful actions.

"Karma's her worst enemy. She should know that by now," Rikki bit her cheek, making sure she doesn't say the actual phrase to it. No need to worsen Elliot's view of her, or his parents.

"Next time don't take something that's not yours," Kim crossed her arms. "Technically she did buy it, so it did belong to her," Lewis pointed out, earning him a few glares. "Only because she was jealous," Rikki scoffed.

"How many times has this happened now?" Annette asked curiously. "I'm not sure. Maybe a few times," Rikki shrugged. "Too bad I didn't have my wind power then, she would've definitely learned her lesson then," Cleo whispered harshly.

Tiffany: tries to help detangle the mess. "Just hold still."

Miriam: "Ow, ow! Stop it. You're making it worse."

"Good," most of them spat.

Tiffany: continues to fiddle with the hair-filled locket. "Just relax. Try to tilt your head."

Miriam: glares at her. "I am you moron. That's why it's caught!" Winces as it tugs at her hair once more. "Ow! Oh, I wish I never bought this thing. Ah!" Tiffany pulls the necklace off. Fortunately, the necklace came back mostly in one piece. Unfortunately, Miriam's hair (and head, somehow) still remain intact. Miriam looks at the separated necklace in Tiffany's hands. "That was your fault. Fix it." Tiffany gives her a sad look before nodding slightly and walks away.

"Ah, sometimes it's nice to see this side of Miriam," Kim sighed and smiled. "But, she's in pain," Charlotte frowned. "I know! Isn't it great?"

"See what happens when you let jealousy take over? It only hurts yourself in the end," Sam warned.

"It's not Tiffany's fault you wanted to wear it, and it's not her fault it kept tangling in your hair. It's yours!" Zane shouted.

"Unbelievable. She yells at her and blames her, yet Tiffany still does what she says," Annette shook her head in concern.

[Wilfred walks through the beaded curtains with the large boat cabin door. Zane and Nate come in behind him.]

Wilfred: smiles, to Zane. "It'll be great with all my other stuff."

"I still can't believe he bought that," Harrison said in slight surprise. "I can't believe he still has it," Zane mentioned.

Zane: "Cheers." Wilfred walks off. Zane glances around the café, where he spots Miriam standing nearby. She watches him with interest and then beckons him to come over. Nate separates from him and heads for the counter as Zane drags himself over to the rat. "What do you want? And no more games."

Miriam: "Games? Me? Please. Listen, I've got a proposition."

Zane glanced down. He really didn't want to watch this. He didn't want to see his regret, his failure, his stupidity. The betrayal. But he did it all for her, didn't he? So why was he questioning this? Because he also didn't want to see the look of hurt on Rikki's face when she finds them in the dealing process.

One look from Rikki, and she automatically knew what was coming. She had to admit, she wasn't going to be happy about this upcoming scene. That's an understatement. She was downright pissed. But she was excited about the aftermath, where Zane shows his devotion for her by searching for the necklace on the ocean floor. That made up for it any day, just as long as he doesn't do it again.

Terry frowned, he couldn't help it. There was something fishy going on with that girl, and he had a bad feeling about it.

"You really think she's going to stop?" Kim scoffed. "I really wished she did," Zane barely whispered, his gaze still on the floor.

"Whatever it is, don't do it. She's got nothing but tricks up her sleeves," Ash said. He didn't even know her and yet he could tell. "I wish I hadn't," Zane mumbled. There was bound to be another way, somehow.

[Outside of the café, Rikki walks up and sits at the counter next to Lewis.]

Rikki: "You called. What's up?"

Lewis: "Oh, you are going to love this." Counts on his fingers and turns to her. "I washed five cars. I got a loan from my brother. I hawked my gym set."

"Oh, no," Cleo gasped as the others stared at him in shock as realization hit too late. "You forgot to tell him, didn't you?" Emma grimaced, so does Rikki. "Yes, she did," Lewis said in a deadpanned tone before straightening up. "Luckily, I was able to give the money back to my brother and got to keep the money I got from the car wash. But as for my gym set ..." Lewis gave a thumbs down. "At least they'll be used now," Rikki shrugged. "They were being used!" Lewis argued. "For what? To collect dust? That's the only gain you ever got!" Rikki countered. Lewis pouted before he faced the screen and crossed his arms.

Rikki: nods in confusion. "Right. So ..."

Lewis: "So? So?" Reaches into his shirt pocket and pulls out a wad of cash. "I got the balance for the locket."

"Yeah, a little late for that," Charlotte winced. She felt really bad for him. Having done all that work for nothing. But at least he got to keep the money, most of it.

Don bit back a laugh, doing his very best not to laugh out loud. Too bad it didn't work.

Rikki: nods as she realizes she forgot to tell him. "Oh, right ... look, we're too late. It's been sold." Gives him a sad smile. "I'm sorry, but thanks anyways."

"Why didn't you tell him earlier?" Cleo frowned. "Probably because I got distracted by trying to yank it off the leaches neck while getting in an argument with my boyfriend. So, forgive me if it slipped my mind," Rikki huffed.

Lewis: stuffs the wad back in his shirt pocket and frowns, clearly done with everything. "Rikki, if I get fat, it is your fault." Rikki shakes her head and stands up. She heads towards the building as Lewis follows.

Terry's frown deepened, once again the bad feeling came back. This was leading up to something, but he wasn't quite sure what it was yet.

"How would it be her fault? She can't control you," Kim exclaimed. "Stress, dear Kim, stress. Which she causes a lot of," Lewis said, holding a finger up, not even looking her way.

"Just save the money for something special. It wasn't that big of a deal anyways," Rikki shook her head and rolled her eyes. "Says the one who caused me to do all of that in the first place," Lewis shot back.

[Back inside where Miriam continues bargaining with Zane. Tiffany sits behind them as she attempts to fix the necklace.]

Zane: "You don't want it anymore. Why?"

Miriam: "Well, it's just, I'm getting bored with it. And I'd gladly part with it for nothing."

"She's up to something," Will frowned, suspicious. "When is she not?" Bella commented but couldn't help but agree that he was right.

Zane: "Nothing?" Miriam grins. Zane frowns. "What's the catch?"

"There's always something. There's never nothing," Max sighed.

Terry stared at the screen, his heart beating a little faster. He wasn't sure what he was worried about more. The necklace, or Rikki who would walk in at any second.

Miriam: "Well ..." Turns around and leans against the booth table next to Tiffany. "I will give it to you ..." The sound of beaded curtains is heard, and Miriam looks over Zane's shoulder to find Rikki and Lewis walk in, where the latter spots the two talking. Miriam looks back at him with a sly smirk. "For a kiss." Tiffany looks up at her in slight surprise that her friend would do something as horrible as that. Miriam touches her lips with her finger. "Right here, right now." Rikki walks closer, keeping her eyes on them as she rubs her neck. Lewis notices them too and walks beside her.

The room grew silent. Every single one of them that hadn't known, stared at the screen in horror. Mouths gaping wide open, some covered their mouths to prevent a scream from escaping. Glaring daggers at the screen.

"That little bi –!" Annette covered Charlotte's mouth and moved closer to whisper in her ear. "Finish that word and you're grounded for a month." "Even if she is one?" Charlotte's voice came out muffled. "There's children here," Annette reminded, nodding her head towards Kim and Elliot. Charlotte huffed and crossed her arms as Annette removed her hand from her daughter's mouth, though Charlotte continued glaring at the blonde devil on-screen.

Terry didn't know what to feel. Every emotion he felt was negative. Anger towards the girl that calls herself a decent human being; she only planned this since Rikki walked in. And in front of Rikki too! Terry thought. Scared to know what this could lead to for his little girl and her relationship. Heartbroken at the very thought that Zane could have possibly taken the deal. After all, Rikki's wearing the necklace now, so where could she have gotten it from after this disaster? But Rikki would be even more heartbroken if Zane does take the deal.

"A kiss, for a necklace? It's not worth it, mate. So devious," Ash shook his head worriedly.

"She truly is evil," Neil whispered in disappointment.

"That's just cruel," Kim said in concern. She's grown to like Rikki, she didn't want anyone else to mess with Cleo's friends. That was her job.

They were right. These mermaids are more human than some people, Denman stared at the screen in concern. She and Rikki might not have gotten along well – plus Zane too –that's putting it lightly, but she did think they were a great couple, from what she could tell from their journey so far. It was awful to see someone try to tear that apart.

"If she hadn't seen Rikki walk in, she wouldn't have suggested it," Lewis glared. He was there, he knew what would happen. He knew what was going to go down. He didn't like it one bit, especially seeing how much it hurt Rikki, but he was angrier at Miriam than at Zane for manipulating him.

Zane's glanced back down, forcing back tears. He looked up for a moment to see Rikki walk in but quickly looked back down after the deal was revealed. He couldn't do it. He refused to see Rikki's reaction to the scene. He didn't want to see her heartbreak again. He didn't want to do that to her ever again.

Rikki tensed up. This was it. This was the moment that tested them both. She knew Zane had good intentions for it, but he had a very bad thinking process as well. And the anger toward Miriam continued to rise as she realized why she suggested the kiss. Because she was there. That's how she wanted to finish her act of revenge, her pitiful rage of jealousy, how she wanted to destroy Rikki. Well, she could try all she wanted, she was never going to break Rikki. No matter how many times she throws a punch.

Miriam: "Just one. It doesn't mean anything."

"Doesn't mean anything? Doesn't mean anything?! It might not mean anything to you, but it means everything to them, to everyone that has a heart you cold-blooded beast!" Kim hollered. Bev kept quiet, refusing to calm down Kim. It needed to be let out, it needed to be said. Because she was absolutely right. A kiss means everything.

"You better not," Terry warned in a low voice, his eyes losing any sense of heartbreak and filling with anger.

It meant that Rikki would've been happy, and the necklace would've been returned to her. She might've explained things to me, we would've been closer. But I was wrong and so stupid to take that deal. I really messed up big time, Zane thought with a shiver.

"Don't do it, it's not worth it," Elliot said worriedly.

Zane: sighs. "Fine." He steps closer to her and leans down to kiss her on the lips. The pathetic excuse of a human looks over his shoulder during the kiss and watches Rikki's heartbreak slowly into pieces.

The room was once again silent. The shock from earlier over the deal was replaced with shock that he actually took the deal before the silence erupted into multiple shouts.

"Are you stupid?!" Ash shouted. "What kind of boyfriend are you?" Bella frowned. "It shouldn't matter if it's over a stupid necklace. If it involves kissing another girl that's not your girlfriend, then you don't do it! You find another way to get it back!" Sam exclaimed.

"Oh, Zane. What were you thinking?" Harrison said, his head now facing the floor as he rubs his forehead, feeling very sorry for Rikki for not only knowing about this, but seeing it twice. His own son, though believing he was doing it for very good reasons, just made an extremely bad decision.

Kim shut her eyes and blocked out the noise. That look Rikki had was all too familiar to her. The look of a confused heart, breaking. It was the same look her dad had when the three of them came home and found Bev's bags packed and declared that she wanted a divorce. It was the last thing she heard before Cleo had rushed the both of them upstairs. Nothing led up to it, just like the case for Rikki. She didn't want to see that look again. She didn't want to be reminded of what caused it ever again.

Cleo and Emma glanced down. After all three necklaces were reunited, Rikki explained to them everything that went down, involving getting the necklace back from Miriam. Including the kiss. They didn't like it one bit and thought Rikki should have dumped Zane, but Rikki claimed that Zane won her back by retrieving the necklace from the ocean floor. At first, they didn't agree. But if Rikki had forgiven him, then they could learn to as well. Speaking of forgiving ...

"YOU ARE SO DEAD!"

The shout silenced all the other complaints and bickering as everyone looked at the most threatening person in the room at the moment: Rikki's father. Terry was enraged, his breathing was heavy and if looks could kill, Terry would be a professional hitman for it, cause right now, Zane really wished he was dead.

Terry lunged from his seat and went to aim for Zane's throat, but before he could even reach the boy, several arms held him back. Neil and Don and surprisingly even Lewis were trying to hold the tough guy back. They did their best, but Terry kept trying to break free, twisting every which way to be able to loosen their grip on him.

"Hang on, Lewis!" Cleo called out. "Easy for you to say. You're the one with powers!" Lewis yelled over the fighting. While Lewis was holding onto one of Terry's arms, it seemed that Terry was a lot stronger than he looked, for he was able to bring his arm up a little and lift Lewis off the ground for a second. Either the man had super strength or Lewis was only skin and brains, which was probably the case.

And while this all happened, not once did Zane move. Not a budge, not a flinch, other than his head turned towards two pain-filled pairs of eyes, he did not leave his seat.

Those two pairs of emotional eyes belong to Rikki, and her father, Terry. Rikki's was understandable. It's tough having to see her boyfriend cheat not once, but twice now due to the screen. It was something very unexpected, something she had no idea about and didn't understand the truth behind it till now. A very confusing, shocking time for the girlfriend. But for some reason, Zane could've sworn there was a small sad smile on Rikki's face, with tears brimming in her eyes. The tears he could understand, but the smile? His face almost mirrored Rikki's on-screen.

The second pair of eyes was Terry, who was in pure rage at seeing the confused, heartbroken look cross Rikki's face on-screen. A look no father should ever have to see on their daughter. A look that makes them want to protect their loved ones from the cruel outside world and hold them close and keep all those negative feelings away. And because of what this boy did, a boy he was beginning to trust, to his little girl, he couldn't protect her from that heartbreak again. He couldn't protect her from it when her mom left, but he could surely try now as Terry continued trying to bust free from their grips.

"How could you do that to her? How could you break her heart, you monster!" Terry shouted, each word coming with a challenged swing in Zane's direction but failing due to the extra weight holding him down. "Dad," Rikki sighed, a little quiet though since Terry seemed to be too busy yelling. "She cared for you! She trusted you and you do this to her?! That's my little girl!" "Dad ..." "And just when I was beginning to trust you with Rikki. But I was wrong, you're just like her mother, you backstabbing piece of –!" Terry spat out. "Dad!" Rikki yelled louder, finally gaining the attention of the aforementioned people.

Terry stopped struggling against his human restraints, panting heavily from using so much energy from trying to break free. Zane stared at Rikki in surprise. Why did she stop him? Why didn't she let her dad pummel him to the ground?

Rikki stood from her seat and walked in-between the two, facing her father. "That's enough." It was now Terry's turn to look at his daughter in shock. "What?" "I said that's enough dad," Rikki said firmly, standing her ground.

Terry stood still as the guys begin to slowly, but still prepared to stop him again, let him go, and back away. It was Rikki's fight now.

"What are you talking about? He deserves it! He's a lying, dirty, little rich boy who thinks he can do anything. Rikki, he kissed another girl!" Terry yelled as he pointed to said boy, who looked guilty behind Rikki's back. "Yeah, dad I know. I was kind of there for it. And saw it twice now," Rikki sighed, holding up two fingers.

"How can you be so calm about this?! He cheated on you!" "He might have but he didn't want –." Terry scoffed. "Well for someone who didn't want to kiss the pretty blonde lunatic, he sure chose it quickly."

"Dad," Rikki warned before sighing. "Yes, he did it without thinking like an idiot, but he was trying to do it for the right reasons. He was trying to get the necklace back, for me. Even if it was from a terrible negotiator," she added with a small smile. "It's still wrong, Rikki," Terry said, pointing his finger down ferociously to the ground, glaring at the boy over her shoulder and then back at Rikki.

The father-daughter duo stared at each other for a long time before Rikki finally spoke again. "Dad, do you remember what we talked about last night?" "About how it's risky dating him, about how he hunted you guys down, about him making mistakes? Yeah, I recall that," Terry said in fury.

"I'm talking about how I said he has good in him, that he's a sweet and caring person," Rikki reminded him while she tried to ignore the awkward feeling that she was revealing their little chat to everyone, including Zane. "Yeah and look where that led to now!" Terry gestured wildly to the screen before looking back at Rikki. "I asked you if you were sure about this then. You knew what he did long before and yet you're still with him?" Terry asked incredulously.

"And do you remember what my answer was?" Rikki raised an eyebrow. Her father stared at her in confusion, silence filling the air. "I said I wouldn't be with him still if I weren't sure."

Terry huffed and looked around, trying to find something to argue about as he was still very angry. Rikki slowly walked forward towards him. "Dad ..." Terry looked back up at her, the anger still clear in his eyes. "We're going to sit back down now and watch the rest of this. And I want you to watch and see what happens, and you cannot argue anymore about it until it's over. Okay?" Terry was flabbergasted. "But, but –." Rikki held up a finger to hush him. "Ah, ah. You can talk about it all you want after you see the ending. Do it for me, okay?"

If Rikki could do a puppy eyes look, she totally would. But her dad seems to be settling with the forgiving and happy/sad look Rikki gave him as he finally seems to be calming down a little. His breathing slowed and the redness in his face began to go away.

Terry sighed after a moment and closed his eyes. "Okay. For you, not him," he said through gritted teeth, glancing one last time at Zane before heading back to his seat. Don and Neil stayed leaned forward in their seats just in case Terry were to try to pounce again, they would be ready.

Rikki was about to sit back down when she still felt two presence behind her: Zane and Harrison. Zane couldn't believe it. She was able to forgive him that easily? After giving back the necklace and fighting with her dad, she was still able to smile at him like it was nothing.

"Rikki," Zane began to say but was cut off by the blonde girl. "You don't have to apologize, Zane. You've done it so many times before. I forgave you the first time, after I got the necklace back," Rikki said with a small laugh. Zane couldn't help but let out a breathy laugh as well, feeling slightly relieved. She really did forgive him, that's something rare coming from Rikki. She truly is an incredible woman, Zane thought.

The two stared lovingly at one another, both hiding a bit of guilt and sadness behind their smiles before Harrison disrupts it. The older Bennett patted Zane on the shoulder and slowly brings him back down to his seat. Before he does so, he sends a grateful and apologetic smile towards Rikki, mouthing the words 'thank you.' Rikki nodded in appreciation and mouthed back 'you're welcome.'

The rest of the group, though some were still ticked at Zane for doing such an act, the others were trying to look past it like Rikki seemed to do, as they all gazed back at the screen and tried to ignore the now awkward, tense atmosphere. Most of them at least, Terry still seemed to be trying to burn holes through the back of Zane's head. He's a father to an on-screen heartbroken girl, who could blame him?

"Can you please stop trying to get yourself killed?" Lewis whispered to Zane. "Thanks for caring, Lewis. I'll let you know when a deadly situation comes up again," Zane rolled his eyes, having enough of this.

[As Rikki watches them in confused heartbreak, Zane and Miriam finally separate. Miriam turns to Tiffany, who still sat at the booth, and the real friend hands the now fixed locket back to Miriam.]

At least it didn't last that long, Harrison huffed in thought. He cares for his son a lot, but sometimes he really questions the length of his intelligence in order for him to do something as stupid as this. Maybe that boarding school wasn't such a bad idea. Zane might've complained about it a lot, but this proves he really needed it. Rikki was a great person to him, he couldn't understand why Zane would do that to her. Okay, it was for a good reason, but an incredibly stupid one!

Miriam: to Zane. "Meet me outside." Miriam walks past him, giving one last winning glance at Rikki as she held the locket up and walks out the beaded curtains.

"Even though you're not together, she acts like she still has you on a leash," Bella shook her head. She really hoped she doesn't run into this barbie wannabe if she ever goes to Australia. "That's because she does," Kim muttered.

[Zane finally turns around, and for once notices his surroundings, as he sees Rikki who was behind him, watching it all unfold in front of her eyes. Rikki blinks, still completely confused and shocked by what just happened. Lewis stands behind her, feeling very awkward yet concerned for his friend.]

It was at this moment, that he knew, he screwed up, Will squinted, trying to shut off his thoughts.

"Oh, so now you notice!" Terry shouted in exasperation. "Dad. What did I say?" Rikki raised an eyebrow. Terry let out a breath in defeat. "To not to talk until it's over." "That's what I thought." "Since when did the teenagers start telling the parents what to do?" Cleo whispered to herself, not knowing Kim heard it as well. "I don't know, but I hope she'll teach me. I could really use a trick or two." "I heard that," Don reminded the girls, causing them to grimace.

"Shouldn't you do something Lewis?" Emma asked, noticing the boy still there. "I felt more like a third wheel stuck in a bad position. I didn't know what to do other than to just stand there," Lewis shrugged. "Probably the best thing to do in that situation," Sam commented.

Zane: starts panicking and gestures towards where Miriam left. Walks closer. "I can explain."

Rikki: shakes her head. "I don't think you can." Starts to leave, Lewis follows.

"He could, you just wouldn't believe him," Emma shrugged. "It was a ridiculous excuse," Charlotte said. "It was the truth," Zane exclaimed. "Still, it's hard to believe," Cleo said. "We know will, we know. It's not as hard to believe as mermaids," Rikki rolled her eyes as she saw Will's mouth open and shut. Bella laughed.

Zane: "I only did it to get the locket." Grabs her by the arm and twists her around to face him. "It didn't mean anything."

"Bad choice of words," Ash hissed. "Could've used that advice ages ago," Zane mumbled.

"You're digging your own grave," Don winced.

Rikki: frowns, gets angry. "I'm glad kissing someone means so little to you."

Zane: glances back toward the door and sighs. "Just wait here. Everything will be fine. You'll see." Rikki eyes him carefully, as if she were considering if she should or not. "Just, wait here." Zane rushes to the door, and Rikki looks away from the exit, the hurt from the heartbreak starting to take over.

It better, Terry glared at the screen. He would glare at the Zane that was currently in the room, but he was afraid if he did, he would end up yelling at him again. Not that he wouldn't mind, but Rikki would get upset again, and he didn't want that.

"For your sake, I really hope so," Harrison said. He knew Rikki and Zane got together again eventually, but he wasn't sure how long they were separated before that, if they ever did separate.

"It'll be a miracle if it does," Denman shook her head. "Some miracles do come true," Mrs. Chatham smiled, glancing at the girls.

"Why didn't you interfere?" Charlotte asked Lewis curiously. "After the whole Zane and Cleo thing, I learned not to mess with other relationships, especially those two," Lewis crossed his arms like an x then nodded his head towards Rikki and Zane.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Zane storms out of the café and marches up to Miriam where she stands by the edge of the patio, near the water.]

Zane: "Miriam, that was pathetic."

And so are you, the both of ya, Terry fumed, still following Rikki's request.

"That makes two of you," Elliot grumbled. He upset Rikki and she was his friend. And no one messes with Elliot's friends.

Miriam: "Oh, come on, Zane. You're not seriously interested in her." Gestures to the café where Rikki was still inside. "I mean, she's not your type."

"And since he hasn't dated you once, I guess you're not either," Kim quipped.

"Why would my type be spoiled demonic blondes?" Zane asked. "Because you hanged out with them," Emma countered with a small grin, glad to see Zane was starting to defend Rikki. "Not anymore," Zane scoffed.

Zane: frowns. "And you are?"

"Ooh, nice one," Ash nodded in approval.

"She needed to be taken down a peg or two anyways," Zane crossed his arms.

Terry had to admit, seeing him defend Rikki and insult the bully did seem to change his mind. Only a tiny bit. Don't get it wrong, he was still very ticked off about the whole kiss shenanigan, but things were beginning to look up a little. As was the rest of the audience. Though some were still angry about the kiss, even they could tell it changed Zane for the better. It proved that even though he knows he made a mistake, he was still faithful to Rikki.

Miriam: looks taken aback before her face returns to normal. "Well, of course I am. I mean, you and me, we're good together. We always were." Down below them, Emma and Cleo were walking near the water's edge when they overhear the commotion between the two. They look over in their direction and watch them from the distance.

Zane: "Miriam, get this into your head. You were never my girlfriend, not now, not ever." Zane holds his hand out. "The locket."

"Tell it to her straight," Will nodded. "And yet she still couldn't get it in her head," Zane shook her head.

"At least it's starting to stick from the look on her face," Bella grinned.

Rikki smiled upon hearing this. Though she was nearby, she was still in the café, doing as Zane had asked, and did not hear the conversation going on between the two. She was happy to hear that Zane was defending her and telling Miriam for the last time that they were never ever going to be a couple.

[Miriam looks shocked at the statement. When the sound of beaded curtains could be heard, Miriam glances once more over his shoulder and sees Rikki standing there, watching them. Miriam narrows her eyes at her, then holds the locket up and drops it into her other hand. The jealous queen turns around and throws it out into the water. Zane tries to stop her, reaching out, but it was too late. Emma and Cleo watch it soar through the air. The locket hits the water and sinks to the bottom. Cleo looks back at Emma, the two girls in slight shock and curious as to how Miriam got the necklace.]

Zane: "No!"

"No!" echoed through the room, as almost everyone shouted it out at the same time as Zane. A few such as Neil, Lisa, Max, and even Charlotte and Annette reached out for it as if it were somehow going to come through the screen and they would catch it.

"Charlotte," Annette said. The daughter looks over at her mother. "I know you didn't get to say it ... but you were right," she hissed, glaring at the diva on-screen.

Max felt like his heart was breaking even more. That necklace, almost the same fate as Gracie's locket, being tossed into the ocean as if it were nothing. When in reality it was everything to them. But it was nothing to that girl, just as how he knows she is nothing to Zane. This scene brought back painful memories from fifty years ago, of the last time he saw that locket, when it fell into the depths of the bottom of the moonpool. He should've gone after that locket, he had fifty years to do so. He doesn't know why he didn't, but part of it most likely has to do with Gracie. Just like the memories, it was too painful.

Mrs. Chatham sighed, having similar thoughts as Max. Though she knew the locket was retrieved and returned, obviously since she held it in her hands later on; she was still upset that it was such a dilemma trying to get it from that troubling girl, only for it to be tossed away like it was nothing.

Neil and Lisa slowly lean back into their seats in defeat. They didn't understand why they were concerned about a necklace. Could it have to do with Mrs. Chatham? Or that maybe Emma and her friends care so much about it as well? Or maybe it's because of the connection it has to their daughter? They will probably never know.

Miriam: still looking out towards the water, jaw clenched. "I didn't say I'd give it to you. I only said I'd part with it." She faces back towards Zane. "Now no one can have it." Rikki looks away in frustration.

"Liar! Your exact words were 'I will give it to you for a kiss'!" Kim exclaimed. "She's right. She did say that," Don agreed. "If only I weren't too shocked by that I would have called her out on it," Zane sighed.

Rikki laughed, confusing some of them. "What's so funny?" Ash asked. "As bright as Miriam thinks she is, she doesn't realize that we still have our ways of retrieving it," Rikki smirked. "But how? It's got to be at least twenty or thirty feet under," Will exclaimed. The girls (plus Bella but hid it better) gave him a look that was asking if he was serious. "Really? Out of all people that couldn't figure it out? You've been obsessed with the whole mermaid thing the entire time and yet you don't get it?" Rikki rolled her eyes. "Oh," Will mouthed and nodded his head slowly in realization. Bella's look disappeared and a giggle took its place.

Emma: to Cleo, watching the group carefully. "I'll go get it. You wait here." Cleo nods and Emma runs down to the water.

Zane frowned, his head perking up slightly. There's no way. She couldn't have been down there as well. I would've seen her. There's no way I would've missed that a second time! The first time was when the boat sunk but he couldn't tell what it was by just the tail, so it didn't count. The red-hair incident doesn't count since he clearly saw a mermaid but didn't know it was her. Zane groaned in frustration, hoping that this wasn't the case.

Miriam: "See you." She walks away from Zane, who watches her. She pauses as she gets close to Rikki, who was scowling at her in annoyance, before she continues to walk away from them.

"That's a shame. She didn't finish her sentence. I believe what she meant to say was 'see you' never," Lewis corrected. "Too bad that wasn't the case," both Zane and Rikki mutter, thinking back to their end-of-school-year dance that was coming up soon.

"She thinks she won, but I know a walk of defeat when I see one," Kim smirked.

[When Miriam leaves, Rikki walks up to Zane, a disappointed look on her face.]

Zane: "Before you say anything, I know this is all my fault."

"Well at least he's owning up to it," Sam said. "That should've been the first thing he did before and after the kiss," Lisa mentioned, causing a few complaints to echo through the room about the kiss being brought back up. "Thanks for reminding them," Zane sighed. "How could we forget?" Kim scoffed.

Rikki: nods. "Yeah, it is."

Zane: "She told me she'd give me the locket. I should have known. I'm sorry. I was dumb to kiss her. I'm a total idiot."

That's something we can agree on, Terry glared, seeing how disappointed on-screen Rikki looked.

"It's going to take a whole lot more than apologizing to fix something like that, Zane," Harrison told him. He should know, after all, he did the same thing when he tried to get Zane's mother to stay.

Rikki: "I'm glad we've got that sorted." Turns to leave when Zane calls out to her again.

Zane: "Wait." Rikki turns back around and narrows her eyes at him. Looking as determined as ever, Zane bends down and starts taking off his shoes, his eyes never leaving sight of Rikki. "I'll get it for you." Tosses his shoes to the side and starts walking down the boardwalk.

All complaints from before come to a halt at those simple words and all eyes were now staring intensely at the screen. "Wait, what?" Harrison asked, a little dumbfounded, and out of his little stupor. This was a complete turn of events from just moments ago. First, he apologized, and now he was attempting to get the necklace? All this nonsense, for a necklace, now comes down to getting it for a girl. He really was a better man than him.

Terry frowned. What did he mean he'll get it for her? It's at least twenty feet down, that's not going to be an easy task. What was he saying though, there's no way Zane was going to get it. Just because he took his shoes off, and that Rikki was currently wearing said locket, doesn't mean he was the one who got it for her. If Emma really did go down there, then there was a bigger chance that she could have gotten it thanks to her powers.

"You really do care for her," a smile slowly formed on Max's face. Louise was right, he's nothing like Karl.

"But how are you going to get it?" Ash asked. "By swimming, duh," Zane said as if it should have been obvious; which it was. Rikki and the other girls also gave him an 'are you serious?' look. "Have some of us lost brain cells since we arrived?"

[Cleo's eyes widen as she realizes what Zane was doing then looks down to the water where Emma was currently swimming to the bottom and searching for the last piece of the missing set.]

"Oh no," came from quite a few people in the crowd, however, all of them having different tones to them. Shock and worry for Neil and Lisa, for their daughter who was currently at risk of being seen by Zane, if he were to truly go after the sunken treasure. Concern from Elliot due to Emma's safety. Frustration from Zane as he realized once again that he missed Emma. And despite the crazy looks Neil and Lisa were giving her, laughter from Emma due to Zane missing his mermaid once more. At this rate, it really was a game of tag.

Rikki: walks to the end of the connected boardwalk and stands by Zane. "Zane, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like he's doing?" Bella asked her. "To be honest, I wasn't sure at the time. The moment Zane took off his shoes, he completely lost me. It was so unlike him," Rikki shrugged. "Says the one who suddenly became obsessed with a locket," Zane chuckled. "Likewise, leach kisser," Rikki grinned.

Zane: "You want it, don't you?"

Rikki: confused. "Well, yeah, I want it."

Zane: grins. "That's all I need to know." And with that, he turns back towards the water. Cleo runs down the boardwalk and stands beside Rikki and watches Zane dive into the water. Emma sees Zane dive in, and scrambles away to hide.

"Emma, if you went down to search for it earlier, then why are you just now getting down there?" Lisa asked, trying to distract herself from her nerves. "Well since there were so many others around and we were near the café, I had to wait until the crowd died down. Couldn't exactly go out there when people were near the boardwalk," Emma explained.

Many of the girls awed at the sight, except for Rikki who had a bright giddily smile on her face. "That has got to be the best response ever," Bella clapped in excitement. Sure, she was worried for Emma and hoped that she was out of sight, but her excitement for Zane trying to win Rikki back won a hundred times over. It was the sweetest thing a guy could do for his girl. Even Sam could agree to that.

Terry watched in shock as the boy dove down into the water, the anger from earlier decreasing at a faster rate than he expected. He was still mad, but it was not as bad as it was before. It was more of an irritated and trying not to punch kind of anger. He really did that for her? He ruined his fancy clothes and hair, and dove into the possibly cold water for her? He tried to get the locket, all for her, as he's been trying to do all along. Zane Bennett certainly was something, whether it was good or bad, he hasn't figured out yet. But maybe Rikki was right about him needing to stay silent for a bit and just watch the magic happen. Because the magic was starting to work its way through right now, and Zane Bennett was beginning to make it grow just a little stronger.

"This is even better than a date lying his jacket in a mud puddle for the girlfriend," Sam sighed in admiration. "Please, that's more fairytale than mermaids," Denman scoffed with a laugh. "You know, I still don't understand that. Why can't a girl just walk around the puddle instead of going through it and ruining the guy's jacket?" Lewis questioned. "It's the magic in it, Lewis. Don't ruin the moment," Cleo smiled and shook her head.

Cleo: to Rikki, her eyes wide. "Are you crazy? Emma's down there." But Rikki paid her no attention, as she stared down into the water in bewilderment at what Zane was doing for her.

"One, how was I supposed to know? Two, yeah, I really didn't care," Rikki commented. "I can tell," Emma said, giving her a look. "Well, I wasn't in on your plan, so I had no clue you were going after it either. If I did know I would've stopped him. It's not my fault you guys didn't tell me," Rikki argued. "She has a point, dear," Lisa interjected, though still nervous. "We didn't exactly have time to tell you during the whole Miriam conflict," Cleo grimaced.

[Emma swims behind a post covered in barnacles under the pier before Zane could see her. She watches as Zane reaches the bottom and begins digging his hands through the sandy bottom, puffs of sand spreading through the water. He looks around for a few more seconds before pushing up from the bottom and heads back to the top. He breaks through the surface gasping for air and wipes the salty water out of his eyes.]

"Wow, you were really determined," Kim said, a bit impressed.

"Why can't a guy do that for me?" Bella muttered to herself, not noticing Will sneaking a glance her way.

Zane groaned in annoyance, rubbing his head through his hair. "Why do you keep doing this to me?" he asked to no one in particular, yet Emma knew it was for her. "Why do you keep doing stupid things?" she shot back with a laugh, Cleo and Rikki joined along.

"So close yet so far," Denman sighed. Though she knew what was coming soon, it was soon her turn to feel the pain of regret and vengeful anger from others. And she knew she shouldn't, for she surely deserved it, but she still felt ... scared.

Cleo: and Rikki watching him still from the pier. "Forget about it, Zane! You're never going to find it."

Zane: turns to her in the water. "Yeah? Watch me." He smiles before ducking back under. Cleo shakes her head in disbelief while Rikki's smile widens in enthusiasm, all thoughts from before vanished.

"That's right. Never give up," Max agreed. Just like I never should have given up on Gracie. I should've gone after that necklace, just like him.

Terry, though later on, he would never admit it, let a small smile slip on his face. Zane was trying to prove himself. And from the bright smile on Rikki's face, it was working. He was making his little girl hopeful again and healing that broken heart. Rikki was right, deep down somewhere inside, he was a good kid. And very stubborn from the looks of it. No, not stubborn. Determined.

[On the way down, Zane pinches his nose and let's go as he continues to search the bottom for the missing locket. Finally, his eyes lock on et (get it? :D). There, on the sandy bottom, lied the necklace. Zane grins and picks it up gently, then swims back to the top. Emma watches him go before she swims away and disappears in a flash.]

"Yes!" Ash shouted, his fist hitting the air. "Way to go!" Don cheered along with the rest of the crowd. All thoughts from earlier, about the horrific deal, gone. Rikki was getting the locket back, that's all that mattered now.

Terry nodded in approval, impressed. Guess some things can change.

"Why didn't you just leave while he was distracted?" Charlotte asked Emma. "I wanted to see what he was doing, I was curious," Emma shrugged. "Besides I didn't want to risk him seeing me." "Yes, because that barnacle pole definitely kept you from being seen," Lewis sarcastically said. "Well, it worked considering I somehow didn't see her," Zane sighed in frustration.

[Zane pops up next to the edge of the pier. As he grabs on to climb aboard, Rikki and Cleo notice the locket in his hands. Cleo hides her surprise. Zane climbs up and stands in front of them, soaking wet. Cleo takes a step back, taking notice of the dripping clothes.]

Zane: holds the locket up. "I got it." Rikki's smile widens even more, love showing in her eyes. "I'm really sorry about all that other stuff. Here, take it. I got it for you." Rikki, still smiling at him, reaches her hand out, and nearly touches the wet locket that was dripping water.

"Rikki, don't!" Neil gasped in worry. It was bad enough that Emma got caught red-haired, er, red-handed – they didn't need another mermaid getting outed somehow. "Alright, everyone, relax. I know what I'm doing," Rikki playfully rolled her eyes.

"Did you also forget that you were a mermaid at the time?" Bella raised an eyebrow.

Cleo: eyes the locket carefully then gives Rikki a warning look. "Rikki, it's wet." Rikki ignores her, and as her smile widens, so does Zane's. Zane lets go of the locket, and as soon as he does, Rikki turns her hand sideways, and the wet locket narrowly misses her hand and hits the pier.

Terry and Neil sighed in relief. As happy as he was for his daughter finally getting the locket back, he didn't want her secret to get revealed on the same day. Zane knew of course, but he knew it couldn't have been during that time as well, that much was obvious.

"Thanks for the reminder, Cleo, but I knew," Rikki chuckled. "Well next time can you make it a little obvious?" Cleo sighed in annoyance. "If I made it too obvious, he would've been suspicious," Rikki explained.

[Emma runs up behind them, now completely dry and transformed back to normal. Zane frowns as he sees Rikki missed catching the locket and Cleo bites her cheek in anticipation. Rikki bends down to 'grab' the locket. As she does, she quickly forms a fist and dries the locket. As soon as the locket was dried off, she grabs it and stands back up. Cleo gives her a knowing look, which Zane notices.]

"Clever," Sam smiled. "You got a few tricks up your sleeve," Max chuckled.

"Seems like you're the one who needs some lessons on sneaking, Cleo," Rikki teased.

"Wow, Emma. How'd you dry off so quick?" Elliot asked. "Oh, we have a few towels in a couple of hidden spots, so if there's an emergency or something and we happen to be nearby we use those when no one's looking. There's a few hidden under a board on the pier by the canals," Emma grinned as she explained this to her brother and apparently shocked parents. "Well now we know what happened to the missing towels," Lisa hummed, including Don and Bev, who also noticed a while back that some of their towels went missing.

"Tails and powers right in front of me and yet I still don't see it," Zane huffed and shook his head. In the end, even he couldn't help but laugh.

Zane: frowns. "What's going on? You're all acting weird."

"I've been saying that since day one, and now someone finally realizes it?" Kim exclaimed. "Your weird was over them claiming to be evil mermaids, part of which turned out to be true. My weird was them giving each other weird looks as if they knew something I didn't, which also turned out to be true," Zane informed.

"The only thing that was going on was you just made their days," Mrs. Chatham beamed, happy to finally see the necklace in Rikki's hand.

Rikki: shakes her head with a small smile. "Nothing. Nothing at all." Emma smiles behind her back, happy to see Rikki with the necklace. Zane furrows his eyebrows. "Thanks a lot for this. It means a lot."

"And I meant every word," Rikki proudly mentioned, making Zane smile.

Rikki: changes subject. "So, I'll catch you later?" Zane looks at her in surprise before shaking his head in irritation and walks off, unsure of what just happened.

"Did you just blow him off?" Will laughed along with everyone else. "More like it was the other way around. I never got an answer!" Rikki chuckled. "I was soaking wet and exhausted from that entire day. I was done with everything up to that point," Zane shook his head. "Two words: your. Fault," Rikki raised an amused eyebrow at him.

[Cleo and Emma gather around Rikki and give her an amused, yet curious look. Rikki holds the locket up to them in victory before noticing Cleo's face.]

Rikki: "You didn't honestly think I was gonna give up our secret to Zane, did you?" Cleo shrugs. Rikki looks shocked then grins. "You did? Oh, come on. Is there no trust?" Rikki walks in between them before walking away. Cleo and Emma smile at each other before following after her.

"Eh, a little bit," Kim wavered her hand.

"It's hard to tell with you. You're a very hard person to read," Bev commented. "You got that right," Neil mumbled. "I consider that a compliment," Rikki grinned.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Later on, the girls meet back up with Mrs. Chatham at the beach. The four of them sat on the grassy beach as they listened to the waves and discussed earlier events before Rikki finally confesses what's been on her chest. The girls sat across from Mrs. Chatham. Cleo had her knees brought to her chest while Emma lay on her stomach.]

Rikki: to Mrs. Chatham. "I'm really sorry about Julia. But I'm not her." Holds the locket out to her.

"I never said you were here. Similar in some ways, but different on the inside," Mrs. Chatham said with a small smile. "Guess there can be some changes fifty years later," Max told her. "Good thing history doesn't always repeat itself."

Mrs. Chatham: takes the locket from her and holds it in her hands. "I know, dear. I know." She looks back up at her, then looks at each one of them before facing Rikki, knowing that it was time for these lockets to take a new journey. "This, belongs to you." She holds the locket back out to Rikki, and Rikki looks at her, stunned silent. "You kept the secret. You deserve this, Rikki." Rikki looks unsure until Mrs. Chatham holds it closer for her to take. Then a grateful smile widens on Rikki's face, and she happily accepts the locket.

Terry looked surprised, just like Rikki. So, this was how she actually got the locket. Not from Miriam, not from Zane. But given to her by her mentor, Mrs. Chatham.

"You, gave it to her?" Max asked. "Rikki earned it. After everything she went through, after everything they all went through, it was only right for it to belong to her," Mrs. Chatham grinned. "But I thought it was Julia's locket," Annette frowned, thinking of the same thing for Gracie's. "It was Julia's. But just like they are gone, it was time for those to move on to another adventure as well. They needed to be together again, just like they were always meant to be," Mrs. Chatham explained. "It is now, Rikki's locket, and Cleo's locket, and now Emma's locket." Everyone frowned in confusion until they turned back to the screen where she was pointing.

Mrs. Chatham: chuckles then holds a hand up to her own locket, thinking long about her next step. "And this ..." She unlatches the locket from off her neck and holds it in the palm of her hand, taking one last longing look at it, sketching it into her memory, then holds it out to Emma. "Is yours."

Lisa looks shocked. "So that's how she got it," she whispered, realizing that the entire time, Emma was wearing Mrs. Chatham's locket. "Yup," Emma smiled proudly as she held her necklace. Everyone turned towards them, seeing the necklaces that were around their necks and the lights of the screen reflecting off of them.

"Three of a kind. A set, finally back together again," Max announced with a smile as he looked at the necklaces both on and off the screen.

Annette had to admit, though she still thought of it as her mothers, it was nice to see them belonging as a group again to their friendship. And they seem to take good care of them as well. She believed Cleo would be a good holder for it. And besides, it will always hold her mother's memories, even if she's no longer here.

Emma: looks surprised and glances at her friends, where Cleo and Rikki laid down next to her, before facing Mrs. Chatham with a sad look and shaking her head. "No, I couldn't."

"Of course, you can. They belong together. And you earned it as much as they did," Mrs. Chatham told her. "She's right. You've worked hard as much as they did to keep the secret. You guys faced many challenges and accomplished many things, all while sticking together and keeping the secret. You deserve that necklace," Max agreed. While others agreed with him, Denman couldn't help but wonder why Max would know so much about the meaning of those necklaces and how he understood it all.

"I was just worried about it. The last time I had a locket Miriam tried to steal it from me," Emma explained in a sad tone. "I don't think Miriam will be pulling any more jewelry tricks for a while," Zane smirked. "Not after that last fiasco," Harrison chuckled. "If she tries to steal yours again, we'll gladly have a talk with her," Neil told her, Lisa nodding along.

Mrs. Chatham: "Don't be silly. Besides, it feels right that they're all together." Emma smiled in relief and gently takes the necklace from Mrs. Chatham. Cleo smiles next to her as Emma admires the locket.

"You were right, Mrs. C. They do feel right all together," Cleo beamed.

If only there was a fourth, Bella sighed in longing. She could imagine her own necklace. Just like theirs, with a picture of all four of them inside. The only difference is that it would have a green jewel instead.

Mrs. Chatham: to all of them. "The secret's yours now."

Emma: "We'll take good care of them."

Mrs. Chatham: smiles. "Yes. I think you will." The girls smile at each other in excitement as she laughs, being reminded of her and her friends' younger selves. She could imagine it. A young Louise, Gracie, and Julia lying down in the sand by the moonpool, smiling and laughing, all while their lockets hang from their necks.

"And that's how we got the necklaces," Cleo said as it ended. "Really? I would've never known," Kim sarcastically said. "No, you wouldn't," Cleo said in a deadpanned tone.

"Considering they're still wearing them, I think they've been taking care of them quite well," Don chuckled. "Yeah. Emma hardly ever takes hers off. She wouldn't even let me touch it," Lisa laughed as well.

"Jewelry that lasted fifty years. It needs some proper care," Sam nodded.

"Okay dad, now you can talk," Rikki sighed as she looked over at her father. Zane tensed up as he saw Terry staring at him. He stayed like that for a long time, his head in his hand, until finally, he spoke.

"I don't like what you did to Rikki by kissing that other girl –." "Completely understandable," Zane cut in rapidly. "But," Terry raised his voice slightly, making Zane flinch. "You did make up for it by getting that locket back, even if it was under some very extreme measures. It made her happy and she was willing to forgive you. So ... I guess I will also," Terry finished. Zane couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief. "Just this once. Any other tricks like that and trust me boy, you'll wish you were back on the Lorelei," Terry said in a deep voice, making Zane's face go pale. "Dad, quit scaring him," Rikki groaned in annoyance. "It's just a wee little warning darling," Terry told her.

"Alright, shall we move on?" Harrison asked, wanting to keep Zane from getting even more freaked out from a fellow father. If he were in Terry's shoes and he was the one with a daughter, he would be the same way. "We shall," Lewis said as he carefully took the offered remote from Mrs. Chatham and pressed play.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

C x C By C

Fanfiction

704 51 18
Cato & Clove short stories/ Imagines/ Texts/ Social media- Anything I feel like. - Read the A/N for additional information. - Im also open to sugge...
924 12 22
What if Rikki had a twin sister that was the polar opposite of her? What if Cleo and Lewis never liked each other as more than a friend? Read to find...
138K 5.9K 61
[ COMPLETE ] ❝there is no such thing as fate in this world. it's simply a combination of one person circumstances colliding with another.❞ [ 𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧...