A Wish on a Full Moon

By FlareSouth511

After Cleo accidentally grants Kim's wish on the night of a full moon, everyone including enemies, family, an... More

Kim's Wish (Part 1)
Kim's Wish (Part 2)
The Letter
Metamorphosis (Part 1)
Metamorphosis (Part 2)
Pool Party (Part 1)
Pool Party (Part 2)
Catch of the Day (Part 1)
Catch of the Day (Part 2)
Time to Talk
Party Girls (Part 1)
Party Girls (Part 2)
Something Fishy (Part 1)
Something Fishy (Part 2)
Young Love (Part 1)
Young Love (Part 2)
Moon Spell (Part 1)
Moon Spell (Part 2)
Roommates
The Denman Affair (Part 1)
The Denman Affair (Part 2)
Dangerous Waters (Part 2)
The Camera Never Lies (Part 1)
The Camera Never Lies (Part 2)
Sink or Swim (Part 1)
Sink or Swim (Part 2)
The Siren Effect (Part 1)
The Siren Effect (Part 2)
Shipwrecked (Part 1)
Shipwrecked (Part 2)
Breaking the Ice
Are You Ready?
Surprise! (Part 1)
Surprise! (Part 2)
The Big Chill (Part 1)
The Big Chill (Part 2)
Lovesick (Part 1)
Lovesick (Part 2)
Under the Weather (Part 1)
Under the Weather (Part 2)
Bad Moon Rising (Part 1)
Bad Moon Rising (Part 2)
To Forgive or Forget
Hurricane Angela (Part 1)
Hurricane Angela (Part 2)
Hook, Line and Sinker (Part 1)
Hook, Line and Sinker (Part 2)
Red Herring (Part 1)
Red Herring (Part 2)
One Case Closed, Another One Opened
Party of Four
Fish Out of Water (Part 1)
Fish Out of Water (Part 2)
In Too Deep (Part 1)
In Too Deep (Part 2)
Love Potion #9 (Part 1)
Love Potion #9 (Part 2)
Dr. Danger (Part 1)
Dr. Danger (Part 2)
A Twist in the Tail (Part 1)
A Twist in the Tail (Part 2)
Grief, Acceptance, & Forgiveness
Season 2 - Stormy Weather (Part 1)
Stormy Weather (Part 2)
Control (Part 1)
Control (Part 2)
The One That Got Away (Part 1)
The One That Got Away (Part 2)
Fire and Ice (Part 1)
Fire and Ice (Part 2)
Hocus Pocus (Part 1)
Hocus Pocus (Part 2)
What the Future Holds

Dangerous Waters (Part 1)

553 18 2
By FlareSouth511

I do not own H2O: Just Add Water or any of the characters.

Chapter 22: Dangerous Waters (part 1)

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Emma kneels next to the fish tank in Cleo's room, watching the wondrous creatures swim around. She stands up and sits on the bed next to Cleo, who is sniffling and holding a box, crying from the loss of her wonderful pet. Emma wraps an arm around her shoulder. While Rikki sits back in a chair behind them, on her phone.]

Cleo: sniffs and nods. "I guess he was pretty old. But it's still such a shock when it happens."

"What happened?" Lisa asked. "Is everything okay?" Will frowned. "Everything's fine. I just – well, I was upset. My fish, Pluto, died that morning. I was a little emotional," Cleo sighed. "A little?" Kim muttered, earning a warning glare from Bev. "Oh, I'm sorry, Cleo," Annette told her, receiving a small smile from the brunette in return.

Cleo: "I'm sorry. I'm trying to be brave."

Emma: looks at her. "You don't have to, not at a time like this."

Cleo: "All the great times the two of us had together. I can't believe they're over. Poor Pluto." Looks down at the box, getting even more emotional as Emma pulls her closer, giving her a small hug. She lets a shaky breath out. "He was such a good fish."

"He's just a fish," Kim stated. "Kim, he wasn't just a fish. He was my fish. A friend," Cleo said, getting a little sad for having to relive this memory. "You always were the friendly one with sea creatures," Rikki jokingly said, trying to help her feel better.

Rikki: looks over at them, confused, holding up her phone. "How? Like, it was just a fish." Emma glances at her before looking back at Cleo.

"Thank you! My point exactly," Kim huffed, as Cleo rolls her eyes in annoyance. "You just don't understand. I knew him for so long. It was almost as if we had a connection," Cleo said. "Uh, you do have a connection. The tails, remember?" Bella said jokingly, looking over at her.

"I meant before the tails. I knew him longer than that. The tails might have connected me more to the ocean and other sea creatures like the dolphins, but my connection with Pluto was longer than that," Cleo explained. She feels connected to them? Lucky her. I wonder what it would be like to be friends with them. Maybe even dolphins. I wish I could just get over this stupid fear, Charlotte thought, a little jealous of her.

Cleo: "He was loyal. He was honest."

"Loyal? Honest? You sound like you speak to him," Zane frowned, thinking that she was going crazy. "I did. As I said, it was almost as if we had a connection," Cleo grinned. "You can talk to fish?!" Kim yelled. "No. It's more like we can sense them and what they're feeling," Emma corrected.

"Wow. That's insane. Good insane I mean," Will said. "It's not even a power though. It's just like the same way when you can tell your dog, or something is sad or sick. You can just tell," Emma replied. "Well, we are half fish. So, it would make sense for us to be able to have a connection with them," Rikki shrugged.

Bella smiled, knowing what it was like. "Mermaids always did have a bond with the creatures of the sea, especially dolphins. Sounds like their 'connection' got stronger when she became a part of their world," Mrs. Chatham smiled, surprising the others.

Could dolphins be loyal and honest too? Charlotte thought curiously.

I wonder if this what Mrs. Chatham meant about the sea perch during the first full moon, Cleo thought, a smile forming.

Rikki: looking at her phone. "Did he, do tricks?" Emma rolls her eyes.

Cleo: looks down and sniffs. "No, of – of course not."

Rikki: leans her head back. "Did he, I don't know, what do fish do?" Emma turns and gives her a look.

"Eat, swim, repeat," Ash commented. Cleo rolls her eyes. "They did more than just that. They can be a great friend, comforting me in times when I needed someone. He always helped me feel better."

"They're fish. They don't do anything," Kim sighed, earning another look from her mom.

Cleo: "The same things we do, but in water."

Rikki: "Sorry. Just asking." Closes her phone and puts it down. "So, what are we doing, binning or flushing?" Emma turns to her, glaring.

Cleo: on the brink of tears, she gets up and walks to the bathroom. "Neither."

"Wow, way to make her feel better," Lewis told her. "I'm sorry that I have no emotions toward pets," Rikki sarcastically said. "You don't?" Will asked, a little shocked about it. "Nope. Never had one," she bluntly replied. "I don't know about that, Rikki. You warmed up to the dolphins and the other sea life," Cleo grinned at her.

"Don't forget, she did remember that one fish during this week. Maybe she got a connection with it too," Emma smirked, earning a glare from Rikki. "Alright, alright. Enough with that, let's continue," Rikki blushed, causing Emma and Cleo to laugh at her reaction.

Emma: to Rikki. "You know how much time she puts into those fish. She really loves them."

Rikki: looks between her and the bathroom where Cleo was at. "Hello, fish have no long-term memory. They completely forget who she is every three seconds. That is not a basis for a relationship."

"While although those facts are true. It doesn't mean you can't form a bond with them," Max pointed out.

Then what about ours, Rikki? Zane thought, glancing at her.

Emma: narrows her eyes. "If it's not about you, you're not interested." Looks away from her. "You can be really self-centered sometimes."

"Hypocrite," Rikki muttered, Emma overhearing. "Excuse me?" she asked, frowning. "You heard me. You were very 'self-centered' with the speech of yours for your dad's party," she lowers her voice as she speaks the next one, not wanting others to overhear her. "And not to mention, that new power of yours you didn't tell us about." "I just wanted to celebrate my dad's birthday! And I already told you. It. Wasn't. Me," Emma spat, keeping her voice low as well when speaking about a certain topic. Cleo sighs, not wanting them to start arguing again. "Are they really going to argue over an argument?" Sam asked. "Those two? Most definitely," she replied.

Rikki: "That is so not true."

Emma: turns back to her again. "Oh, yeah? What was the fish's name?"

Rikki: hesitates, trying to remember but becomes completely clueless as Emma turns away again. Rikki finally looks up at her after a few seconds and answers. "Bubbles?" Emma gives her a look and Rikki raises her arms in surrender. "I give up."

Emma: "Exactly."

"See what I mean?" Emma said, looking at Rikki. Rikki was about to speak, but Cleo cuts her off. "Don't you two start again. I don't want to hear it," she said, pointing angrily at the two of them. Rikki closes her mouth and crosses her arms.

"Bubbles? Seriously, Rikki?" Lewis complained. "You couldn't even listen to their conversation for one second?" "Hey, in my defense. I didn't even know Cleo until the secret. Emma and Cleo knew each other longer" Rikki pointed out.

"Seems like you're the one with the memory of a fish," Terry chuckled at his daughter, who playfully pouts at him. "Don't beat her up for it. After all, she did make up for it," Cleo smiled, thinking of the new 'friend' she got that same week.

Cleo: walks out of the bathroom with a tissue and sits next to Emma, who wraps her arms around Cleo's shoulder again. "I'm sorry." They hug as Rikki looks at them before standing up and walks to the door. She opens the door, and glances at them one more time before leaving, shutting the door behind her.

"Don't you guys think you were making her feel left out?" Lisa asked. "She didn't know you two for that long. Did you think she would learn everything about you both all at once?" she asked, looking over at her daughter. Emma looks down, feeling guilty about how she always reacted towards Rikki; not just that, however, but the confusion of the jell-o that appeared out of nowhere last night. Could she really do it? "I didn't think about that. Sorry, Rikki," she admitted sheepishly. "It's cool. I could've made more of an effort," Rikki sighed. "Wow, I think that's the quickest you two made up," Cleo smiled, earning a whack to the arm from the both of them, making her laugh.

"No need to be brave, like Emma said. It's hard losing someone, or something, you love," Annette told her, causing Charlotte to think of her grandmother once more.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Emma and Cleo go outside, the box resting in Cleo's hands, to the small pier by her house. They stand side by side, looking down at the water.]

Cleo: looks to Emma. "Should we wait for Rikki?"

Emma: pats Cleo's shoulder. "She might be a while."

"Where were you?" Zane asked. "I was making a mistake by trying to get Cleo a new fish friend," Rikki explained. "Isn't that a good thing though?" Ash asked her, a little confused on why she said it was a mistake. "Not when it was the wrong kind of fish," Rikki said glumly.

Cleo: looks down at the box and takes the lid off it, where Pluto laid down on some tissues. "Well, Pluto, I guess this is it. I just wanted to say thanks. Thanks for being a great companion, a confidant. I could tell you anything. Thanks for being a great, fish."

"That's some nice words to say for a fish funeral," Will joked, but received nothing but silence. "I don't think that was the right time," Bella whispered to him.

"It's so weird that you can basically communicate with them. The powers I could get used to. But to be able to know how they're feeling? It's gonna take a bit," Elliot told her. "How does that work?" Denman asked. "I guess through the mind. Like we said already, we can just feel it," Cleo shrugged, unsure for herself, but also not wanting Denman to know every single detail about them. It kind of reminded her of the time Mrs. Chatham brought up the topic of whales to Lewis. About why they sing and what they were singing about.

Cleo: Emma holds the lid for her while Cleo takes Pluto out of the box and holds him over the water. "And now, return to the deep." She drops him into the water, with the intentions of him to sink, only for him to float on top of the water in front of them. They both wince as she looks at Emma. "Somehow I thought he'd sink."

Zane can't help but chuckle. Lewis hits him aside the head and tells him to hush it.

"Unfortunately, that's not the case," Max winced along with them, feeling bad for the poor girl.

Cleo: looks down at the box and sighs, before looking back up at Emma. "Is it alright if we have a minute silence?"

Emma: smiles. "Of course, it is." They remain quiet and look down at the water, where Pluto remains floating when a call from behind them interrupts them.

Rikki: "Hey, guys."

"He's still just a fish," Kim muttered, looking away. "Just leave her be, Kim," Don leaned over and whispered in her ear.

"You have terrible timing, as always," Lewis told her. "Sorry, Cleo. I didn't know," Rikki flinched. "It's alright. And besides, we should've waited for you," Cleo said.

Rikki: walks up the plank with a bag in her hand, towards them, where Emma looks annoyed by her call out. "Don't start without me."

Emma: looks at her annoyed, with it laced in her tone. "We've already finished."

Rikki: stands next to Cleo, feeling awkward. "Oh."

"Not yet. You still needed to do the moment of silence," Ash pointed out. "The moment was ruined for it," Emma told him, making Rikki feel bad.

Rikki: puts a small smile on her face and holds her hands behind her back. "I got you something." They look at her and her smile fades. "Now, I know it can't be easy losing your pet," tilts her head towards Emma. "Pluto, like that. So, I got you this." Holds up the bag, which reveals a fish moving around in the water. Cleo looks away from it and sighs.

"Ah, so that's what you meant," Don realized. "What? What's wrong with it? It's a fish," Sam said, confused. "It's a freshwater fish. Cleo only collects saltwater fish," Bev explained. I'm surprised you remember that since you didn't even bother to think about how we felt when you left, Kim thought bitterly.

"So, you do remember his name," Emma teased, but Rikki doesn't laugh, only a small frown forms on her face.

Rikki: looks down at the fish. "Now, he's not an exact match." Cleo nods along and Emma pouts, irritated about Rikki's thoughtlessness. "But the guy at the pet store said he'd be just as much fun to talk to. And I thought you could call him Pluto two in honor." Smiles at her.

Cleo: "Right. Thanks." She walks away and back to her house while Emma looks out at the water.

"He's nowhere near close to a match," Charlotte said, frowning.

"Not good with attention to detail either, huh?" Neil mumbled.

"Pluto two? Really?" Bella asked her. "Yeah, at the time, I thought it would be a good idea," Rikki winced, rubbing her neck.

Rikki: drops her arms and sighs, talking to Emma. "Now what?"

Emma: looks at her disappointingly. "Cleo collects saltwater fish, not freshwater." Walks off, leaving Rikki alone as she looks at the fish sadly then shakes her head.

"I'm sorry, Cleo. I didn't know," Rikki apologized. "It's alright. I still appreciated the thought," Cleo said, giving her a small smile.

"To be fair, I know nothing about fish," Rikki mentioned.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Back in her room, Cleo crouches next to her fish tank, watching the other fish while talking to them.]

Cleo: "I know. You miss him as much as I do, don't you?" She stands up and sits back down on the bed, depressed when someone knocks on her door.

Charlotte feels bad, never realizing that she could care so much for some fish. And not just them, but all fish. No wonder she works at the marine park. She really admires them.

Bev looks down at her daughter, knowing that watching this day happen all over again must hurt her a little. Although Rikki was hurting a bit more due to her regrets for this unforgettable week.

Denman's eyes widen, understanding what she meant by the connection now. It wasn't just a sensibility; it was an emotional connection. As if they understand what they were going through, and feels the same way. Mrs. Chatham smirks, looking over at her, knowing that she was beginning to understand it now.

Cleo: "Who is it?"

Rikki: opens the door, peeking in. "The idiot."

Cleo: looks at the door then back at her fish. "Come in."

"Well, at least you admit it," Emma chuckled. Rikki nudges her in the arm but couldn't help but laugh herself.

Rikki: quietly shuts the door, then looks over at Cleo painfully. "Cleo, look, I'm sorry." Sits on her bed and Cleo looks over at her. "I didn't know about the saltwater thing. I should of. And I didn't. What can I say?"

"Apologizing. That's a good start," Sam said. "And a whole lot better than the wrong type of fish," Will stated. Cleo looks over at him. "You're not helping."

Cleo: winces. "That's ok. I know you're not good with the whole empathy thing."

Rikki: "Yeah, well, it's," she pauses, then looks at Cleo, surprised. "You think?"

Cleo: nods. "Oh, yeah."

"Sorry, Rikki. That came out wrong," Cleo said apologetically. "Well, you weren't wrong. I didn't handle people's feelings well," Rikki told her.

Rikki: "You mean I'm self-centered?"

Cleo: shakes head. "No, it's just that other people's feelings aren't really on your radar." Cleo looks at her. "But I'm not complaining. Sometimes I think I'm too worried about other people's feelings."

"That's an understatement. You're always overthinking," Kim smiled. Cleo returns it.

Rikki: sighs. "Yeah, maybe."

Cleo: "But I know you mean well, Rikki. That's the main thing." They look over at the fish. "Right, guys?" The fish continues swimming around. Rikki smiles, sensing something, but also getting an idea. Cleo looks back at her and nods. "They think so, too."

"Could you do that too, Rikki? The whole, sensing thing with them?" Terry asked. "Eh, I mean sometimes, I guess. Though I don't think of it like that," Rikki explained.

Rikki: nods. "Oh, I'm glad the fish approve. I'll, I'll try to be worthy."

Cleo: raises eyebrows. "There you go again." Rikki's smile falters.

"I'll try to get better," Rikki joked. You already did, Zane thought.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Later at sea, past the many schools of fish, Rikki speeds through with a small bag in her hand, coming to a stop as she sees the many different fish. She looks around while swimming until she spots one that catches her eye.]

"What were you planning?" Terry asked suspiciously, knowing that she can get some crazy ideas. "I was wanting to get Cleo a saltwater fish. So, I did," she smirked.

"You went all the way out to sea to find her one?" Bella asked. "Yup. And it was free," Rikki smiled. "And also, he looked just like Pluto too," Cleo pointed out.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[At the marina, Rikki walks by with a beautiful striped, black, white, and yellow fish in a clear bag filled with water. She continues walking until she hears someone walking up the plank with a box in hand, whistling at her.]

'Barry': whistles. "Nice."

Rikki: turns to him, disgusted. "Real original."

"Excuse me?!" Terry and Zane yelled. Emma looks over at Zane, frowning, curious as to why he would yell. Zane quickly looks down, realizing what he said and tries to avoid unwanted eyes. Emma was about to ask him why when Rikki quickly explains to her dad what he meant. "Relax, dad. He was talking about the fish. Turns out it was a rare kind," Rikki said but tensed up upon seeing 'him' again. Terry relaxed at that, settling back into his seat, but kept his eyes on the whistler.

'Barry': "Sorry. It's just such a beautiful specimen."

Rikki: stops walking and slowly turns around, clueless by what he meant. Until she looks down at the fish and realizes it. "Oh, right."

"Took you a bit there, Rikki," Cleo joked. "Well, I never had someone say that before," Rikki said, rolling her eyes. Before? Zane thought, wondering what she meant by that.

'Barry': walks over to her on the pavement. "So where did you get it?"

Rikki: "I know a spot."

"A good excuse. Not a lot of detail, plain and simple. Like it should be," Ash nodded. "So, you're an expert huh?" Neil said, looking over at him. "Uh, no?" Ash said, chuckling nervously. "Liar. Where's the excuse?" Kim mocked, causing her sister to laugh.

'Barry': switches the box into his other hand. "It's just I work for the marine park. Part of my job is to breed rare fish like that." Points to the fish and she looks down at it. "My name's Barry Rollins by the way."

Rikki: smiles and shakes his hand. "Rikki."

"Why would you get her a rare fish like that?" Sam asked in concern. "Well, I would say it was because she's a 'one of a kind' joke, but it was really just to apologize with and so she would quit moping around. Plus, I didn't know it was rare. Like I said earlier, I know nothing about fish," Rikki told her.

"That liar," Cleo scowled. Oh, he's good, Emma thought, narrowing her eyes at the screen.

"He works there? Do you know him, Cleo?" Don asked. "Nope. He lied. He doesn't work at the marine park," Cleo glared at the screen. "Why would he lie?" Bev asked cautiously. "You'll see," Rikki said hesitantly, letting out a breath. Feeling a little strange about seeing him again and hoping this episode would end soon.

'Barry': "You wouldn't be willing to let us have that specimen there, would you?"

Rikki: smiles widely and blushes, before looking down at it. "Sorry, it's got someone else's name on it."

Cleo smiled. Despite knowing he was a criminal and that Rikki was put through his scams, she was still glad that Rikki saved that one for her first.

"Well, that was nice of you to save it for Cleo," Lisa said.

'Barry': "Oh, that's a shame. I would have paid you a good price for it." He puts the box back in both of his hands and walks by her.

Rikki: "Pay?" smile falters and she looks out at the boat, realizing that she just turned down a job offer.

"That sounds a little shady. Especially since he doesn't work there," Harrison commented. "That's because he was shady," Emma sighed. "How was that shady?" Bella asked Harrison. "He was offering her a job out in the open. Knowing nothing about her and vice versa, or even about the job. He didn't give a lot of detail," Harrison remarked. "He could've just thought that she was really good at her work," Bella tried to offer. "Oh, he thought I was good alright. Good enough to fool," Rikki said, narrowing her eyes. Rikki's blood boiled at the sight of him. She couldn't wait to see her payback, but at the same time, she regretted every moment of it. Risking their safety and their secret? Was it worth it just for a little bit of revenge?

Terry looks at her carefully, a little worried about what this all leads to. Did she do something wrong?

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[The three of them watch the fish swim around in its new home inside Cleo's room. Cleo sits in front of the tank, watching it in admiration. All her sadness, gone. Rikki sits backwards in her chair, while Lewis and Emma sit on her bed, the latter cross-legged.]

Cleo: turns to look up at her. "Thank you so much, Rikki. He's so cool." Rikki smiles. "He's a little quieter than Pluto. But he'll settle in."

"So, it's with any fish," Denman assumed. "Yup. I guess a part of being a mermaid," Cleo sighed. "That actually sounds kind of cool," Elliot said. "Well, we are half fish. It's a must if we are going to be one of them," Emma joked. "Comes in handy too. Especially for catching a criminal," Rikki muttered.

Rikki: "Oh, who wants a noisy fish anyway?"

"They're all quiet," Kim scoffed. "Not to us," the trio said, knowing when their sea friends need help or are just being friendly.

Lewis: leans forward. "It's quite a rare specimen."

Cleo: "He's gorgeous."

"It is beautiful," Charlotte said, giving her a small smile. She might not have a fondness for dolphins, but she does know a beautiful sea creature when she sees one. "Thanks," Cleo said, returning the smile.

Rikki: "Yep, nothing but the best."

Cleo: looks over at her and shakes her head. "You must have gone to so much trouble. You can only get these fish from licensed breeders. He must have cost you heaps." Rikki's smile widens.

"Or you could get one from the sea as Rikki has shown us," Lewis pointed out, earning a glare from the blonde being mentioned.

Lewis: gains interest in Cleo's new information and turns to Rikki with an amused look on his face. "Really? So how did you afford him?"

Rikki: smirks at him. "Oh, easily, with the new job I got." Lewis and Emma look over at her astonished.

"Why didn't you just tell them the truth?" Annette asked. "Because I knew they would react differently if I told them how I actually got it. Which ended up happening either way I told them," Rikki shrugged.

"You accepted the job offer?" Terry asked in surprise, not knowing that she had a job in the first place; but knows that it seemed strange as well. "Yes. And before you ask. I did regret it," Rikki said, pointing to Emma who had opened her mouth to speak. She closes it in response. "But that guy seems a little odd. I mean who would offer you a job like that without asking questions on where it came from?" Will asked her. "Criminals," Cleo muttered. "What?" Terry asked, hearing her mumble something. "You'll see dad. And to answer your question. That guy. But to be fair, I didn't ask him any questions either. I just trusted him like a fool right off the bat," Rikki said to Will.

Emma: "You got a job?"

Rikki: "Yep."

Emma: "Where?"

Rikki: looks around dreamily. "Um, somewhere."

"Not at the marine park, that's for sure," Cleo joked, trying to lighten the negative mood.

Zane pouts, a little jealous about how she was acting at the moment. She looked so happy, so positive, so, in love. She never acted like that around him before. Has she? In an instant like that, it was like she had a crush on him. He would never say that out loud though if he wanted to keep from being boiled to death that is.

Cleo: "I can't believe you spent all that money on me."

Rikki: raises eyebrows in excitement. "Plenty more where that came from."

"You sure were excited. Was that from the job or the compliments?" Zane asked, choosing his words very carefully. "It was more from trying to prove them wrong and mostly succeeding. It proved that I wasn't as self-centered as Emma thought," Rikki stated, glancing at him as to why he was asking. "Yeah. You proved that you were a whole lot more self-centered than I thought," Emma laughed, nudging Rikki back and receiving an eye roll in return with a smile.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[At the beach the next day, the people enjoy their morning by swimming and surfing. Further out though, Rikki is on the hunt, searching for another prized fish. She swims up to the reef and looks around.]

"You stole another fish?" Bella asked. "I didn't steal it. I just, took him to a new home," Rikki remarked. "By taking him from his old home in the first place," Bella spat, crossing her arms. Rikki looks at her strangely, wondering why she cares about them so much. Has she met them up close before? Or, is she also connected with them?

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[A bit later, back at "Barry's" boat, he places some boxes on a carrier, when he notices Rikki walking down the plank, holding an ice chest in her hands. He stands up straight, smiling.]

'Barry': "Right on time. So what do you got for me?" Puts his hands on his hips.

A kidnapped fish, that's what you got, Bella thought angrily. She understood if it were going to a good home like Cleo's and being taken care of. But this guy seems like he doesn't do any of those things. Especially since Cleo confirmed that he doesn't work with her. She only hoped that the fish made it out safely.

Rikki: puts the ice chest down on one of the crates and opens the lid. "Any good?"

'Barry': looks inside the chest and picks up the clear bag, which holds a royal blue tang inside it. "I reckon."

Rikki: looks at him ecstatically. "Pretty rare, aye?"

"It is pretty," Sam reluctantly admitted, not liking how Rikki said rare though.

I still can't believe I went through with this, Rikki mentally scolded herself, pouting.

'Barry': glances at her then back at the fish. "Very. You know what else? This color suits your eyes."

"Okay, now the creep is just hitting on you," Kim said, a little disgusted.

"Just wait till I find the guy. No one messes with my daughter!" Terry shouted furiously. "Oh don't worry about that Mr. Chadwick. He's in jail now," Lewis told him. "Jail?!" the other parents in the room yell. "You'll see how in a moment," Emma told them. "And he didn't mess with me. Yet. Besides, I can handle myself," Rikki sighed. Even if I did fall for it.

"They don't even match. Your eyes are brighter than that color blue," Charlotte remarked. Rikki glares at her and Charlotte rushes out a quick answer. "In a good way, I meant." Rikki nods in confirmation and turns back to the screen.

"So that's where you got the idea from," Emma chuckled, confusing the others.

Rikki: tilts her head, blushing. "You reckon?"

'Barry': smiles at her. "Yeah, definitely. So where did you get it?" Places the bag back into the ice chest and looks at her when she doesn't answer. She looks at him, wondering whether she should say so or not. "Hey, I just want to know it's not an endangered habitat."

"I'll have to admit. He did play the part of working at the marine park real well," Cleo admitted. "Yeah, he acted like he actually cared," Emma answered, then looks over to Rikki and gives her an apologetic look. "Sorry for thinking you were careless about your actions. He clearly was a master manipulator." "Eh, it's cool. He did keep up the act well. I just wish I haven't fallen for it so easily," Rikki replied, feeling a little bad for making the wrong decisions.

Rikki: "It's not. You'll have to trust me." He smiles then hands her a wad of money out of his pocket. She gawks at the cash, before looking back up at him.

'Barry': "The marine park's serious about its breeding program. We get a pretty healthy budget."

"That doesn't explain why you are handing her cash instead of a check!" Terry yelled in frustration. Now realizing that this could potentially be a crime and that his daughter could have been committed in it. "Yeah, I should've noticed that. But I was so caught up in getting money that I didn't even think about it. I was so stupid!" Rikki said, hitting her forehead. "It's alright, Rikki. The main thing is that we stopped him, and you found out what he was up to before it was too late," Cleo said to her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Stopped him? How?" Don asked curiously. "Uh, you'll find out," Cleo stuttered.

"That was a lot of cash," Ash said, jaw dropped. "Yeah, Emma didn't point it out to me till later about how much I was getting when we found out about it. Safe to say, I won't be getting that much in a short amount of time for a while," Rikki admitted.

Rikki: "So you'd be interested in more?"

'Barry': "Sure. This doesn't involve anything dangerous, does it? I can give you a hand if you want me to come with you. I mean I don't want you getting hurt."

Rikki: smile widens. "No. Alright. But thanks." He nods and watches her leave.

"His line of work was more dangerous than what I did," Rikki scoffed.

"I think he was dropping subtle hints about his real job in there," Lewis said. "Sounds like it. Guess I didn't pay attention," Rikki shrugged, a little bummed out that she didn't figure it out.

No, but what you can do is stay away from her as far as possible, Zane thought, narrowing his eyes in anger at the guy hitting on his girlfriend.

"You're sure he's in jail?" Terry asked. "I'm sure. Why?" Rikki told him. "Just checking. Sounds like he just got out of a meeting with me," Terry muttered, causing Rikki to giggle.

"Glad that creep didn't help you. Who knows what would've happened," Bella shuttered.

He should be more worried about what I would've done with him, Rikki glared.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Rikki twirls around in the entryway of Emma's house, showing off her new style to her two best friends. She is wearing a light blue top with black leggings and sunglasses. She poses in front of them as they judge her from the stairs.]

Cleo: "I like the look."

Emma: tilts her head. "Did you win the lottery?"

"I wish," Rikki snorted.

"You went shopping?!" Terry yelled in surprise. "Yeah." "You surprise me more and more the longer I watch this," Terry said, shaking his head in disbelief.

Rikki: "No, I told you. I got a new job. And I've decided to experiment."

Cleo: shakes head. "Well, you look great. I've never seen you in that color before. And it really suits you."

"That's a terrifying experiment," Lewis said. "Scarier than the sample experiments," Kim said, loud enough for the doctor to hear.

"You do look great," Bella complimented. "Yeah, she does," Zane whispered to himself. "Thanks," Rikki told her.

"You and me both, Cleo. Didn't know she knew that color existed," Terry chuckled, still shocked to see his daughter look so different.

Rikki: takes the sunglasses off and shows them her eyes. "Yeah, I think it matches my eyes." They walk down the steps and move closer to her, inspecting both her eye color and the outfit. They smile and nod in approval.

"Ever heard of personal space," Rikki remarked, smiling a little. "We needed to see for ourselves," Emma said, rolling her eyes jokingly.

Cleo: "It does."

Rikki: "Thanks. Hey, care to join me for some retail research, ladies?" She turns towards the door and slowly walks to it.

That's not researching, Denman thought annoyed.

Emma: "Well, I'm broke."

Cleo: "And I don't get paid until next week."

Rikki: "No worries, my treat." She smiles, and they smile in return, looking at each other.

Emma: "What are we waiting for?" They continue smiling and walk out the door. Rikki holds it open for them and then follows after them.

"You treated them to a shopping spree?" Terry asked. "What has money done to you?" "I needed to do something with it," Rikki smiled.

"And you call me a user, Emma," Zane said, giving her a snide remark. He remembered what she said to him at her slumber party. Of course he was going to try to make up for his mistakes, but it didn't mean he couldn't joke around from time to time either. Emma rolled her eyes, biting back a smile that tried to creep up on her face from the irony.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[They walk down the sidewalk, side by side, holding a bunch of shopping bags while giggling excitedly and talking to one another. Emma and Cleo both show off their new sunglasses and necklaces along with Rikki. A few seconds later, they sit down in a huff on a bench on the pier, with Rikki in the middle. Shopping bags lay on both sides of Emma and Cleo, as well in all three of their laps. Emma and Cleo lay their heads on Rikki's shoulders, tired from the fun thrilled day.]

"Never thought I'd see the day. She actually enjoys shopping," Terry said, astonished by what he just saw. "Really? This surprises you more than her being a mermaid?" Harrison asked. "Yeah," Terry let out breathlessly. Rikki chuckles, she never stops surprising her father it seems.

"How much did that guy pay you?" Charlotte asked. "You don't want to know. I can say it was way too much just for one job," Rikki replied. "One legal job that is," Cleo said.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Later at the Juice net, the girls stop by for a break and walk inside, Rikki takes the lead. They set their shopping bags down on the tables.]

Rikki: "Ok, so I'm thinking next trip we need a whole new look. Designer Grunge?"

Cleo: "Next trip? My feet are sore."

"Well shop till you drop, they say," Mrs. Chatham chuckled. Cleo smiles.

Rikki: takes the sunglasses off her head and waves them around. "You have to walk out the pain. This is shopping, Cleo."

"You're starting to sound like Miriam," Zane laughed. Rikki glared at him and held a hand up warningly. "Don't ever. Say that. Again. Got it?" she threatened. Zane gulped, and nods along, getting the idea.

Cleo: both she and Emma sit down in chairs, sitting at their tables. "Fine. But first I need a rest, and a drink." She begins looking at the menu board.

Rikki: walks over to the counter. "Alright, my treat."

"You can't keep treating people you know. Soon you will have nothing left," Max told her. "They're my friends. I wanted to," Rikki shrugged.

Cleo: looks around and gasp, spotting a new fish tank that Wilfred got in the café. She looks at the fish in amazement. "Wow. Look. They're beautiful."

Rikki: glances at them, then looks back at the counter. "Yeah, cute eyes." Rikki does a double-take, and looks closer at the fish tank, noticing a familiar blue friend swimming around inside it. Immediately, she gets reminded of 'Barry' and the fish she sold to him, connecting the two dots.

"Wait, is that the same fish from before?" Elliot asked. "Yep," Rikki commented, a little bummed out that even a little kid was able to notice.

"He sold them the fish?" Bella asked in shock. "That's illegal!" Don yelled. "Yeah. That's why we've been calling him a criminal," Rikki said, stating the obvious.

Rikki: ignoring their orders, she walks over to the fish tank, where Cleo now stands, bent over and admiring them. "I know this fish." She stands next to her and looks at it with a troublesome look.

Cleo: "Yeah? What kind is it?"

Rikki: shakes her head. "No, I know this fish."

Cleo: "Personally?" Rikki continues staring at the fish, now realizing the scam she was caught up in.

"So, like the same way with how Cleo knew her fish, you began to know that fish?" Denman asked a little confused. "Eh, not exactly. Cleo had her fish longer and therefore, was able to connect with it easier. Although the mermaidness cleared it up some and makes it a whole lot simpler. But if it weren't for that, I probably would have never even noticed," Rikki said, trying to explain.

"Ah, so you finally decided to tell the truth," Ash grinned. "Yeah. And they did not take it well," Rikki laughed, remembering the argument that pursued afterward.

Terry looks intensely at the screen, never seeing this look on her face before. A mix of understanding and terror. Was she afraid of what was truly going on? He only hoped that she would be okay.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Wilfred feeds the fish and closes the lid on the tank when Rikki walks up beside him.]

Rikki: "Love the new fish, Wilfred. Where did you get them?"

"I think you already know," Neil mutters, not liking the idea that one of Emma's friends was put through a scheme.

Wilfred: smiles and puts the lid back on the fish feed. "They're great, aren't they? I got a real bargain, too. Some guy was selling them down at the marina. I paid half of what you'd pay at the shops." Walks away, heading back for the counter, and Rikki follows him.

Rikki: "Interesting." Cleo is on the phone, waiting for an answer when she sees the two heading her way.

"He scammed you," Kim said. "Not just me. Wilfred too," Rikki pointed out.

Wilfred: "You want to buy some? He might be still there. But you better be quick."

Rikki: sighs. "No. No. I'm good."

"I had enough of fish that whole week," Rikki winced. Emma, Cleo, and Lewis laugh, confusing the others from their inside joke.

Rikki: walks up to Cleo and Emma who is sitting in a chair, the former standing and hanging up the phone. "Well?"

Cleo: shakes head. "No Barry Rollins."

Rikki: looks at her worriedly. "You sure?"

Cleo: "Mrs. Geddes is my supervisor and knows everyone at the marine park. And there's no one by that name that works there."

"You called your work to check?" Don asked. "She didn't think it strange that you were asking about a fake employee named 'Barry'?" Bev asked. "If she did, she didn't question it," Cleo shrugged.

Rikki: sighs and places her hands on her hips. "Oh, this is bad. He told me that –."

Cleo: "Told you what?"

Rikki: thinks about it, pouting, before shaking her head. "It doesn't matter."

"Uh, yeah it kinda does," Ash commented.

Emma: "And you have no way of contacting him?"

Rikki: turns to her before looking back at Cleo and shaking her head. "No."

"That would make it even more suspicious," Will told her. "Again, I didn't think about it," Rikki sighed.

Cleo: "But Rikki, he was your boss. What if he wanted to ask about –."

Rikki: "It was a very casual arrangement, alright." She snaps at her, then turns and walks back to their stuff on the tables, the other two following her lead.

"That wasn't casual," Zane said. "It was a good deal. She just needed to know more details," Harrison mentioned. Rikki nodded along, agreeing with his statement.

Emma: "Maybe we shouldn't be wearing these clothes."

"So, you were going to go out naked?" Kim asked bluntly, making others around her laugh, even Elliot. "No!" Emma yelled, blushing red with embarrassment.

Rikki: stops and turns to her, confused. "What do you mean?"

Emma: "Well, I'm not sure if I feel comfortable wearing them out in public anymore."

Cleo: looks at them from the other side of the table while Emma grabs one of her bags. "Yeah, isn't there some sort of law about proceeds of crime?"

"They weren't stolen. You still bought the clothes," Lewis told them. "Thank you," Rikki exclaimed.

"It's nice of you three to try and solve a crime. In front of everybody!" Ash stated. "At least be a little quieter," Zane sighed.

Rikki: "Guys, I bought these clothes for you with good money. They're not stolen."

"See? Listen to my own words," Rikki smirked. Emma scoffs playfully.

Emma: "You're right."

"Yes! Another right!" Rikki shouted, fist-pumping in the air. Emma and Cleo shake their heads in amusement.

Cleo: turns to them while grabbing some bags. Rikki grabs hers as well. "We need to sort this out."

"Oh yes you do," Lisa said, crossing her arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 303 16
Madeleine Hawkins is back with her mermaid and mermen pals. Here's to a new season of adventures with a secret that needs to be kept! Sequel to...
9.6K 234 36
The moon has many connections; femininity, immortality and water. But it is also connected to emotions. My name is Reina, I became a mermaid about 2...
130K 2.3K 17
Right after Hayley sacrafices herself for her daughters safety everything is black until she wakes up in a huge dark room resembling a movie theatre...
4.9K 61 16
(I DO NOT OWN BOTBOTS! The show is owned by Kevin Burke) Burgertron loved being a bot in the mall. Being cool. Chill. And hanging out with his friend...