A Wish on a Full Moon

By FlareSouth511

After Cleo accidentally grants Kim's wish on the night of a full moon, everyone including enemies, family, an... More

Kim's Wish (Part 1)
Kim's Wish (Part 2)
The Letter
Metamorphosis (Part 2)
Pool Party (Part 1)
Pool Party (Part 2)
Catch of the Day (Part 1)
Catch of the Day (Part 2)
Time to Talk
Party Girls (Part 1)
Party Girls (Part 2)
Something Fishy (Part 1)
Something Fishy (Part 2)
Young Love (Part 1)
Young Love (Part 2)
Moon Spell (Part 1)
Moon Spell (Part 2)
Roommates
The Denman Affair (Part 1)
The Denman Affair (Part 2)
Dangerous Waters (Part 1)
Dangerous Waters (Part 2)
The Camera Never Lies (Part 1)
The Camera Never Lies (Part 2)
Sink or Swim (Part 1)
Sink or Swim (Part 2)
The Siren Effect (Part 1)
The Siren Effect (Part 2)
Shipwrecked (Part 1)
Shipwrecked (Part 2)
Breaking the Ice
Are You Ready?
Surprise! (Part 1)
Surprise! (Part 2)
The Big Chill (Part 1)
The Big Chill (Part 2)
Lovesick (Part 1)
Lovesick (Part 2)
Under the Weather (Part 1)
Under the Weather (Part 2)
Bad Moon Rising (Part 1)
Bad Moon Rising (Part 2)
To Forgive or Forget
Hurricane Angela (Part 1)
Hurricane Angela (Part 2)
Hook, Line and Sinker (Part 1)
Hook, Line and Sinker (Part 2)
Red Herring (Part 1)
Red Herring (Part 2)
One Case Closed, Another One Opened
Party of Four
Fish Out of Water (Part 1)
Fish Out of Water (Part 2)
In Too Deep (Part 1)
In Too Deep (Part 2)
Love Potion #9 (Part 1)
Love Potion #9 (Part 2)
Dr. Danger (Part 1)
Dr. Danger (Part 2)
A Twist in the Tail (Part 1)
A Twist in the Tail (Part 2)
Grief, Acceptance, & Forgiveness
Season 2 - Stormy Weather (Part 1)
Stormy Weather (Part 2)
Control (Part 1)
Control (Part 2)
The One That Got Away (Part 1)
The One That Got Away (Part 2)
Fire and Ice (Part 1)
Fire and Ice (Part 2)
Hocus Pocus (Part 1)
Hocus Pocus (Part 2)
What the Future Holds

Metamorphosis (Part 1)

1.3K 46 0
By FlareSouth511

I do not own H2O: Just Add Water or any of the characters.

Chapter 4: Metamorphosis (part 1)

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

Right after he pressed play, the screen flickers on with a bright blue glow, like the glow that brought them there, startling a few. Soon it dims down, opening to the first scene.

[A swimming pool comes into view, showing Emma dive in, racing to the other side, touching the wall. Cleo stops the watch and bends over to show Emma her time.]

Oh no, Emma panicked, worried about her family's reaction. Why show that?

Lisa and Neil smile fondly at the sight of their daughter, from when she used to swim competitively, missing those moments. "Oh Emma, you used to swim so much, and you were great at it. What changed? Why did you stop?" Lisa asks.

Emma looks at them sadly, fear hidden in her eyes, knowing that they will soon find out for themselves. "I'm sure you'll see soon, mom," she replies with a nervous tone.

Denman looks at her parents, and then the other mermaids' families. Did they never tell them?

Emma: "Awesome that's point two under my personal best!"

Cleo: "Emma, you were really motoring out there."

Emma: "I'll do better than that tomorrow. Give me two weeks and I'll be ready for regionals."

"You were that determined?" asks Ash, eyebrows raised with surprise.

"Never doubt Emma. She's the best swimmer in the world," Elliot states proudly. Emma smiles thankfully towards her little brother, glad that he sticks up for her.

"I'll take that challenge," says Will happily, up for a bit of competition. Emma quickly shakes her head no, causing Will to look at her confused, turning back to the screen.

Cleo: "So cool."

[Emma dives back underwater while Cleo walks away from the pool.]

"Sounds like someone's jealous," Kim says, teasing her sister, still angry about earlier.

"Be nice, Kim," Bev spoke. Kim looks at her, happy that they are together again, but sad that those are the first words her mother said to her in a while.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Cleo walks down the docks.]

Zane: Kneeling by the zodiac, he spots Cleo. "Cleo. Hey, Cleo!" When she looks around, he tries again. "Yes, that Cleo."

"Are there any other Cleo's around?" Zane laughs. Cleo rolls her eyes, annoyed.

Zane: "I'm in some trouble here. Can you help?"

Cleo: "I don't think so," nervously, backing away.

"Why not help?" Ash asks, not knowing how much of a troublemaker he was.

"Because when Zane is around, he causes nothing but trouble," Emma explains angrily for Cleo, remembering all the pranks.

Rikki frowns, knowing where this is going since she was there.

Zane: "Come on. Please. My zodiac won't go and all I need you to do is pass me the tools."

"You shouldn't have listened to him," Rikki says, shaking her head.

"Why, what happened?" Bella asks. "Just watch," Cleo says in a huff, embarrassed by what is about to happen.

Cleo: Giving in, she walks towards the zodiac and climbs in. "I'm not good with boats."

Zane: "You'll be fine."

"No, she won't," Lewis muttered, worried about his friend, even though he knows everything turns out okay in the end. Well, sort of.

"I'm okay," Cleo says, hearing him. She puts her hand on top of his to calm down his nerves, as well as hers, knowing where these events are leading up to.

Zane: Untying his boat, he explains. "Took me a while to realize that someone stole my sparkplug."

Don, who knows more about boats than probably everyone there, questions the thief's actions. "The sparkplug? Why would they steal that?"

Rikki covers her mouth, stifling a laugh, only letting herself smile a little while Zane looks at her with the same question running through his mind. Emma shakes her head, disapproving of her friend's actions.

Cleo: "So does it work without one?" While looking through the toolbox, Zane pushes the boat away from the dock and out into the open, Cleo looks at him shocked.

"Zane!" Harrison yells, looking at his son with anger in his eyes, who was looking down in shame. "What were you thinking?!" "Sorry, Cleo," Zane says quietly.

Kim laughs at her sister's misfortune. Bev tries to quiet her down, feeling bad for Cleo, while Don glares at the boy angrily at how he treated his daughter. Cleo brings her knees up, hiding in them from embarrassment.

Zane: "No. No sparkplug, no spark." Nate walks up beside him. "I was getting sick of that thing anyway."

Cleo: "Why me? I didn't steal your sparkplug."

Zane: "Because you're here, Cleo. My dad will buy me another anyways."

No, I will not, Harrison thought. Zane sighs, knowing he will have to deal with all of this once they get back home.

Zane: "I tell you what. If you can get it going, you can keep it."

"Sounds like a good deal to me if she had the sparkplug," Max says, shrugging. Mrs. Chatham looks at her old friend, chuckling a little, knowing that he does not realize where this is leading to.

Cleo: "This isn't funny."

Zane: "Are you kidding? Works for me, right mate?" Him and Nate laugh, waving at Cleo, who is floating further away from where she was previously at on the dock.

"Why not just jump or swim to the docks?" Will asks. Cleo stays quiet, not wanting them to know the reason why, already embarrassed enough.

"Because she can't swim. Such a waste," Kim blurts out bluntly. Cleo looks at her shocked. Why would she say that? Is this all because of earlier?

She can't swim? Sam feels bad for the girl, knowing that can be tough for someone to admit.

Cleo: "Zane!"

Zane: "Looks like you'll have to swim for it, Cleo."

Cleo: Sighs and sits back down, defeated. "This isn't happening."

"Oh, but it is," Charlotte says a little amused at her bad luck. Although she feels a bit bad, knowing that if it were her in that situation, she would react the same way.

[As soon as she spoke, Rikki jumps from the closest dock landing in the boat, causing Cleo to scream, and Rikki to look at her strangely.]

"Were you not expecting her to scream?" Lewis laughs.

"No, not really," she replies.

Cleo: "Is this suppose to be some sort of rescue? Because there's a fatal flaw here. I don't mean to state the obvious, but we're just floating out to sea. Both of us." Rikki holds up the missing sparkplug.

"Rikki!" Terry yells, shocked that his daughter would steal such a thing.

Don looks surprised, not expecting her to be the thief.

"Sorry, dad." She says sheepishly. "And Zane." "For what?" he says. "For this," she points to the screen.

Cleo: "You took that."

Rikki: Moving past Cleo, she begins to repair the boat. "Zane Bennet's a pig. Anything I can do to get under his skin can't be a bad thing, can it?"

Laughter fills the room when the 'thief' reveals her motive for taking the object. Even Denman manages to chuckle at the mermaid's comment.

"Hey!" Zane yells. "I said sorry," she says shrugging, hiding a smile.

Cleo: "Cool. Thanks, Rikki."

Rikki: Looks at her, surprised. "You know my name."

Cleo: "Yeah, well, I've seen you around school, since you arrived." Rikki continues working on the boat. "Oh, I meant to say hello and everything!"

"Well, that wasn't awkward," Charlotte sarcastically says, others nodding in agreement.

"Yeah, sorry about that Rikki," Cleo says, feeling a bit ashamed. "It's cool. I was used to that back then." Terry feels bad, realizing how bad moving around has affected his daughter.

[Finished putting the sparkplug back, she starts the boat.]

Rikki: "Hold on."

[Zane sees them riding his boat, and as they get closer, Rikki turns the boat around, increases the motor's speed, and splashes Zane, yelling in shock.]

Cleo: "Yeah!" Nate laughs at a humiliated Zane, who is now soaking wet, stopping when Zane looks at him.

Everyone laughs at his karma, glad that the two girls got their revenge.

"I deserved that," Zane reluctantly admits. "Yes, you did," the girls say along with Harrison.

Kim hides a smile, trying not to show her sister that what they did was cool.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[The two girls ride around on the zodiac, having a great time exploring the coast. Smiling and laughing, waving at passing boats, having fun.]

Don smiles at seeing his daughter have fun. It has been such a long time since he last saw her on a boat. Bev looks at him, knowing what is on his mind.

[Cleo spots Emma walking along the sidewalk, yelling to the girl, grabbing Emma's attention.]

Cleo: "Hey Emma! Want a ride?"

Emma: "Are you licensed?"

Rikki: "Are you my mother?"

They chuckle at her sarcastic reply, except for Terry. It has been a while since she ever mentioned her mother. Hearing herself say it, Rikki looks at her father, hoping she did not upset him.

[Looking annoyed, she smirks, shaking her head. She rides off in the boat with the other two girls.]

Emma's parents look at their daughter, surprised that she would do such a rebellious act. "Emma, you shouldn't get in a stolen boat." She stays silent, not even looking at them, nodding guiltily so that her parents know that she heard.

"Are you calling Rikki a thief?" Terry says to them. "I didn't steal it! Zane said that Cleo could keep it if she got it working. And besides, he got it back," Rikki states, defending herself.

Rikki: "Wanna go out to sea?"

Emma: "Isn't it dangerous in a park this size?"

Rikki: "Chill out."

Chill, Emma smiles. "Clever wordplay," she whispers to Rikki who giggles, noticing the reference to her power.

"Not really. I went out to sea in it several times," Zane says.

"No, but they should still be careful. You never know what's out there, especially when you're not wearing life jackets," Sam points out, causing Kim to roll her eyes. Is she always such a buzzkill?

Mrs. Chatham and Max look at each other, laughing to themselves. Yes, you never know what is out there.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Heading out to sea, the zodiac runs out of fuel, leaving the girls stranded. Rikki tries to get the engine running again but fails.]

Emma: "Are we chilled out yet?"

Snickering can be heard around the room, especially from Zane. Rikki glares at him playfully, then looks over at Emma, smirking. "Well played."

Rikki: "So we're floating. It's not like we are sinking."

Emma: "Not yet."

Their parents get worried, wondering how in the world will they get out of the situation safely.

[Mako Island comes into view.]

Rikki: sighs. "I think we're out of fuel. Feel like paddling to that island?"

Denman and Harrison shift uncomfortably, although knowing about the secret, still gets a strange sense about it. Everyone (except for the ones that know the secret) gets a creepy feeling about Mako. Everyone that is, except for Bella, who feels a strange connection to it. What is going on?

Max and Mrs. Chatham stare at it, remembering all the good times they shared with their friends.

Annette frowns, trying to remember where she has seen that island before. Why does it look so familiar?

Charlotte gasps, staring at Mako with a look of shock. She knows that island from anywhere. That is the same island that my grandmother has in one of her drawings!

Emma: laughs. "Mako Island? Forget it?"

Cleo: "No one goes there. It's surrounded by sharks, and reefs, and mangroves."

"It didn't seem that bad when I did the 'fish count population' research," Denman says looking at the girls suspiciously, knowing that her 'report' revealed a lot more. They look back glaring, hiding their worries as they realize that it is getting closer to showing their secret.

Rikki: Grabs a paddle. "Well, it's all we got." Emma grabs the paddle from Rikki, and they start paddling towards the island.

Worry floods the air, parents hoping that the girls will make it out okay.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Getting a closer look at the island, it shows the water and wildlife that surrounds Mako, even the reptiles and insects scattered around it.]

Charlotte shrieks at seeing the snake and spider, wondering how in the world did they survive.

[The girls make it to shore, pulling the boat out of the water.]

Cleo: "How are we ever gonna get back home?"

Emma: Looking at the brunette, she turns to look at Rikki, angrily crossing her arms. "Good question, Cleo. Ask your friend."

"How did you get back home?" Ash asks. "The water police. Right, Zane?" Cleo says, glaring at the boy in question. He looks at her confused until he remembers what happened the next day. "Oh yeah."

Rikki: "Don't put this on me."

Emma: "Oh, it was someone else's fault. Someone else took this thing miles off shore."

"Technically, it was Zane's fault." Will states. Zane looks over at him, not liking that comment. Who invited this guy? "Yes, well Rikki was the one who stole my sparkplug," he replies, with Rikki glaring at him.

Emma: Reaches into the boat and grabs her phone. "You two are lucky I've got this."

Lisa and Neil sigh in relief, glad that one of them at least brought their phone. "So that's how you got back." Emma looks at them with guilt, knowing she should have told them how they really got home in the first place, "Not exactly." Looking at her confused, they reply. "What do you mean?" "We didn't tell you the whole story," she says sadly. Disappointment slowly spreads across their faces. "Emma –" "Just, watch mom, please," she says shakily, not able to look at them, tears starting to form in her eyes. Rikki pats her shoulder, hoping to calm her friend down.

Cleo: smiling. "Emma's always really prepared."

Rikki: "I'm so happy for her." Emma glares at her.

Zane laughs at his girlfriend's sarcasm. "Yes, she always is," Elliot states proudly, with a hint of annoyance, knowing that her preparedness can sometimes be a little too much.

Emma: "I'm not getting any signal. We should try and get to higher ground." Looking at each other, they start moving further into the island, with Rikki trailing behind.

"You must've not want to go," Lewis says, trying to distract the girls from worrying. "No, I just didn't feel like walking so much," Rikki replies. Emma and Cleo shake their heads at Rikki's laziness.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Further, into the island, the girls walk in the woods, moving higher up.]

Rikki: "Do you have any idea where you're going?"

Emma: "Just up. I'm still not getting a signal."

"Well, of course, you're on an island, remember?" Kim says, annoyed that they have not noticed.

Cleo: "Maybe we won't get a signal. What then? What if we can't call anyone? What if nobody finds us?"

Bev smiles. It is just like their daughter to ramble on and overthink.

Rikki: "We'll have to draw straws and decide which one of us the other will eat." Cleo and Emma turn around looking at her, annoyed.

Will laughs. "You did not like that answer." "It wasn't the right time for it," Cleo admits.

Emma: "That's not funny."

Rikki: "I'm relieving the tension."

Cleo: "You're making it worse."

Emma: "Come on."

"It sure didn't help," Sam mutters.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Later, further into the island, they stumble upon a creek that runs in between some rocks, creating a small waterfall.]

Emma: "Mind your step." She jumps across.

"Careful girls," Don says. "Dad, this has already happened, remember?" Cleo says.

Denman studies the rock textures carefully, remember that the cave entrance is nearby. Wait a minute. Is this how they discovered it?

[Rikki jumps across next; Cleo looks at them.]

Cleo: "I can't do this, it's too slippery. There's got to be another way."

"Oh, come on, it's not even that steep! They did it too!" Kim yells, crossing her arms. "You're such a wimp." "Kim, that's enough!" Don says. Cleo looks down feeling glum, heart racing that in a few moments their secret will be revealed.

Charlotte snickers at Kim's complaining.

[Looking around, Cleo slips into the hole of the cave entrance, screaming all the way down.]

"Cleo! Are you okay?" Bev says jumping in her seat, worried about her daughter. "I'm fine mom," she says sighing.

Max looks astonished at the screen, knowing exactly where that cave leads to. He looks over at Mrs. Chatham who nods, understanding what he was thinking.

Emma: Running to the entrance with Rikki. "Cleo! Cleo!" The brunette lands inside the cave and slowly starts to get up. "Cleo! Cleo!"

"That's my name," she says smiling a little, trying to calm her nerves. Emma giggled, embarrassed.

Cleo: Checking her leg, she looks up. "I'm okay. I'm fine."

Emma: "Can you climb up?"

Cleo: Shaking her head. "No."

Emma: "Are you sure? Come on, just try."

Cleo: Attempts to get up but fails. "I can't. There's no way, it's too steep."

"You didn't even try," Charlotte points out. "My leg was sprained, there was no way I could even if I did try."

Wow, a wimp, lazy, and a loser, Kim thought, counting on her fingers, a new record.

Emma: "I've gotta go down and get her."

Rikki: "Are you crazy? It doesn't make sense if you –." Before she could finish, Emma slides down screaming.

"Emma, what were you thinking? You could've gotten yourself hurt," Lisa says worriedly about her daughter. Emma sighs, "Yes mom."

"Your parents are a little overprotective, don't you think?" Rikki mutters, quiet enough for them not to hear. Emma nods her head, tapping her foot rapidly, worrying about where all of this is eventually leading up to.

"Rikki was right, you were crazy," Elliot laughs, causing her to smile a little.

[Emma lands next to Cleo. Looking around in the cave, she assesses the situation with her friend.]

Emma: "Are you okay?"

Cleo: "My leg hurts a little."

Emma: "It's probably just sprained."

Rikki: "Whoa!" Rikki slides down, landing on Cleo's hurt leg. Looking around the cave, amazed.

"And now it's probably even worse," Sam mentions, wincing.

Terry shakes his head, looking at his daughter. "Rikki, you shouldn't have followed them. You could have gotten yourself hurt too. They would've needed help getting out of there."

"I'm fine dad, see?" she points to the screen. Great. Now my dad is just like Emma's parents.

Emma: "What are you doing here?"

Rikki: "Well, you came down."

"That's not an excuse," Will says.

Emma: "You were meant to stay up at the top and throw down a rope or something."

Rikki: "What am I, a mind reader? And what rope?" pointing to the top.

A couple of people laugh at her joke. "She's right, Emma," Neil says. Emma sighs, "I know dad," looking over at Rikki, she smiles a little, still nervous, "You were right."

"That's so nice to hear," Rikki laughs, trying to hide her rising fear. The girls become even more nervous as the scenes unfold slowly, coming closer to revealing their secret.

Denman and Harrison are stunned. I was right, so that is how they found it. Does that mean we will finally get to see how they became mermaids?

Cleo: "Shouldn't we concentrate on getting out of here?"

Emma: Getting up. "Yup."

"Thank you!" their parent's yell.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Later in the day, it begins to get dark as they walk deeper into the cave.]

Rikki: "There's no way out."

Emma: Finds steps leading to another area. "Let's try here."

"Were those steps man-made or something?" asks Ash. The girls just shrug nervously, not wanting to speak, afraid of what they will soon find out.

[Walking up the stairs, they discover a beautiful, glowing pool, with water dripping in. The girls look at it in awe, taking in all its beauty.]

Everyone looks at it the same way the girls do. The beauty of it, hypnotizing everyone in the room. Although some of them have already seen it before, they still admire it. "It's so beautiful," Kim says in admiration.

Max and Mrs. Chatham sigh at the beautiful sight, memories flooding their heads of all the times they had fun at the moon pool. Bella stares at it, amazed. Another moon pool!

Charlotte and Annette gasps, hands flying to their mouths. "Mom, is that what I think it is?" Charlotte whispers. "Yes, I – I think it is. It looks exactly like your grandmothers' picture!" Annette stammers amazed that her own mother could have possibly been there as well.

Rikki: "Wow." Shows the view of the inside of the volcanoes cone. "This is like the cone of a volcano."

People gasp in surprise. "You were inside the volcano?!" Don yells. "You didn't tell us that!" Bev says exasperated. "Same here," Neil says while Terry nods.

"Sorry dad," they all say simultaneously, voices cracking from fear.

Cleo: "It's not going to erupt, is it?"
"Of course that's what you were worried about," Kim says, rolling her eyes. "I thought you'd be more worried about the water."

Emma: "It's been dormant for twenty thousand years. I think we're safe."

"Interesting facts, Emma," Denman says smiling. Emma looks at her and sighs. Out of all the people here, why did she have to be one of them?

Emma: "Look, tidal rings." She bends down and begins to take her shoes off. "The level of the pool rises and falls."

"A way out!" Will brightens at her brilliance.

Rikki: "So?"

Emma: "So it's connected to the ocean. There might be a way out." She gets up, looks at the two, walks on the water's ledge, and dives in underwater to get to the other side.

"Be careful Em!" Lisa says. "I was mom."

[Rikki and Cleo bend down, watching her leave through the underwater exit.]

Cleo: "I'm not going to like this." Sitting down after a minute, Cleo calls out for Emma. "Emma! Emma!"

Rikki: "Relax, just give her a minute."

"That's my name," Emma says quietly to Cleo, hoping to be able to distract them from the oncoming disaster that will be shown soon, but Cleo just sits there quietly, too busy by what is happening.

Lisa and Neil worry even more about their daughter, holding hands to comfort each other.

[Emma pops back up from the water gasping for air.]

Emma: "I was right. It's about a twenty-second swim to the reef outside. Straight through, plenty of room, we can all fit."

"I thought you told me it was 50 meters?" Lewis whispers to her, but she just shrugs in response.

Cleo: "Through there? No way," she points.

Rikki: Taking her shoes off. "Come on, Cleo. There's no other way out. You can do it."

"No, she can't," Kim says. Cleo listens to Kim's comments, upset by her constant teasing; worrying even more about what her reaction will be when she discovers the truth.

Cleo: "I can't do it. And besides, I can't swim."

Don and Bev feel bad for their eldest child, worried about how the girls will get her out of this situation.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[It is now nighttime, the full moon shining high in the sky.]

Emma: "Everything will be fine." Both blondes were fully in the water now while Cleo sat on the ledge in the water.

Cleo: "How can you be sure?"

Don and Bev gape at the sight; their daughter was in the water! Of course, she might be on the ledge and only in a little way, but she was still in the water!Even Kim was impressed.

Rikki: "Listen to her, Cleo. What alternative do we have? Stay stuck down here forever?" Cleo looks around before grabbing Rikki's hand and going underwater.

Kim gasps, mouth wide open, forgetting her anger for a bit. "You got in the water? You actually got her in the water?" She looks at her sister, ready to barge her with more questions, but before she does, she immediately notices something is wrong. Not with just Cleo, but all three girls. They were still in their seats, but they were hugging each other, tears on the verge of breaking, breaths hitching, all of them shaking, as if they were going to explode with emotions. "Cleo?"

"Girls? Is everything alright?" Neil asks. Lewis looks at them before looking at her dad, with a neutral look as to not show any fear or dishonesty, "They'll be fine," but he knew the truth, and they were not fine, they were mortified. After a few seconds, everyone turns back to the screen, somewhat believing him.

[Rikki goes underwater for a second with Cleo, both getting ready to go to the other side. Right when they were about to leave, the full moon rises over the cone of the volcano, making the moon pool glow even brighter and wilder than ever, sparkling bubbles rising towards the moon around them. The girls look around, freaking out as these events transpire.]

Bella gasps. The same thing happened to me! Wait, does that mean they are mermaids too?

So that is how this all happened, Denman and Harrison have it running through their heads, trying to figure out what caused all of that to happen, does it have something to do with that magical pool?

Everyone else looks at it confused as to what is happening.

"What's going on?" Elliot asks his parents. "I don't know. Girls?" Neil asks but gets no response as the girls are still as they were, hugging with terror.

Cleo: "Wow."

Emma: "Spooky."

"Definitely," Charlotte says shuttering.

Emma: Breaks from the distraction. "Okay, now concentrate. Take a deep breath." They all nod. Emma takes a deep breath and dives under, going through the exit. Rikki and Cleo go next, leaving the moon pool. Emma breaks the surface for air.

"You did it, Emma!" yells Elliot excitedly, raising his fist into the air, his parents smiling. Even Ash smirks a little at her accomplishment.
[Rikki and Cleo swim through the moon pool exit, the area still bubbling behind them, breaking the surface, Cleo coughs for air.]

Don and Bev smile proudly at their daughter for swimming for the first time. Kim looks at her in shock. "I can't believe you swam!" she yells, Bev trying to get her to calm down.

Cleo: "That was more than twenty seconds."

Rikki: "Oh relax, we made it, didn't we?"

Emma: "I'm proud of you, Cleo. I knew you could do it."

"Me too," Lewis says, but Cleo remains shaking. "So are we," Don says proudly, Bev nodding in agreement.

[A bright light coming from the police boat shines onto the girls, blinding them, causing them to hold up their arms.]

Water Police: "This is the Water Police. Please make your way to the boarding ladder at the rear of the vessel."

"Well at least you made it all out safely," Sam says. "Oh, you have no idea," Lewis mutters. I do, Bella thinks, hearing him.

Emma: "Come on." They swim forward, but Cleo halts, turning back towards Mako, looking at it hesitantly, then swims toward the boat.

"Why'd you look back?" asks Will. "I guess I was just curious," she finally speaks quietly, trying to avoid his question. I felt the connection, just like I know they did.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[The next morning, Emma arrives at the beach in her swimsuit, ready for her morning swim.]

Tears begin to swell up in her eyes. Emma covers her mouth, trying to keep herself from completely sobbing. Rikki hugs Emma and whispers to her. "We're all in this together, remember?" She nods, taking in Rikki's words, and they all take each other's hand and give them tight squeezes of reassurance.

Noticing this, Lisa questions her daughter. "Emma dear, what's wrong?" She hesitates before answering. "You're about to see mom," "See what?" Looking at her family, she gives them an honest, apologetic, and sorrowful look. "The truth." They look back to the screen confused, curious as to see what happens to their daughter. Hearing this, Elliot focuses more on the screen; he is finally about to find out what his sister has been hiding.

'The truth'. The truth! Kim's eyes fling wide open, staring deeply at the screen, leaning forward in her seat, not daring to blink. She always wanted to know the truth and she was about to get it, and she was not going to miss one second of it. They were finally going to learn her sister's secret.

Cleo, Rikki, and Emma look at one another, getting ready to hear all the awful words they would be called this next scene, how they would no longer be looked at the same by anyone they loved. After these next few seconds, they would no longer be seen as humans, as family members, or friends. They would be looked at as weirdoes, freaks: monsters.

[Sitting her bag and towel down on the sand, she makes a break for it, running into the water and dives in. Coming back up for air, she smiles. Then after a few seconds, she feels something strange happening and looks down. The water bubbles all around her. After they disappear, it reveals that she was no longer wearing a swimsuit, or even have legs; but in its place was an orange, scaly top, with a matching tail.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28K 517 23
Erik is back, and he has a plan: to take all the moon ring stones and forge them into one huge stone to reopen the merman chamber on Mako Island. Si...
10K 165 10
In a normal day, 3 teenagers fall into a pool in a no-longer working volcano, which is mostly an island now, and watch as the water bubbles in the si...
115K 2.9K 40
Will Johnson has a big secret. He is a merman. When he moves to the Gold Coast of Australia, he meets three girls named Cleo, Rikki, and Emma. They b...
27.3K 724 23
What happens when you go to MAKO island on a full moon? You turn into a mermaid, of course! The girls are mermaids and they go to a boarding school...