To Capture A Bride

Per the_atticwriter

|Updates every Tuesdays| "Come with me." I laugh and wipe the beads of sweat off my forehead. "And why would... Més

Prologue ♡
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52

Chapter 26

43 15 0
Per the_atticwriter

✿ Aileen's POV

Oh no...

“Oh yes, it's so good to finally meet you, mama!”

No, no, no...

A camera flashes and I trace it to Asha who's wearing a giant smile on her face.

“Camera-worthy moment” she nudges Ellen.

“Get her off me!” Portia screeches.

Camari giggles in my arms.

“I'm glad Mom made skip school today” she laughs as Reid reaches out to pull Tracy off his mother.

“What is wrong with you?!” another screech from Portia Dalton.

Tracy blocks an ear.

“Wow, powerful larynx you've got there,” she says. “You know, I'm a singer. Maybe you could give me points on how you—”

“Get away from me!”

Nora tugs her daughter back and gives her 'the look', immediately mellowing Tracy out.

“I am so sorry for my daughter's behavior ma'am. Please—”

“Your daughter just tried to maul me and you dare to ask for forgiveness?! I should have her thrown in jail this!”

I roll my eyes into Camari's hair.

Does she ever give it up?

Nora sighs and turns to Tracy who doesn't even look the slightest bit remorseful.

“Look what you did” she whisper-yells.

“Are you drunk?” Papi asks.

Tracy wobbles a bit.

“I pledge the fifth, Hank” she winks.

¡Dios mío, voy a matar a esta chica!” Nora fumes.

“No, no, no” Bonnie steps in. “Nobody's going to die today. It's an important day for Lee and her fiancé and I'm sure Reid's family can forgive this little hiccup” She turns to Portia who's fanning herself dramatically as Anika holds a washcloth to her forehead.

“Little hiccup?! That little—”

“It's not a problem at all” Eros cuts in with a smile. “What's a family gathering without any drama?”

“Exactly!” Tracy laughs. “You're a cool dude.”

Nora shoots her a look.

“You better behave, ¿me escuchas?”

“Got it” Tracy stops laughing and slaps a hand over her mouth. “I think I'm going to throw up.”

Horrified gasps and 'ohs' erupt and I spring into action.

“I got her,” I say, passing Camari to Bonnie. “C'mon, Tee.”

“Can I have some wine?”

“No” I shake my head, leading her away into the kitchen. “Be careful. Sit, I'll get you some water.”

When she's seated, I grab two bottles of water from the fridge.

“Why are you drunk, Tray?”

“Drunk is a strong classification, Lee. Try slightly buzzed.”

I chuckle.

“Why are you slightly buzzed, Tracy? And right before coming here? You know I'd want this lunch to go great, yet you embarrass me in front of Reid's family like that?”

“And I'm sober enough to not regret doing that.”

I close the fridge.

“Excuse me?”

She sighs and stands up, her 'drunk' demeanor vanishes into thin air.

“I'm not drunk, or slightly buzzed, Lee. I lied.”

Yeah, I got that much.

“Why would you do that, Tracy? You embarrassed me in there.”

“I did that to put those people in their place.”

I frown.

“What?”

“Bonnie was nice enough to fill me in on that little rat's behavior toward you at your diner. And I don't need a shrink to tell me that's how the rest of the family feel about you. So I'm bringing my A game.”

I fold my arms.

“And what is that?”

“Not allow anyone... and I mean anyone, to disrespect my Lee.”

I sigh.

“Tracy, I love you. But I don't need you to fight for me, okay?”

“It doesn't look like you're up for fighting for yourself Lee. Because from the way Bonnie described what played out that day, you just let that little brat walk all over you with her Louboutins.”

Of course, she went into detail and mentioned the shoes.

I exhale.

“Tracy, I need this lunch to go great, okay?”

“And I don't so much give a fuck about their approval.”

I groan.

“Let me handle this my way, Tray. I'm older.”

“By a year and six months.”

“It still counts!”

She rolls her eyes.

“Do you think I wanted to come? No. Because I knew I'd say something inappropriate and make you look bad in front of Reid's family. But then Bonnie got all tensed up and I forced her to talk. And when she told me, I figured the only thing this lunch needed was my inappropriateness. So here I am. And I promise you, Aileen, if they try anything to disrespect you, they're going to be running with their diamond stud tails between their legs.”

✯✯✯✯✯✯

Surprisingly after Tracy's confession to go all Queen of Hearts on Reid's family if anyone disrespects me, it never comes to that.

After the entrée, the ice in the room breaks a little. Everyone expected to be here is here and I notice a more relaxed atmosphere as everyone casually takes a seat around the dining table to eat. Portia doesn't even comment on the dishes I've prepared looking like something thrown together an hour before their arrival.

Dessert rolls in and after that, Eros suggests we move the party back into the living room.

“Hey Lee? Can I paint on the wall?” Camari jumps down from one of the couches.

“Of course, Cami” I smile. “I'll get you a small brush.”

I dart in and out of the bedroom with a small brush for Cami and find Reid putting a small apron on her.

That's why he bought it?

“What?” he asks, when he notices me staring.

“Nothing” I shake my head and hand Camari the brush.

Eros Dalton picks up a frame of Papi, Nora, Bonnie, and me at my high school graduation. Tears stream down Nora’s face despite her wide smile.

He assesses the photo in a way that makes me feel like I’m some kind of science experiment. My skin prickles with anticipation as I wait for him to say something. Anything really would suffice compared to his silence.

“I take it your family's very close?” he asks.

“If there was another word for close I'd use it” Nora smiles brightly.

“Hey, so I don't mean to be rude but err... what exactly is your relationship with each other?” Maeve speaks up.

Ugh.

“I mean, we get that she's like...” pointing to Tracy, “... Aileen's cousin so that does make the two of you, siblings?” she looks at Nora and Papi.

Reid chuckles beside me.

“Oh no. We used to be married” Nora laughs. “But only for six weeks.”

Asha cocks her head.

“Well, that took a sharp turn” Clayton jokes.

Eros sets the picture down, his attention on Nora. She fills them in on everyone's relationship, not minding the odd stares she is now receiving.

“So that makes her...” Ellen points to Bonnie.

“Lee's mother... legally” Bonnie smiles, “Pun not intended.”

Chuckles erupt. Asha turns to me.

“And so the little girl trying to paint SpongeBob SquarePants on your wall is your—”

“Sister cousin, yes” Reid and I chorus reply.

As if choreographed, we meet each other's eyes and smile. Asha's camera flashes and I see Anika frown like she's holding in a fart.

Eros picks up another picture, that of Papi.

“Hank, are you sure I've never seen you anywhere before?” he asks, “Because you look very familiar.”

Papi smiles.

“I doubt it, Mr. Dalton. If not for our children inviting us here today, our circles don't exactly mix.”

Eros laughs.

“But you look familiar.”

“Flash him your police badge, Hank” Tracy chimes in and I give her a look.

“You were a policeman?” Clayton asks.

“Also once a detective and a deputy chief of police.”

“Tracy!”

“Shutting up” She gets up and crosses the room to go paint with Cami.

Eros Dalton snaps his finger.

“Of course. Henry Allen Wilmore. July 15th, 1986. Idaho State Police officer injured after cracking the Bunsen case.”

“What?” Asha asks.

“That was the front page news that Tuesday morning.”

How does he even remember that far back?

“1986? And you remember?” Maeve asks.

“Your looks alone won't make you successful, dear. You need a steel mind. And of course, I followed that case. My best friend nearly got killed” Eros chuckles.

“But he was lucky enough to not” Portia rolls her eyes.

“Yes, yes. But only because of his partner...” Eros trails off, turning to face Papi, “... his partner jumped in front of the gun and got shot instead. It was you wasn't it?”

Papi smiles.

“Thirty-five years ago but I'll sign your shirt if you want me to” he jokes.

“You got injured?” Bonita asks.

“Shot. If we're looking at how he got injured” Nora folds her arms.

Papi holds his hands in the air.

“In my defense, Simon had his back to the attackers and so he didn't see them.”

“And a “Behind you, Simon” wasn't going to cut it?” Bonnie frowns.

“That only works in the movies, Bon. And besides, I was in a bulletproof vest. I only pushed him out of the way.”

“Yet you got shot” she presses.

“Bon” I whisper.

“You of all people know how we feel about guns, Lee” she whispers back.

You don't have to remind me.

“I understand your concern, Bonita” Eros speaks up. “Simon's wife wasn't exactly calm about her husband joining the police force either. But as reckless as you feel your husband's actions were...”

“Reckless? Try stupid” Nora mutters lowly.

“... I think he did a very admirable thing” Eros finishes.

“Very badass” Hernan nods.

Papi smiles.

“Thank you, Mr. Dalton.”

“Please, call me Eros. And, we should have a drink sometime.”

It takes encountering a near-death experience to get you to finally warm up to us?

“I don't mean to be nosy Mr. Wilmore but do you think you could tell us what the Bunsen case was about?” Ellen asks, so much to Portia's displeasure.

I smile as my uncle tells those interested in the story... gaining backing from Eros Dalton. Everyone else... Portia Dalton and Anika included... seem to be engrossed in what sounded like the middle of my uncle's story. Not excited to hear about the man who has raised me shot in line of duty again, I get up.

“Anyone want a refill?” I ask, grabbing the empty bottles of beer on the table.

A few nods come my way. With my hands full of empty bottles, I enter the kitchen. The bottles join the other ones on the counter, and I go ahead to get fresh Coronas from the fridge, as well as a bottle of Rosé.

“Need any help?”

“No thanks,” I reply. “I got it.”

I set out a tray and arranged everyone's drinks on it.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Armani.”

“Our family isn't killing each other, you know? Well except for the little odd incident with Tracy. I mean I've met her twice and I think she's very responsible so earlier must have been nervous drinking.”

“How observant, Armani” I lift the tray. “Now, out of my way.”

He chuckles and waits till I'm close to him to take the tray away from me.

“Arma—”

“Shhhh! You're going to interrupt the story, jeez, Lee” he shuts me up.

I chuckle and leave him to go.

“So Simon called for backup and an ambulance while stopping me from bleeding out, all the while dealing with the irate son of a bitch who shot me and his hysterical wife.”

“Shit,” Clayton mutters.

“I tried telling him it wasn’t his fault, but he kept blaming himself saying he’s the one who should have got shot, not me. So our captain pulled him off active duty after a psych evaluation. He did some counseling and worked his way through what happened. And by the time I was fit enough to return to work, Simon was back in the saddle.”

“What’s happening with the guy who pulled the trigger?” Maeve asks.

What, is she planning on pulling a trigger anytime soon?

“He faced pretty big charges. Battery. Assault. Attempted murder of a police officer. Last I heard he’s still in custody. After the paramedics got me out of there Simon made the arrest. His defense pleaded crime of passion. But he’s looking at ten, maybe fifteen more years.”

“At least his wife has enough time to build a life without him,” Asha says.

“Silver lining,” Tracy agrees, tipping her glass of water at no one in particular.

“Well, I still think it was a pretty impressive thing you did, Mr. Wilmore. I’m really glad you’re here with us... intact” Ellen says.

My uncle gives her a grin.

“So am I” Otto agrees.

“Well, I think it was impressively stupid,” Bonita mutters.

Uncle Henry looks apologetically around the living room.

“My wife is never going to let this one go.”

“Why did you quit anyway?” Anika suddenly asks.

I flinch a bit and Reid sees it. I'm not sure what he's about to say but Papi beats him to it with a “Story for another day.”

Anika doesn't press.

“Well in all honesty,” Clayton begins, “I think it’s a very respectable path.”

“Quite,” Maeve agrees.

“The uniform isn’t too bad either,” Tracy giggles. “There's something about a man in uniform.”

I glower at her.

“Really?” I whisper.

“What?” she asks innocently.

Camari, who's now pressed between her mother and Nora on my left-hand side, yawns a little.

“Maybe I’ll become a police officer. Then I can have my own dog and my own car and my own partner.”

“No,” my family and I said in unison.

Camari blinks.

“Okay. Jeez. Just the dog then.”

✯✯✯✯✯✯

The afternoon drags into nighttime and before I know it, goodbye hugs are being shared... not by Portia Dalton don't worry.

I walk into the kitchen to tidy up a bit and the others don't seem to be wanting to move their stuffed bodies from the couch. Armani finds me there and insists on helping.

“Hey Lee? You left this in there” Tracy says, coming into the kitchen.

“Thanks, toss it in here. I'll take it out with the rest” I say.

“Let me do it” Reid intercepts.

“I got it, Armani,” I say.

“Let me, Freshie” he insists.

“I can carry this. It's not too—”

“Aileen,” he says in a serious tone, subtly hinting that Anika is watching.

“That's why you wanna help? To show off?” I whisper.

“I was already going to help. She showing up here is God's way of rewarding me and punishing her” he whispers back.

Oh my God.

“I wouldn't want you hurting yourself like last time. And although I love taking care of you, I don't like it that much if you're in pain and I'm doing it” he says loud for her to hear.

I let a smile play on my face.

“You're so sweet.”

He smiles back. At this point, Anika's fuming isn't subtle at all. She drops her glass in the sink and walks away without a word.

“Wow, I never thought I would see the day when my Lee would fall in love” Nora cuts into our conversation.

Reid lets out a noise that can be classified as a laugh and I glare at my aunt.

“You and your daughter are just out to embarrass me tonight, aren’t you?” I ask.

“You think this is embarrassing? I haven’t even offered to show Reid your baby album yet” Tracy smiles.

“You wouldn’t.”

Tracy only laughs and Nora wipes her wet hands before offering her hand to Reid.

“It was nice of you to want us to meet your family before the engagement party tomorrow, Reid. I had such a great time and I'm looking forward to seeing all the good things I've heard about you from this one.”

I chuckle.

“Don’t lie, Nora. It does scary things for his ego.”

Reid playfully shoves me and grabs a plate to clear out the pieces of food on it when Anika walks back in with Asha and Maeve.

Reinforcements?

They take a seat around the island as Nora exists.

“I have a question for you, Ben” Asha starts.

Reid puts the plate in the sink and grabs another one.

“Shoot.”

“When did you realize you were in love with Aileen?”

Reid releases the spoon in his hand, and it clatters to the floor.

“Aw. You’re making him nervous” Tracy teases and sips her sparkling cider to hide her smile.

I refuse to look at Reid and I hear him clear his throat after a while after picking up the spoon from the floor.

“I think part of me always knew she would be the one. It just took a while for the rest of my brain to catch up.”

His eyes don’t meet mine when I look at him and I bite down on my tongue to keep myself from laughing.

The way he can lie his way through anything is something to be admired. And although it does come off a bit jarring, it seems to do the trick. Asha’s entire body melts from his statement.

“Why did you hold back for so long?” Anika asks, clearly not looking as enamored as Asha.

“It wasn’t the right time.”

Her jaw ticks.

That's game.

Tracy smiles.

“Well, I’m surprised she gave you a chance. We’ve been trying to set her up with one of the teachers at my school and even an artist we know but she always declines—”

“Because I’m not interested, obviously” I nod my head in Reid’s direction.

He doesn’t so much as look at me and Tracy keeps talking.

“You know, Lee here leaves a trail of broken hearts wherever she goes” Tracy raises her glass toward me like I unlocked some achievement.

“No, I don’t.”

She smirks.

Don't you dare.

“Did you know her last boyfriend proposed to her and she rejected him?”

Oh, she dared!

“Tracy!”

“What? I just find it interesting that you are finally willing to settle down. What happened to swearing off men for the rest of your life?” she asks.

“Your ex proposed?” Reid’s eyes are darker than usual when he asks.

Shit!

Thank you for reading!
Please don't forget to vote.
Ciao
~the_atticwriter

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

40.3K 1.1K 15
Sneak peek... "How much do you need?" I asked. "Five hundred," she said, averting her eyes away. "That's it? Five hundred dollars?" I asked. "Five hu...
ALESSANDRO Per D R E A M E R

Literatura romàntica

1M 40.4K 48
"Now since we are done with the introductions I have a question. Are you sure about this marriage?" I nodded "I am." He scoffed and leaned against th...
497K 34.1K 26
***Published in the US with Wattpad Books and in the UK under the title 'LOVE, LOCKED DOWN' -- out now in ebook and paperback, and also audiobook in...
609K 21.3K 51
For both the families, It was just a business deal. A partnership, that would ensure their 'Billionaire' titles. And to top it all off, they even agr...