Drastically Modified Combined...

By KageNishi

「All of these ships are all weird. It's like a magical fleet.」 An organization built on the knowledge and exp... More

MILITARY PREPARATIONS | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Russo-Japanese War (2)
Chapter 3 - Battleship Fusō
Chapter 4 - World War I
Chapter 5 - Washington Naval Treaty
Chapter 6 - Great Kantō Earthquake (1)
Chapter 7 - Great Kantō Earthquake (2)
Chapter 8 - Fubuki-class Destroyer
Chapter 9 - Myōkō-class Cruiser
Chapter 10 - London Naval Treaty
Chapter 11 - Treaty Aircraft Carrier
Chapter 12 - Circle 3 Plan
Chapter 13 - Modern Refit
Chapter 14 - Retrofitted Ship
Chapter 15 - Politics
OUTBREAK | Chapter 16
Chapter 17 - Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Fleet
Chapter 18 - Admiral Halsey
Chapter 19 - Type 97 Carrier Reconnaissance Plane
Chapter 20 - A6M Model 21 Kou
Chapter 21 - Option
Chapter 22 - D3A Dive Bomber
Chapter 23 - B5N Torpedo Bomber
Chapter 24 - Radar
Chapter 25 - Interception
Chapter 26 - Dauntless
Chapter 27 - Air Defense
Chapter 28 - Second Wave
Chapter 29 - Miscalculation
Chapter 30 - Pursuit
Chapter 31 - Air Strike
Chapter 32 - Destroyer vs Destroyer
Chapter 33 - Heavy Cruiser vs Heavy Cruiser
Chapter 34 - Battleship vs Battleship
Chapter 35 - Drastically Modified Battleship
Chapter 36 - Battleship Tennessee
Chapter 37 - Battleship Ise
Chapter 38 - The Battleship of Conspiracy
BATTLE OF MIDWAY | Chapter 39
Chapter 40 - New Mobile Unit
Chapter 41 - Concentration of Strength
Chapter 42 - Within Expectations
Chapter 43 - Large-Scale Air Defense
Chapter 44 - Return Match
Chapter 45 - Sinking the Carrier
Chapter 46 - Pursuit and Retreat
Chapter 47 - Heavy Cruiser Showdown Again
Chapter 48 - Fluke
Chapter 49 - 23 cm Gun
SECOND BATTLE OF MIDWAY | Chapter 51
Chapter 52 - New Pacific Fleet
Chapter 53 - New Strength
Chapter 54 - Initiative
Chapter 55 - Admiral Mitscher
Chapter 56 - Unconventional Warship
Chapter 57 - Shiden
Chapter 58 - Tenzan
Chapter 59 - Material-Based Air Defense Combat
Chapter 60 - One More Push
Chapter 61 - Shiden Onslaught
Chapter 62 - Tenzan Onslaught
Chapter 63 - Cleaning Up
Chapter 64 - Drastically Modified Combined Fleet

Chapter 50 - Mopping Up

29 2 0
By KageNishi

In order to allow their injured comrades to escape, the four heavy cruisers and six destroyers that stood against them fought fiercely and ultimately rendered them all powerless. Although the four American heavy cruisers were afloat, each one suffered significant damage to its engines, causing them to be immobilized on the water. Furthermore, their ship superstructures were in terrible condition, with visible destruction marks from hits all around. Some even have smokestacks and main gun turrets blown off. The situation was more severe for the destroyers; half of the six had already sunk beneath the sea, and the other three, with numerous holes in their hulls, seemed destined to follow suit. The four Myōkō-class heavy cruisers and a total of eight destroyers from the Asashio and Kagerō classes achieved remarkable results in this battle, to say the least.

Among the remaining enemy forces, there are only two cruisers and fifteen destroyers in the American fleet. These, too, have been relentlessly pounded by the aircraft of the Second Fleet. Both cruisers were in a heavily damaged state, barely afloat, and hardly capable of moving with any speed. The destroyers, on the other hand, were all moving sluggishly, indicating damage to their engines or hulls. The sinking of these ships seemed only a matter of time.

Nevertheless, Rear Admiral Kakuta of the 6th Cruiser Division, the temporary commander of the surface strike force, had no intention of pitying or overlooking these American ships. Both the enemy cruisers and destroyers possessed an unusually strong anti-aircraft capability, causing significant damage to their friendly carrier-based aircraft. Their prowess was not limited to anti-air combat; in ship-to-ship combat as well, they were a formidable threat. Having engaged them in actual combat, they have come to understand that their artillery capabilities were by no means inferior. Therefore, allowing such troublesome opponents to survive and return could spell unknown disaster for the Japanese in the future. If it were possible to deal with them, it should have been done decisively.

The Japanese forces had no significant issues. The heavy cruisers Myōkō and Haguro from the 6th Cruiser Division, commanded by Kakuta, as well as the Nachi and Ashigara from the 7th Cruiser Division, had all sustained hits from multiple 20 cm shells in the exchange with the American heavy cruisers. However, their defense had been reinforced when they upgraded from 20 cm to 23 cm guns. While their superstructures were destroyed, none of the ships had suffered damage to vital areas. All ships were capable of full engine power, and except for the Haguro, which had lost the use of its third turret due to damage, all ships had all their main guns operational. As for the eight destroyers that engaged the six American destroyers, the early saturation torpedo attacks proved effective, resulting in minimal damage to their side. Even though these eight ships had disposed of their torpedoes, all their main guns remained operational.

Kakuta decided to postpone the attack on the two heavily damaged cruisers and focused on eliminating the fifteen destroyers first. The heavy cruisers engaged the American destroyers one-on-one, while the destroyers formed pairs to confront the American destroyers two-on-one. The twelve Japanese heavy cruisers and destroyers, with significantly reduced mobility due to damage to their engines, skillfully positioned themselves advantageously against the impaired American destroyers, shooting shells from beyond the torpedoes' range. Unlike battleships and heavy cruisers with thick armor, destroyers, with their almost nonexistent armor, were vulnerable when on the defensive. Additionally, lacking the mobility to coordinate with their companions, the American destroyers, unable to escape, were riddled with holes by the 10 cm and 12,7 cm shells of the Japanese destroyers that crossed their T. Destroyers targeted by the Myōkō-class heavy cruisers were torn apart by 23 cm shells.

With the sinking of the eight destroyers, the two surviving cruisers and seven destroyers raised white flags. Kakuta did not feel surprised by this turn of events. Perhaps, if it were Japanese commanders, they might have fought to the last ship. However, for the rational and above all, the adverse to dying like a dog attitude of the American military, such a choice was unthinkable. Moreover, the radar on the Myōkō detected a formation approaching from the west. Perhaps the remaining American fleet had also spotted these formations on radar, which might have been a decisive factor in them losing their will to fight.

Kakuta ordered the third attack group, which likely launched from the Second Fleet and Third Fleet, to cease the attack using all communication means such as radio and light signals. The game was over. There was no need to shed any more futile blood.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.2K 1.1K 122
My bucket list in a zombie apocalypse: 1. Stay alive 2. Build a harem 3. Don't trust the government 4. Kick zombie ass (also kick human ass if they v...
326K 13.9K 89
Died and Reincarnated as.... a Demon. well I'm doom. (I do not own any of the photos, except some that I made myself)
21.1K 366 26
This is my first x reader so please go ahead and tell me what you think. Requests are open! :D
11.4K 375 39
He is just a normal college student but when a accident took his life, he found himself in a different world in a new body Not long he would find ou...