Drastically Modified Combined...

By KageNishi

「All of these ships are all weird. It's like a magical fleet.」 An organization built on the knowledge and exp... More

MILITARY PREPARATIONS | Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Russo-Japanese War (2)
Chapter 3 - Battleship Fusō
Chapter 4 - World War I
Chapter 5 - Washington Naval Treaty
Chapter 6 - Great Kantō Earthquake (1)
Chapter 7 - Great Kantō Earthquake (2)
Chapter 8 - Fubuki-class Destroyer
Chapter 9 - Myōkō-class Cruiser
Chapter 10 - London Naval Treaty
Chapter 11 - Treaty Aircraft Carrier
Chapter 12 - Circle 3 Plan
Chapter 13 - Modern Refit
Chapter 14 - Retrofitted Ship
Chapter 15 - Politics
OUTBREAK | Chapter 16
Chapter 17 - Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Fleet
Chapter 18 - Admiral Halsey
Chapter 19 - Type 97 Carrier Reconnaissance Plane
Chapter 20 - A6M Model 21 Kou
Chapter 21 - Option
Chapter 22 - D3A Dive Bomber
Chapter 23 - B5N Torpedo Bomber
Chapter 24 - Radar
Chapter 25 - Interception
Chapter 26 - Dauntless
Chapter 27 - Air Defense
Chapter 28 - Second Wave
Chapter 29 - Miscalculation
Chapter 30 - Pursuit
Chapter 31 - Air Strike
Chapter 32 - Destroyer vs Destroyer
Chapter 33 - Heavy Cruiser vs Heavy Cruiser
Chapter 34 - Battleship vs Battleship
Chapter 35 - Drastically Modified Battleship
Chapter 36 - Battleship Tennessee
Chapter 37 - Battleship Ise
Chapter 38 - The Battleship of Conspiracy
BATTLE OF MIDWAY | Chapter 39
Chapter 40 - New Mobile Unit
Chapter 41 - Concentration of Strength
Chapter 42 - Within Expectations
Chapter 43 - Large-Scale Air Defense
Chapter 44 - Return Match
Chapter 45 - Sinking the Carrier
Chapter 46 - Pursuit and Retreat
Chapter 48 - Fluke
Chapter 49 - 23 cm Gun
Chapter 50 - Mopping Up
SECOND BATTLE OF MIDWAY | Chapter 51
Chapter 52 - New Pacific Fleet
Chapter 53 - New Strength
Chapter 54 - Initiative
Chapter 55 - Admiral Mitscher
Chapter 56 - Unconventional Warship
Chapter 57 - Shiden
Chapter 58 - Tenzan
Chapter 59 - Material-Based Air Defense Combat
Chapter 60 - One More Push
Chapter 61 - Shiden Onslaught
Chapter 62 - Tenzan Onslaught
Chapter 63 - Cleaning Up
Chapter 64 - Drastically Modified Combined Fleet

Chapter 47 - Heavy Cruiser Showdown Again

31 3 0
By KageNishi

The commander of the 6th Cruiser Division, Rear Admiral Kakuta, who commanded the heavy cruisers Myōkō and Haguro, as well as the temporarily assigned heavy cruisers Ashigara and Nachi of the 7th Cruiser Division, was contemplating the four American cruisers that were about to engage in battle. These cruisers were likely of the Northampton or New Orleans classes, both equipped with nine 20 cm guns, which were the standard for the US Navy.

The American heavy cruisers are formidable adversaries. In the Battle of Wake Island, the Japanese heavy cruisers Kumano and Suzuya of the 8th Cruiser Division, along with the Mogami and Mikuma of the 9th Cruiser Division, sank four American heavy cruisers: Minneapolis, Astoria, Quincy, and Vincennes. However, the Japanese cruisers suffered considerable damage, with all ships being hit by numerous 20 cm shells. In the end, it was the superiority of the Japanese Mogami-class heavy cruisers equipped with 23 cm guns that allowed them to overcome the American heavy cruiser fleet.

"But this time is different."

Kakuta, overseeing the two divisions and the four Myōkō-class heavy cruisers, was filled with a determination bordering on ferocity. In the Battle of Wake Island that erupted shortly after the start of the war, only the battleships Nagato and Mutsu of the 1st Battleship Division, Ise and Hyūga of the 2nd Battleship Division, and Yamashiro and Fusō of the 3rd Battleship Division were equipped with precision radar for distance accuracy. No cruiser or vessel below had such equipment.

It was not that the Imperial Japanese Navy lacked an understanding of radar; rather, the bitter experience of the bombing of Hankou had led to a paranoid focus on early warning radar, causing a delay in the development and deployment of radar for gunnery. The Myōkō-class cruisers had only recently been equipped with such radar, which dramatically improved their range-finding accuracy in long-range bombardment.

Although the development of gunnery radar was still in progress and had some issues with azimuth accuracy, the distance accuracy was vastly superior to conventional optical range-finding. The performance of the gunnery control system, including the firing targeting radar, played a decisive role in naval battles.

In the Battle of Jutland, German battleships equipped 28 cm and 30 cm guns but with excellent firing targeting systems and network construction skills sank British cruisers armed with larger 34 cm guns, and even came close to overwhelming a formidable battleship with enormous 38 cm guns. The weight difference between the 38 cm and 30 cm shells was twice as much. In a conventional battle, a ship armed with 30 cm guns should not have been a match for a ship armed with 38 cm guns. However, at that time, German battleships were either on par with or superior to British battleships. The superiority of the command communication and firing control system could easily overcome the disadvantage of gun caliber and shell weight. Furthermore, the Myōkō-class heavy cruisers were equipped with 23 cm guns, and their shell weight was 40% heavier than that of the American heavy cruisers armed with 20 cm guns. Additionally, the American cruisers had already suffered significant damage from Japanese dive bombers.

"If we lose this time, it will be a shame for generations to come," Kakuta muttered to himself in a voice too low for anyone to hear. Just then, a report reaches his ears, indicating that the distance between the two fleets was less than 30.000 meters. Although it is a somewhat distant firing range for heavy cruisers, Kakuta planned to commence firing when the distance between them is less than 25.000 meters. Having gained air superiority, there is no reason not to take advantage of the observation planes. Of course, if they fail to score hits, he is considering the option of closing in for a close-range assault at the right moment.

In the meantime, the distance between the two fleets was rapidly closing, and the second round of the Japanese-American heavy cruiser showdown, following the Battle of Wake Island, is about to begin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.9K 9.9K 25
This is the sequel of RRR, so new readers please read it before starting this book. Agneya, the soon to be crown prince of Rakshatra, was bounded by...
64.5K 2.1K 43
In an ordinary modern world. An ordinary boy, Hui Lu, lives his free daily life. One day two years ago, everything changed. How did I become a littl...
384K 71.6K 13
Everything changed the day the King ordered me to seduce his son and bring him back to the Kingdom. He was my best friend. As per the order of things...
163K 2.6K 19
မြို့အုပ်မင်းရဲ့ဇနီးလောင်းက သူမကြောင့် သေသွားတာကြောင့် သူမကိုလက်ထပ်ပြီး ပြန်ပေးဆပ်ခိုင်းမဲ့ ဇေယျမင်းမောင်