The Gold Paladin

By Rubyrose645

I remember that day like it was yesterday... The day I lost everything... my home, my planet, my family, and... More

Call me.... Novae
Return of Voltron
Training Begins
Form Voltron
Return of the Gladiator
Our First Battle
Party Gone Wrong
Tears of a Balmera
Taking Flight
Rebels
Balmera
Reborn.... Once Again
Venom Nightmares
Collection and Extraction
The Black Paladin
Saving A Paladin
Stranded Across the Universe
The Escape
Goodbye.... Old Friend
Olkarion
Greening the Cube
Escape The Storm
Storm Clouds
Ark of Taujeer
Saving the Ark
In the Lion
The Blades
Welcome to Beta Traz
Stayin' Alive
Begin To Fight
Blackout
Changing Guard
The Red Paladin
The Hunted
Hole in Space
Alternate Reality
Tracking a Comet
The Comet
The Beginning of Her Legend
Code of Honor
Black Site
Her Truth
The First Death: Her weakness, her strength
The Second Death: Her Lie That Saved Lives.
The Third Death: Her Bond Through Tears
The Fourth Death: The One Who Holds Lost Knowledge
The Fifth Death: The Strength. The Shield. The Sacrifice.
The Sixth Death: The Heart. The Smile. The Light.
The Seventh Death: The Armor. The Paladin. The Friend.
50 Chapter Special!!!
Begin the Blitz
The New Defender
The Prisoner
Blood Duel
Postmortem
Kral Zera
Discovery
The White Lion
Secrets and Answers
Golden Shield
Betrayal
I'm Sorry....
All Things Well...
Thank you... For Everything
A Little Adventure
The Road to Estellia
The Way Forward
Estellia
Bringing Back A Lost Star
Pure Starlight
The Last Stand
Return to Earth
Save Earth!
Zaiforge Cannons
Atlas Rises
Lion's Pride PT. 1
Lion's Pride Pt. 2
After the Battle
Launch Date
Prisoner's Dilemma
The Abandoned Ship
Battle Scars
The Grudge
The Genesis
Guardian
Day Forty-Seven
A Golden Celebration
Knights of Light pt. 1
Knights of Light Pt. 2
Knights of Light Pt. 3
Uncharted Regions
The Zenith
The Last Battle...

A Bright Beginning

957 25 21
By Rubyrose645

The day was bright and the clouds were passing through the blue color lazily. This bright clear day shone softly above the planet Estellia, a powerful kingdom that lived in secrecy for over ten thousand years, since the beginning of the war waged by the Galra Empire.

And now that the war was finally ended, thanks to the sacrifice of a past Empress of Estellia, the people could finally travel through the universe once more. Free to spread their power and light to the far corners of the universe.

One person in this vast kingdom however, was watching its people from afar. A long golden haired woman stood on the balcony of her private room, watching as the people below prepared for a great celebration being held that evening.

The sounds of the children rushing to finish their chores and schoolwork in order to enjoy the activities in the evening. The men and womenpreparing the treats and games they would have during the night. And several of the best performers practicing their acts for the celebration.

Novae couldn't help but smile at her bustling kingdom. Never in over ten thousand years had she imagined that her people could be free like this. Smiling, laughing, without a single sense of danger anywhere. The dream she had finally came true.

The universe was free. She fulfilled her promise to her mother and father, destroying the darkness that plagued the universe for so long.

And there, sitting in the middle of the gardens, was the Gold Lion she used to fly across the stars. Since that day a year ago, she flew the Lion here to Estellia, and it hasn't moved since. Without its soul, there was no reason for it to move. It was simply just another machine without a power source.

"Sister?" A voice said behind her, causing the Empress to turn around and smile upon seeing her younger brother Corrinan. Over the past year, he had grown along with his twin brother, Aragon and the rest of their siblings.

"Corrinan, what is it little brother?" Novae asked.

"Luca is asking for you. Something about a final fitting for your evening gown for tonight." He answered with a chuckle, gesturing to the small tuft of red hair that was peeking out from behind the room door.

"Right, right. I'm on my way." Novae then left her room to find Luca, seeing her waiting outside her room door.

"Luca?" She called out.

"Oh, Your Majesty." Luca smiled.

"You know that you could have just walked in and asked for me."

"I know, but Prince Corrinan was already here and I didn't want to disturb you in case you were doing something important and I--"

Novae cut her off by laughing, "Calm yourself, Luca, you're ranting again. Let's get going. There's much to organize for tonight's gathering."

Luca nodded and followed her Empress to go over the last bit of preparations. Ever since the end of the war, Luca was given the choice to either go to the newly formed Altea with Allura, or to go to another planet to start a new life.

Luca chose the latter, and decided to live on Estellia and serve Novae as her Empress. Novae tried to say that she didn't have to stay with her, but Luca had made up her mind, staying right by the woman who saved her life in the war. She actually made quite the life for herself, serving Novae as one of her royal servants. Luca even managed to find someone to love. A bright new life for someone who was lost in the darkness for so long.

Novae enjoyed her life as Empress. She was with her people, her brothers and sisters, and ruling over her beloved planet. And now, she would celebrate again.

Why, you may ask? It has officially been one year since the end of the war. Since Empress Zaurelia of Estellia, the soul of the Gold Lion of Voltron, finally passed on while repairing all reality. Without her sacrifice, no one in the universe, in any universe, would get to see the light of day again.

As they walked down the halls to convene with the rest of her royal court, mainly her younger siblings, they passed a single portrait on the wall. A portrait of the great Empress Zaurelia standing in front of the Gold Lion f Voltron.

Novae smiled at the portrait and continued walking along the corridors, wondering when the rest of her friends would be there to celebrate.

🦁🦁🦁~~~~🦁🦁🦁

High atop the Kral Zera, Kolivan, Krolia, Kosmo and Keith all stood tall and proud, looking out at the fractured Galra Empire surrounding the bottom of the ceremonial monument.

"With the return of plant Daibazaal, the Galra Empre is at a crossroads." Keith announced to the Galra, "For too long, the people of this extraordinary civilization have been manipulated by a dictatorship that placed a misguided sense of self-preservation above all else. It was tragic, unfortunate series of events that led us down this dark, never-ending path of power and greed. But now... we, the citizens of the Galra Empire have an opportunity to make right all of the injustices set into motion by our forefathers. Because of the sacrifice, strength, and courage of a great Empress, we have been given a second chance to come together in rebuilding the Galra Empire by joining the Galactic Coalition and ushering a new era of peace across the universe!"

The Galra cheered below, ready to start their Empire anew. Keith turned around when he felt a hand on his shoulder, seeing his mother smiling at him. She pulled him close and hugged her son tightly.

"You did great, son." She whispered to him. Keith nodded and pulled away.

"You should get going, Keith." Kolivan reminded him, "The trip may be shortened because of the wormhole, but best to be early to a big party."

"Right. And tell Novae that I say hello." Krolia added.

"I will. See ya later." Keith said and went with Kosmo to the Black Lion. Keith changed in the Lion and sped through space to make it in time for the celebration.

🦁🦁🦁~~~~🦁🦁🦁

In a grand dining hall, several aliens were seated to have a feast and to speak about political matters. However, the latter wasn't going as smoothly as one would have hoped.

"Your armies have attacked us at every turn." One of the chancellors shouted.

"If you had just agreed to our terms, the attacks would not be necessary." Another chancellor from the opposite side shouted back.

"You're occupying a peaceful settlement!"

"Our people were starving!"

"Chancellors." Hunk said, bringing their attention towards the Yellow Paladin. He picked up a couple of plates dressed with delicious and exotic food.

"Please, sit. Dinner is served." Hunk went around the table and gave each of the chancellors a plate of delicious food.

"The filet of bandrillo, spiced with the seasoning from the plans of planet Mabo, alongside pilaf of long-grain frolongian brill from the vast fields of Antidoll. And to follow it, a sparkling cider made from the freshly picked berries of the south forests of Estellia. Bon appétit."

Everyone around the table looked down at their plates and began to eat, their eyes widening from the scrumptious flavors coming together.

"Delicious!" One of the chancellors praised the cooking.

"And it wouldn't be possible without the cooperation of all three planets of the Xritoo system." Hunk said and gestured to his cooking crew, "Much like my cooking crew, comprised of aliens from all across the the cosmos working together to bring you this delicious meal. Just like the stars in the sky combining to provide light in the dark universe, the people of your planets working together would achieve more than you could have ever imagined."

Shiro smiled and stood from his seat, "Honor that light by walking the path towards peace."

The chancellors all nodded in agreement and proceeded to talk about negotiations throughout the dinner. When it was all over, Hunk and Shiro their way to the Yellow Lion to fly back to Estellia for the celebration.

"So, have you talked to Novae lately?" Hunk asked.

"Yeah, actually. We couldn't talk for too long, but she said that everything for today was going to plan." Shiro answered with a smile, "It's gonna be great to see everyone all together again."

"Yeah, especially when you're seeing your girlfriend again after what, six months?" Hunk smirked, "I wonder what it's gonna be like when you become Emperor of Estellia."

"Whoa, hey, Hunk. That's not a time we need to think about right now."

"So does that mean you're thinking about it?"

Shiro didn't answer verbally, but from the bright red color on his cheeks, Hunk could tell that he was planning it in the future. He decided to drop it... for now.

🦁🦁🦁~~~~🦁🦁🦁

Pidge smiled in excitement when the beeping from her computer went off, signaling that her program was completely downloaded onto the chip.

"All done." She said, taking the chip and turning back to her brother Matt and their newest creation. It was a humanoid robot that would provide new waves of technological advancements.

"So, have you been thinking of any names?" Matt asked.

"Yeah, I was thinking of Chip." She said with a sly smirk on her lips.

"You and your puns." Matt chuckled at the corny name,

Just then, Colleen came into the lab, "Katie, your father's got the teludav all warmed up for you. Better get going. You don't wanna be late."

Pidge nodded and looked back at her brother.

"Don't worry, Pidge. I'll have Chip all ready to go by the time you get back." He said.

"Just don't initialize until I return. I want to witness Chip's first moments of consciousness." Pidge smiled and put on the final touches to the robot. The glasses that her brother gave her. A symbol of strength and hope for her, now a part of the future they had hoped would be much clearer.

Pidge got into the Green Lion and prepared to fly through he wormhole to Estellia.

"Have a good time, honey." Sam said through the comms, "And tell Novae that the Holt family says hello."

"Thanks, Dad. I will."

Pidge eyed the wormhole and flew through it, excited to see her friends all together again.

🦁🦁🦁~~~~🦁🦁🦁

Lance had just landed the Red Lion on Estellia right near the Gold Lion. He sighed in peace as he got out of the Lion and walked out into the gardens, meeting up withtwo familiar faces of the Estellian family.

"Aromme! Orasis!" He called out, the twins smiling upon seeing him.

"Lance, good to see you friend." Aromme said happily, "We're glad to see that you made it here safely."

"I would have thought that you would bring the Queen along with you." Orasis said.

"Yeah, Allura's coming in the Blue Lion. She said that she was going to bring a gift for Novae." Lance answered.

Orasis shrugged, "Well then, let's get going. The party's in a couple of hours and there's a lot to see."

The twins were about escort Lance to the room prepared for him and the others, when another wormhole opened up in the sky and out came the rest of the Paladins in their Lions.

"Well, looks like they arrived right on time." Aromme said, "Orasis, think you could go get Vae? I'll show the Paladins to their rooms."

Orasis nodded and rushed to go find their sister while the others landed their Lions and came rushing to meet the younger twin and Lance.

All of the Lions bent down and allowed their Paladins to come and greet their friends. Immediately, Allura rushed to Lance and hugged him tightly. Over the past year, since Altea was now completely revived, Allura had become Queen of Altea, along with Coran as her royal advisor and the rest of the Alteans helping her to rule a planet she thought would never be brought back to life.

Soon after Allura was crowned Queen, she and Novae made an official alliance between Estellia and Altea, bringing forth new forms of trade and a new level of friendship that went past just being comrades.

Aromme brought the Paladins to their rooms, showing them where they would each be staying in for the celebration. After they settled, the Paladins were gathered in front of a large door, the rest of Novae's siblings waiting for them to arrive.

"We're glad to have you join us for the first anniversary of the universe's freedom." Narissa smiled.

"And I do hope that you're ready to meet the Empress." Zarus added with a chuckle.

"She had been waiting to see all of you again for quite some time." Aragon said.

"And we don't like to keep our sister waiting." Orasis said, "So it's best if you get going inside."

The Paladins laughed and the doors opened wide, revealing the most beautiful throne room they had ever seen. It was almost like a smaller version of the grand ballroom. Several servants were waiting for commands from their Empress, dark purple cloth was draped over the throne and lighter blue drapes were over the windows, but allowed the sunshine to rain into the room.

And there, sitting high on her throne with three smaller thrones on each of her side, was the Empress of Estellia herself.

Novaleyia Astraelis the First. She was dressed in a beautiful gown of soft purple fading to a shining gold towards the hem of the dress. The sleeves hung off her shoulders, and her hair was tied up high into a tight bun allowing its multiple colors to blend together in a swirl of different shades.

Novae smiled and looked down at her friends, standing from her throne and walking down to greet them.

"It is so good to see all of you together again." Novae said, then turned to Shiro, "And yet you have hardly called. At least Pidge calls every week."

"I'm sorry." Shiro said with a nervous chuckle, "There was a lot to do."

"I understand." Novae said, "Well then, shall we go? The chefs have prepared a fantastic feast for us."

Shiro nodded with the others, offering his arm for her to take as they walked to their private dinner with the others.

🦁🦁🦁~~~~🦁🦁🦁

Everyone sat in front of the Gold Lion, laughing and joking as they caught up with what they were all doing in their little corners of the universe.

"I mean, seriously, though, Earth has come a long way." Pidge said, "It's a hub for all alien activity now that my dad's stabilized his teludav technology."

"That'll make travel on the Atlas much easier." Shiro said, "We'll be able to reach so many more sectors with the improved mobility. Not to mention the supplies we'll save with the shorter journey."

"Yeah, yeah!" We'll have so much more room for the cooking ingredients." Hunk beamed, "People are just so much easier to reason with when they're full." He sighed and looked over to Novae and Allura, "Man, this diplomacy thing isn't nearly as easy as you two make it."

Novae laughed, "It just takes some practice, Hunk. You'll get used to it soon enough."

"Easy for you to say, Novae. You've had ten thousand years to practice this kind of stuff." Lance exclaimed.

Allura laughed and put a hand on Lance's arm to calm him down a little, "Speaking of diplomacy, Keith, how have things been going on Daibazaal?" She asked.

"We're calling for an election to select the Galran representative for the Galactic Coalition. So that's a step in the right direction." Keith answered.

"Let me guess. They asked you to be their leader and you said no?" Lance asked.

"Yeah, pretty much." Keith said.

"Classic Keith." everyone laughed.

Novae sighed and stood up with a cup of cider in her hand, "I know that this has been tough. Picking up the pieces that the war had creating and forming a new image of the universe that we must live in. But with everything we had to go through, we stood tall and strong, fighting for a hope that hardly anyone could see. Zaurelia would be proud to see how the universe is progressing right now. How the light of our hope and the warmth of our strength has filled the universe we fought so hard to save."

Everyone stood up with their cups in hand.

"To the First Gold Empress. To Zaurelia of Estellia!"

"To Zaurelia!" Everyone cheered and raised their cups in the air, celebrating the woman who saved their reality, who saved all reality.

Eventually, the festival ended and everyone retired to their beds. But then, as the moon was rising to its highest point, the Paladins were awakened by a bright light shining through their windows. Shiro nearly panicked when he didn't see Novae sleeping by his side and rushed outside to where the light was coming from.

All of the Paladins raced outside to the gardens where the Lions were sitting, and as soon as they got out there, they saw that the lights were coming from the Lions' glowing eyes. All of them were floating in the sky, all but the Gold Lion who remained closer to the ground. Novae was standing in front of the Gold Lion, her hands clasped to her chest as she smiled and cried.

The Paladins all stared at their Lions in awe, somehow knowing that this would be the last time they would see them in their lives.

Keith and Shiro looked up at their Black Lion, Keith glancing at the Red Lion for a moment.

Pidge stared at her Green Lion.

Hunk watched his Yellow Lion glow brightly.

Allura looked up at the Blue Lion with Lance.

Shiro walked up to Novae and wrapped his arm around her waist. She sighed and waved her arm high in the air.

"I'll see you again... Zaurelia." She shouted. The others followed her lead and waved goodbye to their Lions as they flew away into the stars.

Thus... came the end of their adventure as Paladins. And triggered the start of another adventure in their lives.

~~~~~Three years later~~~~

Once more, the group of Paladins were gathered together for their yearly celebration of the universe being gathered together. But Novae had a surprise for their celebration. Something that was even more exciting than the time Shiro and her were married.

That's right, Shiro asked Novae to marry him, and the ceremony was nothing short of beautiful. They said their vows when both suns were up high and partied until they went down. Though it wasn't surprising, it was however surprising how quickly Shiro proposed and on her birthday nonetheless.

But this time...

Novae chuckled as she heard the others joking and laughing over their catching up.

"Well, I see that I'm late for the party." She joked.

"Not possible, Novae!" Pidge said, running up to hug her.

"Yeah, it wouldn't be a party without the host and Empress of the planet." Keith said and laughed.

"Well, shall we get the party started?" Allura asked.

Everyone nodded and sat down, preparing to eat when Novae stayed standing.

"Novae, aren't you going to eat?" Hunk asked.

She shook her head, "Actually, before we eat, I wanted to tell all of you something."

Everyone looked at her confused and Shiro stood up concerned.

"Are you all right, Novae?" He asked.

"I'm actually quite well." She answered,  and coughed to clear her throat, "As you all may already know, Estellia has been forming alliances with planets that I once helped throughout the war. It has expanded my kingdom and bringing new friendships along with it. Now, we have a new addition to Estellia, one that will make the planet and the universe all the stronger."

"Really?" Lance asked, "Who's the ally?"

Novae smiled even brighter and took Shiro's hand.... placing it on her stomach.

"It's going to be the next prince or princess of Estellia." She said.

Shiro's eyes went wide. Keith and Hunk were equally shocked. Lance had his jaw hanging down to the ground. But Allura was beaming with joy and crying just a little.

"You're kidding me...." Shiro couldn't believe it.

"YOU'RE PREGNANT!?" Everyone else shouted. Novae nodded.

"I only found out a week ago and I wanted to tell all of you together. What better day to tell you all than today?" Novae said, "I know we didn't plan this for a little while, but even a shock could be excit--"

Novae stopped short of her sentence when Shiro laughed and scooped her up in his arms, spinning her around in the air.

"I can't believe it! I'm gonna be a father! This is crazy!" He shouted and sat her down on the floor so everyone could celebrate with her.

They all gave their congratulations, immediately prattling on about baby names, if the baby would be a boy or a girl. But nevertheless, they were all excited for the baby, or babies since twins were common in the Estellian royal family, to come and greet the universe.

~~~~~Months later~~~~~

It had been eight months since the last celebration, and right now, nerves were running wild. Shiro couldn't stop pacing in front of his and Novae's bedroom, the nurses and doctors having been in there for hours.

Why was he so worried? It was the day that his first born child would come into the world. And as any first time father would say, the nerves hit you hard and quick. The other Paladins were there as well, watching as Shiro almost paced a rut into the floor.

"Shiro... sit down and relax." Keith said, "It's gonna take time, you know that."

"I know, but this is my first kid. It's natural to be nervous." Shiro said and sighed, leaning up against the wall.

"Well, I guess I can understand how you're feeling." Pidge said, "After everything we've been through, this is something even more crazy. Going into parenthood. It's a little bit to take in."

"Yeah, you've got that right, Pidge." Hunk agreed.

Lance laughed and glanced over at Allura, who too was almost ready to have their first born child. They got married about a few months after Shiro and Novae were married, the two getting engaged a month before the Estellian royal wedding. But they only told the others afterwards.

Allura was only about five months pregnant, expecting their son, Alfon, in about four more months. But right now, they were focused on Novae and her child.

Just another hour had passed when the doors finally opened, the doctor in charge of the birth smiling widely.

"Well, is everything all right? Are Novae and the baby okay?" Shiro asked.

The doctor nodded, "Congratulations, Emperor Takashi. You are the proud father of a healthy and beautiful Princess."

Everyone cheered, congratulating Shiro on the birth of his daughter.

"Go. Be with the Empress and Princess." The doctor said and allowed everyone to walk in.

Quietly and carefully, they all walked into the room. Novae's siblings and the nurses were surrounding Novae and her newborn baby, cooing at the new life brought into the world.

The nurses noticed Shiro and the others and backed away so that he could meet his daughter. Even Novae's siblings backed away so the Paladins could see her.

Shiro walked up to the side of the bed and saw his wife smiling gently at a bundle of white cloth in her arms. And wrapped in that bundle of cloth was his newborn daughter.

"Takashi... everyone..." Novae said and smiled up at her friends and husband, "Meet the newest member of the Estellian royal family. Takashi, would you like to hold her?"

Shiro hesitantly held out his arms and took the baby, holding her carefully like she was a piece of fragile glass. The baby girl looked almost exactly like her mother. Her tanned, the soft blue Altean markings, the Glaran stripe on the back of her neck. It all resembled her mother.

She did have golden hair, but near the roots were faded highlights of blue, black and white, with a small tuft of white hair on her growing hairline. There were even small sparkles on her face.

The baby girl smiled at her father, holding his metal finger with love.

"Welcome to the world." Shiro said.

"Well, got any names for her?" Keith asked.

"Yeah, what's the name of the first Princess of Estellia?" Pidge asked eager to know like the others.

Novae smiled and gently stroked her daughter's cheek.

"We decided that if the baby was a girl, we would name her after the strongest person I have ever met." Novae said, "Everyone, welcome to the royal Estellian family.... Princess Zaurea Shirogane Astraelis the First."

Everyone gushed over the baby girl, the princess Zaurea feeling every bit of love they had for her.

~~~~~Fifteen Years After End of War~~~~

Novae stood in the fields of her kingdom, thinking of how much things have changed in not even twenty years after such a terrifying and cruel war. In front of her were two of her children.

Her first daughter, Zaurea, grew into a respectable and beautiful young lady. Being only fifteen years old, she learned much about the kingdom she would one day rule if she so wished. She inherited all the grace and beauty that her mother had.

Standing in front of Zaurea was her little brother, only two years younger than her, Haruto Shirogane Astraelis. The boy looked like his father with his black hair, dark eyes, and light skin tone. The only difference in appearance were the gold Altean markings on his cheeks and the gold to white coloring on the front tuft of his hair. He inherited not just his father's looks, but his personality. A natural born leader, and as his name suggests, a protector of those who needed him.

Novae sighed and looked down at the little girl in her arms, sleeping the day away as she took her nap. It was Cressida, Novae and Shiro's second daughter. It was only natural that they give her a name that meant gold, since she was born with mostly golden hair. The little girl did have a white streak in her hair and a small bang of blue on the front, but her skin tone matched her father's and the purple Galran marking matched her mother's.

The Empress of Estellia watched her children play and laugh.

"I am so lucky." She said to herself.

"If you're lucky, then luckier." Shiro said as he walked up to her side, watching their children.

"I never imagined, not in a million years that I would get to stand here, watching my children grow up on Estellian soil."

"Well, I never imagined that I would get to fly a large black Lion and fight in an intergalactic war. Much less meet an amazing woman like you."

Novae chuckled, "You and your flattery. It's gotten better over the years."

"No it hasn't."

"Oh really. Then why do we have three children, Takashi?"

Shiro blushed and laughed, the two of them going back to watching their children.

The next generation of legendary defenders.

The next step towards a greater future.

The stars that would shine even after their light disappeared from the universe.

It wasn't the end of the Paladin's stories.....

It was just a new beginning for those would could come after them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250K 11.2K 40
Lol, first Klance! Hope you all enjoy! Keith has been haunted since he fought with the Druid. His hand... It just healed... That wasn't a normal thin...
71.8K 1.8K 23
It's been months since The Paladins found the Blue Lion and flew off into space. It's been months since they started fighting against Zarkon and The...
92.4K 4.1K 14
Lance is fed up. In all his years, he has only known life inside the Castle of Lions. As he described it, a prison cell disguised as an extravagant h...
21K 297 28
[DISCONTINUED/BEING REWRITTEN] Cover art done by me! This story is a romantic drama that puts you into the universe of Voltron Legendary Defenders. T...