A Gambling Man // Ryan x OC

By undercoverbookworm1

Everybody knows the Dutton Family but none of them have made a name for themselves quite like the youngest, M... More

Prologue
Her life
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
2: Prologue
2: Her Life
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
3: Prologue
3: Her Life
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
4: Prologue
4: Her Life
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
46
47
48
49
5: Prologue
5: Her Life
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
A/N
59

45

3.1K 102 3
By undercoverbookworm1

Mae walked down the stairs of the house, Ryan was already up and working with the rest of the Wranglers. Beth walked down the stairs and over to her sister. 

"Morning, Beth," Mae greeted as the two entered the kitchen. 

"You're always going to be there for Daddy and Rip, right?" Beth asked without greeting Mae back. 

"Yes, you know that. What's this about?" Mae asked as she stared at her sister. 

"Can you watch after the kid for me too?" Beth asked. 

"Beth, what the hell is going on?" Mae asked confused. 

"Just please," Beth asked and Mae nodded. The older sister walked over and wrapped her arms around Mae. 

"Beth, you're scaring me," Mae told her but she only tightened her hold on Mae. 

"I love you and am so proud of you, Baby sister. Always remember that," Beth told her. 

"I love you too," Mae told her. 

Beth pulled away from the hug and patted her sister's shoulder before leaving the house. Mae stared after her, confused and worried. Beth wasn't okay, there was something seriously wrong. 

"Morning, Sweetheart," John called as he entered the room. 

"Morning, Daddy. Is everything alright with Beth? Has she talked to you?" Mae asked him. 

"We had a fight last night but sorted it out this morning," John told her. 

"Fight?" Mae asked confused. She stayed in the bunkhouse last night because she got home late from hanging out with Kayce, Monica, and Tate. 

"She got Summer arrested," John told her. 

"What?" Mae asked confused. She didn't care about the hippie but she knew that her dad wanted them to leave her alone. 

"She got her to protest the airport with a bunch of other people and the news to cover it, physical assault on the officers," John explained and Mae ran her hands through her hair. 

"Daddy, this is bad. Beth works for Market Equities now, if they find out that she's conspiring to tear the company down from the inside out, she could be accused of Corporate Espionage. That's some serious jail time," Mae told him. 

John sighed as he ran his hand down his face, "Shit. We both know your sister, she can make a deal with the devil and still come out on top. If she's not worried, we don't have to be." 

"Dad, there's something off about her. She's worried, she's scared," Mae told him. 

"When your sister comes to us, we'll figure it out," John assured as he kissed her head. Mae nodded, she wasn't so sure Beth would be coming to visit them. 

"Are you not going to work today?" John asked. 

"Ryan made me promise to wait at least a week for the stitches to heal a bit more," Mae told him. 

"Smart man. I like him more and more each day," John replied with a grin and Mae rolled her eyes at him. 

"What are you going to do today then? Because there's no way in hell I will allow you to get on a horse," John told her. 

"Introduce Evie to the wonderful world of Disney," Mae replied and John chuckled. 

"Go get her and I'll make you some hot cocoa," John told her. 

"I love you, Daddy," Mae grinned at him. 

"I love you too, Sweetheart."

xxx

The next day Mae walked over to Ryan and Colby sitting on the fence and drinking beers while the rest practised their roping. She was growing bored by not working but she did promise Ryan that she would give it a break. 

"Hi, Darlin'," Ryan grinned as he moved over to give her some space on the fence. She climbed up and greeted both him and Colby. 

"Hey, Sweet Tooth, you not roping?" Teeter called out to Colby. 

"We're on cooler patrol," Colby called back as he handed Mae a beer. She nodded in thanks before curling into Ryan's side. 

"Come on, don't be intimidated. You got to come up here and rope with Mama," Teeter called back. 

"Yeah get out there and rope with Mama, this cooler's going to be safe with us," Ryan grinned back. 

"Go on Colby, she likes her boy toys to be obedient," Mae teased and Ryan choked on his beer from laughter. 

"Fuck you both. Your jokes are getting old," Colby shook his head, but even he couldn't keep the small grin off of his face from Mae's comment. 

"Not even a little," Ryan shook his head. 

"Like super old," Colby replied. 

"They age like fine wine," Ryan added. 

"Just accept the fact that we're always going to be funny," Mae replied. 

"There are turtles that live two hundred and fifty years, your jokes are older," Colby told them. 

"Are you three a throuple?" the new girl that arrived with Jimmy asked. Laramie choked on her laughter and even Mae chuckled. 

"In Colby's dreams," Mae replied while Laramie busted out laughing. Ryan couldn't keep the grin off of his face as he kissed her while Colby shook his head at the two. 

"I'm Mae Dutton, and you are?" Mae asked as she reached out her hand for the new girl to shake. 

"Dutton, like the owner of the ranch?" The girl asked as she shook Mae's hand and Mae nodded, "Wow, um I'm Emily, Jimmy's fiance." 

"Fiance? When did Jimmy get a fiance?" Mae asked confused. 

"Down in Texas," the brown-haired girl replied. 

"Congratulations. He's a good guy," Mae told her and the girl smiled back. 

"Thank you. He's really something," Mae watched as the girl turned back to watch Jimmy with a fond smile on her lips. Jimmy looked back and winked which made the girl blush, they really were in love. 

Mae turned and smacked Ryan on the arm. 

"Ow! What was that for?"

"For not telling me Jimmy was engaged!" 

"I'm sorry, we've all been pretty busy and I just found out last night," Ryan chuckled as he kissed her cheek. 

"I guess you're forgiven," Mae smiled back. 

"You know, she's the vet for the Four Sixes and you're our vet," Colby told the two girls. 

"Really?" Emily asked excited to have someone that understands her profession. 

"Yeah, I own the Dutton Veterinary Clinic in Boseman," Mae told her. 

"No way, my professors always talked about that place. Said it was the best damn internship anyone can hope for," Emily smiled excitedly. 

"Well if you're in town again, I can show you," Mae offered. 

"That would be amazing. Thank you so much," Emily grinned. Mae wouldn't say it in front of Laramie but Emily was a much better fit for Jimmy than that barrelracer and Mae liked her a whole lot more. 

"Hey, go fucking get'em, Baby!" Laramie called after Walker when it was his turn to rope. 

"You do realise that this isn't an actual rodeo, right?" Colby asked her. 

"Yeah, we're just you know playing, just for fun," Ryan added. 

"Sure sure sure," she replied with a smirk. 

"Next up, old-timers!" Ryan called out and Mae laughed at the offended look on Jake's face. 

"Old-timers? Hell, I'm only thirty-six!" Jake called back. 

"Thirty-six?!" Ryan and Colby shouted in shock. 

"I thought you were fifty," Ryan added and Mae nudged him in the side to stop being mean. 

"You motherfuckers drink that cooler dry and I'm going to be roping your asses next!" Rip shouted as he pointed at Ryan and Colby. 

They all watched as Jake and Lloyd practiced their roping. Jake grinned at their victory before turning back to shout; "How's that for old farts?" 

"Does it hurt your arthritis or anything when you swing that rope around?" Colby called back. 

"You're both assholes," Mae laughed and they grinned at each other. 

Next up were Rip and Jimmy. Jimmy was really good with that rope and Mae was completely impressed by him. 

"Oh wow, looks like Texas was real good for little Jimmy. He grew up and he learned a lot," Mae told them as she stared at the young man. 

"I don't understand the world anymore," Ryan muttered as he also stared at Jimmy shocked. 

"He's a hand, ain't he?" Emily smiled dreamily as she watched him before jumping down from the fence to walk over to him. 

"Dogs are purring. Cats are barking. I don't understand anything anymore," Colby agreed with Ryan as he also stared at the scene in front of them. 

"You two are fucking crazy, you know that? Like bananas in the brain." Laramie asked them. 

"A barrel racer girl just called us crazy," Ryan replied. 

"Yeah, I know. I just don't know how to respond," Colby added. 

"It's because you two assholes know she's right," Mae told them and Laramie high-fived her. 

After everyone put the horses back in the barn, they joined the group around the cooler. 

"How the fuck did you hurt your knee while roping a steer?" Colby asked Walker. 

"I didn't hurt it while roping a steer. I hurt it while fucking your mother the other night," Walker replied. 

"No, fuck you. First Jimmy, now you? You're all fucked up," Colby replied. 

"Okay, now I have to see what Colby's mom looks like because she's got all of you fucking crazy," Mae said and everyone continued to tease the hell out of Colby. 

Everyone turned and saw Gator ringing the dinner bell, "I've been ringing this thing for a fucking hour!" 

Mae furrowed her eyebrows, nobody heard the bell over all the chatter. 

"Come join us, baby!" Teeter called back but Gator was already walking away from the group. 

"We're sorry, Gator!" Mae called out. 

"Go have some fucking whiskey and chill out, Gator," Colby called back to him. 

"We're coming," Rip assured the man and urged everyone to walk after him. 

xxx

Mae, Ryan, and Rip walked into the main house to join John, Beth, and the kid for dinner but Beth was a no-show. Charlie walked down the stairs while carrying Evie. 

"Did you try calling her?" John asked Rip. 

"Yeah, she didn't answer," Rip replied. 

Mae stood to the side with Ryan's arm around her. She was worried and scared, Beth'd been acting strange since yesterday morning. She just wanted her sister to be safe. 

"Should I be worried?" John asked.

"Yes," Mae said at the same time that Rip said, "I'm worried enough for the both of us." 

"Maybe she's just working late?" Charlie asked. 

Right at that moment Beth walked into the door in one of her going-out dresses, not really an office or everyday look; "Sorry I'm late. So, before dinner, I've got a little business to take care of. Everybody outside." 

Everyone started following her while John called after her; "What business, Honey?" 

"Everybody out, come on. Outside!" 

 Ryan wrapped Mae's coat around her before shrugging on his jacket. When they all walked outside Beth was moving the chairs with a priest. 

"Beth! What the hell are you doing?" John called out. 

"We're worried about you," Mae added. 

"Who's the priest?" Ryan asked. 

"There's something that I gotta do tomorrow and I want to be a married woman when I do it." 

"Honey, let's do this right, right? Let me and your sister plan. Hell, she's already got one of those board thingies - what do you call it?"

"I don't give a shit about the wedding, Dad. Mae and Ryan can give you the proper one. I just care about the marriage," Beth told him and Mae smiled at her sister. She planned Beth and Rip's wedding as best as she could but nothing could be more perfect for them than this. 

"Honey, that's a priest. We aren't fucking Catholic," John told her. 

"I don't care. He can sign the thing, right? That's all that matters." 

"I can't believe this is happening right now but I'm so happy for you!" Mae cheered as she engulfed her sister in a hug. 

"Be my maid of honor?" Beth asked. 

"Yes!" Mae grinned as she kissed Beth's cheek. 

"Are you really okay with this?" John asked Mae. 

"Daddy, Beth's fucking crazy. This is their perfect wedding," Mae assured him and he nodded. 

"Yeah, you're fucking right," John agreed. 

Rip ran off and came back a few minutes later with Lloyd to be his best man. 

"The groom is?" The priest asked Beth as everyone waited for Rip and Lloyd. 

"Big guy, black hat," Beth told him. 

"So, you can stand here," the priest told Rip. 

"And you take her hand and walk her to what would be an alter," he told Rip. 

"Maid of honor stands here," he directed Mae. 

"And you are?" he asked Lloyd. 

"I'm the best man," Lloyd replied. 

"You stand beside him, across from the maid of honor," he told him. 

The priest turned to look at Ryan, Charlie, Evie, and Carter. 

"Groomsmen," Rip told the priest while pointing at Ryan. Ryan looked shocked but walked past him and patted him on the back after the priest directed him to stand next to Lloyd. 

"Bridesmaid and flower girl," Beth pointed at Charlie and Evie, who moved to stand by Mae after hugging Beth. 

"I'm just the stall cleaner," Carter replied and Mae chuckled softly as she winked at the boy. He was more than that, being at the wedding proved that. 

"The stall cleaner can stay where he is. All right here we go," the priest gestured at John and Beth.

"I'm so glad we wore dresses," Charlie whispered to Mae who nodded in agreement. 

All of them watched as John walked Beth down the metaphorical aisle. Mae couldn't keep the huge smile from her lips as she watched the two. This was her sister's moment, it was strange and chaotic but so very much Beth. It was the perfect wedding for the hurricane of a couple. 

"Who gives away the bride?" the priest asked. 

"Me. I'm the- I'me the father," John told him. He smiled at Beth before leaning over and kissed the side of her head before backing away. 

"So, normally I would say a few things about the couple but I have no idea who you people are. So, I will just move onward to the vows." 

Mae smiled as she watched Rip recite the marriage vows to her sister. When it was Beth's turn to recite she cut the priest off, "Fuck, yes I do." 

She then pulled Rip in for a kiss and Mae laughed as her sister ignored the bewildered priest. 

"You do, I suppose. Are there rings?" 

"No, rings," Beth said but Rip shook his head. 

"Hold on, I have one. Here it is," Rip took Beth's hand, who stared at him in shock. 

"It was my mother's ring. We didn't have much, Beth, we were poor but it's yours and so am I," Rip told her. Mae felt her eyes water with happy tears for the two. They were so perfect for each other. 

"I now pronounce you husband and wife," the priest declared. Mae and Charlie cheered while Beth and Rip hugged. 

"Thank you, uh, Thank you for doing this Father," John told him. 

"Oh, you're welcome," he replied, "And don't worry, I won't press charges." 

"Charges?" John asked. 

"Sorry, Daddy. I had to kidnap him," Beth told them and Mae felt her jaw drop in shock while Ryan laughed. 

"Of course you did," Charlie added while Evie squealed in agreement and everyone laughed again. 

"If I could get a ride back to my church, I would appreciate it," the priest stated. 

"Hold on, Hold on. How exactly did she kidnap you?" John asked.

"I would like to know that as well," Mae stated. 

"Pistol," the priest replied. 

"It was just a little one," Beth informed while showing with her hands how small the gun was.

"Okay, come on," Rip took her hand and the two jogged away before anyone could say anything else. 

"This family," Ryan shook his head while chuckling as he walked over and hugged Mae. 

"Get used to it, bub," she teased back as she kissed him. 

"Why don't I take you home myself?" John asked the father. 

"Hot damn! That was beautiful," Lloyd called out. 

"They all like that?" Carter asked. 

"Hell, kid ain't none of them like that," Lloyd replied before walking away with Carter. John and the priest left for the truck. 

"I don't think any of us should be going into the house for a while," Mae told the others. 

"Yeah, wanna go grab Gator? We can play poker by the chairs?" Ryan asked. 

"Perfect. I'll get Gator, snacks, and Evie's pack'n play. You two set up the chairs, get the cards and booze," Charlie agreed. 

"Hell of an after-party," Mae grinned as she wrapped her arms around Ryan before kissing him. 

xxx

The next morning Mae and the rest of the wranglers stood next to the Four Sixes truck to greet Jimmy and Emily. They were both going back to Texas, Jimmy will now be working there full-time. Ryan couldn't keep the grin off of his face as he watched her stand in his flannel shirt. He adored it when she wore his clothes, especially outside.

"Safe travels, brother," Jake greeted first as he shook Jimmy's hand. 

"See you around, Jake," Jimmy replied. 

"Yes, sir." 

"It was a pleasure meeting you. Just don't ever hit me like you hit her," Jake told her. Ryan told Mae that when Jimmy came back Mia was still here and thought that he would go back to her after she broke up with him. After the barrel racer saw Emily she punched Jimmy and all hell broke loose. In the end, Emily beat the shit out of her. Mae was really upset that she missed that. 

"Pleasure was mine," Emily laughed back. 

"See you around Jimmy," Ethan greeted him. 

"See you," Jimmy shook his hand. 

Teeter walked over and handed Jimmy a going away gift, "Now, listen. When you get back to Texas, you two start making babies and have yourselves a wonderful life, okay?" 

"You understand a word that she just said?" Jimmy asked and Mae rolled her eyes. 

"Something about our Taxes?" Emily asked back. 

"Come here," Ryan pulled Jimmy into a hug and patted him on his back. 

Colby reached out to do the same but Jimmy said; "Actually I'm going to see you Thanksgiving at your mom's house." 

Colby laughed and hugged him. 

"You really turned into a good man. I'm proud of you. You're not the same kid that stumbled onto this ranch with no fucking idea which way was up or down. Texas is good for you, Emily is good for you. Don't fuck it up," Mae told him and he smiled as he wrapped her into a hug. 

"I won't. Thank you for everything. Your kindness and acceptance, I will never be able to repay you." 

Mae pulled back and smiled; "Being a good husband for Emily is payment enough for me." 

She patted his cheek before turning to Emily; "It was a pleasure meeting you. Keep him in line and here's a little engagement present." 

"Oh, you didn't have to," Emily's eyes widened at the box that Mae took from Ryan and handed it to them. 

"I wanted to," Mae had called in a favor and had it delivered from Bozeman early that morning. 

Jimmy lifted the lid to see two cowboy hats. A black and white one. The black one was for him and the white one was for and underneath their initials had been branded onto them. 

"This is too much," Jimmy shook his head. 

"No, it's not. It's for your big day." 

"They're perfect. Thank you again," Emily brought the youngest Dutton into another hug. 

"Anytime," Mae smiled back. 

"See you around Walker," Jimmy shook his hand.

"You were right about that chili. No beans in that shit," Walker told him. Mae and Ryan's eyebrows furrowed in confusion but Colby just shook his head and said, "Don't ask." 

"Big old howdy for those boys in Texas for me?" Walker asked. 

"Yes, sir." 

The couple walked pasted Laramie, Jimmy greeting her with a "Ma'am." 

Lloyd tipped his hat at Jimmy before walking away. Mae smiled sadly at him. He cared deeply about the kid and this departure must be hurting him really badly. 

"Come here Jimmy," Rip walked away with him to talk to him. 

Mae leaned into Ryan's side and he wrapped his arms around her as they watched the two leave. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300K 5.6K 48
What if Andy had dark past before she became a cop. What if after her mother left she became a different person, so her father sent her to spend her...
3.5K 52 4
Hayley Parker is a Dutton at heart she has been since the day she set foot on the Yellowstone Ranch, her home. She became family to the Duttons, fall...
4.7M 253K 50
COMPLETED - Like every average person, Ella Schulz had no idea there were such things as Lycanthropes and Vampires. She went about her life blissfull...
18K 294 26
Katie had a really bad life before he met Raymond. He works for a big drug dealer, so they have some debates. Ray endangers Katie. But they are so in...