The Billionaire's Offer

By CelesteABrook

[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] After seeing the women's shelter she worked hard to build burn down to the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44

Chapter 15

1.9K 149 29
By CelesteABrook

Asher

My heart is pounding its way out of my chest as I make my way to the conference room.

Just minutes ago, my PA sent me a link with pictures of Emma, and the urge to drop everything and rush to her side was overwhelming, even though I knew it was irrational. After all, she'd done nothing wrong.

The hint of familiarity I saw in that man's eyes when he looked at Emma bothered me more than I care to admit. And the way he seemed to hang on her every word, while I was stuck in a never-ending meeting was ridiculous.

We arrived at the company early today, and the tension in the air was palpable.

Max, despite his attempts to play it cool, has been a bundle of nerves all day.

My head feels like it might explode, but there's nothing more I can do. It's up to the board now to decide the company's future.

The grand mahogany table stands as a silent witness to the forthcoming decision the board is about to make. I can't help but feel its imposing presence as I make my way inside the room.

As the board members take their seats, my heart races. I glance around the room, taking in their expressions. Some appear resolute, while others still harbor doubt. Henry's scowl hasn't lessened, and his eyes remain locked onto mine with a vicious intensity.

Max, although recovering, remains seated at the head of the table, ready to oversee the proceedings. "Ladies and gentlemen," he begins, his voice steady, "it's time to cast our votes."

One by one, the board members begin to cast their votes. Their choices remain hidden, known only to themselves and the universe. The suspense is almost unbearable, and the room is shrouded in silence.

My pulse quickens with each paper ballot that falls into the box. I resist the urge to glance at Henry, whose eyes seem to bore into me. Instead, I keep my gaze down, counting the minutes until this is over.

Once the last vote is cast, Max stands and addresses the room. "Thank you all for your participation. We'll now tally the votes."

The tension in the air tightens even further as the delicate process of counting the ballots begins. Seconds feel like an eternity, and I swear I've never been so anxious in my life.

Finally, Max clears his throat and speaks. "The results are in."

The room is silent, expectant, as Max continues, "The board has voted in favor of Asher Sullivan serving as the interim CEO of Sullivan Inc."

A wave of relief washes over me, and I let out a deep breath. Henry's scowl deepens, and anger pours off him as he leaves the room without saying a word to me.

But I've proven myself. I don't owe him anything.

The next few minutes blur into a whirlwind of congratulations and business discussions.

I feel like I'm having an out-of-the-body experience; as if the scene unfolding before me is a dream I'm about to wake up at any moment now.

Max's laughter draws me back to reality. He's chuckling at something someone told him but suddenly his eyes meet mine from across the room. Pride and relief fill his gaze.

The board's decision marks a new chapter in my life where I will lead the company and protect our family's legacy.

And I have no idea how I ended up here.

*****

It's almost seven when I pull up in front of the shelter. An hour later than I told Emma I'd be here. It was a struggle to tear myself away from the mountain of work on my desk and ignore the stack of emails and messages clamoring for my attention.

I'm hungry. Tired. Moody. But as soon as she leaves the building, a burst of life enters my lungs.

Leaning against my car, I watch her approach, her arms encircling my neck as my hand instinctively finds her waist.

This. Fuck. This is exactly what I needed.

"So?" She holds my gaze, and I let out a deep breath.

"I'm in," I say, my lips curling into a smile when she pulls me into a hug and lets out a joyful squeal.

"Oh my goodness!" She slaps my chest playfully. "I was dying over here, Asher."

"I wanted to tell you in person." I shrug.

She places her hand on my chest, tilting her head back to meet my gaze. "I thought you'd be happier?"

"I am. I'm just exhausted, I guess."

Her lips brush softly against my jaw, and her fingers slide up to push a strand of hair from my face. My grip on her waist tightens, and I turn my head, letting our lips brush together. She draws away slightly to look at me, and my heart swells in my chest.

She is the only thing keeping me sane right now.

"I'm sorry about the pictures..." she whispers, her eyes searching mine.

"He's in love with you, Em."

"I owed him a conversation, Asher." She sighs, stepping away.

I let her, my arms crossing over my chest. "What? Were you guys dating and you forgot to tell me?"

She rolls her eyes. "He's a good friend."

"A good friend who is in love with you."

She raises her brows. "A good friend who was here when I needed him."

"Right." I look away, catching the underlying message. He was there for her when I wasn't.

"Ash..." She sighs, biting her lower lips nervously. "I don't want to fight with you." Her voice quivers, and her body tenses with a vulnerability that belies the situation.

I frown. "I don't want to fight with you either."

She takes another step back, her head shaking. "I need to have my independence and have my friends. I'm not giving up my life–"

"Whoa!" I grab her hands, pulling her back to me. "What are you talking about? I'm just saying I'm not comfortable with the situation. People will start prying and speculating about you and him. And I'm not okay with them talking shit about you."

She shakes her head. "So, you're asking me what? To stop talking to him? To fire him from the volunteer work he's doing?"

My eyes drop to her mouth as I exhale. "I'm asking you to kiss me so we can start over."

She softens. "You have no reason to be jealous."

"Kiss me." I tug her closer.

"Bossy and jealous," she murmurs, a faint grin gracing her lips. "Is that how it's going to be when I become Mrs. Sullivan?"

"I'm not jealous..." I kiss her jaw, then her neck, my heart racing as her words sink in. Mrs Sullivan. Jesus. I never thought I'd have this with her. I could've never imagined it was in the cards for us. And as twisted as we got here, I can't wait to make it official.

She cups my cheek and pulls back slightly to meet my eyes. "So, you admit you're just being bossy?"

I let out an involuntary chuckle. "Let's get out of here. I want to show you something."

*****

"Is the blindfold really necessary?" Emma asks as soon as we step out of the elevators.

No, I silently admit. It does seem a bit silly that I blindfolded her, but I wanted to surprise her, and it was the first idea that popped into my head.

Standing behind her, I hold her waist and take a deep breath. I can't remember ever feeling this nervous before – not when the board voted earlier today, not even when I saw her again after years apart.

My hands tremble with anticipation as I fumble slightly with the keycard. When the door finally clicks open, I gently usher Emma inside.

"Okay, you can take it off now," I tell her.

Emma unties the blindfold and slowly opens her eyes. "I don't get it..." She smiles, looking around.

I can't help but smile as I watch her taking in the beauty of our future home.

Walking over to her, I wrap my arms around her waist from behind and rest my chin on her shoulder. "I wanted this place to be our fresh start, Emma. A place where we can build a life together."

"What?" Her gasp of amazement warms my heart as she takes it all in. The open space is flooded with natural light from the massive windows that offer a breathtaking view of the city. The sleek, modern design is accented by tasteful decor and warm colors, creating an inviting atmosphere.

But it's pretty much empty.

My hope is that we can make it more like us when we move in together.

"Do you like it?" I ask her.

She turns to face me, wrapping her arms around my neck. "We've been at a party here before when we were younger."

My heart warms as tears glisten in her eyes. "Yeah... The elderly couple who used to live here shared their story about meeting later in life and building a home for themselves in this place."

"And I told you I wanted a place exactly like this when I got married."

"Yeah..."

Her eyes sparkle. "You've just earned a lot of brownie points with me, Mr."

"Does that mean you're cooking for me from now on?"

"Don't push your luck," she murmurs, sealing her lips with mine and making me feel like the luckiest person in the world right now.

_____

A/N: Aw!!! Did he earn some brownie points with you guys too?

Please remember to vote every time you hit a new chapter!<3

XOXO

Celeste

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.6M 810K 64
Alexander James is at the top of the food chain with his multi billion dollar company. Just the sound of his name makes men's blood boil in jealousy...
351K 13.9K 57
"So what now?" "I don't know, Em." ***** CLOSER TO YOU TRILOGY ***** After the second chance of a lifetime, Emma Carter and Beau Lewis decide to call...
1.2M 33.7K 49
Book #1 of "His & Hers" book trilogy Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #6 in Mafia 2022 #1 in Italianamerican 2022 #4 in Slowburn 2022 #1 in Hook-ups 20...
6.4K 191 10
Madison My best friend and neighbor, Piper, is trying to arrange a blind date for me. I agree because she doesn't take no as an answer. But why won't...