The Billionaire's Offer

By CelesteABrook

[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] After seeing the women's shelter she worked hard to build burn down to the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44

Chapter 14

1.8K 133 15
By CelesteABrook

Emma

Monday morning arrives quickly, announcing the start of another week. I'm still processing the fact Asher and I slept together, but I must confess, it was mind-blowing. We couldn't keep our hands from each other and I've never felt so cherished.

My heart is brimming with joy, and a constant smile graces my lips, refusing to let go. I have no idea what we're doing or how we're doing it. I just know we're getting married, and we spent a perfect night together.

As I get ready for work, I can't help but glance at my phone, a silly grin dancing on my face when I see a text from Asher.

ASHER: I'm booking a weekend getaway for us as soon as these meetings are over.

ME: For us, huh?

ASHER: Are you really turning down a weekend in Vegas?

ME: Vegas? Aren't you trying to upgrade your image?

ASHER: What's wrong with having some fun with your fiancé?

ME: Right! But for now, we have to be responsible adults and get to work.

ASHER: You're no fun, Em.

ME: I remember you having lots of fun with me last Friday.

ASHER: Touché! Let's have a repeat later today. I want to show you something.

ME: Does that line ever work for you?

ASHER: Ouch! I'll pick you up after work. Does 6 pm work for you?

ME: Yeah, text me when you arrive.

ASHER: See you later, gorgeous. Have a great day!

ME: You too! Good luck with your meeting.

Later today, the board will decide whether to grant Asher a trial period. He spent the weekend locked in meetings, preparing himself, although our frequent texting suggests his focus might have wavered.

Deep down, I know it was his way of showing he'd rather be with me than be working, and it filled my heart with a calm, warm feeling.

However, thoughts of my father approaching me at the gala last Friday still linger in the back of my mind. It's been a long time since we've actually talked, and something tells me he may try to exploit my marriage with Asher to his advantage. A part of me wants to muster the courage to confront him directly, but the frightened little girl within me still holds me back paralyzed in fear.

As I pull up to the rented office that Max arranged for us while our shelter is being rebuilt, I take a deep breath and push aside these concerns. I have a long day ahead, and it begins with announcing my engagement to everyone.

I'm wearing Asher's ring to work for the first time, apart from the gala, and it feels like a ton of bricks on my finger. His team dropped an official press release last Friday, announcing our upcoming wedding in a month. And what did I do? I went straight home and ignored the string of messages on my phone.

But now I'll have to face a gathering of nearly twenty people, all eager to hear about the latest developments in my life.

Melisa Pearson, our case manager and my closest friend, intercepts me before I can reach the office.

"Are you kidding me?" She holds my hand, her eyes widening when she spots my ring.

"I know." I close my eyes, cheeks flushing. "I promise I'll explain everything over lunch."

"Oh, you'd better." Mel raises her eyebrows. "You were fortunate that I spent the weekend at my parents' place, three hours away, or I would've knocked on your door the moment I saw the pictures."

"Pictures?"

She frowns. "You haven't seen them?"

"Uh... no?"

"Well..." She gets her phone from her pocket and hands it to me.

I gasp.

A series of pictures of me and Asher arriving at the gala, along with us dancing and smiling at each other, floods her phone. I don't even have time to process how smitten I look when I start reading the headlines.

Billionaire Bachelor Set to Take CEO Reins in Family Empire.

From Playboy to Powerhouse: Asher Sullivan's Path to Corporate Leadership.

A Power Couple in the Making.

Father's Approval or Disapproval? Emma Sullivan's Billionaire Fiancé Makes a Bold Move.

Okay, I've definitely seen enough.

Clearing my throat, I hand the phone back to her. "I guess everyone has already seen it?"

"Girl, please." She rolls her eyes, linking her arm with mine. "Let's get inside and get this over with."

The open office concept seemed like a great idea when Max first showed me this place, but now that everyone turns to me as Mel and we arrive, my heartbeat increases.

"I suppose congratulations are in order," Tina, one of our social workers, says, her bright smile easing some of my tension.

"Well," I clear my throat, aware that everyone has stopped working to focus on me. "I guess you guys have seen the news."

"We did, honey." Tina chuckles.

Smiling, I look around at the group, and my gaze connects with Frank's. He's standing at the far end of the office, his piercing green eyes fixed on me. I quickly look away.

Not knowing what to say, I decide to share the truth, or at least part of it. "So, I know it might be surprising to some of you, but Asher and I have known each other for a long time. We dated a while back and recently reconnected. Now, we've decided to get married."

"Aw, that's so sweet," Stella, our on-call nurse, sighs. "It gives hope to the rest of us."

"I'm happy for you, Emma," George, another social worker, stands up to hug me.

"Thank you," I say, relieved to have shared it with them. These people are like family. They deserved an explanation.

As people congratulate me and ask to see the ring, my thoughts drift to Asher. Hopefully, things will work out with the board. It would be pretty awkward to explain to people that there won't be a wedding after all. The idea also fills me with a sense of unease, but I push it away.

After what feels like an eternity, José redirects everyone back to work, and I finally sit at my desk. At lunchtime, I'm surprised to find a text from Frank on my phone.

FRANK: Tacos at La Fiesta?

Looking up from my phone, I find him watching me from across the room.

ME: Sure, just give me 5 minutes.

A moment later, Mel stops by my desk. Before she can speak, I show her my phone with Frank's text.

"Oh!" She frowns. "I told you he still had feelings for you."

"I don't know about that." I stand up, slinging my bag over my shoulder. "But he deserves an explanation."

"Dinner at my place?" she says.

"Asher is picking me up for dinner today." I give her an apologetic smile. "Rain check?"

"When did your love life get so exciting?" She chuckles.

"Tell me about it." I plant a kiss on her cheek, and she pulls me into a hug.

"Good luck with Frank," she says as we part. "He's heading our way with a dejected look on his face."

Before I can respond, he appears by my side. "Ready?"

"Yeah." I clear my throat, noticing several people looking our way as we leave the building together. Despite our efforts to keep our relationship discreet, it was obvious to everyone that we were a couple at some point.

"Thanks," I murmur as he holds the building's door open for me. "How's the project with the kids coming along?"

"Me too." Frank clears his throat. "The kids are really excited about going on a small road trip together. We'll see how it goes."

"Yeah..." I glance at him as we start walking. "They loved the fair José put together. I can imagine how excited they'll be about traveling. Most of them have never left the city."

We engage in small talk, and soon we're at the restaurant, ordering our food. Frank secures a table for two in the corner, and we sit across from each other.

"So, you're really getting married?" he says, cutting straight to the point.

"I'm sorry, Frank." I look down, searching for the right words to avoid hurting his feelings. The "it's not you, it's me" talk seems too cliché, even though it holds a lot of truth. Frank is a great guy, and if things were less complicated for me, I would've moved in with him when he asked instead of breaking up with him.

"I know you don't owe me an explanation or anything, but..." He rests his elbows on the table, and I squeeze his hand.

"Well, I'd appreciate one if I were in your shoes." I hold his gaze and he shakes his head.

"I'm just surprised, I guess."

"I know things moved really fast between Asher and me, but we've known each other since we were kids."

He gives me a small smile. "You look happy."

"I do?"

"Yeah..." He tilts his head, studying me. "There's something different about you. You look... peaceful, I think."

"Wow..." I chuckle softly, my cheeks warming. "I don't know what to say."

"I just wanted to clear the air, you know? I don't want things to be weird between us." He swallows. "I love the volunteer work I do at the shelter."

"And we really appreciate everything you've done, especially during the fire." I hold his gaze, hoping to convey my gratitude. He worked tirelessly that night, only stopping when we had moved and accommodated every resident.

"Your fiancé seemed a little uncomfortable with me last Friday."

"Yeah..." I feel my cheeks flush. "But we talked, and he's okay now."

"So, I can still stick around the shelter?" he asks, and my heart warms.

I raise my glass to him. "For as long as you want. I mean it when I say I really appreciate you."

"Right back at you, Em." He smiles, and we begin eating our food.

Once we're finished, Frank and I walk back to the office, but just before entering, he holds my hand, stopping me.

I frown. "You're not coming in?"

"I'm actually done for the day." He rocks on his feet. "Thanks for lunch. Like I said, I know you didn't owe me an explanation, but I'm glad we talked."

"I'm glad we talked too." I smile. "The last thing I wanted was for things to be weird between us."

"Yeah..." He smiles, squeezing my shoulder. "Take care, Em."

"You too," I murmur, and he nods before walking away.

Sighing, I return to my desk and delve into the pile of paperwork that has accumulated since the fire. Around three o'clock, I receive a text from Asher with a link for me to follow.

I cringe when I see it's one of the most prominent gossip sites in America, spreading picture after picture of me and Frank from earlier today.

But what really makes me nervous is how they've portrayed us. Like we were having more than a friendly lunch.

Scanning the pictures, my heart sinks when I read one of the headlines.

Asher Sullivan's fiancée Emma Cavendish was caught having an intimate lunch with her ex-boyfriend on the same day Asher is set to take the reins of one of the most remarkable legacies in the consumer goods and lifestyle industry of the globe.

I stop reading after that and quickly send him a text.

ME: It's not what it seems.

ASHER: The board meeting will start in 2 minutes. TTYL

"Shit!" I mutter, knowing this is the last thing he needs to worry about right now.

ME: I'm so sorry about the pictures. I promise to explain it later. Good luck with your meeting.

He doesn't reply. 

_____

A/N: Uh-Oh! 

Hope you are enjoying Asher and Emma's journey! Please don't forget to vote! <3

XOXO

Celeste

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2M 163K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...
10.9K 444 36
*FEATURED on Wattpad's official MUSIC profile, in the "Exquisite Cellos (Romance)" reading list!* Emmaline scores the hottest tickets in NYC: a VIP b...
12.3M 395K 57
"Why did u punch him?" I asked in shock. "Why did you kiss him?" He asked me angrily. "What? I... but..he... " "Is he your boyfriend? Or Did he pa...
252K 9.3K 54
Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #1 in Chauffeur 2023 #12 in Slowburn 2023 #3 in Arguing 2023 #8 in Sexualtension 2023 #15 in Sexual 2023 #1 in Spanish...