Downton Abbey - The Story of...

By Lelemaa

March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paterni... More

Prologue
Part ONE
Fair (May 1913)
Flower Show (August 1913)
Rights, Soap & Soup (Summer 1914)
Farewell (August 1914)
Part TWO
War (March 1917)
See You Again (April 1917)
Lt. Edward Courtney (April 1917)
Game of War (May 1917)
Convalescent Home (Summer 1917)
Just A Normal Day (Summer 1917)
The Barrow Family (November 1917)
Emma's Phase of Defiance (February 1918)
Emmas Phase of Defiance II (February 1918)
Playdate with Dad (June 1918)
William (July 1918)
A Father's Love (July 1918)
It's School Time (September 1918)
Peace (October - December 1918)
Black Market & Emmas Birthday (Feb-March 1919)
Secrets & Eavesdropping (April 1919)
Run Away Kid & The Flu (April 1919)
Merry Christmas (December 1919)
A New Year (January 1920)
Part THREE
Giant, Lilliputian & Dwarf (Spring 1920)
Bedtime Stories (Spring 1920)
Missing Shirts & another Wedding (May 1920)
Sisters in our Hearts (May 1920)
O'Brien's Trap (May 1920)
Barrow's Plan (May 1920)
Eventful Days (May 1920)
Lady Sybil's Baby (June 1920)
Lady Sybil (June 1920)
Bates Return & A Kiss (June/July 1920)
The Kiss (July 1920)
The Consequences (July 1920)
Emma's Idea (July 1920)
Cricket Match (August 1920)
Curfew (May 1921)
Emma's Fall (May 1921)
Emma Grace (May 1921)
Rest & Cake (May/June 1921)
Dresses, Tea & Cinema (September 1921)
Talk, Thirsk & A Box (September 1921)
Fair & Another Baby (September 1921)
Mister Matthew (September 1921)
Grief & Guilt (September 1921)
Moving Forward (Sept - Oct 1921)
The New Daily Life (November 1921)
Lady Rose (29 November 1921)
Tea Time, Nanny West & O'Brien (Jan/Feb 1922)
Part FOUR
The longing for a mother (February 1922)
You Must Fight Back (February 1922)
Valentine's Letter (14th February 1922)
Stand up for yourself (February 1922)
Emma's Own Room (March 1922)
Full House (May 1922)

Wedding Time (Spring 1920)

194 11 6
By Lelemaa

The staff sat together once again for supper.

"I thought they were quite rude," Alfred remarked.

"That's because they have no clue," retorted Thomas. Emma rolled her eyes. As much as her Dad was kind to her, he couldn't stand Alfred from the very beginning. Admittedly, her first encounter with Alfred wasn't exactly positive. Nevertheless, she was trying to give the footman a second chance, and Alfred could be nice when his aunt wasn't around.

"Wasn't he rather rude too? Insulting our country and our King," Mister Carson said, "I thought it was a miracle that his Lordship kept his composure."

"But it must also be quite difficult, Mister Carson, suddenly sitting there with people whose chauffeur he used to be," Mrs. Hughes considered.

"It is difficult, Mrs. Hughes."

Suddenly, Carson cleared his throat and stood up. This, once again, meant that they all had to stand up, with her Dad taking his sweet time, unlike Emma. She eagerly jumped up from her chair. "Tom!" she exclaimed with excitement and greeted him with an enthusiastic hug. She hadn't had the chance to meet him since his arrival at Downton.

"Is there anything we can do for you, Sir?" Carson asked condescendingly.

"I just wanted to come down and greet you. I don't want you to think I've become megalomaniacal."

"That's kind of you," Mrs. Hughes said.

"I hope you and Lady Sybil are well," Anna smiled.

"Yes, quite well. Thank you. We've been following the story with Mister Bates. Mary keeps us updated all the time... well, I won't keep you from your supper."

"Thank you for coming down," Mrs. Hughes expressed her gratitude.

"Have you seen any le-pre-chauns?" Emma asked curiously, thus detaining Tom from leaving.

"Sybil and I can tell you magical leprechaun stories," Tom smiled. "Would you like to come upstairs with us?"

Emma grinned enthusiastically and quickly turned to her father, who, like the rest of the staff, was still standing.

"Dad, can I? Please!" she pleaded with large, irresistible puppy eyes.

"I'll bring Emma back in half an hour, I promise."

"Fine by me," Thomas nodded in agreement.

Lady Sybil, Tom, and Emma lingered in Lady Sybil's bedroom. Emma was excited to finally spend time with Lady Sybil and Tom. She loved listening to their stories, especially when it was about Ireland and the magical leprechauns.

"Ireland is so beautiful," Lady Sybil enthused. "And those mischievous little leprechauns live in the woods. It's said they can turn invisible and hide in the shadows."

Emma listened attentively. "Have you ever seen a le-pre-chaun?"

Tom smiled and nodded. "Once, when we were out for a walk. We suddenly heard a faint laughter and saw the grass moving, even though there was no wind."

"Tom told me they were leprechauns just playing with each other," Lady Sybil chuckled.

"I really wish I could have come to visit you," Emma sighed, "but Mr. Carson wasn't too thrilled with my idea."

"One day, Emma. There's plenty of time for you to come visit us in Ireland," she smiled.

On the day of Lady Mary and Matthew's wedding, Emma felt like a true princess. Mrs. Hughes helped her get dressed in a beautiful cream-colored ensemble that perfectly matched the bridal couple. Emma couldn't wait to walk down the aisle and scatter flower petals. She sat nervously in her chair, fidgeting with her hands as Mrs. Hughes used a curling iron to create gentle waves in her hair. She was so happy to be part of this special celebration and couldn't wait to see Lady Mary in her stunning wedding gown.

Just as Mrs. Hughes was putting the finishing touches on Emma's hair, Mr. Carson entered the room. His face revealed a surprising, joyful smile. "Are the flower girls ready to depart?" he asked.

Mrs. Hughes nodded. "All four girls are ready now."

Emma jumped up from her chair and twirled around. "How do I look, Mr. Carson?"

Mr. Carson regarded Emma with a warm smile. "You look absolutely beautiful, Miss Emma Grace." Emma beamed with joy at his praise. She couldn't wait to contribute to the bride and groom's wedding. With one last look in the mirror and a final adjustment of her dress to make sure everything was perfect, she was ready.

Together with her three fellow flower girls – Ruby Harris, Daphne Atkins, and Victoria Sinclair – Emma sat in the car, feeling the excitement in the air.

Ruby giggled, "I still can't believe we get to be part of this wedding! It's going to be so exciting!"

"Have you seen the flowers in the church? Absolutely breathtaking!" Daphne asked, but the three girls shook their heads.

"I managed to catch a quick glimpse of Lady Mary," Victoria excitedly shared. This made Mrs. O'Brien, who was in the car with them, turn around with an angry look. However, the four flower girls paid her no attention. Victoria continued, "The wedding dress is stunning! Incredibly beautiful. I wish I could get married today too."

The girls chatted merrily about the wedding as the car finally stopped in front of Downton's church, and Thomas opened the door. "Myladies," he winked and extended a hand to help each flower girl out of the car.

"Don't I look beautiful, Mr. Barrow?" Ruby smiled as she was next in line, holding Thomas's hand to exit the car.

"Absolutely enchanting, Miss Ruby," Thomas grinned and winked, "The dress suits you perfectly."

Emma couldn't help but giggle and shot her father a mischievous glance. "And what about me, Mr. Barrow?" she asked as it was finally her turn to exit. She let her Dad help her out of the car and stood before him.

Thomas, enjoying the playful banter with the two girls, put on a serious expression and carefully examined Emma. "Well, Miss Emma," he began theatrically, "You are, of course, the most beautiful of them all. But you already know that." He then smiled and winked at her.

Emma rolled her eyes, but her eyes also sparkled with joy. "You're always so silly, Dad, when you're in servant mode."

Thomas feigned a dramatic gasp and placed a hand over his heart. "Miss Emma, I was merely paying you a friendly compliment. It's not every day I see such a charming young lady," he winked. "But let it be known that the art of valeting is a refined skill passed down through generations."

Emma grinned mischievously. "And you've passed it down to me quite effectively, haven't you? Now I find myself constantly straightening picture frames and arranging tea cups with utmost precision."

Thomas chuckled, a genuine warmth in his eyes. "Ah, my darling those are valuable skills to possess. You never know when the need for a perfectly aligned teacup might arise." He pulled his child into a sideways hug. "Are you nervous?" he whispered, meant for her ears alone. After all, the role of a flower girl was a significant and honorable one.

Emma nodded lightly.

"You'll make a wonderful flower girl," he whispered. "My little dwarf-princess."

"Dad!" Emma exclaimed, seeing her father beaming with pride.

"Do you need an extra invitation now?" O'Brien yelled. She had the task of escorting the flower girls into the church and preparing them for the wedding.

As they prepared for their roles as flower girls and filled their baskets with flower petals, the church began to fill up. Mr. Matthew and Tom waited at the altar. Lady Grantham sat with her daughters in the front row. Mr. Carson, Mrs. Hughes, and some of the staff sat in the back rows.

Lady Mary and Mr. Matthew's wedding was a grand event, and Emma felt honored to be part of it. She carried out her duties as a flower girl with great grace. The subsequent wedding reception took place at the Abbey. Mr. Carson, Mrs. Hughes, Alfred, Daisy, and Mrs. Patmore had their hands full serving the guests. Even her Dad had to pitch in as a servant, tending to the guests' drinks. However, Emma had Ruby by her side. The flower girls were allowed to attend the celebration and even posed for one of Lady Mary and Mr. Matthew's many wedding photos.

"Do you have a moment?" Thomas asked curiously. Emma nodded silently and followed her Dad as he led her outside, where Lady Mary's photographer stood.

"Lord Grantham has allowed every staff member to have one photo for free," Thomas explained. "So, what do you say? Would you like a picture with your Dad?"

Emma nodded, grinning. The last family photo she had with her Dad was when she was just 2 years old. She was looking forward to a new family picture.

AN: You know what will happen in Season Three... so I'd like to know from you what you think Emma's reaction will be if she finds out that Thomas is ‚different'? What are your thoughts on this? Will Emma be shocked and disgusted? Do you think Emma already has a clue? Please write your thoughts in the comments. I'd like to incorporate your idea of her reaction later.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.3K 144 13
A young unlikable footman is working at downton when a new maid comes to work there. Will he finally be able to let his guard down and care for someo...
60.3K 1.8K 20
𝙗𝙀𝙀𝙠 𝙩𝙬𝙀 𝙀𝙛 π™π˜Όπ™‡π™‡π™€π™‰ π˜Όπ™‰π™‚π™€π™‡ π™¨π™šπ™§π™žπ™šπ™¨.... 𝙇𝙄𝙇𝙄𝙏𝙃 π™‰π™„π™‚π™ƒπ™π˜Όπ™‰π™‚π™€π™‡. 𝘼 π™£π™–π™’π™š π™¬π™π™žπ™¨π™₯π™šπ™§π™šπ™™ π™žπ™£ π™˜π™šπ™‘π™šπ™¨π™©π™žπ™–...
17.8K 758 159
The continuation of The Family that Chooses You. Chapters will explore moments others wanted to see as well as additional ideas that I might have, wi...
777 25 6
Season 5 Downton Abbey Emma (3rd daughter of Robert and Cora Crawley) returns back to Downton after hiding in New York, following a scandal that coul...