This Means War

By CynthiaRayneOfficial

Previously titled Checkmate on Wattpad... #1.5 in 'Playing for Keeps series' Love is a strange thing, even th... More

1| Pack Your Shit Italy Awaits
2| Like Some Geltao With That Leather Jacket
3| The Italian God
Nathaniel & Nancy | Bitter Sweet Loneliness
Nathaniel & Nancy | Godzilla The Feminist And A Misogynist
Nathaniel & Nancy | Wild Animal In 602
Nathaniel & Nancy | Spaghetti Con La Bottarga
Nathaniel & Nancy | The Black Out
Nathaniel & Nancy | Amateur Mike Tyson And LaChapelle's exhibition
Nathaniel & Nancy | Wrap It Up Tom And Jerry
Nathaniel & Nancy | A Hidden Past
Nathaniel & Nancy | The Ugly Truth
Nathaniel & Nancy | Hotel From Hell
Nathaniel & Nancy | The Final Dance

4 | Paybacks A Bitch

28.1K 1.1K 99
By CynthiaRayneOfficial

"Stai bene? Are you alright?" I could have listened to him speak all day, Adonis himself had nothing on this man. I'd never been rendered speechless before. Yet, here I was demonstrating the perfect example of a teen fangirl. I responded with a nod; opening and closing my mouth but no words escaped.

When I finally spoke I wished I had kept silent. "Wow..." following the single syllable was yet another humiliating display of my rapidly diminishing intellect. I'd fallen into the arms of possibly the most divine specimen to walk the earth and the best I could do was, wow- bloody useless.

The impatient sound of Nathan clearing his throat jolted us apart. Enquire straightened me, casting another charming smile in my dumbfounded direction. My cheeks flamed as I failed to regather any foundation of speech whatsoever- forcing Nathaniel to take over. "Mr Amorosi, Nathaniel Hughes." He introduced himself, offering him what appeared to be a professional handshake. Enrique accepted his outstretched offering and suddenly the atmosphere dropped. Nathaniel tightened his grip and broadened his shoulders. Enrique didn't so much as flinch, however, his features displayed intrigue.

"And I'm-" I began.

Interrupting me, Enrique returned to his charming self. "Signora Nancy Williams." He finished, winking at me. If I hadn't all but lost my dignity with my clumsiness, I just may have jumped the walking European wet dream.

Snorting out a laugh, I proved yet again that the intelligent woman I'd previously thought myself to be was nothing more then a horny teenager. "Th...that's me- uh my name, yes." I mumbled awkwardly, mentally pleading with myself to return to silence.

Taking pity the man elaborated. "Charlie sent me your files." Because this is a work engagement, Nancy- get it together! "I may have also googled you." Lightening the mood, his confession had me biting back a smile. The man had a killer combination of everything; looks, brawn, dominance, intellect, humour... the list went on. My mind stalled as I stood before the perfect bachelor and still craved the brooding man who stood adjacent to me.

Whipping his head in my direction, Nathaniel took the floor. "Nancy, would you mind showing our client, Mr Amorosi the blue-"

"Please, Enrique is fine." Like the perfect gentleman, Enrique insisted.

Scoffing, Nathanial redirected his attention to the charming politician before him. "Mr Amorosi is also fine." Scowling at Nathaniel, I tensed– subtlety had left the building, he was now being an asshole openly.

He narrowed his eyes at me in response, forcing me to clench my jaw. I'd become all but numb to Nathaniel's hatred and to an extent I believed that I deserved it. Life was punishment enough, having been forced to watch the love of my life with another woman, let alone having played the single most vital role in bringing them together.

I blamed myself for Amelia everyday, even more so I blamed myself for sacrificing my love in order to give Amelia hers. How could I have foreseen the tragedies that would follow? I needed him, after the accident and since– instead he made it his life's mission to remind me that I was the source of all his pain every single day. I destroyed three lives and I would endure his hatred for as long as his pain lasted, but I drew the line at him taking his misery out on the whole world.

There was a time I would have said Nathaniel lived and breathed for me, but now it all just seemed like a cosmic joke. The universe had brought us together only to rip us apart.

Stepping between the two, I walked deeper into the building. "It's...beautiful." I looked on in awe of the high raised, dome ceiling. I felt like I was standing in the ball room of a Disney palace. "I could stand here and admire every stone and pillar for hours...days." I breathed, momentary dismissing the men behind me.

Sweeping a hand towards the empty museum Enrique gestured for us to follow him. Swallowing hard as my eyes shot between his perfectly defined dimple and the fabric of his tailored suit –straining against his sculpted arms. I followed behind, my heels clocking against the marble floors –emphasising the struggle of my short legs attempting to match his elegant strides.

Smiling to myself I considered a momentary fling with the Italian God, knowing the fantasy could never love up to what I desired most. "Jesus Christ...keep it in your pants." Nathaniel growled shoving past me. My cheeks flushed with embarrassment, was I really that transparent? Surely ones arousal couldn't be determined by just anyone! But then again it had been a while- years in fact.

"I...I wasn't-" mortified, I didn't know how to respond. Should I object first, defend myself, scold him?!

"Don't bother." He snapped. "You're going to get us sued for sexual harassment, just try to act a little professional." He growled, sounding as though he were getting angrier by the minute. Running his fingers through his hair, he caught up to our impressive client  with ease. Get it together Nancy...be professional. Giving myself a mental pep-talk I focused on the conversation Nathaniel had started with Enrique about the proposed design.

So far it was only a work up done by Quinn Industries, we still needed Enrique's approval and changes. Charlie had gotten his attention and it was now our job to live up to his every expectation of the company's expertise.

From what Charlie and I had sourced in the short opportunity we had to research Enrique, he was a mystery. To build this project to the best of my abilities I needed to find out who he was– behind the politician, behind the charming entrepreneur, behind the power and domineering exterior.  "...the work up from our tech team-Nancy!" Nathaniel's gruff voice snapped me out of my deep thoughts, looking towards him with a shocked expression I debated if I should guess what he had asked. I had not listened to a word and he knew it. Clenching his jaw, he closed his eyes in frustration.

Enrique unknowingly came to my rescue once more. "Do you have the designs bella?" Nodding quickly, I dug through my bag for my laptop. Smiling kindly he extended a hand for the device.

"Sorry..." I mumbled chastising myself for not being more prepared. Handing him the laptop, I quickly pulled out an A2 copy of the blueprints. Nathaniel furrowed his brows. "These are the blueprints, I just thought it might be nice to see them on paper- although our tech team did an amazing job of a virtual work up- " I added quickly "-nothing is final yet, I mean feel free to tell me if you hate them." Chuckling nervously, I allowed the man a moment to absorb the proposal.

With a curve of his lip, he moved towards a collapsible table at the end of the museum. "I'm sure they will be wonderful, it is Quinn Industries after all ." His deep voice could throw a person at first but the man's manner was gentle, disciplined. From the corner of my eye I saw Nathaniel roll his eyes. The small woman in my head  glared at him with malice. "You don't mind if I keep these for a while?" Enrique asked, rolling up the hard-copy.

"Please, they're yours." I offered. Smiling he continued towards the two large mahogany doors that lead out to the courtyard. I saw them being replaced by frameless, glass sliding doors.  As we stepped out into the beautiful space, I instantly fell in love with the stunning vines crawling up the thin frames of the black gating. Gorgeous violet flowers had sprouted along them creating the perfect backdrop to what could be a romantic, starlit dinning experience. "Wow..." I breathed.

A strong masculine chuckle, rippled over my skin. "You like that word no?" I shivered at Enrique's proximity. My eyes widened as I realised that thirty years of developing a vocabulary  had been a complete waste of time when in the presence of sexy men. I opened and closed my mouth uncomfortably, only adding to my embarrassing first impression. "It was not my intention to make you nervous, I find you, Accattivante...captivating, bella." He admitted, warming me in places I'd forgotten exited.

It has been a bloody long time old girl... my subconscious reminded me of my depressingly non-existent sex life. Truthfully, I wasn't even certain I remembered how to do it correctly anymore. Stiffening I reminded myself he was a client and my sexual exploits could take a backseat for a few more months. Nathaniel interrupted and it was almost welcomed...almost. "We're thinking of opening this up too. I suggest we remove the gating and replace it with stone walls-"

"No." I objected abruptly, shocking Enrique and pissing Nathaniel off simultaneously. "I mean...the gating, the vines...the flowers all have a unique charm to it. It's a part of the history, I think it would offset the idea behind the grilling stations. They'll be stone, open flamed. I think the gates and vines give the space a softness."

Enrique looked on, imagining the space. "I agree, bella." Nathaniel's jaw clicked as his form stiffened. I feared the aftermath of dismissing his idea and prayed it would unleash after Mr Amorosi's exit.

"Anyway, we can discuss that at a later date. I'm thinking we start construction within the next two weeks. That should be a sufficient amount of time to finalise the designs." Nathaniel stated firmly but surprisingly professionally. I remained quiet as Enrique thought over this request, nodding he pulled his phone from his pocket and typed something into it.

"Join me for lunch tomorrow. That will give me some time to look over these." He held the files up and both Nathaniel and I nodded in agreement. "I'll send a car to collect you. Ciao, bella." He turned and strolled back into the museum with powerful grace.

"Yeah, ciao to you to. " Nathaniel scoffed.

"What the hell is your problem?" I snapped, folding my arms over my chest and glaring at him.

"Damn, just jump the guy's bones already why don't you- In fact why not go tackle him to the sidewalk now!" He barked before storming back inside, my jaw dropped and I flushed with embarrassment. 

"I was not thinking about him in that way-"

"Bullshit!" He spat shoving a hand through his hair.

"You know what...fuck you, if I want to as you so elegantly put it, "jump his bones" then I damn well will and I'll fucking enjoy it!" I screamed. My voice echoed off the marble pillars; I had to admit the acoustics were brilliant in this place. "Bloody bastard..." I muttered stalking towards the town car.

"I heard that!" He shouted back childishly. Ignoring him I got into the passenger seat and slammed the door. It was time to teach the mother of all grouches a lesson, I still had a score to settle with him and I knew just how to do it.

***
Working together had been a shit show from the absolute beginning but Nathaniel was so frustratingly intent on making it unbearable. We had now been cooped together in this room for hours and I was so ready to give him a gentle push off the cute little balcony. "What do you think you're doing?!" He snapped. I shrugged taking another step towards the bed. "I don't think so. You stay over there. On that side of the room, I refuse to let you contaminate anymore of my hard work."

"Real mature." I muttered, rolling my eyes.

"Back up or get out." He snapped. Sighing I returned to the extremely uncomfortable arm chair in the corner of the room. In order to execute my plan to humble Nathaniel, I needed to be close to him. Shifting his mobile phone –which I'd strategically swiped earlier–in my back pocket, I silently prayed that nobody had the urge to call him anytime soon. "I don't hear typing." He mocked, forcing me to grind my teeth. Slamming my laptop shut, I stormed towards him and stood directly in front of him. He stood up intimidatingly and I had to lean back slightly so that I could make eye contact...stupid six foot jerk!

"I've just about had it with your shit! You're rude, you're angry, you're irritating and you're beginning to get on my last fucking nerve!"

"Good." He smirked, narrowing my eyes I clenched my jaw. "What are you going to do? Glare me to death!" He scoffed folding his arms over his chest.

"I'm going to make you apologise!" His eyes widened with amusement, then he laughed condescendingly. Reaching to my back pocket I held my finger over the record button on his mobile. "In fact you're going to say I'm sorry Nancy, over and over again."

"You're deluded!" He laughed louder, "I'm sorry Nancy?! Not a chance-not going to  happen. Now make yourself useful and get back to work." He laughed smugly, falling back into the bed. Flipping, I rushed into the bathroom before slamming the door behind me; smirking as I pulled his mobile from my pocket. Turning down the volume I replayed the short recording. I internally laughed while the snarky woman in my head threw a full blown party. 'I'm sorry Nancy' being said in Nathaniel's arrogant voice, played on repeat as I sat and admired my handy work for a moment.

The awesome thing about college was you got to meet some of the most interesting people. Guys and girls from all walks of life, studying a variety of things. You can learn so much... some pretty neat tech tricks too. Nate and I had met a particularly interesting guy back in our college days, who happened to be a tech whiz. To be honest I couldn't understand why the guy didn't go to MIT or something, he was that brilliant. He told us many stories and we learnt the true power of technology, if the world ever wronged that guy it's safe to say he would end it. He was a genius and he had taught me a few handy things.

Setting the recording as his new password I locked it with a recording of my own. "Now...you get to apologise to me over and over again, Nathaniel Hughes...prepare to grovel because I'll accept nothing less in return for releasing you from making a fool of yourself on a daily basis." I whispered triumphantly.

Internally jumping up and down with joy, I returned to the room, keeping his phone pressed to my side. Lifting gif head, he continued to smirk, asshole. "Catch!" I called, tossing the device into the air and watching him lunge for it.

"What the fuck? Stealing now are we." He growled. "Or were you snooping?" He accused. Before he could check, I retrieved my phone from across the room. Scrolling through my list I clicked on the contact that read 'asshole' and called him. His phone vibrated and he eyed me with irritation. Unamused he declined the call. I redialled and he declined once more. Sighing, I fell into the armchair and redialled his number. Like before he declined it instantaneously. This continued for the next two minutes. "Cut it out damn it!" I sighed more dramatically and redialled, he groaned loudly and I knew he was giving in. Placing my phone on the small coffee table in front of me I dialled once more, the second he tried to answer the phone beeped. I was sure the screen flashed with a request for a password. "What the-"

It beeped louder signalling that those words weren't the password. I called again and he tried once more. "What the fuck did you do?" His voice held a dangerous rage. I narrowed my eyes before smirking openly.

"Do you remember a little genius named Ronald Coy? Ah...old Ronny. He really was brilliant wasn't he?" I chuckled, oh so pleased.

"Fucking shut up with your trip down memory lane! What did you do to my phone?" He closed the distance between us and gripped my arms above the elbows, simultaneously pulling me to my feet. Rolling my bottom lip between my teeth I smiled innocently. He clenched his jaw and lowered his head to glare at me more closely. I was sure I'd be intimidated if I wasn't so unbelievably turned on right now. I loved getting one over on him and the closeness of our faces had my heart racing...something the organ only ever did for him.

"Old Ronny taught me a few tricks to his trade...your phone is completely fine, I simply made it safer for you to keep your personal items away from prying eyes." He gritted his teeth and I bit back a laugh. "Relax Nate I just put a voice recognition password on it." He released me with a jolt before transferring the glare he'd fixed on me to the small device in his hand.

"You what?" He whispered, folding my arms over my chest I moved around him to take a seat on the bed.

"Would you like me to break it down for you?" He snapped his head up to stare dangerously at me. I put my hands up defensively and my body shook with suppressed laughter.

"What. Is. The password?" He bit out around a firmly clenched jaw. Crossing my legs,  I placed my hands on my knee.

"Oh it's very simple. I'm sorry Nancy..." I sang the words out with a smirk of my own. Clenching his hands around the phone, he fumed–his chest rising and falling furiously. Containing that much rage could not have been healthy. He took a step forward and I jumped up onto the bed, holding my index finger up I wiggled it side to side in warning. "If you kill me, you'll be apologising to me for the rest of your life, unless you get a new phone but then you'll never be able to access all those photos and messages you have stored on there."

"I'll take my chances." He grated out the words and I shuffled back.

"Nate, the only way you can remove that password is if I say two little words." I held up two fingers, "dead or alive, that's just not happening...until you've apologised enough times for me to actually start believing it." He lunged for me. Just as he crashed into the mattress I sprang off it and bolted for the door swiping my bag along the way. I heard him groan just as I made it to my door across the hall. Scrambling through my bag of crap, I searched for my key card.

"You!" Nathaniel snapped. I dropped my bag and flipped to face him. I gasped shooting nervous glances down the hall. I pushed up against the door hoping it would swing open. He surged forward and I let out a yelp, taking off towards the lift at full speed. Skidding to a stop I attacked the button.

"Please! Please! Please! Please! Please...." I pleaded with the contraption to kindly hurry the fuck up. My eyes lit up at the familiar sound of the bell that signalled the lifts arrival. I flew into the cart and pressed every button I could, Nate came hurdling through the doors seconds before it closed. Gulping I retreated cautiously into the furthest corner from him. Lifting his finger to the panel of buttons he pressed the bright red one. I bit back a whimper when the lift jerked to a sudden halt.

Stammering nervously, I tried to reason. "Hey now...I mean if you apologise willingly I'll gladly remove the password-" slamming his palms against the smooth metal of the lift walls– on either side of my head– he lowered to my height. Alright...now I'm intimidated...really, really fucking intimidated! One of his hands slipped down the wall and he clasped my hip, my breath hitched when our bodies pressed together.

"Change your mind Nancy." He meant to sound threatening, I knew that, but there was something else...an erotic undertone. I hesitantly shook my head.

"A...apologise an...and I will." I stammered suddenly incredibly breathless. "Hah-" He dug his fingers into my hip, "what...what are you-hah-" cutting my words short he dipped his head to take my chin in an open mouthed kiss, sucking hard and gently biting as he continued across my jaw and down my throat.

"Change...your mind." His voice was a husky whisper, warm against my skin. My body burnt with desire, forcing all the right places to tingle with need.

"N...no..." Was my final answer. His lips came crashing over mine in a powerful kiss. My lips parted instinctively, the second his tongue slipped into my mouth I moaned. His grip on my hip slipped further south, cupping the back of my thigh. He lifted my leg up to hook around his waist. My heart beat accelerated with excitement. I was fucked, his touch was like an aphrodisiac concocted specifically to drive my body insane.

I felt his thickness jab against my stomach and it forced a string of moans to escape me. My hips bucked in an attempt to feel more of him. His erection ground into me and it was absolute torture. Our mouths connected as though they were made for each other, his taste mixed perfectly with mine. The emotions I spent years trying desperately to suppress came rushing back like a title wade, one I would willingly drown in.

He tightened his grip painfully and I couldn't deny the pleasure it sent through me. Breaking away from my mouth he moved his lips over my jaw, panting I replenished the oxygen I'd lost. My fingers moved to tangle through his messy hair, I let out a half gasp, half moan when he cupped the back of my other thigh with his free hand and hauled me up.

Keeping me pressed to the wall he kissed and sucked across my chest. Pulling him closer I rolled my bottom lip into my mouth, I felt one of his hands slide to my front and my core tightened. He stroked me through my shorts and I knew, beyond doubt, he could feel my arousal seeping through the thin material.

Him touching me this way was unbelievably sexy. He groaned, becoming more rough with his torture. Even over the material he was able to rub the sensitive spot between my folds. My head fell back and my stomach tightened. I fisted his hair and my entire body stiffened with the untameable desire to orgasm.

My panties were soaked, my breasts heavy with arousal...I needed him! The logical side of me wanted to analyse every single detail of what was happening and what might happen but the rest of me was screaming for release, completely willing and completely at his mercy.

__________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 3.5K 48
I finally looked up at him and laughed. As soon as our gazes locked I think I was going melt by the intensity in his eyes. "Just promise one thing, n...
892 205 32
[COMPLETED] -------------------- "Devlin, i am someone's fiancee and soon to be married. I appreciate your feelings, i really do, but i love my man...
15.4K 328 34
"Mine Forever?" "Yours Forever." Story tropes : Strangers to Friends to Loversβ•‘ Forbidden Love β•‘ Love Triangle A Mattheo Riddle Fanfic...πŸ’šπŸ–€πŸ’š This...
207 65 41
This is slowly burning me. Slowly and sweetly devouring me. It was supposed to be a simple innocent friendship. Meet, chat, catch up, laugh, and go b...