HIS CLAIM

By Orphicknight

"You look awfully well for someone who died years ago." [ THIS STORY CONTAIN MATURE CONTENT!!! ] This is dar... More

(Writer's note)
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
Epilogue

61

10.7K 263 34
By Orphicknight

Elsa

I had planned on visiting my father today since everyone had plans today, and Nicholas was in his office, working. I didn’t want to disturb him so I killed time by playing with Kiki  for a long while until I decided it was time to go.

I knocked lightly on his office door in case he was on an important phone call.

“Come in.” I opened the door and poked my head in to see if he was too busy. He hadn’t looked up yet and was still looking at some papers.

“Hi.” His eyes immediately went to mine as soon as he heard my voice.

“You don’t need to knock, you can come in whenever you want.” He had some papers in his hand but put them down, and gestured for me to go over to him.

“I didn’t want to disturb you.” I walked around his desk, and he took a hold of my waist and placed me on his lap.

“You will never be a disturbance to me. Next time, just walk in.”

“I will try to remember that.” I placed a small kiss on his lips, making him smile at my action.

“Doing anything interesting?” I looked at the papers on his desk and once again saw lists of endless numbers.

“No, just paying bills.” He said, and my eyes widened at the numbers.

“How are you not broke?”

“Why would I be broke when I make much more than that? I would be one hell of a lousy Don then.” Nicholas was amused by my reaction when I almost dropped my jaw at his response.

“Damn, maybe I should ask you how rich are you instead.” I chuckled but was truly starstruck. I kind of had an insight into how rich he was when he spent fifty million dollars on me without blinking an eye. But this was taking it to another whole new level of money talk.

“I have enough to take care of you, our children, our grandchildren. Hell, even our great-grandchildren, and still live very comfortably.” Nicholas  explained with pride.

“That’s.. a lot of money.” I gave a nod in, impressed.

“Not too shabby of a career path. I should form my own gang and make a shit ton of money.”

“Really?” His voice let me know he was trying not to laugh at me.

“Yes, I would be really good at it.” I said cockily, holding my head high and he just scoffed.

“You won’t even last ten minutes before getting your ass shot.” He raised a brow at me and I crossed my arms, looking at him  offended.

“I would definitely last longer than ten minutes! I will just rule over a few streets and keep it low-key. Who would shoot me for that?” I questioned.

“Me. And you wouldn’t even see it coming.” He leaned back in his seat and smirked at me. I did a dramatic gasp and put my hand to my chest as I looked at him with an exaggerated shocked face.

“Why would shoot me? I thought we were homies!”

“Don’t take it personally, my love, it’s all business. You would be walking around in my territories, trying to take my money…” He leaned in closer to my face as he spoke in a low voice.

“No one takes what’s mine. You will have to kill me first.”

“Oh, really?” I placed my hands on his chest, giving him an innocent smile. Nicholas  didn’t say anything as he looked deep into my eyes, having my breath quicken a little at the intensity of his  eyes. I bit down on my lip, his eyes immediately going down to look. I took it as my cue and quickly reached down to his waistband where I knew he had his gun.

One moment I was on his lap, and the next he had me bent over on his desk with my arms behind my back. I blinked a few times, trying to understand how in the world he had moved this fast. Then I heard a tsking sound behind me.

“Many have tried to kill me and have failed… What makes you think you would be any different?” Nicholas was pressed up against my back, whispering in my ear. There was something so exhilarating. about this position, which had me grinning.

“Thought I would give it a shot, you know. See if I could take down the big, bad Don Nicholas Donavan.” I tried to wiggle out, but he had me in a pretty strong hold and pressed me down on the desk.

“I have to admire your courage.” He chuckled, feeling his chest. vibrating against my back.

“Under normal circumstances, you would have been shot before you would have time to even blink… However, it would have been a waste since you look quite fuckable right now like this.” I felt his hand going down my spine, having me shiver in response to his touch as it went down, and stopped right between my legs. I let out a breath as he started to rub me outside my jeans, my heart beating faster as a pool of heat went down, and my body tingled the more he touched me.

Then he spanked me. Fucking hard.

I made a sound of surprise, not expecting it.

“If only you hadn’t reached for my gun, I would have. Such a pity.” His voice was taunting as he rubbed me where he spanked me. I could imagine what kind of dark look was on his face right now as he watched me under his mercy.

“You suck.” I huffed out, annoyed.

“No. You suck, I eat.” Nichoals  pulled up my jeans as he let out a laugh. I rolled my eyes as I turned around to face him when he let go, noticing just how the color of his eyes had turned a shade slightly darker.

“And here I thought you would do anything for me.” I gave a slight pout, watching him sit back down in his desk chair.

“I will, but go for my gun and there will be consequences. Don’t try to pull that shit on me again, and there won’t be problems. Understood?” His voice was serious but still had a playful smirk on his lip.

“Yes, Sir!” I straightened up and did a salute, having him shake his head at me in amusement.

“Now that you’re here, I have something for you.” He got up and took my hand in his as he led us across the office. I looked at him confused as to why we were standing in front of the wall like this but quickly clamped my mouth shut when I saw him put his hand on the wall, and a square shape opened up.

“Whoa…” I breathed out.

“So that’s how rich you are.” I nodded in fascination. There was a transparent sensor on the wall, only allowing nicholas’s hand shape and fingerprints to open up this secret safe inside the wall.

He opened the safe, and it was deep and half of it was filled with stacks of cash. He pulled out a large envelope when something in there caught my eye.

“Wait.” I reached into the safe and grabbed them.

“I couldn’t get myself to get rid of them.” nicholas said as I looked at the red baby shoes and the ultrasound picture. My heart squeezed a bit painfully at the sight of it all, but still smiled, grateful that he saved them.

“Thank you for keeping them.” I looked at him, giving him a soft smile. He kissed the top of my head as I looked at the picture, and the shoes in my hands before putting them safely inside again.

I just hoped one day we would be lucky again.

“Is that the Tiffany Yellow Diamond?!” I let out a small gasp of happiness as I recognized the jewelry box.

“Yes, it was still in your room when we cleaned your house.”

“Thank God! I thought I had lost it. Keep it in there, I don’t want to be responsible for losing fifty million dollars.” I said relieved. He nodded and closed the safe before we went back to his desk. He gave me the envelope and I opened it, seeing it contained some papers. I pulled them out, my brows raised as I read what it was about.

“You fixed the insurance for the boutique?”

“I did.” I could have asked him how he was able to do it but knew he had his ways.

“Thank you but, uh, the numbers are a bit off, don’t you think?” I showed him the document and his brows furrowed as he looked at

“Why are they off?”

“You’re kidding me, right? I’m pretty sure the boutique is nowhere worth this much!” I gaped at him. Even though it was my mother who stood for the finances, there was still no way the boutique was worth this much.

“And I know you made sure I got a nice settlement for it, but even this is too much… Did you write a check?” I eyed him suspiciously.

“I didn’t write a check. Keep looking.” He gestured to the  documents in my hands. I started to read how they had concluded the amount of insurance money.

“The monthly revenue doesn’t make sense…” I mumbled as I frowned while reading.

“I know the boutique did well but I definitely know we never made this much.” I looked at him confused.

“You’re right, it doesn’t make sense. I did make sure you got a nice settlement so you wouldn’t have to worry about it. The numbers are off because your mother used the boutique for laundering money.”

“You’re kidding me, right? I’m pretty sure the boutique is nowhere worth this much!” I gaped at him. Even though it was my mother who stood for the finances, there was still no way the boutique was worth this much.

“And I know you made sure I got a nice settlement for it, but even this is too much… Did you write a check?” I eyed him suspiciously.

“I didn’t write a check. Keep looking.” He gestured to the

documents in my hands. I started to read how they had concluded the amount of insurance money.

“The monthly revenue doesn’t make sense…” I mumbled as I frowned while reading.

“I know the boutique did well but I definitely know we never made this much.” I looked at him confused.

“You’re right, it doesn’t make sense. I did make sure you got a nice settlement so you wouldn’t have to worry about it. The numbers are off because your mother used the boutique for laundering money.”

…What?” I shook my head a little, trying to figure out if I had heard him right.

“Your mother was laundering money, and I believe it’s linked to whoever was after her. I know they are the same ones who burned down the boutique to get rid of any evidence.” He explained and I let out a sigh, rubbing my forehead. I was feeling a little overwhelmed with the new information I keep discovering about my mother.

“Elsa.” nicholas  made me look at him as he pulled me in when I had been quiet for a while.

“I’m okay. It’s just… I feel like I don’t even know her.” I said sadly and rested my head on his chest while he rubbed my back in comfort.

“I know, baby. She probably had a good reason and did whatever she could to keep you safe.”

“And there is still nothing new that can help us in this damn mess?” I asked frustrated. I just wanted to get to the bottom of this.

“Nothing yet, but don’t worry about it for now. I will tell you if there is anything useful.”

“Thank you. Well, I should get going now before it gets too late… Are you driving me to my dad’s house?”

“Gio and Logan will take you there, they are waiting for you. I have something I need to prepare but I will come and get you.”

“Oh, shit, they have been waiting for me all this time?” He nodded and I made a face, knowing Giovanni would have something to say. about keeping him waiting.

Nicholas walked me out and sure enough, Giovanni and Logan were standing by the car, waiting for me. But they were not alone. Two more cars were present and a few more of his men were there too. He was making sure I had extra protection if he wasn’t with me.

“Please, do take your time. It’s not like we have been waiting for you to come out.” Giovanni scowled at me.

“It’s bad enough that I have to babysit your annoying ass once again.” He continued to complain.

“Drop the act, Gio, I know you like me.” I grinned at him, and he looked at me with his poker face.

“I really don’t.”

“Yes, you do! Your secret has been revealed to me. You care about me.” I continued to tease him, making him frown at me.

“I don’t know who has filled your stupid head with nonsense, but I don’t.”

“You care about me.”

“No.”

“Come, gimmie a hug.” I smiled big and I opened my arms wide to hug him. He put a finger to my forehead and stopped me from coming closer to him.

“I don’t get paid enough for this.” I scoffed at him as he slightly pushed me away with his finger, and got inside the car.

“You shouldn’t have done that, Gio! Have you forgotten how great my singing voice is? I’m going to give you one hell of a concert now!” I tried not to laugh when he opened the car door again, got out, and made his way to another car.

“Dario. You go with them, I will take this car.”

“Oh no! Don’t think you can escape me now!” I ran towards him full force and jumped on his back, making him stumble a little in surprise.

“What the fuck are you doing?! Get down!” He turned his head to look at me when I wrapped my legs and arms around him to make sure I stayed on his back.

“Not before you admit you actually care about me!” I tightened my hold on him when he tried to get me off him, but he was careful with how rough he was being as Nicholas watched him like a hawk.

“Over my fucking dead body.” He huffed out annoyed.

“Wrong answer!” I started to painfully pinch his cheek, laughing as he let out a frustrated sound.

“Fine! Just get down before I flick you away like the little gnome you are.” Giovanni said. I jumped down from his back, putting my hands on my hips, and gave him a sweet smile while he scowled.

“So?” I said impatiently when he took his sweet time.

“You are… tolerable.” My smile got wiped out at his answer.

“This is the best you will get out of me. Now, get in the car and let’ s go, I don’t have time for this.” He said quickly before I could say anything and he got inside the car.

“Mean.” I called after him but he ignored me. as he got inside the car.

“Torturing my men once again?” nicholas  wrapped his arms around me.

“I wouldn’t call it torture per se. More like a blessing.” I laughed at my joke.

“I agree. You are a blessing.” He leaned down and kissed me softly.

“I will come and get you later.”

“You’re not going to tell me to behave?” I raised a brow at him and he shook his head.

“No, because then you will do the opposite. However…” Nicholas suddenly spoke in a low tone, only for me to hear.

“If you don’t do anything stupid, I promise to fuck you nice and good later.” He gave me a wink. I felt my face getting warm and excitement building in the pit of my stomach.

“Deal.”

We drove into the familiar driveway. My father’s mansion that I haven’t stepped foot in for so long. The memories I had of both of my parents in this house were crashing into my mind. I only have one parent now.

“Hey, you okay?” Logan’s voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“You’ve been staring at the house for a good five minutes, and haven’t made signs of getting out.”

“Oh… I didn’t even notice.” I let out an embarrassed chuckle and got out of the car.

“I’m going with you inside.” Giovanni said while he checked our surroundings with a blank expression.

“No need for that. I’m pretty sure I’m safe in there.” He suddenly frowned and I followed his gaze. It was Matthew, who returned the glare before making his way inside the mansion.

“Wasn’t that the cunt who gave you a cut on your face?”

“How do you know about that?” I asked in surprise. He gave a small smirk.

“Nicholas  made sure he got the same treatment. With a lil’ extra surprise.” I suddenly remembered when Nicholas said he should have put a bullet in his head instead.

Did that mean he gave him a cut on his face?

“He did?”

“We normally never question Nicholas’s actions, but we did find it strange that he randomly went up to him and fucked up his face.” Logan  let out a small laugh.

“Well, if Nicholas got to him, then I’m sure he won’t try to do anything to me again.” I said. I was going to smash a freaking lamp on his head if he tried anything. Then use it like a baseball bat and swing it against his stupid face. I still had no idea why he hated me this much.

“He will have our fucking heads if you return with even a scratch on you. Can you please for once try not to do anything stupid? I happen to like my life and would like to live another day.” Giovanni crossed his arms with a firm look.

“Why are you all acting like I do something stupid all the time?” I said defensively. They all shot me a blank stare as if saying ‘really?’. I dropped my jaw.

“I don’t!”

“But you do.” Logan  retorted, making me squint my eyes at him.

“Name me one stupid thing I have done.”

“The LuxePalace.” They said immediately at the same time.

“Anything other than that.” I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

“You drugged my girlfriend.”

“You went back to your house unprotected.”

“You met up with the Russian Mob Boss with a gun.”

“You tried to save that girl on your own, and almost got yourself killed in the process.”

“You -”

“Okay, I got it!” I almost shouted when they kept going.

“I said one thing, not a whole damn list.”

“It just proves how stupid you are.” Giovanni shrugged and leaned against the car.

“You’re stupid…” I muttered under my breath, scowling at him. He gave me a look as he heard me, and I quickly made my way inside before he could say anything. I wanted to have the last word after being called out.

Okay, so I had done my fair share of stupid things but one thing I sure as hell would never regret, was helping Laila get away from that scumbag. I hoped the piece of shit was having a fun time, rotting in hell.

“Elisabeth, darling!”

Oh, fuck me already.

“Hi, Maria.” I gave a tight smile. I have not missed her high- pitched voice, nor her constant ‘darling’ calling. She grabbed me by the shoulders and gave each of my cheeks a kiss.

“Darling, how are you? I have heard what happened, and I am so sorry, darling. Are you feeling better?” Maria asked.

Well, I was until you kept calling me darling.

“I… am doing better, thank you.” I tried my best to remain a smile on my face and not to cringe at her high-pitched voice.

“Oh, darling, I know how hard it all can be. I went through something similar as well.”

“You did?” I asked in surprise and she nodded.

“Yes, darling. A few years ago, my mother passed away in her sleep. It was the worst thing I have ever gone through.” I tried to see if she was taking the piss on me. But the sad expression on her face told me she was, and that was what I was fearing.

How in the world could she think it was the same thing? My mother was brutally murdered in front of me.

“Oh… I’m so sorry to hear that…”

“Thank you, my darling.”

“So, is my dad around?” I asked before she could continue.

“He will be here shortly. Do you want to grab a cup of coffee while you wait for him?”

And be stuck with you? Yeah, no thank you.

“Oh, no thank you. If I get any more coffee today I won’t be able to get some sleep.” I forced out a chuckle.

“I will wait for him in his office.”

“All right, darling.” I hurried to my father’s office, letting out a breath of relief. I couldn’t bear listening to her calling me darling one more time.

I quickly got bored waiting for my father. I got up from the couch and looked around to kill time. I checked out the bookshelf, taking a few books to check out, but quickly put them back as it wasn’t anything that interested me.

I sighed loudly and plopped down on the desk chair, spinning around in boredom. An idea popped into my mind and I started to check the drawers for blank papers. Since I had to wait anyway, I might as well just kill time by drawing.

“Oh, that looks familiar.” It was a necklace that looked awfully like the one I had lost. I grabbed it, examining it, only to gasp loudly when I realized it was my necklace.

“What are you doing in here?” Matthew was by the door, glaring at

“Waiting for my dad, what else does it look like I’m doing?” I didn’t care if it came out bitchy. He didn’t deserve me being nice to him after he backhanded me across the face.

“It looks like you’re snooping around.” He snatched the necklace out of my hand.

“It’s mine, give it back!” Matthew tried to push me away when I got close, but I quickly grabbed his arm before he could.

“Try to fucking touch me, and I will make sure you will get something much worse than a nasty scar on your face.” I hissed at him. Now that I was close, I could see the faded but long nasty scar on his left cheek. His nose was slightly crooked as well, making me think that was probably what Giovanni was hinting at. Damn… had Nicholas really cut his face and broken his nose at the same time?

Nice.

Matthew  made the smart decision of backing away from me.

That’s what I thought, you cocksucker for ice cream.

“What is going on here?” My father frowned as he looked back and forth between us.

“Nothing’s going on. I was just waiting for you and Matthew was about to leave.” We continued to glare at each other, neither of us showing signs of backing down.

“She was being a nosy bitch and snooped around.” He held up the necklace to show it to my father. My father said something but I didn’t hear anything, my anger fuelling at the sight of his smug grin for calling me a bitch.

“I dare you to call me that one more time, and you might just accidentally drop dead to the fucking ground.” I took a step closer to him, ready to kick his precious balls.

“Enough!” My father roared out, looking furious.

He grabbed Matthew by the shoulder, forced him to take a couple of steps away from me, and talked to him fast and in a low tone in Italian. Whatever my father was saying to him, it didn’t look like Carlos was very happy about it, and walked out of the office without saying another word. My father let out a sigh and looked at

“Figlia, how are you?” I smiled and went in for a hug.

“I’m doing better.” I closed my eyes, enjoying my father’s arms wrapped around me and the way it gave me a sense of comfort.

“You do look better. Are you being taken good care of?” He leaned back to look at me.

“I am. I went away for a little while… I just needed to process everything.” I said as we moved to take a seat on the couch.

“Sometimes I find myself holding my phone, about to call her and then I remember that I can’t.” My throat tightened and my eyes welled up, but quickly blinked to avoid tears spilling down my face.

“I understand. I can’t say it will get easier or better with time. Eventually, you just learn to live with it. But you will heal, and you will be whole again. One thing is certain and that is grief changes you. You will never be the same, nor do you want to be.” My father sighed as he looked deep in thought.

I pondered his words, realizing just how accurate it was. I didn’t feel like same at all, nor did I ever want to be so helpless as I had been. I was too weak to do anything, and it would forever be on my conscience. If only I had just been a little stronger, maybe I had been able to save her. But no.

She died to protect me.

“Sounds like you’ve had your share of griefs as well?” He let out chuckle but not a humorous one. He got up from the couch to pour two drinks. He handed me a glass of Scotch before returning to his seat.

“It’s a tough industry. It was difficult at first, but now people come and go and you just get used to it.” My father said casually as he sipped his drink.

“I don’t like the sound of that.” I sighed. It didn’t settle well with me at all just thinking about the possibility of losing people I care about. My mother’s death had me shattered into pieces, and I would rather not think about the possibility of losing Nicholas.That would completely ruin me.

Feeling sad, I took a sip of the Scotch and got surprised by the vanilla taste. It was not something I would usually drink but this one was surprisingly good.

“How have you been? Are you still working too much again?” I tried to joke to lighten the mood.

“I’m always" he  chuckled.

“I get that, but you have a bunch of men who can do the work for you.”

“That, I do.” He half-smirked.

“I meant to ask you something but didn’t since you were in completely different state. Your mother… did she by any chance tell you something before she… passed?” My father looked at me with scrutinizing eyes.

“Such as?” I looked at him confused but he just gave a half-shrug, swirling his drink.

“Perhaps anything useful that could help us investigate?”

“I don’t think so… I only remember bits and pieces from that night. I’m not too much of a help, unfortunately.” I said sadly.

“I see.”

“Why?” I tilted my head. It suddenly felt like he didn’t believe me.

“I’m just trying to help, figlia. Your mother and I may have had our differences, but she’s still my ex-wife and the mother of my child.” His expression softened, making me feel slightly guilty.

“Oh… No, sorry. I wish I could be of more help.” I sighed in defeat, truly hating that I couldn’t be more useful to anyone.

“No, don’t worry about it. But if you do remember something, even something minor, let me know.”

“I will keep that in mind.” I gave a small smile as he nodded in approval.

“Good. Now tell me, how’s the wedding coming up?” He suddenly asked in joy.

“Tessa told me it’s going great. Everything is ready and hopefully, she’s getting married in two weeks…” I started to tell him everything about the wedding, and he listened to every word, smiling now and then.

“…That also reminds me I don’t even have a dress for the wedding.” I realized this when I was done.

“You still have two weeks, plenty of time to find something.” My father smiled.

“That is not something you can say to a woman, papá.” He chuckled at my gasp.

“It’s just a dress. They all look the same anyway, just in different colors.”

“That is such a man thing to say.” I shook my head in amusement.

“How can you say that to someone who literally worked in a boutique as a gown designer?”

“All right, all right, my bad.” My father put his hands up in surrender, making me laugh at him.

We finished our drinks as we talked. I got a little carried away with the Scotch as I was now feeling light and warm on the inside.

“Oh, by the way, wasn’t that my necklace I found in your desk drawer? I was looking for some blank papers while waiting for you and found it in there. I wasn’t trying to snoop around, I promise!” I quickly said when he frowned.

“Ah, yes, the necklace.” He reached into the inner pocket of his blazer and pulled out the necklace.

“You forgot it in the hospital and I didn’t have a chance to give it to you.” He handed me the necklace which I took gratefully.

“That’s a relief. I thought I had lost it in … Well, I’m just happy to see it again.”

I jumped in my seat when someone barged in.

“Donavan, good to see you again.” My father got up, unbothered that he barged in. He gave a nod to my father as they shook hands.

“I’m assuming you’re here to get my dear figlia.”

“I am.” Nicholas  looked at me and then looked at the coffee table, frowning at the empty glasses before looking at me again.

“Let’s go.” His expression went blank, and I was wondering why his tone was cold. Or maybe I was used to him being different around

“It was nice to see you again. Take care, papá.” I hugged him and placed a small kiss on his cheek.

“You too.” He smiled. Nicholas  barely glanced at my father when he bid us goodbye and grabbed my hand. I couldn’t tell if something happened that got him in a mood, or if it was just his usual way of being when he was around other people whom he was not close with.

Just as we got outside, I saw Asher.He stopped in his tracks as he looked at me, and I felt his hurtful words pierce into my heart as we looked at each other. Nicholas wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him as we walked past him. Asher  looked like he wanted to say something but decided against it. I looked away as we passed him, grateful he didn’t try to say.

Nicholas  opened the car door for me. Before I could get in, he gave me a long kiss as he held me tightly. He had a smirk on his lips when he leaned back. I knew why he did it, which was why I was avoiding looking in a certain direction, and quickly got inside the car.

“Where are we going?” I asked. We had been driving for a while now and not in the direction of the manor.

“It’s a surprise.” He gave a teasing smile.

“I don’t like it when people say that.”

“I know.” He winked, making me groan.

“Uh… Why are we in an airport?” I looked around, and Nicholas stopped right in front of a private jet.

“Wait, you said you wouldn’t send me away!” I exclaimed loudly in a panic.

“I’m not sending your ass away. Who else would suck the life out of me if I did?” He gave me a smug grin.

“You’re such a dick.” I scoffed. Nicholas chuckled and kissed the back of my hand.

“We’re going to Italy. I want you to meet my family.”    “Are you being serious?” I gaped at him as he smiled at me.

“No, I took you to the airport for the fun of it.” I gave him a blank look to which he chuckled at.

“I told you I would take you to Italy to meet the rest of my family, now is a good time before the wedding.”

“Well, now I feel a little nervous.” I said.

What if they didn’t like me at all, or thought of me as a bad match to Nicholas since I wasn’t, well, the most obedient person? He did say his grandmother was a traditional and religious woman, maybe she wanted a woman like that for him. I knew Nicholas came from a Catholic family but he wasn’t religious at all. He proved that in more than one way …

“Don’t worry, I know they will love you.”

“One can hope…” I muttered. Nicholas opened the door for me and took my hand in his, leading us to the private jet. Now I was feeling nervous about flying. So many hours in the air in that thing…

“Wait!” I stopped to look at him.

“Something wrong?” He looked around my face, probably seeing how nervous I was.

“I didn’t even pack anything, and what about my passport?”

“I took care of it. Don’t worry and just relax. You will be fine.”

“How much did you drink? Your cheeks are flushed. “He pointed out as his tongue went across his lip.

“A little more than I should have.” I gave an innocent smile when he frowned.

“But it was surprisingly good!”

“You liked the vanilla Scotch?” He raised a brow at me.

“You could tell what it was?”

“I can still taste it on your lips. It’s also what your father usually drinks.”

“Good thing I had a drink, hopefully, I won’t be too nervous about flying. Oh, that also reminds me.” I pulled out the necklace from my pocket.

“Can you help me put it on so I don’t lose it again?” I pulled my hair up to make it easier for him. I turned around to face him again when he was done, and he was looking at my necklace with a blank expression. He touched the small pendant as if examining it.

“Turns out I had forgotten it in the hospital.” I explained to him when he didn’t say anything.

“Did you, now.” He looked at me, and I gave a small shrug.

“I guess Mikka must have taken it off while she tended to my wounds?”

“Hmm.”

“Is there something wrong?”

“No. Let’s go” Nicholas let out a small smile and took my hand in his.

We boarded the jet where Giovanni and Logan  were already inside, sitting comfortably in their seats. I looked around at the very luxurious jet in awe. Being rich had its perks.

“There’s also a bedroom when you get tired. It’s a long flight.” Nicholas informed me.

“Damn, a bedroom? How long does it take to get to Italy?” I took a seat and Nicholas sat across from me. There was even a table between us.

“Around twelve hours.” My eyes widened in shock.

“I have to stay in this metal coffin for twelve hours?!” I gulped a little and Nicholas looked at me with amused eyes.

“You have been to Italy before, right?”

“Only once or twice when I was younger, but I don’t remember flying for so long.”

“It’s almost the same amount of time to Greece.” He pointed out.

“I guess, but it’s been a while since I last went there. Also, I took sleeping pills so I wouldn’t be thinking about flying.” I said nervously. To be thousands of feet up in the air and if something went wrong, there was nothing you could do but just wait to crash and die. I felt the color drain from my face.

“Hey, come here.” Nicholas spoke softly to me and took my hand to sit next to him.

“You’re looking pale… Nothing is going to happen, I promise you it’ s safe.” He looked at me, concerned.

“That is not something you can promise…” I mumbled, feeling my anxiety spike.

“If something goes wrong, can you at least shoot me so I don’t have to witness crashing to my death?” I asked him seriously. Nicholas’s expression darkened.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” He quietly hissed at me. I ignored him and turned to look at Logan.

“No.” Logan said immediately before I could ask.

“Gio?”

“I will happily shoot you. Don’t worry about it.” He said, barely glancing my way as he focused on his phone.

“Thank you. I knew I could count on you.” Logan kicked Giovanni’s leg, making him look at him with a scowl. He then looked at me and then at Nicholas after receiving a warning look from Logan.

“I was just kidding.” He quickly said, making me turn to look at Nicholas who had a terrifying look on his face.

“Watch your fucking mouth, or I will throw you out while we’re flying. Understood.” Nicholas  practically growled. Chills ran down my spine at his tone, and his voice was filled with promise. Giovanni gave a nod before going back to his phone.

“And you.” He held my chin to face him as he spoke quietly to me.

“Don’t you dare joke around with something like that again. I won’t tolerate it. He said with glare.

“Sorry.” I said quietly as he let go of me.

I held Nicholas ’s hand tightly in mine, trying to calm down as I felt we got slingshot into the air.Nicholas  tried to help me, talking to me to distract me while he caressed my hand, telling me a bit more about his family and Italy. It worked because I didn’t even realize we had been flying for a while as I was deep into our conversation.

“Did you have a good time with your father?”

“I did! It was nice to see him again.” I said happily and he smiled at my reaction.

“That’s good. What did you talk about?”

“He asked how I was doing and gave me a pep talk of some sort about dealing with death.” I let out a small sigh.

“And if there was anything I could tell him to help investigate.”

“What did he want to know?” Nicholas furrowed his brows.

“Just if my mom mentioned anything before she passed away.” I said.

“I see.” He trailed off, once again wearing his blank expression.

“I don’t remember much of what happened that night…” I sighed. It was just one big blank space whenever I tried to remember anything.

“Well, maybe she did?” I suddenly said and sat up straight, my heart beating a little faster.

“What is it?” He looked at me seriously, catching the attention of the others as well.

“Something about how she should have known how he was going to do this sooner rather than later.” Nicholas shared a quick look with the others before focusing on me again. I didn’t know if it was something he could use, it could still be anyone.

“As much I would rather have you not remembering that night at all, do you remember anything else she said?” I frowned, thinking hard about it.

“She… told me whatever was going to happen I need to stay with you… because you’re the only one who can protect me from him.” Nicholas’s expression turned ice cold and terrifying, sending shivers through my body as he stared intently at me.

“… But it could still be anyone. She didn’t get to finish what she meant by it.” My shoulders sagged in defeat and disappointment, knowing it was probably a dead end. He still didn’t say anything, as if deep in thought, making me wonder if there was something.

“I don’t want you to worry about it now. Leave it to me.” He said before I could ask.

“You will let me know if you discover something, right?” I looked at him with hopeful eyes but he didn’t answer immediately.

“I will.” Nicholas  gave a short nod and pulled me closer to him, kissing the top of my head.

Hours went by and I wasn’t scared of flying anymore. I even moved to sit across from Nicholas to look out to see the sunset. It was an incredible view from above. To see the soft and warm colors, and the fluffy clouds was truly a majestic view.

Nicholas still had work , He had been on his phone a lot lately. He didn’t notice I was staring at him, but then my eyes widened when I saw a small smile on Gio's  lips. I gaped in shock as he texted back whoever had him smiling like that.

I took my phone out and quickly sent a text to Nicholas.

Elsa
Does Gio have a girlfriend?

Nicholas looked at me with a brow raised, wondering why I was texting him, but I signaled him to text me back.

Nicholas
Why the sudden interest?

I rolled my eyes at his jealous ass.

Elsa
He has been on his phone non-stop, AND he is smiling. Look!

Nicholas took a discreet look at Giovanni, seeing how he was still slightly smiling.

Nicholas
Not that I know of.

Elsa
Sounds like a job for me. I’m going to find out!

I grinned at Nicholas as he shook his head at me before resuming his paperwork. I sat comfortably with my legs over the armrest, swinging them back and forth, pretending I was sketching something, when in fact, I was waiting for Giovanni to get back on his phone.

“I need to pee.” I got up once I saw him back on his phone. I walked past him, taking a few steps sneaking back to right behind his seat, and looked over his shoulder.

I held my breath to be quiet and tried to see who had his grumpy ass smiling like this.

“Oh, my God!” I gasped loudly, making him jump in his seat.

“What the fuck?!” He scowled but I just stared at him in shock.

“When did that happen?” I pointed to his phone.

“You were reading my texts?”

“Uh, yeah?” I said as if it was no big deal.

“When did that happen?” I asked again.

“I don’t need to tell you anything.” Giovanni scoffed.

“Scoot over.” I pushed him to make room for me on his seat.

“There’s no room for your fat ass here.” He groaned as I wiggled to get comfortable.

"Awh, you think my ass is fat? I have been doing a lot of squats lately. Does it show?” I stood up and his eyes went wide, and his ears got slightly red.

“Why are you trying to get me killed today?” Giovanni looked at the ceiling, avoiding looking at me.

“I’m not. So, is my ass fat or nah?”

“If you as much look, I will carve your eyes out.” Nicholas stated coldly before his eyes met mine.

“And you, stop testing me. My hand has been twitching for hours now.”

“Oh, has it?” I wiggled my brows, getting a small smirk from him.

“Now I wished I was dead.” Giovanni commented with a disgusted look on his face.

“Shut it. Now, tell me how long you have been talking to Laila?” I once again made him scoot so I could wiggle my way next to him.

“You know I won’t leave you alone before you tell me.” I grinned. He ran a hand down his face in annoyance.

“For a while now.” He answered.

“No, I need details.” I needed to know everything since it was Laila we were talking about.

“It’s not what you think. You were the ones who sent me to Portugal to make sure she would be safe, so I did. Now she just texts me to let me know how she’s doing.”

“Bullshit.” I said immediately. There was no way he would have given her his number if he wasn’t interested or concerned as well.

“You like her. You have been smiling at your phone like crazy.” I teased.

“I haven’t.” He gave me a blank look.

“But you have.” Logan  yawned and stretched his arms.

“Your endless bickering woke me up. What did I miss?”

“Gio has a crush on Laila.” I replied.

“Who?” Logan looked confused at the name.

“The girl she foolishly tried to help on her own, and almost got herself killed in the process.” Nicholas  filled him in, now participating in the conversation.

“Oh, that girl.” Logan  said in realization while I gave blank look at Nicholas  for saying it like that.

“Now tell me, how did it happen?” I went back to Giovanni, excited to hear the story.

“It’s not that deep, okay. I was with her to make sure she got to her family safely. She then admitted she still felt unsafe and asked if I could stay for a couple of days. I hung around for a bit and helped her out with some stuff.” He shrugged and tried to dismiss us. I shared a with Nicholas and Logan , also seeing they didn’t fully buy it.

“Yeah, he likes her.” Logan said amused.

“Totally.” I grinned. I was thrilled that Laila could find comfort after everything. And I knew he liked her since she had him smiling like that already. Maybe she could make him a lot less grumpy.

“You’re over your heads. I’m just seeing how she’s doing.” Giovanni tried to defend himself.

“Whether you want to admit it now or later, we know you’re into her. You don’t care about people.” Nicholas said, and we nodded in agreement.

Nicholas got up and held his hand for me.

“Don’t disturb us.” He said to them and lead me to the back of the jet where the bedroom was.

“Get some sleep. When we land it’ll be around dinner time as they are nine hours ahead.” He explained to me as he unbuttoned his dress shirt, my eyes slowly going down, following his hands as his abs came to view.

“I will sleep after you give me what you promised me.” I met his eyes after I was done drinking in his body, giving a sly smile.

“I have every intention of fulfilling my promise.” He grabbed the hem of my shirt and pulled it off me, unclasping my bra and throwing it to the side. He picked me up and laid me down on the soft bed.

“Let me show you how I am a man of my word.” Then he sealed his lips to mine.

.

I took a quick shower before we landed and got ready since we would drive directly to Nicholas’s family house. My nerves kicked in, and my stomach was in thousands of knots as I kept changing outfits. I wanted to give a good impression.

“Is this fine? Am I showing too much skin?” I was wearing a very pretty nude midi dress with ruched details and an asymmetrical hem. It had only one sleeve, leaving my other arm entirely bare.

“You look beautiful.” Nicholas smiled, pulling me into him by my waist.

“Thank you.” I placed a quick kiss on his lips.

“So, I’m not showing too much skin?”

“No, you’re fine. You’re overthinking this.” He chuckled.

“Well, I don’t want your grandmother to tell me I’m going to hell for showing too much skin! She can never know I’ve spread my legs for you before marriage. She will for sure tell me I will burn for eternity! What if -” Nicholas  stopped my rambling by squeezing my cheeks together with his hand, making my lips pout.

“My love, you will be fine. More than fine because you’re you. You have a way to make people love you.”

“Do you think so?” It came out muffled.

“I know they will love you. Come, it’s time to go.” He held my hand and I took a deep breath as we made out way out of the jet.

This was it.

I was meeting his family.

We stopped right in front of a beautiful estate and my nerves kicked in full force.

“This way.” Nicholas  lead me to the garden, and that was when I heard voices the closer were got.

“Stay behind me.” He smiled as we rounded the corner.

“Oh mio Dio, Nicholas!” Gasps and sounds of excitement were heard, making me smile at their reaction to him.

“My beautiful son is back.” His mother spoke in Italian and hugged him with tears in her eyes. It allowed me to see just how much they resembled each other.

Nicholas embraced her back before she stepped away and greeted whom I assumed was his grandmother. His mother was smiling at him, and then she turned to look in my direction, only now realizing he brought someone with him.

“Nicholas ?” She gasped and put her hand to her chest. His grandmother had the same reaction when she spotted me. Nicholas took my hand in his with a soft smile on his lips.

“Madre, Nonna. Meet Elisabeth,the love of my life.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 13.7K 29
He's a blind mafia man, the heir who lost his eyesight. She's a kindhearted girl whose job is to take care of him. Will the two of them find their wa...
583K 9.9K 75
"Apologize, amore." he said with a deadly tone of voice. "If I don't apologize, then what?" I replied with grin on my face. He wrapped his arms aroun...
6.8K 329 19
The cold barrel presses sharply into my temple. "Go on," I goad. "Isn't this what you do to the people who piss you off?" His gaze hardens. His hand...
1.3K 65 10
I stepped into the doorway, turning back to look at him as he tucked his hands into his navy blue jean's pockets. Despite my obvious insecurity, I le...