Loving You

By Daisy_09112005

Catherine Shaw, 26, lives in the countryside of England. She has been living with her aunt after the death of... More

Chapter 1 | The Pre-Christmas Ball
Chapter 2 | The New Neighbour
Chapter 3 | Lost Childhood
Chapter 4 | The coming of the soldiers
Chapter 5 | The meeting in Oxyberry
Chapter 6 | The Moonlight
Chapter 7 | Emotions
Chapter 8 | The Lunch and Hard Truths
Chapter 9 | Welcome back
Chapter 10 | If only I could hold you for this night
Chapter 11 | Sparks and Jealousy?
Chapter 12 | Thinking what you are thinking
Chapter 13 | So close yet far away
Chapter 14 | Dresses, ribbons and the sparkle in your eyes
Chapter 15 | Christmas morning
Chapter 16 | The Surprise
Chapter 17 | The Ball- 1
Chapter 18 | The Ball-2
Chapter 19 | The Ball- 3
Chapter 20 | Dilemmas
Chapter 21 | Confronting
Chapter 22 | Facing the past
Chapter 23 | Trouble
Chapter 24 | The escape and the truth
Chapter 25 | Let it go with a kiss
Chapter 26 | A new year like no other
Chapter 28 | Fake apologies and what not
Chapter 29 | Healing from the past wounds
Chapter 30 | Kidnapped
Chapter 31 | Agony
Chapter 32 | The help and revelations
Chapter 33 | Loving you
Epilogue | Wedding bells and honeymoon
Author's note

Chapter 27 | The wedding

88 3 0
By Daisy_09112005

The next few weeks were spent on Henrietta's wedding preparations. William would come to lend them a hand or two. Cathy had to hide 'his love mark' using a muffler. He would frequently tease her about it, earning himself a slap on his shoulder or a furiously red face of his lover.

And finally through all the hustle, came the day, when her sister would be married off to her love. Cathy had spent the majority of the morning, dreading. She couldn't believe that the next day, she would have to wake up without her sister in the house. She had always imagined that she would be married someday, but she had never really imagined the loneliness that would come along with it.

Mrs Dudley barged into her room. "Help Henrietta with her dress. Make sure she looks the most beautiful bride."
Cathy nodded obidiently. She knocked on her door.
"Come in."
She stood their in awe as she saw her sister wearing her wedding gown. "Henrietta...."
She placed herself towards her and brushed her cheeks softly. "You look stunning." She was on the verge of tearing up. She hadn't realised that her sister had really grown up, untill now.
"Cathy, do not cry now. Or else, I wouldn't want to get married."
"No. Don't say that." She brushed the piece of hair behind her ear. "You are marrying the person you love. And that too a rich business with values and manners. Not everyone is that lucky."
"I am afraid. What if I mess up? What if I falter during the vows."
"Henrietta, that would be your moment. Imagine it's just you and Mr Cavendish. Words would flow out automatically."

She braided her luscious, brown locks into a beautiful updo. She attached some small white flowers as well to accentuate her hair. She smiled as she looked at her reflection. "Mr Cavendish will not be able to take his eyes off me," she exclaimed.
"Isn't that the plan?"
The two burst into fits of laughter. As she pinned the veil on her head she thought if the laughter was their last before she went away forever. It was too difficult for her, to imagine the house without her. The fear of being left alone resurfaced her heart again.

"Cathy, do you think I'll make a good wife?"
"Henrietta, learn to believe in yourself first. You are a smart girl. You will make a pretty good wife."
She kissed her cheek. "Thank you. I needed this."
"Now, take a deep breath in. The ceremony would be commencing soon."

~

Mr. Cavendish was wearing a black tweed suit and a white shirt, paired with his black trousers. He looked quite fashionable, a gold chain dangling from one end of his pocket to the other, adding a little statement to his attire. He was accompanied by some of his friends, his brother being the best man.
"I am so proud of you brother." His brother gave a proud pat on his back.
"The truth is I am so nervous. I might fuck up with my vows." He earned a soft chuckle from his brother. 
"I have never seen you falter in your whole life. Calm down. It's going to be alright."
"You don't get it...it's not like that. What if I pass out after seeing her?"
"You know what? I am going to join my friends. All these romantic talks coming from you... it is making me nauseous."
He slapped his little brother's shoulder. "I made you my best man for a reason."
"Go drink some water.  It might help you with your anxiety."

He went towards the food table and poured himself a glass of water. He chugged it down and waited for his breathing to become steady.
"It's so nice to see you Mr Cavendish."
He turned around only to see a certain tall man with dirty blonde hair, greeting him. "Oh Mr Benwick! It's a pleasure to have your company again."
"So, why are you standing here alone? Shouldn't you be inside the church?"
"I am nervous. I don't know how I would keep my cool in front of her."
William smiled teasingly. "Well, I can see someone totally lost in love."
He tried to hide his red face by 'trying' to adjust the golden chain.
"Just a small suggestion. Let the things happen. You don't have to plan it out in advance."
"But that is what is scaring me the most. I don't know what is lying ahead."
"Exactly. That is the plan."

~

"Miss Henrietta Dudley and Mr Jacob Cavendish, have you come here to enter into marriage without coercion, free and whole heartedly?" The priest's voice echoed through the colossal church.
"I have," the two responded in unison.

Cathy stood beside her sister, holding the tray of their wedding ring while Jacob's brother was holding the tray of holy water.

"Are you prepared, as you follow the path of marriage, to love and honor each other for as long as you both shall live?"
"I am," they replied.
"Since it is your intention to enter the covenant of Holy Matrimony, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church."
The two joined their hands. Heat rushed through their faces, as they turned visibly red.

Jacob took a deep breathe in and exhaled as he said his vow. "I, Jacob Cavendish, take you, Henrietta Dudley to be my wife. I promise to be faithful to you, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love you and to honor you all the days of my life."

Henrietta clutched her bouquet tightly. "I, Henrietta Dudley, take you, Jacob Cavendish, to be my husband. I promise to be faithful to you, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love you and to honor you all the days of my life."

"May the Lord in his kindness strengthen the consent you have declared before the Church and graciously bring to fulfillment his blessings within you. What God has joined, let no one put asunder.
May the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, the God who joined together our first parents in paradise, strength and bless in Christ the consent you have declared before the Church, so that what God joins together, no one may put asunder.
Let us bless the Lord."

He signalled Cathy and Jacob's brother to step forward. "Bless, O Lord, these rings which we bless in your name, so that those who wear them may remain entirely faithful to each other, abide in peace and in your will, and live always in mutual charity. Through Christ our Lord."
He sprinkled the holy water onto the rings and handed it to each of the partner.

She slipped the ring into his ring finger and bobbed a curtsy. He took her cold hands, and slid down the ring gently into her ring finger and bowed down to kiss it.

"In the sight of God and these witnesses, I now pronounce you as husband and wife. You may now kiss."

He wasted no time in pulling her towards herself before landing his lips on hers, gently. The crowd stood up and cheered for them.

All the girls positioned themselves to catch her bouquet. She turned around and threw it towards Cathy's direction. Her reflexes naturally told her to catch it. The girls cheered for her as she stood there in shock.
"They say that the lady who catches the newly wed bride's bouquet gets married soon," said someone.
She could feel William's heavy gaze on her. She clutches into the bouquet. Well, it did feel a little good to emerge victorious in at least something.

Before she could go towards him, Jacob's brother approached her. "Well, good afternoon Miss Shaw."
She wanted him to move but she knew that it would be rude. "Good afternoon Mr Cavendish. What brings you here?"
"Well, I saw you there back then. Well, I just wanted to have a talk with you."
"Regarding?"
"Anything. It's just that I just wanted to talk to a pretty lady like you."

"Well, the pretty lady is already engaged to someone." William's deep voice asserted his dominance over him.
"Oh, sorry. I didn't know about that." The poor guy made a run for his life. The height difference between the two was enough to intimidate him.

"William, you didn't have to scare that poor man. I was about to tell him I am older than him."
He took her hand and dragged her towards the empty corner behind the church. "You are mine Cathy. I wouldn't just simply watch a random man trying to flirt with you."
Her knees felt weak at his sudden possessiveness. You are mine. The words echoed in her mind, over and over again.

She pulled him into a hug. That seemed to help him calm down, as she felt him drop his shoulders and put his arms on her waist. "William, you are the only man I want. I only have feelings for you and no one else."

He simply brushed his fingers through her black locks of hair. "Cathy, you have no idea how much I like you. I can even kill a man if he dared to hurt you." He didn't tell her how happy and apprehensive he was when she caught the bouquet. What if it was a sign of their upcoming marriage? But, would she want to marry him? They were still taking things slow. He decided not to think too much about it and enjoy the present with her.

He slid her muffler down, to reveal a half healed 'bruise' on her neck. He kissed there again as he smiled triumphantly. That made her face flush in embarrassment. His mark has still not completely healed from her neck. But she wasn't complaining. She had to wear a muffler for the winters either way.

These moments with William made her realise that it wasn't so bad being in love with someone. You can be yourself without the fear of being judged. He also enjoyed the times they would sneak out. It made her feel like a rebel, making her feel that she was a strong girl.
She pushed his face gently from her neck.
"William, I think that's enough for today. We must go now, or else the guests would be worried about us."

He made a face but had to let her go. She chuckled as she jogged back towards the crowd.
"Where were you Cathy? Don't you want to bid farewell to your newly wedded sister?" Her aunt eyed her suspicious, before she directed her towards Henrietta's direction.

"Cathy!" She pulled her into her embrace. "I am going to miss you. Write me letters."
She patted her soft plump cheeks as tears welled down her eyes. "Surely, I would. Please safe. I know Mr Cavendish is a nice person. I pray for the prosperity of your new life as a wife. May the Christ bestow his blessings upon the new couple."
"Now if you cry like this I would be unable to go."

Cathy laughed as she chuckled at her sister's innate childishness.
"I will miss you."

"Oh I hope that you get married soon, if at all you want to."
Cathy have her a toothy grin. "Let me tell you a secret before you go." She faced herself towards her ears and whispered,"I have been seeing Mr Benwick for quite sometime. Maybe, like a month."

Henrietta gasped. She toned herself down. "What are you saying? Are you jesting me?"
"No I am not. He's a good man indeed." He looked towards his direction. He was busy entertaining the kids of the guests. "He can be a little trouble sometimes, or else, he's nice."
"Cathy, I'll faint. You are talking about love... the world has surely come to its end."
"Don't say it like that Henrietta."
Henrietta brushed her cheek. "If this is serious, if you are truly in love, then don't let him go. I can tell you that he would keep you happy forever. I can tell a person's personality. And I assure you he's a fine gentleman." Henrietta recalled the couple's dance at the ball. Their rhythm, their connection... everything matched. She could tell that they were made for each other.

She sat down in Henrietta's now empty room. The sun had fallen into the horizon and darkness had set in. Few moments ago, she was there and now it's all empty. Mr Dudley had been out, celebrating with some of his old friends. He was accompanied by Mrs Dudley. Charles was fast asleep in his bed. Her heart felt as empty as the street at midnight. The silence was deafening her ears. It felt as if she was standing on near the jaws of death as it tried to lure her towards itself. But she knew that what Henrietta did would make her happy. She was assured that she would lead a flourishing life.
She went to her room and blew out the candles. She peeked through her window, only to see that William's room was unlit. He had fallen asleep. She laid down, as fatigue took over her.

~

"Yes father. I love William. I have loved him since we were kids."

"Stop it! You, imbecile daughter of mine. How could I ever show my face to the public? The whole of Oxyberry and the most elite people are now aware of you and your stupidity."
May's father roared furiously as he scolded his daughter. "You can't have any sort of relationship with him. Not after what happened at the ball."

"Fredrick, it's fine. She is our daughter after all. You can't just scold her for falling in love."

"Stay out of this Lily. I wouldn't have scolded her if she had fallen in love. But, what she did was incorrigible. Pining down a woman's self dignity for your own selfish needs." He banged his table. "I have taught you to be virtuous. But your values are opposite to what I have tried to ingrain in you."
Lord Fredrick Jannette was known to be the most just and virtuous Lord, the whole of his town has ever witnessed. He couldn't stand injustice.

May stomped out of his office. Fredrick stopped his wife from going after her.

May laid on her bed, as she cried.
"Can I come in?" A man with thick moustache and vibrant blue eyes stood outside her door.
She didn't say anything. He took it as a que and sat down beside her.
"What is it that is bothering my dear niece?"
"Uncle, I love a man but this woman...oh god..she is a personification of the snake...she is trying to steal him away from me."
"Who is it that is trying to compete with my beautiful niece? Who has dared to challenge you?"

"Catherine Shaw," she spit her name in rage.
"What? Pardon."
"Catherine Shaw."
"Catherine," he mumbled in shock.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 403 22
Katherine Windsor (née Arlington) returned to Mayfair with a heavy heart, her past weighing down on her like an anchor. She had once been Katherine A...
Bound To Bea By Lily Orevba

Historical Fiction

89.7K 7.5K 47
"No respect for the dead." His words came out in silent whispers, his teeth clenched. A small smile tugged on her lips. "Respect is earned in life, m...
478K 22.2K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...
231K 11.5K 25
| Completed | "I've never been more certain of anything in my life, Kitten. You...were made for me." Elijah Wright, the Duke of Kent, grew up learnin...