Back To You (gxg)

By lroseman55

Still reeling over the mistakes she made at her old job, 25-year-old Jenny O'Malley is looking forward to a f... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16- Riley's POV
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50

Part 3

2.1K 60 24
By lroseman55

Back in high school, Riley and I were part of completely different friend groups- but she caught my eye.

I was on the quieter side, but had a nice group of girlfriends that I would spend a lot of time with. I was in mostly honors classes as well.

Riley, on the other hand, was part of the soccer and women's basketball teams at school. People knew who she was. She was outgoing, funny, and had many friends from what I knew.

In each of my years in high school, she was in at least one of my classes. Most of them being electives. We didn't even speak very much, only when we had to in class.

But she still caught my eye. Something about her always did. And that was before I even fully accepted my sexuality. But I found her attractive.

She was openly a lesbian, which I also admired in a way as well. And knowing she also liked girls...that just confirmed the attraction.

She never knew that I was attracted to her, at least from what I could guess. She never knew that I like girls too. No one really does.

Especially now that I'm not focusing on that attraction that I have.

I got some of it out of my system in college. And now I am focusing on my career. And one day I would likely end up with a man.

At least, that's what I was telling myself.

My second day of work, while still good, was less exciting than the first. And I knew it was because I didn't have Riley training me.

Keely Lightstone, while very nice, was straight to business. Training with her felt slower. Her blonde ponytail bobbed up and down as she spoke and clicked around on my computer.

I ate lunch with Danielle and Demarcus again, as they both worked from home on Thursdays and Fridays. Tim, who I hadn't met the day before, also ate with us.

Tim caught my eye a bit. He was tall, muscular, and had light brown hair and green eyes. He was very friendly as well.

But even while speaking to him at lunch too, I found myself wanting to be speaking with Riley.

I kind of wish she worked in the office every day. At least I'll see her tomorrow.

I also met Marie and Lauren. And when I met Lauren Kiliian, I could see why Danielle said that everyone "basically" got along.

Lauren seemed very stand-offish. She had light blonde hair, very tan skin, and a lot of makeup on. She seemed to speak with Tim, but that was it. She hardly said hello to me when I introduced myself.

Tim had gotten up to take a phone call, and that's when Danielle and Demarcus spilled some gossip.

"We don't like Lauren." Danielle said to me at lunch, "Just to be real with you."

"I wanted to say something yesterday, but I didn't want to come off bad or try to sway your opinion." Demarcus said.

"She once made a comment on how I should 'dress better suited for my body'- and since then, I've hated her." Danielle said, taking a bite of her salad.

"Sounds like my mom." I said, rolling my eyes, "She hardly said hello to me, so I don't like her either."

"That's why I hated it too." Danielle said, "Sounds like my mother. I'm sorry you've dealt with the same."

Danielle and I shared an understanding look.

Demarcus said, "My mom is the complete opposite. And she can cook. And she makes sure as hell that you're eating."

"I'm going to have to meet your mom, then." Danielle laughed.

"She'd love you." Demarcus said to Danielle, with a smile.

I learned in conversation as well that Demarcus had a 4 year old daughter named Bianca, with his ex-girlfriend. She was even the background on his phone, which I found sweet.

"You know who really doesn't like Lauren- though she hides it well." Danielle said, "Riley. She can't stand her."

Even the mere mention of Riley's name made my heart skip a beat.

"Riley is a good person. She doesn't like people that aren't good as well." Demarcus said.

"In a nutshell, yes." Danielle nodded.

I was a bit more tired when I got home the second day to my apartment. My roommate and friend, Stephanie Barbosa, was not home yet. Stephanie is a second grade teacher, and she gets home at around 4:30 PM.

I met Stephanie in college, not until my senior year. We because friends through my old roommate, McKenzie, and we stayed friendly since. Stephanie wound up getting a teaching job last year in my town, and she messaged me on Facebook asking if I knew of anyone who needed a roommate. I told her I was needing to move out of my parents home- and we've been roommates ever since. We live in a two bedroom, one and a half bathroom apartment, along with my cat, Sunshine.

I sat down on the couch in the living room, and Sunshine came running up to me and jumped up on the couch next to me. Sunshine is a 4 year old Calico cat that I adopted from a shelter 3 years ago. Stephanie has even grown to love her as well.

As I pet Sunshine, I got a phone call- from my mom.

I picked up, "Hello?"

"Hi, honey. I wanted to know how your first two days of work have been. I'm sorry I didn't get to call yesterday." she said.

"That's fine." I said back, "It's been good. I think I'm going to really like it."

"Good." my mom said, "And you're making more money than your last company, which is great. And hopefully this one will actually promote you, unlike your last job."

The reason I told my parents why I was leaving my job at the optical company was because there wasn't room for growth.

Which was not the true reason. But I could never reveal that to them.

"Hopefully one day they will promote me." I said.

"Well, you'll work hard and I'm sure they will." my mom said, "Brit is coming up this Saturday with the kids for dinner. Want to come?"

Brittany is my 29 year old sister. She has two kids, my nieces Violet, who is 4, and Carson, who is 2.

"I'll think about it." I said, "Can I let you know?"

My mom sighed, "Sure, Jenny. Just let me know so I can cook enough food."

"I will." I said, "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Yep. Love you, bye." my mom said, and hung up.

I put my phone down, feeling a bit less happy that I had a few moments ago.

The next morning, I found myself wanting to look nicer for work. Not overtly. But just little touches of making myself look prettier.

And I knew exactly why.

I lightly curled my auburn hair that was to the end of my chest, and I put on a little extra makeup than I had my first two days. As for my clothes- I tend to try to cover up the fact that I have a larger chest- however I wore a button up that was a little bit tighter.

But not too tight. Lauren and Danielle wore tighter clothes the day before.

When I came into work, Riley was already at my cubicle, her chair next to my empty one.

"Good morning." I said to her, as I walked up.

She had been looking down at her nails. Which were short and not painted. And when she heard my voice she looked up at me.

She then stood up and said, "Hey! Keely told me that training went well yesterday, and you're picking up on a lot. I knew you would. Today I'll be training you at your desk for half the day, and then you'll shadow me at mine. I have a client call, and I want you to be able to listen in. But don't worry- we will take lots of breaks."

Riley smiled at me and I smiled back and said, "Sounds good."

"Alright." Riley said, "Let's get to it."

Once again, the morning flew by with Riley. Much faster than it had gone with Keely.

"How is it already 11:30?" I said after two and a half hours, "Training with you flies by."

"That's the goal." Riley said, "Glad time isn't dragging with me."

"It's certainly not." I said.

Riley looked at me with a warm expression and said, "Thanks. That does mean a lot."

When it got to lunch, Riley once again left the building, and I ate with Danielle, Tim, and Marie Chan- who was the last of my co-workers that I met.

Marie was as sweet as could be. She was small, very petite, and had long, shiny straight black hair and bangs. She told me she was Japanese, and she had moved to the U.S from Japan when she was seven. Marie was very soft spoken, and I could tell I was going to like her a lot.

"I'm glad you'll be here tomorrow." I said to Marie, "I've been eating lunch with Danielle and Demarcus each day."

"I'd be happy to eat with you, Jenny." Marie said to me, with a smile.

"Hey. So would I." Tim said, giving me a grin.

"And maybe Riley will too, not tomorrow- but Friday. She tends to eat here on Fridays." Danielle said.

"Does she leave for lunch most days?" I asked.

"She does." Danielle nodded- and she didn't say anything else.

I feel like there could be more to this.

When I got back from lunch, Riley was already at her desk- and she had brought my chair over to where she sat.

I found myself looking at the photos on her desk. She had three. One was with her and a woman that I assumed was her mom- they looked a lot like, and had the same bright smile. The other picture was her and what looked like a couple of friends. They were in soccer uniforms. She must've played at college.

Doesn't look like there's any picture of a girlfriend. Or even a wife.

Riley must've caught me looking at the photo of her in the soccer uniform, because she said, "I played soccer in college, I don't get to play much anymore, which is kind of a bummer."

I turned to her, my face a bit hot from her catching me looking, and said, "You played in high school too, right?"

"That and basketball." Riley said, "But I always played soccer more. You were in the choir, right?"

I'm surprised she knew that.

"I was." I said, "While I wasn't in any kind of choir group in college, I still like to sing."

"I'll have to get you to sing me a song sometime." Riley said, "I'm tone deaf."

I laughed, "Maybe I will."

Riley smiled at me and then said, "So, this client call- I'm demo'ing a new product. This is already a client of ours, his name is Bill Morris. He's a nice guy, but a bit of a hardass. I also don't really like taking client calls like this when I'm not working at home, as I feel like everyone can hear me. But he said he was only available today, so I had to make it work."

When Riley took the client call, and started to demo the product and answer questions, it was almost like a new version of her was in front of me. She was extremely professional and put together, and it was like no question could shake her. Her confidence was off the charts.

I can see why she was promoted so fast.

I told her that after the call.

Right when it ended she said, "Thank fucking god that's over. And he wants to get the product."

"Riley, you were amazing." I said to her, "I can totally see why you are a senior account manager."

She smiled, "Thank you. I honestly didn't know the answer to a couple of questions he asked me, so I had to make them up. I'll go back and let him know other information later on."

"I would have never guessed." I said, "You seemed so confident and knowledgeable."

"I try." Riley said, and brushed invisible dirt off her shoulder, "Nah, you just have to fake it til you make it. Which I'm sure you know, being an account manager and all!"

"You're a good example for me to see." I said.

"Awesome." Riley said, and she gave me a quick smile. She then paused before she said, "Hey- after work on Friday, we are going out for happy hour. We do that a lot. You should come, unless you have other plans, of course. Then you can come another time- hopefully. If you want."

"I'll come." I said, "I'd love to. Thanks for the invite."

Riley looked at me and smiled, "Anytime, Jenny. I'll be glad to see you there."

And I'll definitely be glad to see you, too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 40 20
Katie Simmons and her mother, a high school History teacher, have just moved. As Katie is adjusting to her new home and new school, she befriends a c...
223K 7.7K 40
[Ranked #1 In lesbian romance] Riley Wood is a Welsh born 18 year old who has moved to sanfransisco. On her first day of her senior year Miss Scarlet...
17.9K 458 52
Originally published on the archive of our own. . . . PLOT: Ava and Beatrice spent their childhood days together, became close, did activities tog...
205K 6.1K 42
Life has been nothing but rough for 20 year old Alexis Anderson, she has a past filled with secrets ,hurts and betrayal. Moving away from home seem t...