Loving You

By Daisy_09112005

Catherine Shaw, 26, lives in the countryside of England. She has been living with her aunt after the death of... More

Chapter 1 | The Pre-Christmas Ball
Chapter 2 | The New Neighbour
Chapter 3 | Lost Childhood
Chapter 4 | The coming of the soldiers
Chapter 5 | The meeting in Oxyberry
Chapter 6 | The Moonlight
Chapter 7 | Emotions
Chapter 8 | The Lunch and Hard Truths
Chapter 9 | Welcome back
Chapter 10 | If only I could hold you for this night
Chapter 11 | Sparks and Jealousy?
Chapter 12 | Thinking what you are thinking
Chapter 13 | So close yet far away
Chapter 14 | Dresses, ribbons and the sparkle in your eyes
Chapter 15 | Christmas morning
Chapter 16 | The Surprise
Chapter 17 | The Ball- 1
Chapter 19 | The Ball- 3
Chapter 20 | Dilemmas
Chapter 21 | Confronting
Chapter 22 | Facing the past
Chapter 23 | Trouble
Chapter 24 | The escape and the truth
Chapter 25 | Let it go with a kiss
Chapter 26 | A new year like no other
Chapter 27 | The wedding
Chapter 28 | Fake apologies and what not
Chapter 29 | Healing from the past wounds
Chapter 30 | Kidnapped
Chapter 31 | Agony
Chapter 32 | The help and revelations
Chapter 33 | Loving you
Epilogue | Wedding bells and honeymoon
Author's note

Chapter 18 | The Ball-2

89 4 0
By Daisy_09112005

William was waiting in his living room and constantly peeking outside the window. Neither the Dudleys nor Miss Shaw had stepped out of their house. The time for departure was nearing. Him shaking his leg was amplifying his dispondence about the situation. Had he offended her?

He sprung up when he saw the family get out of their house accompanied by the guy, Jack, whom he had met once. He was still unsure about his identity but he didn't mind him as long as he didn't become an obstacle in his way. He searched around but Cathy was not there. He lost control of his body and fell onto the couch he was sitting on. He did not understand the feeling of gloom engulfing him.

The sudden ringing of the bell pulled him back to the reality surrounding him. He carried himself to the door and opened it to reveal Mr Dudley.
"Good evening Mr Benwick," he greeted the young man standing in front of him with a smile.
"Good evening Mr Dudley." The despair on his face was evident.
"Is everything alright?"
William sighed at that question. "I am fine. Just not feeling well."
"Oh, if you are not feeling well, then we can take Cathy with us."
He nodded but the sudden realisation made his eyes pop up. "No no. I am fine. It's just that I have been sitting all day and working."
"Please take care. I was surprised when Cathy told me that you were to escort him." Mr Dudley laughed. "Then she explained that Mrs Gretta had ordered you to bring her to her. I am so happy. She had never been to a ball. Please take care of her. She will be here in a few minutes."
Saying this, he went to join his family.

When he got into the carriage, his angry wife grabbed his hand and expressed her displeasure abt the situation. "Do you trust that man near her? What if they get wrapped in a scandal?"
He laughed. "I trust him even though he's a starnger. And no, it is not because he helped us. It's my consciousness that's telling me that Mr Benwick is a gentleman."
"I had already warned you," she scoffed.
He just laughed. He trusted Cathy. He knew that she wouldn't have proposed to go to the ball with a man if she did not trust him.

Cathy looked at her reflection again. She had been redoing her updo for the past ten minutes. Finally, she decided to give up on it and just go with the braids she had done carefully on herself. She pinned her hair up into a bun and curled those loose locks of hair with her fingers to define them. She topped it off with her green poke bonnet and tied the green ribbon around the rim. She loved the dress. It was the same dress which she had been eyeing earlier at the dress shop. Her cheeks flushed. So, he had noticed her looking at it. She did not even need to apply the red powder on her cheeks because they were already pink in embarrassment. The dress fit her perfectly. It made her feel pretty.
She stood beside the main door. Letting out a sigh, she decided to open it.

William was already standing outside, waiting for her. On hearing the door open, he looked up. And what was standing in front of him was a beauty. It was Cathy! She looked breathtaking in the emerald green dress. She looked as beautiful as rose petals lying on the soft green grass, with the sunlight illuminating the whole scenery. His heart began to beat faster.
Cathy reached towards him. She dared to look up but instantly averted her gaze. Heat rose to her face and neck.
William was looking handsome. She had never seen him with slicked back hair or a shaved face. He looked like one of those young Greek gods. He has a green handkerchief tucked into his coat pocket. Did he purposefully match with her?
Meanwhile he was at a loss of words. She was looking extravagant and gorgeous and the shade of green complimented her perfectly.

He gathered the courage to say something. "Miss Shaw, you look extremely beautiful tonight."
The tenderness in his voice caused her to blush furiously. She started to fiddle with her gloved fingers. "Umm- I am thankful for your kindness Mr Benwick. Thank you." She tried to look at him properly but her eyes didn't have the confidence to do so. "You look handsome yourself," she said softly, almost wanting to be unheard. But those words didn't fail to reach him.

He held out his hand for her. She took it and entered the carriage. He sat opposite to her. She had barely looked at him since they had met. This made him think if he was not looking good. Before he could say anything she looked at him. Those eyes ... he never knew what captivated him. But those eyes never failed to express themselves.

Right now, they were expressing joy. She smiled softly. "No one has ever done anything like this for me."
This statement did not surprise him. He knew her aunt never really cared for her. And she had become an orphan at a very tender age. He could sense the tears welling up in her eyes. If only he could hold her closer and console her. But that would be inappropriate.

"Miss Shaw, I am not doing any favour to you, so do not thank me." He wanted her to feel a little special about it. People could do a favour for anyone, but no one could do what he did for her, for anyone. Even he was not sure why he has some it for her. He did it because it seemed right to him. And one doesn't need a reason to o prove why they are right. They just end up doing it. And he was happy that he had done that.

Suddenly, the carriage bounced, springing her from her seat, thus causing her to end up on top of him. He held her cautiously, so that she didn't hurt herself. The two stares at each other, his hand on her waist and her hands gripping onto his shoulders.
The distance between them was so little that if she moved even a little, then their lips would touch. The two remained still as they started into each other.
Suddenly, it felt like the air between them was becoming thicker. As if, it was pushing them towards each other. He could feel the dips of her waist while she could feel the sturdiness of his broad shoulders. He kept on looking at her soft and plump lips which he had already felt with his fingers back then. He wondered how they would feel against his lips.
The carriage bounced again, causing her to lose control of herself and ends up falling into his embrace. Heat rose up to his stomach as he felt the softness of her breast on his chest. The distance between them had closed. She was laying in his arms, with their bodies in contact.

She was embarrassed. Her face had turned red. She quickly retreated from him and straightened her skirt with her hands. It took her a lot of courage to apologise for it. She was expecting him to become angry, but he said nothing. It was, as if, he was hiding his face from her. She hung her head down, trying to think of what had just happened. She was in the arms of William! Had she ever thought of being in the arms of any man? No, never.

She made sure that such a thing never happened again, and was wary the whole ride. The rest of the ride continued silently.

~

"Yes we were waiting for you." As soon as Gretta saw Cathy, she engulfed her into a hug. "You are looking so pretty. Where did you get this dress from?"

She looked at William for a few seconds before telling her that he was the one who had bought it for her. Gretta looked at him with a look which the two couldn't decipher. "And you are with him, right?"
Cathy nodded to her question. "Well, you are looking extremely beautiful tonight. And, Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas Cathy. Merry Christmas William. Enjoy yourselves. I must find my husband now. I wonder what he's up to." She excused herself from the two.

"I must rejoin with my family," she said as she was looking around the hall.
"Oh, I would like to meet them as well," he said, as he took her hand and made his way towards them.
The whole time, she was looking at their hands. Did he forget about the incident in the carriage? How could he be so calm, confident and composed after it. They found the Dudleys in no time.

"Oh Cathy," exclaimed Mr. Dudley. She bowed in front of him and pulled Henrietta into a hug.
"Cathy, you look so beautiful in this dress. Where did you get it from?" Henrietta couldn't help but ask.
"Well, it was Mr Benwick." She turned towards him and thanked him again.

William was already tired of her thank yous. "If you really want to thank me, then, would you like to dance with me?"
Her flushed face boosted his confidence. She nodded her head gently as d produced her gloved hand to him. He took it carefully and the two walked to the dancefloor.
The musicians were playing a popular ballad. The two performed the waltz gracefully. Their performance caused many heads to turn towards them.

"They must be a couple. They look connected."
"Who is she, she seems new?"
"Isn't that girl with Mr Benwick?"
*Are they courting?"

May had been listening to the gossip carefully. She made her way to the dancefloor to see the matters herself. Her eyes fell on the two and caused her to lose her temper. Her blood was boiling from anger and jealousy. Who's that lass? How dare she take William's hand in hers and dance with him. That too, his first dance of the ball. She had had enough of her.  Was she trying to compete with her. If she was, then she has to make sure that she would lose miserably.

The music stopped allowing her to catch her breath. The two laughed as the next music started to roll and the two continued dancing. This time, the music was slow and gentle. He pulled her by her waist and closed the distance between them.
"Miss Shaw I must tell you that you are an impecable dancer. Where ded you learn to dance like ?"

She blushed at him. "Well when I was a kid, my mother used to teach me the waltz. I might have learnt it from her."
As the music ended, they were interrupted by May.

She clapped at their performance. "Wow! I never knew that you could dance so well William."
"Eh, it's just that Miss Shaw is a good partner to dance with."
She glared at her. Cathy smiled at her nervously. "Merry Christmas Miss May," she said gently.
"Merry Christmas," she replied, her voice loathing with anger. She turned around and put up a fake smile for William. "I hope you won't mind having a dance with me."

William looked at Cathy who was looking down at her feet and wincing. He noticed that her shoes were tied tightly to her leg. "Umn, my legs are cramped from dancing, especially due to the waltz. I'll dance later."
May's eyes followed silently as he went towards that poor girl's way.

She clenched her fist. How dearly he wanted to knock the living daylights of someone. It's wa her fault. Yes, she was to blame. And why did he buy such a costly dress for her? Gretta had given her that piece of information. What made her lose her mind was the fact that he was that ugly girl's partner. Why would he do that to her. Afterall, she was the one to have fallen for him before that village girl.

Cathy was standing and tying her laces.
"Here, let me losen it for you." She almost jumped at the sudden appearance of the voice.
Before she could protest, he was already on his knees, untying and tying her shoe. She didn't know how to comprehend the situation. The two stacked at the empty corner of the hall, away from the mainstream, with him on his knees, tying her shoe. He has shown too much of his kindness.

"Could I think of your kindness as something else?" She said it softly. Yes, it can't only be kindness. There has to be more to it.
He got up and rubbed his hands on his coat. He looked like he had achieved something. "I think that you should take a break from dancing. I'll meet with James."

She nodded and saw the figure of William receding into the crowd. She smiled like a kid. The hall was gigantic. People of all places from the town were gathered, everyone, talking, dancing, and singing to their hearts content.

"Good evening pretty lady."
The voice belonged to a man clad in a black suite and a white cravart. His head was covered by his black hat and he had a glass of wine in his right hand. He looked pretty good. She had never seen him.
"Umm, good morning."
"I know it is quite strange to be greeted by someone whom you don't know." He took a sip from the glass. "I am Henry White, the great businessman in the upper town. Saw you dancing. I love your waltz. Care to dance?"

"Well, I would have accepted your offer but my legs don't have the energy to carry me and I won't be able to dance."
He frowned but smiled almost immediately. "Well that's unfortunate, Miss-"
"Catherine Shaw," she replied.
"Yes, Miss Catherine. So, as I was saying, thats quite unfortunate that I cannot get to dance with a beauty like you."
"But, we can surely talk," she suggested.
"That's what we are already doing. Well, want some drinks?"
She declined his offer. "I don't drink."
"Oh, I am sorry. Well, I saw you dancing with William."
This caused her face to flush again. "Yes, I was dancing with him."
"Well, are you both courting each other?"

She paused for a moment. Is that what they were thinking? If so, then she should dismiss such a rumour as soon as possible. "Umm, no we are not."
"Oh, thanks for your clarification. But, I am amazed. Usually, he never dances at the balls."
Who was this man. It is as if he had known him for quite a long time. "Would you mind staying your relation with Mr Benwick?"
"Oh, I am sorry. I am his friend. I have known him for the past twelve years of my life."
"Oh, it's a pleasure to meet you."
"Likewise," she replied, as she bowed down.
"Well, thats quite unlikely. He must have an eye for you." He winked at her causing her to stumble for words.
"Uhh-"
"Happens. All the best." With that, he disappeared into the crowd.

Who was this man and what was he even trying to imply? Should she really consider herself special? She went to the corner and leaned onto a pillar for support. The only thing floating in her mind was him and the moments they have shared till now. The way his hands always fit perfectly on her waist, or how gently he held her face, or how carefully he would observe her, or how he would leave everything just to meet her... was she allowed to consider herself special. The unconscious smile forming on her face said it all. In the absence of her consciousness, she did like him. If not a lot, then just a little bit... a little bit more than friends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.6K 931 18
What happens when you put two people who don't want to be together in a week-long country house party? Adelaide Kendall has hated Philip Wyndham far...
445K 26.5K 60
[The Inconvenient Matches series is comprised entirely of stand alone novels that can be read in any order] Forced into marriage by duty and obligati...
507K 22.3K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...
99.4K 4.1K 15
He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce an heir. Giving up being a rake will be...