All's Fair in Love and Las Ve...

By fallen_golden_rose

COMPLETED: Waking up next to a stranger is one thing. Discovering you're married to him is entirely another... More

Description
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Intermission-Clay
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Ninety-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Ninety-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Chapter One Hundred
Chapter One Hundred And One
Chapter One Hundred and Two
Chapter One Hundred And Three
Chapter One Hundred And Four
Chapter One Hundred And Five
Epilogue
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter: The Engagement (Clay)
Bonus Chapter: White Christmas (Jackie)
Bonus Chapter: Story Time (Clay)

Chapter Twenty-Nine (Jackie)

111 1 0
By fallen_golden_rose

        "That was gross," Grayson said, looking down at his plate with a green face.

        "Come on, you have to admit they're adorable," I laughed, in a great mood.

        "Yeah. You also have to admit they're disgusting," he argued.

        "Fair. I'm going to say hi to her now that he's gone," I said, standing. 

        Kylie was delighted to see me, and even more delighted to see that I had Grayson with me. There was no mention of Clay, or the kiss, and I suspected she would want to keep it that way for awhile. But her mood quickly crashed when she discovered that we were only in town for a few hours.

        "Bummer. By the way, I forgot to tell you, Nina and I have been housesitting," she told me. 

        This was news. "You didn't have to," I said feeling bad.

        She brushed me off. "It's not like it's hard. We water your plants. We threw out the bad milk in the fridge. We threw out the green bagels."

        "Eww," Grayson said feebly. 

        "Uh, don't say ew, boy. You're the one who yanked her out of her house," she scoffed.

        For a second he looked stricken before she burst into laughter. "I'm messing with you. So you guys are moving out of Laura's place?"

        "Yeah. I'm excited," he said eagerly.

        She shot me a significant look before asking, "So, what's that going to be like? Just the two of you on your own?" 

        Choosing to mess with her in return, I gushed, "I'm just excited not to have a roommate. Grayson's a pretty good one, of course, but I mean, my own bedroom and bathroom? Not having half a bed? I can't wait."

        Kylie was heartbroken. "That's...nice, I guess," she mumbled, crestfallen. "Anyways, what can I get you guys to eat?" 

        Grayson and I ordered burgers and ate quickly, hoping to get out of the country before dinner (because we're dramatic like that). Kylie gave us both huge hugs and wished us a good flight before we got back in the car.

        "So what's your house like?" Grayson asked as I exited the freeway.

        I hesitated. "It's nice." 

        "But?"

        "You won't like it," I said sheepishly.

        He was confused. "Why not?"

        "It's just kind of boring," I mumbled. "Here, on the right." 

        I pulled into the driveway and parked, getting out with a wave of nostalgia. My house looked exactly the same, with the shrubs trimmed neatly and the lawn mowed. The shutters were still painted bright red. The gold 3245 was still attached to the siding.

        "It's so cute!" Grayson said, grinning as he got out and shut his door.

        "Thanks," I said, digging out my house keys and unlocking the front door. Kylie and Nina had taken care of the place well. My plants were thriving and my mail was organized in a huge folder on the counter. They had dusted too, making the place feel very lived in.

        "I love your house, Jackie," Grayson said, looking around...was that wistfulness? For a brief moment, I wondered if he wanted a cute house of his own. No mansion to share with Laura, no private penthouse sixty stories in the air. Just a cute little two story house with a sidewalk and mailbox and one-car garage.

        "Thank you. Unfortunately I'm not here much," I said grimly, quickly skimming through the mail.

        "Working?" he guessed. 

        I sighed. "Yep. Hence why it doesn't feel very Jackie-like."

        "That's okay. Maybe someday you can decorate more," he said optimistically.

        I gave him a sad smile. "I hope so. Anyways, give me like ten minutes to pack and we can head to the cemetery."

        "No, take your time," Grayson said, his smile melting. "You haven't been here in a while; it's okay if you want to stay for a bit."

        "Um, thanks," I said, surprised. Grayson was sweet, of course, but still. I didn't think I needed an experience of visiting my own house.

        "Need any help getting anything?" he asked.

        "Actually yeah, could you help me dig out my suitcase?" I asked sheepishly.

        He nodded and followed me upstairs. I pushed open the door and he smirked. "Your room huh?"

        "Are you going to help or not?" I snapped, feeling my face get hot. 

        "Sorry, sorry. In your closet?" he asked. I nodded and began rummaging through my drawers.

        All was well until I heard him say, "Oooh, Jackie, any chance I could get you to wear this?" I turned to see him holding up a tiny silver dress.

        "Kylie bought that for me. No," I said shortly. 

        He wiggled his eyebrows. "You sure? I really think it'd compliment your—"

        "Okay, go downstairs, I can pack by myself," I said, not wanting to know how that sentence ended.

        "I'm taking this with us," Grayson said, smirking as he sashayed away. I glared in his wake, wondering how I'd be able to burn the offending dress. 

       I stuffed a suitcase full of clothes and memorabilia, along with some important documents that I hadn't had with me. I also packed some pictures and my vitamins, then I was awkwardly done.

        Heading downstairs, I discovered Grayson with his head in the freezer. "Are you eating my ice cream?" I asked loudly.

        His body went rigid. "No?" 

        I sighed and took the tub from his hands, along with the spoon. "It's probably expired or something," I reminded him.

        "Fun. Are we all set?" he asked, grabbing the cursed dress off the counter.

        I gave him a look. "We're not bringing that." 

        "Yes we are," he said, his eyes gleaming.

        "No we're not."

        "Yes we are."

        "No we're not."

        "Yes we are!"

        "UGH!" I clamped my hands down over my ears and grabbed my suitcase. "I'm going. You can come with me or stay here." 

        "You can't get in the apartment without the security code which I haven't told you yet," he reminded me.

        I blew out a stream of air. "Okay, then...I'll..." 

        "Move back in with my mother?" he asked pityingly, knowing he'd won. "Or move in here, where apparently I'm supposed to stay?"

        "We're not bringing the dress," I said curtly.

        Grinning, Grayson folded up the dress impossibly tight and stuffed it in his pocket. It only proved how tiny the dress was and how unfairly huge his pockets were. He waved his empty hands in the air and said, "All gone." 

        "You're despicable," I grunted, taking the handle of my suitcase and rolling it through the house. I stopped before heading out to the car, right by the wall.

        "Is that Kylie, Nina, and you?" Grayson asked, walking up behind me.

        My throat closed up. "Yeah. Fifth grade graduation," I said quietly.

        "You guys are cute," he said, smiling.

        I nodded, remembering how innocent and carefree the three of us had been that year. Kylie, being the prettiest, had received a note from a boy that she didn't like. We'd burned it in the fire pit outside and her mother had yelled at us for starting a fire unsupervised. That was as far as our boy troubles went.

        Now look at us.

        Married—unknowingly.

        Falling for an eighteen year old—who was known to be a ladies' man.

        Nina was fine. 

        Nina was fine.

        With shaking hands, I took the framed picture off the wall and stuffed it in my purse. I'd want that for later. Honestly, with the way things were going, I didn't know if I'd ever come back here. Laura could have a change of heart and throw Grayson, Clay, and I into the private dungeon she most definitely had. That was actually pretty likely by now. I don't think she likes any of us.

        "You look cute in braids," Grayson said.

        I tried snorting, but it came out more like a choked sob. "Yeah, um, I stopped wearing them in seventh grade when boys at lunch would walk by and pull them."

        "That sucks," he said bluntly.

        "It does," I said quietly. I missed being so young, even the bad parts like bullies. Blinking back tears, I drew in a deep breath and said, "I'm ready. Let's go."

        On to Toronto—after one more stop. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.3K 50 2
HIGHEST RANKING: #1 DarknessAndLight #1 DeathAndLife #1 Must read TROPES: SLOW-BURN, MAFIA ROMANCE, ARRANGED-MARRIAGE, FORCED PROXIMITY, GROVELLING *...
1M 53.9K 48
21+ He is a youngest business typhoon, a billionaire. One of the Supreme powers of the country. No one dares to say no to him. A man loved by many bu...
3.8M 72K 44
COMPLETED✅ Arturo Vasquez -Head of Spanish mafia- was planning on accepting the proposal of Russian mafia leader Ivan Volkov's for his daughter, Aiya...
4.5M 157K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...