Love On The Brain

By SerityPsychic21

Smart Matilda Jiang had just switched high schools from Boise to Idaho City. There in Preston High School, sh... More

Chapter 1: Simple But Not
Chapter 2: Mean Cheerleaders
Chapter 3: Ugly Duckling
Chapter 4: Geniuses
Chapter 6: When You Love Someone
Chapter 7: Aunt's House
Chapter 8: Imagination
Chapter 9: The Dream
Chapter 10: Exam Bet
Chapter 11: Bond With You
Chapter 12: Special Day
Chapter 13: His Confession
Chapter 14: Unspoken Connection
Chapter 15: Date In His House
Chapter 16: Unreciprocated
Chapter 17: Kidnapped
Chapter 18: Love Right Where We Are (Final)

Chapter 5: Defender

22 7 2
By SerityPsychic21

While Matilda was waiting for the ice cream workers to get her ice cream prepared in a large cup, Greg got up from his seat and approached her from behind. He found an opportunity to take advantage of her.

Greg: Matilda! Do you remember me? It's Greg from primary school...

Matilda slowly turned around and nervously faced him.

Greg: Would you care to do me a favor and pay me a large mango ice cream?

Matilda: And why would I do that? You should pay for yourself!

Greg: No, you should be more generous to your childhood crush, Matilda.

Greg: After all, we were friends, right?

Greg: If you pay for me, I'll be your boyfriend.

Clerk: She heard this and said. That'll be another $6.

Matilda had no choice, but to pay again. She turned to Greg, seething with anger.

Matilda: I hated the way you made me pay for you. It wasn't my decision...

Greg: I don't care. I'm not obliged to be nice to an ugly duckling.

Greg: You still paid regardless, so of course it's your decision.

Matilda: You're unbelievable, Greg!

She ran out of the ice cream parlor without the clerk noticing.

Clerk: We have two cups of mixed berry & mango ice cream ready.

Greg: Perfect! I'll give the mixed berry ice cream to my friends to share.

He brought both scoops of ice cream to his friends table and they all laughed at how stupid Matilda was.

Friend #1: Dude, you got her so good! She didn't even put up a fight!

Friend #2: That was so funny...Sheesh, she's very dumb to pay you without asking for anything in return.

After Greg ate a bit of his cream, he went outside to smoke.

Patrick: He said to himself. That sh*tty bastard! He just dug his own grave.

Patrick: Towards Isaac. I'm gonna head outside real quick. I got something "great" to take care of.

He got up and slowly followed Greg. He made the jerk trip and smacked his chest real hard after headbutting him.

Greg: A-a-ahh...Asshole, what's your problem? He struggled to speak as he lay on the ground.

Patrick: He bent down and grabbed Greg's shirt. I should be asking you the same question!

Patrick: Better pay that girl back or else I'll beat you so badly that even the hospital can't save you!

Patrick: You had no right to make her pay for you, asshole!

Greg's friends shortly came out and confronted Patrick.

Friend #1: Get off of your friend! How dare you kick him for nothing?!

Isaac: He came out to defend Patrick. Your sh*tty friend deserved it. He's nothing but pathetic!

Isaac: You heard what he said. We're not letting you go unless you do what he says...

Friend #2: Wanna fight with us, jerks?

Isaac: He held up his fists. Bring it on, then!

Greg: I give up! I'll pay back...

Greg had no choice, but to give into Patrick's demands. Meanwhile, Matilda was trying to head home but all of a sudden the rain was pouring down from the sky. Her clothes got wet and she could hardly see where she was going because her glasses got soaked. She ran on the sidewalks to go home, but she fell flat on her face.

Matilda: She said to herself. Ugh, why am I so unlucky?

Matilda: On the inside. I get picked on by guys every time I'm out by myself.

She looked closer and saw a bench to sit right under a giant palm tree. She waited until the rain died down, but she was already crying a little.

Matilda: On the inside. By all means, screw it. Only positive thing about the rain is that no one can see me cry about my hopeless life.

Soon after, Patrick spotted her carrying an umbrella. He felt very sad seeing her cry and he held the umbrella close up to her.

Patrick: Matilda, don't cry. I have an umbrella for you...

Patrick: I'm so sorry for the way that guy treated you. He had no right to do what he did.

Patrick: You're not an ugly duckling, he is a shameless ugly bastard.

Matilda: Huh, you were at the ice cream parlor too?

Patrick: Yeah, I was. I beat up his ass the minute he left outside for a smoke.

Patrick: Who was he again?

Matilda: He was someone whom I thought liked me in 5th grade, but it turned out to be a prank set up by him and his friends.

Matilda: Since that day, I stopped talking to guys...

Patrick: But you haven't stopped talking to me. I hope I don't make you insecure like them.

Patrick: Anyways, you ordered an ice cream earlier didn't you?

Patrick: Too bad the parlor closed right after I left to find you. But I know a café that's still opened for everyone.

Patrick: Follow me! I got your money back from the guy. He extended his hand for her and she took him by the hand.

They both walked together until they were at Blue Bottle Café. Matilda ordered a strawberry smoothie drink and a lemon tart with berries decorated on top.

Patrick: Do you like the sweets here?

Matilda: Yes, I do. I feel better thanks to you.

Patrick: If you're worried about paying, don't be. I'll pay for you instead.

Patrick: Don't want you to spend anymore money.

Matilda: I still wanted to thank you for defending me from Greg. You made my bad day into something good.

Patrick: So what grade are you in?

Matilda: Grade 12...A senior.

Patrick: He was surprised. Thought you'd be a freshman or sophomore since you look much younger than your age.

Patrick: He teased. And for a shortie too haha.

Matilda: She laughed a bit. What? Do you really think so?

Matilda: To be honest, I thought you'd looked like the type of guy that would roast girls like me with your badass look.

Patrick: Badass? I've never been told that.

Patrick: I never roasted any girl honestly.

At 5pm, Patrick walked Matilda home and handed her his umbrella.

Patrick: Here, take this. So you won't get wet anymore.

Matilda: What about you, Patrick? You're gonna catch a cold!

Patrick: Don't mind about me...You need it more than me!

Once she entered the front porch of her house, loitered around for a few seconds.

Matilda: On the inside. How do I even begin to explain myself?

Patrick's house was right down the road and when he walked inside the front door, his mom noticed he didn't have his umbrella.

Patrick's mom: Patrick! Why don't you have your umbrella with you?

Patrick: I gave it to a girl...She was freezing and soaking wet.

Patrick's mom: What kind of girl is she? Never heard you talk about any girl.

Patrick: She's the new girl in school and a classmate of mine...

Patrick: After a while, he said. Hey mom...Do you still miss dad?

Patrick's mom: I don't know if your dad's coming back. It's been 7 years already...

Patrick's mom: I haven't heard from him at all. But sometimes, I wish he came back so we can fix our broken bond.

Patrick: I know you still have feelings for him...But I'm going to bed.

Patrick: Good night, mom!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 195 44
Emilia Thomas moved to London to start a new life with her family, and to get away from her troubled past. There she starts her school hoping that he...
175K 4.3K 48
What happens when at Gracetown high, a Greek God Math teacher joins, and then tortures poor Emerald? Emerald and Jacob, get together in their awesome...
258 6 21
Isabella is a normal girl from California and studies at the starlake high. She is 17 years old and isn't really popular in her class. Her bestfriend...
12 5 6
Alyssa's desire to fit in with the popular crowd at school is making her more unhappy than she realised. Is a tall handsome hostile dark haired boy a...