HP โ€ข ๐‡๐จ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐๐ฅ๐š๐œ...

By ladyvetra

Cassiopeia Pandora Gaunt Black, a young pure-blood witch, sets off on a journey at Hogwarts School of Witchcr... More

Arrival at Hogwarts
First Classes, Beginning of Friendships
Potions class and flying lesson
โš ๏ธImportant Noteโš ๏ธ
Halloween Night
Quidditch game and Gaunt Manor
Nicholas Flamel and Detention
The philosophical Stone
Diagon Alley and Narcissa Malfoy
Second year
Heartbroken
Quidditch Game
Polyjuice
Saving friends
Sirius Black
Third year
Draco - The Drama Queen
A little secret?
Hogsmeade , Narcissa and Sirius Black
Animagus Family
Christmas Dinner
Fucking Malfoys
Pettigrew
Saving Family
โš ๏ธImportant Note โš ๏ธ
Quidditch World Cup
The Dark Mark
Forth Year
Unforgivable Curses
Ferret Malfoy and The champions Selection
Potter Stinks
In love with Granger?
Perfect Partner
Yule Ball
Final Tasks
12 Grimmauld place
Family
Andromeda
Fifth year
Narcissus Parfum
Dumbledore Army
Wesley is our King
Malfoy Manor
Promises Promises
Thoughts
Blood Connection
Malfoy Ball
EXPECTO PATRONUM
D.A.
Breaking Down
Dammit, Potter
Prophecy
Trapped
Godfather
Unbreakable Vow
Black Sisters
Commitment Ring
Sixth year
Gryffindor honor
Granger?
Cissa
Wasn't me.
Three possibilities
APPARITION CLASSES
Memories
I have no choice
Death Eater
The Seven Potters
I'm a Black.
Ceremony
The truth
Bella
Ministry
Devastating Shadow
The Savior Princess
A chance
Crucio
Teddy
The Lightning Struck At Hogwarts
Go
Dead
Final Battle
Sunshine
A second war would begin
Time goes by so quickly

Felix Felicis

2K 139 24
By ladyvetra

At breakfast, Cassi received a letter from Narcissa wishing her good luck. The parchment was delicately scented with the fragrance of the older woman, and Cassiopeia couldn't help but wear a silly smile that lingered on her face for several minutes.

After the meal, she remained seated, waiting for Minerva to descend from the teachers' table. The scheduling of classes this year was more complex than usual, as it was necessary to confirm that each student had achieved the minimum grades in their O.W.L.s to proceed with the chosen subjects for N.E.W.T.s.

Cassiopeia was promptly cleared to continue studying Charms, Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Herbology, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, and Potions without delay. Minerva handed her a warm smile as she gave her the white booklet with the details of the new subjects, murmuring how proud she was.

"Oh, yes, ten aspirants have already signed up for the Slytherin Quidditch team. Snape will hand you the list in the next few days, and you can schedule the tryouts whenever you wish," she sighed, appearing nervous.

"Scared of losing the cup once again, Aunt Minnie?" Cassi teased, amused, receiving a stern look from her godmother.

"Ha ha ha," Minerva pretended to laugh as she walked away.

Cassi let out a loud laugh as she dashed off to attend the first period of Ancient Runes and Arithmancy.

(...)

In the Defense Against the Dark Arts class, "Are you trying out for the team?" Cassi asked Draco as they sat down.

"I don't think so, Cassie. I'm not in the mood for it," he muttered, upset.

"Hey," she called, holding his hand. "You're not alone, remember?" she assured, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

Draco gave her a faint smile before focusing on his books and widening his eyes.

A pile of heavy books was next to her on the table. "Oh, yes... The Ancient Runes professor assigned us an abundance of tasks. A project that's almost four feet long, two translations, and I need to read all of this by Wednesday," Cassi commented.

"Wow, Cassie," exclaimed Draco, looking at the books.

"I can handle it," she smiled nervously, glancing at Snape, who had just entered the room.

"Finally, professor," Cassi clapped with joy, and Draco whistled next to her.

Snape gave them a smile that quickly vanished when Hermione entered the room. He assumed a serious posture.

"Thank you both," he said softly as he adjusted his sleeves.

The room was darker than before as Snape closed the curtains and illuminated it with candles. New paintings adorned the walls, many of them showing people suffering from terrible injuries or strangely distorted body parts. No one spoke as the students settled in, admiring the dark and eerie paintings.

"I didn't ask you to bring your books," Snape began, closing the door and turning to face the class from his desk.

"I want to talk to you all, and I demand total and absolute attention," his black eyes scanned the faces turned towards him.

"I believe you've had five professors in this subject. Naturally, each one had their method and priorities. Given this confusion, it's surprising that so many have passed in this subject, and it will be even more surprising if you all can handle the N.E.W.T. tasks, which will be much more complex." Snape began walking around the room, speaking now in a lower voice, making the students stretch their necks to try and see him.

"The Dark Arts are very varied, unstable, and eternal. Combating these arts is like facing a monster with many heads, where every time we cut off one head, another one emerges even more fierce and clever than the previous one. You are fighting something that is unstable, changeable, and indestructible," Snape said, raising his voice. "Therefore, your defenses need to be flexible and inventive, just like the Arts you want to neutralize," he continued, pointing to the paintings that decorated the room.

"These paintings are a good representation of what happens to those who, for example, suffer the Cruciatus Curse," Snape said, gesturing towards a witch visibly writhing in pain. "Feel the Dementor's kiss," he pointed to a wizard with glazed eyes huddled against the wall. "Or provoke the aggression of an Inferius," referring to a bloody mass on the floor.

"Has anyone spotted an Inferius?" asked Parvati Patil with a high-pitched voice. "So it's official, he's using Inferi?"

"The Dark Lord has used Inferi in the past," Snape replied. "This means it would be wise to assume he might use them again. Now..." he began walking to the other side of the room towards his desk, his dark robes billowing with each step, and the class followed him with their eyes.

"... I believe you are all completely new to using nonverbal spells. What is the advantage of a nonverbal spell?" Snape asked.

Cassiopeia's hand shot up in the air, followed by Hermione's. Snape didn't even glance at Hermione before favoring Slytherin, as always. "Very well... Gaunt?" Snape called.

"The opponent cannot predict what type of spell the person will perform," she answered calmly.

"Perfectly said, 10 points to Slytherin," muttered Snape, and Draco celebrated next to her. "Yes, those who master and learn to use magic without uttering the incantations have the element of surprise in their art. Not all wizards can do this, of course, it's a matter of concentration and mental power that some... do not possess."

"Now you will pair up. One partner will try to cast a spell on the other without speaking, and the other will try to repel the spell in equal silence. Begin," Snape ordered.

Although Snape didn't know, in the previous year Cassiopeia taught at least half of the students (those who participated in the DA) to perform wandless spells. However, none of them had been able to do the spell without speaking. There was a good amount of stalling, with many students simply muttering the incantation instead of saying it aloud.

Cassiopeia managed to repel Pansy's Jelly-Legs Jinx without uttering a single word. This earned another 20 points for Slytherin. "Well done, Gaunt," Snape said softly as he walked around the room.

A few minutes later, Snape stopped next to Harry. "Pathetic, Weasley," Snape commented after a while. "Let me show you." Snape quickly turned his wand towards Harry, but that seemed to startle him, and he shouted, "Protego!" His Shield Charm was so strong that the professor stumbled and hit a desk.

The whole class turned their heads and watched Snape rise with a stern face. "You remember I told you to practice nonverbal spells, Potter," Snape said.

"Yes," Harry replied firmly.

"Yes, sir," Snape growled.

"No need to call me 'sir,' professor," Harry retorted quickly.

Several students gasped, including Hermione. However, Ron, Seamus, and Cassi laughed discreetly.

"Detention, Saturday night, in my office," Snape said. "I won't tolerate impertinence from anyone, Potter... not even from the Chosen One."

Of course, Harry managed to get detention on the first blood day. Cassiopeia rolled her eyes exasperatedly

(...)

Cassi observed the students' interactions closely as they followed her through the corridors. She had to reprimand several students who hurriedly ran up to ask about the Quidditch team tryouts. She planned to hold the tryouts on the weekend but needed to confirm with Snape.

In Potions class, most of the students were from Slytherin, with four representatives from Ravenclaw and only one from Hufflepuff, Ernest Macmillan. Harry, Ron, and Hermione represented Gryffindor.

The dungeon door opened, and Slughorn's belly preceded him into the corridor, his wide smile greeting Harry, Cassi, and Blaze with particular enthusiasm. The dungeon was, like never before, filled with vapors and strange smells.

In Slytherin, Cassiopeia, Blaze, Draco, Nott, and Pansy occupied a table alone. The same happened with the other groups, splitting into their respective houses, except for Hufflepuff, who joined Ravenclaw.

On the table, there was a golden cauldron emitting a wonderful aroma. Cassiopeia recognized Narcissa's scent, a light touch of cherry tea and chocolate, which instantly made her smile. Could it be Amortentia?

But then the scent subtly changed. Honey cake, jasmine, and coffee... Andromeda.

Her eyes widened, and she leaned closer to the cauldron. There was one more combination.

Something dark and woody, a faint touch of old books and... Black Orchids.

She had smelled this before.

No, no, no, no...

Cassi thought in denial.

Bellatrix.

How was that possible? How...

Before Cassiopeia could have an aneurysm, the professor spoke, "Well, very well." Slughorn began, his massive silhouette flickering amid the various vapors.

"Get your scales and potion kits and don't forget the Advanced Potion-Making textbook..."

"Sir," Harry raised his hand.

"Harry, my boy?"

"We don't have the book, scales, or anything... Ron doesn't either... we didn't know we'd be able to take N.E.W.T.s, you see..."

"Ah, yes, Professor McGonagall told me about it... Don't worry, my dear boy. Use the ingredients from the cupboard today, and I'm sure we can lend you a scale. We have a stock of used books that will do until you can write to Flourish and Blotts..." Slughorn reassured.

The professor went to a cupboard in the corner of the room and returned moments later with two heavily worn copies of "Advanced Potion-Making" by Libatius Borage, handing one to Harry and the other to Ron, along with two rusty scales.

"Well, very well," said Slughorn, returning to the front of the class and puffing out his already ample chest, nearly popping the buttons on his waistcoat.

"I've prepared some potions for you to observe, purely for the interest they hold, understand? These are the kind of things you'll be expected to do by the end of your N.E.W.T.s. You may have heard of some of them, even if you don't know how to brew them. Can anyone tell me what this one is?"

The professor pointed to the cauldron closest to the Slytherin table. It appeared to be clear boiling water.

Cassi raised her hand before anyone else, and Slughorn pointed to her.

"It's Veritaserum, a potion with no color or odor... It compels the person who drinks it to tell the truth."

"Very well, very well!" praised the professor, delighted.

"Now..." Continued, pointing to the cauldron nearest to the Ravenclaw table.
"This one is well-known... and has also appeared in some Ministry pamphlets lately... who knows...?"
Hermione's hand was the quickest to rise.

"It's Polyjuice Potion, sir."

"Excellent, excellent! Now, this other one... yes, my dear?" Slughorn interrupted himself, looking slightly dazed as he saw both Cassiopeia and Hermione raising their hands at the same time. Hermione nodded her head to Cassi with a smile.

"It's Amortentia," Cassiopeia said, smiling at her friend gratefully.

"Indeed. It almost seems foolish to ask," the professor commented, very impressed. "But I presume you know what effect it produces, don't you?"

This time, Hermione spoke up, blushing furiously. "It's the most powerful love potion in the world," she said calmly.

The professor looked between the two, looking very bewildered. "Correct! And I assume you recognized it by its pearly glow?"

"And the spiraling steam rising from it. But, truthfully, it was the familiar scent that caught my attention," Cassiopeia responded excitedly.

"They say it has a different smell for each of us, depending on what attracts us the most," Hermione added as she approached the cauldron. "A scent of jasmine and parchment and..." But she blushed slightly and didn't finish her sentence.

"May I know your name, my dear?" Slughorn asked, not paying attention to Hermione's embarrassment.

"Hermione Granger, sir," she replied.

"Granger? Granger? Could you be related to Hector Dagworth Granger, who founded the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers?" Slughorn inquired.

"No. I don't think so, sir. I was born a Muggle, you see," Hermione explained.

Draco leaned towards Nott and began saying something offensive, but before he could finish his sentence, Cassiopeia pinched him so hard that Draco let out a high-pitched, feminine yelp, drawing everyone's attention to him.

Blushing furiously, he tried to disguise his embarrassment as Cassi laughed silently.

Slughorn didn't seem disappointed by Hermione being a Muggle-born; on the contrary, he opened a wide smile and looked from Hermione to Harry, who was sitting next to her.

"I presume this is the friend you told me about, Harry! The best student in Gryffindor," Slughorn exclaimed.

"Yes, sir," replied Harry.

"Well done, very well done! Twenty well-deserved points for Gryffindor, Miss Granger!" Slughorn cordially awarded the points.

"As for you, Miss Gaunt, twenty points to Slytherin! Noctua taught you very well; she must be very proud," Slughed added with a broad smile.

"Thank you, professor," Cassi smiled cordially.

"The Amortentia, in reality, doesn't create love, of course. It's impossible to produce or imitate love. No, the potion only causes a strong infatuation or obsession. It's probably the most powerful and dangerous potion in this room," Slughorn explained.

"Ah, yes," Cassi nodded solemnly, glancing at Draco and Nott, who were laughing incredulously.

"When you've seen as much of life as I have, you won't underestimate the power of obsessive love," Slughorn continued.

Cassi agreed with a nod. Indeed, people underestimated this kind of magic.

"And now, it's time to get to work."

"Professor, you didn't tell us what's in this one," reminded Ernesto Macmillan, pointing to a small black cauldron on Slughorn's table. The potion was splashing vigorously, golden-colored like melted gold, and enormous drops leaped like little fish to the surface, though not a single particle spilled.

Felix Felicis.

Cassi had already helped her mother prepare it.

"Oho!" exclamou novamente o professor. Cassi was certain that the professor hadn't forgotten about the potion, but he waited for someone to ask to create a theatrical effect.

Drama Queen.

"That one. Well, that one, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion called Felix Felicis. I suppose..." And he turned, smiling, looking between Cassi and Hermione.

"That you, Miss Granger, know what Felix Felicis does?" Hermione gave voice to the question.

"Liquid luck," replied Hermione enthusiastically. "It makes a person lucky!"

The whole class seemed to sit up straighter. Draco suddenly appeared very hopeful.

"Correct, ten more points to Gryffindor. Felix Felicis is a funny little potion," explained Slughorn.

"Do you know the reason, Miss Gaunt?"

"It's very difficult to make and catastrophic if we get it wrong. However, if we prepare it correctly... it brings excellent results, at least until the effect wears off."

"Excellent! 10 points to Slytherin," Slughorn said cheerfully.

"Why don't people drink it all the time, sir?" Terence asked eagerly.

"Because if ingested in excess, it causes dizziness, recklessness, and dangerously excessive confidence. Anything that is too good, you know... is extremely toxic in large quantities. But taken with moderation and very occasionally..."

"Have you ever tried it?" Miguel Corner asked, very interested.

"Twice in my life. Once at the age of twenty-four and once at the age of fifty-seven. Two tablespoons for breakfast. Two perfect days," Slughorn said dreamily, his gaze drifting into the distance.

"And the potion," Slughorn said, apparently coming back to reality, "is what I will offer as a prize in this class."

There was a great silence, in which every bubble and gurgle of the potions in the room seemed to multiply tenfold.

"A tiny bottle of Felix Felicis," explained Slughorn, taking a tiny glass vial with a cork from his pocket and showing it to everyone.

"Enough for twelve hours of luck. From dawn to dusk, you will be lucky in everything you attempt. Now, I must warn you that Felix Felicis is a prohibited substance in official competitions, sporting events, exams, and elections, for example. So, whoever wins it must use it only on an ordinary day... and observe how that ordinary day becomes an extraordinary one!"

"So," the professor suddenly became energetic, "how will you win this fabulous prize? Well, by turning to page ten of Advanced Potion-Making. We still have a little over an hour, which should be enough for you to make a valid attempt at preparing the Draught of Living Death. I know it's more complex than any other potion you've tried before, and I don't expect anyone to make a perfect potion. But whoever makes the best one will win the little Felix here. You may begin!"

Cassiopeia opened the book merely out of formality. She had prepared the potion with Noctua in her second year.

There was a lot of noise as students dragged objects and pulled their cauldrons closer, and sharp clanging as they added weights to the scales, but nobody spoke.

The concentration in the room was almost tangible.

Draco was feverishly flipping through his copy of Advanced Potion-Making. It couldn't have been more evident that he truly desired to win that lucky day.

Cassi sighed, already knowing the reason, and found herself in an internal struggle. She stood up to gather the ingredients and when she returned to her cauldron, she saw Draco hastily chopping valerian roots.

"Hey, no, no, no," she scolded, holding his hand to stop him. "You can't mash the Valerian root like that." She took her own root and demonstrated the proper way to prepare it, and Draco tried to mimic her.

Everyone glanced around to see what the rest of the class was doing. This was both an advantage and a disadvantage in Potions class: the difficulty of working alone.

In ten minutes, a bluish smoke filled the entire room. Cassi carefully observed her potion; it appeared smooth with a vibrant purple color, indicating it was at the right stage. She then took her Sopophorous bean and mashed it with the flat side of the silver dagger instead of cutting it, as the book suggested. Her potion instantly turned a light lilac.

Draco looked at her as if she were insane while attempting to cut the bean.

"Professor, I believe you knew my grandfather, Abraxas Malfoy," Draco mentioned as Slughorn passed by the Slytherin table.

"I did," confirmed the professor, without looking at Draco, as he paid attention to Cassi's cauldron. "I was saddened when I heard of his passing, although it wasn't unexpected, dragon pox at his age..."

Draco seemed disappointed.

The professor stopped beside Cassi, observing her closely. He probably noticed that she wasn't following the book's instructions.

"You remind me a lot of your mother, Mrs. Gaunt," he remarked, raising an eyebrow.

"Eidetic memory?" he inquired, looking quite excited.

Some eyes stared at her. Cassi raised her head and looked at the professor.

"Yes..." she replied, surprised. How does he know?

"Ah, yes... It seems to be a talent among some descendants of Cadmus Peverell," he commented. "Your mother also showed no difficulty."

"Are you a descendant of Peverell? Is the legend true?" Pansy asked, approaching.

"Yes... All the Gaunts. Our lineage is Slytherin and Peverell," she explained, embarrassed by the attention.

Yes... Now everyone is focusing on the 'purest ass' girl in school. Cassiopeia rolled her eyes and started stirring the potion clockwise for every seven times counterclockwise, once again disregarding the book.

The potion turned a very light pink.

Lovely.

Seven stirs counterclockwise, one stir clockwise, pause... seven stirs counterclockwise, one stir clockwise...

On the opposite side of the table, Draco was muttering curses non-stop; his potion seemed to have a vibrant purple color. Glancing around, apparently, no other potion was at the right point. But then she noticed Harry, and his potion was absolutely correct.

Who would have thought?

"And that's it... time's up!" announced Slughorn. "Please stop stirring!" The professor walked slowly between the tables, examining the contents of the cauldrons. He didn't make any comments, but occasionally stirred or sniffed one of the potions. Then he stopped at the Gryffindor table and clapped his hands in delight as he tested it.

"Excellent! My boy, congratulations. This is perfect, a single drop could kill us all!" he exclaimed to Harry, very surprised. He continued walking around the room and finally arrived at the Slytherin table. He smiled at Blaze and Nott's potion, then quickly checked Draco's preparation and nodded in approval to Pansy's potion.

Then he saw Cassi's potion, and an expression of pleasure and disbelief spread across his face. "Undoubtedly, perfection!" he exclaimed to the dungeon.

"Excellent, Cassiopeia... Harry! Salazar's snakesit is undeniable that you both have inherited the talent of your mothers!"

"But now... I only have one vial and two brilliant students..." He sighed, looking as if he was struggling internally.

"Harry can have the potion," Cassi said before the professor had an outburst.

Draco almost fell off his chair in protest, but she ignored him.

"I hope you make good use of it," she said quietly to Harry, who looked at her as if she had given him the moon in his hands.

"Thank you, Cassie."

"Take it here, then, take it here: a vial of Felix Felicis, as I promised, and use it well!"

Harry placed the small vial of golden liquid in the inner pocket of his robes.

(...)

"How could you give it to Potter!" Draco exclaimed angrily. "I thought you were my best friend!" He continued to complain as he followed Cassi through the corridors.

"You are, Draco! You are my best friend," she sighed exasperated and stopped to face her friend.

Draco looked as though he was about to cry right there, and she felt sorry for him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 107 12
One day, three years after the war, Harry Potter sees Narcissa Black-Malfoy in Diagon Alley. The woman who saved his life that day in the Forbidden...
34.3K 593 26
Rachel Graham is a 5th-year student at Hogwarts in the Slytherin house. Both of her parents are Death Eaters so she grew up thinking that everything...
21.2K 455 9
In a world where magic reigns supreme, a young witch embarks on a journey to uncover the secrets hidden within the shadows of her classmates. As she...