Harbinger Of Doom: The Attain...

By eeriesage

Lores Taptallen was born in a chaotic time of war and domination. In a world where two species of humans poss... More

Prologue
1. A Conflicted Heart
2. The Ceremony
3. An Explorer
4. The Wanderer
5. Initiated
6. Liz
7. The Hunt
8. A Hard Task
9. In Need
10. Departure
11. Experiment
12. The Capital
13. The Bounty Hunt
14. Exclusive Tavern (1) - The Riddle Contest
15. Exclusive Tavern (2)- The Prince's Agent
16. House Of Berath
17. The Conspiracy
18. Recruited
19. Snowfall Palace
20. Street Fight
21. The First Assignment
22. Summoned
23. The Conference
24. A Man In The Pool
25. Fense County (1)
26. Fense County (2)
27. Fense County (3)
28. Star Of Doom
29. Recovery
30. The Archery Contest (1)
31. The Archery Contest (2)- Commencement
32. The Archery Contest (3) - Bad Blood
33. The Archery Contest (4) - The Second Phase
34. The Archery Contest (5) - The Final
35. Smokescreen
36. Azure Mystic Art
37. Ill Omen
38. Progress?
40. The Teahouse
41. Art Of Tea
42. Remarkable Outing
43. A New Ally
44. Red Moth Village
45. The Dragon Flintstone
46. The Sage
47. Medicine Chef
*Summary*
48. Seven, Where Are You?
49. Overhaul
50. Accepted
51. A New Stage
52. The Life of Shawlunge
53. The Queen Visits
54. Mystic Blade of Asura
55. Back To The Prince.
56. Enjoying The Moon

39. Bane

26 15 13
By eeriesage

On a warm day, the capital was as lively as ever. The brick-floored street was filled with people who were immensely involved in their businesses. The morning sun cast a rosy hue across the sky, bringing along it a flurry of activities. It was a good day to take a walk...or rather for sun basking.

Two elegant looking men walked along the street, cheerfully observing their surrounding. These men were Prince Mo and Lores. A promise made should be kept. Lores was keeping his promise of showing the simplicity of life to Mo.

Mo's dressing was very plain yet elegant. Lores had before now advised him to go incognito so as to easily blend in with the common folks. There were no escort guards around him. He was arrayed in a simple grey robe draped on an inner white raiment. He was acessorily free. There was no ear cuff or hairpin on him. He hair loosely hung down with a white ribbon holding the top. Adding to his refined aura was a waving fan in his right hand and his undeniable handsomeness. He perfectly looked like a refined gentleman.

Lores, on the other hand was also simply attired. There was no sword latched to his side, no accessories. A plain platinum-white robe was donned on him. His extremely raven long hair fell smoothly to his midback, his long pigtails extending across his shoulders. His face lustred like monolith, his lips faintly red but well endowed. His almond eyes dovetailed his expertly pointed nose. It was almost difficult to tell his gender. He was like a masterpiece of human graphics.

They both were a perfect match.

In the bright morning light, the bustling nature of the environment called for a spectacular feeling of mirth and relieve, as if nothing else mattered. As they walked, there was an unexplainable joy felt from seeing the common folks carry out their activities unrestrained.

Mo was ultimately amazed by it. He had lived a complex life entangled with ardent formalities, schemes and undue grandeur. It felt different from sitting in Exclusive Tavern, drinking the most expensive wine. He kept observing the environment with glee as if it was his first time in the capital.

Lores pointed at particular direction where a crowd collected.

"Look! Let's check it out." Mo smiled and followed after Lores like a simpleton. When they joined the crowd, they saw the cause of attention was a swordsman. His sword was clutched behind him while he spoke with confidence.

"Ladies and gentlemen, today I'm going to show you a peerless swordsmanship. It is called song of immortals." The crowd 'ohed' in awe. They were impatient to see what the swordsman had in store for them. Lores rolled his eyes.

"Just show us your skills. What's this bragging all about?"

The man began to perform his peerless swordsmanship. His sword whooshed serially against the wind. His wrist was flexible and he was quite skillful. He swirled his body, slashed and swiped. He jumped, then cartwheeled, thrusting his sword with full energy. After performing, he bowed to the crowd. They exclaimed and clapped after witnessing the entertaining display.

"Good!"

"Really good!"

"Awesome!"

"Amazing."

The crowd cheered with satisfaction. Base on Lores' evaluation, the swordsman was skilled but he lacked intent. It was just a show to showcase his skill and merit accolades for himself. A swordsman without intent cannot defeat an enemy.

The crowd never stopped cheering and clapping. Mo had even flipped his folding fan closed to join the ceremony. He clapped cheerfully while donning what could be called a silly smile on his face. Lores was really taken aback by the type of Mo standing beside him right now.

Mo wasn't done. He did the most earth-shaking thing Lores had ever saw.

He was yelling in oneness with the crowd!

"Wow! That was really awesome!"

Lores was scared for a split second when Mo turned to face him. He shrunk back as if Mo were some twisted humanoid with three heads and six arms. Mo's smile started fading bit by bit.

"What's wrong?" He gave Lores a bothered look. Lores got a grip then forced a smile.

"Nothing." Mo's smile floated back to his face. He was so delighted that he found little meaning in Lores' bizarre manifestations.

"Did you see that?" He pointed his fan towards the swordsman, looking entranced. Lores bobbed with a smile - the type of smile a mother gives when her kid points at a paper crane in the market.

"So this is the heavily worshipped prince of Nan?"

Lores' smile slowly turned into a reasonable one. He was happy with how Mo enjoyed every moment of novelty he was experiencing.

"You seem so elated." Lores smilingly told Mo. Mo flipped his fan open and began to fan himself with an estatic smile.

"Of course! I'm so glad to be part of this today."

They left the spot and moved to another crowdy area where a man was expertly playing with two torches. He spewed wine from his mouth to the torches and the flames intensified. After watching the man for some time, they began to take a walk. Mo heaved a sigh of relish.

"This is truly life in its most basic form."

"I told you. There's more to the world than wealth and grandeur." Lores said, folding his arms.

"No matter how good or bad a regime is, the people will try to flourish. It's a potent skill that even the nobles themselves do not possess. However, good times are transient. These people become vulnerable each time there's a war. As long as we wipe out the Dawcanes..."

"Thanks for your benevolence, your highness." Lores interrupted. "For now, we ought not to discuss about the misfortune of the people. We came here for the main purpose of experiencing the simplicity of life. Do not ruin the mood." The ambience was eventful so Lores was against bringing up the ugly side of the tide. He didn't want to put their spirited moods in disarray. If good times were transient then they should be well cherished. Mo apprehended the logical relevance of Lores' speech. What's more, he did not leave his manor to come out here only to get dispirited. He nodded in congruence.

"Candied hawthorns!" A seller of the fruit yelled as he passed by, winning their attention in the process. The fruit glistened red and was appealing.

They were quite hungry so Mo bought three sticks of candied hawthorns - one for himself and two for Lores who had earlier complained that one stick wasn't enough to satiate him. He could've taken about five to six sticks of candied hawthorns had Mo not warned that they had to be frugal due to the limited amount of money in their possession.

Lores held the sticks on each hand and ate from them as he sauntered. Disrespecting etiquette, he gobbled the hawthorns until his mouth became brimful. The glistening flesh of the fruit quivered faintly on his lips, its juice seeping out, its colour faintly vermilion. It seemed like a dewy rose flower blossoming in spring.

Meanwhile, Mo carefully ate his own, slowly digesting its savour. He looked at Lores and shook his head with a smile.

They went around buying things that were pleasant to the eyes. It was as if Mo took Lores out for shopping. Every single thing that was purchased was all on Mo. They kept on walking until a man called their attention.

"Hey! Young masters, do you want to know your fortunes?" A seated man at the corner grinned widely. Mo stopped and thought for a while then gazed at Lores.

"Why don't we give it a try?" Lores asked alluringly. He was curious to know how his fate in the capital would pan out. Whatever the result of the fortune would be, he would take it with a pinch of salt. Nobody had the power to alter his destiny. He only saw it as part of the fun. For Mo, he just wanted to appease his curiosity.

They walked towards the man.

"It's two silver coins."

Mo took out two silver coins from his purse and dropped it on the table. The man laughed orgasmically as he took the coins and put somewhere in his clothes. Later on, it was decided that Mo would go first.

The man brought a copper coin and tossed it then he started counting his fingers. Subsequently, he faced Mo and smiled.

"Young master, your future is bright. You will rise to the pinnacle of greatness." Mo did not jubilate. He only nodded stiffly with a blank face. He wasn't much of a religious person, hence things like fortune telling was lowly regarded. It was just done for the sake of it.

The man mimicked the same action when it was Lores' turn. His face suddenly dimmed. He smiled restlessly at Lores.

"Young master, eh...your future doesn't seem promising. You...you will be overwhelmed by the ordeals of life."

"Is that so?" Lores smiled apathetically.

"Yes." The man answered. "Your fates are somehow linked to each other." He added then directed his eyes to Mo. "Young master, you better not associate with this ill-fated gentleman. He is going to be your bane." He was referring to Lores.

Mo jerked his head back due to the profound weight of the presage. His brows crinkled terribly; almost knitting into one. Lores too was aghast for a split second. The two men glanced at each other, seeing the same look of shock on their faces.

It came like a sudden rush of lightning, like a plummeting meteor; unpredictable and turbulent.

After the intense ambience, Mo held Lores' arm as they both bowed and left.

The fortune teller jittered his head and sighed bitterly.

"How cruel fate can be."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.4K 1.8K 41
Maenya Targaryen. Born in 96 AC, The first child of Aemma and Viserys Targaryen, All seemed well, Maenya was "The gem of the Kingdoms" her younger si...
308K 15.4K 47
Ruby King is your average young woman who is starting to attend college full time. Everything is going great until she notices that there seems to be...
1M 43K 90
Kenta Bernard, a seventeen-year-old, died of leukemia in the hospital and was reincarnated in a novel that he has yet to finish. He is the ill second...
135K 3.7K 25
Warning: 18+ ABO worldကို အခြေခံရေးသားထားပါသည်။ စိတ်ကူးယဉ် ficလေးမို့ အပြင်လောကနှင့် များစွာ ကွာခြားနိုင်ပါသည်။