To Capture A Bride

By the_atticwriter

|Updates every Tuesdays| "Come with me." I laugh and wipe the beads of sweat off my forehead. "And why would... More

Prologue ♡
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 16

91 18 45
By the_atticwriter

✿ Aileen's POV

My hands graze the pulse point of my neck where his lips were less than 24 hours ago.

“Beautiful.”

My eyelids automatically shut and I feel my lips part as the sensation comes flooding back in pleasurable waves. He didn't even kiss me and my insides were already turning into fine mush.

Lee...

His touch was incredible.

Lee...

He knew just what to do to get me to moan.

“You feel that? That's a C-flat major.”

I swallowed. Why didn't the kiss happen? Did she have to walk in at that moment?

Lee...

Couldn't she have waited for just...

“Aileen!”

My eyes snap open and I lift my head only to slam it into something hard.

“Ow!”

I rub the side of my head and turn to see her watching me with her head cocked to the side.

“Yes, Bon?”

“What are you doing down there?”

What am I doing here?

I quickly get up, trying to come up with an explanation as I did.

“I um... was looking for my phone. Found it!” I smile, pulling it out of my back pocket.

She eyes me a little before nodding.

“Okay.”

I keep a smile on my face.

“You coming?”

“Yes, yes, of course,” I nod and stand up from where I was crouched beside the counter.

Get it together, Lee!

The smell of sugar cookies strongly enters the air as I approach the kitchen. Laid out on the worktables are dozens of our best-selling sugar cookies. I smile and pause at the doorway to enjoy the smell till I spot Tasmim struggling with the frosting recipe again.

“Tas, you're messing up the frosting. You need to add more sugar,” Douglas says, walking towards her.

“No, I'm not. You're just jealous that I'm making it better than you.”

“Why would I be jealous? I make the best frosting after Miss Lee,” he chortles.

“Please, Vee's the best after Miss Lee” Jaime rolls her eyes as she opens one of the ovens to check on the bread.

“That girl is good,” Silas chimes in.

“She can bake her tail off,” Tasmim chuckles.

I shake my head.

“Miss Lee?” Angelo, the new kid I hired three days comes up behind me.

“Yes?”

“Some people are coming in and I don't know if their orders will be together or separate,” he tells me, letting me hear the panic in his thick Filipino accent.

“Hang on, lemme just wash my hands first,” I say making my way towards the sink in the kitchen.

Jaime grins at me when I enter and I smile back. Once I'm done, I walk back out and into the eatery with Angelo trailing closely after me. After showing him what to do, I observed him for a bit.

“You've been quiet.”

I look away from Angelo who was finding it difficult to notice that a customer was flirting with him.

“I have?”

Bonnie nods.

“You wanna talk about it?”

I quickly shake my head and turn away.

“There's nothing to talk about Bon. I'm fine, just a bit tired.”

“Tired?”

I nodded, watching Angelo pluck the young girl's hand from his arm. He looked uncomfortable.

“Yes. Tired.”

From the periphery of my eyes, I see her fold her arms.

“You got back late last night and you crawled into your bed.”

I glance at her.

“Your bed, Lee. And I'm supposed to believe that?”

I shrug.

“Yes. I was just too tired to walk to the balcony bed. So I crawled into my bed.”

“And moved out to the balcony at midnight?”

Because I didn't want the night to end!

I knew if I went out onto the balcony and got in bed, I'd fall right asleep. So knowing I wouldn't be able to sleep in my actual bed, I just laid down and replayed the moments with Reid over and over and over again.

His lips...

“Don't you sleep, Bon?” I shook my head at her, riding myself of the unhealthy lust that was growing inside me.

“When it comes to my daughters and their love lives, no.”

I chuckled.

“I'm sure Cami's got her love life in the bag, Bonnie. And my love life with Reid Dalton is fine” I smile at her.

She opens her mouth to say something when Angelo's tortured expression catches my eye.

“Todd?” I call out.

“Yeah?” he stops wiping the counters and looks up at me.

“Please help the poor kid out before he breaks down into tears” I sigh.

Todd chuckles but nods and moves up to help the young boy.

“He's that bad at this, isn't he?” Bonnie chuckles, probably forgetting what she wanted to ask.

“He'll get it” I smile.

“Are you sure you're okay, Lee?” she asks after a moment.

I nod, avoiding her gaze.

“Okay. Well, how was your date?”

“It wasn't a date.”

“Whatever. How'd it go?”

I nod for a few seconds before turning to her.

“Great.”

She narrows her eyes and I walk out of the eatery.

“Great?”

“Perfect.”

Bonita chuckles as she trails after me.

“Lee, don't try to fool me.”

“I'm not” I doubled my steps. “It went great. Everyone was so... sweet to me.”

Bonita quickly steps in front of me, making me pause.

“Even Portia Dalton?”

Her name instantly sends an unpleasant chill through me and I exhale deeply.

“I knew it” Bonita shakes her head. “What happened?”

I rub my arm.

“She... freaked out.”

Bonita squeezes her brows together.

“Freaked out?”

“Yes. Like you did when I told you the news” I smiled.

She chortles.

“I did not freak out.”

“You walked out of our family dinner, gave me the silent treatment, and somehow, Papi is still not okay with this.”

I don't expect him to be though.

I sidestep Bonita and continue walking.

“Okay how is the third one linked to me?” she asks as she comes after me.

“He's carrying your rage” I tease her over my shoulder.

The bell in the bakery tingles as a small group walks in.

“This is Reid Dalton's fiancée's bakery. That Lee chick” I catch one whispering to the other.

“The place Emma went to?” asks a girl with curly blonde hair.

“Yeah she says they are so good,” the first one speaks louder this time.

“Hello,” one guy who's built like a football player grins at Lyra.

“Hello. Welcome to Sweets by Lee. What can I get for y'all?”

“Could we get a menu we can look at first?” the curly-headed one asks.

“Yes, you can.”

“Lee.”

I sigh.

“What is it, Bon?”

“Did she say anything to you?”

Only that I'm too brown for her son.

“Nothing a mother who finds out her only son's engaged to a baker behind his family's backs wouldn't say.”

“So she refused to accept you?”

I shrugged.

“They walked out before we got to dessert.”

“Oh my goodness, why? It was that bad?”

“His parents thought it was too much of a commitment for Reid and me to be living together. And honestly I—”

“You're what?!” Bonita exclaims.

Uh-oh.

“How is the lemon cake?” the curly-haired asked.

“It’s delightful. Miss Lee came up with the recipe herself. Some people tend to not buy it because they'd rather stick with the regulars. But in my opinion, it’s one of the best cakes we have, and they're just missing out big time” Lyra rambles on.

“Lee! Over here!” Bonita snaps her fingers in my face.

I blink.

“You two have been living together?!” she fumes.

I nod.

“And that's exactly how Portia reacted.”

Just bigger and meaner.

“You two will get along just fine.”

“Don't play with me girl” she folds her arms.

I sigh.

“Right, right. Sorry,” I mutter.

“You've been living together and you didn't tell anyone?” she asks. “Wait, how? When? You always come home and stay home. How on earth...”

Bonita's eyes widen and she hits my arm.

“Ow!”

“The trip to Cabo.”

“What?”

“The trip we all took to Cabo for six months! The one you refused to come with us in the name of 'holding the fort down' Lee” she air quotes.

Ohh...

“You decided to stay back for him?” her gaze turns solemn.

“No, no, Bon. It was just a coincidence, I promise.”

“Hasn't this all been?” she scoffs, shaking her head.

“Bon—”

“I just wish you'd told me earlier. Lee, you're my best friend... even before I married your uncle we were best friends who told each other everything. And now... I keep wondering what else you're hiding from me.”

I close my eyes and sigh.

“Bonita,” I say softly and take her hands in mine. “When I decided to stay back, it was to hold down the fort. I couldn't abandon the business for six months.”

“You couldn't abandon Reid for six months” she mutters loud enough for me to hear.

“Hey” I squeeze onto her hand and she eyes me a little. “Moving in with Reid was just a coincidence, I promise. I couldn't say anything either because well... we hadn't told anyone—”

“That you'd been dating for two years. Yes, I got the memo” she rolls her eyes.

Oh God.

“Just...” she shakes her head, “Just promise me that you won't keep any more secrets from me. Even if you can't tell anyone, don't keep it from me. I'd hate it for no one to be in your corner if it comes out, you hear me?”

I nod.

“I hear you.”

“Good.”

Bonita pauses for a few seconds before speaking up again.

“And... were they all mean to you?”

I smile and shake my head.

“No. Reid's cousin's family was super nice. Especially his cousin's daughter, Maeve. She was different... and she's genuinely happy that Reid's happy.”

Bonita smiles.

“Okay.”

I let go of her hands and she wanders back into the kitchen.

“Well I want a slice of the lemon cake with a pack of chocolate chip cookies,” the first guy speaks up.

Are they still ordering?

“This is all on one order but I'll take a slice of chocolate cake and two packs of peanut butter cookies,” the curly-haired girl says.

“And I'll take the orange cake and a glass of pink lemonade,” the football-type guy smiles at Lyra.

“Oh a lemonade for me too,” the first one says. “But without the pink.”

“Okay,” Lyra smiles back.

“Hang on, which one of us is paying?” the girl asks.

I shake my head.

Women.

“How about whoever makes the most money pays,” the first guy grins.

“We all make a lot,” the girl chortles.

“How subtle, guys. I'll pay,” the muscled one shakes his head and pulls out his wallet.

“In that case” the girl chirps up, “I'll have a large iced latte, another slice of chocolate cake, and two more packs of peanut butter cookies to go.”

“I'd like some scones too” the first guy adds. “Thanks, bro,” he playfully punches the muscled guy's arm.

Lyra hands their order to Jamie as the group takes a seat.

“Miss Lee?” someone whimpers behind me.

I turn.

“Oh my God, Gelo? Are you okay” I ask as I approach him.

“No. I got cheese in my eye.”

“Oh my... Todd!” I yell out the back.

He comes up to me holding his hands in the air.

“I looked away for two seconds, Miss Lee.”

I groan.

“Help him wash it out. And try not to look away this time. I'd hate for him to turn on the hot tap and burn himself” I say firmly.

Todd nods.

“Got it. Come on kid.”

“Miss Lee...”

“It's okay, Angelo. You'll be fine. Just please go with him.”

He nods and Todd leads him away.

I exhale.

“He'll get it,” I tell myself and walk into the eatery.

The group that was here earlier had left and there was nobody else around.

“Can you boys explain to me how and why Gelo got cheese in his eye?”

Levy laughs.

“That kid's funny” Leslie grins as he pops his head through the serving hatch.

“If by funny, you mean hopeless then yes, kid's hilarious” Silas chimes in.

I give him a look and he turns his attention back to wiping the tables.

“Where'd you find him anyway, Miss Lee?” Levy asks.

“You haven't answered my question.”

He shrugs.

“Todd was supposed to be watching him.”

“You're all supposed to be keeping an eye out for him” I frown.

Leslie quickly disappears back into the kitchen and Silas turns away. Levy sighs.

“No disrespect Miss Lee, but I don't think Gelo is ever going to get it. Does he even need the job?”

“He's an eighteen-year-old boy from the Philippines in America for the first time. Of course, he needs the job.”

“But we don't need him.”

I arch a brow.

“I'm saying we've got it covered around here. We don't need any more help.”

“Sadly I'm the only one who gets to say who comes and goes. So you better get used to Angelo and help him settle in good, or I'm going to be forced to use all your weekly bonuses to cover his hospital bills.”

“What?!” Leslie lets out, popping back in through the serving hatch.

“Your choice” I smile.

“Melo, I said we're done! I don't need your crap anymore” Bernadette screams as she storms into the eatery.

Oh does it ever end?

“You're late,” Silas says to her.

“I know, I know” she sighs, threading a hand through her hair. “I'm just—”

“Come on Bernie,” Melo groans, following her inside. “I said I was sorry! Take me back already.”

Bernadette frowns and whips around to face him.

“You can't cheat on me and then want me back. It doesn't work like that!”

Melo grabs her wrist.

“I said I'm sorry. What more do you want from me?”

“Sorry won't be enough for the two years I spent with you. Now let me go!”

But Melo wouldn't let go. If anything, he made his grip tighter around her.

“Ow! Let me go!”

“No.”

“Hey let her go!” Levy walks over and pushes him off of her.

Silas shares a look with Leslie and they both look at me.

“Are you okay?” Levy asks her.

“Uh yeah,” Bernadette replies casually.

The scene playing in front of me takes me back to the time Reid swooped in to 'save' me from Geo, unnecessarily, and I chuckle.

Melo steps closer to the two of them with a cold glare.

“Who the hell is this, Bernie?”

“Someone who's gonna give you a lot of trouble if you don't leave her alone” Levy glares back. “Can't you see she has had enough of you for one lifetime?”

Melo steps up to Levy who is way taller and muscled than him. But before Levy can introduce his fists to Melo, Silas slips in between them.

“Bad idea, buddy. Trust me when I say his bite is worse than his bark.”

“You're going to let Bruce Willis here talk to me like this, Bernie?” Melo practically screams.

Bernadette ignores him.

“Are you sleeping with him?”

“Okay, that's enough” I clap, intervening. “Melo, out.”

“Oh c'mon Lee.”

“No, no, out” I point to the door.

“I just wanna talk to my girlfriend.”

“I'm not your girlfriend!” Bernadette huffs.

“Because of this—”

Levy attempts to move closer to Melo but Silas holds him back. Melo scoffs.

“You wanna take a swing at me, huh?”

“I'll take more than a swing!” Levy threatens.

“Enough!” I exclaim. “Melo, out! Before I call the cops!”

“I already did” Leslie informs. “They'll be here soon. So I suggest you give yourself a head start.”

Melo looks away from the serving hatch and glares at Levy.

“This isn't over.”

His eyes flick over to Bernadette.

“You better not change the locks again because I'm spending the night with you.”

And like that, he walks off. Bernadette exhales deeply and sinks into a chair nearby.

“The nerve of the guy!” Levy fumes.

“Okay Bruce Banner, take a walk,” I pat him hard.

His eyes flick to Bernadette for a second before moving to the large window across the room. I hear Bernadette's sniffing and I gingerly pass her a box of tissues.

“Thank you” she sniffs.

“Did he hurt you?” I ask.

“No. He's just angry.”

“For what?”

“Changing the locks and not letting him... you know.”

I catch Levy's jaw tick.

“What did you even see in a dwarf like him anyway?”

“Hey!” I shoot him a look.

“Sit down, man” Silas sighs at him and Levy reluctantly does so.

I turn back to Bernadette.

“Why are you still with him then?”

“I'm not” she shakes her head. “I'm not his girlfriend anymore.”

“He cheated?”

“With my cousin.”

Silas lets out a low whistle.

“He hit so close to home?” Leslie chimes in.

I shoot him a look and he motions to zipping his lips.

“Has he always been angry?”

“Yes,” she sighs. “Even before we dated.”

“So then why did you go ahead with dating him, Bernie?” I ask.

“Because I was in love” she wails.

“Oh,” I rub her back.

Foolishly in love.

“I know what you're thinking” she sniffs as she yanks more tissues out of the box.

She does?

“You do?”

Bernadette nods.

“That I acted foolishly.”

Oh, she does.

“No” I shake my head. “I would never think that of you.”

She sniffs and looks up at me.

“I wouldn't blame you if you did” she whispers. “Not everyone is as lucky as you.”

I make a face.

“What's that supposed to mean?”

She sits up.

“You bagged Reid freaking Dalton. He's too much of a gentleman to ever make you cry. And so you're very lucky Miss Lee.”

I chortle.

“How would you like a waffle tower, Bernie?” Leslie offers. “On me.”

She turns and nods at him.

“I'll get you a glass of water and some juice” Silas adds.

“And I'm here if you ever need someone to put that dwarf in his place” Levy stands. “Or if you ever wanna talk... about anything... I'm your guy.”

Smooth, Levy.

Bernadette gives him a little smile.

“I'd like that.”

I chuckle softly.

“Hey um Lee?”

I turn.

“Yes?”

“I didn't find anything about a Maeve Dalton.”

I furrow my brows.

“And why are you looking her up?”

Bonita shrugs.

“Oh, you know... I just thought we'd maybe bake her a pie or make her some pot roast to thank her for being on your team.”

“What team?”

“Wildcats!” Jaime cheers behind me.

Bonita cocks her head and I turn around.

“Whoops, sorry” she chuckles nervously. “I just couldn't help myself.”

I shake my head and turn back to Bonita.

“Well you're not going to find her that way” I answer, moving back into the bakery.

“Well tell me how to find her because I got nothing from typing up her name.”

“Cause it typed it wrong.”

“Maeve has another spelling?” she asks.

I stop in front of the counter as Bonita slips back behind it.

“Not that I know of” I shrug. “But it's her last name.”

“Explain.”

“Maeve's mother is Reid's cousin—”

“Oh so her maiden name is Dalton” Bonita cuts me off.

I chuckle.

“Pretty much. They're too nice to come from Portia's side.”

“So what's her last name?”

“Madden. Maeve Madden.”

Bonita snaps her finger at Lyra.

“Quick. Type it in.”

I shake my head.

“Oh, we have a lot of Maeve Madden showing up” Lyra observes.

“Lee, come identify her” Bonita waves me over.

“No. Does this look like Criminal Case to you?”

Bonita makes a face at me.

“Fine. What does she look like?”

I sigh.

“Strawberry blonde hair, big blue eyes, great smile, err—”

“Cute as a button, probably has one section of her walk-in closet dedicated to housing Louboutins, and yet owns that ridiculous ugly rainbow-themed phone cover?” Lyra intercepts me.

I make a face.

“The internet gives you all that?” I ask.

“Nope. But she's about to walk in” she points out.

“In three, two, one...” Bonita counts down.

The bell tingles just in time for me to turn.

They weren't kidding.

“Maeve?”

Thank you for reading!
Please don't forget to vote.
Ciao
~the_atticwriter

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.3K 394 48
"You can't be serious?" I stare at him in disbelief, blinking as I notice there isn't any sign of a lie. "Why would I marry you? I mean I see your be...
89K 3.2K 20
Emily is just your average twenty something living life. She manages a cupcake bakery, has good friends, fosters animals from the pound and just when...
518K 15.9K 59
AN OPPOSITES ATTRACT ROMANCE WITH BITE! **** 'Do you feel that? That's the sound of an alive heart. I don't know what it is about you, Candice, but s...
833K 25.9K 56
"Well I think the best option is that we should get married" I said breaking the silence. "Have you lost your mind" she yelled at me. "Look I know...