In the Eyes of the Wolf

By NadineMcgee

-Complete- Pax never felt like he even deserved the right to be considered part of Kian's pack. Pax was usele... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62

Chapter 55

297 7 0
By NadineMcgee

Chapter 55

-Pax-

That was one of the most stressful things that I had ever done. I had fought my pack before, Cedar and Rosary, but I wasn't expecting to have to protect a human at the same time. When I was younger, I didn't even know that there were humans, I thought that we were all just the same. Human just referred to the point in time where we were in our human forms.

Cedar had already scratched down my face, and Rosary kept trying to get around me in order to get to Kelsey. I didn't quite know what they would achieve by doing so, but I tried my hardest to block her. We hadn't gone far into the trees by the park, just around fifty feet. I didn't like how unfamiliar the surroundings were, but I tried my best to not run into any trees.

"On your left, Pax!" Kelsey shouted from behind me as another wolf joined the fight. I didn't know who they were, but I knew what their teeth felt like in my side. The very thought alone made me shiver and fight more. I removed my attention from Cedar and nipped at the new wolf's neck, which caused them to jolt backwards. More growls started to emit from our surroundings. I didn't know if that was a good sign or a bad sign, but I could only focus on the three attackers for now.

Kelsey's footsteps became clear as Rosary lunged again. "I'm in a tree," Kelsey yelled down at me. I thanked my lucky stars that she was smart, I hadn't thought of that. Wolves couldn't climb trees, no matter if they were werewolves or not. It would be an extremely hilarious sight though.

I blocked Rosary from moving behind me, throwing her somewhere to the right. I heard a collision, so I hoped that meant she was out of the fight for good. The growls became louder and the fur on the back of my neck stood on end., I dived out of the way as someone pounced from behind.

I was outnumbered, that was abundantly clear. I took a deep breath and shook my head. I had a wound in my side and a scratch on my face, I had to keep that in mind or else I'd do more harm than good.

Someone came from my left and another came from my right. I was trapped in a circle of enemies. I narrowly avoided their jaws, but then another came too quickly for me, I fell onto my back, someone above me keeping my shoulders and limbs down. I tried to bite them, but all I got was the cold air.

Pressure was placed on my neck, and I started to feel my pulse throughout my body. My heartbeat pounded in my head and the pain made me shudder. Then my blackness, that I knew all too well, was all I could focus on.

I couldn't remember how long had passed. I was used to not having a good sense of time, but that was whilst I was conscious, being unconscious is a different feeling altogether. I couldn't really tell exactly when I woke up either, but my head and side hurt, again.

"We really should stop doing this, it's getting embarrassing." A voice which I knew all-too-well teased. "Pax, when will you learn not to go off by yourself?"

I snorted. I couldn't move, even if I wanted to. My arms were forced to stay by my sides and my legs were tied together.

"Wolf got your tongue?" she asked. "Come on, it's no fun if you don't talk back."

I still didn't say anything. I didn't want to give her any satisfaction, and I couldn't give her any information. I didn't really have anything to give her.

She sighed. "Fine, have it your way."

A loud clanging echoed through the room I was in, making me assume that the room was probably empty save for the chair I was sitting in. Said chair had various splinters which were sticking into my back. I was glad to have some shorts on, but I was concerned about who dressed me.

Two pairs of footsteps came forward, they were heavy, and a jingling sound came with each step. They were probably wearing some sort of chains or holding some keys.

"Just don't kill him. We want to make it seem as though he put up a good fight," Daphne instructed before a door shut, making the floor vibrate with the amount of force.

"I've been waiting months for this," a voice I didn't recognise said. I could imagine them grinning, rubbing their hands together as they stared down at my weak frame.

"Too bad we can't be rough with him," a second voice said. "At least we didn't need to blindfold this one. Blindfolds always ruin it."

I wondered how Daphne had gotten hold of such sadistic people. She had always been a passionate and protective mother to Alder, who I was worrying about more and more as the days went by.

My head was forced backwards as a hand made contact with my cheek. I felt bones cracking as they made contact, and my cheek began to throb. If beating me up was their only plan, I didn't know what they could achieve from it.

A foot made contact with my stomach, sending me to the floor. I mentally cursed as blood filled my mouth due to the cut that I had created in my tongue.

"You can't be that rough," the first voice scolded. "You'll break the chains."

"Fuck the chains," the second voice said. "He's weaker than a baby corgi trying to swim. You saw what he was like in the woods."

I knew he meant that as an insult, but I couldn't bring myself to care about what these men thought of me.

The chair was brought upright, and someone checked the chains on my arms. They were pulled even tighter than before, sure to leave a mark for quite some time.

A flurry of blows hit my body in quick succession. I hardly had time to register one before the next came. The second man was much stronger then the first, or the first was just holding back an incredible amount,

I couldn't do anything else but let them hit me. I was hardly able to move any part of my body due to the restraints, I just had to hope that someone would come find me, or I would be knocked out again so that I didn't need to feel the pain.

It seemed that my bad luck had continued. I didn't pass out, nor did anyone come to find me. Well, nobody succeeded in finding me if they had come looking. I stopped counting at over one hundred punches. I even made a small guessing game out of where they would hit next. I was grateful they didn't use weapons, but I was sure a few ribs were broken.

It also gave me some time to reflect on what my current situation was. I had been kidnapped, again. It seems that's the only thing Daphne confidently knows how to do. They didn't want to hurt me too badly, or risk killing me. That meant that I was being kept alive for some reason. Maybe they just wanted to savour the victory? Or maybe they wanted to make a show of killing the black wolf which stirred up so much commotion? Either way, I didn't know if I was grateful or not.

"Alright boys," Daphne said. I hadn't even noticed her coming back into the room. "Game's over. We need him to be as mark-free as we can get him."

"But he'll heal quickly," the second person argued in a whiney voice. " He'll be looking brand new before the-" he interrupted himself with a groan.

"Shut up," the first voice commanded. "He still has ears."

"A shame really," the second voice said. "What if we were to..."

"Absolutely not," Daphne snapped. "I came here to tell you to stop beating him up, and yet you still dare to suggest you cut his ears off?"

A sigh came from their direction before someone grabbed my chin. "You did a lot of damage to his face; I don't think this would heal in time." It was Daphne. Her breath smelled like rotting vegetables, it was so bad I tried to pull my head out of her grasp, but it only caused her to tighten her grip.

"We didn't go that hard," the first voice insisted. "We tried to avoid the face."

Daphne hummed before letting go of my chin. "Well, whatever state his face is in tomorrow, it will be reflected on you."

She walked away, taking the other two with her.

I was now able to concentrate on the pain which cursed through my body. Most of it was circulating in my torso and chest, but she was right to be doubtful that they had avoided my face. I wasn't sure if my eyes were open or shut, but I couldn't move my eyelids.

I hoped that Kelsey was safe, I shouldn't have gotten her involved.

Nobody had visited me in lord-knows how long. I didn't know what time it was, or what day it was. It could've been the next day, two days after, or it could have only been a few hours. All I know for certain is that the next time someone came into the room, I was thirsty, hungry, and still in pain.

"Dang Pax, they did you good," Cedar said with a small chuckle as he stood behind me. He loosened the restraints which kept my back firmly pressed to the chair, and then moved to my wrists. He tied them both together before moving to the ones on my ankles. "Didn't think I'd be doing this when I first met you."

I glared in front of me, or I tried at least. "I was seven when you first met me," I commented. I really wanted to give him the silent treatment, but I couldn't bring myself to. I was trying to take every bit of communication I could get right now.

"Yes, and I didn't expect that I would be chaining up poor little blind Pax and putting him to auction," he repeated dramatically.

Auction? I was being sold...It could've been worse; I could've immediately been killed with no chance of escape. Chances are, I will probably still have no chance of escape. Yet, there was a sliver of hope that remained within me. I could be bought by someone who has good intentions, what on earth am I thinking? I can't be someone's property. I had spent the past few hours, or so, figuring that I would be meeting my death now. I shouldn't be accepting less just because I couldn't see the sword.

"Let's not wait for the grass to grow," Cedar said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I'd hate for the audience to be kept waiting."

There would be an audience? My face scrunched up as I tried to comprehend that. I was pushed forward and out of the room. The shorts that I wore had been mine back when I lived with Kian, they were now familiar as I walked. If I could move my fingertips a little to the right, I could probably follow a line of stitching which had been a little frayed but made a diamond shape.

There was actually a lot of noise coming from in front of us. I supposed that the room that I had been locked in was very far away from the main room of the house. If this even was a house that is, it felt more like a hospital, and smelt more like a hospital. It smelled strongly of disinfectant, blood, and mould. It wasn't at all pleasant.

I had only been to the hospital a few times, so I could be incredibly wrong. But the thoughts distracted me from the upcoming events which could decide my entire future. I hoped that everyone was safe and that they didn't try to interfere. If it was as big as I imagine it to be, then it would be far too dangerous for anyone to intervene.

That still didn't stop me hoping for a miracle.

The chattering got louder until I was stopped in front of two doors.

"Looks about right," Daphne said with a stony voice. "Hope this works."

"It will," another voice, which I didn't recognise, assured. "Everyone's out for him. We caught him and so, we have the upper hand."

"The only reason they want him is because of what we said," Daphne argued. "What if they find out that it's all wrong? They could come back for us."

"Pacs!" a young and familiar voice called out. "Pacs!" it came again.

My heart had stopped at Alder's sweet voice. I hadn't seen him in months, and he still recognised me. It was slightly absurd to think that he wouldn't. I hadn't changed much, I was sure. But what was he doing here? In a place so dangerous and cruel as this? His mother was here, and as far as I knew, she was his only guardian. It seemed so wrong to have someone so pure as Alder in a place with so much destruction.

Daphne sighed. "Alder, stay over there," she commanded. "I told you not to come over here."

"But I wanted to see what was happening," Alder whined back. "You never let me leave the playroom anymore."

Anymore? How long had Daphne known about and used this place? If he was here whilst I was still living with Kian, that would make a lot of sense. At the same time, I didn't want to think about how long Daphne had been planning her rebellion. I had already guessed that it had been years, but the thought about living with these two sent shivers down my spine.

No, the thought about living with Daphne made shivers run down my spine. Living with Alder was one of the biggest breaks I got when I only had my attic to go to. The little boy brought me so much joy and hope for a better future. I loved having little conversations with him, and it was always disheartening when Daphne pulled him away.

"It doesn't mean that you can disobey what I say," Daphne scolded. "You need to learn to listen to me. You're not going to get anywhere without being able to listen."

I kept my opinions to myself. I didn't think that listening to Daphne would get him very far either, especially since she was not afraid to speak her mind in some of the most dangerous situations. It didn't matter if she had the upper hand or not, she ran her mouth and was a sly woman.

I couldn't tell if I admired that yet. It was true that I had been quiet, but it also took bravery to know when to open your mouth. She was brave, but she lacked common sense.

Yet, I couldn't allow myself to believe any of my thoughts as I was pushed forward and into the makeshift auction hall.

The room became louder as I entered. I was grasped by both of my arms, held in place as a bright light rained down. I could feel the heat from it and even my poor eyesight couldn't prevent me from squinting, it was just too bright.

"Ladies and gentlemen! I have before you one of the last remaining black wolves to roam the earth," Daphne started. "Pax Cmmaikoh here, is one of the last black wolves in existence. I bring him here today to auction to one special person, or pack, here tonight."

Tonight? How long had I been here? I couldn't believe that it was nighttime already. It had felt like hours, sure, but I just thought that was because of the pain that I had been going through. My friends were either safe, or they had already been cut down like a hedge.

"I know, you're all excited to get a hold of him. And I bet you're curious as to how we got a hold of him. I can gladly tell you that he was tricked and surrounded, with only the companionship of a human. We present him to you with minimal injuries, so you could do with him what you will."

"What's wrong with him?" someone shouted from the audience.

"He is blind," Daphne announced. "I'm sure that won't cause too much of an issue for any of you. He is mobile and can use his other senses just fine."

I cowled. The fact that it was too obvious, and that it was immediately what she resorted to when asked such a vague question.

"You're selling him damaged!" another person accused.

I scoffed and faced the floor. I didn't want to deal with this judgement, particularly when potentially being sold.

"I can assure you, he was born blind," "Daphne lied through her teeth.

"No, I wasn't," I corrected. "I've been blind since I was seven." I coughed as Daphne, I assume, elbowed me in the chest. I sent them a sarcastic smile.

"She's lying!" The second person screamed. "How do we know he's a black wolf? She could be lying about that too."

Daphne gave a small laugh; you know the kind where they're trying to stop themselves from losing their temper. "Shift," she commanded.

"No." I shook my head. The grips on my arms grew tighter.

"Shift!" she said louder.

I would've found it funny if she wasn't holding me by the back of my neck. Her yelling after that laugh was terrifying.

I was forced to my knees. A few members of the audience gasped. Daphne got close to my ear again and whispered. "If you don't shift, that human and the rest of the pack gets it."

I wanted to stare into her eyes and challenge her. She didn't know who the other pack is, nor does she know who Kelsey is. Yet I still found myself shifting. It was quite uncomfortable, given the fact I was still clothed. Yet the gasps of the audience made me feel like I was doing something incredibly wrong.

"Now, shall we start the bidding?"

Hello lovelies!

I hope that you're all doing well :D

The question of the day is, when do schools break up where you live?

They broke up last week in the UK-or at least in my part of the UK- So aroundabout the 20th or so of July? I'm aware that loads of places break up a little earlier, which I think would be pretty cool, as my birthday is June 21st and that was often taken up by exams.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

631K 19.8K 15
[Watty Awards 2012 Finalist] [ManxMan] ... BOOK TWO OF DESIRE TRILOGY FORMALLY KNOWN AS -- IN HIS EYES After a bad break up, Dimitri leaves the apart...
45.7K 2.3K 14
Justin's blind. Ever since the car accident when he was ten, Justin lost the ability to see and hates it. He lost everything that day. But, it could'...
858K 27.9K 49
None so deaf as those that will not hear. None so blind as those that will not see. ~Matthew Henry William grew up knowing only darkness. His parent...
7.4K 329 12
# 2nd Place Scarlet Awards Nico & Nox ------------------------------ Nico was orphaned at a young age and raised by a few people who showed more kind...