Downton Abbey - The Story of...

By Lelemaa

March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paterni... More

Prologue
Part ONE
Fair (May 1913)
Flower Show (August 1913)
Rights, Soap & Soup (Summer 1914)
Farewell (August 1914)
Part TWO
War (March 1917)
See You Again (April 1917)
Lt. Edward Courtney (April 1917)
Game of War (May 1917)
Convalescent Home (Summer 1917)
Just A Normal Day (Summer 1917)
The Barrow Family (November 1917)
Emma's Phase of Defiance (February 1918)
Emmas Phase of Defiance II (February 1918)
Playdate with Dad (June 1918)
William (July 1918)
A Father's Love (July 1918)
It's School Time (September 1918)
Black Market & Emmas Birthday (Feb-March 1919)
Secrets & Eavesdropping (April 1919)
Run Away Kid & The Flu (April 1919)
Merry Christmas (December 1919)
A New Year (January 1920)
Part THREE
Giant, Lilliputian & Dwarf (Spring 1920)
Bedtime Stories (Spring 1920)
Wedding Time (Spring 1920)
Missing Shirts & another Wedding (May 1920)
Sisters in our Hearts (May 1920)
O'Brien's Trap (May 1920)
Barrow's Plan (May 1920)
Eventful Days (May 1920)
Lady Sybil's Baby (June 1920)
Lady Sybil (June 1920)
Bates Return & A Kiss (June/July 1920)
The Kiss (July 1920)
The Consequences (July 1920)
Emma's Idea (July 1920)
Cricket Match (August 1920)
Curfew (May 1921)
Emma's Fall (May 1921)
Emma Grace (May 1921)
Rest & Cake (May/June 1921)
Dresses, Tea & Cinema (September 1921)
Talk, Thirsk & A Box (September 1921)
Fair & Another Baby (September 1921)
Mister Matthew (September 1921)
Grief & Guilt (September 1921)
Moving Forward (Sept - Oct 1921)
The New Daily Life (November 1921)
Lady Rose (29 November 1921)
Tea Time, Nanny West & O'Brien (Jan/Feb 1922)
Part FOUR
The longing for a mother (February 1922)
You Must Fight Back (February 1922)
Valentine's Letter (14th February 1922)
Stand up for yourself (February 1922)
Emma's Own Room (March 1922)
Full House (May 1922)

Peace (October - December 1918)

202 11 7
By Lelemaa

Joyfully, Emma went home. On today's school day, she found a best friend, Ruby. Both girls played together after school, but her father's one-hour rule was simply too short to play with her new best friend. And especially now in the darker season, her father became stricter with the curfew, only allowing her to stay out until the beginning of dusk.

In the backyard, she stopped and looked critically over at Thomas and O'Brien. The cigarettes were smoking in their hands, and they seemed to be having a serious conversation. Thomas glanced over at her now, his face showing only that tough 'servant facade' - utterly indecipherable to Emma. It didn't take a minute, and O'Brien left the backyard. Her father now stood alone, leaning against the wall behind him. At least he extinguished the cigarette as Emma approached slowly. "Dad?" she asked nervously, her hands tightly clutching the strap of her school bag, "Why can't I play with my friends for longer? I think it's silly that I always have to come home so early. The others are all allowed to play longer."

"All the other kids live in the village. House by house."

"Still..." But before Emma could finish her explanation, she was interrupted by Thomas, "You know the conditions. You have until it's dark to come home. If you dawdle on the way, you have to leave your friends earlier. If you hurry, you can stay with them longer."

"How generous," she muttered, rolling her eyes. Thomas took this as an opportunity to raise his eyebrows in surprise. He smiled slightly at Emma's eye-rolling because he knew she sometimes teased him, and he couldn't resist her little jabs.

"Yes, I am indeed very generous," he replied with a wink.

Emma looked at him with her famous pout, "Daddy, please! I found my very best friend today!"

"You shouldn't always use that puppy look," Thomas admonished with a slight smile on his lips.

"But Daddy, it always works!" protested Emma with a sweet smile reserved specifically for such moments.

Thomas shook his head slightly, but his smile betrayed that he couldn't really resist her puppy look. "Alright, you win," he conceded. He took out his pocket watch from his pocket, "This is an absolute exception!"

"Thank you, Daddy."

Thomas fastened his pocket watch to her coat, "Be back home at seven sharp. Not a minute later," and stowed the watch itself in her coat pocket.

A smile spread across Emma's face, "Promise, Dad!" and she hugged her father tightly. Thomas warmly returned his daughter's hug and held her close. "Take care of yourself, my little dwarf. I trust you, but I still worry about you."

"I know, Dad," Emma said softly. "But you don't need to worry; I'm a big schoolgirl now."

"I know," Thomas replied with an affectionate smile. "But still, be back on time, okay?"

"Yes, yes, I promise," Emma assured. She let go of the hug and ran off to enjoy the remaining time with her new best friend. The two girls played hide-and-seek, drew colorful pictures with chalk on the sidewalk, and played tag together.

As the sun began to sink slowly on the horizon, Emma knew it was time to make her way home. She wanted to keep her promise and be back home at seven sharp. She ran home, making sure not to dawdle to avoid wasting precious time.

Thomas was waiting in the servants' hall. The newspaper was spread out before him, and a cigarette glowed between his fingers. "Punctual to the minute," he observed, glancing at the large clock on the mantelpiece.

"As promised," Emma grinned proudly.

Thomas smiled and patted the empty space beside him. "To be honest, I had no doubt about that, but it's still an absolute exception."

Emma nodded before Thomas returned his attention to the newspaper until the new housemaid Jane asked him a question, "What about you, Sergeant? Do you have any plans for after the war?"

Thomas would have preferred to ignore her question, but since he promised his child to be friendlier, he answered irritably, "Not really, not yet," and put the cigarette between his lips.

"I know what you should do. I know what we all should do," Mrs. Patmore said.

"Oh, really? What is it?" Thomas asked without looking up from the newspaper.

"Well, hoarding," Mrs. Patmore said, gaining Thomas's full attention. "I could be wrong, but the rationing is slowly ending. Even with all the ration coupons combined, I couldn't get enough sugar for the week," she explained.

Thomas leaned towards Mrs. Patmore, aware that his daughter was in their midst. "Are you suggesting black market deals, Mrs. Patmore?" he whispered, exhaling smoke he had inhaled earlier. He held the cigarette further away from Emma, but he couldn't change much about the smoke escaping from his lungs. "I'm terribly shocked."

"Oh, I doubt that," the cook whispered, grabbed the empty cup, and left the room.

Thomas watched Mrs. Patmore thoughtfully as the smoke slowly left his lungs. The cook's words had piqued his interest. Emma was curious about what her father and Mrs. Patmore were discussing, but she also sensed the tense atmosphere in the room. It was evident that they were talking about something not meant for her ears.

Emma had been going to school for only two months when that evening, Lord Grantham appeared in the servants' hall with a joyful expression, "Excuse me for interrupting, but I have just received news from the War Office. I thought you would all like to know that the war is over... the armistice will begin on the 11th of November at 11 o'clock in the morning. We will start this momentous occasion in the hall, and I expect all of you, including the kitchen staff, footmen, and Emma - everyone - to be present there."

The joy and relief on the adults' faces were immense and almost indescribable. Some embraced each other, like Mrs. Patmore and Daisy. Others cheered and applauded loudly. Bates opened a bottle of wine. Emma felt Thomas lifting her and placing her on his hip.

"But what does it mean?" the girl's voice brought the adults back to reality. Pitying glances met her. At only 6 years old, Emma had only known the war; she didn't even remember a time without it. After all, the war had been part of her daily life for four years of her young life.

"Peace," was the only word Thomas managed to say. But that one word explained everything. He planted a kiss on Emma's forehead. "That's something good," he added quietly, meant for her ears alone.

Bates busily pouring wine for everyone. An exception was made for Emma, who received only a cup of apple juice from Anna. Glasses clinked together, and a cheerful "To peace!" filled the room. Emma raised her cup of apple juice and gently touched it against her father's. She felt the joy and relief in the air, and although she didn't fully understand the significance of the war's end, she rejoiced with the adults. The servants began to talk about their plans and dreams for the time after the war. As the celebrations continued, Emma felt safe and secure in her father's arms.

The days passed, and finally, the long-awaited 11th of November arrived. All the residents of Downton Abbey gathered in the magnificent hall to celebrate the beginning of the armistice. Lord Grantham spoke heartfelt words of gratitude and remembrance for those who had lost their lives in the war. Together, they observed a moment of silence, honoring the sacrifices made during the war.

As the bells of Downton Abbey struck eleven times, a moment of stillness filled the room. It was a moment of hope and new beginnings, leaving the past behind and paving the way for a new era of peace. For Emma, it was a significant moment, even though she couldn't fully grasp the depth of the events. She felt Mrs. Hughes' hand tightly holding hers and was moved by the solemn atmosphere. It was a moment she would never forget, one that stirred feelings of hope and anticipation for a better world within her.

However, after the Great War, a great hunger followed. Mrs. Patmore found it increasingly difficult to procure food. When Emma learned that Mrs. Patmore and Daisy planned to slaughter the rabbit, she had to intervene.

"Daisy!" Mrs. Patmore exclaimed, agitated. "I told you the stable door must always be closed!"

"I didn't open the stable door!"

"Oh, so you're telling me the rabbit opened it?"

"I certainly didn't."

"Does that mean we won't have a Christmas roast?" Mr. Carson stated in dismay. "This is a disaster!"

Emma listened with one ear to the conversation. She was supposed to be practicing her writing skills. It was amusing to hear Mrs. Patmore believing that Daisy had something to do with the rabbit's disappearance.

"Save your grin, you cheeky little dwarf," her dad sat next to her and lit a cigarette, "Do you plan to let us starve?" Thomas whispered directly into her ear. He smelled strongly of smoke, and Emma struggled not to cough. How dare her father talk to her while exhaling smoke from his lungs? Usually, Thomas tried not to smoke in her direct presence, and if he did, he certainly wouldn't blow the smoke in her direction. But judging by his expression, Emma was pretty sure her father was angry.

"There's enough vegetables for everyone," she replied softly. Mrs. Patmore still had a whole pantry stocked with potatoes, carrots, peas, and much more.

"You'll bring the rabbit back right now!" he hissed quietly.

"I can't. He reminds me too much of the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. You know, the cute rabbit with a waistcoat and a pocket watch."

"You'll bring our Christmas dinner back to the stable," Thomas repeated himself. Still not happy that the child had kidnapped the food and that the rabbit was now sitting on his bed. The cigarette glowed between his fingers.

"If you eat the white rabbit, I'll never forgive you!" Emma crossed her arms stubbornly.

"I could live with that," he said, pulling on his cigarette with relish. Emma snorted, gathered her things, and ran up the stairs to their room. With the rabbit sitting on her chest, she lay in her bed.

In her heart, Emma felt sorry for the rabbit. She couldn't let it be slaughtered, especially when it reminded her so much of the adorable character from the story she loved. Deep down, she knew her actions might have consequences, but she was willing to face them if it meant saving the rabbit's life.

She spent time with the rabbit, trying to make it feel comfortable and loved. It was her little secret, and she hoped she could find a way to keep the rabbit safe without causing too much trouble. As she lay there, her father's words echoed in her mind, "You'll bring our Christmas dinner back to the stable." She didn't know how she would resolve this situation, but she was determined to find a way to protect the rabbit.

"You're way too cute to be a Christmas roast. And what if you actually are the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland? I mean, the story is too crazy to be made up." Perhaps there was a rabbit hole nearby, and the Mad Hatter was eagerly waiting for her arrival, "Don't worry, I won't deliver you to Mrs. Patmore's kitchen knife, but I'm afraid my Dad might eat you up here anyway."

Hidden under her jacket, she attempted to smuggle her little guest out of the house, but it proved to be more challenging than she thought. The stairs, hallway, and kitchen were bustling with servants and kitchen staff, bringing lunch upstairs.

"Bring it back," Thomas whispered in her ear as he passed by, heading upstairs. Emma's hands clutched her jacket, as if she had a stomach ache, but in reality, she had to hold onto the rabbit to keep it from slipping out.

"Emma," Mrs. Hughes's voice sounded, "Could you please help me?"

"I'm really in a hurry, Mrs. Hughes," Emma explained, but the housekeeper persisted and led Emma into the sewing room. "The clothes need to be brought back up to Lady Edith's room. I can't manage it alone." She handed Emma a bunch of fresh laundry, adding to the already full load in her arms. She could only hope that the rabbit wouldn't get impatient...

An extra-large portion of Brussels sprout casserole was heaped onto Emma's plate. Emma swallowed hard. She hated Brussels sprouts. Why couldn't he put some fried potatoes or carrots on her plate? Why Brussels sprouts of all things?

"Don't mess with me, little dwarf," Thomas imparted a life lesson, "Finish it," he ordered.

"It's gross," she complained, but Thomas only smirked triumphantly, "I told you, always listen to me."

"Food is scarce - not just flour and sugar, but also meat. I'm just glad that the lamb wasn't set free for his lordship," sighed the old Mrs. Patmore, glancing darkly at Daisy, "At least they can still have a festive meal tonight."

"Don't look at me like that! I didn't leave the stable door open!"

"It was me," Emma intervened in the argument. She felt bad that Daisy had been getting into trouble for two days for something she started.

"And why would you do something like that, Emma?" Mrs. Hughes asked, surprised.

"Snowball looked way too cute to end up as a Christmas roast, and who knows, maybe he's still needed in Wonderland."

"Well, great," Carson threw the napkin on the table in frustration, "We have to do without our roast because the child believes in fairy tales."

"I wonder, who's telling the child all these fairy tales?" O'Brien commented, staring menacingly at Thomas. Thomas didn't care about O'Brien's gaze. Maybe he would have had to return the rabbit himself, and he would have had to lock his child in their room to prevent her from kidnapping the rabbit again during a night and fog action. On the other hand, the child had to learn from her actions and mistakes, and that could only happen if she saw and bore the consequences now.

"What happened to Snowball?" Anna asked, interested.

"I brought him to safety."

"Our dinner is hopping happily around the forest," Bates sighed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

507 19 14
What if Robert and Cora Crawley had a fourth daughter who were born in 1906 Gabriella is secret hero with Anne Shirley, Diana Barry, Ruby Gills and...
736K 23.3K 100
madison taylor, a 'slytherin' who was broken. who needed fixing. who needed someone to keep her in line. who needed someone. hermoine granger, a gry...
18.2K 361 57
[UNDER HEAVY EDITING] The little boy that Robert and Cora Crawley hoped for has safely arrived, making him the heir of Downton Abbey and not Matthew...
2K 23 17
This is the sequel to my other Downton fan fiction called, 'My Revolutionary Father.' But it can be read as a stand-alone. ...