Damaged Raven

By Luc1anjames

Dumbledore was surprised when Harry Potter, the boy-who-lived, came to Hogwarts. He expected a saviour, what... More

chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38
chapter 39
chapter 40
chapter 41
chapter 42
chapter 43
chapter 44
chapter 45
chapter 46
chapter 47
chapter 48
chapter 49
chapter 50
chapter 51
chapter 52
chapter 53
chapter 54
chapter 55
chapter 56
chapter 57
chapter 58
chapter 59
chapter 60
chapter 61
chapter 62
chapter 63
chapter 64
chapter 65
chapter 66
chapter 67
chapter 68

chapter 4

6.1K 156 35
By Luc1anjames

"Albus" Snape said as he saw Dumbledore entering his interrogation cell "finally, I was beginning to believe I would rot in here. What took you so long?" Snape said, as Dumbledore looked over the man. Currently his hands were handcuffed to the table and the chair he sat in looked quite old and uncomfortable.

"I have just been spending some time conversing with a few ministry officials" Dumbledore admitted "it has taken me some time to merely get a conversation where all of our words won't be recorded" He said before conjuring his own chair and sitting down

"Well, how long till you get me out of here?" Snape asked "When I get back to Hogwarts I intend to teach that Potter brat a damn good lesson!" He growled that last part as visions of torturing that hideous brat were gladly accepted into his mind.

"There's a problem with that" Dumbledore said

"And what's that?"

"I'm not sure if I should help you" Dumbledore said calmly

"What?!" Snape blurted out, looking at the old man in shock

"I trusted you Severus" Dumbledore said sadly "despite everyone else disagreeing with me, constantly I might add, I defended you. I defended you against the members of the order, my fellow colleagues at Hogwarts, the board and even occasionally my students. I did this because I believed that if you had simply let go of your petty grudge and hatred against a dead man, then you would be able to move on and eventually live a happy life. Sadly, not even I can help a person who refuses my help"

"Albus that arrogant child attacked me!"

"You tried to mind rape him" Dumbledore countered "not only a criminal offence that is highly frowned upon, but you decided to do it on none other than the boy of the prophecy, the boy-who-lived. To make matters worse you chose to do it in front of a classroom full of witnesses including some pureblood children who would have studied occlumency and when you realised that Harry had some mental shields, you didn't stop, you merely continued as if you were determined to beat him, an eleven year old child"

"I was showing that brat how to treat his betters!" Snape snapped and slammed his hands on the table in front of him

"Severus, I saw a pensive memory of what happened in that classroom, and before you say anything, I should add that it has been checked by multiple people quite a few times, including myself and it is definitely real. In that memory, what I saw was a man with no intention of changing barging into a classroom and attempting to horrify innocent school children. Do you know what it looks like to a casual observer?"

"No but I have no doubt that you're going to tell me" Snape glared

"It looked like a former death eater stormed into a classroom, insulted some children including and especially the boy-who-lived, who also happens to have most of his face damaged, which will bring him quite a lot of sympathy. You also insulted him and his father despite the fact that the boy had not acted against you in any significant way, you then tried to read his mind and when he fought back you continued trying until he attacked you in an attempt to stop. You tell me Severus, who is the one that people are going to favour? The burned child hero who is the last of an ancient and respected family which includes two war heroes or the half-blood former death eater that barely escaped Azkaban and tried to read a child's mind?"

"You...you're going to abandon me?" Snape looked at him with disbelief

"Severus, it would take me a great deal of time, money and favours to save you from Azkaban" Dumbledore sighed "it would then take a miracle to get you back into a teaching position at Hogwarts without the board and the parents demanding both of our resignations. Let's say that I do this, this will be what? Your third chance? I remember giving you a second chance all those years ago and you've blown it within an hour of meeting the one boy you knew would be the one responsible for the downfall of Voldemort. Should I give you a fourth chance? A fifth? A sixth? A seventh?"

"Dumbledore please" Snape begged

"Severus, did it ever occur to you that illegally invading a child's mind could have gotten you a life sentence and cost you your position as spy? When Voldemort returns, and we both know he will, you will be lucky if he merely let's you off with the cruciatus curse" Snape paled dramatically, if not for the severity of the situation, Dumbledore would have been impressed at how pale the man could turn "no, in all honesty, he is likely to kill you. You however didn't consider that, because you preferred to hold on to a grudge against a dead man and then transfer it on to a child who had never met him. It never occurred to you that the child was not a notorious prankster, you never remembered me telling you that he grew up in an orphanage and you ignored the clear signs of suffering shown by the fact that most of his face is damaged beyond repair.

What disappoints me the most is the fact that you also forgot that he is the son of the woman you've claimed to love your whole life, the woman who you led me to believe was the reason you had joined my side in the first place."

"Albus, you need me!" Snape decided to try a different method of persuasion "I am your spy! Without me you will suffer! You need me! I am far more important than that Potter brat!"

"Severus, after what you've done it is impossible for me to get you out of this" Dumbledore replied, looking at Snape with eyes full of pity "at best I am capable of reducing your sentence, I do believe in redemption and I would love nothing more than to get you out of here, but I can't. I apologise, it is simply out of my hands. Like I've said, at best I am capable of reducing your sentence. The only way you could possibly get out of this is to convince Harry Potter to drop all charges."

"Then do it!" Snape shouted "Get that infernal brat and make him release me!"

"Severus do I look like I have total control over Potter?" Dumbledore raised an eyebrow "As I have told you, I barely know anything about him over than what he looks like, the fact that he lives in an orphanage and regularly meets Bellatrix Lestrange"

"Lestrange?!"

"Yes, if you weren't so focused on your hatred of Potter you would've noticed a girl in your class that goes by the name Delphi Riddle" Dumbledore said "you're getting sloppy Severus" He added disappointedly "but yes, he is friends with her daughter, so that at least answers the question of who taught him occlumency. Who knows what else she has taught him? And I am not about to try and run off the saviour of the wizarding world and prophecy child to that woman simply because a man I had trusted couldn't control himself.

Besides, as I've said, I 'can't' get you out, not 'won't'. I have managed to delay your trial for a little while, I will go back to Hogwarts and try to convince Mr Potter of your importance and try to get him to drop the charges, however I wouldn't put too much hope on that Severus. I will be back soon, I hope you take the time to think about your actions and the consequences they have caused, not just for yourself but also me and the rest of the wizarding world." Dumbledore stood up and vanished the chair, he left before Snape could reply and made his way back to Hogwarts, hoping he would be able to convince Harry to forgive Snape.

"Are you alright?" Fay Dunbar asked Harry as she sat next to Delphi at the Ravenclaw table, Harry sat opposite the two girls with Shadow sitting on the table, eating the food that Harry had left for him "I heard about what Snape did, the whole school did in fact. Can't believe the bastard tried to mind rape you!"

"I know!" Delphi growled "and Dumbledore had the nerve to lecture Harry for it"

"Meh" Harry shrugged "doesn't really matter"

"Doesn't matter?!" Fay repeated with disbelief in her voice

"Either he stays in Azkaban or he comes back here, if he returns then he'll either practise some self control or I'll do worse"

"Potter" Malfoy's voice came from behind Harry. He turned, and saw Draco Malfoy standing with both of his goons. "You will pay for what you did"

"What exactly did I do?" Harry asked

"Don't play dumb Potter!" Malfoy snapped "You sent my godfather to Azkaban!"

"Who? Snape?" Harry asked "No, I sent him to the hospital wing, somebody else sent him to Azkaban. Besides, he tried to rape my mind, he should be appreciative that I stopped at all."

"You had better watch yourself Potter, I'm going to make you suffer!" Malfoy growled

"Tell me, Draco" Harry gently pushed his plate away as a smile made its way on to his face, he turned and stood up "Do you think that I fear you?" He walked forwards and stopped, right in front of Malfoy, a step away from crashing into him "Do you think I've never suffered? I know pain, I know suffering and I know how to give you tons of both. You don't know suffering. Push me too far though, and you will"

"I'm not afraid of you scar-face!"

"That's because you don't believe in me" Harry gave him a little smirk

"What?" A confused Malfoy asked

"You don't believe in anyone else being better, stronger. You were raised to believe that you were top of the mountain despite the fact that your father had probably wore kneepads everyday so he could always quickly bend down and kiss his masters feet. You're delusional, when your older, when you understand the real world, you won't look at me and laugh at my scars. No, you'll look at me and pray that I don't give you worse"

"Is there a problem here gentlemen?" Professor Flitwick said as he arrived on scene

"No" Malfoy glared at Harry "none at all" He said before walking away, Crabbe and Goyle following after him

"Mr Potter" Flitwick said to Harry "I must apologise but the headmaster has requested your presence in his office"

"Requested or demanded?" Harry turned to the Professor

"Well, his exact words were 'could you please go and fetch Mr Potter and bring him to my office', so yes I'd say it was a demand"

"Fine, let's go" Harry said just as Shadow flew to his shoulder "bye guys" he said to Delphi and the Fay before walking behind the Charms Professor who began leading him to the headmaster's office.

"Tell me Mr Potter" Flitwick said as they walked "what would have happened if it was a request?"

"I'm not the headmaster's friend" Harry replied "I have no reason to do anything because he asks"

"Hmm" Flitwick let out a small chuckle

"Ah, Mr Potter, thank you Filius, you may leave now" Dumbledore said as Harry entered "please sit, would you like a lemon drop?"

"No and I want to make it clear that the only reason I'm sitting is because I want to" Harry said shortly before sitting down opposite the headmaster "also I want Flitwick to stay here, that way if you also try to read my mind I will have at least one witness, now what do you want?"

"Mr Potter, I do not intend to read your mind" Dumbledore said

"Yeah, but you also said Snape wasn't a death eater, forgive me if I don't exactly have full confidence in you" Harry replied as he crossed his arms and Shadow nodded in agreement

"Very well" Dumbledore sighed "Mr Potter, I will be honest with you, I have asked you here to request that you drop the charges on Professor Snape"

"Albus!" Flitwick exclaimed

"Request, merely request" Dumbledore said to Flitwick before turning back to Harry "Mr Potter, I need Severus with me for multiple reasons."

"Is one of them a lonely bed?" Harry asked innocently

"Very funny" Dumbledore sent Harry a small glare before continuing "firstly Snape is, without argument, an excellent potions master"

"Also a horrible teacher and a first class, grade A, arse" Harry interrupted

"He was also my spy during the last wizarding war with Voldemort" Dumbledore said, ignoring Harry's description, despite how accurate it is.

"And I should care?" Harry asked "Being a spy does not translate into him being a good teacher, nor does it give him permission to invade minds whenever he feels like it. Besides, with someone that has a big as temper and little self control as him, do you really think he was a good spy?"

"Mr Potter, I believe Voldemort will return" Dumbledore admitted, once again ignoring Harry's words

"What?" Flitwick gasped

"I will explain it to you later Flitwick, I promise" Dumbledore said before turning back to Harry "I believe he is alive and when he returns I will need Severus to spy on him"

"And I should care?" Harry looked at Dumbledore unimpressed

"Mr Potter, the information he could bring could save many lives"

"I disagree, mostly because I doubt his competence as a spy" Harry replied "besides, what would it matter to me if Voldemort returns?"

"Mr Potter, he will try and kill you!" Dumbledore exclaimed

"Me and everyone I care about in a Fidelius charm in another country" Harry shrugged "a rather brilliant if oversimplified method of avoiding him, and seeing as I have very little people I care about I don't have much reason to care. Me, Delphi and her mum can easily get out the country. Plus you haven't really given me any reason to believe he is back, what makes you think he is still alive?"

"I have my reasons Mr Potter" Dumbledore said, he did not want to tell Harry about the horcruxes, not yet at least

"In which case I have my reasons for telling you that if they execute Snape, I will not be coming to his funeral" Harry stood up "though if he's sent to Azkaban then I will occasionally send a letter for no other reason than to annoy him, goodbye Professor"

"Harry please, it is important to have Severus released!"

"I will think about it" Harry said as he walked towards the door, he opened it then looked back at Dumbledore "I've just thought about it, my answer is 'no'. Goodbye" Harry said as he walked out of the room.

Harry was walking back to the common room when he heard someone calling him. He turned around to see a bushy haired girl walking towards him, she looked vaguely familiar, and currently she had three books tucked under her left arm and a stern expression on her face.

"Can I help you?" Harry asked

"You're not supposed to have a raven for a pet" She stopped in front of him and pointed at Shadow with her free hand, Shadow looked indignant and screeched at the girl, surprising her.

"He is not my pet, he is a familiar, and those are allowed and if you're competent enough then you'll be able to check the school by-laws and see I'm telling the truth" Harry said

"What's a familiar?" She asked

"Do I look like a teacher? Go ask a prefect or something" Harry said before walking off

"Hey!" The girl said, she quickly rushed forwards until she was in front of Harry, forcing him to stop "Don't walk away from me!"

"Well I lack the effort to run away" Harry said dryly "now, I don't know your name..."

"It's Hermione Granger"

"And I don't care enough to learn it" Harry continued as if she hadn't said anything "I have better things to do, things I'd rather do, than talk to you. Now excuse me"

"You're being awfully rude"

"You're being unbearably irritating. Now move"

"You can't talk to me like that!"

"You mean I shouldn't talk to you like that, either way I'm still going to do it. Now move"

"I'll tell off you"

"I'm shaking in my boots" Harry said sarcastically "Now I will assume that you're hard of hearing, which is why I will repeat myself once more. Now...move"

"You're Harry Potter, all the books said you were supposed to be a hero but you act like a bully and..." Hermione was cut off by a sudden pain in her scalp, she felt her hair being pulled and had no choice but to backwards, she tripped and landed on her bottom. Her books fell to the floor, she looked up to see Shadow fly back to Harry's shoulder and she quickly realised that the raven was the one that pulled her.

"Told you to move" Harry said as he walked forwards "as for those books, they lied, because I am many things but..." Harry kicked her fallen books away, he then pulled out his wand and fired a spell that barely missed Hermione and hit the floor next to her, causing Hermione to jump and a scorch mark to appear "I am no hero. Goodbye" He added before walking off.

"Severus" Dumbledore said as he entered Snape's holding cell

"Albus, my trial is tomorrow" Snape reminded him "they given me a potion to get rid of my mind barriers so they can use veritaserum on me, I will have to spend Merlin knows how long before I get them back to their previous strength, that can't be legal!"

"Unfortunately it is, it is rarely ever used but always in cases involving mind reading, as it is a major crime but there is no proof except to those knowledgeable in the mind arts and..."

"Enough with your lectures! Get me out of here!"

"Alas, I sadly could not convince Mr Potter to drop the charges" Dumbledore said sadly "I apologise Severus but you will have to suffer for what you've done, as I've said previously I can find a way to reduce your sentence and..."

"No! No!" Snape roared "You will get me out of here or so help me Merlin, I will tell everyone about that thrice damned prophecy!"

"Really?" Dumbledore froze

"Yes, free me!" Snape snarled

"Very well" Dumbledore sighed before taking out his wand, Snape smirked, glad to see that Dumbledore was finally freeing him. Or so he thought. Dumbledore quickly hit him with a stunner, causing the man to drop like a sack of potato's "I am truly about this Severus, obliviate!" Dumbledore said as he wiped Snape's mind of Dumbledore stunning him and of the prophecy, he briefly considered wiping his mind of the mind reading incident in class so he wouldn't admit to it under veritaserum but he discarded that idea immediately. There were too many witnesses and it would look suspicious if Snape couldn't remember. "My sincerest apologies Severus, I truly am sorry" Dumbledore waved his wand and made it appear as if it Snape had merely fallen asleep "goodbye old friend"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Dark By Alysha

Fanfiction

1M 34.5K 45
Don't read please. Thank you. Chaos and war had befallen the Wizarding World and there was little to no hope of saving it when Harry found himself ba...
431K 19.8K 37
After the war Harry distances himself from everyone, feeling empty. He spends a year in solitude, only writing letters to communicate. When he's fina...
6.7K 205 26
Stick anyone with the last name Weasley underneath the Sorting Hat, and without a doubt it'll shout "Gryffindor!" Unless said Weasley was Elizabeth W...
Apex By L.W

Fanfiction

268K 10.3K 52
By:Justbored21 Published with permission Harry has spent years pretending to be someone he was not, but in his fourth year he had finally had enough...