A Gambling Man // Ryan x OC

Від undercoverbookworm1

Everybody knows the Dutton Family but none of them have made a name for themselves quite like the youngest, M... Більше

Prologue
Her life
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
2: Prologue
2: Her Life
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
3: Prologue
3: Her Life
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
4: Prologue
4: Her Life
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
5: Prologue
5: Her Life
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
A/N
59

34

3.7K 115 27
Від undercoverbookworm1

Mae smirked as she felt Ryan wrap his arms around her and kiss the side of her neck. His arms were nestled under her shirt as he traced her sides with his thumbs.

"You're always so beautiful," he told her as he continued to place more and more kisses all over her. He had been extremely affectionate since he got back from the branding ceremony.

"What has gotten into you?," she laughed.

"It's just ever since that first attack I've felt like death has been haunting us and I want to spend every moment in blissful happiness with you that I can because I don't know when it will come knocking again," Ryan answered as he rested his head on her shoulder.

"Darkness has been looming over my family for years, Ryan. The stories I've read and heard about our ancestors like Elsa or Spencer Dutton, well they're bad enough to spread fear and admiration into even the toughest son of a bitch on this planet. I think it's one of the reasons why my dad refuses to give up this place, it would be an insult to their memory, to my mom's and to every other Dutton before and after us. I'm ready to fight for this place, even if I don't make it through to honour them, but I can't ask you to do the same."

"This place is your home, which makes it my home. I'm with you every step of the way and besides no cowboy worth his hat would go down without a fight," Ryan reassured her, "So how about another moment of blissful happiness before we go and face the day?"

Mae smirked as she turned around and jumped so her legs were wrapped around his waist and kissed him.

xxx

Mae and Ryan walked out of her room and down the stairs where they saw Tate playing with the puppy he rescued in front of Evie in her carrier. Gator was going into town today and was taking the little girl with him, he needed to stock up the fridge. Mae wasn't blind, she saw the looks Charlie and Gator had been giving each other and she wanted her best friend to be happy. Gator was a really good guy and he loved Evie. He was probably exactly what Charlie and Evie needed. That was why Mae switched Charlie's alarm for a later time and left her a note to tell her to spend the day with Evie and Gator in town and to not come into work or she would throw her with a shoe.

"Aunty Mae! Look at me!"

"That's so awesome, Tater-tot!"

Mae and Ryan watched as the young boy taught the puppy how to do some of the tricks Mae showed him with Willow and Archie. He was really getting the hang of it.

"You might be the next best up and coming dog trainer in the state of Montana," Ryan cheered the boy on and Mae felt her heart swell at the sight of Ryan with her nephew and niece. He walked over to Evie and handed her the baby rattle he spotted on the couch and the little girl excitedly started shaking it around.

"You're really good with them," Mae smiled as she walked over to sit beside him.

"I have no idea what I'm doing," he answered truthfully.

"Well you could have fooled me," Mae smiled as she reached up and kissed him.

"Ew!," Tate called out about the same time as Evie threw the rattle at their heads.

"Ours won't be like this, right? They'll let me kiss you?," Ryan asked as he stared at the children in disbelief and she laughed at him.

"I think the ew is normal, the rattle I'm not sure about," Mae replied and Ryan shook his head.

"I'm going to go get your smoothie, be right back," he kissed her head and jogged out of the room to get away from anymore flying objects.

Mae took one of Evie's bears and tasked Tate to pick up another one and the two held a small show for the little girl, who giggled and squealed every time they made the bears "talk". Tate's stomach then rumbled and Mae shooed him out of the room to get some breakfast.

"You really are the best aunt," Charlie walked down the stairs still in her pyjamas.

"Tell me something I don't know," Mae responded with a cheeky grin.

"And the best best friend," Charlie held up the note Mae left for her.

"You deserve it. You haven't been spending a lot of time with her and I think it will be good for both of you. I also think that she's growing out of her clothes too fast and will probably need more so this is a perfect excuse for a bonding experience in town."

Charlie wrapped her arms around Mae and kissed her cheek in thanks, right when Ryan walked back into the room.

"I think Gator is broken. He packed and unpacked Evie's travel bag three times, forcing me to stay in the kitchen to help make sure he had everything. She can't eat beef jerky yet, right?," Ryan asked.

"I better go help," Charlie laughed as she left the couple to help out the panicking chef.

"Mae come get your damn dogs!," Mae heard her father's angry shout from outside. He had a ball in his hand, Archie and Willow were running around him, waiting for him to throw it. Gus was watching from the porch.

"Why did you start in the first place?!," Mae called out.

"Because they brought the damn thing to me!"

Mae laughed before she called for them and they left John to come sit at Mae and Ryan's feet. All of her dogs liked Ryan but Willow basically loved him, she stayed at his side, when Mae wasn't on the ranch like glue. The rest of the wranglers have caught her on numerous occasions sleeping on Ryan's bunk in the bunkhouse when both of them weren't on the ranch. Mae knew she saw him as another owner and she loved it. Mae and Ryan bent down to greet all of the dogs before walking over to John, Beth and Rip.

"You ready for this?," John asked Beth. She had a plan to destroy Market Equities and with that look in Beth's eye, Mae knew that they had no idea what was about to hit them.

"They fucked with the wrong bull, Daddy. I'm going to avenge you, Little sister," Beth kissed both her dad and sister's cheeks before walking over to her car.

"Yes they did," John agreed.

"That thing you wanted back, I got it, want me to put it some place?," Mae's stomach slightly curled with the knowledge that they were referring to carving Wade Morrow's old brand off of him, before they killed him.

"Nah, I don't want it. I just didn't want him to have it," John replied, "He's not going to come looking for it, is he?"

Rip smirked as he chuckled: "No, Sir. That train only runs in one direction."

"You found out who was holding his leash?," John asked.

"Like Mae suspected, Roarke," Rip answered, "I don't know where he is."

"Roarke? Your ex?," John turned to Mae for clarification, who nodded and Ryan's arms tightened around her.

"Want me to start asking around?," Rip asked.

"Nah, no need. People lose their dogs, they ask everyone if they've seen them. He'll show up soon enough," John answered as Beth raced passed them.

"Yes, Sir. Let me know if you need anything. Ryan, drop her off and meet me at the bunkhouse!," Rip pointed at Ryan, who nodded.

"I gotta get to work too," Mae reached up and kissed John's cheek, just as Kayce walked out of the house. Mae waved at her brother before walking to her Jeep and Ryan got in a truck before following her.

xxx

"We've not had a quiet day like this in forever," Liam stated from his seat at her desk.

"It's quiet enough, are you sure you don't want to go join your family in that meeting?," Cowboy asked as he sipped his coffee.

"The last place I want to be right now is with my father, my sister. my brothers, my ex and a shit ton of lawyers. I trust my family they'll get the job done," Mae responded as she completed some of her outstanding paperwork.

xxx

Beth and John walked up to Jamie's office to see the team of Market Equities, Roarke included, Chief Rainwater and his team waiting for them. Beth and Chief Rainwater's lawyer had a plan, they're both brilliant at what they do and Market Equities weren't ready for the bomb that they were about to drop.

"Once the entire party is here, I will escort you in," Jamie's assistant greeted everyone.

"The entire party is here, I assure you," Beth responded as they walked past everyone else and into Jamie's office.

They ignored the secretary's attempt to stop them: "We're still waiting on the Governor!"

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," John laughed as he looked at everyone that was gathered together before walking into Jamie's office with Beth, the rest following them.

"Decided to start the day with a little theatre, did you?," John asked Jamie.

"Just a little," Jamie replied before walking past the head of Market Equities that went to greet him and instead greeted the governor.

"Jamie," she greeted back.

"Please have a seat. There's coffee, some orange juice and assorted pastries over there for anyone willing to brave gluten," Jamie offered.

"I, for one, am not afraid of gluten. Can you make me a plate, please, and some coffee," the governor asked her assistant.

"Well I say that we just dive in, Mrs. Hayes, would your team like to start?," The governor asked the CEO of Market Equities, who looked back at Roarke.

"The forest service lease has been secured," Roarke started as his team handed out files to everyone except John, who refused to accept them, "The FAA has approved both the airport and runway plans. Airlines have agreed to finance the build of their respective terminals, Our leases with retail vendors are in place, which allows us to fund the airport build without using state funds, which negates your requirement to put the bond on the valley because we don't need the bond. We just need-"

Roarke's words were cut off by everyone's phones going crazy over a breaking news story on CNC.

MARKET EQUITIES CEO ACCUSED OF WORKPLACE HARASSMENT BY 'JANE DOE' AND MAIN SHAREHOLDER ACCUSED OF HARASSMENT AND ABUSE BY EX GIRLFRIEND

"Mrs Hayes, is there an issue?," the governor asked.

"Problem Willa?," Beth asked as she smugly faced the CEO and whispered, "Take that you fucking bitch."

"Ellis, I uh, I need to step out for a moment. Roarke has the authority to speak on our position," the CEO attempted to walk out of the room.

"Roarke," John muttered, the name obviously meaning a lot to him, "Which one is that?"

"That's me, once you put a name to this face, you'll never forget it," he smugly responded as the CEO and most of her team left the building.

"Nah, I don't believe I will," the anger was clear in John's voice, anybody could hear it.

Roarke ignored him and sat down in the chair the CEO just left: "Now what this provides the state is the added tax revenue from the airport from ticket sales, car rentals, hotel taxes, fuel sales, and all with zero investment. It's a perpetually renewable resource that doesn't cost the state one dime which brings us to you, Mr. Dutton."

Roarke stood up and walked over to their visual aid that showed the Yellowstone ranch: "The land most suitable to the airport build, is this tract."

"If you're planning to discuss purchasing land from the Yellowstone, you'll need to discuss it with me," Jamie told him.

"Actually you have to discuss it with me. I have power of attorney over the estate," Beth responded.

"If the estate were in Utah. That's where you filed the documents, the state Montana does not recognise power of attorney issued by other states," Jamie fired back at her.

"The land is in Montana," John remarked as he glared at his adopted son. He made it clear to Jamie that Beth was the attorney for the ranch.

"But her authority is in Utah. I mean if she was an attorney, she would know that. As it stands I am the legal authority of the Yellowstone and I approve the sell of that tract," Beth and John glared at Jamie.

"The hell you will," John told him.

"Yes, I will, because if I don't the land commission will condemn it and you will get paid one tenth of what it's worth and you will lose millions on attorneys because I can not represent the ranch and condemn it at the same time," Jamie responded.

"Then don't condemn it," John told him.

"It's not my choice, it's her choice," Jamie pointed at the governor.

"It's your choice?," John asked her, "What do you choose, Lynelle?"

"There is no choice anymore, John. There are only options," she threw a file over to him.

"Could I see the environmental impact report?," Chief Rainwater asked from his seat at the back.

"The forest service report is in your packet," Roarke told him.

"Not the forest service report. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife report on the impact of an airport that feeds our oldest national park, the one flowing beside runway one right there."

"That will be the basis of our law suit in case anyone was curious," his attorney smirked from her spot next to him, "It will be a class action suit because it impacts native land and park land. We'll meet with attorneys from the greater Yellowstone Collison, Zeera Club, you know? All the gang will be there."

"Best of luck," Roarke smirked, underestimating the young woman in front of him.

"We stopped wolf hunting for a fucking decade. What do you think we're going to do to an airport? We don't need luck, see you in court," the native attorney smirked as she stood up.

"That's your angle too, John, how it will affect your land. Join our suit, it won't cost you a sent," Chief Rainwater walked up to John, "You won't have to hire an attorney, we'll do it for you."

"Besides we'll throw in a good old fashion domestic abuse case along with it and we sure as hell have a victim with quite the story, numerous hospital bills and therapists to back her up. Even if we can't stop your company, we can sure as shit stop you," Beth spat from her spot. The Chief and his group nodded at Beth and John before also leaving the room.

"A little curve ball from the reservation," John walked up to Roarke and pointed at their display of the Yellowstone, "That land is mine and no one can sell it but me and my youngest daughter."

"You can say that as much as you want but that land is mine and so is she," Roarke smirked at him, "Get it all out of your system."

"Lose your pets, Roarke?," John asked, referring to Wade and his son, resting in the afterlife.

"Mmh?"

"You think you're winning this game? You don't even know the goddamn rules," John glared, "But don't worry. I'm going to teach them to you."

Beth and John started to walk out of the door when John turned to Jamie: "You don't say hello. You don't say goodbye. Got nothing to say to me, Son?"

"He never has anything to say, Dad," Beth told John.

"Oh I have plenty to say Beth," Jamie remarked.

"Oh yeah? Well I'm all fucking ears," Beth and John waited for Jamie to say something but he didn't.

"That's what I thought but you know who will have a lot to say? Mae because I can't wait to tell her how her dear brother betrayed her today for siding with this scumbag, even after you knew what he did to her, even after you promised her that you would protect her home," Beth and John left.

"Well I say lets pull the band aid," Roarke said.

"Yeah the uh lawsuits are a concern though," the governor answered.

"We'll put a pipeline through their reservation. We'll do it with the army core of engineers. Talking about too big to fail, you're talking about us," he assured them before leaving with his team.

"That must have been difficult," the governor told Jamie as she stood in front of him.

"Not really," Jamie shrugged.

"Well one day he'll see. He and Mae will know that you did this for them."

"No I didn't," Jamie shook his head, "Not anymore. From now on what I do is for me."

xxx

The vet clinic became down right boring through out the day. Mae had no idea what to do with herself but Liam found out that Cowboy had no idea what The Vampires Diaries was and he wanted to change it. He sat his laptop up in Mae's office and they all sat in chairs watching the show.

"It's always the hot ones with that psychotic look in their eyes that can bring us down to our knees in seconds."

"Klaus or Kol?," Mae asked him.

"I know you're a Klaus girl but the correct answer is Kol, obviously," he responded.

"You're both wrong, it's Kai," Avery scoffed.

"Who the hell are you idiots talking about? I only see a Damon and a Stefan and I'm not a fan of either. Stefan looks like a fucking underwear model that's afraid to break a nail and that Damon fella has those crazy eyes," Cowboy scoffed as he shoved a handful of popcorn in his mouth.

"You've still got a lot to learn, Old Man," Liam replied.

"Who you calling old?," Cowboy glared but before anyone could say anything else, the entire clinic filled with smoke as smoke bombs were thrown threw the window.

Mae grabbed the handgun from under her table and rushed out of her office, locking the door to keep her staff safe. She noticed some dark figures walking through the fog and shot at one, hitting him in the shoulder. She took out two more before arms wrapped around her and a rag was placed on her mouth. Chloroform.

Not again, Mae begged as she struggled against the man holding her, getting weaker and weaker by the minute.

xxx

Rip drove on the road to the ranch trying to get in touch with any of the Dutton family but John, Beth, Mae and Kayce weren't answering their phones so he called Jamie.

"Hello?"

"Jamie, hey, I can't find anybody. Not Beth, not your dad, not Mae, not Kayce. Nobody."

"Rip, I don't think you should call me anymore," Jamie told him as he hung up.

Rip stopped the truck as he noticed an injured horse in the field and started chasing the crows away.

"I hate shooting horses," he muttered, "I would rather kill a thousand men than shoot another horse."

He inspected the gun shot wound on the horse's side before delivering the final blow to put him out of his misery.

"Now you can fucking eat him!"

As Rip walked away he noticed another group of crows circling above their field, something was wrong. He rushed to the truck and started driving in that direction.

What the fuck happened to the Dutton's?

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

18K 294 26
Katie had a really bad life before he met Raymond. He works for a big drug dealer, so they have some debates. Ray endangers Katie. But they are so in...
405K 8.1K 20
Delilah returns home with plans to just focus on her career and take care of her uncle, but it seems fate had other ideas especially with Jax Teller...
300K 5.6K 48
What if Andy had dark past before she became a cop. What if after her mother left she became a different person, so her father sent her to spend her...
926K 20.9K 76
And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness. Published: August 5, 2019 Completed: Apri...