A Gambling Man // Ryan x OC

By undercoverbookworm1

Everybody knows the Dutton Family but none of them have made a name for themselves quite like the youngest, M... More

Prologue
Her life
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
2: Prologue
2: Her Life
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
3: Prologue
3: Her Life
25
26
27
29
30
31
32
33
34
4: Prologue
4: Her Life
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
5: Prologue
5: Her Life
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
A/N
59

28

3.9K 128 19
By undercoverbookworm1

"I need you in there with me, Sweetheart, he won't be as anxious if he sees a friendlier face," John told Mae as she stopped next to him at the hospital. 

They had received the call that Jimmy was awake that morning and John needed to go speak with him. 

"Okay but now I'm going to be late for work and will have to pay for lunch," Mae laughed softly as she got out of her Jeep. It was a running tradition in her clinic, whoever is late pays for lunch that day. It was a little incentive to keep the students from being late. However recently with all the drama taking place surrounding her family, Mae was buying more and more lunches. 

"I'll call the diner and have them deliver some burgers and fries to you all on me," John offered. 

"No I can't ask you to do that. I have more than enough money and it's my clinic," Mae argued as the two walked into the hospital. 

"You never let your old man spoil you anymore," John grumbled. 

"Because I have my own money," Mae argued. 

"If you keep turning down my offers, I'm going all out for your future wedding," Mae blushed and laughed at John's words. 

"How about I pay for my own wedding and you contribute to the honeymoon fund?," Mae offered as she shook her head. 

"Deal," John nodded. 

"Why are we even talking about this? I'm not getting married any time soon," Mae asked as they walked into Jimmy's room to see him still asleep and sat down in the chairs next to the bed. 

"You have a love struck cowboy, I'm anticipating the day where he asks me for your hand," John grumbled. He was happy that his daughter was with someone that loved her but he still didn't like the fact that his baby girl will more than likely get married soon. 

"First Monica asked if I wanted kids and now you're talking about marriage. Why is my love life a common topic recently?"

"Well you and Ryan have been together both unofficially and officially for a while now and it's just about the time where people start to talk and expect it," John shrugged as he flipped through the newspaper. 

"I think we have more important things to worry about than my love life, don't you?," Mae asked as she rested her head on her father's shoulder to read the newspaper article with him. 

"Unfortunately, we do," John sighed. 

"Daddy I have to tell-," Mae was interrupted by Jimmy waking up. She wanted to tell her dad about Roarke but Jimmy had other ideas. 

 "Every road from the rodeo leads right here," John nodded to Jimmy who was laying in bed with a neck brace, breathing tubes and a wrist brace. 

"What day is it?," Jimmy asked. 

"Well it's pay day for the hospital, they won the lottery with you," John chuckled, "Sweetheart what's wrong with him, besides being an idiot." 

Mae lightly swatted at her dad's arm before turning to the younger man: "Jimmy you got hurt real bad. You have a compression fracture in your neck and two in your back, bone fragments pressed against your spine, they had to figure out how to get that out, they had to replace your hip." 

"Doctor said that you're the youngest person he ever had to done that with so congratulations for that, He wants you up and walking today, how that's possible I have no idea," John added. 

"It's because of his hip, Daddy, the sooner he starts walking, the sooner he will regain his strength. It won't be too far, just short distances and then some extra exercises to help his recovery," Mae explained to her dad before turning back to Jimmy, "You also have a grade three concussion. We're supposed to bring you back to the hospital if you experience any nausea or confusion." 

"I asked if there were any other symptoms since nauseous and confused is your natural state of being," Mae facepalmed at her dad's bedside manner, "They said your eyes might dilate so we'll be on the lookout for that." 

"What's wrong with my arm?," Jimmy asked. 

"They didn't mention your arm, Jimmy, but I'm sure that's just hospital procedure for someone that basically broke his neck and back," Mae added. 

"It must be fine," John added. 

"It doesn't look fine," Jimmy sighed. 

"Yeah well compared to the rest of this shit, it's fine," John scoffed. 

"How am I- How am I gonna pay for all this?," Mae could understand his worry. Wranglers, even at the Yellowstone, didn't make a lot of money, especially not a lower ranking one like Jimmy. He struggled even more since he had to give most of his money to the scumbags that killed his grandfather, Jimmy was in the simplest definition, dead ass broke. 

"Well the hospital is pretty curious about that themselves," John explained as he took off his glasses. 

Jimmy closed his eyes as he turned away from the father and daughter duo. Mae never had to worry about money and even if she understood his worry, she could never relate. Her family weren't billionaires but they have more than enough to care for themselves and the next generations, Mae and Beth even more so with their businesses off of the ranch. She didn't like the scared look on Jimmy's face so she nudged her dad to get him out of his misery. 

"Look at me," John ordered, "The hospital bills is not a concern but you've got to make me a promise. No more rodeo."

"It's the only thing that's ever- ever made me feel like I was worth something," Mae could see the tears forming in the kid's eyes and felt her heart ache for him. He's never had an easy life and she understood that the rodeo was his escape but if it was costing him his life, was it even worth it?

"Yeah well I figured as much," John indicated for Mae that they were leaving and the two got up. John took hold of the rope he brought from the ranch and threw it so it landed on top of Jimmy, who made a pained noise.

"Learn to rope, all you're risking is a thumb and you've got two of those," John referred to the roping part of the rodeo. 

"It's the much safer part of the rodeo, Jimmy, but just as exciting," Mae explained. 

"Mr. Dutton, Miss Dutton, uh, thank you," Jimmy called after them. 

"Yeah well, learn to rope Jimmy. I'm not paying for this shit twice," John chuckled as he opened the door. 

"Feel better soon, let me know if there's anything I can help you with and for the last time it's Mae," Mae called out as she left the room with her dad following behind her. 

 xxx

Mae had just finished the check up on Greg's bulldog, Betty. The old dog still had some life in her thanks to the love and care from her family. 

"Thank you so much, Miss Mae," Greg smiled as he picked his beloved Betty up. 

"Anytime, she's one of my favourite patients," Mae smiled as she scratched behind Betty's ear. 

"We'll see you next time," Greg smiled as he greeted everyone on his way out of the clinic. 

"What do we want for lunch?," Mae called out to Charlie, Liam, Avery and Cowboy. The old man finally took her up on her offer to work for her. Every single person had a different opinion, Liam wanted pizza, Charlie wanted tacos, Avery wanted sushi and Cowboy insisted that he was fine with whatever Mae wanted. 

"Delivery from Miss Dutton from Mr. Dutton," a knock at the door caught all of their attention. It was the young delivery boy from Mae's favourite diner, "Burgers, fries, onion rings and milkshakes for everyone." 

Mae chuckled as she shook her head. She should have known he would do this. 

"Yeah, thank you, let me just get some cash to tip you," Mae turned to walk into her office but the young man stopped her. 

"He took care of that as well but thank you Ma'am." 

Liam took the food from the boy and he greeted everyone before turning to leave the clinic. 

"I love your dad," Charlie grinned as she stuffed a handful of onion rings into his mouth and everyone made noises of agreement. 

Mae took out her phone and sent him a text. 

I told you not too but thank you for lunch, Old man, love you - Mae

Love you too, Sweetheart - John

xxx

The next morning Mae and Charlie got ready for work when Mae saw Rip walking over to one of the trucks. He had to go into Bozeman and she wasn't going to spend another day without talking to him. 

"Take my Jeep, I'm going to catch a ride with Rip," Mae threw her keys at Charlie before running over to Rip. 

"Rip!," he turned to see the blonde girl running over to him. 

"Woah! Hey what's wrong? What's going on?," his immediate thought was that something bad had happened. 

"What's wrong is that I haven't apologised to you!"

Rip sighed, he didn't want her to apologise. She's been through hell and back, he had no right to go off on her like that. She was a grown up and not that little five year old that followed him around the whole ranch. 

"No don't apologise," Rip tried to stop her but she didn't listen to him. 

"No, I have too. You taught me that no one should ever speak to me like that but that also means that no one should be allowed to speak to you like that, including me. I really am sorry, you're my big brother and you were just worried, I had no right to treat you like that." 

"I accept your apology, Cub," Rip smiled as he wrapped his arms around her. 

"I love you, Bear," she smiled as she hugged him back. 

"I love you too." 

"Love me enough to give me a ride to work?," Mae asked. 

"Yeah, sure, get in." 

"Lloyd and the rest of the wranglers meeting you at the auction?" 

"Yeah," he nodded. 

"There's something I have to tell you, Daddy, Kayce and Jamie. Only Beth and Ryan knows," Mae wanted him to know about Roarke. He's going to be pissed as hell but even more so if he found out from someone else. 

"Oh hell, you're not pregnant, are you?," Rip asked. 

"What? No! Why is everyone so obsessed with me being pregnant and married lately?," she asked. 

Rip just shrugged: "If it isn't pregnancy then what is it? I know it's not marriage because I'll wring Ryan's neck for not talking to me first." 

"It's not either, oh my gosh," Mae laughed as she shook her head, "And you leave his neck alone. I like his head where it is, attached to his body!" 

"Then he shouldn't be stupid," Rip added and Mae scoffed in response. 

"What I'm trying to tell you is actually something serious but you're making this really difficult," Mae pouted as she crossed her arms. 

"Okay, okay just start talking," Rip stated. 

"That company that's trying to build the airport and ski resort, they're kind of here because of me. My uh ex it's his company and he brought them here. He's been leaving me gifts and he's been telling Beth that he wants me back and I know that he's willing to do just about anything to make that happen." 

Mae watched as Rip's grip on the steering wheel tightened and she looked down at her hands: "I'm so scared, Rip." 

"He's fucking dead." 

"Rip-," He held up a finger to stop her. 

"No, you've protected him long enough, for some fucking reason. It ends now. You tell your dad and your brothers, soon, you hear me?" 

"Yeah," she nodded. 

"The moment your dad gives the word, he's dead. No more protests, no more trying to protect that asshole. I'm fucking serious, Mae, he's never going to hurt you again. He's your last breathing demon and we're going to fucking slay it." 

"I promise I won't get in your way," she told him. 

"Is he why you were struggling even more with sleeping and eating, why you snapped at me so quickly?" 

"I still struggle with sleeping and eating but I'm trying like I promised," Rip reached over to her hand and squeezed it, "But yeah, him being here made everything a million times worse." 

"We're going to get you through this," Rip told her and Mae nodded. 

"What did Ryan say when you told him?," Rip asked. 

"He doesn't want me to be alone anywhere. I'm pretty sure he would have tied me to a tree at the summer camp if he could," Mae chuckled. 

"I agree with him, I should put one of the wrangler's with you at all times," Rip muttered. 

"No, you need all the hands you can get on the ranch," Mae shook her head. 

"Fine, then Ryan will drive after you to work and back every day until this mess is sorted We can't have something else happening to you." 

"Charlie's already with me everyday," Mae added. 

"No offence to Charlie but that doesn't put me at ease in any way." 

"Yeah, I once watched her lose a fight with a hotdog," Mae mumbled in agreement and Rip laughed. 

"You just made my point for me." 

"Don't tell her I told you about the hotdog." 

"My lips are sealed," Rip told her as he pulled up at the clinic. 

xxx

It was only Mae and Charlie left in the clinic when two Yellowstone trucks stopped in front of the clinic. The girls immediately started to worry as most of the wranglers walked in covered in bruises. 

'What the fuck happened?," Mae asked. 

"I hope that you at least won the fight with how bad you all look," Charlie added. 

"You should see the others," Lloyd replied with a grin. 

"Lets take a look at all of you," Mae laughed as she walked over to Ryan and Charlie walked over to Colby. 

"It's just a busted lip, Darlin', Colby's hand is fucked," Ryan laughed as Mae started cleaning his lip. It was a small cut that would heal. 

"What happened?" 

"Couple of bikers trespassed on the ranch and we taught them a lesson. Rip thinks that they're going to come back tonight so he and your dad made a plan. We'll be waiting for them," Ryan explained. 

"Just promise me that you'll all be careful?," she asked. 

"Always, Darlin'." 

She placed a small kiss on his cheek before going over to the newest ranch hand, Teeter. She had bright pink hair that matched the bruises forming on her face. 

"I love your hair."

"Thanks, what do you know about that boy over there? Mama needs a new man."

Mae turned to see she was pointing at Colby. 

"Colby? He's Ryan's best friend and a sweetheart. He'll definitely treat you right when you can get through his hard to get façade," Mae smiled as she started cleaning Teeter's wounds. 

"Thanks, I'm Teeter, by the way," the pink haired wrangler greeted. 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Mae Dutton," Mae watched as the girls eyes widened in shock. 

"The boss' daughter?" 

"They youngest one, yes," Mae smiled. 

"My apologies Ma'am, I didn't know, I wouldn't have asked if I knew," Teeter stuttered. 

"Hey, no worries. I like you, don't go acting any differently around me," Mae smiled. 

"That's going to take some work, now that I know," Teeter laughed. 

"Then we'll just have to hangout and become friends besides I would love to swap some Texas stories." 

"You're from Texas?," Teeter asked sceptically. 

 "No, I'm from here but I went to university in Texas." 

"Hell I would love to swap some stories," Teeter smiled as she became more comfortable around the youngest Dutton. 

"Hey, Mae! No need to pretend like you can understand a word she's saying," Colby called out from where Charlie was tending to his hand. 

"Fuck you, you know exactly what I'm saying, Baby! Why don't you just stop pretending that you don't want me and come sit on Mama's lap," Teeter called back in her heavy Texan accent and Mae chuckled. 

"All of you calm the fuck down, we have to get back to the ranch!," Rip called out before turning to Mae, "Are you following us?" 

"I have to close up and Charlie has to go on a diaper run," she replied, "We'll be ten minutes behind you." 

"Ryan from tomorrow on, you'll drive with them to work and back," Rip told him and Ryan nodded before turning to Mae. 

"You told him?," he asked. 

"Yeah." 

"I'm proud of you," Ryan told her as he kissed her forehead. 

xxx

After the wranglers all left Mae urged Charlie to go buy the diapers while she quickly locks up, she was tired and wanted to go home. 

"Still as beautiful as I remember, Little Dove," a voice behind her caused Mae to freeze in her spot. 

"What are you doing here?" 

"Can't a man just come to visit the woman he loves?" 

"I'm not yours to love anymore, you fucked that up," Mae glared at the familiar face. He's aged, it was clear but he was still the same old Roarke. She fell for the man for a lot of reasons. She was young, impressionable and away from her overprotective father and brothers for the first time. He was the first guy to ever give her attention and didn't run away screaming from her families' threats because he didn't know them. He was her first in a lot of things and although she regretted everything now, she couldn't see the red flags then. She didn't know what grooming was and she definitely didn't know that, that was exactly what was happening. He saw her as someone that he could mould into his perfect woman, especially with the age gap between them. If it were anyone else his plan might have worked but she was a Dutton. She couldn't let him have any control in her life anymore, he wasn't important to her anymore. The whole time she felt this fear in the pit of her stomach but seeing him standing there in front of her, that fear turned into something else. Anger. It bubbled within her and caused her to grab the shotgun, her dad insisted she kept under the receptionist desk. 

"I suggest you fuck off," she glared at him. 

"You wouldn't shoot me, because a part of you still knows that you belong to me and you always will." 

Mae raised her eyebrow before cocking the shotgun and pointing it at him, on instinct he raised his hands in surrender. 

"I am nothing to you anymore. Get over your fucked obsession and move on. I am happy, I am with the man I intend to marry, the man that I want to start a family with, the man that I love more than I will ever love someone else, the man that I definitely love more than I ever loved you. Get that through your thick fucking skull and leave me, him, my family and our valley alone. Take your company and get the fuck out of Montana because you are not welcome here." 

"You're sister's going to regret fucking with my company, making my stock drop 7% and you're going to regret this. Whatever happens next, remember this moment, right here," he glared as he slammed the door on his way out. 

Mae let out a relieved breath as she sat down on the floor, the gun still clutched tightly in her hand. She barely even registered Charlie running into the clinic. 

"Did I just see Roarke fucking Morris?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

405K 8.1K 20
Delilah returns home with plans to just focus on her career and take care of her uncle, but it seems fate had other ideas especially with Jax Teller...
19.9K 940 32
When you really love someone, age, distance, height weight, is just a damn number. A beautiful and cute love story of a university student and a busi...
573K 14.4K 196
Shawn Trager has been around the Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle club most of her life. After the death of her mother, her father, Alexander "Tig" Trager...
68.8K 2K 31
She always had a one-tracked life planned out, she was going to be a surgeon and she was going to help cure or at least manage the very disease that...