To Capture A Bride

By the_atticwriter

|Updates every Tuesdays| "Come with me." I laugh and wipe the beads of sweat off my forehead. "And why would... More

Prologue ♡
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 28

49 14 0
By the_atticwriter

✿ Aileen's POV

“I've known you for just a few weeks and our paths won't cross when Anika finally dumps that Aussie in less than a month. Why exactly should I know or care how well you handle your liquor?!”

His voice rings in my ears as I mix in the melted wax with a few drops of eucalyptus and stir.

Was I unfair to him? And why did he get so mad?

I scratch my arm and set the mold to pour my last candle wax in.

I should find him and speak to him... clear out all misunderstandings before the party.

“Hello!” Sophie, Bonita, and Tracy greet in unison, filling into the back of my office where I make my candles.

I look up at them from my mold in suspicion.

“Hi?”

“Are you avoiding us, Lee?” Tracy asks, sliding her sunglasses down a little.

“Avoiding you? Why would I avoid you?”

“Well, then what are you doing here?” Bonnie asks.

I shrug.

“I couldn't sleep. And I also have a few orders of holiday candles so I thought I should get it started since I have time.”

Sophie picks up one drying wax and sniffs it before reading the label.

“Ouu forest pine. Can you make me some, Lee? And lavender.”

“Fifi, you're losing focus” Tracy nudges her.

“Right, right” She sets the candle back down and puts on her game face. “It's your engagement party today, Lee. You're supposed to be getting dolled up, not working.”

“Relax, I have time to do all that.”

“It's two-thirty Lee” Bonnie deadpans, “And I know you don't even know what to wear.”

Two-thirty? And she was right. I didn't have what to wear in mind.

Shit!

I undo my apron and Tracy hands me my purse with a smug smile.

“We'll clean up for you.”

“Thanks, Bon” I tell her.

“Drive safe!” Sophie calls out after me.

I make it back to the house in record time, strip and take a shower, attack myself with decent makeup, and rummage through my clothes for a dress.

“No,” I say, tossing one aside. “No. Also no. No” I throw another down.

I'm about to pick up a long red gown shimmering in the low lights when the yellow dress Reid got me catches my eye. I pick it up, move to the mirror, and hold it against my body.

It's all fake anyway. And like he said, in less than a month when Anika's fiancé is gone, I will be too.

“There's no use in putting all your efforts into this Lee. It'll all be for nothing” I mutter.

I toss the dress on the bed and swap the bra I have on with a strapless one. Then I put the dress on and zip myself up. Putting my hair in a maiden braid, I slip into some shoes and pick up my purse just in time to hear a honk.

Reid.

I turn off the lights in the bedroom and hurry outside the house, making sure to lock the front door. Reid doesn't look at me even when I get in his car.

“Hi,” I greet as I strap my seat belt on.

He slams his foot on the accelerator, ignoring my greeting.

“You know, when someone greets you the least you can do is respond” I frown.

“I didn't hear. Next time” is his curt reply.

I keep my mouth shut.

It's going to be over in less than a month. No worries. You're not engaging this asshole for real.

The buildings around us get taller and the streets get narrower. I glance at Reid who doesn't say a word to me the entire ride. His eyes are constantly fixed on the road.

Isn't that what you always tell him? To keep his eyes on the road? My conscience quips.

I sigh quietly and turn my attention out my own window, watching the crowds of people on the sidewalks coming in and out of businesses and apartments. I lean my head against the window and hum along to the low music on the radio. I don't realize I've zoned out the rest of the entire ride till I feel the car come to a stop. I look out the window and gasp sharply.

Holy shit!

A majestic building rises, and I can't guess how high it is, as it stands on a hill. Two men in uniform rush to open a gate that must weigh a ton and Reid drives up a steep driveway lined with palm trees.

This is what I'm fake engaging into?

The sunset makes everything even more spectacular, and the white marble shimmers in the golden glow. Huge white domes rise from the structure. I subconsciously count seven, but it looks like are more obscured behind the wall of even more palm trees that make up the perimeter.

As I get closer, the marvels keep revealing themselves. A massive pool of fountains rises out of the driveway which is more like a massive motorway than a driveway.

This is a bad idea.

“We're here” Reid finally speaks up casually as he makes the car come to a complete stop.

I clutch my purse and start to climb out, but I'm stopped by a tight hand around my wrist. It tugs me back into the seat.

“What happened?” I look down at Reid's hand and he loosens his grip.

If he felt this was a bad idea too then I was all for it to go back to our fake house.

“Aileen, I apologize” he speaks out.

I give him a confused look.

“What for?” I ask.

I lock eyes with him and the warm feeling I feared to feel creeps in.

You just admire him because he's surprisingly a good person. Nothing more.

I hold his gaze, trying not to flinch or look away. Reid's eyes leave mine and sweep across my face as if he's studying me.

“Everything” he sighs. “I know...” he pauses as if he's choosing his words carefully, “... I know it wasn't fair for me to drag you into this. It's my problem and I should have dealt with it the right way... like you said.”

I scoff lightly.

“You're helping me out too, Armani. It's the only way to make sure no one takes what's mine. And so it's perfectly okay.”

Reid shakes his head and an unfamiliar look comes over him. The slight slump I see in his shoulders tells me that he's not as cocky and disrespectful as he plays out to be.

“I'm truly sorry for dragging you into this, Aileen. Seriously” he says faintly.

There, I'm taken aback by the heaviness of the sincerity in the apology.

Is this why he doesn't say, 'Sorry' often?

A week ago, he seemed like the kind of man that never apologized. And yet, here and now, he was. Apologizing. With actual apologetic words.

I make a face.

“Ew, don't go soft on me, Armani,” I say. “What is this?”

His eyes move up to my face and he chuckles, the light returning into his eyes.

“Tonight's goal is to one-up your mother in her own house right? So please, pull yourself together” I play it off.

He smiles.

“Yes ma'am.”

“Now what do I call her on this special day? Portia? Mrs. Dalton? Or momsey?”

Reid arches an amused brow.

“I bet it would make her so happy if I said it with a little British accent... momsey” I demonstrate with my best impression of a British accent.

Reid chuckles.

“That is surprisingly good for a fake British accent” he nods.

“You want me to use it? Just say the word” I say, dropping the accent.

Reid fakes a gasp and dramatically touches his chest.

“Who are you and what have you done to my beautiful British fiancée?!”

“Oh, but it is I, Romeo” I dramatically play along.

Reid gasps again and then frowns playfully.

“You mean you've never been British?” he asks. “How deceitful.”

I crack up and he follows shortly after.

“Maybe I should tell her you're doing a musical so she should cancel the party,” I say as I step out of the car.

Reid follows.

“Or joining the circus. That would kill her” he adds, locking his car.

“Pfft!” I scoff. “You wouldn't survive a day in the circus.”

“Well I can't sing either so” he shrugs, walking around the car to my side.

Or play the piano.

“I could always teach you, you know?”

Reid smiles and holds out his arm to me.

“I'm holding you up on that promise.”

I smile back and wrap my hand around his strong arm... my fingers unintentionally feeling up his biceps.

“Ready to go celebrate our fake engagement, fake fiancé?”

He chuckles.

“C'mon.”

Reid leads me close to the building. As we near it, it finally hits me. This is all becoming very real. Too real.

Oh God.

The engagement ring on my finger seems to squeeze tightly until the tips of my fingers feel like they have pins and needles darting through them. My nerves take hold of me before I'm able to tell Reid to call the dinner off. My pulse begins to race and my nerves slowly turn to panic, as my legs suddenly turn to immovable stone, the second we're inside the grand foyer.

It's just a party! It's just a party!

Reid suddenly turns to me and I meet his eyes, a terrified look on my face. His eyes scan my face again.

“Hey... are you okay?” he whispers.

His hands graze mine and he frowns.

“Why are you so cold?” he asks.

I shake my head.

“I'm fine, Armani.”

“Are you sure?” he asks. “Because if you're not, I'll take you back right now. We wouldn't be the first people to not show up to their own engagement party.”

The fact that he's willing to end this show for me calms me down and I take in a few deep gulps of air, enjoying the rhythmic feel of my diaphragm expanding and relaxing.

“I'm sure. I'm tougher than I look.”

He scoffs.

“Well, you look super tough all the time so if you say you're good, you are.”

I chuckle. We enter the house and out into a huge garden that has people running around, trying to set up chairs and decor.

“We're early” I state.

“I know.”

I shake my head. Reid looks around the lawn and waves a guy in suspenders over.

“Oh Master Reid, welcome” he greets. “There's a big crisis. I need your help.”

Master?

“Oswald, what's going on here?”

“Since we started preparations last minute, we can fulfill some of your mother's requests and we're in a bit of a bog. For example, she wants these candlesticks... ” he shows us a picture of an elegant looking silver plated candlestick, “... but this is the closest among those that come” he holds up an equal looking one.

I step closer and take a good look at the candlesticks.

“I don't see any difference between these two,” I say.

“The one in the picture has a silver handle and this one has a dark handle.”

“That's the crisis?” Reid asks.

“No. But you know your mother. This is a small detail for humanity and a big detail for your mother.”

Reid checks his watch.

“I have a lot of work to do Lee. You can handle it.”

“Me?” I ask. “But—”

But he's long gone.

Just when I thought he'd gotten noble.

“Ma'am?” Oswald calls to me.

I sigh.

“Okay. These two are very stylish. Isn't there anything simpler?”

“Well there is but Mrs. Dalton—”

“Will be very happy that I made the choices” I smile. “I'm sure.”

Oswald looks uncertain.

“Well then, shall we?” I ask.

“Let's go.”

I walk around and point out what I like.

“Let's use these lamps.”

“Oh no, no. They're not among the options.”

“But I like them.”

“Ma'am, it's too... plain.”

I look at Oswald and step closer to him.

“Does it give bad light because it costs ten dollars?”

“Well, no.”

“Then definitely this” I whisper.

Oswald tugs at his necktie.

“Okay.”

“Any other problems I can solve for you?”

“Napkins, candles, and garden ornaments.”

I chew on my lip as I look around.

“This. This. And these” I point out.

“Hmm,” Oswald lets out.

I turn to him with a smile.

“See? Crisis averted. Aren't you relieved?”

“Yes, but Mrs. Dalton—”

“Tell Mrs. Dalton that her future daughter-in-law organized her engagement party in less than five minutes. Enjoy your evening Mr. Oswald” I smile and walk away, trying to find where Reid went.

Halfway across the garden my phone rings. I pull it out and laugh. Slipping onto a swing seat nearby, I answer it.

“Lee! Thank God you answered” Sophie pops on the screen. “We're trying to pick the right dress for tonight and as the bride-to-be, we need your input.”

I smile.

“Fifi, don't overdo it okay? You look amazing in everything.”

No need to get dolled up for this sham of a ceremony.

“Lee” she frowns.

“Okay, okay” I give in.

She smiles and props the phone against a pillow, tugging a dress out of Natalie's hand.

“This one has longitudinal lines. But I look tall in it.”

I smile as she grabs another dress.

“This one has strips and strips make me look fat and now I can't decide. Should I be tall or thin?”

I sigh.

“Be yourself, Fifi.”

She frowns.

That's your advice for me?”

Bonnie shoves her out of the way and holds up a gorgeous dress to show me.

“Forget about her Lee. Look at this dress. I bought it for the engagement” she grins.

“Bon, that's a very spect—”

“For close to ten grand” Tracy speaks before I get the rest of my words out.

“Hey, I wanted to tell her” Bonnie rolls her eyes.

“You spent that much on a dress Bonita?!” I exclaim.

“Hey relax. It's not like it's a dress for any regular day. It's for my daughter's engagement party. Why can't I treat myself?”

Frustration rushes out of my breath.

“Just wait until you see the shoes I bought. It goes perfectly with the dress.”

She holds a pair of stilettos at the screen.

“It is okay? Or is it too pretentious?”

I rub my forehead.

“Girls, this engagement isn't even that important and I wish you didn't have to spend that much money—”

“I'm not hearing any of this tonight Lee” Bonnie shuts me up. “I bought a matching pair for Cami and she's the cutest thing!”

“Girls, I am telling you, I have no clothes” Sophie sighs dramatically. “I think I need to do some last-minute shopping.”

“But hey Lee, tell me, do you like my shoes?” Bonita grins.

“They're beautiful and they'll look even better on you Bon Bon” I force my smile to not look sad.

“Okay now pay attention to the albino bestie, Lee!” Sophie whines. “Pay attention to me.”

“Fifi, you know I don't like it when you call yourself that in that tone. And what do you mean by you have no clothes huh? You don't need new clothes. You have a closet as big as my bedroom.”

“I know but I have nothing to wear. Also, what does shopping have to do with need?” she chuckles, sitting on my bed and picking up a pair of heels to show me. “Do these match my eyes?”

I smile.

“Yes Fifi, they do. And I think you should wear the blue custom-made dress your aunt shipped for you.”

She gasps and grins at me.

“I completely forgot about that dress, Lee. See one of the reasons why I loveee you?”

“I love you too, Fifi.”

“Okay now if you two are done talking her ear off,” Tracy shifts the phone to her, “What do you think of this hot number, Lee? It is too depressing?”

I shake my head, trying to get rid of the guilt.

“No, Tray. Black looks radiant on you.”

“I like that word. Sold!” she grins.

I smile back.

“Well, I gotta go. Give Papi a kiss for me, Bon. And I'll see you here okay?”

“Bye Lee! Love you!” they say over each other and wave.

I send them an air kiss and hang up.

“That was a long call.”

A small wordless scream escapes me as I jump and turn to find Clayton standing behind the swingseat I'm seated on.

“Hello, Lee. Nice to see you again. I trust you're well.”

“Considering the fact that you tried to give me a heart attack but failed, yes Clayton. I'm well” I reply, taking my hand away from my chest and standing up.

“Good. You look beautiful by the way.”

I cross my arms over my chest and he chuckles.

“I'm not going to take back my comment because you refused to acknowledge it.”

“How noble.”

He smiles.

“My aunt wants to see you. That's why I came. Didn't mean to startle you.”

I roll my eyes at the mention of Portia Dalton wanting to see me.

Let's get on with it then.

I gesture for Clayton to walk.

“After you.”

Thank you for reading!
Please don't forget to vote.
Ciao
~the_atticwriter

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

985K 39.6K 48
"Now since we are done with the introductions I have a question. Are you sure about this marriage?" I nodded "I am." He scoffed and leaned against th...
833K 25.9K 56
"Well I think the best option is that we should get married" I said breaking the silence. "Have you lost your mind" she yelled at me. "Look I know...
36.3K 393 48
"You can't be serious?" I stare at him in disbelief, blinking as I notice there isn't any sign of a lie. "Why would I marry you? I mean I see your be...
159K 5.8K 42
Highest Ranking #512 in Romance The song itself held so much meaning to our situation, so I committed it to memory, remembering each step and exactly...