My Only Hope(Newt x Reader)

By IDareYouToRead

Harriet and Sonya were the only girls from Maze B to make it out of WCKD, right?It was to late for everyone e... More

Introductions and Important Information
1) Still Alive
2) The Morning Trip
3) Separated Team
5) Adorable and Awkward
6) Unwanted Questions
7) Soulmates
8) Mistakes
9) Letters
10) Guard Dogs
11) Chains
12) Same Story Different Eyes
13) The Betrayal
14) Chaotic Duo's
15) Obvious Realizations
16) Guilt
17) Second Family

4) An Impossible Promise

140 6 0
By IDareYouToRead

By now we had all filled each other in on everything. At least, the important details. It turns out they were looking for Right Arm. I had explained that that's where I had been headed with Sonya and Harriet.

"Had been?"Aris asked.

"Yes. I was at one point. Now I'm just staying around here,"I explained.

There was clear shock on his face, and I don't blame him. It's not everyday you hear your friend isn't going with you to what is supposed to be guaranteed safety. I'm sure the fact that the place I'm staying is filled with danger doesn't help.

"You're really going to keep staying out here all alone?"He asked.

"Aris, I've grown used to life out here. I don't want to risk it all for a sliver of a chance,"I reasoned.

"Are you out of your mind? You're just going to live your life like this?"Newt added.

I put my hands on my pockets and shrugged. They looked at me like I grew three heads.

"Look, I'll send you all with whatever you need or want. You can stay for a while if you'd like, but I can't come. That's that,"I stated, getting up to pack some extra stuff.

"What about Ms.Cammie?"

I turned on my heels and stared at him.

"What about Ms.Cammie?"I asked.

"Maybe we could take them with us,"He tried to suggest. The thought was almost laughable.

"They don't want to leave. Don't you think they would have packed up and hit the road by now?"I pointed out.

"Have you asked?"

"I've had lots of time to learn about these people. It'd be weird if I didn't so don't waste your breath. Just accept my help before you leave or stay about a week."

Aris's P.O.V

I could see that Y/N was dead serious about this, but if she stayed out here she had a good chance of actually being dead. That sliver of hope she's talking about is still that. It's still hope.

"So you're saying it's better to stay here?"I asked.

She looked at me with skepticism knowing I was up to something.

"Yes,"She answered slowly.

"Then, I guess I'll stay to,"I told her.

She looked at me wide-eyed and horrified that I would suggest that. That's good because it's exactly what I want.

"Why would you want to stay out here?! Are you out of your mind?!"She exclaimed.

"Why not? You said it yourself. Why would I want to leave for something that might not be true?"I asked.

"Because you're with all these people. You have a mission. I quit mine a long time ago."

She was going to lose her cool at any second. I just need another push to convince her to come.

"I like the way you're thinking Aris. I think I'm going to stay to,"Newt added. I had to stop the grin threatening to make its way on my face. I was beyond thankful that he caught on.

"Absolutely not. I don't know if you've lost your minds or what, but you're leaving one way or another,"She argued.

"Why?"He asked.

"Just because,"She replied flustered.

"Why Y/N?"I asked.

"Because."

"Just tell us Y/N,"Newt pushed.

"Because it sucks out here. It's tiring, and you're always hungry or close to getting killed. You're always looking over your shoulder, and damnit you two are good,"She exasperated.

I looked at Newt and gave him a high-five. She turned around and glared at us, but it's still worth it.

"You two are going to do something with me tomorrow. Before anyone is awake I'm dragging you two with me. There's no choice either."

I'm not going to lie. These words did make me a bit nervous. She could be insanely petty.

"Really?"Newt asked, seeming excited. What did he know that I didn't?

"Yes Newt. Aris, I hope you can be bubbly in the morning."

"Him? Bubbly? Did you just imply that vent boy is ever bubbly?"Minho asked.

"Yes. He's not as bad as your Golden Retriever though,"She remarked.

"Who?"Thomas asked.

"Blondie over there is quite peppy."

"That's not bad,"Newt defended.

She rubbed her forehead close to losing her patience.

"I meant the same level. You'd be surprised. Now here's what we're going to do. You're all going to go gather backpacks, satchels, and all those good things. We're going to fill them with as many supplies as possible. Around noon we move out,"She directed.

Everyone glanced around at all the seemingly random stuff thrown about.
"We'll look at the stuff on the floor later. We're going to go break some random stuff in about half an hour. Are you all ready?"She asked, with a glint in her eye.

"Why do we need to break random stuff?"Teresa asked.

"We're going to have a little bit of target practice. If you find anything else that could be a weapon grab it. You never know what might be your thing."

"So your thing is throwing glass?"Minho asked.

"Wow. Your head really is only good for its hair, isn't it? My thing is whatever I can find. Glass is just easy to get your hands on. As I've demonstrated earlier stabbing is a good one. At least, we know you've got some killer strength."

With that she turned on her heel and went somewhere. Minho sat there with his mouth wide open. He was flabbergasted.

"Did I just get insulted and complimented in the same sentence?"He asked himself.

"Don't be surprised if she does it again,"I told them, before standing up.

"Where are you going?"Thomas yelled as I walked off.

"I'm going back to WCKD. Where do you think Thomas?"

"Wow. I think Y/N's a bad influence. I really hope she doesn't corrupt our Golden Retriever,"Minho commented. I didn't stick around to hear the rest as I kept going after Y/N.

It looked like she had vanished into thin air. Just as I was about to start calling her name I heard her mumbling to herself.

"Hey Y/N,"I called, sliding down a slab of concrete. She looked almost pale.

"What's wrong?"I asked.

"Nothing,"She answered too quickly.

"Are you sure?"I checked again.

She looked over my shoulder, and I followed her eyes. There was nothing there.

"I need you to promise me something Aris. You can't turn back on it."

My stomach dropped at the change in her tone. Whatever she was about to ask of me wasn't going to be light.

"It sounds stupid, but if I fall just run. They hesitated and nearly got killed."

"You don't really expect me to agree to this, do you?"I asked in disbelief.

"I am. That was my decision. That means anything that comes with it is my problem."

"That doesn't mean you can just expect me to leave you."

"With everything in my heart I am asking you to agree Aris Jones,"She pleaded.

I could see how torn apart she was. It was clear her voice was betraying the strength and calmness she wanted to have. "Please,"She begged.

She looked so broken at the thought of me saying no. I had to give her an answer.
"Okay,"I whispered.

There was relief on her face as she threw her arms around me. Without a second thought I hugged her back just as tight.
"Thank you Aris. You'll never know how much this matters to me."

I knew I wouldn't so I just stood there embracing my best friend. Even if it was the most bittersweet hug imaginable it was still a hug from someone I never thought I'd see again.

Later I could think about if I'd truly keep my word.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

306K 6.4K 39
☆~°His Cure°~☆ ☆~°Newt X Reader°~☆ ~°☆°~ (Y/N) was one of the first Gladers, she was only 13 when she arrived not long after Alby and Minho, Newt cam...
42.6K 1.2K 74
Jessie finally got used to living a life of survival with 50 other girls. For two and a half years she has lived, fought and survived with her best f...
3.4K 128 28
Book 2 of Nothing But Trouble They did it.They escaped the Spring.They may have lost friends along the way, but at least the remaining Icers were saf...
19.8K 379 30
Newt X fem. Reader TW!!!: mentions of self harm, suicidal thoughts and rape/attempted rape All around violence Horrible description of story: You're...