inspirations // harry styles

By perksofbeingaweirdo

After Harry continues to struggle to keep up with the others, the boys' manager suggest Harry get an inspirat... More

inspirations
chapter one // run-ins.
chapter two // companions.
chapter three // the first date.
chapter four // the first date {part two}.
chapter five // aftermath.
chapter six // beautiful night.
chapter seven // song writers.
chapter eight // blast from the past.
chapter nine // sogginess.
chapter ten // sticks and stones.
chapter eleven // big steps.
chapter twelve // distractions.
chapter thirteen // g.n.o.
chapter fourteen // g.n.o {part two}.
chapter fifteen // hungover.
chapter sixteen // the coffee house.
chapter seventeen // alicia.
chapter eighteen // fangirling.
chapter nineteen // more than words.
chapter twenty // time is ticking.
chapter twenty-one // i think we're alone now.
chapter twenty-two // insider information.
chapter twenty-three // good ol' bonding.
chapter twenty-four // make new friends, but keep the old.
chapter twenty-five // letting go.
chapter twenty-six // restless.
chapter twenty-seven // great news.
chapter twenty-eight // all or nothing.
chapter twenty-nine // too much celebration?
chapter thirty // distractions.
chapter thirty-one // i was made to keep your body warm.
chapter thirty-two // relief.
chapter thirty-three // tsunami tides.
chapter thirty-four // surrender up my heart.
chapter thirty-five // reaching the breaking point.
chapter thirty-six // make it without you.
chapter thirty-seven // stubborn.
chapter thirty-eight // doctors to heal the wounds.
chapter thirty-nine // you don't even know.
{epilogue}
TEASER - "The Traveller"
Author's Note!

chapter forty // blame it on the rain.

97.4K 1.8K 545
By perksofbeingaweirdo

Olivia's POV

Tea and I sit on the floor of Stuart's living room, taking a look at our demo sample. The corners of my lips turn up as I look at the picture of the two of us - looking a complete mess - giving the camera a cheeky, mischievous grin. It was a perfect demo cover for us.

I can feel Ed's eyes on the back of my head as I keep myself occupied, fumbling with the CD cases. Out of the corner of my eye I can see Tea's concerned brown eyes focused on me as well.

"Are you sure you don't mind, Olly? I don't have to go," Ed speaks over the soft buzz of the TV.

I turn to look up at my ginger haired friend, who looks down at me with utter conflict. His eyebrows are pushed together, pairing with his deep frown.

He's dressed up - well, in what Ed considers dressed up; a new sweatshirt and a clean pair of jeans - and ready to head out. Of course, Tea being the nosey one she is, asked where he was off to in such a hurry. He stuttered a bit before spitting it out.

Of course... Tonight's the big night for One Direction. They're performing their new album for the media before finishing up their tour. Harry had told me all about it before...

"Don't be stupid, go ahead," I scoff, but avoid looking him directly in the eye.

After Liam and Niall showed up at Tea's house, I thought I'd be able to make a solid decision, or at least have a handle on my emotions. But unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to be normal for once... If anything, it just made me more frustrated with myself.

I can feel the pain making an appearance on my face as I furrow my eyebrows, biting my bottom lip until I can taste a faint tint of blood on my tongue.

"I'm staying," Ed shakes his head, flopping down on the couch next to Stuart, who isn't paying any of us any attention. He's too focused on whatever soccer games on tonight.

My eyes dart up to meet Ed's stubborn and concerned ones. My frown deepens. Who am I to stop him from going out to support his friend? Him and Harry have been friends much longer than I've known either of them. To let mine and Harry's problem affect his life would just be silly.

But I know I'd probably do the same thing... What is it with the masochistic ways of humans? Why can't we ever do something to make ourselves happy?

Ed starts to kick off his shoes, getting himself comfortable, but I rush over to his feet, shoving his shoes back on. He shoots me a look, one reserved for the especially mad people.

"No, you're going," I state, stubborn as always; some things never change, no matter what happens.

Stuart drifts his eyes over in my direction, giving me a concerned look. I'm sure he thinks I'm loonier than a serial killer; this is all he's known of me. He's never seen me act normal. I can't even remember the last time I felt normal.

Normal just doesn't belong to me anymore, I guess.

"Olive, I don't want to go," Ed lies right through his teeth, making me roll my eyes.

"Edward, if you don't go, I'll pee on everything you own," I narrow my eyes and threaten him.

His eyes widen, being taken back by my comment. I hear both Stuart and Tea chortle with laughter. The tingles deep in my stomach come back. Wow, it's been a long time since I've made anyone laugh. I used to be so good at that...

"You're insane," Ed grins, shaking his head, but he gets up anyways.

Before he heads out the door, he gives me a comforting pat on the head, the corners of his lips turning up. I could see the gratefulness in his eyes, making me feel better about myself.

Perhaps somebody won't be miserable tonight, it'll be a nice change of pace around here...

Harry's POV

I pull the tight tie hanging around my neck loose as I take big strides down the empty hallway. Tears prick in my eyes as I hear our brand new CD play over the speakers of the lobby for all to hear.

Listening to the songs I wrote for Olivia literally cause me pain. I didn't care at all about the weird looks I receive as I sprint as fast as my legs will allow, out of the venue. There's no way I could sit here and listen to those songs full of memories.

The album itself is a reminder of the biggest mistake of my life.

Fresh air is the only thing I need right now, otherwise I'll be sick all over this venue and this obnoxiously expensive suit I'm stuffed in.

I push the heavy front door open, revealing a rainy night sky. The down pour coming from the sky doesn't hold me back. I step out and savor the sound of the raindrops hitting the pavement. It gives me the smallest sort of comfort.

But I deserve all this.

The only person that is at fault for this is myself; it's not Louis and Zayn's fault for convincing me to do this; it's not Summer's fault for revealing it all; it's not Olivia's fault for making me fall as hard as I did.

I'm completely responsible for everything.

Anger pumps through my veins as I let the raindrops fall down my face, hiding the tears that have joined them. I can't even look up at the night sky, knowing all I'll see is Olivia among the stars. I hate knowing she's under those same stars somewhere, not with me.

The stars went from being my second favorite thing in the world, to my least. It's the reason I don't go out with the boys as night. I'd rather shut myself in my apartment, closing all the blinds and pretending the stars and the moon doesn't exist.

I can feel the deep rumble of the thunder beneath my feet. My arms go limp at my side as I stand in the middle of the busy LA street. I close my eyes and let the rain hit my face, starting to shiver ever-so-slightly.

Whispers from those passing by me start to trail into my ears. I know it's not long before word of my breakdown gets out and every paparazzi company in the business is racing over here. Instead of hurrying inside, I tune it all out and outstretch my arms.

"Why?" I whisper into the rain, the drops hitting my lips, making me long for a certain pair of soft, pink lips once again.

With my eyes squeezed shut, I can pretend the raindrops falling on my skin is the tingles I would receive whenever she would touch me with her gentle fingertips. It's funny what has become of myself; forcing pleasantries with closed eyes. That's all I have left.

And if that's all I have left, I'll take it. I'll spend the rest of my life reliving this short-lived summer. Those nights I spent doing absolutely nothing with her; those nights I did everything with her; they'll all be replayed like the scenes of my favorite movie.

My knees start to buckle and shake beneath the pressure of everything; the pressure to keep going; the pressure to pretend like everything's fine to everyone in the world; the pressure to make things right again.

"Harry!" Louis' voice calls out the front door to the venue.

I glance behind me to see all of the lads and Ed looking at me with the deepest concern. They're flailing their arms aimlessly, trying to get me to come back inside. Zayn takes a step out of the door, towards me, and I take off.

I rush out in the street, darting my way through traffic. Cars honk at me and people throw up their middle fingers, assuming I'm some dumb teenager who's trying to be funny.

The lads all stand in the rain on the other side of the busy street, being smart enough to not follow my suit. I stand on a small, triangle-shaped sidewalk that divides traffic into two different directions. It's like a small concrete island in the middle of this bustling city.

My fingers grip tightly onto the streetlamp beside me, my heart race still speeding at a dangerous pace.

I don't even know what the hell to do anymore. I know I've lost it; nobody else has to tell me that. But I don't know how to fix it. I've given up on the idea of Olivia coming back into my life. Why should she? If I wasn't the sorry asshole that broke her heart, I would have told her that she deserved so much better. She does; she really does.

What makes me think that I deserve a girl as amazing as her? What have I done to earn that? Absolutely nothing. I had the privilege of being graced with her and what did I do? I took her heart and smashed it to a million pieces.

I suppose there are lessons to be learned, even though it may be the cruelest lesson on earth, I'll never make a mistake like that ever, ever again.

I glance over my shoulder cautiously, hoping the lads aren't still standing there watching me. Unless they're experts at disguise, they must have gone back inside, leaving me out here on my own as they should.

My shoulders shake from my sobs and the cold breeze hitting my wet body.

"Hey!" I hear a disturbingly familiar voice call out, not belonging to the aggressive paparazzi.

I curse my mind for playing such cruel tricks on me.

"Don't you have somewhere to be tonight?" The same silky voice rings out, sounding closer.

I don't want to look up, knowing I'll only be disappointed when I'm not blessed with the sight of her sparkling green eyes.

But I do it anyways, because I deserve the hurt and disappointment. I deserve to hear her haunting voice in my mind, knowing that I broke her.

So, ever-so-slowly, I glance up, my sopping wet hair drips into my face as well.

The air is sucked from my lungs as I stare at the sight before me with wide eyes. Is my sight playing tricks on me as well? Have I gone completely, and utterly mad? Will the lads have to admit me to an asylum instead of going on tour?

"Olivia?" I croak.

Standing in the middle of the busy LA street is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. The streetlamp beside me shines down on her as it had when I first met her. Cars honk as she stands in the middle of the crosswalk, right smack-dab in the middle of danger. But neither of us pay the impatient drivers any attention.

My eyes are on her and only her.

She's soaked to the bone as well, wearing a pretty black dress that clings to her body, making her look beyond incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if she just disappeared, like some figment of my imagination.

"You're going to get a cold, you know!" She shouts, pushing her sopping wet bangs out of her face as the rain continues to fall down on her skin.

My mind races with all the things I had planned to say if I ever got the chance to see her again. But I continue to stare at her with wide eyes and an open jaw.

Somehow, with help of some force deep within, I start to stagger towards her, my knees nearly knocking together. My fingers release the cool comfort of the street lamp and fall to my side, despite the strong urge pulsing within to run them through her hair once again.

Say something, you idiot! Say something right now!

"Olivia," I breathe once I'm mere inches away from her, a place I never thought I'd ever find myself again.

She looks up at me, her big green eyes reflecting the moon and the stars. I find myself becoming speechless once again. It's hard not to when you look at her face, lacking of any flaws whatsoever.

But this may be my only chance to explain myself to her. I had given up on the chance of having an opportunity like this and now as it's presented before me, my tongue is tied.

I've tortured myself for too long to give up now.

"Olivia, I was the biggest idiot in the world before I met you. I played with girls hearts like it didn't matter, but in reality it really didn't matter," I start and she frowns slightly, obviously not liking what she's hearing so far. I scramble to continue, "All those girls I played with didn't matter because you're the only thing that matters," I explain, reaching out and cupping her delicate cheeks in my hands.

I wait for her to stop me and run as fast as she can, but she doesn't. My heart beat in my chest thumps, trying to keep my momentum going.

"I was too stubborn to admit to myself that I had fallen ridiculously in love with you because I was scared. Everything in my life seemed right that I was worried I would mess it all up by falling in love. Little did I know that it would only add to everything right in my life," My voice shakes and cracks, my emotions over taking me once more.

As hard as I try to keep from crying, it's no use. Luckily the rain disguises my tears and allows me to go on without looking like a complete fool.

"I was scared of having something too perfect; you're too perfect. It scared me that I loved every little thing about you; from your cute little toes to the messy hair on your head," I rub circles on her cheeks with my thumb, seeing - with the help of the street lamp - a slight blush appearing on her cheeks, "I thought the only thing that was going for me was my career, so when that was slowly slipping away from me, I got desperate."

Painful memories of my stupid decision floods into my brain, causing me to cringe. From the look of sadness in Olivia's eyes, the unfortunate memories reach her brain as well; infecting the both of us.

"Then you showed up and were so different from any girl I have ever seen. You were funny, adorable, feisty, and the most fascinating thing I had ever laid eyes on. I should have known in that instant that you were going to take my shallow plan and rip it to shreds, which is exactly what you did," A small chuckle comes from the deep of my throat; an action I've been unable to produce in weeks.

I search in Olivia's eyes, wondering if any of this is actually registering. Trust is one of the most delicate things on this planet and I may have shattered hers too much for it to ever be repaired.

"Olivia Watson, I could care less if I ever write another song. I don't think I'll ever be able to without you in my life. You're all that matters. It's you. It's always been you even though I've been too much of an idiot to see that until I lost you. I love you more than music loves ears; more than throats love laughs; more than you love the night sky," I speak quickly, unable to get the words out fast enough.

My heart is pounding in my chest, as if it were ready to escape at any moment. My hands placed on the face of my entire universe shake, unable to hold still for longer than a moment. I search her face with desperation, hoping that all those words had the slightest effect. Even though I'm not great at these kinds of things, perhaps she has the tiniest bit of understanding what she means in my life.

If I would have blinked, I would have missed it all. Olivia's lips turn up slightly before she pushes herself against me; her lips gracing my own. Her arms snake around my waist as she melts into me. I kiss her as if this were the last time I ever got to, because when it was my last time, I took it for granted.

If she lets me, I'll love her like it's the last time for the rest of our lives. Love receives a new meaning when it's taken away from you.

Her familiar taste of sweetness on my lips warms me from the core. The cold rain and breeze no longer chills my skin. The temperature and weather becomes irrelevant; everything becomes irrelevant besides Olivia.

Much too soon, Olivia pulls her lips from mine. I feel the life inside me getting pulled along with her. Licking my lips to savor her taste, I open my eyes.

"Are you crying?" I ask her, feeling her shoulders shake beneath my tight grip. She sniffles slightly and shakes her head,

"It's the rain, you dummy," She lies, letting out a laugh.

Her laugh makes it impossible to do anything besides kiss her again; so that's exactly what I do. I pull her tight against me; two sopping wet bodies clinging to one another for heat and for love.

Being more aware of my surroundings the second time around, I hear cheers and applause all around us. This time it's me who pulls away first, not wanting to waste it all in one moment.

I look around with wide eyes, keeping Olivia as close to me as possible. Everyone around us has their eyes on the two of us. People are standing outside of their cars, clapping, letting themselves get wet along with us. Olivia lets out a laugh of disbelief. Even the paparazzi are acting civil. They aren't shoving cameras in our faces, instead they are smiling and clapping as well.

My eyes glance behind me to a familiar chorus of cheers. I see every single one of the lads; Louis, Zayn, Liam and Niall standing beside Ed as they clap and grin. Their smiles are so large they transfer onto my own face.

"Harry Styles, I love you more than I love the night sky," Olivia says once my eyes land on her again.

The grin on my face doesn't disappear, even when I bend down to kiss her again. I don't plan on it ever disappearing, as long as she's with me.

I had chased after Olivia with one intention, inspirations, and that's exactly what she is to me. An inspiration in every aspect of my life, but the main one turned me into the man I am today. She inspired me to go after love and let it take me, no matter how scared I was.

Now I'll never let her go, not until the moon stops living among the stars to return every night for us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN: jafd;sakdl;sfjadkl;sajfkdl;sajkfksdl;fakjdsafdjsaf;jdsa;fjds

That's what's going through my mind right now... I REALLY HOPE YOU ALL LIKED THE ENDING?! I got a little teary-eyed writing it!

If you did like this chapter (& the whole book for that matter) please leave a comment below! I don't think I've ever been so proud of a piece of my work before and I'm so incredibly happy to be sharing it with you lovely people!

An epilogue will be following, so until then!

Love always,

-Never_Let_Me_Go

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 120 25
After the boys demanded a bit of a time for themselves, their manager Will had an idea – Project Change. For one month they will go back to school, f...
14.3K 139 52
Hannah O'Reilly was just looking to see a One Direction concert with her friend, but that all changes when they meet the boys and are granted backsta...
1.1K 41 41
Niall and Lizzie have been best friends as long as they can remember. In 2006 they started dating, still going strong Niall does the unthinkable and...
59.9K 1.2K 30
Liam and Harry tried dating but they’ve drifted apart and Liam has eyes for someone else. Will he ever get to be with that person? Louis makes a real...