A Change of Plans

By RRunning79

After spending years trying to better the world as a U.S. Marshall, Anson Colter has given up on ever making... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Fifteen

116 12 1
By RRunning79

It would be winter soon. The nights were already becoming quite cool, but the house was sealed tight and it was small enough to be snug. It was on the outskirts of town, on a few acres. Just what she'd been looking for and she'd purchased it with some of the money she and her husband had saved up during the eleven months they'd been married. And she still had plenty to live on for a long, long time.

The wood pile was beginning to grow. The previous owner of the house had left a long shed that they'd stored their wood pile under to keep dry during the winter. It wasn't anywhere near being full, but it was a good start.

When Annie began fussing, she stuck the ax into the edge of the large stump she was using to chop the wood and wiped her hands on her apron. "I'm coming." She said. By the time she finished nursing, it was time to fix supper and she wasn't able to work on the woodpile any more that afternoon.

Every afternoon for the next few weeks, Henry stopped by to see if she needed anything. Even Maggie came over a few times, bringing doilies she'd made to decorate Olivia's new house and jars of fruit she'd canned from their orchard.

"Are you sure you don't need anything?" Maggie asked.

"Maggie, you and Henry have already done so much. I wish you'd let me repay you."

"Nonsense! We're family and about all the family you've got left. If we don't take care of each other, who will?"

"You have no idea how much I appreciate that." Olivia said.

"Any word from Anson?"

"No," she replied. "But I didn't expect any."

"That man must be clean out of his pea-pickin' mind!"

"Maggie, it's alright. I don't want someone who doesn't trust me. And I certainly don't want someone who doesn't like my daughter."

"Oh, he's so full of-,"

"Maggie!"

"He was so busy trying to convince himself and all of us that he didn't like babies that he didn't even notice the way his head spun around every time little Annie made the slightest peep! He kept a closer eye on that baby than you did!"

"Maggie, really!"

"Did he really say he doesn't like women?"

"That's what he told me. That he doesn't trust them."

"Well he certainly seemed to like you well enough. He stared at you the entire evening he was at our place. He didn't stare at you like that when it was just the two....well, three of you?"

"Not that I noticed." Olivia said. "He was just always reminding me that he didn't like me or Annie. Not that he specifically named us, but in a more generalized way, I suppose."

"Well I for one don't believe a word of it and I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up back here looking for you and that baby of yours."

"I don't think that's going to happen." Olivia sighed. "It's been a month. He's probably settled somewhere in California, like he said."

"So, you were a U.S. Marshall in Iowa?"

"Yes sir."

"For how long?"

"Six years. I was a Deputy Sheriff for two years before that."

"So you know your way around a town, then?"

"Yes sir."

"Can you handle a gun still?"

"Yes."

"Well, I'm retiring next month. Nobody around here seems to want the job, so we'll just see how you do as my deputy and if I like you, I'll give you my job when I step down. How's that sound?"

"That sounds just fine, Sheriff Jensen."

"Judge Morris will be back in town tomorrow. Come by around nine and we'll get you all sworn in and official."

"Thank you sir."

Anson stepped out onto the boardwalk and took a good look around. He hadn't really had a chance to take it all in before now. It seemed quiet enough .People walked up and down the street and along the boardwalk. A few wagons and buggies drove past, slow enough that children seemed to not think a thing of darting in and out in front of them.

He took a deep breath and let it out in a whoosh. He was surprised that he hadn't noticed before how much he liked this town. It was clean. The air was fresh, and the people seemed polite and respectful. He could definitely see himself making this place home.

Walking up the street, he found the boarding house Sheriff Jensen had recommended to him and he went inside. "Are you Mr. Lark?"

"Sure am. Needing a room?"

"Yes sir."

"How long you need it for?"

"I'm not sure yet. Can I pay for a month at a time? I'd be more than happy to let you keep the difference, if I leave before then."

"Sounds acceptable."

Anson pulled some money out of his pocket and handed it to the man. "Alright. Your room's up on the second floor then. Third door down. It's a nice room, overlooks the street."

"Thank you Mr.Lark." He took the key and went back outside. The weather was so nice it would have been a shame to spend it indoors. And with winter approaching, he was sure there wouldn't be many nice days like this one anyway. He walked down the street to the livery stable where he'd left his horse.

"Afternoon Mr. Colter." The young blacksmith said when he entered the large barn.

"Mr. Hawthorne."

"You back for your horse already?"

"Nope, just need my gear." He replied. "Got myself a room over at Mr. Lark's boarding house. Figured I'd get it out of your way."

"It's right over here. I put it next to the stall your horse is in." he said, motioning him to follow. "That's a nice horse you have there, too."

"Thanks."

"So you got yourself a room at Mr. Lark's? Does that mean you'll be sticking around town for a while then?"

"Might be permanent." Anson said. "Just talked to Sheriff Jensen. I'm going to be the new deputy sheriff starting tomorrow."

"Congratulations,"the young man replied.

"Thanks."

"Ah, here you go." Mr. Hawthorne said, picking up the pack and handing it to him. "If there's anything else you need, be sure to let me know."

"Thank you."

Olivia put on her nicest dress the next morning and carried Annie to church. Maggie and Henry were already there and moved over in their pew to give her room to sit.

"I was hoping you'd make it." Maggie smiled.

"I haven't been in so long, I was afraid I'd gotten out of the habit." Olivia sighed.

Little Annie slept through the entire sermon and was just waking up as the preacher said the closing prayer.

"Reverend Carpenter," Maggie said when they finally had a chance to speak to him afterwards. "This is Olivia Addison, our cousin and her daughter Annie."

"Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Addison." The preacher said, shaking her free hand. "Welcome to Stanton."

"Thank you. It's nice to meet you." She replied.

"Well, I hope to see you more often, once you're all settled." He said.

"Thank you."

Henry went to pull the wagon around as Maggie and Olivia stood out on the front step. "You'll come for supper, won't you?" Maggie asked.

"I'd love to."She smiled. "I don't think I've done anything except chop wood for the past three days."

"You should let Henry-,"

"No, Henry's done enough. I can chop wood just fine. It's just time consuming, is all."

"Well, there's Carl Brewster who lives just down the way from you. He's always offering to help people with chores so he can make a little money."

"I might just have to think about that." Olivia sighed. "That would give me more time to do everything else I need to get done, like finishing the curtains for the rest of the house. And cleaning. I really need to finish cleaning the place. It's so dusty."

"Why didn't you say anything? I would have helped you with all of that."

"It's nothing that I can't do." Olivia smiled. "You take on too much, Maggie."

"Maybe I don't have enough to keep me busy."

"You have a husband and two boys, not to mention a house twice the size of mine. I'm pretty sure you have enough to keep you busy."

Maggie smiled and helped her up into the wagon as Henry pulled up with the boys.

"Henry, it's snowing again." Maggie said with a sigh as she pulled the curtain back to look out the window. "Do you think you should check in on Olivia? Make sure she's got enough wood?"

"I just checked on her the day before yesterday." Henry said. "She's going to get mad if we keep bothering her so much. She had plenty to last her for months."

Maggie nodded. "Alright." Then she tipped her head. "Looks like someone's coming up the walk."

Henry went to the door before the person could knock. "Well, hello there Sheriff......Anson Colter! Come on in!"

"Mr. Colter?" Maggie exclaimed. "What on earth are you doing here? And in this weather!"

"Henry. Maggie." Anson said with a smile. "It's been a long time. I was actually looking for Olivia. Is she here?"

"She hasn't been here in almost two months now." Maggie said and she saw his face fall. "She bought the old Pierson place over near the end of town. Can I make you some coffee?"

"No, thank you Maggie. I need to see her."

"I knew you would." She smiled.

"The old Pierson place....that's at the end of Finn Road, isn't it?"

"Yes. It's the last house. White with a brown door. Can't miss it."

"Thank you."

"Are you in town for a while?"

"I'm actually here permanently." He said. "I'm the new sheriff."

Tears sprang into Maggie's eyes. "Well then, I guess you'd best go see Olivia and give her the good news."

Anson turned to go, but paused in the doorway. "Do you think she'll still want to see me?" he asked softly.

Maggie smiled and pushed him out onto the porch. "Yes. Now go on."

The snow was coming down thick, in huge flakes that melted on his face as he rode through town. When he reached Finn Road, he turned, following it to the very end where he sat atop his horse, staring at the white house with the brown door for a long moment.

He wondered if she was home. The windows were dark. The curtains all seemed to be closed. But he was already there, so he figured he might as well knock on the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162K 12.5K 56
Samantha has been running from a monster for a long while. Everyday she lives in fear of being found. She wonders if her life will ever be anything o...
502K 31K 33
An Outlaw's Silence (Wyatt's Story) ***Only a handful of people in Wyatt's life ever given a darn about him-because of that, Wyatt is extremely loya...
301K 13.7K 19
Cole Weston had lost everything he'd ever loved and for ten long years he's wandered. First as a tracker then as a bounty hunter until a small town c...
118K 4.1K 35
June Hazard grew up around bucking bulls her whole life. Her dating life is a lot less complicated than training and caring for over twenty of these...