The Tree Remembers

By EloiseMunson

Eddie Munson's back after leaving Hawkins for two years. He's desperate to get back in the swing of things, a... More

The King Returns
Pick Your Poison
Keep Protecting
The Melody
Shift Drinks
Why Do You Hate Me?
Clarity
Starting Fresh
Two Belle's
Ohio
A/N - Quick Update!
Just Friends
Seriously. Just Friends.
Boundaries
Jealousy, Jealousy
Multitudes
Wimp
Authors Note!
Tape World
It's A Start
This Is Not A Date
Pretzels
A Win Is A Win
Concoctions
Breakfast
Brick Walls
Pity Party
Lobotomies
Rhyming
Unless
We Like Sharing
This Kind of Happy
Concrete Girl
Brain Damage
Like Rabbits
Small Rooms
See You in the Hall

Great Expectations

577 53 17
By EloiseMunson

"Salt, shoot, lime," I giggled before lifting my shot glass. Eddie watched me, his eyes half-lidded, and ran his tongue along the inside of his mouth. The alcohol made me bold, made me less like the Ellie buried inside of me – but I still felt myself heat under his stare. His cheeks were pink from the drinks we had continued to share over shallow conversations.

"You think I don't know how to take a tequila shot, Belle?" he asked, leaning close to me. Instead of shrinking back like I normally would, I stayed firm and raised an eyebrow, keeping our faces close.

"I think you're afraid to take it, which is why you just keep talking about it," I shot back. Without waiting for an answer, I licked the salt off the rim of my shot, threw it back and sunk my teeth into the lime. I scrunched my eyes together from the burn, and when I opened them, Eddie was watching me with a dropped jaw. I smiled at him.

"If you aren't careful, I'll fall in love you," he quipped. I rolled my eyes and poked his chest.

"Take the shot," I ordered. He continued to watch me, and I gave him a shit-eating grin. "Or don't – pussy."

His eyes flashed but his grin grew. He took this shot without the salt rim. Instead of biting into the lime, he took the sides of my mouth and popped it open, setting the lime between my teeth. He tapped my chin and made me bite down on it, shocking me with his gesture. I felt my stomach flip-flopping at the swift movements and my heart started to pound when he set his mouth by my ear.

"To clean that mouth of yours out," he whispered lowly.

I felt heat creep up my neck and cleared my throat, trying to stay calm and collected. I tossed my hair over my shoulder and tried to hide my blush. Instead of moving away from me, he kept his lips close to my ear and traced the back of my neck with a finger.

"You've got tattoos all over," he commented quietly. I rolled my shoulders and leaned back, smiling tightly. He had noticed the script I had on the back of my neck. He winked at me. "Backing down now?"

"Don't want you getting any ideas," I quipped. I took a sip of my gin and tonic. "Not that you're capable of getting many of those."

He set his hand over his heart, scrunching his eyes.

"You wound me, Belle," he whined. He opened his eyes and flashed that smile again. I rolled my eyes.

"You're ridiculous," I commented. He winked at me.

"Just crazy for you," he flirted. I scoffed.

"Alright, kids," Grant sighed, sauntering over. "We've got to close up."

My eyes widened as I realize how late it must be and I shook my head. I had spent so much more time with him than I intended to. Grant had gone back behind the bar, helping Nick clean. I stood and felt wobbly as I gathered my bag. I felt a hand on the small of my back and felt my face turn crimson. I looked at Eddie, and he grinned.

"Just making sure you don't fall over, lightweight," he teased. I snorted and rolled my eyes.

"Better a lightweight than a pussy," I quipped.

He laughed and we started walking out together. I waved goodbye to Grant and Nick, glaring at Nick when he started making kissing faces at me. We got out to the parking lot and I stopped.

"We can't drive," I announced. He laughed and shook his head.

"We definitely can't drive," he agreed. I sighed and rubbed my face, now annoyed that I had let a wall down and decided to be nice to Eddie. He squeezed my elbow and I looked at him, shooting a withering glare. "Come on, I'll walk you home."

He started shuffling off, but I grabbed his arm, stopping him.

"No, no, no, it's okay, Eddie—"

"This isn't up for debate, Belle," he ordered, taking my hand and pulling me along. I felt my stomach flip at his resolution, and I dropped his hand as I started walking in step with him.

----

I felt like I was full of electricity and fire. I could feel the tension between Elle and I as we walked together, quiet as the warm night air blew around us. I wanted to take her hand again, I wanted to continue making her blush and flirt with her.

"What happened between you and Dustin?" she asked suddenly. I felt my stomach drop and looked down at my feet. It was silent for a beat. "I remember how close you two were when we were in school."

"Yeah, we were," I said sadly. I jammed my hands into my pockets. I sighed, my chest heavy. "I used to be an asshole."

She scoffed and I looked at her, smiling.

"Used to be?" she asked.

"Well, in your book, I still am," I joked. She smiled, nodding her head. She was so pretty right now, her cheeks rosy and dewy from the alcohol and constant teasing. "But I was a major asshole then."

She nodded, prompting me to keep talking. I shrugged.

"I thought for me to get out of Hawkins, I needed a clean break. I basically told everyone to lose my number and not talk to me. Dustin took that the hardest. He came to see me the day before I left, convinced that I didn't mean it. But I did."

"Jesus, Eddie," she murmured. I felt my face heat.

"I know. He's like a little brother to me, and I treated him like that," I said, defeated.

"And you didn't tell him you were back?" she continued.

"No, which was shitty. I was just overwhelmed coming back and with Wayne being sick, I was all over the place. It's not really an excuse—"

"No, no. It makes sense," she said, touching my arm softly. It felt like electricity. How could I have ever forgotten her?

"Yeah, but I messed up. I should have just bit the bullet and gone to see him," I replied. I shook my head. "I miss that kid a lot."

"I bet he misses you."

"As if," I scoffed. I looked at her, surprised with how kind her expression was. "Did you see how he acted tonight?"

"People don't act like that without some kernel of care," she replied. I saw my opening and leaned into her.

"Oh, is that why you treat me the way you do?" I flirted.

"There's always an exception to the rule, Mr. Munson," she quipped. I clutched my chest and stayed leaning into her.

"Does things to me, Belle," I flirted. She snorted and slowed to a stop in front of her building. I opened the door for her, and she raised an eyebrow.

"You don't have to walk me up."

"A gentleman would never leave a lady like this," I replied.

"Oh, can you show me where the gentleman is?" she asked, feigning innocence. I dropped my jaw.

"You are cruel, Belle."

She rolled her eyes but smiled, walking through the door. I followed her through the hallways, pausing in front of her door.

"How far is your walk back?" she asked. I licked my lips nervously.

"Oh, you know," I answered vaguely.

"No, I don't, which is why I asked," she replied curtly. I looked at my feet.

"Probably like an hour or so," I mumbled.

"Eddie! Why would you walk me back if it was that far for you?" she exclaimed. I shrugged.

"Just want to show you I'm not that asshole anymore."

She watched me for a beat and I studied her face. I couldn't discern what she was thinking. She sighed, pulling her keys out of her bag and opening the door. I watched her walk in, doing everything I could to take her in before my long trek home. She turned, setting a hand on her hip and nodding to her apartment.

"Come on – you're sleeping on the couch," she ordered. I felt my mouth dry and eyes widen. I felt like my ears were ringing. What did she say?

"Oh, no—"

"Come on, asshole – I'd feel a little guilty if you got run over or something on your walk home," she insisted. I grinned and stepped in, looking down at her as she locked the door behind me.

"Only a little guilty?" I teased. She shrugged.

"I don't want to set unrealistic expectations," she replied.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 238 28
Eddie would have to wait until his lunch break to see this new, hot, weird chick. He wondered which flavor of weird she was. Art weird? Theater weird...
164K 4.8K 52
Margot Patterson is everything that Eddie Munson is not, but everything that he is desperate to have. His friends know it, Hellfire knows it, and he'...
340 8 1
This takes place in and around the same time as s4 but without any of the Vecna stuff. I let them live a carefree life in this one! It takes some ti...
36.5K 323 75
THIS IS A TWO SERIES BOOK IN ONE! (2 in 1) πŸ«ΆπŸ–€ 𝐼𝑓 π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’ π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘Žπ‘‘π‘–π‘›π‘” π‘‘β„Žπ‘–π‘  𝐼 π‘Žπ‘š π‘π‘œπ‘›π‘ π‘–π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘¦ π‘‘π‘’π‘Žπ‘‘. 𝐴𝑛𝑑 π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ 𝑛...