Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

Part 4: The Space Wars

113 6 1
By KageNishi

Empire of the Solar System

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oort Cloud, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Far from the center of the Solar System, at a distance of 10.000 AU from the Sun, there is a region where small celestial bodies called the Oort Cloud gather. Within that region, a massive object hovered in hiding. Inside that object, there were sprawling cities. And within the command center that governed the cities, there was a majestic conference room.

"This is the third planet of the Orion Arm's Jerica Star System, Earth..."

"This planet is covered by 70% of uncontaminated water. It is also abundant with natural vegetation... Without a doubt, this is the most beautiful planet among the ones we have observed so far. It might not be an exaggeration to call it the most beautiful in the universe."

Approximately 13 billion people live in this object. The individuals gathered in this place are the leadership of the governing body that rules over this massive population.

"There is indigenous intelligent life on this planet. Recently, they have been rapidly advancing their expansion and colonization into space, but they have not yet achieved development in near-light speed travel."

"I see... So, as far as technology level is concerned, they are at the early stages of space exploration."

Directly above the round table where they sit, a hologram projected a blue planet. Surrounded by white clouds and blue seas, with green landmasses, that planet was undoubtedly the "Earth."

"The Union Council and the Queen's Court have decided to designate this planet as the destination for migration. We plan to send an envoy for migration negotiations," the moderator continued. He had blue skin.

"...I wonder if the people of Earth will agree?"

"This planet is a treasure of the universe. It cannot be allowed for a technologically backward primitive species to monopolize it," a middle-aged man with blue skin, like the moderator, smirked.

At the end of the 22nd century, the greatest crisis in human history looms over the Solar System.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 17, 2199

District 4, Suiryu, Capital of Mars, the 4th Planet of the Solar System

In the year 2199 AD, the intelligent life known as "humanity," born on Earth, finally expanded its domain to the Solar System. The day when ordinary people could navigate the vast expanse of the universe, the great ocean of the infinity, had become a reality. And on the red desert planet, Mars, orbiting just outside of Earth, towering skyscrapers had emerged, creating a dazzling night skyline. In a chaotic alleyway within that scene, constant gunshots echoed.

"Crush those Chinese bastards!"

"Go back to Brazil!"

The angry voices in Portuguese and Chinese emerged one after another. In this district, two factions were fighting for supremacy: the Chinese mafia and the Brazilian gangsters. Bullets flew indiscriminately on the streets where ordinary citizens also lived. The residents cowered inside buildings, praying for the violence to end.

Chinese Restaurant "Taoyuan," District 4, Suiryu

"...Gunshots again?"

In the back alley of the district, there was a Chinese restaurant. The gunshots pierced the ears of a busy girl working there, who leaned out from the front of the shop, observing the situation outside.

"Itsuki! Gunshots are as common as one or two in this city! Dead bodies as well! If you think too much about it, you'll be paralyzed! Why don't you quickly take the Mapo Tofu to Table 4!?"

"Ah, y-yes!"

The owner shouted angrily from the kitchen. The girl named Itsuki quickly brought the Mapo Tofu to the designated table.

"Thank you!"

"Wooh, looks tasty."

Two men with East Asian features who sat at the table picked up their chopsticks and reached for the Mapo Tofu in front of them. Meanwhile, faint gunshots could still be heard. The men started whispering in Korean. Itsuki eavesdropped on their conversation.

"The clash between the Chinese and the Latinos is intensifying in District 4. Tonight, the battle on Malacca Street will be the climax."

"The liberalization of gambling, the struggle for the gold vein, and the new frontier of the undeveloped territory, Mars is already being consumed by the chaos of Earth..."

"There is constant gang and mafia warfare happening somewhere every day in this city."

The men were concerned about the security on Mars. By the end of the 22nd century, humanity had expanded its operations throughout the Solar System. Each of the space cities became a melting pot of diverse races, and their security was deteriorating. Especially on Mars, which had possessed the same atmospheric composition as Earth due to the genetically modified plant called "Midori Sakura" from the 28th century, the entire planet became a human activity zone. In the capital city of 20 million people, Suiryu, individuals of different ethnicities established their territories, vying for dominance and engaging in conflicts. With a population of 1,4 billion, Mars had become the most dangerous planet in the Solar System.

Mouri Street, District 4, Suiryu

After finishing her part-time job at a Chinese restaurant, the young girl, Itsuki Okubo, dashed through the street where gunshots had been heard moments ago on her old bicycle and emerged onto a bustling main street. Numerous Japanese cars were driving along the road, but there was one conspicuously eye-catching sound truck among them.

"To the citizens of Suiryu, we are Martians! Let us strive for liberation from the control of the International Federation Space Development Organization dominated by the Japanese and the establishment of a new nation, the Martian Republic!"

Speech could be heard from the sound truck's speakers. It seemed to be a sound truck from the "Martian Independence Movement," which had been gaining popularity in recent years. However, Itsuki ignored it and parked her bicycle near a certain building.

Looking up at the building, she saw a cross standing atop a steeply sloping roof. It was a Protestant church in the Japanese district of Mars. Itsuki opened the front door and entered the chapel.

"I'm back, Pastor-san."

"Welcome back, Itsuki."

Although the lights were on, the chapel had a somewhat dim atmosphere. A strong-looking man dressed in subdued-colored liturgical vestments stood there. The man, called the Pastor, noticed Itsuki and smiled at her.

"Sorry for being late! I'll prepare dinner right away!"

Apologizing for her delayed return, Itsuki hurriedly ran towards the house adjacent to the church. Next to this church, there was a home where Itsuki Okubo, a 15-year-old girl who served as the assistant pastor, lived together with Pastor Sumiichiro Kashiwa. The two were not related by blood; they were just nominal housemates. Ten years ago, Sumiichiro had taken in Itsuki, an orphan of unknown origin, and their shared life began. Since then, he had raised her as a surrogate father figure, and Itsuki admired him as her "adoptive father."

The appearance of the house adjacent to the church was no different from a typical single-story Japanese home of the 21st century. However, in the kitchen, there was an automatic cooker, a technological feat from the 22nd century.

"Alright, let's see..."

Itsuki replenished the input port with a genetically modified crop called five-colored barley and other purchased ingredients, then pressed the touch panel.

"Italian for taste... 400 kilocalories."

When Itsuki set the taste and calorie count for the meal, dinner was quickly prepared according to her order. The main synthetic ingredient used was the five-colored barley, a single grain improved in the (alternate) 28th century to provide humans with all the necessary nutrients in one source. The food situation in space relied heavily on the single variety of five-colored barley, and processed derivatives of it constituted 95% of the food consumed by all space immigrants.

"Alright... Pastor-san! Dinner is ready!"

"Ah, thank you."

Sumiichiro was already sitting at the table next to the kitchen. Itsuki carried over the meal for both of them and took a seat across from him. The menu for the evening was minestrone.

"Thank you for the meal."

The two of them picked up their spoons and began to eat dinner. While engaging in casual conversation, they spent time together like a true parent and child. Through the window, contrasting with the old-fashioned and eclectic residential area, they could see a futuristic skyline dominated by towering skyscrapers. The capital of Mars, Suiryu, was a symbol of Mars' prosperity.

Initially, this city was covered by a massive dome for atmospheric pressure and temperature control. However, after the Martian atmosphere became comparable to Earth's, the dome was removed, and with the further liberalization of immigration, a diverse range of races flooded in. It had now become the largest extraterrestrial city with a population of 20 million. Suiryu became a melting pot of races, with various legal and illegal organizations entering the city. It continued to expand chaotically, leading to a significant decline in security, earning its reputation as the "most dangerous city in the solar system."

In such a city, the presence of orphans and street children was not uncommon. Itsuki, who was originally an orphan, had the fortune of being picked up by Pastor Sumiichiro, and that's how she had come to be where she was now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 17, 2199

Titanian Frozen Field, Capital of Titan, a Saturnian satellite

The population of lunar settlers surpassed one billion. Cities were constructed throughout Mars, surpassing the lunar population, with 1,4 billion people residing there. Above Venus, 24 floating cities floated, accommodating a population of 120 million. Bases and cities were established on Jupiter's Galilean moons, except for Europa.

And humanity had finally expanded to Saturn. Space migration was progressing rapidly, approaching a total of 3 billion. The foundation supporting humanity's space expansion was the 28th-century technology brought back by Japan from Terralus. People referred to Japan, which had expanded its activities to Saturn almost single-handedly, as the "Empire of the Solar System."

. . .

Empire of the Solar System

- Moon: 78 cities (1 billion)

- Mercury: 1 base (5.000)

- Mars: 92 cities (1,4 billion)

- Venus: 24 cities (120 million)

- Jovian System: 42 cities (300 million)

- Saturnian System: 10 cities (80 million)

Total of space migrants: 2,9 billion

. . .

The Empire of the Solar System or the Japanese Empire is a prosperous empire in the history of Earth, with a hereditary monarch called the Emperor as its head, both in name and reality. To circumvent Article 2 of the still effective Space Treaty, each space city is nominally under the governance of the International Federation. However, the Space Development Organization, which is involved in the IF's space development, is effectively controlled by the Japanese government, and its personnel are predominantly Japanese. Therefore, all space cities and bases are effectively under the indirect rule of the Japanese government through the IF.

Its territory spanning the entire solar system is undoubtedly the largest in human history. At the farthest reaches of this territory which had only been settled a few years earlier, in the capital of Saturn's moon Titan, called Titanian Frozen Field, a secret envoy from the IF had been dispatched.

They were sitting in the conference room of the administrative building in the central part of the dome-covered capital. The simple reception room had a table and facing sofas, where they, the representatives of the IF, were seated. Outside the dome, a methane storm raged.

"Our claim as Earth remains unchanged."

"...So, you will not accept our proposal?"

In front of them, another group was seated. Clad in unconventional ethnic attire, this group appeared to be no different from humans at first glance. However, some individuals possessed characteristics that differed from humans, such as skin color and ear shape. They were using simultaneous translation devices to speak in English. One of the members of the IF delegation, Brian Aihawood, continued speaking.

"The carrying capacity of Earth's population has already reached saturation point with the current human population. There is simply no room to accommodate an additional 13 billion people. Besides, Earth is our planet. Joint management is absolutely unacceptable," Brian conveyed the IF's stance.

The group in front of him uniformly frowned upon hearing his words.

"...We are not rejecting you. The International Federation is prepared to welcome the Space Drifters Union as a new member state. Although it may be difficult for all Union residents, if only for a privileged few, we can provide places of residence. For the other residents, we will offer other celestial bodies in the solar system."

Brian firmly conveyed the statement of the International Federation. It was the greatest concession reached during the four years of negotiations.

"That's not acceptable. As we have been saying all along, the Queen desires a future where all Union subjects can enjoy the abundant nature of Earth. There must be plenty of land on Earth."

"This is our greatest concession. Please understand..."

The representative of the opposing side responded to Brian with an arrogant attitude. However, the position of the IF delegation remained unchanged. Yoshitoki Sugihara, who served as the administrative chief of Titan and the Saturn region, was present at the meeting, his forehead covered in a cold sweat.

"...If you cannot accept these conditions, unfortunately, you will have to abandon the idea of migrating to Earth. When you have an answer, let's meet again."

With that, Brian and the accompanying members of the delegation left the room. Following them, Sugihara, the administrative chief of Titan and the Saturn region, hurriedly left the conference room. The remaining representative with blue skin on the other side brimmed with feelings of hatred and contempt.

"...Technologically backward primitive filth. Earthlings seem to think they are in a position to show mercy. We are the ones showing them mercy."

The man looked down upon humanity. Through long-term investigations, they knew that Earth's technological capabilities were far inferior to their own.

"What should we do? ...What about the decision of the Queen's Court?"

"Ah, the hesitant Queen's Court has finally grown impatient and decided that if today's negotiations fail, they will resort to military action... It's a warning to the stubborn and foolish Earthlings."

The man with blue skin chuckled. This incident was conveyed to their mother ship lurking within the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt, Outer Solar System

There is a group of celestial bodies called the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt located beyond the planet Neptune, even farther from the outer reaches of the solar system, consisting of numerous asteroids and dwarf planets. At the end of the 22nd century, in that unexplored region that humanity has yet to reach, a gigantic spacecraft is docked. It is about one-third the size of the Moon and comparable in size to Pluto's moon, Charon. Inside the ship, colonies have been established, housing a population of 13 billion people.

"Order to sortie from Her Majesty Queen Riza-Griant Alzawall and the Queen's Court. Union 4th Fleet, sortie from Gates 19, 20, 21, and 22. I repeat..."

With a ship-wide announcement, the numerous gates on the starboard side of the massive craft slowly opened. Within them, numerous spaceships were waiting.

"Union 4th Fleet... launch!"

These ships started launching one after another. They formed formations and steered towards the central part of the solar system, far away.

"Our target is the fourth planet of the Jerica System, Mazner. Conquer it immediately."

The fleet of spacecraft advances through the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt, forming a fleet. Their goal is the fourth planet of the solar system, Mars. At this moment, the prelude to the first interstellar war in Earth's history begins.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 674 119
Reincarnation of the strongest sword god fanfic when Shi Feng return to the beginning after fighting for ten years in greater God's domain
13.7K 222 116
Author: Bai Jiu Run a tavern and get more new items through gacha. Decorate your tavern, build farms and pastures, harvest a wide variety of produce...
212K 4K 174
An accident. She's pregnant. How unlucky. She got pregnant in one shot! What was even more unfortunate was that the end of the world had arrived, and...
2.5K 127 200
Author:Shen Tianyi, 神天衣 Alternative names:TLE, 领主之兵伐天下 Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Martial Arts, Wuxia Source:Gravity Tales Status:Ongoi...