Convoke

By SianaghGallagher

Tom has always treated demons like equals, but he never expected to fall in love with one. Not Ezra, who was... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62

Chapter 49

2.5K 230 55
By SianaghGallagher

Tom could barely concentrate on his evening shift. They had heard nothing about Othrowan's plans for the ceremony. Cal sat in front of him, looking a little better than he had in his previous days. He wasn't working today, and Tom was glad to have friendly company.

The pub was very quiet, but everyone who came in went straight up to Ezra, thanking him, as if they had always been nice to him. Locals who had once taunted the idea of fighting him were suddenly all smiles, and polite gestures.

"Fake twats," Cal mumbled, deep into a packet of ready salted crisps, and three pints of Carling. "So, when does he get changed back into an angel?"

"We're not sure. Othrowan promises soon, but soon is not good enough."

"I agree. He's been a demon for how long?"

"Just over a hundred years."

Cal whistled with surprise. "Far too long, then. That old angel needs to sort out his priorities."

"He really does." Tom sighed and leaned against the bar. He looked around, wondering how things would be when Ezra was an angel again. Would he be any different? Maybe more confident, and people would treat him with kindness. Would he still work in the pub? Would he still see him as often as he did now? Would he still want to help find the cause of the violence? Of course he would.

Tom smiled over at Ezra, who looked bored. He approached the bar to say hello and commented on how long he still had left of his shift. "This evening is going incredibly slow."

"I think that's because you're waiting to hear from Othrowan."

"If it's not done tomorrow, you should riot," Cal said casually, pouring the rest of the crisps into his mouth, and finishing his beer in four large mouthfuls. He slammed the glass on the bar with a large grin. "Another of your finest please, best friend."

I must ask about Gerry, Tom thought, keeping it to himself. As far as he was aware, the attacker's identity was still kept a secret. Tom hoped that wasn't Gerry's redemption. He still hoped that he would be punished for what he had done. Though he couldn't deny that he was grateful, no matter how much they forced Gerry to take part in the set up.

"Why have you still got your demon mark?" Finn asked Ezra, slurring his words.

"I'm still a demon," Ezra replied bluntly.

"But why?"

"Othrowan is taking his time."

"That old fart. Get him told. Or I'll get him told!" Finn raised his whisky glass. "Won't we boys!" The locals cheered, and Ezra's moody demeanour straightened out.

"Thank you. He might need a push to move things along quicker. Physically or figuratively, I don't care, take your pick."

"We've got your back, lad. I'd love to see him fall flat on his wrinkled face." Finn hobbled back to his table, so he could yell at the football.

The rest of the evening continued to drag. Each hour went slower than the last. Closing time finally arrived, and Tom went out to bring in the beer prices sign, pausing when a dark figure leaned against it. "Kie, hey."

"Hi Tom. Bad news I'm afraid. It seems like someone in our group was giving information back to the angels." Kie looked worn down to the bone, as if he hadn't slept in days.

"Ah." Tom crossed his arms. "That's why Othrowan knew we didn't trust the angels."

"Yes, and did you notice that they didn't sing their choir? That makes me nervous. I have a feeling they'll reorganise it. I really don't trust them."

"Well, we'll have to get this changing ceremony out of the way for Ezra first. He's desperate."

"Yeah," Kie said sadly. "Desperate to no longer be one of us."

"You said yourself that he wasn't one of you."

"It's just a little disheartening to see how eager he is to want to go back to his old life."

"Wouldn't you, if you had that choice?" Tom asked carefully, frowning.

"I don't have that choice." Kie stood tall, and curtly nodded. "I get it, but it still hurts. Just as long as he's still willing to fight for us, we have no problems."

"He will. You can always count on that," Tom promised. "Oh, wait! Who was feeding information back to the angels."

"The one who wasn't completely sold on the idea of working with an ex-angel and a human. Night Tom, I'll be in touch soon."

Tom watched him walk for a few metres, then disappear, the way Ezra did sometimes. He shivered at the sudden silence and collected the sign. When he turned, Ezra was leaning against the door, watching him.

"I guess you heard that?" he asked giving him the sign, so he could get the other one.

"I did. You're fiercely loyal."

"You'll always come first." Tom beamed up at him until Ezra's started to smile. "Come on you, inside. I'm tired now."

Ezra did as he was told and followed him up the stairs, grabbing his hips in a playful manner. Tom was grinning when they entered the bedroom, but he was startled to see someone else standing in the shadows.

Ezra quickly flicked the light on and stood protectively in front of Tom. "Othrowan, you creep!" he growled.

Othrowan sighed. "Look, I'm here because I know you're desperate for the changing ceremony, but it won't happen until next week. The other elder angels are busy, and this needs organising properly."

"I'm not waiting a week!" Ezra stormed up to him, and for once, Othrowan backed away. Tom could only imagine the wildness to his dark eyes. "You sort this out or else I'll go to each one of them and drag them here myself."

Tom felt the chills on his arms as Ezra's anger bubbled to a boil. He stood tall and big in Tom's average sized room. Nobody pulled at his anger issues like Othrowan, especially now. And nothing made Tom so aware of Ezra's big size than when he was losing his composure.

"I'm trying. That's all I can do right now," Othrowan said calmly.

"Try harder!" Ezra hissed through gritted teeth, stepping closer to force Othrowan's back to press against Tom's window.

"Ez," Tom said quietly. "There's nothing neither of you can do right now. Othrowan, please leave my house and never enter without permission again. Ezra, go into the bathroom and calm down."

Ezra backed away, purposefully not connecting gazes with Tom on his way past, just to avoid glaring his way. Othrowan bowed his head, and Tom flopped onto his bed when he was gone.

He untied his shoes and was changing into his pyjamas when Ezra returned with a sheepish smile and shy eyes.

"Sorry," he said quietly. "That just really wound me up."

"Come here," Tom whispered. Once again, they were lying side by side, frustrated by things that were out of their control.

"Do you think he's stalling for a reason?" Ezra asked.

"Do you think he would do that?"

"I do."

"For what reason?"

"I don't know," Ezra admitted. "But I think we should show him again just how much the people have power over him."

"Yes," Tom said, matching his defiance. "Though . . . tomorrow. I'm tired."

Ezra kissed him and leaned over to turn off the light. They tangled themselves around one another. And in the darkness, where not even the moon could enter, Ezra whispered, "I love you, Tom."

Tom felt the air in his lungs pause, while his heart skipped a beat. It had been a long time since he had heard that, and he didn't think Ezra would be ready to say that for a while. He didn't think he had quite made that impression yet.

"I love you too, Ezrakhell," he blurted, wide eyed in the darkness.

Ezra hugged him tighter, and whispered, "Good night." The tone in his voice told Tom that he was smiling. He could definitely feel Tom's fast heart against his own chest.

"Night." Tom pressed his face into Ezra's hair, and smelt him, and cherished his warmth, and tried to plant the ticklish feeling of stray hairs on his cheek deep into his memories.

After Kimberley, Tom wasn't sure his heart would mend fully enough to ever let anyone back in. He always thought he would go into another relationship wary and untrusting. He never thought he would meet anyone like Ezra, who had been through such horrors, and still had a big heart to share around.

Ezra had been wary too. Tom had found comfort in the fact that they were learning to trust from each other. He loved how Ezra had chosen him to expose himself to. Being wanted was a feeling that would never die. Like an eternal flame between two souls, destined to always burn bright.

He knew, lying in the darkness, being as close as they could physically get, that they would grow old together. He didn't know how everything would be okay, but he trusted the feeling. The way he would trust Ezra in every decision, and trust him to always love him, and to always keep him happy.

Closing his eyes, Tom had never felt so safe, and so at ease with another living soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.6K 2.3K 19
There had been a war between humans and demons for a few years now, but despite all that, Raya hadn't really heard much about it since he lived alone...
1.2M 42.6K 74
The Eyes Of The Devil What happens when Oscar Harris, an angelic boy living in his own personal hell, tries to escape his life of misery and stumbles...
4.5K 104 33
He's definitely enjoying the time of his life; he's good at school, a charming boyfriend, tons of friends, and yet sometimes he has that tiny flicke...
516 91 29
Young, sweet teenager Eros is reeling from the recent loss of his parents. As a result he has isolated himself from his friends, family and basically...