Loved by Fate ? - Adventures...

By Neferly

This is a prequel to the main story Fate is cruel - Magi [Sinbad x OC], that I'll start after finishing this... More

PROLOGUE
1 - A nameless girl
2 - Stories and name
3 - Welcome home
4 - A new life
5 - The wandering traveler
7 - The King's Power
8 - Farewell
9 - Departure
10 - Encounter on the Ocean
11 - The Rampaging Unicorn
12 - Mahrajan
13 - Assassin
14 - A Place to Risk One's Life
15 - Dungeon Bares Its Fangs
16 - Sham Lash
17 - The Djinn from the 6th Dungeon
18 - Dark Beast
19 - First Harpoon
20 - Last night in Imuchakk
21 - First Time Trading
22 - Trial
23 - Theatre & Household
24 - The Pure Land
25 - Artemyra

6 - Military Service

325 13 1
By Neferly

The soft morning light filtered through the small window, casting a gentle glow in the room. Yunan slowly opened his eyes, his gaze meeting Sinbad's as the young man approached him with a cooking pot in his hands. A yawn escaped Yunan's lips as he greeted Sinbad, "Good morning~. What a fine morning, huh Sinbad~?"

Sinbad smiled at seing him still slightly groggy from sleep. "Ah, morning, Yunan!" he replied. He placed the pot on the floor and reached for a bowl, filling it with steaming soup before handing it to Yunan. "Here, breakfast."

Yunan's eyes widened with delight as he accepted the bowl. "Wah! Thanks!" he beamed, gratitude evident in his voice. He started eating his soup, and somewhat seemed puzzled by it. Nevertheless, he appreciated the gesture and enjoyed the warmth it brought to his belly.

Observing Sinbad heading towards the exit, Yunan inquired curiously, "Are you going out again, Sinbad?"

Sinbad nodded, his eyes filled with determination. "Yeah, the port is crowded in the morning, so I can find work moving crates. I need to be able to make a living. Oh, by the way, Reana is still sleeping. She still has time before her shift at the tavern, so don't make too much noise, please. What are you going to do from now on?"

Yunan paused, contemplating his next steps. "Hmm... After I take a look around the village, I'll go back to traveling."

Sinbad's supportive smile brightened. "I see! Please don't hesitate to make yourself at home! Oh, yeah... Just so you know, we don't have any valuables here, so don't try anything funny!" he playfully as he stepped out of the house.

"I would never repay your kindness that way~!" Yunan protested.

Sinbad, already halfway out, seemed to have missed Yunan's response. "Later!" he called out, his voice fading as he distanced himself from the house.

"He's not listening..." Yunan muttered to himself, a bemused expression on his face.

From behind him, a feeble voice spoke softly, "Please don't think badly of him..."

Yunan turned around to find Sinbad's mother, Esra, sitting on her bed. "Ah, Sinbad's mother! Thank you for letting me stay yesterday. It really saved me."

Esra smiled weakly, her eyes filled with warmth. "Not at all... We don't have much, but we can't ignore someone in need," she replied, her voice tinged with a light laugh as she placed a hand delicately in front of her mouth.

Suddenly, her laughter turned into a fit of coughing, causing Yunan to jump to his feet. Reacting swiftly, he grabbed the nearby water jar and brought it to her. "Are you alright...?"

"Thank you... It's calmed down," Esra replied, her voice still a little shaky. "It's no good... Making our visitor worry. Ever since I've collapsed because of my illness, I've done nothing but make that boy worry... I'm thankful Reana appeared in his life. She is able to take his mind off his problems... He seems brighter thanks to her." Her gaze shifted to the sleeping Reana, a tender smile gracing her lips.

Yunan's worry was evident in his voice as he spoke softly, "I heard from Sinbad... It's a disease that, without medicine, you could die any day..."

A hint of sadness flickered in Esra's eyes, but she maintained a serene composure. "Yes... He's been working hard for my sake. He's a nice boy... Just like his father. He's already passed away, but he always used to say that Sinbad is 'gifted' with an innate disposition."

Yunan's surprise was evident as he asked, "A gifted... disposition?"

Esra nodded, her voice filled with a mix of nostalgia and affection. "It might have just been us being doting parents, but I too feel... he's a special boy. He's someone who has some kind of special ability... Special as he is... because of me, he's tied down to this village... It makes me a bit depressed... He even met someone special to him who could accompany him, but..."

Yunan listened attentively, his expression filled with understanding and compassion.

"Sorry for making you listen to my worries..." Esra added with a hint of apology. "I wonder why, though. I feel like I can talk to you about anything..."

Yunan's smile was warm and reassuring. "Is that so?" he replied, his voice filled with sincerity. Esra returned his smile, her eyes shining with gratitude.

Esra's expression grew more serious, her gaze locking onto Yunan's. "Because of that, Yunan, I have a favor to ask... If something ever happens to me... I want you to be the one to guide them, please."

Yunan was momentarily rendered speechless, his eyes widening in shock. "But..." he began, concern etched on his face.

"A traveler like you would be full of human experiences, unlike me!" Esra exclaimed, her voice laced with a hint of playfulness. "If his mother said something, he'll just think it's weird~!!" She laughed, waving her hand lightly as if dismissing any objections.

Yunan composed himself, a small smile gracing his features. "If you say so, I'd be happy to..." he responded, bowing his head respectfully. A sense of relief washed over Esra as she observed Yunan's willingness to support her son.

Just then, Reana stirred from her slumber and took a seat beside Yunan, two bowls of soup in her hands. "Morning," she greeted, her voice still tinged with sleepiness, as she handed one of the bowls to Esra. The girl tasted the soup, her expression turning into a playful grumble, "I told him to stop trying to cook. It has no taste... what a waste." 

 Yunan let out a chuckle at Reana's commentary. "Well, I have to admit it's true," he chimed in. Esra let out a small giggle, and Reana joined in their laugher, unable to maintain her fake displeasure.

"Well, I guess I should have woken up earlier," she admitted, a hint of self-mockery lacing her words.

The three of them sat there, bathed in the gentle glow of the morning sunlight. The room was alive with their laughter.

However, their laughter was abruptly interrupted by the sudden entrance of a woman from the village. Her frantic arrival cast a shadow over the room, her face contorted with panic. The atmosphere instantly shifted, and a hushed silence settled over the occupants.

"Trouble-!! There's trouble, Esra!! Sinbad is...!!" the woman blurted out, her words catching in her throat as she struggled to convey the urgency of the situation. The air thickened with tension, and time seemed to slow as the weight of her words hung heavily in the air.

----

In the village square, Sinbad was being held down on the ground by two soldiers, their halberds pressing against his neck with menacing force. Before them stood a young man with green hair, clad in gleaming armor, his sword pointed toward Sinbad with a haughty expression.

"I am the western region military commander, Dragul. I'll only say it once more... Sinbad of Tison village... you have received an official draft notice from the army. In three days, finish your preparations and enlist. Anything longer than that, and we'll come for you... Understood?" Dragul's voice dripped with authority and a cold indifference.

Sinbad, despite the dire situation, refused to back down. His determination blazed in his eyes as he mustered the strength to lift his face from the ground. "And if I said no?" he challenged, his voice filled with defiance.

With disdain etched on his face, Dragul looked down at Sinbad, delivering a vicious kick to his face. "Someone like you doesn't have the standing to refuse... This is a formal order from the military!" he sneered.

Yunan and Reana, having just arrived at the scene, were taken aback by the sight before them. Unable to comprehend the situation fully, Yunan turned to the villagers for answers, seeking understanding in the midst of chaos. "This... What exactly is going on?"

"Sinbad received the notice to enlist in the military..." a woman began, her voice filled with anger. "But when Sin refused... those soldiers started to get violent!" another villager chimed in, her voice quivering with a mixture of fear and frustration.

"What are you doing to big brother Sin?" a young child cried out, his innocence unable to comprehend the cruelty unfolding before him.

The soldiers, irked by the villagers' defiance and hostility, barked at them.

"Shut up! Be quiet!! What are you looking at!?"
"Get back to your own work!!"

 Being met with the hostile stares, they no longer pointed their weapons at Sinbad, so they could be ready in case of revolt. But the villagers stood their ground, their gazes filled with righteous anger and solidarity.

"Hmph... This village is nothing but women and children, huh... There isn't much workforce left in this village that we can use. We should report this to the higher-ups," Dragul remarked, his voice filled with contempt for the villagers.

"Yes, sir!" the soldiers replied in unison, their loyalty unwavering.

Sinbad, his face stained with dirt and blood, mustered the strength to call out to them. "...Hey... Wait...". He slowly got up and stared firmly at them.  "Just women and children...? Not much workforce...? Just what do you take us for...?" Sinbad's voice quivered with a mix of anger and determination.

The villagers were beaming at him, hope filling their eyes."Exactly as I said...?" Dragul said. "For a country, its citizens are a valuable workforce. Isn't it only natural for everyone to work blood, sweat, and tears for the war? You too, should learn what a real workforce is from observing other citizens... Which means military service!!"

Clenching his fists, Sinbad growled "The real workforce is... military service, you say?" Then higher "That's... not a workforce at all! My father was deployed and never came back... Along with all the other men in the village. We aren't just some tools for this war! I... There's no way I'll ever enlist!!"

The villagers were standing tall beside Sinbad, united in their resistance. They had been silent for too long, and now their voices rose as one.

"That's right..."
"Just what Sin said!"
"We've always felt this way!!"
"We aren't just tools for this war!!"
"This war just causes suffering for us!!"

Sinbad's words had ignited a spark within them, empowering them to challenge the oppressive system that sought to claim their lives. Their voices echoed through the village square, drowning out the arrogance of the soldiers.

The soldiers floundered in the face of the villagers' fervor. They exchanged bewildered glances, unsure of how to quell the rising tide of defiance.

"What's with them?" one soldier stammered, his confidence wavering. "The other villages obeyed quietly... Why are they putting up such a fight?" the other soldier questioned, his voice laced with uncertainty. "What should we do, commander Dragul!?"

But Dragul remained unfazed, smirking at Sinbad with a calculated superiority. "You can fuss all you want, but you can't escape drafting orders when they come... Right, Sinbad?" he taunted, rendering the villagers speechless and wide-eyed.

The commander continued, his tone smug and self-assured, "Understand? Partevia requires your services. You all should know already, the existence of 'the dungeon'. This country's magicians say there is a power residing there that far surpasses that of human intelligence. It is a power that can greatly influence the direction of this war. We must get our hands on that power, no matter what!! That is an imperial order from His Majesty!!"

"Sinbad..." he pointed a finger at the purple haired young an. "In the end... your father was deployed after all, right?" he taunted, his words a final blow to Sinbad's already fragile composure.

"In the end, that's how it is. You should know this," the commander added, his smug tone slicing through the air. With a smirk, he turned away and left, leaving behind a trail of despair and uncertainty.

As the weight of Dragul's words settled upon them, a sense of resignation washed over the villagers. They knew the harsh reality of their situation, the impossibility of evading the war machine that sought to consume them.

"... No way... No matter what we do, we can't escape the war," an elderly woman sobbed, her grief palpable.

"Even after everything Badr taught us..." a younger woman whispered, her voice filled with a mix of sorrow and anger.

Amidst the chaos of emotions, a young boy screamed, clinging desperately to Sinbad. "I don't want you to go, big brother Sin!!", his tiny hands gripping Sinbad's clothes.

A/N: Hello ! Another quick one with few changes. Enjoy :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 214 18
*I DO NOT OWN MAGI: THE ADVENTURES OF SINBAD I AM JUST A HUGE FAN AND SIMP OVER THE ANIME* *This is a OC x Sinbad* After Sinbad's trip to Artemyra t...
497K 8.7K 22
It's smutty...đź–¤ Zack x female reader based on the anime/game but I've skipped a lot of it to focus on the Zack and reader interactions... (and smut...
5.8K 190 20
It's is the year 3025, and the world is full of technology. However, 20 years ago, scientists discovered a gate. This gate opens into other worlds. I...
77.8K 1.7K 17
You are a girl from just a land unknown to humans but the only words you can remember are from your sister. "Protect your brothers as I couldn't, my...