Teenage Calamity โ”โ” MAYFIELD

By -pastelmic-

โthe lights spark and flicker, with monsters much bigger, than I can control nowโž Or where, Violet Harrington... More

TEENAGE CALAMITY
ACT ONE
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
ACT TWO
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
ACT THREE
032
033
034
035
036
037
038
039
040
041
042
043
044
045
This Might Not Be The End
046
ACT FOUR; IF WE HAVE EACH OTHER
047

031

526 20 25
By -pastelmic-

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE:
"Under The Stars."

     THE Snowball dance, the night that every young-teen in Hawkins Middle had been waiting for. The one night where all the girls get dolled up to impress the boys, and the boys put on their best suit and fancy shoes to impress the girls. The one night where you dance with your crushes, and boyfriends and girlfriends, and you get as close as you can during a slow dance without the worry of pissing off teachers.

Violet would rather stab herself in the eye with a fork than go to the Snow Ball dance tonight.

The very idea of going tonight leaves a bitter taste in her mouth, the last thing she wanted to do was spent a night at school watching her other classmates who were normal and heterosexual dancing with each other without a care in the world.

Meanwhile, she had to stand there and watch as everyone enjoyed themselves. Being free, happy, and dancing the night away. She couldn't have that happiness or freedom, no matter how much she wants it.

It simply wasn't allowed.

So it was safe to say that she was less than thrilled about going tonight, but she had already promised the boys and her parents that she would go. And while the boys would completely understand her not wanting to come, her parents on the other hand, they would not. Being a Harrington means you have one specific rule that you must always abide by.

Appearances. Are. Everything.

Her father owns businesses in town, and he was CEO of a handful of companies across the U.S. under the Harrington name. Her mother was a trophy wife, but also a criminal defense attorney.

To everyone in Hawkins their family was nothing short of perfection, hard working parents and their two perfect kids. Steve Harrington, and the second heir that they both so generously saved from the adoption system and welcomed into their golden spoon family.

Little did anyone beyond their small circle know that their family was anything but perfect. But the citizens of Hawkins couldn't know that, so skipping public events such as a school dance was not an option for Violet. She had to show her face and make sure that everyone was aware just how much the Harrington line we're thriving.

Missing the dance would have been easy for her, that is if her parents had stayed halfway across the county, wherever the fuck they were before.

But instead, they came home just in time for the Snow Ball dance, and the first thing her mom did when she arrived was pull Violet out of bed, practically drag her into town kicking and screaming —okay maybe she's being a little dramatic— and force her to go dress shopping with her.

She even made her sit in the nail salon and get her nails done, but atleast the upside was that she could get whatever color she wanted. And though her mother complained that she didn't get anything winter themed, or any kind of design, she walked out happy with her plain violet painted nails.

But that was a couple days ago, and now she was sat at her vanity in her room looking down at her chipped nails. Meanwhile, her mother was behind her droning on about her first Snow Ball dance when she attended Hawkins Middle school while she styled her hair.

Violet grimaced and winced at the pain every now and again, her mom was currently trying to stick hair pins into her raven-colored waves to keep the crown braid updo that she was trying to do held together.

"Ow, mom." Violet clenched her teeth, trying not to move and disturb her mother. "That really hurts."

Carrie sighs heavily, keeping her focus. "Beauty is pain, darling. It'll be worth it, I'm almost done. Gosh, you should've seen the hairstyle I had at the Snow Ball, now that was painful, this is nothing."

"Tell that to my scalp." Violet mumbled annoyedly.

Carrie tuts softly, "I hope you get rid of that attitude you've got before you get to the dance. Boys won't want to dance with you tonight if you act like that, dear."

Well, it's a good thing she couldn't care less what the stupid boys in that school think of her.

Violet pursed her lips tight, meeting her mother's eyes in the mirror. "Of course, mother. I'll fix my... attitude before I leave the house."

"That's my girl." Carrie smiled at her proudly, finishing her hair with one last stab of a hair pin into the updo. "Now, I'm finished." She steps back from her daughter, cooing at the sight of her in the mirror. "Oh, you look radiant, my darling! We're going to take so many photos!"

"Kill me now." Violet grumbled under her breath, "Seriously god, just strike me down right now."

"What was that, honey?" Carrie asked, resting her hands upon her daughter's shoulders.

Violet smiles thinly, shaking her head. "Nothing, mom. I'm just... thinking about how... good I look."

"Oh, sweetie. You look more than just good, you look beautiful." Carrie's smile falls as her brows furrowed, "Well, you'd look alot better with some makeup. But you're too young for all that, you're not quite of age just yet."

Violet's lips sealed tight, her irritation flaring up quick. Gotta love the back handed compliments, truly.

"I don't like makeup, anyway." Violet grits out, keeping her voice low and steady as she stood up from the stool sitting behind the vanity.

"Oh you will, dear. One day you'll realize that you can't live without it." Her mother claims assuredly, making her way out of her bedroom with a tug of her door handle. "Put on your shoes and come meet me and your father downstairs, we'll be waiting to take your pictures!"

As her bedroom door creaks closed, Violet huffs in annoyance. She didn't like her hair, she absolutely hated the dress, —it was a black short-sleeved button up top with a bow around the neckline, and a beige bottom with black butterflies decorating the fabric lining— and all she wanted to do was barricade her bedroom door and hide under her blankets for the rest of the night while the dance went on.

But that would only incur her parent's wrath, and that was the last thing she wanted tonight.

Violet sluggishly walks over to the box that's placed on her bed, her mom had rummaged through her closet to find the best pair of shoes for tonight. The shoes happened to be a pair of black wedges that she had stored in the very back of her closet, she forgot those shoes even existed. She opens up the box and scowls at the wedges inside, then she pulls them out and placed them to her hard wood floor.

She slips her feet one by one into the wedged heels, buckling the thin strap around her ankle and tightening it just enough so it's not too tight or too loose on her foot. A huff escaped her lips as she rose to her feet in the heels, they already ached and she hadn't even moved in them yet.

This would not do.

She makes her over to her desk table and grabs at her walkie, she switches the channels around with the knob until she found the specific one she was looking for. She pressed the side talk button the walkie, holding it up to her mouth to speak.

"Steve, it's Vi. Do you copy?"

A few seconds passed, then she heard the screech of static on the other end.

"I copy, Tink." Steve answered, "What's wrong?"

She sighs heavily, dropping into her desk chair. "Mom is making me wear heels, I swear to god I'm gonna break an ankle and die tonight."

Steve snorted, "You're so dramatic." Violet's eyes rolled skyward, he was right but her point still stands. "But I know that you're worried about this so... what do I need to do?"

Shortly after her talk with Steve she grabs her mini bag and stuffs her walkie inside, along with a few comic books, some color pencils, and her sketchpad. After gathering all the items she needs, she leaves her room and flicks the light off with an uptilt of her chin. She makes her way down the set of steps and right as she gets to the bottom she jolts at the flash of camera.

She scowls at her mother who's holding the camera, "Mom, can atleast warn me before you blind me as I come down the stairs. I could have fell."

Carrie scoffed, waving her off. "Oh, don't be so dramatic dear. You look too beautiful for that tonight." Stood beside her was her father Marcus, he was too busy with whoever he was on the phone with to even look at Violet. Shocking. Nonetheless, her mother gently nudged her husband to grab his attention. "Doesn't she look beautiful, honey?"

Marcus doesn't bother looking up, he only nods at his wife's words absentmindedly. "Yes, she looks very beautiful."

Violet huffed out a breath of impatience, "Can we just take these pictures and get this over with already?"

"Now, Violet." Carrie's brown eyes hardened, her tone strict and sharp. "What did I say about that attitude of yours?"

The raven-haired girl leans on the banister, folding her arms over her chest. "I said it would be gone when I walk out the door, I'm still here because you wanna take pictures."

"Violet Harrington!" Carrie scolds, her fair skin blooming red.

Marcus finally looked up as he heard his wife's frustrated tone, his eyes narrowed as they laid on the raven-haired girl. "Violet, do not speak to your mother that way."

Violet drops her head into her hands, groaning lowly in agitation. After a moment or two she finally looks back up, dropping her hands to her sides. "Can we please just take the pictures so I can go to the dance? Steve has to pick up Dustin, remember?"

Carrie released a long breath, "Okay, darling." She spoke calmly, her features softened and she picks up the camera and holds it up to take the photo. "Say cheese!"

After a round of taking photos and forcing the same fake smile about fifteen times, Carrie had dropped a kiss on her temples and she and Steve were heading out the front door and making their way to his BMW. Violet dropped into the front seat with a heavy breath, then once the door was shut she grabs at the visor and cringed at the fly-away strands of her hair from the bobby pins coming loose.

Steve laughed softly as he watched her, Violet turned to him with a heated glare. "What the hell are you laughing at, Steve?"

"Nothing." He shook his head, amusement covering his features. "You just... you really do not look like yourself right now."

Violet scoffs, "Yeah, well, thank mom for that. God, I feel like a doll. She did my hair, she picked my shoes, she almost picked a hideous pink dress but when we were at the shop I somehow managed to get her to let me pick something for myself, and this was the first thing I saw that didn't make me want to throw up. So yeah, she made me her own personal Barbie."

"Yeah, well, it's only for one night, Tink." Steve mumbles as he put his keys into the ignition, twisting them so the engine turns over. "Just get through this, and you won't have to do it again." He glanced over at her as he buckled up his seatbelt, "Well, atleast not until your Homecoming dance in Freshman year."

Violet grunts in annoyance at the thought, but she quickly takes after her brother and buckled her seatbelt. "Let's just go and get Dustin already."

The ride to Dustin's house wasn't a long one, he didn't live too far from her Loch Nora, maybe like ten minutes to fifteen minutes away at most. Steve pulled up infront of the house and Violet unbuckled her seatbelt and climbed out, she closed the door behind her with a swing of her arm and made her way to the Henderson's porch.

She walked up the small set of three steps and got to the door, then she pressed her finger on the bell and rocked on the heels of her wedges as she waited for the door to open. Behind the door she could hear Mrs. Henderson letting Dustin know that his ride was here, but she didn't catch the sound of footsteps coming to the front door.

She sighs heavily as she paced the porch, whatever Dustin was doing he better hurry up.

After about five minutes of pacing he porch, the door opened and she was met with her best friend. Her brows raised high and her eyes grew wide as she took in his appearance, she knew he was planning to go all out for the Snow Ball but... this was... over the top.

He was dressed in a light blue patterned blazer, he had a cyan blue dress shirt beneath it, light brown dress pants with a pair of white sneakers on his feet, and a matching dark blue bowtie around his collar. But what really had her thrown was his new do, his mane of chocolate curls that were usually hidden by his hat were free. And not only that, but they were styled upwards in a quaff with a few strands spilling down his temples.

She didn't know why, but that hairstyle looked a little... familiar to her.

"Dustin... wow." She murmured, clearly in a bit of shock as she stood there.

Dustin grins confidently, "I could say the same to you, Lady Violet."

Violet's look of shock melts away, and a soft smile takes it's place. "You look great, Dust."

Dustin smiles happily, "Thanks, Vi. So do you."

Steve honks his horn, grabbing their attention as their heads snap towards him as he poked his head out the passenger's side window. "Hey, slowpokes! Let's go!"

"We're coming!" Violet shouts, turning back to Dustin and holding out her hand. "Shall we get this shit-show on the road?"

Dustin snorts, taking her hand in his. "Let's do this."

The two of them rush down to the BWM and Violet climbs into the front seat while Dustin takes the back, once she's sat down she closed the door behind her. Her brother immediately turns in his seat to get a good look at the Henderson boy in the back, it's only then that she realized why the hairstyle looked so familiar.

"Henderson, you look good, man." Steve compliments, with a slight smugness to his tone.

"Thank you, Steve." Dustin nodded, "I took your advice, as you can see."

"I do see, it came out perfectly." Steve replied, shooting him a wink before turning back and facing forward. "All right, let's get you two dipshits to the dance, yeah?"

As Steve heads down the road and makes his way out of Dustin's neighborhood, Violet leans over the console with her brows raised high. "You told him the secret on how to get his hair like yours, didn't you?"

Steve shrugs, grinning slowly as he kept his eyes on the road. "Maybe." Violet snorts as she shakes her head, dropping back into her seat.

He most definitely told him.

THE drive to Hawkins Middle was a short one, it seemed the closer they got to the school and more Violet's dread about going tonight grew worse. But eventually, Steve pulled up to the curb near the double doors of the school's gymnasium, and unfortunately for Violet Harrington, there was no turning back now. No matter how much she wanted to.

"All right, here we go." Steve murmured, his gaze switching between the two. "So Tink, I know that this is the last place that you wanna be right now, but just hang out with the boys and Max and try to have fun, yeah?"

Violet scoffed as she slouched in her seat, "Don't count on it."

Steve nods curtly, knowing that was the best response he was gonna get from her. "And Dustin, remember, once you get in there..."

Dustin nodded in understanding, "Pretend like I don't care."

Violet's jaw hung open, "I'm sorry, what?" She glares at her brother, "What advice did you fucking give him, Steve?"

Steve ignores her, keeping his focus on Dustin. "You don't care."

"I don't care." Dustin repeats.

Violet drops her head into her hands, groaning to herself. "Oh, my god."

"There you go." Steve encouraged him, "You're learning, my friend. You're learning."

Violet scoffs as her head shoots up, "This is literally why you're single, Steve."

Dustin leans forward between the seats, grabbing for the rear view mirror as he gives himself a quick onceover. Steve frowns at this and slaps his hands away, "Come on. You look great, okay? You look... you look great. Okay?" Dustin nods his head, letting out a nervous breath as he leans back into the seat. "Now, you're gonna go in there..."

Dustin nods along, "Yeah."

"Look like a million bucks." Steve boasted, hyping him up.

Dustin gains his confidence back, smiling as he nods at his words. "Yeah."

"And you're gonna slay 'em dead." Steve declared, finishing strong.

Dustin nods slowly, "Like a lion." He opens his mouth and the infuriating purring that Violet absolutely detest comes rolling from his lips.

She spins to face him, glaring pointedly. "Dustin, what the hell did I say about that noise?"

Dustin eyes widened, "To stop doing it or you'd throw me across the room with your mind."

Violet's brows raised, "Do you wanna get thrown?"

He shakes his head, "No thank you."

Violet nods, "Good, so stop doing that."

He nods quickly, "Yes, ma'am."

Steve's lips were sealed tight, "Yeah, sorry man. I'm on Vi's side, don't make whatever... noise that was at girls, okay?"

"Okay." Dustin uttered softly.

Steve held out his hand to him, Dustin shook it firmly. "Good luck." He told him encouragingly, they share a nod and drop hands.

Dustin opens the back door and climbs out of the BMW, as he closed the door behind him he turns and saw Violet was still sat in the front passenger's seat. He frowns as he walked over to her rolled down window, "Vi, you coming in?"

Violet nodded, giving a forced smile. "I'll be there in a sec, go on ahead." Dustin is none the wiser as he turns around and walks off, she groans dramatically as she sinks in the seat. "This is bad, this is so bad."

Steve's brows wrinkled, confusion clouding his gaze. "What are you talking about?"

Violet nervously nibbled her lower lip, her gaze shifts to meet his. "Me and Dustin like the same girl."

For a moment he looked confused, but then his soft brown eyes slowly grew as realization hit. "Oh. So, you like Max, too, then?"

Violet sighs heavily, folding her arms across her chest. "Honestly? I think I liked her first."

Steve's brows raised, "Well, If you liked her first then why didn't you tell him that?" He questioned.

"It was before I even knew that I liked her, and way before he knew that I was into girls." Violet explains, "Also, what would be the point? I don't have a chance with her. There's a very low possibility that she likes girls, Steve." That's a lie, she knows that she's into girls but she wasn't going to out Max to her brother. "Anyway, she has a better shot being with Dustin. Atleast they could actually be seen together."

Steve's gaze softens with solace, his lips curl into a frown. "I'm so sorry, Tink. I wish things were different, I just want you to be happy."

"It is what it is." Violet shrugged, "One day, I'm gonna leave this toilet stop of a town and move to San Francisco. I can be whoever I want, and love whoever I want."

Steve smiles fondly, "That's all that I want for you, Tink." He boops her nose, and she wrinkles it under his digit. "You have to get through tonight, though."

Violet groaned, "Yeah, yeah, I know." She leans down to remove her wedges, then she switches them out with her Chucks and mitch-matched socks that Steve brought her. Once she laces them up she unbuckles her seatbelt and grabbed her mini-backpack, "I can't promise you that I'll have any fun though."

Steve holds both his hands up in surrender as she opens the door, "All I ask is that you try. And if it totally sucks then walkie me and I'll come back, we can go to the diner and you and I can enjoy hot caramel and chocolate fudge sundaes. Deal?"

Violet nodded as she closed the door after climbing out, she holds out her palm through the window. "Deal."

The two siblings shake on it, then she shoots him a thin smile before turning on her heel and heading to the school building. She walked past the open double doors, the music being played in the gymnasium reaches her ears as she makes her way to the gym.

Before she reached the other set of doors she sees Mr. Clarke sitting at a table closeby, he smiles when he sees her walking over. "Violet, you're looking marvelous tonight." Mr. Clarke compliments her.

"Thanks." She smiles thinly, "If only I actually felt that way."

Mr. Clarke frowns, "Someone not happy about the dance?"

Violet sighs, giving a small head shake. "Not even a little bit."

"Ah, I see." The science teacher nods, giving a look of sympathy. "I understand, school dances aren't always fun for everyone. I'll be honest and say they weren't the best for me. So I get it if tonight isn't your "thing", hopefully the boys and Max can make it enjoyable for you."

"Yeah, hopefully." She smiles at him gratefully, "Thanks, Mr. Clarke.."

He tips his head, his lips twitching into a smile. "You're welcome, Violet. Go ahead and go in, your friends are in there waiting for you. In-fact, I just saw Dustin go in a little bit ago."

"Yeah, he came with me and my brother Steve." She shrugged her shoulders, "Anyway, I'll see you later, Mr. Clarke."

Mr. Clarke waves with his usual kind smile, "See you later, Violet."

She heads towards the double doors that lead to the dance in the gym, the moment that she walked past the threshold her curious eyes took in the room. And though she was less than thrilled to be here, she had to admit that Hawkins Middle really went all out with the decorations and winter theme of the Snow Ball.

The colors chosen were perfect, a cluster of white, silver, baby blue, dark blue, and gold.

She walked through an archway of blue balloons for one, there were Christmas trees placed around the cafeteria, she saw streamers and lights strung up as they hung down from the ceiling. And in giant glittering letters, are the words Snow Ball hanging down from the ceiling right in the middle of the dance floor. According to her mom, Hawkins Middle goes all out every year for their eighth graders.

Turns out she's right, the place looks absolutely amazing.

With a heavy breath she begins her walk through the gymnasium, and as she goes she sees Nancy posted at a snack table standing at the punch bowl. She sees the oldest Wheeler girl waving at her,  she wiggled her fingers in return before continuing forward. She made her way past the crowd of students on the dance floor, until she got to the section of round tables.

Her eyes scanned the tables until she found her friends, they were all stood around and they waved her over as they took notice of her presence. The boys were dressed nice, in their dress shirts, blazers, and fancy shoes. But there was one person in the group that she couldn't keep her eyes off of, the very same person who made her heart race at the speed of light.

Max Mayfield, in all her glory.

Violet liked to think that she and Max had alot in common, especially in the terms of fashion. The ginger girl was wearing something comfortable, a nice black albeit colorful sweater and a pair of salmon jeans to match, she was also wearing black VANS.

Her point is, Max was wearing something that Violet would have personally chosen to wear herself, if it weren't for her mother who had decided to dress her up like her own personal Barbie doll that night.

Max Mayfield wasn't like all the others girls in Hawkins. She wasn't wearing a dress, she wasn't suffering in a pair of uncomfortable heels, and while there was a small braid crown in her hair that her mom probably did for her, the rest of her fiery red waves trailed down her back and shoulders like a waterfall.

At a dance where everyone dressed to impress, Max was the only one who did not. She stayed true to herself and her style, choosing comfort over glamour, and that was exactly why Violet liked her so much. Unlike all the other girls in Hawkins, no matter what, Max Mayfield would always be herself, and she admired that.

"Whoa, Vi." Mike muttered, coffee eyes widened slightly as he gave her a once over. "You look—"

"—Yeah, don't say it." She huffs in annoyance, "My parents are back in town, this is all my mom's doing."

"I can't believe you're wearing a dress right now, it's not even a funeral." Lucas mentions, a decent amount of shock in his words.

"And your hair." Will comments, "I don't think I've ever seen it up like that before."

"Yeah, this?" Violet's digit points to her updo, "Won't last through the night, I'm taking these godamn hair pins out at some point."

"I'll help, but only if you help take mine out for me. I am in so much pain right now." Max expressed, smiling brittlely. "My mom said it'd be worth it, it's not feeling very worth it."

Violet's brows raised in amusement, "Looks like our moms had the same idea tonight. My mom said "beauty is pain, darling.'" Her velvet brown eyes rolled skyward, "As if that shit means anything to me."

Max scoffed, "Yeah, that's total bull. You don't need to be in pain to be beautiful, you're beautiful just the way that you are."

"Oh." Violet's cheeks bloomed a soft red, her gaze downcast as she felt her heart flutter in her chest. "T-Thanks, Max." She dares to look up, and her eyes lock with the ginger girl's ocean blues. "You're beautiful just the way you are, too."

Max's plush pink lips curve, forming a soft smile. "Thank you."

Violet happens to catch Lucas' gaze as he makes kissy faces, she shot him a pointed glare, hoping Max and the boys didn't see what he did.

Luckily for her, they were all none the wiser.

"Atleast your hair looks better than Dustin's." Mike brings up, pointing a thumb to his hair. "It looks like a bird made a nest in there."

"Hey!" Dustin whined in offense, "Stop giving me shit about my hair, you've been talking ever since I got here, Mike." He pouts as he runs a gentle hand through the chocolate bouncy curls, "I worked hard."

Violet rolled her eyes, "Michael, leave Dustin alone. His hair looks fine."

Mike scowls at his government name being used, "Don't call me that."

Violet shot him a raised brow look, "Apologize for giving Dustin shit for his hair and I'll stop, Michael."

Mike grumbles, rolling his coffee eyes. "Fine, I'm sorry for giving you shit about your hair."

Dustin grins smugly, "Thank you, Mike. I accept your apology."

Suddenly, the dance music comes to and end, and another song is played right after. She recognized it almost immediately, Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time, one of her favorite songs ever. It was a classic slow dance song, and while she loved it, all she wanted was get as far away from this gym as humanly possible.

Her annoyance flared as she felt a round of tears forming in her eyes, and without a word she turns on her heel and weaved her way through the bodies of her classmates to get to the open double doors. As her tears had threatened to spill over, she picks up her pace and bolted out the school building's doors.

Once she made it outside a sob falls freely from her lips, echoing in the night as she dropped down on the curb. She didn't want to cry right now, her reason was so stupid. The idea of her classmates with each other, a boy and a girl dancing together, the way it supposed to be.

It made her feel like a freak.

And so, she sat there on the curb, quietly crying her eyes out while Time After Time played on. The music was loud enough to hear from where she sat outside, which only made her feel worse. Just when she was about to reach for her bag and pull out her walkie, deciding that tonight sucked and that she would rather eat a sundae, she noticed the Chief of Police truck pulling up to the lot of the school.

She frowned in bemusement as she watched the truck pull up near her, then the passenger side door opens and a figure climbs out as their black flat's shoe hits the pavement. The door is closed and the truck drives away, heading to the side of the building, but she wasn't paying attention to that anymore, she was too busy picking her jaw off the floor from the sight before her.

Was that... El?

Her brunette curls were styled and brushed back, she was wearing a soft baby blue dress with a tiny pattern of pink decorating the fabric, she had a matching belt tied around her waist, black flats on her feet, and if she wasn't mistaken, she was pretty sure that she was wearing makeup. Her lips were lightly glossed, and her eyelids were brushed delicately with a pop of pink eyeshadow.

She looked... so pretty.

"Violet?" El asked, making her way to the raven-haired girl sitting down on the curb.

Violet blinked, "El? What are you doing here? I thought you weren't allowed out of the cabin."

El sits down on the curb beside her, crossing her legs. "Hop said... I could tonight. Snow Ball."

A small smile grew on Violet's lips, "I'm glad he said so, you deserve to feel like a normal girl. And normal girls go to school dances."

El's brows wrinkled as she took in the tear tracks on Violet's face and the red rims of her eyes, a frown tugs at her lips. "You're crying."

Violet chuckles weakly, "Yeah, I am." She huffs out a breath, dropping her head in her hands. "It's stupid."

El grabs her hands, pulling them from her face. "What's stupid?"

Violet's gaze blurs over, more tears threatening to spill. "I-Im a freak, El. There's a gym full of people who can be free, and I can't. I'm a girl who likes girls, I can't just go in there and dance with a girl, everybody will think it's wrong."

El's head tilts, her frown deepening. "But... it's not."

Violet gives a weak scoff, "Try telling that to everyone in Hawkins."

El holds her palms in hers, her warm gaze sincere. "The person who said... it's wrong. Mouthbreather."

"Yeah." Violet giggles, nodding her head in agreement. "They're a total mouthbreather." She sobers up from her giggles, then her eyes grew as she remembered why El was here. "Oh, my god. Mike is gonna be ecstatic!" She gasped excitedly, "El, you have to go inside now!"

El frowns, "But... what about you?"

Violet shook her head, smiling at her concern. "Don't worry about me. Steve told me to walkie him if I want to leave early, we're gonna get sundaes at the diner."

El nods slowly, "Okay. Enjoy the... sundae?" Her brows furrowed cluelessly, "What's sundae?"

"It's icecream, basically. But no more talking to me. I'll be fine." She assures her, "Go, get in there."

"Okay, I'm going." El nods, going to get up and leave. But not before she threw her arms around Violet and envelopes her in a hug.

Violet hugs her back, curling her arms around her. Then as they pull back she smiles, "Have fun, yeah?"

El nodded, "I will."

She watched as the brunette rose to her feet, she spares her one last look before she spins on her heel and made her way to the doors of the school building. Once she made sure El had walked in the gym, she turns around and pulls off her bag. She opens it up and reached for her walkie, once she found it she pulls out the antenna and pressed the speak button on the side.

"Stevie, it's Tink. Do you copy?"

A few moments of silent pass, then she hears the crackle of static.

"I copy, Tink." He responds softly, "It totally sucked, didn't it?"

Violet sighs heavily, "Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that sundae."

"I'm on my way, kiddo." Steve informs.

"I'll be here." She mumbles, then she pushed down the antenna and placed the walkie beside her.

Not even a minute after she called Steve she hears a pair of footsteps behind her, curiosity gets the best of her and she peers over her shoulder to take a look. Her eyes grew slightly when she saw who's making their way over, red hair that resembles a roaring flame and blue eyes like a tidal wave.

"Max?" She asked cluelessly, "What are you doing out here?"

The ginger girl shrugs, "The dance got boring." She drops down on the curb beside her, "I was sitting at the table, waiting for you to come back. I saw you leave, but I thought you went to the bathroom. But then... El walks in and told us you were out here and wanted to leave." Her brows wrinkle in concern, "What's wrong? Why do you wanna leave?"

Violet shakes her head, shifting her gaze to her feet. "It's stupid."

Max takes her hand and sets it on her shoulder, Violet looks up and meets her gaze. The ginger girl's brows inch upward, "Try me."

Violet sighs heavily, curling her arms around her knees. "A gymnasium full of normal teens, boys and girls are dancing together happily. And then there's me, a lesbian. I stick out like a sore thumb, Max. And I know that you're bisexual and you can relate, but you still have your attraction to boys. You can ignore your attraction to girls, you can hide if that's what you choose. You can like a boy and dance with him. I can't do that, I'm not going to just because that's what society tells me to do, you know?"

Her shoulders lift and fall in a shrug, "I don't know. It just... it sucks." She drops her chin to her knees, holding onto her legs tighter as she curled in on herself. "I hate this."

"I get it." Max nods her head, with an understanding look set upon her features. "And you're right, I could hide. But... I won't." Violet looks up at her, confusion clouding her gaze as she met her eyes. "Not when the girl I like is sitting outside waiting to go home because the world thinks that us being together is wrong."

Violet swore that her heart may have stopped, in that moment it certainly felt like it had.

Her velvet brown eyes grew wide as saucers, her lips part in complete and utter shock. "T-The girl you... like? You... you like me?"

Max's cheeks bloom a soft red, she nods slowly as a nervous smile curls on her lips. "I do, Vi." Her gaze shifts to the ground, and she nibbles on her lower lip. "I get it if you don't feel the same way, I mean, just because you like girls and I like girls doesn't have to mean that—"

Violet has heard enough, she got the answer that she didn't think was at all possible, and now there's only one thing she wants to do.

Needs to do.

Before Max could ramble any further, Violet reached out and cups her face in her hands. Her heart flutters as she watched Max's eyes widen, but in the blink of an eye she sees a sparkle of want and desire in those ocean blues. There are just inches in between their pairs of lips, and she can feel Max's breath mingling with hers, the puffs of clouds disappearing in the winter breeze surrounding them.

"I like you too, Max." She whispers into the air, as her heart hammers wildly in her chest.

A wide smile broke across the ginger's  freckled features, crinkles form in the corners of her eyes. "You gonna kiss me or what, Vi?"

Violet's thumb slowly caresses her flushed cheek, she smiles softly. "How could I say no to that?"

There's nothing left to say as the two lean forward, their eyes fluttering shut as their hearts beat as one. The space between them evaporates, and their lips brush ever so softly against each other's. Violet's chest floods with an overwhelming sense of warmth, and her entire body feels as if it's been set on fire but in the best way possible.

In that moment, with Max's lips on hers, she finally gets what everyone in the LGBT community is fighting for. This unexplainable feeling that she has in her chest is not a choice, and it's not wrong. What she and Max has is not wrong, no matter what anyone out there has to say. Now... she truly understands. This is worth fighting for, being with the person you like or love despite their gender or identity is worth the fight.

And if she had to, she would gladly fight for Max.

The kiss shared between them only last a couple seconds, which can be expected of two middle schoolers. Especially Violet, considering she's never kissed anyone before.

She pulls away slowly, dropping her hands from Max's face as a bashful smile sets on her lips. "That was... uh... my first kiss."

Max giggles melodically, "It was my first, too." She reached for her hand as she laced their fingers together, "So, how do you feel about a moonlight dance?"

Violet smiles as her gaze lifts up to the night sky, "Under the stars? Wow, Max. I had no idea that you were such a romantic."

Max's thin brows raise, there's a glint of mischief in her eyes. "If you tell anyone, I'll deny it."

Violet chuckles softly, shaking her head at the ginger before her. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me Max Mayfield." She gives their laced hands a squeeze, then she stood up and pulls Max with her. "And yes, I would love nothing more than to dance with you."

She pulls off her backpack and sets it to the floor next to her walkie, then she moves her gaze back to Max who is stood there rocking on her heels. Her hair moves delicately with the winter breeze, and her eyes glimmer with the reflection of the moonlight glowing in them. Violet is breathless, taken back by her beauty.

Max is the most stunning girl that she has ever seen in her life.

Once the two are face to face again, it takes them a few seconds to figure out what to do with their hands. After a few giggles and some hand placement adjustments, Violet wraps her arms around her neck and Max rests her arms around her waist.

Violet smiles softly when she hears the next song from inside the school, it's another one of her favorite songs by Cyndi Lauper, All Through The Night. She and Max dance together, swaying to the beat of the song that pours from the speakers inside.

They take turns twirling eachother around, and Max attempts to dip her and pressed a kiss on her lips before pulling her back up. But for the most part they giggle, sing, and dance the night away together under the stars and the luminescent glow of the pulsing moonlight.

As the song comes to an end, Violet noticed car headlights approaching the school lot. She recognized the car as her brother's burgundy BMW, she almost forgot that she called him. Her arms fell down from Max's neck, but she quickly grabbed ahold of her hand instead.

As her brother pulls up to the curb, she turned to the ginger girl with a raise of her brows. "Hey, do you wanna get out here?"

Max tilts her head, a small smile curling on her lips. "What do you have in mind?"

Violet grinned, "How do you feel about sundae's at the diner?"

"It's a date." Max's smile widens, "A real date, this time."

ACT TWO . . . COMPLETED

—micaela speaks

Yo.

Yall, I did it. I FUCKING did it.

I finally finished season two, took me forever and a DAY but I did it.

Oh god, the slowburn is OVER.

Max and Violet shared their feelings, they like each other, they shared a first kiss, it ALL happened. They even had their own dance outside of the school under the stars and the godamn moonlight guys.

I wanted that scene to come out as perfectly as I could get it, and after checking and re-reading it over and over, I am so glad to say that I am INCREDIBLY proud of myself.

It all came out just the way I wanted, if not better.

I am so happy.

Condolences to Lucas and Dustin, neither of yall were getting a chance with Max, Violet won her heart since the day they met in the hallway when she called y'all stalkers LMAO.

Sorry to the Lumax lovers, they shall be besties and only besties as this fic series continues.

So yeah.

I just wanted to say that I thank every single one of you who took the time out of your day to read this book, leave your comments, or to add it to your reading lists.

It means the world to me that you guys actually gave this fic a chance, so thank you so fucking much.

I am so excited to jump into the next season, the third one is my all time favorite and it always will be, I don't care what anybody says.

Stranger Things season 3 is superior in my eyes.

But anywhoosie, I just want to say one last time that I am so thankful for all of your love and support on this fic and Violet's journey in the Stranger Things universe. I've still got a lot more of her story to tell, I hope you guys are ready for it.

It's gonna be a real doozy... that's for damn sure.

NOW, before I go, I always do this before I close a season. So... here is the book cover for season 3!!!

Ain't she a beauty? Honestly one of my favorite covers. I'm obsessed. It's just so fun and screams what season 3 is basically all about!

Feel free to let me know what you think about it !!! <33

Once again, —I swear this is the last time— thank you so much for giving this book a chance! I love every single one of you, and I'm so fucking grateful for all of you.

I hope that you guys enjoyed this final chapter of act two, and I will see you all in the third act whenever I get to work on that!

I love you guys so much, byee <33

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23K 320 31
***Completed until season 5*** In which, Rudy Harrington, younger brother of Steve Harrington, falls madly in love with one of the new girls from Cal...
51.8K 956 55
๐Œ๐ฒ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ฒ๐ข๐ง๐  (๐š๐๐ฃ.) ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐›๐ž๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฑ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Ž๐ซ... ๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐š ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ญ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ซ๐ž ๐ซ๐ž๐ ๐ก๐ž๐š...
353K 6.4K 29
(Her beauty filled the stars, As if to beg the heavens to crumple up the sky again) (Stranger things 1+) (Female!ocxMike Wheeler) (Completed u...
1.1M 37.9K 84
"Hey, Harrington?" "Yeah, Mayfield?" Nora feels breathless. "You talk too much." stranger things seasons 2-4 max mayfield x fem oc #1 in maxmayfield...