The Heir

By jlf7899

✨Book 4 in the DiSilva Series✨ Isabelle DiSilva, the very definition of a mafia princess. An absolute perfect... More

Character Aesthetic
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6 - Ryan's POV
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 - Ryan's POV
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 - Ryan's POV
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27 - Ryan's POV
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 - Ryan's POV
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46 - Ryan's POV
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54 - Ryan's POV
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65 - Ryan's POV
Epilogue - 5 Years Later

Chapter 14

1.2K 44 1
By jlf7899

I don't like making a big deal about my birthday. Sure, I'll spend some extra time getting ready in the morning. Make sure that my hair and makeup is exactly as I want it to be. And I'll typically go for one of the nicer uniform options. Pleated skirt with the shiny, red prefect tie.

Akio and Noah have been bugging me all day. Akio, I can handle him. He makes a show of pulling out my chair for me and insists on carrying all of my books. Noah on the other hand. He swings the doors of classrooms open so aggressively, I'm sure I heard a few hinges crack. Deep, regal bows as I walk past him. Even when I roll my eyes, I'm smiling.

After school, I hole up in the library. There's no dance rehearsals today which gives me the opportunity to catch up on schoolwork. I crank out my homework subject by subject.

Akio sits on one side of me while Noah sits across the table from us. It's one of the few times you can get Noah to shut up. He's almost as anal about his grades as I am. There's hushed whispers every now and then, mostly asking questions when one of us gets confused, but other than that we work in a peaceful silence.

By the time dinner rolls around, the only assignment I have left is the short reading for English. I can get that done before bed easily.

The dining hall is as chaotic as ever. All of the fall sports have finally kicked off; soccer, volleyball, tennis, cross country. Students wear their uniforms proudly as they chatter about practice and games.

I head straight for the salad station, as I always do. Just because it's my birthday doesn't mean I can slack off on my diet. I pile the tasteless vegetables onto a plate and grab some water before approaching the table.

"Happy birthday, Elle!" Hannah shrieks as soon as I put my plate down.

"Thanks," I laugh lightly.

Ryan drops his plate beside me, "happy birthday."

I look up at him, "cosa facciamo stasera?"
(What are we doing tonight?)

He flinches, "è una sorpresa."
(It's a surprise)

"Whatever you say," I shake my head. I'm sure it'll be fun no matter what he has planned.

Someone clears their throat at the end of the table and I turn my attention there. Enzo looks over my friends faces with nothing short of disdain. He has a large red box in his hand, it almost looks like a suitcase with the gold handle.

"Buon compleanno," he stretches out his hand.
(Happy birthday)

"What's up, little Ricci?" Noah grins, leaning forward to look at him. Enzo pays him no mind.

Ryan, sitting between us, takes the box from him. The Lamborghini logo is written in gold leaf across the front of the leather box. I look from the box to my brother and back before opening it. There's three bottles of wine, shiny and colorful.

"Grazie," I say, latching it closed.

"Hai intenzione di uscire stasera?" Enzo asks.
(Are you going out tonight)

"I'm not sure yet," I reply honestly.

"Abbiamo piani," Ryan says, adding, "ma puoi unirti se vuoi."
(We have plans but you can join if you want)

"I'm good," Enzo holds up a hand. "Just wanted to give you your gift."

"Why don't you eat with us?" Akio offers, gesturing to an empty chair at the table.

"And then you can-" Hannah slaps her hand over Noah's mouth before he can finish his sentence.

My eyes narrow slightly, "he can what?"

"Nothing," Noah and Hannah say at the same time.

"You're really bad liars," I inform the duo.

"I'll uh- I'll see you around I guess," Enzo begins to back away from the table.

"Grazie, fratello," I gesture to the box.

Enzo turns and starts to walk away, "non diventare sentimentale."
(Don't get sentimental)

Noah grabs the box and lifts the lid. Hannah and Akio lean closer for a better look. I wonder how Enzo got this. It's not that money is an issue, it's that even here he's underage.

"Hey, Elle," Will's nervous form appears right where Enzo had been standing. His hands are behind his back and his lips tilt into a crooked grin.

"Come sit," I pat the empty seat next to me.

His smile widens and he makes his way over. He pulls his hands from behind his back to reveal a decadent chocolate cake. There's already candles in it, flickering as he puts it down.

"I heard it was your birthday," Will sits next to me.

I simply nod. Nausea fills my body as I look at the whipped chocolate frosting. One slice of this has to be at least seventy five percent of my daily intake. There's no way in hell I can eat this. But all of the eyes on me are brewing panic. I don't know how I'm going to get out of this.

"Thanks," I muster out.

I blow out the candles before anyone can start singing and plaster a smile on my face. Maybe no one noticed my internal battle. I can lie my way out of this. I just need an opening.

"Go ahead," Lina says softly, passing me a knife.

I cut the cake hesitantly and put the first slice on my plate. The chocolate monstrosity circles the table, everyone grabbing some, until the dish is empty. All of my friends dig right in and I move the cake around my plate with my fork. It's an old trick of mine.

"What's wrong?" Will leans closer to ask. "Do you not like chocolate?"

"It's lovely, thank you," I say, just as quietly. "Chocolate and alcohol just don't mix well for me."

"Oh," his smile falters slightly. "I didn't know."

"It's okay," I smile.

Hannah's phone begins to go off, some alarm. The entire table exchanges looks and my brows furrow. What the fuck are they planning? I swear to God if they're throwing some kind of party, I'm going to kill them.

I don't like parties, at least not for me. A large gathering dedicated to me, filled with the people I care about, has not worked out well in the past. Unlike my father, I learn from my mistakes.

"We've got to," Hannah trails off, not bothering with an excuse as she stands. Lina giggles, immediately covering her mouth with her hands, and follows right behind her. Noah and Akio depart with equal urgency.

Ryan sighs and stands, "c'mon. You need to get ready or we're going to be late."

"Thanks again, Will," I say before kissing his cheek. His cheeks flush red and I smile.

Ryan and I head towards the dorm. There's groups of students spread out across the green grass. Trying to soak in the nice weather before snow covers campus for a few months.

"I need a general overview of tonight's itinerary before I can get ready," I tell Ryan as we start up the stairs.

"Think party," he grunts.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask bluntly. He's even grumpier than usual.

"Nothing," he shakes his head. "Just have a headache."

"Make sure you're drinking enough water," I remind him.

"I know," he waves his hand dismissively. "Just go get ready."

I shrug his attitude off and go into my room. I leaf through my closet before selecting a shimmering dress. The lights of any club or bar will compliment the look.

I sit down at my vanity and plug in my curling iron. I wipe off my daytime makeup as I wait for it to heat up. A fresh layer of concealer, a little blush, smoky liner, and multiple coats of mascara later and I'm done. I wrap my hair around the scalding metal of the iron until it hangs in loose curls down my back.

Red bottom heels and bright red lips finish my outfit for the night.

I grab a small bag and toss the necessities inside. My phone, some gum, an extra lipstick, and, of course, my knife. There's a knock on the door and Ryan sticks his head inside.

"You ready?" he asks, opening the door further.

"Yup," I chirp, crossing the room to stand before him. He changed out of his uniform too; now sporting jeans and a dark tshirt.

"One stipulation," he says. I quirk a brow and he pulls a blindfold from his pocket.

"Kinky," I smirk, turning my back to him.

"Shut up," he says, even as he covers my eyes with the black fabric. He ties a tight knot and I try to look around but my vision is truly impaired.

Ryan takes my hand and pulls me behind him. He mutters warnings every time we get to a new step and steers me away from the other students roaming the halls.

We walk outside and I shiver against the air. I totally forgot to grab a jacket. It's fine, we'll be in a taxi soon enough. I trip over a branch but Ryan is quick to steady me out.

"I hate you for this," I mutter, being blindly led around.

"I hate me too," Ryan sighs.

The leaves crunch under our feet and I keep running through the path to the road in my head. But that's not where we're heading. It almost feels like we're going to the greenhouse.

"I'm so sorry," Ryan whispers. Before I can question him, he rips the blindfold off my eyes.

Bright lights overwhelm my senses and a loud chorus of 'surprise' echoes around me. I take a step back, confused, and blink hard. Someone's hand claps on my shoulder and my base instincts take over.

I reel my hand back and punch them hard. I shake out my hand to combat the sting. The world around me comes into focus enough to see Noah, blood dripping from his nose. He looks at me with teary eyes and I take a step back.

"Elle!" Akio exclaims.

The entire greenhouse is packed with people. My friends, classmates, and some local boys all stare at me. There's decorations and music and alcohol and I cannot be here.

"Ho detto loro di non farlo," Ryan says softly. "Mi dispiace tanto."
(I told them not to do this. I'm so sorry)

"What is wrong with you?" Hannah shouts, rushing to Noah's side.

"I-" I just shake my head. I cannot begin to explain to these people why I just did what I did. I turn and look up at Ryan, silently pleading him for help.

"Vai," he nods behind himself.
(Just go)

"Ryan, I-"

"Farò il controllo dei danni," he assures me, "andare."
(I'll do damage control, go.)

I nod and make a beeline for the dorm. It may seem like I'm overreacting. Like I'm being dramatic. But I'm not. Surprises, of any kind, are not for me. I didn't mean to hit Noah, to make him bleed. It was just my first reaction.

Goddammit.

I fly up the stairs and into my room. I lock the door behind me and fall face first onto my bed. I scream into the pillow in frustration.

They must have spent so much time planning that. They probably thought they were doing something nice. Something special. And I just left.

I stay like that until breathing becomes difficult. When I finally sit up, I spot a small pink box on my bedside table. There's no note or card or anything and I lift the lid hesitantly.

Inside sits a little charm bracelet. I lift it curiously and turn it over in my hand. It's not good enough quality to have been a gift from my parents. There's only one charm on it, ballet shoes, and I let out a dry laugh. Fucking Duke.

I toss the bracelet across the room and bury my face in my pillow again. Why are birthdays even a fucking thing?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117 0 11
She was a dancer. He was a king. She worked in a French ballet company. He worked in the Italian mafia. She was kind. He was not. ...
307 19 10
"𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓲𝓻 𝓴𝓷𝓸𝔀𝓷 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓲𝓻 𝓫𝓪𝓭 𝓻𝓮𝓹𝓾𝓽𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷,𝔀𝓱𝔂 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝔀𝓮 𝓯𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓰𝓾𝔂𝓼 𝓵𝓲𝓴𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶". ✯⁂✯❁ 𝑨 𝒈𝒓...
54.9K 1.3K 41
"It's too dangerous." He placed his calloused hand on my hip and pulled me so our faces were mere inches apart. "I would ruin you, and you wouldn't e...
1.6M 35.5K 66
16-year-old Scarlette Russo has never got along with the universe. In her world, she doesn't know who to trust causing her to face the world with her...