The Tree Remembers

By EloiseMunson

Eddie Munson's back after leaving Hawkins for two years. He's desperate to get back in the swing of things, a... More

Pick Your Poison
Keep Protecting
The Melody
Shift Drinks
Why Do You Hate Me?
Clarity
Starting Fresh
Two Belle's
Great Expectations
Ohio
A/N - Quick Update!
Just Friends
Seriously. Just Friends.
Boundaries
Jealousy, Jealousy
Multitudes
Wimp
Authors Note!
Tape World
It's A Start
This Is Not A Date
Pretzels
A Win Is A Win
Concoctions
Breakfast
Brick Walls
Pity Party
Lobotomies
Rhyming
Unless
We Like Sharing
This Kind of Happy
Concrete Girl
Brain Damage
Like Rabbits
Small Rooms
See You in the Hall

The King Returns

1.3K 59 22
By EloiseMunson

I took a long drag from my cigarette, blowing the smoke out into the already smoky air of the Hideout. I leaned back in my chair and looked at Gareth and Jeff, annoyed.

"We've been waiting for twenty minutes," I seethed, sipping at the whiskey I had bought. Gareth shrugged.

"I don't know what to tell you, man – we've got to meet with the new talent manager to get our spot back," he replied. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

"Dude – it's your fault we even lost our spot. Who decided that they needed to go out on their own for two years and then came crawling back to Hawkins, tail tucked between their legs?" Jeff asked. I gritted my teeth together and tensed my jaw.

"As I have said before, I'm sorry, but how many times are you going to bring—"

"As many times as it takes for me to be less pissed at you," Jeff hissed.

"Oh, seriously? Knowing you, that will be a decade from now," I snapped, leaning forward and glaring at my best friend. Jeff opened his mouth, but Gareth leapt up.

"Hi, Elle!" he greeted, waving awkwardly. I turned, ready to rip into the person who had made me wait for so long. My anger quickly dissipated when I saw the new talent manager.

She was a flurry of energy, setting papers down on a table in front of the stage and a pen behind her ear. She was beautiful – dark hair and bright eyes, tattoos up and down her arms. She was in a tight, black dress that hugged her thick curves, and I couldn't stop looking at her. She glanced up, looking directly at Gareth.

"Sorry, Gareth – got stuck on a call with our liquor distributor," she explained, her smile lighting up her face. I continued to watch her, entranced by her energy and how she commanded a room. I cleared my throat and stood, ready to charm her.

"Hey, Elle – I'm Eddie Munson," I said, smiling at her and putting my hand out. She finally looked at me, and her once warm and bright smile was replaced with a deadpan stare.

"Drinking before an audition? That bodes well," she said simply, glancing down at my whiskey glass. I felt my face flush.

"I told you so, dumb ass," Jeff sniped. I smiled at her, desperate to win her over.

"Can't be rock and roll if you don't indulge, right?" I replied, putting my best smile on, running my hand through my hair. She raised an eyebrow and nodded once.

"Can't really perform if you're too trashed to rock, right?" she quipped, sitting down at the table she had chosen. I was annoyed. Women did not typically react to me like this. I set my hands on my hips.

"Eddie," Jeff warned. I snapped my head to him, and he was shaking his head. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm ready when you guys are," Elle said, crossing her legs and taking notes. I tempered my annoyance and we got on stage, each of us getting our instruments together. I went to the mic, putting on my stage persona and grinning at her.

"We are Corroded Coffin – thanks for the opportunity," I said into the mic. She nodded her head, her face still deadpan. I decided to use my tried-and-true method of winning girls over. "This is for the pretty lady in the audience."

I grinned, waiting for a smile, or an eye roll as she realized how scampish I was. I was met with neither. She continued to just stare straight ahead, her face not changing. Jeff groaned but Gareth counted us out, immediately getting us back on track.

---

Fucking Eddie Munson. Eddie Fucking Munson was back in town. I thought he moved away after graduation? He had made such a a big deal about it our senior year (his super, super senior year) and boasted about it in the halls.

I could tell he didn't recognize me. Which, honestly, wasn't that surprising. A lot of people didn't anymore, and I preferred it that way.

I focused on taking notes, making sure I remained as neutral as possible. I was annoyed with Gareth – he hadn't told me Eddie was back, which I now realize was why Corroded Coffin wanted their spot back. I thought they had found their new front man. Eddie winked at me from on stage and it took everything in me not to roll my eyes. I went back to my notes.

They weren't bad, and it frustrated me. They were even good enough to replace the band I had Saturday nights, which I was itching to do. The Saturday band's lead singer had gotten complacent and decided he was God's gift to women. He had started pursuing me, staying late after their gig and getting so drunk he could barely speak as he tried to grab at me. It was obnoxious, and he wasn't talented enough to behave like that.

They wrapped their third song, and I held my hand up. They stopped and Eddie was smirking at me, waiting for me to worship him. I organized my papers.

"You guys are decent. I can give you Tuesday nights on a trial basis."

"Tuesdays?" Eddie exclaimed, disappointed. Gareth glared at him, and Jeff told him to shut up.

"On a trial basis," I answered. Eddie glared at me.

"We had Tuesdays two years ago – we're much better now," he insisted. I crossed my arms.

"You mean two years ago before you abruptly quit your band and moved?" I asked, leaning back. His brows furrowed and Gareth snorted. I stood. "You guys are good. But I've worked my ass off for the last two years to make sure our weekly lineups are solid. We have bands who have a following, and I can't upset my customers because Eddie Munson batted his eyes at me and asked."

His eyes widened and I picked my papers up. I smiled brightly at Gareth.

"I assume you're acting as the de facto manager?" I asked. Gareth looked to them and shrugged at me. "Great – I'll get you a contract to review and once we have that, we're good to go."

I turned on my heel and started back to the tiny supply closet that the rest of the Hideout staff called my office. I heard a tromping of boots and bristled, knowing what was about to come.

"Elle, Elle – wait," Eddie asked as he tromped behind me. I stopped but didn't turn. He stumbled in front of me and held his hands up, smiling slyly at me. I raised an eyebrow. "I think you and I got off on the wrong foot."

"That's all you seem to be, Mr. Munson. Wrong feet and bad decisions," I replied. His face twisted into a genuine smile, and I felt my heart flutter.

A couple years ago, I would have done anything to get Eddie Munson to talk to me. I would have been bumbling and goofy, tripping over my words and bright red. And my stupid remnants of that crush were like a muscle memory, boiling up in spite of everything he had done to me.

"You're a spitfire," he said, his eyes crinkling. I felt those remnants rise up again but played it cool, keeping my face neutral.

"I'm just busy, Mr. Munson," I replied. He raised his eyebrows.

"Mr. Munson? That's so formal, I'd hope we could be a little more casual," he said, leaning against the wall and grinning at me. I knew what he was doing. I used to watch him do this all the time with other girls, making them feel pretty and that they were the only girl in the room. I knew better.

"As someone who is technically your employer, my goal is to remain as detached and formal as possible. Excuse me – I need to get your contract," I replied, stepping around him.

---

I watched Elle walk away, bemused and bewildered as she left me. I grinned, setting a hand over my heart.

"No, Munson," Jeff snapped, putting his guitar away. I turned to him, my brows furrowed.

"What do you mean 'no, Munson'?" I asked. Jeff rolled his eyes and Gareth sighed.

"You can't chase Elle, man," Gareth explained.

"Who said I was going to chase her?"

"Are you kidding? You've been eyeing her since she walked in," Jeff replied, annoyed with me. I scoffed.

"I mean, can you blame me?" I asked, gesturing to where she had walked out of.

"Yes, we can. She's technically our future boss, and she obviously doesn't like you," Gareth hissed. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

"You guys are no fun – you guys are killing my chances at love," I said. They both scoffed and sat down at a table.

"Sure, Eddie Munson in love," Jeff sniped, crossing his arms. My jaw dropped.

"It could happen!"

"Not with a girl like Elle," Gareth replied, shaking his head. "She's hot, and confident, and way too smart for you. You like them dumb with low self-esteem."

I sat down next to my friends.

"You guys are assholes, you know that?" I remarked. Jeff snorted.

"Big talk coming from King Dickhead himself," he replied.

"Oh, that's a nickname I could get behind," Elle remarked as she walked in with a stack of papers. She stood next to me as she handed them to Gareth, and I couldn't look away from her. I was overwhelmed by a wave of her perfume that was floral and light. She refused to look at me. "Take a look at it, let me know if you have any questions, and we can—"

I lunged out and grabbed a pen, immediately signing it. I grinned at her.

"I'd trust you with my life, Belle – I know it's all good," I flirted. She grimaced at me.

"It's Elle," she corrected. She looked at my friends. "I understand if you two choose to not be stupid and actually review a legal document."

They smiled bashfully and nodded. She smiled at them.

"Great – I'm going to help Nick with the bar, feel free to grab some drinks. Congratulations, guys," she said. She refused to look at me and ignored me when I said thank you. I think I was in love.

"Chill out, Munson, Jesus Christ," Jeff hissed. I turned to them.

"She's perfect," I sighed. Jeff groaned.

"You're going to make us lose this gig before we get it," he complained. I shrugged.

"You guys wait – I'll have her worshipping me in no time," I replied, watching Elle as she laughed with the bartender. I felt my chest ache and I got up to order more whiskey from her.

---

"Lead singer's cute," Nick said as he dried a glass. I rolled my eyes.

"He's a jackass," I replied, washing a different glass before handing it to him. He snorted, continuing to look at the three men sitting around.

"He's looking at you," he quipped, bumping me with his hips. I felt that familiar burn of my stupid crush. I scoffed.

"So?"

"Is he one of those from high school?" he asked. I was quiet and he nudged me. "One of those you like to pretend you never met."

"Eddie's different," I replied, looking down.

"How so?"

"He's one of the worst ones," I answered. Nick tutted.

"Oh, Mr. Eddie, how could you do my girl so dirty? She can't even talk about it," my friend teased. I laughed and shoved him.

"You're a prick," I said, making him laugh.

"Apparently not as big of one as Mr. Eddie," he joked, spritzing me with water. I rolled my eyes and went back to washing. "Incoming."

I looked up and sighed heavily. Eddie sauntered up to the bar, grinning wildly.

"I was hoping for another," he explained, setting his glass on the counter. I ignored him, waiting for Nick to help him. We sat for a beat and Eddie cleared his throat. "If you don't mind, Belle."

I glared at Nick, and he was pretending he couldn't hear us. I sighed and grabbed the cheap bottle of whiskey, pouring it into Eddie's glass.

"It's Elle," I repeated, narrowing my eyes at him.

"But don't you think Belle is more suiting? It does mean beautiful girl," he attempted to flirt, leaning over the counter. I didn't move, but I felt a pang in my stomach.

"I'm surprised you know any French – you barely have a mastery over English," I quipped. His grin grew and he clutched his chest.

"You wound me, Belle – you know how to cut a man where it hurts," he replied dramatically. I flashed a menacing smile.

"If only the same man would get a clue," I answered. He laughed loudly and nodded his head. He pulled out a twenty-dollar bill and set it on the counter before he started walking backwards.

"Fair enough, Belle," he said, winking at me. I felt my face burn, but luckily, he had already turned away. I looked down and Nick smacked my arm.

"Is that a blush I see, Ms. Never-Has-Feelings?" he teased. I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, my god – the whole reason I like our friendship is that you don't bug me about that shit," I snapped, storming from behind the counter and starting towards my office.

"Hey, Elle?"

"What?" I snapped, whipping around on my heels. Gareth winced and I felt guilty. "I'm sorry, Gareth – that was rude."

"No, it's okay – I know Munson's annoying. Jeff and I signed it. Thanks for the opportunity," he replied, grinning. I smiled back and took the contract from him.

"Of course – congratulations," I replied. I glanced over and saw Eddie stand and watch me, smirking as he took a sip from his whiskey. My stomach flipped again, and I cursed myself before turning away.

I stormed towards my office. I needed to remember what Eddie did. I needed to remember why I was the way I was.

I wasn't going to let it happen again. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 1.3K 28
This is going to be a full on rockstar story. Lots of smut, lots of drugs, and lots of music. πŸ–€ Corroded Coffin is getting ready to go on their sec...
36.5K 323 75
THIS IS A TWO SERIES BOOK IN ONE! (2 in 1) πŸ«ΆπŸ–€ 𝐼𝑓 π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’ π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘Žπ‘‘π‘–π‘›π‘” π‘‘β„Žπ‘–π‘  𝐼 π‘Žπ‘š π‘π‘œπ‘›π‘ π‘–π‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘¦ π‘‘π‘’π‘Žπ‘‘. 𝐴𝑛𝑑 π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ 𝑛...
12.1K 595 48
Eddie Munson and Olivia Wilson would rather peel their own skin off before spending time together after a line is drawn in the sand in high school. Y...
83.9K 1.9K 34
Y/N Henderson lived a secluded and plain sailing life, but when your younger brother Dustin blackmails you into joining a D&D game with none other th...