A Gambling Man // Ryan x OC

By undercoverbookworm1

Everybody knows the Dutton Family but none of them have made a name for themselves quite like the youngest, M... More

Prologue
Her life
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
2: Prologue
2: Her Life
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
3: Prologue
3: Her Life
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
4: Prologue
4: Her Life
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
5: Prologue
5: Her Life
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
A/N
59

17

4.7K 144 8
By undercoverbookworm1

John sighed as Jamie walked into his office. They needed to have a serious talk after the previous night, especially since they've had time to work through their emotions and focus with a clear mind.

"I suppose I am to blame for you being so angry. You wanted to hurt me but it's not me you hurt, it's your brother and sisters. Sit down," John waited for Jamie to take a seat, "You understand that it's as much their future you've risked as it is your own?"

"Yeah," Jamie whispered, "If I could just-"

"Just what? Explain? What do you want to explain, Jamie?," John cut him off.

"Well I-I um didn't tell her everything," Jamie tried to defend himself. 

"You don't get it," John shook his head, "You gave her a thread, she can weave it into whatever she wants. You better get with her and find out exactly what it is she wants, you understand? And if what she wants is sub rooted in this ranch with some story about me, then you act like my fucking lawyer and sue her and her fucking magazine right back to New York. Do you understand?"

Jamie nodded and turned to leave the room, he had mistakes to fix. As he left his father's office, Mae walked past him without giving him so much as a glance. Archie, Willow and Gus followed, all of them ignoring the now oldest Dutton son.

xxx

Mae, Liam and Charlie were having lunch, laughing together at the clinic. Charlie couldn't stand being stuck on the ranch during the day anymore and begged Mae to let her join them at the clinic. Mae was hesitant until she mentioned that it was closer to the hospital in case Evie wanted to make her appearance during the day. It was especially boring for Charlie since Travis started going to do the odd jobs in the towns surrounding them. This baby had them all on edge but it wasn't looking like she wants to show up soon. 

Liam grimaced as he watched Charlie devour three burgers like it was nothing before turning to Mae and whispering:  "Are you as terrified as I am right now?"

"Oh definitely." 

"Fuck off," Charlie laughed as she threw fries at the two, the three started laughing at each other again, it was nice being together just the three of them. 

The bell above the door jingled and the three turned to see Liam's cousin, Avery, standing there. 

"Can I talk to you, Mae?," she asked as she stood at the door shifting her weight from one foot to the next. Mae nodded and walked with her back towards her office. 

"What happened? Is everybody at the ranch okay?," Mae asked as she sat across from Avery. 

"Nothing, everybody is okay," Avery answered but Mae could see how nervous the girl was.

"Avery, why are you here?"

"I don't want to be a groomer anymore," Avery admitted as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm sorry, I thought you begged Rip to let you stay in the bunkhouse and to work on the ranch?" 

"I did but I changed my mind."

"Is this about Jimmy?," Avery's eyes snapped up surprised that Mae, above anyone else, noticed her and Jimmy getting closer.

"No-not really-well I mean, he did help me realise something about myself and that helped me to make my decision."

"I asked, and I didn't really have the right, so I apologise, but you don't have to explain yourself to me. Also you don't have the brand, you can leave the ranch whenever with no repercussions. So why tell me?"

"I-I want to be a vet. I was watching how you helped on the ranch and that day you saved your dad, I want to be more than a groomer or a stripper. For a long time I thought those were the only two options for me but watching you made me hope that there's another. I don't want to be a groomer that's married to a wrangler for the rest of my life, I like Jimmy, but I want more in life," Avery rambled.

 "I can help with that, if it is what you want," Mae offered as she smiled at the girl. 

"How? I can't afford to study anything. I came to ask for like a part-time job or something that'll pay more than the ranch so I can save up but also like learn from you and Charlie and the other students." 

Mae smiled and nodded: "I'll tell you what, you come and work here as a vet assistant, I'll teach you everything I can and then you study part time to be a vet assistant. After you've completed your assistant degree and you still want to study, I'll pay for that as well." 

"As well?," Avery asked wide eyed. 

"I'll pay for both of your degrees," Mae shrugged like it was obvious. 

"Mae, I can't ask you to do that, I can't accept that," Avery shook her head, wide eyed. 

"You can and if you're still unsure about it, come work here until you can apply for next term. I really don't mind," Mae offered. 

"Are you sure?," Avery asked biting her lip nervously. 

"I wouldn't have suggested it if I wasn't a hundred percent sure," Mae shrugged. 

"Thank you so much," Avery launched herself at Mae and wrapped her arms around her. Mae laughed and hugged her back, she wanted to help. She knew Avery's family could never afford to send her to college and that Avery could do amazing things, she just needed the opportunity. 

"There may still be an extra burger out there if Charlie didn't eat it, that has your name on it."

The two walked out and joined Charlie and Liam with lunch. 

xxx

"Aunty Mae!," 

Mae opened her arms and Tate ran into them. 

"How are you Tater tot?" 

"I'm good, I'm so excited to go hunting with dad and grandpa tomorrow," he grinned and she smiled at the smile on his face. 

"Why don't you go tell Charlie all about it while I quickly talk with your mom," Tate nodded and jumped in Mae's Jeep. 

"Thank you for picking him up," Monica smiled as she awkwardly wrapped her cardigan around herself. 

"Anytime, thank you for letting him come. I know things aren't that great between you and Kayce right now but I want you to know that even if you and Kayce aren't together, I'll always be here for Tate and for you. You're my family too," Mae smiled sadly at Monica. 

"I really appreciate it, thank you."

"I mean it, I'm just a call away," Mae greeted before turning and getting in her car and driving to the ranch. 

It was only John, Mae, Charlie and Tate for dinner, so it was actually nice and enjoyable. Afterwards she helped John get Tate ready for bed before leaving the house to go see Ryan. He told her that Jimmy was competing in the rodeo for the first time and she wanted to see if he was alive. 

"Congrats, Jimmy! That's unbelievable!," Mae laughed as she saw the golden first place buckle. 

"Thank you," Jimmy blushed as he scratched the back of her head. 

Mae stayed to watch a movie, Grease, with the wranglers. She was sitting on Ryan's lap with her head on his shoulder to make sure that there was more than enough space for the rest of her family. 

xxx

Mae sighed as she walked into the house to see a drunk Jamie on the couch, almost ready to pass out. She didn't want to help him but she also couldn't just leave him. 

"C'mon, you need to get to bed," Mae whispered as she wrapped one of his arms around her shoulders and started dragging him up to his room. She tucked him into bed, removed his suit jacket and shoes. 

"I-I killed her," Jamie groaned out, "The reporter. I killed her." 

Mae's eyes widened before she fled his room into her own, she slammed her door closed and dropped to the ground. What the fuck was happening to her family. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

301K 5.6K 48
What if Andy had dark past before she became a cop. What if after her mother left she became a different person, so her father sent her to spend her...
21.5K 864 22
Where Chuuya writes a letter and it ends up on top of the port mafia bosses desk
73.4K 1.7K 28
AdaJane packed up what little she had from Texas to attend Veterinary School in Wyoming where she meets her soul sister, best friend, and college roo...
311K 13.5K 51
"𝐋𝐞𝐭'𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐰𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐝 𝐀𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐨 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐇𝐲𝐮𝐧'𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟�...