In My Skin

By KaraTales

Taylor West is the epitome of self-reliance. Or she must be. Relationships are fickle. Despite finally enroll... More

Author's note
Ch 1 || The Party
Ch 2 || The New Guy
Ch 3 || Doubts
CH 4 || Braids and Worries
CH 5 || A Good Friend and His Sidekick
Ch 6 || At the Lake
CH 7 || Sherlock
CH 8 || His Suffering Face is the Best
CH 9 || Backlash
CH 10 || Fairy tales
CH 11 || Only A Single Regret
CH 12 || Just A Little Mistake
CH 13 || Owing Favors
CH 14 || Repaying Favors
CH 15 || Red Alert
CH 16 || Abandoned Puppies
CH 17 || Halloween Part I
CH 18 || Halloween Part II
CH 19 || Halloween Part III
CH 20 || Halloween Part IV
CH 21 || Library
CH 22 || Out of Bounds
CH 23 || Girl's Night
CH 24 || Temper
CH 25 || Too Cold Without a Jacket
CH 26 || New Years
CH 27 || The Whole Night?
CH 28 || Hedgehogs and Pigeons
Ch 29 || Pranks and Secrets
Ch 31 || Papers and Cuts
CH 32 || Mr. Pokerface
CH 33 || Drowning
CH 34 || Avoid at all Costs
CH 35 || Friends
CH 36 || Spy Stuff
CH 37 || A Terrible Friend
CH 38 || Late-Night Run
CH 39 || This One Stinks
CH 40 || Flashing Lights on Campus
CH 41 || The Quiet Before The Storm
CH 42 || Done With the Lecture, Professor?
CH 43 || Aliens and Saints
CH 44 || My Baby
CH 45 || Sleep On The Couch
CH 46 || Rules
CH 47 || Potential Wells
CH 48 || Hypocrite
CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine
CH 50 || Perfectly Sob
CH 51 || The Dermatologists Are On A Different Floor
CH 52 || The Monster Beneath My Skin
CH 53 || Intervention
CH 54 || His Inner Grumpy Grandpa
CH 55 || The Problem With Plans
CH 56 || Good Plan
CH 57 || One Job
CH 58 || Not Going Anywhere
CH 59 || Love Language
Epilogue || Best Friend
Final Thoughts
Aesthetics

CH 30 || Killy

1.1K 48 223
By KaraTales

The inside of my car was starting to heat up from the sun blasting through the windows but I made no move to get out. The beautiful day did nothing to lighten the boulder sitting on my chest. Another envelope, this one stuck beneath my windshield wipers, was currently crumbled inside my hand. Jules and I were supposed to meet up in five minutes.

Should I read it...or just throw it away?

Ah, fuck it. It couldn't be worse than the other ones.

I took a deep breath and braced myself for another cryptic message. However, there was no folded piece of paper this time. Instead, a single picture fell into my lap. A blond girl wearing a blue beanie and a dark gray jacket stood next to a very familiar car.

I whipped around, twisting in my seat. My eyes searched among the cars and trees spread across the parking lot. It was easy to find the place from where the image was taken. Because I'd parked in the very same spot. And the girl in the photograph was me.

Someone had been watching me. Someone had taken a picture of me without my knowledge.

As if my car suddenly caught fire, I snatched up my backpack, jumped out, and spun in a circle.  A few students mingled at a bench. An old man was walking his chihuahua. Nobody suspicious stood around and nobody seemed to be taking any pictures. 

My hands shook slightly as I ripped the image apart, piece by piece, until only small snippets remained. They landed unceremoniously inside the nearest dumpster.

My shoulders tightened as I marched towards the library, feeling as if somebody was drilling a hole into my neck. Fuck whoever this was. I wouldn't give them the reaction they wanted. Maybe if their little prank didn't work they would give up.

I found Sam sitting next to Jules's laptop, a stack of notes in front of him. He looked up when I dropped my bag and jacket on the chair next to him. "Hey, Tay, Jules went to grab a coffee."

"I think I need one as well. Be right back."

I trudged over to the campus café, trying to act casually. How did I normally walk around? What if I was being watched right now? I shook my head. No. I shouldn't get worked over something stupid like this. It was easy to take a picture of someone.

Yet, I couldn't stop scanning the faces of the people around me. The glaring sun caused the temperature to feel more like spring rather than winter. A few students were outside, enjoying the good weather. They all looked like normal and minded their own business. 

Fuck. This shit was starting to make me paranoid.

The café was crowded but Jules was easy to spot. He was still waiting in line, completely oblivious to the two girls ahead of him who kept turning back to throw him a smile. A smile he didn't even see because he was typing away on his phone.

He didn't notice me either until I was right next to him and nudged his shoulder. 

"There you are," he greeted me, lifting his gaze. Then he paused, scruntinizing my face. "What's wrong?"

Damn. Was I that obvious?

"Nothing," I said. "What's wrong with you? Are you waiting for a call?"

He raised his brow skeptically. "You sure you're good?"

"Yep," I replied, popping the "p" for extra emphasis. If that pseudo stalker thought they could scare me with some letters and a picture they'd be in for a surprise. "Wanna game tonight?" I rubbed my hands. "I'm suddenly itching to kill people..."

"I'm meeting Cody and Killian at the gym later. But afterward, sure."

"You're always at the gym these days," I complained as we moved ahead in the line. I'd barely seen Killian between classes and he saw him nearly every day. Wasn't that unfair? Wait. And where did this thought come from?

"Are you...sulking?" Jules asked, surprised.

I let out a scoff. "You can have him all to yourself if you want. I don't care at all."

He gave me a concerned look. "Who? Wait, do you mean Cody or Killian? I thought you were sad 'casue we haven't been gaming that much."

"No! That's what I meant too..." Okay, I was officially behaving like an idiot. No way was he going to buy that.

"Ah sorry, I thought for a second you were jealous or something," Jules replied with a chuckle. I could only gape at him as he continued, "I didn't mean to cut you out. I'm gonna ask Killian what time he was planning on going tonight. You could always join us, of course."

"Um...I'm good." I wasn't jealous of Jules hanging out with Killian. Because that would be stupid. And I was smart. Yep. 

Speak of the devil.

Killian chose that moment to walk through the door. He ruffled his hair, a frown etched across his brows and suddenly an idea came to mind. This was my chance. Payback time.

I raised my hand, waved, and shouted, "Killy!"

It was hilarious to watch.

As if someone had pressed pause and then play, he stilled going white as a ghost. Then his head snapped up, searching, until those piercing eyes landed on me. They narrowed before he stalked in my direction like a predator catching sight of his prey.

Uh-oh.

A shiver ran down my spine. Was this the time to run? Yes. Yes, it was.

"Well, there he is," I quickly said to Jules. "You guys talk, I'll catch you at the library."

I ducked to the side and dashed to the second door, barely suppressing my laughter. Damn, Killian's face had been gold.

The exit was within reach when a hand grasped the back of my jacket and I was lifted. "Hey!"

"Well, well, well." Killian's husky voice spoke into my ear. "What do we have here?"

"Jules wanted to talk to you," I explained in an innocent tone. "You missed him. I'll just be on my way then," I trailed off at the dangerous glint in his eyes.

He reached past my head, opened the door, and then everything turned upside down as he strode out of the café with me dangling over his shoulder.

Oh, God.

I hid my face inside my hands but my shoulders shook from trying not to crack up. "Ki-Killy." I said in a shaky voice. "L-let me down."

His steps halted for a second but then he resumed walking.

"Killy!" I doubled up. Too bad I couldn't see his face.

"What's my name?"

Tears sprang into my eyes and my stomach started to hurt. His what-the fuck expression had been so worth it. "Killy," I managed to press out between laughs.

"I don't think so," he said in a wry tone.

I calmed down a bit when I noticed that the few students mingling around were all staring at us. "Kil-ly." I pressed my lips together. "Let me down. Everyone's looking."

"So? I don't think you've started seeing reason yet."

"Okay, okay fine!" My face was starting to flush. And it wasn't just because I was hanging upside down. "Killian. Let me down. Please?"

The world shifted and I was back on my feet, swaying. His hands grasped my shoulders.

I tried my best to glare but as soon as I looked up, my chin trembled. I quickly dropped my gaze.

Don't laugh, don't laugh...

Killian crossed his arms and stared me down. "I see you've become brave."

My hands went to my hips. "Complaining about a nickname is rich coming from you, don't you think? Killy."

He made a face. "At least call me Kel..."

I grinned. "If you stop calling me Princess I'll think about it."

"What am I supposed to call you then?"

"How about my name?"

He squinted down at me. "Fine. If you promise to never call me that again. Deal?"

"Deal," I said, beaming.

His face relaxed. "So where were you headed?"

"I was going to grab a coffee."

He tugged at my sweatshirt. "Let's go then."

Um...going back, past all the people who'd seen me slung over his shoulder. No, thank you. "Actually, I think I'm awake now."

His eyes twinkled with mischief. "If you say so, P.T."

"P.T.?"

"For Princess Taylor. You told me to use your name, right?" And with those words, he sauntered toward the library, leaving me frozen.

I finally found my voice. "Hey!"

"Don't forget your promise," he shot over his shoulder.

"You cheater!" I yelled and raced after him. With a running start, I jumped onto his back and hung on like a monkey. 

His hands wound around my legs, lifting me higher, and then he simply continued walking as if nothing happened.

Okay, this was not going according to plan. Assuming, I'd had one. "Hey," I repeated more subdued. 

"What's the problem, your highness? Not high enough?" He bent forward and I yelped as I slipped toward the ground, my hands clasping his shoulders.

In reality, his grip on me remained steady but it was enough to make me lose my breath for a second. I punched his back. "Stop it. Just so you know this promise is nullified." 

"I wouldn't hit the person who's carrying you," was his only reply.

Ugh. Against my will, the corners of my lips arched up. "You know that you're a giant pain, right?"

"Whatever you say, your highness."

I gave up. "Then to the library, peasant!"

I grinned when he let out cough. This day was turning out much better than I had anticipated—

"Killy?" a high voice called out.

And just like that the happy bubble around us burst. What impeccable timing.

Alicia blinked at us wide-eyed. Killian straightened. 

I tapped his shoulder and said quietly, "Let me down."

He ignored me. "I told you to stop calling me that."  

"Ah sorry, I just accidentally... Old habit I guess." She chuckled nervously.

"Then fix your habit," Killian said, his cold tone a stark contrast to just a few seconds ago.

"Wait," she said quickly when he turned away. "I wanted to talk to you."

"I'm busy."

I tried to hop off his back, but his grip tightened. "Killian. Come on."

"Killian, they're doing it again," she emphasized and I could feel his muscles tighten. "I think you might want to hear what I have to say."

And what was that supposed to mean?

He finally set me down.

"Um...Tay?" Jared appeared out of nowhere, his gaze moving between us before it settled one me. "Do you have a minute?"

"Uh... sure."

Killian touched my arm. His soft voice didn't match the dark look in his eyes. "I'll wait for you."

I nodded. I couldn't help but watch Killian and Alicia exchange a words, until Jared led me around the corner and my sight was cut off. 

"So, what's up?" I asked him. 

He shot me a shy smile. "I wanted to see how you were doing."

He really couldn't take a hint, could he? "Jared," I said in a patient voice. "I'm sorry, but I'm really not interested in dating right now."

"Actually, I wanted to apologize for that. I think I came on too strong..." He scrunched up his face. "I made you uncomfortable, didn't I?"

Yes. "Oh. Well..."

"I get it. Actually, I wanted to suggest something."

I raised my brows.

"Um..." He scratched at his chin. "I'd like for us to talk if it's alright with you. Just normally. I know it might be weird but we could try to be friends?"

Friends? "Um...sure?"

His smile was sincere when he said, "Nice."

"That doesn't mean I forgot everything though."

He held up his hands. "I know, I know. I would actually be a good idea if you didn't." He grinned at my stunned expression. "You know, for character-building purposes. I usually don't have to work for these things."

"Oh. I forgot. You're the star quarterback." I took in his tousled dark hair, striking gray eyes, and broad shoulders. The few students that were out and about kept sneaking glances at us. We were drawing attention. I could already hear the rumors circulating.

"See. I knew you would react like that."

I refocused on him. "Like what?"

Jared watched me. "Like you don't care. A lot of people would like to be seen in public with me."

Right. I rolled my eyes. "If they like the attention maybe."

"So...I hope I'm not overstepping, but what's your deal with Killian? You don't have to answer of course, but I thought you guys didn't get along. It's just confusing."

"Oh..." Now I had to say something or it would sound suspicious. "We are...friends. I guess."

"I see..."

"Just friends?" an impatient voice cut in.

I jerked in surprise.

Killian appeared, holding two cups of coffee. "I'd say best friends at least after all we've been through together, right, P.T?"

Could he make it sound any more...weird? "Haha." 

I glared at him. He smirked. 

"Are you ready?" Killian asked. "Jules just came to ask where you went."

"Oh, yeah, I guess."

For a brief second, a shadow crossed Jared's face but then he smiled and just said, "Alright, Tay, I'll catch you later then." 

Must have been my imagination. 

As soon as his back disappeared around the corner, Killian asked in a bored voice, "So, what did he want?"

"Nothing special, he just wanted to apologize for something."

A loud sigh made me lift my head.

"What?"

"Nothing." He pushed one of the cups into my hand. "Don't worry, it's oat milk," he reassured me before I could ask.

I hid a smile. "Well. What about Alicia? You two worked it out?" 

A wall slammed over his face. "I guess."

I stopped mid-stride, suddenly cold. So much for being best friends, huh? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94 7 5
Enemies to lovers trope 16 year old Lily was struggling. You'd think that living in the always-sunny California and being the 5'2 brunette with green...
105K 3.4K 102
Evanna Austen a freshman in college, starts out her journey with her friends. After successfully passed out her freshman year she was ready to began...
2.6K 155 34
With a drug lord for a father and an addict for a mother, Jade Taylor has been dealt a pretty shabby hand in life. Her childhood was spent in a const...
55.6K 1.3K 51
Grief. It can tear someone's life apart or make them stronger. Though that may be true, Bethane only feels the pain. She lost the person who made her...