and we fell

By amyhopeey

SOFIA My life was always supposed to be described in one word. Perfect. I am the perfect princess from the pe... More

note
playlist
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Epilogue
Extended Epilogue
thank you

Chapter 1

21.6K 458 113
By amyhopeey

SOFIA

As the car rolls down the driveway and through the huge opened doors, I still can't believe I'm here. At Wrencore University. I know, it is still one of the safest universities in the country and many of the students also come from important families, but at least it has other students. I am not going to be alone with a tutor anymore, learning about the world locked between four-walls.

"Are you excited, Your Royal Highness?" I can hear Darrel say from the passenger's seat. He is staying in front, next to the driver. Although Darrel has been my bodyguard for almost ten years now, he knows me ever since I was eight, he never agreed to call me by my first name, Sofia. Although I've tried thousands of times to convince him.

"I am," I whisper, looking outside the window. The campus is beautiful. Every building has brick walls, seeming to step out of a fairytale. Something about this place just screams fancy. I love it.

"Should we go over the security measures again?" he asks. I shake my head. I've heard them at least a thousand times so far. Don't draw attention to yourself. Don't go in dangerous situations. Trust no one. Remember you are the princess.

You'll never be able to escape.

"I think we're good here, Darrel," I respond, letting out a small chuckle. His grey eyes wonder to the mirror to see me.

"Your Royal Highness, I just want to make sure you're going to be safe," he whispers and I nod thankfully. When it comes to safety, Darrel has done his job perfectly so far. I've been more than safe. I've been over-safe. Even back home in Cordelia, where I rarely went outside of the palace grounds, he made sure I'll never hurt myself. Every pointy object was taken away from me. Every rose I got had already removed thorns. I can't say that I don't appreciate the efforts he's done and still does for me. Yet, I wish I can live a bit more from now on. Live a normal life. Go to college. Make some friends.

I want the freedom. I want to feel the wind in my hair. I want to feel the thorns.

"Are you sure you want to live in a dorm?" he asks whispering and I snap.

"For the millionth time, yes. I do want to live in a dorm."

Darrel sighs a bit disappointed. Me living in a dorm means more stress for him. He will have to move in the room next door, worrying that I might be poisoned or something and he won't be there. And yet I want to do this. I want to live in a dorm room. Have roomies. Share memories. He's going to be my shadow anyway when I step out of that room. Even when I am in that room. Just because he doesn't live in the same room with me, doesn't mean he can't always be there. My parents agreed to let him be in my shadow 24/7. The only time in which I am free is when I sleep. And that's not exactly what I call freedom.

The car stops and we arrive in front of the college's main building with the secretary and principal's office. The school started two weeks ago, I however was only allowed to arrive today. Given the fact I am a princess, extra security measures had to be taken in order for me to attend. More cameras. Interrogations with the staff. I'm surprised Wrencore actually agreed with me coming here. I guess they only did it for the image. There have been members of royal families attending this university before, but they didn't have one in over twenty years. The other royals my age usually go to the other Ivy Leagues. Which was exactly the reason I chose it.

I want to open my car door, Darrel beats me to it. He opens the door, obviously in his black suit with white shirt and black tie, helping me out. My long dress reaches the ground and I feel so out of place, looking at the other students wearing jeans and T-Shirts. I want to be like them. I can't. And the small tiara on my head right now is a constant reminder of it.

My Father is King Michael, King of Cordelia. My Mother is Queen Charlotte. Our country is a small country in Europe. My parents wanted me to continue my studies in Cordelia, or at least somewhere in Europe, yet I decided to go study in the States. It was hard to convince them, even had to bribe my older brother Karl to help me. Karl is the heir to the throne, the one who one day will inherit the kingdom. Growing up, our parents tried to raise us as normal as possible and avoid the topic that one day, he'll be my ruler and the one I'll have to address as "My king". At every gala, Father and Mother would introduce us both as "the Prince and Princess of Cordelia". They would never say "Karl, the heir to the throne and Sofia, the spare". Although, that is the truth. Karl's future is to bring our country forward. Make new laws that will make our people proud. Mine on the other hand is to smile nicely and cut ribbons. And to look perfect. Hence the long purple sleeveless satin dress I'm wearing right now, the gloves made in the same color and fabric that reach my elbow and the pearls. Around my wrist, my neck and hanging from my ears. I look like a princess.

Followed by Darrel I enter the school building. As I walk along the corridor, I can feel everyone's stare on me. Analyzing me. Studying me. Taking pictures. Cameras.

Too many cameras. The lights. Blinding. Consuming. Every move. They watch it. They see me.

Some guys whistle after me. Some girl scream "You go, girl". I smile politely at everybody. It doesn't matter if I like them or not. They want me to smile. So that's what I am going to do.

I don't take any deep breath until I reach the door with "Mr. Fierd, Principal" on it. I sigh and push down the doorknob. The moment I enter, the Principal stands up and does a curtsy. Oh my Gosh. No.

"Your Royal Highness," he says and doesn't sit down until I nod at him, acknowledging his curtsy.

"Please, call me Sofia. Or Miss Estair. I am your student," I respond and gladly sit down as he makes me a sign pointing to the empty chair in front of him. He then turns to look at the man behind me, who didn't sit down, just guards me from my back. 

Noticing Darrel makes no move to sit down, the principal also asks him: "Do you want to take a seat?"

Darrel only shakes his head. The principal looks disappointed for a second, then sits down on his chair and looks straight at me.

"Your Royal Highness...," he begins. I snap.

"Sofia."

"Miss Estair," he adds. Fine, I'll let him use that. "I've been informed you are here for a Political Science major. Is that right?"

I only nod. That was part of the conditions my parents gave me for my stay here. I'm able to study abroad, if I study International Relations. I accepted. I knew that this would be my major ever since I came in elementary school. This is one of the only majors considered fitting for a princess. It was obvious I had to do it.

"We've created you a timetable", he says, pushing a paper towards me. I look at it. It is filled with classes that have relatively normal names. Nothing like "Ballroom Manners" or "The Philosophy of a curtsy", just some examples of the courses my tutor would give me. I smile pleased.

"We also created a list of the extracurriculars the security team the King and Queen sent approved." Because it's totally normal for one's parents to send a security team before your arrival at college to check the place and interrogate the staff.

Luckily the security team left, and I only remained with Darrel. They would just make me feel less free.

I want to run.

"Thank you," I answer politely, trying to forget about my voice inside. It's always there. Telling me things. Wanting to do what everyone else doesn't expect from me. Break the rule. Be myself. Breathe. I can never get rid of it. It's always there. Another reminder of how pathetic I am. A little doll, that only lives for the others.

"Where am I going to live?" I ask, trying to bring the conversation on a positive note again. And to forget about the voice.

"We assigned you to a dorm room in the Cecilly Hall," he says proud and hands me some more papers. I sneak a glance and see four names I don't know written in bold letters. My new roommates.

"We've already spoken with the girls and they are all very excited to meet you. They are all freshmen like you. You have a law major, a drama one, an English literature major and a music major. They are all really nice and I'm sure they're going to make you feel welcomed," the principal says. I want to meet them.

"Given the fact it's Monday, your classes start tomorrow. If you want, you can take the day off to accommodate," he continues. I stop him.

"That won't be necessary, thank you very much. I want to go to class."

"Perfect. Then, I'll leave you to it then. I know how excited you must be to meet your new roommates," he replies. I nod to show him he's right.

I stand up and want to leave, with Darrel in my shadow. Just as I am at the door, the principal's voice stops me: "Miss Estair."

Finally he didn't call me Your Royal Highness anymore.

"Yes?"

"We've already informed your new roommates about your bodyguard and that he might often be around you." What he meant is that he'll be around me 24/7. I gave him some credits that he didn't put it like that though. "They accepted and won't ask many questions. They all agreed to it."

"Thank you so much," I respond, really being grateful. The last thing I need right now are hundreds of questions about why I have a bodyguard.

"I hope you'll enjoy your time here at Wrencore University," he says, proud of his position. He must love this school.

"I'm sure I will," I reply and after a short nod as greeting, I step outside.

And for some reason, the last thing I said didn't seem to be a lie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.1K 449 60
"I'm the most eligible bachelor of America I'm a billionaire and you're rejecting me" "YES" "Tell me what you want I'll give you anything" " Anything...
11 0 8
Everyone of us experience love in one or the other form. Let it be an innocent crush or a soul melting love. We build our fantasies around them hopin...
5.2M 163K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...
60.6K 2.2K 98
Meet Sarah, 20 years, a sweet and tender-hearted young girl, who, despite facing the harshness of life, always puts others' needs before her own. Her...